Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Lumiena Square

as written by Krysis

"That is what the gris-gris is for." Babette smiled indulgently at Jimmy's question about keeping someone safe. "Magic of the variety here is, by the very nature of it, unspecific. I am not a sorceress of any sort myself, so I can not make anything for a specific person, which is what is required for what you are talking about. If you are concerned for your own safety tonight, from the antics of a bad driver I would assume, you have two options. Give the driver a gris-gris bag, so they'll be lucky enough not to wreck, or take the wheel yourself."

She rang up the items for Jimmy without delay, while she talked, offering to put them in a plain paper bag unless he wanted to wear them.

Glancing at Inarin, the pale woman in the red dress hesitated before telling him, "I only keep the novice books on the accessible shelves. Most of those books are overviews and some cantrips. Things you do in order to see if you have a gift for that particular type of magic. Most view such things as harmless." What the church viewed as acceptable seemed to change depending on the visitor though, so she was still wary.

as written by Faithy

“I see, that’ll do then.” Jimmy smiled kindly and figured that if Pierette had managed to get them here without killing the four of them… err… five of them, then maybe she could get them to the party too. He didn’t think the female would allow him to take the wheel of her car and it wouldn’t do any good since he really had no idea where they needed to go. Handing over the necessary cash, Jimmy counted up to see how much he had left and was glad to see that he still had quite a bit. He wasn’t sure if the party would have free alcohol of if he’d have to buy his own stuff, but either way, he had enough to get him all he would probably want.

“I’ll wear the items, thank you.” He slid the necklace over his head, tucking it beneath his shirt before sliding the oddly feeling gris-gris bag into his pocket after attaching it to his room key. Glancing back towards Inarin, he waited for him to be ready to go, knowing that Aaro and Celeste were probably waiting for the two of them.

as written by Script

Inarin nodded, "I ah, might come back another time. For books," he said, looking over to where Jimmy was waiting. "Thank you for the help."

Not wanting to dawdle any longer - he could easily have sat reading blurbs for another hour - he hurried over to the older boy and smiled, indicating his readiness to move out.

As the two stepped out into the cool air, he took a deep breath and heaved a sigh. He wondered if he could smuggle some books on magic into his dorm room without getting into trouble, or if he might have to start visiting his aunt more often.

For now, he put those concerns from his mind. There was a party to get to.

as written by Krysis

Babette had smiled at the boys as they left, giving them a cheery wave. The prospect of a good sale had her happy, but worried about what she dared to admit having. She'd just have to wait and see.

The boys were hardly three feet from her door when the lock snapped home and the lights of the White Rabbit turned off. If they looked back, they would have seen the pale glow of Babette's eyes as she watched them from between the slats of the blinds, like two tiny moons.

They might go to a party, but she would remain in the shop until the wee hours of the morning. After all, the lapinese lady had work to do, expanding her smuggling caches and organizing inventory. Then there were other buyers that were not as innocent as those young men, who might be dropping by in the hours best suited for sneaking about the city.

as written by Ronin

"It's gorgeous." Miranda pressed her hand against the window and looked longingly at the silver necklace mounted on the display wrack.

"It's a piece of metal," Eric rolled his eyes, arms folded over his chest. He leaned against the nearby wall, lazy eyes drifting between passerbys. It was nearly eighth hour. They only had fifteen more minutes to get back to the Monastery before curfew, but Miranda had insisted on stopping in Lumenia so she could look at the wares. Typical girl.

"It's a pretty piece of metal, Eric," Miranda quipped, shaking her head, "an artisan spent weeks, maybe months crafting this ... molding every divot, every line ..."

"It's certainly expensive..." Isabelle's quiet voice filtered in from behind. She brushed her long black hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear, holding a stack of books close to her chest. "I don't know anyone in the Monastery that could afford that."

"You couldn't keep it even if you could afford it," Eric yawned, throwing himself off the wall and stretching. His uniform ran tight over his muscled frame. "No way the clerics would let you keep something that gaudy."

"I don't want to buy it," Miranda sighed, "I just want ... to look at it, y'know? I want to admire it." She smiled, emerald eyes tracing the sleek curves of the winding silver ropes. "I've been learning a lot about tinkering and crafting from Romstone in blacksmithing. It's really interesting. So much work goes into every little detail."

"Interesting, but useless," Eric retorted, running a hand through his sandy blonde locks, "a trinket's not going to protect you in battle. I'd take a gun or a sword over a necklace any day." He snorted, moving alongside Miranda and looking at the necklace with distaste. "Look at it. I could break it between my fingers. It's useless. Weak."

"Things don't have to be useful or strong to be valuable," Miranda objected, still looking at the necklace, "sometimes things are just ... beautiful. They're worth having, worth protecting on that merit alone."

Her companion sighed. "You've got your head in the clouds, Miranda. This is why you're failing swordplay. No mind for tactics."

"I'm failing swordplay because you're my sparring partner, Eric."

"And what is that supposed to mean-"

"Uh, guys?" Isabelle cut in, looking up from the pages of one of the books she'd bought that day - a text on Lutetian history, "we really should be getting back. It's almost curfew."

as written by Emperor Jester

A man, giant in scale, nearly seven feet tall moved down the street towards him. When he'd step directly under the lamp posts, his skin, as well as his attire, would shine like snow catching the sun. Everything on him was head-to-toe alabaster, from his white stingray leather shoes to his satin-silk button up long sleeve. Missing was his iconic trench coat, sixty pounds of ivory died elephant leather, always immaculately clean, free of stains. His long, razor straight, raven hair, trailing behind him like an extended shadow, a hair stylists dream, his eyes a shining, cruel shade of blue, seeming to glow in the early night.

There was a smile on his lips that threatened to overtake his entire face. New power swelled through him, the newly acquired power of becoming the Caer Prime. It was time to stop sending subtle messages. It was time they stopped thinking his work was that of some bastard born mongrel, some gangrenous mutt from some whore bitch. No. He'd make them all remember the family that kept this city locked up in fear for nearly twenty years. He'd show them the Caereleum were not gone.

All of this washed over and off his face in the frame of time it'd take some one to blink. As he approached the three, he couldn't help stand beside them, almost overcome by giddy excitement, somehow remaining a mask of mild curiosity. "Phew...Thats an awfully beautiful piece of jewelry..." He'd mumble, as if to himself, if a bit...loud. Obviously trying to strike up a conversation. Even next to the most physically intimidating of the group, Nox was massive, in both traditional high and how broad his shoulders were. How his shirt seemed to strain against his sculpted frame. "You all thinking of buying it?"

as written by Ronin

The man's shadow fell over the trio long before he spoke. Already their eyes fixed on the giant, the proselytes compelled by their training as they scanned his hips, the spaces between his arms, looking for indents or creases in his clothing that would suggest the presence of weaponry. Seven foot tall, pale skin, remarkably well-dressed for a middle-class marketplace ... it was hard not to be initially suspicious of such a man. Still, he seemed friendly enough. Besides, they were outdoors and in public. Nothing bad was going to happen.

"No sir, I don't think we're going to buy anything," Miranda smiled.

Eric stepped around her. He tugged at his uniform. "We're proselytes. Not exactly allowed to own stuff like that."

"But it is nice to look at," Miranda replied, shooting Eric a glare. "There's no rule against that." She looked back at the man, offering him a warm, friendly smile. "Selene's blessing be upon you, sir. We're just admiring some of the market's wares before we head back to the Monastery." She pressed two fingers to her lips - a traditional Evequec display of respect. Behind them, Isabelle (by far the smallest of the group) looked up at the stranger as if he were a towering building.

The small one held something very curious in her arms. A book of Lutetian history. Oh the delicious jokes fate liked to play on those who crossed his path. "And to you as well, all of you. You know, kids like you do a great service to the city." Despite his size, Nox looked to be in the prime of his life. So young and full of vigor that he appeared that guessing his age any higher than thirty would have to be due to some mental deficiency.

His eyes would wonder back to the necklace, whistling between his teeth. "Thats a shame though. Everyone deserves to be dressed for success. Especially such pretty young girls." This wasn't an awkward boy from the Monastery flirting with them. This was a charming, well spoken, obviously successful and incredibly gorgeous man. "If you'd like, I'll buy it for you. In return for your name, and the promise that you'll wear it."

Unknown to them, the Caer was pouring fel power into every word. Compelling magic, dripping with honey, as if his words themselves acted as half anesthetic and half aphrodisiac. To the boy however, the male of the group, Nox targeted him with an aura of icy cold and pure malice. As if letting him know, giving him clues, giving him a chance to run, as if his mere presence was trying to trigger some kind of fight or flight instinct, where the boy's subconscious would be screaming at him to run, get away, far away...

as written by Ronin

"If you'd like, I'll buy it for you. In return for your name, and the promise that you'll wear it."

Miranda felt her heart leap in her ribcage, an unfamiliar mixture of desire and lust welling up in her chest. Unbeknownst to her, Nox's hypnotic magic was lowering her inhibitions, pushing past the barriers of her mind and implanting implicit trust and longing for the man. To Miranda, however, a proselyte with little training against mental influence, she felt as if she were falling in love. Isabelle felt the same effects, and the girl averted her gaze from Nox's hypothermic irises, blushing a deep crimson.

Still, these were no dainty city teenage girls. They were proselytes. Though lacking the strict mental discipline of a fully-minted paladin, they were not weak in will.

"Sir you are..." Miranda's eyelids drooped, and she resisted the temptation to step closer to him. Clearing her throat, she gathered her thoughts and focused on speaking clearly. "You are too kind sir. I couldn't possibly accept, though. I..." She met his eyes. "...I barely know you..." She said the words almost to herself. Isabelle looked over at her companion, her glare scathing. Had she just refused? From a man like that?

Eric, meanwhile, was fidgeting where he stood. A light sweat had broken out where his hair met his forehead. His eyes flitted between Nox and the roadway leading back to the Monastery. "Miranda, Isabelle. We have to go." His jaw grit, his heart beating faster in his chest. He avoided looking at Nox directly, fighting with all his will to resist the urge to sprint in the opposite direction. The girls were still here. He couldn't leave his sisters behind. "It's late. We need to leave. Now."

"Now whats the rush? I thought we were all coming friends here. And don't worry, its okay if she says no. I'll just buy it for you instead." A soft, waxing smile as he brushed past them, walking into the store and quickly re-emerging, catching up to the trio if they'd begun to walk off. With a single graceful motion, the giant would place the necklace around Isabelle's neck. Tracing a fingernail down her soft skin. Crouching down so that it felt like he was breathing on her, his mouth hovering centimeters from her jugular. Being this close to him, he felt so cold, and yet so warm and inviting.

"Soooo...tell me. Which period of history is that book on? Past decade? Fifty years ago? I'm rather curious, girl..." Nox would say all this, never moving away from Isabelle's backside, giving his speech another layer of the sin inducing curse, though his eyes never left Eric.

He wanted him to know he was watching him.

as written by Ronin

The moment Nox went into the store, Eric stepped in front of the girls.

"We need to leave. Now." His face was pale, his fingers clenched into the fists.

"Oh, what's the trouble Eric?" Miranda rolled her eyes, "he's just being a gentleman!"

"He's buying you jewelry, at this moment," Eric snarled, "he's never even met you!"

"He's just flirting with me," Miranda smiled, a redness touching her cheeks as she said the words, "this sort of stuff happens all the time to normal girls."

"I thought he was buying it for me," Isabelle's quiet voice had a certain strength to it. She looked at Miranda with unkempt jealousy. As per usual, Miranda seemed to think everything was about her. For once in her life, Isabelle hoped that Miranda would be put in her place.

Eric growled. "Guys. Something's off about him. I don't know what it is, but I want all of us to get out of here. Right now."

Just as he finished, however, Nox emerged once again. They held their breath as the giant knelt before Isabelle and fastened the necklace around her. The girl nearly fainted, breathing deep of Nox's intoxicating scent and holding her books so close to her chest that they threatened to bruise her sternum. He'd chosen her. Nothing in the world - not even finding an original translation of Rakitin's Theophany, had ever made Isabelle so happy.

Miranda was noticeably less jealous than Isabelle had been, but there was still some obvious annoyance in the way she put her hand on her hip and looked away. Eric, meanwhile, was back stepping. Nox's return had intensified all his feelings of dread and panic. He wanted to turn and run as fast he could, compelled to stay only by a fleeting sense of duty and his concern for the girls. He looked into Nox's eyes only once, hate and fear flashing through his brain in equal measure. He wanted to kill him - but more than that, he wanted to get away from him.

Isabelle's breath caught in her throat as she tried to answer. Her hand came up to his own as it brushed her neckline, trying to keep it there. "It's... Valentine era through Renaissance ..." Her eyelids fluttered and she wobbled on her feet, as if intoxicated. "Barrows War ... the House Caire Skirmishes ... the democratic revolution ..." She had just enough sense to look at Miranda and see if she was watching, a wicked glee thrumming through her body. Miranda had always been the pretty, outgoing one. This was the first time any boy had favored Isabelle over her ... and she intended to enjoy it.

There would be a momentary flash of pure resentment in his eyes, almost too quick to catch before more words spilled out from his corrupt mouth. "Oh, my pretty bird, its pronounced Caer." He made the C much harder, blending the a and e together flawlessly, in the tongue of old Lutetian scripture. "House Caeruleum, right? Meaning Ice Devils." The man would then stand back up, placing a hand on Isabelle's cheek, caressing down her neck before turning back towards the group as a whole.

"Have you all studied them much? I'm a bit of a history buff myself, but the real details of the battles and all that aren't really open to public record, even all these years later. I've heard rumors though, legends. People say they were a house of vampires but...I mean, thats just a superstition right?

Unbeknownst to the females, a glamour was slowly peeling from his form. His perfect white teeth seemed to turn into bloodstained daggers when he spoke, his pupils retracting into paper thin slits every other time he'd blink, the pool of water near their feet starting to freeze. Little things. So small, so subtle.

as written by Ronin and Emperor Jester

"Caer..." Isabelle repeated the word lovingly. Coming from Nox's mouth, it sounded so beautiful ... so elegant. She gasped as his hand trailed from her cheek down to her neck, shivering all over with nervous excitement.

"I've heard rumors though, legends. People say they were a house of vampires but...I mean, thats just a superstition right?"

"They were ... real ..." Miranda blinked, struggling against the arcane drugs swimming through her system, "...House Caer was a great vampire house. Up to that time, the vampires kept their existence secret ... but Caer ..."

"They went crazy," Eric spat, "slaughtering. Killing indiscriminately." He blinked, thinking for a brief instant that Nox's teeth had appeared sharpened and filed, dripping with blood. It had to be a trick of the light...

Miranda nodded. "It was the last major open conflict the Monastic Order ever faced. We haven't been at open war with anyone since." Her brows furrowed, a question swimming through the slush of her thoughts. How was it that this man knew how the exact pronunciation and etymology of the word 'Caeruleum', yet asked questions about the specifics of the house's history? Hell, why was he harping on it at all? Something wasn't adding up.

Isabelle, however, didn't notice a thing. Even being the closest to Nox - and thus, the most apt to notice the brief lapses in his facade - did nothing to deter her attraction to the man. He had completely pushed passed her meager mental defenses. All she wanted was to be his. To be loved by him. To be touched again.

____

This was a rare treat. Three little doves all tweeting away, all affected by his charms differently. One struggling so hard to be brave, one uncomfortable and confused, and the other swimming in their long repressed lust. And they were smart. And young. They had their whole lives ahead of them, to become proud, powerful members of the church. A snicker escaped his lips while Nox placed his left hand on the smaller girl's shoulder, pulling her to his side, keeping her intimately close.

Maybe he should let the veil slip for the other girl as well as the boy. It was as simple as thinking it. As if the pheromones were ripped from Miranda's perception, replaced by a dark, black wave of ice and fear, much like how Eric was feeling. She too would begin to notice his changing. His jaw slowly unhinging. His perfectly manicured fingernails puncturing Isabelle's shoulder to the bone, and even through that, like a burning knife cutting through half-melted butter. Even through this, he'd only drug the poor girl more, sending his energy straight into her.

The others would notice her skin beginning to turn black with frostbite. The red stain spreading across her proselyte robes only getting so far before becoming a thin sheet of frozen sanguine, trailing down the girl's side. Why did everyone else in the street seem blind to this as well? How powerful was this man? What did he intend to do with them? "Oh, thats right. I never got your names." Still smooth talking, still unfathomably calm, chillingly so. "I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours."

____

The veil dropped slowly for Miranda - going from infatuated lust to repulsion was not an easy transition, and it took some time before the girl realized exactly what was happening. The impossibly charming, handsome gentleman had dissolved into a monster, piked teeth jutting out of his maw, eyes ripe with gleeful bloodlust. She watched in horror as his fingers dug into Isabelle, the girl moaning as his digits parted her flesh and embedded deep into her collarbone. The drugs swimming in her blood rendered her almost unintelligent to what was being done to her; she registered little more than Nox's presence.

Miranda looked to Eric. He was frozen in place. Hate had battled fear, and fear had won out. The proselyte watched dumbfounded, face bloodless as the monster ripped into a girl he'd known almost her whole life. She turned back to Nox, mind racing against the drugs leaving her body, struggling to make sense of everything that was happening. The beauty. The pale skin. The blood-stained teeth. His fixation with House Caer. His constant demands to know their names.

It clicked in an instant.

"Nosferatu..." The name left her lips on a shallow, shuddering breath.

____

His eyes would slowly meet Miranda's, a dark spark exploding violently outward. "We have a winner. Lets see what you've won, little dove." His fingers would drive into Isabelle, breaking her shoulder with a suddenly, violent -snap-, almost wet and organic in nature. At the same time, Nox would not only end his control over the gear, more abruptly than he had with Miranda, but also boot the young proselyte squarely in the spine with his fine, leather shoes, sending her sprawling forward.

The Caer had kept something though. Isabelle's entire arm and part of her shoulder joint as well remained firmly in his clutches. The sound of wet, living flesh being ripped apart like it was tissue paper would haunt their dreams, if any of them lived. And he did it all with a soft, almost condescending laughter, even as he began to ravenously feast down on the flesh, fully consuming it in its entirety quickly before the maimed girl hit the pavement, no longer covered in white. No, he was a red demon now, dripping sinew and sanguine, all except for the eyes. The baleful, powerful, cyan eyes.

Now he dropped the curtain for tall the random passerbys. Now he let them see what was happening to these three young adults, barely more than children. Thats when the screaming started.

____

The arm ripped from Isabelle's torso with a wet crunch, her body hitting the cobblestone just as Nox removed his presence from her mind. The young proselyte awakened from a dream of love and lust into a nightmare of pain and fear incomprehensible. She had a minute at best before she bled out into the street. That minute would be spent weeping into the stone, pleading with Selene in her mind for salvation even as the cold numb of death took hold of her with every frantic heartbeat. Eric watched, still as stone. He could not have moved even if he wanted to. Around him, people ran for their lives - scrambling over one another to get away from the monster. No one acted against Nox. No one raised their hand against him.

Miranda did.

Pushing past her fear, the proselyte hoisted a chair from a nearby table, charging the beast and swinging the wire furniture at his head like a club. Her jaw tightened, her teeth clenched tight enough to shatter. Her brows were furrowed above her emerald eyes which glowed with terror and anger and indignation. They were the eyes of a paladin.

____

He'd catch her arm, bending it backwards with ease, turning her around with her own momentum to face Eric. "Brave girl." His voice was no longer honeyed or suave. No, this was the voice of a predator, some kind of living nightmare, mocking all of her beliefs by simply existing. "If I'd given you another twenty years, you might be able to actually hurt me. Its a shame that'll never happen." Before the young man, even as the girl inevitably struggled, his jaw seemed to slack all the way down to his stomach, impossibly wide, before taking her head clean off of her shoulders with a sound much like a frozen watermelon being shattered. Swift, brutal, and blood.

The pavement would be a mosaic of blood, bone, and scraps by now. And despite the panic, almost no time had passed at all. Less than twenty seconds, even as Nox tossed the body through a nearby building, disgusted with the taste of righteousness all these doves seemed to carry in their blood. If it wasn't for the fact he was almost guaranteed the red life wine of virgins, Nox wouldn't even bother with these frail little children.

"Tell me boy. If you live, what will you do with my gift? Will you swear revenge? Will you promise to destroy me? Will you weep run and hide? Tell me child!" Nox closed the distance impossibly fast. Is this what a vampire, a real vampire lord could do? This is what they were expected to fight, to kill? His breath reeked of blood and seemed to almost exude a black mist, though that wasn't really him breathing. His lungs were long dormant. Only death inhabited Nox, death that wished to spread to everything else like a plague. "Answer wisely."

____

Miranda died before she even knew that Nox had retaliated, her head simply slipping off her shoulders and thunking to the pavement where it bounced twice. Eric watched as Nox threw her body into one of the nearby windows, recoiling as the monster rushed upon him. The mist of his breath choked him and tears welled in his eyes. Years of training and martial instinct abandoned him as the fear of death and the grief of lost family reamed into his soul and crushed his dormant fighting spirit. In that moment, he was a boy - a child left to stand against an abomination beyond human reckoning. He could not even meet his eye.

"I.. I..." he sobbed openly, tears streaming down his cheeks. He tried to back step - only to slip on a puddle of blood leftover from Isabelle's body. He fell to the ground, soaking in it, before throwing his hands into his arms and cowering.

He would do nothing. Nothing at all.

____

"Good. You recognize the natural order of things." Roughly, he'd lift the boy, keeping him eye level with him, forcing him to stare into his eyes, sinking his fingers deep into the muscle of his cheeks, almost puncturing into Eric's mouth entirely. "The weak should fear the strong. Those below should except the iron heeled boot steps of those above. There is no mercy, no peace, no light in this world. You'd do well to remember that. Because right now, when you needed it most, your gods abandon you to me."

He'd have to be quick. Nox was arrogant and he knew how powerful he was, but he wasn't stupid. Once word got out what he had done, who he was, the Church would move, fast. They'd be here before too long. Without letting the one living proselyte down, he'd bend, scooping up a handful of Isabelle's blood from below them, wrenching Eric's jaw open, breaking it if he resisted.

Pouring the blood down his throat, holding his mouth closed like one might do to a dog if they were trying to get it to take its medicine. He'd do this several times, at least a pint of sanguine being forced into Eric's stomach. Then, Nox would drop him, as well as a dagger made of the purest white gold at his feet. The pommel was set in sky blue sapphires and the blade had a single streak of obsidian running through it. Purely ceremonial, but that was the point. It was one of his brother Titus's knives. He'd found it in a Caer safe house.

The last thing he'd do before running into the night, is implant a simple command into Eric's mind, using his dark powers to only put the idea there. No force behind it but the overwhelming, natural fear he'd left in his wake. An image of the Caer house sigil and the words "Carve..."

____

Eric yelped as he was lifted, doing his best to avoid Nox's glare. It was unavoidable - his cyan blues piercing through his eyeballs into his very soul. The proselyte looked deep into this eyes ... deep into the epitome of hatred and horror itself.

The first batch of blood he choked on. The second he tried to spit out, but the pressure on his jaw was too great. After a pleading yelp, he relented - accepting the next half dozen handfuls of blood with petrified obedience.

He fell to the floor. He gagged. His eyes shifted to the knife as it clattered to the floor. He heard the whispers in head, eyelids shutting tight - a weeping, broken boy with no defense against the malicious commands of the ancient abomination. Without even thinking he reached for the knife.

---

The square was abandoned when the police arrived - the shops closed, the patrons fled. They would find rivers of blood seeped into the cobblestone pathways like aqueducts of wine. They would find a severed arm and the body of a young girl, her last remaining hand thrust into the midst of an old leathery book. They would find a girl's head, brows still drawn with terrified will, and the body impaled on a coat rack at a nearby tailors.

Last of all they would find a boy, naked, bloodsoaked, rocking back and forth on the pavement ... the symbol of House Caer etched with calligraphic grace in the center of his chest.

as written by Ronin

When Savien and Celeste arrived on the scene, every cop looked up from their work. The sight of paladins mounted on their destriers became increasingly rare the farther one got from Lemeux or Luskionos. Lumenia was by no means a 'poor' area, but it was a far cry from the egalitarian pomp of the church-controlled districts. More of a 'Merveilleux' place than anything, what with all the magic shops and cult vendors. A church knight would ordinarily never interfere with an investigation so removed from their chosen suburbs ... unless, of course the case either threatened the church itself or the sanctity of the entire city.

This particular case threatened both.

Savien would nod for Celeste to park alongside his destrier, just outside the crime scene. The mammoth engines grumbled into stillness. Savien dismounted. He took a small black case from one of the hatches on his cycler and began walking towards the police line.

"Eyes up, rookie," he gruffed as Celeste followed. "Identify the ranking investigator."

as written by Krysis

There was a trick to getting on and off of a motorcycle of any variety while wearing a sword. The destiers were just bigger and had more protuberances to catch on, which made it a bit more difficult for the shorter rider. She actually paused for a moment, deep in thought as she considered the problem and how to avoid it in the future before Savien walked away from the bikes and she followed.

Celeste actually had to jog a few steps to catch up with the tall male because of it, and tilted her head in consideration at the problem he laid before her. No one appeared to be just watching other than the cops playing guard at the edges of the scene. None of the cops were in civilian clothes either that she could see. That meant that it had to be someone in uniform and actually doing work, which meant the detectives already knew the case was going to be yanked by the church. Ominous, since that only happened when things were particularly obviously of a supernatural bent, or had something to do with the church directly.

She waved the nearest uniform closer, the one that was guarding the line, making him come to them instead of the other way around. Then Celeste just asked, "Who is in charge here?"

When the rookie cop kinda looked at Savien uncertainly, the girl gave him an encouraging smile, "Yes, probably in a few minutes, but right now, who is running this show?"

She had to admit, at least to herself, that she would never have picked this guy out as the ranking officer without being able to get close enough to see the details of his badge. So Celeste looked up at the paladin beside her with an expectant lift of her eyebrows, as if to see if he had another comment to make about how she did things.

The person in question would only blink for a moment before turning back to face some of his compatriots. "Hey uh, Jaron? Some one is asking to see whoever is in charge. Would that be Yates?" An affirmative nod from the fellow office. Turning back to Celeste, he'd then indicate towards the store with the blood, broken window surrounded by police tape, to a crouched, middle aged man with maroonish red hair.

"That'd be him, Miss. I think he's checking out one of the victims."

as written by Ronin

Savien's expression remained etched in stone, but he gave an approving nod as Celeste inquired one of the officers. Simply scanning and guessing at who was leading the investigation was silly. These were law enforcement officers - they were on the same side.

"That'd be him, Miss. I think he's checking out one of the victims."

"Let's go introduce ourselves," Savien said. He lifted the police line above his head and passed under it, Celeste doubtless in tow.

They walked across the plaza, Savien leading them around the middle where lay the mangled body of a girl, dried blood staining the cracks in the stone like aqueducts of crusty red. She was dressed in the uniform of a proselyte, her hand was thrust into the pages of a book. Not far off, a human head rested on the ground by its ear. The wreckage of a wire chair lay between them. Officers circled the scene, snapping pictures and talking among themselves.

They stopped before the wrecked window of the shop.

"Officer Yates," Savien's voice was hard as rock, rough and articulate. He waited until the cop turned to face them before speaking next. "I'm Sir Durandet. This is proselyte-deputy Hogan." He nodded at the red-haired man, expression mostly indiscernible beneath his visor. Only his lips and jaw were visible. "Are you in charge of this investigation?"

as written by Krysis

Celeste gasped at seeing the uniform of a fellow proselyte and her words earlier came back to haunt her, mocking inside her head. "Can't be too careful now. It seems like people are out to get us proselytes." If she had warned them, maybe they would still be alive. But warn them how? Not to accept invitations from strange, hot boys? Not only would they not have believed her, but she doubted it would have done any good. These two looked like they had been slain where they stood, without time to get out even the most basic of defensive weapons.

At least neither of them were Rei, her friend and rival, but there were not so many proselytes that Celeste didn't recognize these two. She'd helped one of the girls once or twice with various things, and even sparred once with the other one. Beyond the gasp of surprise, the living proselyte did not betray her reaction, pulling on a stoic expression as easily as a mask as she stared at the details. Torn flesh, scattered blood, and the raw destruction would tell her the whole story if she could just focus on the details without being swallowed by rage. Rage toward her 'partner', not for the killer just yet.

Surprising her like that, with people she knew scattered on the ground like the leavings of a rabid dog, was cruel of Savien. He could have warned her, since he obviously had known what they would find, instead of making this some kind of test. She clenched her hands so hard that, if she had not cut her nails down to almost nothing, she would have cut herself. She was near enough to listen to Savien and Yates, but she squatted down near what looked like a spray of blood at first, but it didn't look quite right. The spacing was not uniform enough, and the droplets were too round instead of having directional marks, while being too small to have been done deliberately.

The older man would slowly stand up as if it strained him to do so, his voice gruff and raw with either emotion or lack there of. You could tell just by the way he spoke he'd been doing this a long time, and perhaps, too long. "I suppose you could say that, but I'd really like to know who wants to kn-"

The beat cop would then interrupt himself as he finished turning around to face the two new arrivals. "Oh." And it was then that the words and titles actually stuck inside his head. "Oh! Forgive my tone. I wasn't expecting the church to respond this quickly...Yes, sir, I am technically in charge at the moment. Is there anything I can do to assist you?" It was clear right away that Yates was no stranger to the Church or its officials. He'd been on the force a long time, been forced to interact with them time and time again. He knew when to bow and move aside.

"For the record, this is pretty bad. Three victims, in relative broad daylight, in the middle of the Square? No one says they got a good look at the perp. Surveillance footage is all a mess. The one victim who did make it out of all of this alive though..." The look on the officer's face would sour, with both disgust and pity as he looked over his shoulder towards a nearby ambulance.

as written by Ronin

"I understand," Savien nodded, "we're here to work alongside your investigation. My partner and I will have a look around. We'll consult you and your team if we have any questions."

He turned his head slightly and looked at Celeste where she knelt on the floor. His eyes followed the droplets of red on the pavement before he looked back up to Yates.

"No one got a good look at the perp?" he repeated the words, "did they give you anything to go off of? Height? Build?"

Back