Interest Check - Ad Astra: A space opera with a twist.

Griffith

good old-fashioned loverboy
Ad Astra
ad astra : (latin) to the stars

Since the beginning of time, Mankind has always been enamoured with the stars. Civilisations rose and fell in the light of the galaxies above; Man built the foundations of their knowledge based on the constellations dotting the sky. The stars have watched over humanity for as long as it existed, and for almost as long, humanity has looked up to the stars with reverence.

The turning of the millennia came and went. Slowly, mankind's dreams of exploring the stars became a reality. The first man landed on the moon. A century later, it was Mars, and eventually Man's presence dotted the known galaxy. The stars were no longer a distant dream. Rather, it had become Man's future, from the Earth heartland to Titan to Centauri IV. Colonies took root on planets away from Earth, and slowly Man conquered the stars.

But Man has never been a race of people to be content with what they had. The universe only became more mysterious once all eyes fell upon the edge of the unknown, an enigma waiting to be solved. What lay beyond the known universe was something so magnetic and strange that Man simply could not settle for what they already had. And so, Man came up with a solution. In 2471, a fleet of exploration starships left the space dock on Kepler-452b, headed into deep space on a 10-year exploration mission- to document and to observe, carrying the hopes and dreams of Man to the final frontier.

Of the 7 starships sent out, only a projected 3 were expected to return. Space, as much as Man romanticised and revered it, was a singularly cruel and merciless vacuum filled with uncertainty. One by one the starships lost connection with the Kepler Space Center, and Man held their collective breaths as they disappeared over the horizon, away to the unknown.

Year 2479. The UC-9011 Taiyang encountered a violent confrontation with a hitherto unknown force. Though this encounter confirmed the existence of extraterrestrial life, the Taiyang was left heavily damaged, with no way to return to Earth territory to relay the information it had collected. The discovery of alien life was far overshadowed by the despair which ravaged the ship. Nearly 90% of the crew members perished in the confrontation, leaving behind approximately a hundred officers and personnel left onboard. The energy core of the ship was heavily damaged, auxiliary power keeping life support systems online slowly leaking away into the vacuum of space. Warp cores have sustained extensive damage, and it is estimated that auxiliary powers will shut down in around 50 days unless the remaining crew reaches safety.

When the stars you worshipped turn on you, when there's no one left in the universe that can save you except yourself- how will you deal with your grief in the face of certain death? The Taiyang drifts on the edge of the end, and you are there to witness its last days. This is your story.

General Information

What type of Roleplay this is: If you're expecting an action-based sci-fi adventure, this probably isn't for you. While the setting takes place in the far future and in space, onboard a futuristic spaceship, there will be little to no action involved. It's a few survivors floating on a hunk of almost-space junk with very little chance for survival. What I do intend for this roleplay to be is an exploration of the human condition. It's meant to feel realistic- the emotional part, at least- and it's probably going to hurt a lot. No doubt there'll be light-hearted moments, but in general it's got really heavy themes. It's meant to be introspective, so some level of emotional maturity is expected.

Structure: This is an open-ended roleplay. It's character driven and there's no set ending. What the outcome is entirely depends on character interaction and plot progression from to that interaction. It doesn't matter what the ending is. What I'm interested in seeing- and what this roleplay really comes down to- centres around how the characters get there.

Posting: I don't mind a slow-moving roleplay, and I understand that everyone has to deal with real life commitments and problems. However, I do expect you to post at least once in a while, with a minimum of 300 words per post.

Posting IC will be on a by-day basis. You're basically documenting the last 50 or so days of your characters' life, assuming that they don't survive or get rescued before that time is up. You'll be recording what they do on a day to day basis. How fast this progression goes depends on the pace of writing as a whole, and will be coordinated by me.

Commitment: Like I said, I don't mind if this thing moves at a snail's pace, as long as it remains active and I know people are still interested. If you intend to drop the roleplay, please inform me beforehand.

Character Sheet

Name:
Appearance:
Rank / Department / Position

(Captain / Commander / Lieutenant Commander / Lieutenant / Ensign / Cadet)
(Command / Medical / Operations & Security / Engineering)
(Individual slots*)

History:
Personality:

*please confirm with me in advance. I don't want there to be any clashes in applications.

Some useful resources: the Star Trek wiki. Much of the jargon used here is entirely based on Trek canon, so it's recommended that you have a general knowledge of the basics.

Last edited:
Back