Resolved/Answered chat and activity

Isla

I don't like the chat on stc. It stalks my activity and makes the purpose of not checking "show your current activity" irrelevant because every time I do something, like post a new thread, it shows it on the chat when I have "show your current activity" not checked. I am self conscious about letting people know exactly what I'm doing every minute I'm online, so I would hope there's a way to resolve this because that chat thing showing off my activity is making me uncomfortable .___.

Hey Kalon.

Chat doesn'the show all activity. It just shows posts in the introductions, the help desk and the bulletin board. And only the first time the topic is posted, and not replies to threads. This is so, especially for the help desk, we can see when people are posting topics that they might need help with and sees the topic in chat, they can hopefully help straight and way.

With the bulletin board, it hopefully will get that idea extra interest. I know that if the title says something I could enjoy, I click on it, otherwise I don'the check the bulletin board all that often.

For the welcome posts, it also gives us a chance to welcome the new users that post, when they post too.

So it really isn't there to follow users at all. :)

Yeaaahhh, like I said, I don't like people seeing any of my activity, so I wouldn't even want people seeing the help desk activity on chat and would rather they just come over and see it if they go to the help desk forum. -__-

I'll just PM you guys next time because that'd probably be better than nothing.

As Cream said, the announcement is largely for forums where it's important for people to see activity quickly. We don't want our new users - or worse - someone needing assistance waiting hours for someone to notice their thread. Wet set those key forums to announce into chat, so people will immediately see posts, and thus those users can get immediate replies. For example, if you had PMed a staff member instead of posting here, you may not have gotten a reply for hours rather than the reply you received by Cream in 9 minutes. For you, you may be okay with that, but this is a request that impacts every single user beyond just you.

I can appreciate you not personally liking this system, but as Cream said, it's specifically only when new threads are created so that users can get the assistance and attention that they need and deserve as quickly and efficiently as possible. Our site advertises openly that it's a community driven site, and we would not want to sacrifice this aspect of openness to the detriment of many.

That said, as Cream already touched upon, the chat doesn't announce everything. Only new threads posted in those specific forums. It is my hope you can understand why we maintain it this way for the benefit of the users, and tolerate it in the brief instances you need to utilize those three forums and rest easy knowing your each and every post move isn't going to be announced into chat.

Also just to clarify, the 'show current activity' only impacts current activity. As in, activity you're doing that can't normally be seen.

Activity_zpsxevhbnec.png

Activity2_zpst6lit1jx.png

It will have no impact on recent activity, only current. This means things like the chat announcer, or the activity tab that lists all activity, won't be effected. These events/action are completed and now in the past so to speak. But people won't be able to see what forums you're looking at, or what you're doing as you navigate around the site.

Last edited:
Back