Don't fear the Reaper

JayJay1234g

Chapter 1: There must be some mistake ...

I wander through the small town, eyes darting from one corner of the street to the next, the sound of rustling leaves reaching my ears from beyond the town walls, my heart beating slowly, unnaturally slowly for what I was about to do.
It wasn't a pleasant job, finding those who's hour glasses had become empty, I didn't get any thanks for doing it, and even after doing it countless times I hadn't gotten anymore used to it than when I started.
I entered a small, brick house at the end of the street, throwing away the bit of wheat I had been chewing on, I walked past the lady at the door, presumably the house keeper, as quick as she was to start complaining about my un-invited entry, she ceased talking in an instant, ignoring me and leaving through the door, a blank look on her face, I close the door after her and head up the stairs, reaching the second floor I stop, close my eyes and listen, there was a loud buzzing coming from two doors down, I open my eyes and proceed to open the door, inside I find a young girl who only looked to be in her teen years, using a spinning wheel and softly humming to herself, I reel back at the sight of this, the buzzing intensifying, I pull out a simple black book from out of my cloak and check the third page again, reading out the name "Madi" to myself. I enter the room and touch the girl on her forehead, "Hello little miss, what is your name?", quietly, almost like a whisper, she replied with "Madi ..." Again I pull back in shock, I look around the room, how could a girl in her teenage years die now? There was nothing dangerous in the room, in fact, there was almost nothing in the room in general, only the girl, a spinning wheel and the small stool she was sitting on, I open a nearby closet using my own special Skeleton Key, reaching in I pull out my scythe, the girl continues spinning and humming to herself, I walk behind her and line up the edge of my scythe with her neck, whispering into her ear "I'm sorry ..." as I cleave her head from her shoulders ...

Entering the capital city, I enter a local tavern in my human guise, I order a pint of beer and listen to local rumors, apparently a local duke by the name of "Arthur" had taken up residence here, as soon as I heard his name, a faint buzzing in my ear had started, it was coming from right outside the tavern doors ...

Back