Demon's Broken Promise Just Thinking

TMITM

Megalomaniacal Arbiter
True authors are people masochistic enough to shatter themselves, intentionally or unintentionally, into a thousand little pieces we like to call 'characters'. We are defined by our characters just as much as we created them. True Authors see the world differently, making them outcasts and excluded, seeing the world through the kaleidoscopic view that is our characters.

Reactions: N0X
As Authors, as humans, we like to think we are in control of our characters, these little pieces of ourselves that run around in our minds. We like to think we should have control.
We don't.
We shouldn't.
If your character is truly a piece of yourself, it should take on it's own being, of sorts.
It should surprise you.
Turn into something you never intended originally.
As creators and authors, we can control what situation the characters are in, what items they have, even what condition they are in, but if they are true characters, you won't be able to control them.
The trick is not to let them control you.

I don’t think what your saying is as deep as you think it is.
If you lose control of your characters, you lose control of the story as a whole. You lose the plot. If you are limiting yourself to just characters, you have lost sight of the greater world that you creating.
There are other entities and phenomena at play in fictional worlds. Explore them.
The force is just as important to the Star Wars saga as Luke Skywalker. Explore the world. Create the world.
If you want to be a true author, you need to move past your characters into the greater world.
Now, don’t get me wrong. Getting into the mindset of characters is great, and character development is great. You just need to enunciate it. Having a great character mean nothing if you don’t tell your readers anything about them.

...Sorry. You may be right. I have this thing called 'Maladaptive Daydreaming'. It basically means there's a corner of my brain that is always daydreaming, thinking, and the daydreams tend to be more complex than most, often with their own stories and plots and characters. I tend to think deeply and outside of the box on a lot of things, including this.
Like I said before, good characters are usually part of you. Luke Skywalker was George Lucas trying to prove himself to the world and the studio industry, and he did. In a big way.
I'm not saying environment isn't important, but a story with no characters and just a world would be boring, but a story with no world and just characters could be much more.
Anyway, all this to say, this is how my mind works, a way of... Objectifying my thoughts to characters. Shattered into little pieces.
Characters, at least mine, take on a mind of their own sometimes. You shouldn't be in control of your characters. You manipulate the character through environmental factors rather than puppeteering the characters themselves because then they become dead, what was once unique becoming stale and stagnant, an empty shell.
Is there really anything wrong with losing 'control' of your characters, and through them, part of the story? It may go in unexpected directions, directions you never intended, you walking this journey with your character, instead if through them.
Now that sounds like a wonderful adventure.

Last edited:
Maladaptive Daydreaming'. It basically means there's a corner of my brain that is always daydreaming, thinking, and the daydreams tend to be more complex than most, often with their own stories and plots and characters.

An Authors gift xD

Personally, I think your both right :emoji_sweat_smile: I see both sides to what your saying and to be honest, my brain is kinda hurting from this now XD

Back