Fantasy, or Sci-fi?

Phoenix

A jack of many trades
I would love to get to know fellow roleplayers, and their favorite genres! So I'll ask, which would you prefer? Fantasy, with magic, elves, and giants? Or Sci-fi with aliens and mechs?

I'd do either, but I lean more toward fantasy. I like sci-fi, but I'm not very good at creating those types of worlds.

Incredibly difficult for me to choose, in all honesty- I grew up on a lot of fantasy narratives, but have found myself drawn to Sci-fi recently. I think that - for roleplaying - it is much easier for me to work in fantasy settings. You just get to relax - while throwing elves with spears at eachother, lol.

I know you expect a simple answer to this. But there isn't one for me. Genre isn't enough on it's own merit to draw attention. You also need Tone.

For example. Lord Of The Rings is fantasy. But it has an entirely different tone from another fantasy series, Percy Jackson.

The Same with Sci-Fi. Bladerunner Is significantly different from, Ready Player One.

I'd love to debate the importance of Genre>Tone vs. Tone>Genre. But for now sadly, I have to say, I like them both equally.

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE, MIO AMORE! Places arm overhead and falls on the couch all dramatic, then giggles Just teasing, but yeah, I can't truly choose one over the other, I love all. So, I'm going with the invisible option for both.

Oooh, that’s a toughie. I am currently in a fantasy rp server on Discord and I’ve been on a sci fi one too before it died. Imma based this off the characters I’ve played before. I played an anthropomorphic Xenomorph (I know, weird) on the sci fi server and had fun with that. I also played other characters (A shapeshifting alien, a Scottish radioactive slime monster, and a woman who was half worm, kinda like a lamia) but no one seemed to care about those and only cared about the Xenomorph. On the fantasy server, I have two orcs, a goblin who’s a scientist, a wolf/bull hybrid Viking, and a fairy. A lot of people love those characters more. I don’t know where I’m going with this tbh but imma go with fantasy. I guess there’s more possibilities with that than science fiction.

Back