New User Does a lover of word games such as Scrabble and Anagrams make them a good writer?

Tygarde

I do not know. I'm here to find out if my writing's up to snuff. Oh, I'm not those crazy tourney players who memorize all the words. Just a casual. I don't even have to know the meaning of these words. Just know that they're valid. Scrabble relies more on mathematical/analytical than grammatical skills.
Let me sit in this circle here and toss my captain's log into the fire.
Crackle. Sizzle. Oh no! Ashes.

Greetings! I look forward to seeing how your Scrabble skills hold up to RP writing! Me, I am an atrocious speller, and scrabble stresses me out.

Howdy Tygarde. As an avid reader long before I attempted to write anything, I can assure you; don't discount the power of a building lexicon with nowhere to go. Amass enough words, and eventually meaning in some will arise if only out of curiosity. Keep hanging around letters and you'll be compelled to arrange them in ways for more than points. It's a slippery slope.

Scrabble relies more on mathematical/analytical than grammatical skills.

Generally speaking, there's two "kinds" of writers. So called 'discovery' writers (yours truly amongst them) and plotters/out-liners. Both can be equally valid, but the latter tend to find an analytical approach to their writing helpful. An outline is just an equation with fuzzy math; "This dramatis personae plus this plot divided by these tropes equals success."

Can't promise you'll find the bug here, but you're approved and cleared to risk it at your peril. Welcome to Storyteller's Circle!

Word games are fun!

It definitely does rely more on mathematical/analytical skills, but I think that mathematical/analytical skills lend themselves quite nicely into writing! I love the way you ended your thought. An image, stretched out, a thought made apparent and then - broken down! Crackle! Sizzle. Ashes. According to the internet, 'sizzle' is 24 points in scrabble, but 25 in words with friends. I assumed the two games were exactly the same, but it appears the latter is slightly more generous. Either way, a win, as it's nice to meet you :)

Back