Echos [incomplete]

Imbion

Supreme Edgelord
• An incomplete thing I had in my google docs. I figured I would post it here. I might even complete it, who knows.

The sound of water raining off of the cliff echoed throughout the moonlit cave. Nothing but the waterfall and the flowing movement of the stream could be heard...
Suddenly, that silence was interrupted by panicked footsteps. Someone was running, and the sound of stone being touched by shoes rang out. It was a man, wearing a scarf and a coat. Sounds of falling rocks came after the footsteps and he looked back.
"Good grief... Well, at least they can't chase me anymore, but... How do I get out? Is there even an exit?"
He seemed exhausted and was shivering. The man slowed down to a normal walking pace and looked around. He seemed interested in learning the deal of this strange space, yet still was on alert... It was clear that he feared the people chasing him and was worried of them finding a way into the place he was trapped into... If there's a way out, there's a way in.
And yet, despite his heart racing, despite his adrenaline pumping through his veins, despite his life being in danger, he felt a calmness emanating from this place. There was nothing, nothing but the water, the cave and the opening letting in the moonlight. The opening... No, he wouldn't be able to make it through. Even if there were some rocks to climb out... His leg had been injured by those chasing him. He could feel the blood flowing down his body.
The man walked over to the stream and took a seat. His entire body ached with a pain he had never felt before. Not only was he physically injured, but he had used a dangerous amount of magic in an attempt to escape. Even that cave in was forced by a powerful magic blast. He was tired and in need of a rest, but he felt that it was no time for that. The man sat there anyways, just looking on at the water.
After a few minutes of silent sitting, he sensed a presence behind him. Alarmed, he quickly turned his head.
"Oh... Thank the gods, it's just a mere water spirit..."
The transparent figure moved around a bit more, before eventually sitting by him. He could tell that it was merely curious about him and not something conjured by the enemy. It could sense how weak he was and it put its hand on his arm.
"Yeah, I'm injured all right. But I'm safe... For now."
The spirit made a curious sound. He seemed able to understand what it was saying.
"They fear me... That's why they are chasing me down. They want to stop me before I become strong enough to defeat them all... Funny, isn't it? I wouldn't of even turned a head at them if they just left me alone. But no, they have to chase me down... That's how grudges get formed."

Back