Fantasy Authors

Bernar

Hi.
I just finished the first book of the mistborn trilogy so
SPOILER ALERT
I am somewhat disappointed. It is almost as if Sanderson wrote 500 pages of build-up to the ending, but when he got to the ending he suddenly got lazy and just wanted to finish the book. The story pace got from slow to hectic and most of the important events and discoveries happened in the last pages. Furthermore of the only two characters that he spent time developing, the least developed and most cliché one is the only one who survived and will appear in the next books, which totally cripples my will to read them.

Ever since I started reading fantasy, only a handful of books really made me want to keep reading even after the story was over. Fortunately, one of those authors did just that. I am talking about Joe Abercrombie. I read his first trilogy (The blade itself, Before they are hanged, the last argument of kings).
I am about to read his Red Country standalone which takes place in the same world as the trilogy. Much like Tolkien's Hobbit and LOTR do.
Other authors and books that were heavily recommended to me, unavoidably ended up disappointing me. One example is, at the risk of offending some of you, Robert Jordan. Now I could tell he was a terrific writer, extraordinary even. But I still did not like his work for several reasons.
And a few years ago when I read George Martin's books I could not put them down, which is usually a good thing, but it ruined the series for me. I still watched it though. On a side note it is interesting how, when I read the books I consistently skimmed the Daenerys bits, but when I watched the series I enjoyed those bits the most. But admittedly, Emilia Clark is the reason for this :D

So yes. I find it extremely hard to find fantasy books that appeal to me, but I love the genre. Which really leaves me in this limbo and its so freaking annoying.

What about you? Also do you have any suggestions for me? I promise I will give them a shot before I shoot them down :D

There's a series of young adult novels called Artemis Fowl. I did all my book reports on them, so that should give you an idea of how much I liked them. The main character, though a kid, wasn't annoying, and the support cast was great, with the butler being especially badass. In short, if you'd like to read what would happen if James Bond took place in the world of Harry Potter, im sure you'd enjoy it.

There's a series of young adult novels called Artemis Fowl. I did all my book reports on them, so that should give you an idea of how much I liked them. The main character, though a kid, wasn't annoying, and the support cast was great, with the butler being especially badass. In short, if you'd like to read what would happen if James Bond took place in the world of Harry Potter, im sure you'd enjoy it.

But it's a YA book. If the target audience are kids, I will most certainly not like it. I was thinking of something more...adulty? I have no idea if that is even an actual word but you get the point lol.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Despite him being one of my favorite authors, I can definitely see how Robert Jordan's works may not appeal to others. Whether it's the hundreds of pages of over-elaborate descriptions, or the staggeringly sexist way he portrays the interactions between men and women, he's got his faults.

Personally, I enjoy David and Leigh Weddings. Their two series, the Belgariad and the Mallorean, may be completely full of common fantasy tropes, they're done so unironically and unapologetically. It's a genuine fantasy setting of traditional Good versus Evil.

Check out the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Starting with Wizards First Rule.

Spoiler Alert:

The wizards first rule is that humans are stupid and will believe anything. Basically.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect.

I loved the series, though it did drag out and whatnot in some of the books. It's like 11 books long.

And if you've seen the TV show that failed based on this series, don't let it ruin your opinion. It's a pretty decent series imo. My favorite actually.
It's very cliche, but with plenty of non-cliche stuff mixed in.

Despite him being one of my favorite authors, I can definitely see how Robert Jordan's works may not appeal to others. Whether it's the hundreds of pages of over-elaborate descriptions, or the staggeringly sexist way he portrays the interactions between men and women, he's got his faults.

Personally, I enjoy David and Leigh Weddings. Their two series, the Belgariad and the Mallorean, may be completely full of common fantasy tropes, they're done so unironically and unapologetically. It's a genuine fantasy setting of traditional Good versus Evil.

I will give it a try, though cliché is the opposite of what I like I can still enjoy it if it is well written.

Check out the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Starting with Wizards First Rule.

Spoiler Alert:

The wizards first rule is that humans are stupid and will believe anything. Basically.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect.

I loved the series, though it did drag out and whatnot in some of the books. It's like 11 books long.

And if you've seen the TV show that failed based on this series, don't let it ruin your opinion. It's a pretty decent series imo. My favorite actually.
It's very cliche, but with plenty of non-cliche stuff mixed in.

I have read part of his first book. The fact that he lives out his sexual fantasies through the main character made me question the series. But what made me put it down is the fact that he can barely write and his book was so much more of an Ayn Rand manifesto than an actual fantasy book. I think i only read half the book so my opinion might be totally wrong.

LoL. You could be entirely correct. I don't really know who Ayn Rand is.

Maybe it's just because I started reading it when I was young and it just stuck around in my head as an awesome series. Like Harry Potter.

LoL. You could be entirely correct. I don't really know who Ayn Rand is.

Maybe it's just because I started reading it when I was young and it just stuck around in my head as an awesome series. Like Harry Potter.

Ayn Rand was also a fantasy author but she became famous for her philosophical views. She actually had a pretty huge following, they were famous for their fanaticism.
It was a new religion pretty much.

Back