Favorite skills/abilitys/powers in fiction?

I’ve always been partial to good old super strength, with a small twist. Whether my character knows it or not, his ability is actually “intertia control”, sometimes just as a subconsious ability, increasing his own inertia to mimic durability, or decreasing his enemy’s, so they go flying after a hit, hypothetically. It’s fun to play around with, though, as you give a typically boring ability a measure of utility, and you can mess around with how you’d use it in one situation or another. Decreasing something in order to break it down, increasing someone so they don’t hurt themselves while falling, or to keep them from moving, all that nonsense.

And it’s funny to me when my character just thinks he’s a glorified weightlifter.

i love superpowers but my favorite is probably shifting because my inner 12 year old is a fricken furry

(i don't talk about grade/middle school for a reason)

i'm also reminded of that one tumblr post discussing "useless superpowers", which amuses me to no end.

I love abilities that have to do with nature, such as manipulating elements or communication with animals. I'm even attempting to try out a Druid character right now, and that's interesting.

Im a fan of healing magic and powers, or even alchemy (steampunk alchemist) and other supporting types of fantastical abilities. Succor to my allies! :)

Literally anything to do with Nature.
You can control water? That's fantastic!
Give yourself that perfect windblown look at will? I'm in awe.
Heat things up in the bedroom by lighting the 50 candles that were absolutely necessary with a snap of your fingers? Ok... That's cool, but why 50?
Actually move the earth for your loved one? Awesome, but you might cause the apocalypse.

I love anything that has to do with nature, and being able to control it or even better, work with it in a symbiotic relationship has always been my dream power.
For me this would include being able to work with fire, air, earth, and water. All these combined together would allow the control of plants in my mind, as plants use all four elements to grow. I would also love to be able to speak to animals, because who doesn't want to know what they're thinking?
Just the thought of being able to heal the planet where others have done it harm makes me want to squeal like a little girl. It's my one wish for a superpower, and the power I always talk myself out of giving my characters.

~WimsyWillow

Pyrokinesis, or fire manipulation in general. Yeah, I know, it's pretty standard, overused, and boring. But you have to hear me out.

See, I'm that annoying kind of person who overthinks fantasy stuff like fictional races or superpowers. So one day, I decided it would be a good idea to overthink pyrokinesis. So, the most basic part of pyrokinesis is the ability to start a fire with your mind right? So, the three requirements for starting a fire are fuel (something to burn), oxygen, and heat. And to be able to start a fire somewhere that's not already burning or about to burn, you have to be able to produce one, some, or all of these with your mind.

No, really think of it.

• Fuel: If you can create fuel with your mind, then it follows that you're able to create matter with your mind. That would be useful because you'll literally never be caught empty-handed. You could just conjure up whatever thing you need, the same way you conjure up fuel for your fires!
  • Oxygen: Being able to create oxygen at will would also be really useful. You'd be able to constantly resupply yourself with oxygen when you're underwater, or in any other situation where you'd be unable to breathe.
  • Heat: You could kill people just from this. Instead of taking the time to get fuel and oxygen to start a fire, you could just boil all the water in a person by increasing their temperature that high. It's also worth noting that heat is a form of energy, so the ability to create heat makes you an infinite source of energy (assuming there's no max amount of heat you can make)!
Boring powers can get really, really interesting when you overthink them!

Dimensional Storage, like Noctis and the line of Lucis from FFXV, my God I adored the Power of Kings.

Back