[Interest Check][Sci-fi, tabletop] Easy Money - Power Armored Mercenary RP

Keen

Lethal At Three-Thousand Paces
Every mercenary has a story. Most recount their days in a militant organization of sorts; New League Militia, Martian Rangers, Free Merchant Marines. Others saw it as an easy escape from poverty, or held romantic notions of glory and adventure and sought it for themselves. Many wish they never started the life, few are willing to leave it behind. What proper self-serving man would? The Sol system has been embroiled in conflict for the better part of a century and contracts are easy to come by. Even the lowest gunlugger can find find work doing the dirty work the factions won't -or can't- do for themselves. It's easy money for those who can stomach it.

Some manage to stand out, even among a group so saturated with men and women of all backgrounds: Suit Pilots, often called 'suiters' by their jealous contemporaries. The power armor these mercs don is some of the most advanced war-tech in the system, hosting enough firepower to put a battle tank to shame and capable of taking just as much punishment. All in a roughly human sized package. Unsurprisingly, the services of a suiter are in high demand and even the greenest of pilots will find themselves figuratively buried under waves of job offers.

You have recently obtained a suit of your own, maybe you managed to somehow scrounge together enough freecred to purchase it for yourself or, more likely, you inherited it from friend or relative. The power is now in your hands to make some serious cash, maybe you'll even help shape the future of Sol system and all of humanity with it. Or maybe you'll end up in a shallow grave on some backroad martian settlement. Who knows, your story is yours to make.

---

Easy Money utilizes the Armored Descent system, with some minor changes to adapt to the setting and PbP structure:
  • Combat will not take place on a grid. To help facilitate a more post-friendly game there will be a 'OOC' section at the bottom of every GM combat post with a bullet-point explanation of all NPC actions that round as well as any other notable information. It is expected for players to do the same in order to maintain a smooth, informed pace in combats.
    • Due to the sluggish nature of combat in PbP formats a rule may be implemented requiring players to make at least one post a day during combat. I'll wait to see the natural pacing of combat before attempting to enforce this rule. If it does become a rule I'll require a 'general tactics' section added to your CS, just so I can make decisions for your character in case of your absence.
    • Yes, I'm aware this makes the RP quite 'gamey', but it's a necessary to keep things running along smoothly while keeping to the ruleset.
  • All players start with 200 resources instead of the listed 250.
  • The Mermaid suit variant is banned, because this is not a water-heavy setting.The Sahuagin suit variant is allowed, but keep in mind its specialization will come up only rarely, if at all.
  • The Exposed suit add-on is banned, simply because the suits are required to survive the vacuum of space.
  • All Biology add-ons except fusion are banned. The technology exists for what those add-ons do, but none can be installed into a suit.
  • Teleport Beacon and Collapsible are banned because they break physics in ways the setting does not.
  • All suits come with the Communicator and Space Module for free.
Note that this is just the interest check thread, if people show interest in making characters before the official OOC is posted I'll rig up a CS template and edit to this post. Otherwise it will go up with the OOC. Similarly, if people want to know more about the setting just ask here or through PMs. Comprehensive setting information will otherwise come along with the OOC as well.

If after all that you're somehow interested, please post here or shoot me a PM informing me so. I'm aiming for six players maximum unless an unexpectedly high amount of interest is shown.

Last edited:
Back