Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Saint Lemeux

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Sentry and Brokowsi

Jeanne had lead Felix to the medical examiner's office at some ungodly hour after calling an acquaintance. The gates and the back door were open, giving them ease of access.

Right behind the first door, a pretty young woman with blonde hair greeted them, ushering them quickly down one of the halls. "Jeanne, you know I hate breaking the rules as much as I love the- who is this?" she asked, pointing to Felix. "I'm Ninette. Hi," she smiled, holding out a hand.

____

"Felix Corbin." The necromancer put on his most charming smile as he shook the pretty blonde waif's hand. "I'm, a, what's the word? Contractor?"

There was an air of confidence about him, clearly his partner in non crime was respected enough to pull some of the tightest strings in Lutetia. He'd have to make a mental note to ask her why she was so revered after this was all over.

"The force just wants a second or third opinion on this, dear." Snake oil salesman as he was, Felix withdrew his hand after a bit. For all of his frailty he could read people as well as he read their corpses. The examiner was going to allow them to pass regardless of his attempts at charm, Jeanne clearly had that kind of pull. Regardless, it couldn't hurt to make a good impression, Merveilleux was lacking in the bachelorette department. Too many old school witch doctor types living off dowries.

____

"Right. Yeah. Jeanne told me, it's just... y'know, interns can't really be here after closing... um..." She fidgeted, but managed to shake Felix's hand firmly while throwing him a sweet smile. "It's this room over here... we got all the results from the bodies and everything if you need those. We removed all the salt-"

She reached for a door ahead of them and fiddled with a pair of keys. She glanced upward at the little window.

And then, she screamed.

She collapsed with her back to the door and her hands over her head. Jeanne drew her gun. "What's wrong?"

Ninette pointed to the window, and out of it, a face looked back at them. Bonner's face.

____

This wasn't the Den or some other seedy dog infested joint. The attendant's shock was alarming for a moment but Felix managed to cut a steely figure. This was the domain of the dead, one of the few factions in Lutetia that didn't require a quick trigger finger or some absurd mutation to survive.

"Looks like someone got here before me." The necromancer sighed, almost too at ease as he shouldered Ninette from the sight of Bonner's risen remains. There was a hesitation before Felix opened the door. It wasn't born of fear of death, but fear of further poverty. If he fucked this up he was sure that the Church and their kin would hunt him like they did the more open acolytes.

"....Nikto." He finished a short chant, just enough to immobilize the recently risen dead. Once the immediate threat was vegatative, he nudged the door open further.

"You or me first, officer? I might have to charge extra for any flesh wounds."

____

Jeanne switched the safety off on her pistol and motioned Felix aside. "Well, I can't have my contractor getting injured, hm?"

She opened the door and slipped inside, pointing the barrel right at the dead man's temple. With her other hand, carefully, she unbuckled handcuffs from her belt and slipped it into Bonner's wrist, then pulled it back the best she could- rigor mortis seemed to be fighting her with this- and managed to clip the other wrist.

"You're safe to come in. I have a leash on him," she said, keeping a firm grip on the chain. "Unless he manages to pop his arms off."

____

"Contractor? I could get used to working with la police. That's the nicest thing I've heard from lips other than my own since some old broad in Merveilleux said I reminded her of her son." Felix quipped as he fully crossed the archway, casting a casual glance towards the immobilized undead. "Of course, the charm of it weared off once she had me contact the junkie bastard from beyond the pale."

The necromancer strode towards the cuffed corpse, confidence creasing into a grin on his face. The corpse was still fresh enough to resemble the one from the photo. In fact, without the gore and other outside circumstances it would be easier to make out the marks carved into Bonner's skin.

"Just let me take a look, I don't think the gun'll be necessary.....nor the chain." Felix blithely remarked. Harm to himself wasn't much of a worry, he'd seen 'booby-trapped' corpses. Zombies and the like, petty necromancers liked to use them as a middle-man for muggings and grudges. Instead he feared that whoever committed the crime had made whatever information Bonner's body held inacessible.

____

Jeanne eyed the corpse warily, but she let go of the cuffs. "I'm not taking it off. Just in case. You never know- well, I suppose you do, but I've seen enough of these walking around that I wouldn't like taking chances." She lifted a hand to present the corpse. "I'll handle Bonner to you, then."

The standing cadaver snorted at them through his teeth. Ninette poked out from behind the door, just barely peeking in. "Um, we... do you need any details from the..." She stared at the corpse and frowned deeply. "I... the autopsy report... or..."

____

"Autopsy is filed, sealed, made confidential. Whatever you folks do." Felix continued to circle the snorting corpse. It wasn't quite a rhinoceras. Bonner was a large man, but not an intimidating one. Well, at least not physically, his connections tended to be miles more malificent.

"Sir, do you have any recollection of the day before your assailant assaulted you?" Some folks took death in stride, hell a lot of the mothers and fathers in his district embraced it. That being said, he doubted his current case study was of that sort. Not all dead accepted death and someone as vehemently opposed to necromancy would likely defend the idea post mortem.

"I understand that this morgue is a strange place to hold such questioning but a man of your importance deserves safety and this is one of the most fortified safe houses in town." Felix strode around, feigning dramatics with flicks of his wrist and changes in his tone of voice. "I mean, the last thing we want is the wolves and corpse fuckers finding out you're here. "

as written by Cordeleann

Corde was now officially on her own. She would have a birthday in a few weeks. June 18th. She stood in the center of the main room of her new apartment. Still in shock about her sudden separation from the Monastery and her beloved Father Abe. With a sigh she decided to do something and looked around her small desk for a colored pen. Choosing a green one, she marked her calendar for her birthday. After that, she returned the pen to its place. Once again she stood, motionless, staring around at all of ‘her’ things.
“Oh this is ridiculous.” With an exasperated huff she decided to head out and get a feel for the neighborhood. She had seen very little on the trip to the apartment and was curious about what life was like out here in the world. She headed out wearing a dark green sleeveless dress and sandals. People meandered about chatting or eating as they walked. She simply walked around watching and listening. The church, Father Abe, was counting on her to succeed. But she didn’t even know where to start.
The Light of Elueu will guide you …Selene will make sure we are victorious. Father Abe’s words ran through her mind, distracting her from her surroundings.

____

Though the performers tried to make it a point not to station themselves within Saint Lemeux, the violence elsewhere had driven them from the corners of Lupaix and the downtown areas where they normally were at home.

One such performer, swathed in purple frills, arms lined with golden bangles, sidled up next to Corde with a flourish of her skirts. Dark hair framed her sharp face, bangs over black eyes that sought out Corde's own. Sweet words of a different language danced around the two just as fluidly as the woman's steps. The performer smiled so sweetly at her younger counterpart.

"A penny for your thoughts, stranger?" the purple-clad woman asked.

"Huh?" Corde looked up in suprise at the woman. Stepping back a few steps as she collected herself. "Oh, I, no thanks I don't have any money." She smiled innocently at her. A light breeze playing at the edges of her long brown hair and her skirt. Corde was enthralled by her clothes, she had never seen anything so colorful before.

The dancer threw her head back in a wide-mouthed laugh, hair toppling over her shoulders in waves. She reached down to take Corde's hand and spun her in a circle. "You are a funny one!" she exclained joyfully. "Not from around here, I take it. Welcome to Lutetia City?"

A laugh escaped her as she spins. Then staggers a bit to regain her balance. "Yes, but I live here now, thank you." She looked around the street, before returning to match the woman's gaze. "It is so pretty here, and so many people!"

The performer gazed at the streets. "Clean and white and neat can be pretty, yes. You have not made it to the more colorful bits of town." She kept hold of the young lady's hand, stepping back and forth with her in tow to the rhythm of the guitarman on the sidewalk.

"It's my first day on the mainland." A giggle escaped her as she danced with the purple wonder. "I hope to soon, though..." her face clouded as her smile faded. "I've heard it's dangerous for the faithful." Her grip tightened on the woman's hands.

To this, the older woman drew her close. "The most beautiful things are riddled with danger. If you wish to experience life at its fullest, you must be brave!" She skipped back, gracefully pulling Corde along. "Like dancing with a stranger."

The swift movement took her breath away but brought back her smile. "But, you're not dangerous." Being dragged less and following her movements more herself.

The performer stepped in very close to Corde, then, a breath hissing through her teeth upon the younger woman's cheeks. "Oh? You believe that?"

The move doesn't scare Corde, it only confuses her. "Well yea. You're so nice. And, I've never danced before but it's so fun!" The girl is so sheltered she doesn't know enough to be wary of strangers or to even take the action as threatening. She deeply trusts and cares for everyone she percieves as human. She has no mischief in her heart and has a hard time seeing it in anyone else. Her innocence glows from her in a way that makes her trustworthy.

The woman's lips fell open in a small, amused gape. She danced silently with her partner for a few moments before asking, "What is your name?"

"Corde, what's yours?"

"Mirella."

"Mirella, my first friend." Now it's Corde's turn to pull Mirella close for a hug.

The dancer's eyes shot open in surprise, then softened as she returned the gesture. "What are you? An Evequec angel come to test me?" she mused. "You are too terribly sweet. We must meet again."

Corde stepped back, keeping Mirella's hands in her's."Father Abe always says that I radiate the Light of Elueu." Her bright smile spreading into a giggle. "I hope to see you again soon too. Um-" she bit her lip and glanced up and down the street. "Which way to Katherine Lessard's manor ?"

Mirella blinked. She paused, then she blinked again. Finally, the dancer held up a hand to point down the street. "Just... go down this road, take a left. You really can't miss it," she directed her. "What is it you are seeing her for?"

"Well, uh, Father told me to head there. I hope they can give me some direction. I'm kinda lost here on my own." Her smile has faded but her eyes are still bright and engaged. "I've never been away from Father before..."

"Oh, ah. Well, this city certainly will be an adventure for you. Not everyone here is as they seem. You've no real fear in this district, but trouble finds its way here, too."

Corde stands taller and her smile returns. "Some day, soon, there will be no more trouble, no more fear. You'll see." With a final wave she heads down the street.

Mirellla waved back, mystified. She turned to her guitarist and shook her head. "That girl is going to get herself killed here."

as written by Emperor Jester and Cordeleann

Isamov sat nestled into into the corner of a nearby alley. Not on the ground level however, no, the young man was in a crevice high up, stuck into the side of a building. All that could be seen of him, from those who looked upwards was a brilliant white, painted skull across a face mask, a red-orange circular visor giving off a bright glow. He was watching.

Lutetia had surprised him when he'd first arrived, many years back, fresh out of his military training in a far off land. There were things here that defied the order of God. Things that had to be cleansed. Laws made that difficult however. Now, lycanthropes were under protection of the government, declared citizens by those who wished to defy the natural order God had set forth. He had little doubt that one day a nosferatu would convince the politicians with threats and brides that they deserved the same treatment. Isamov cared little. His cleansing of all things unnatural would not be stopped. But he couldn't do it alone. He needed ties to the Church, as heathenish as it was, it was the closest thing to a holy order he could find, similar to his own so far away.

After checking and re-checking the clip on his long range rifle, he reduced the light given off by his HUD-visor, slinking back into the blackness before raising the scope to his eye-level. A girl with brunette hair. The Lord told him she was clean, pure, something in his instincts screamed this at him. Still...With a flick of his thumb, a pale blue light of a dot would travel across the pavement on the streets below, traveling across her clothes and form, settling on her forehead after crossing her eyes. That should get the young girl's attention.

____

Corde rubbed her eyes and kept walking. There it is again. she thought. Today had been busy and she was trying to think through everything. Her smile was infectious, spreading to everyone who saw her. A light bounce to her step made her look like she was floating down the street, the music of the guitarist still in her head.

"Hello Miss, buy a flower?" the vendor offered a small bunch of yellow flowers with a curtsy.
Corde stops and smells the flowers. "They are lovely, but I'm afraid that I don't have any money." She smiles apologetically.
"Oh well, here then." the woman pulls a single flower from the bunch and offers it. Corde takes it and slips it behind an ear before curtsying back.
"Thank you very much." She continued on her way humming the guitar song.

The flickering light returned and this time she couldn't ignore it. She stopped and looked around, it had to be coming from somewhere.

____

With a prayer, a bang would echo out of the alley, the flower seller's head exploding in a mist of blood and pulverized bone. Over his suit's Echo-Com system, the final line would be heard. "In nomine Patris et Filli et Spiritus Sancti." A clink of an ejected metal shell bouncing off the pavement, a reloading click before the blue dot placed itself on her forehead, keeping there even as he dropped from his perch.

A heavily accented voice, foreign. "You are blind, young girl. That girl was tainted, and you simply let her live. God does not take kindly to those who turn a blind eye to the wicked." He did not yet reveal himself to her, still in the alley, hidden in black and night and dark clothing. However, the red glow from his mask could now be seen, shining bright, some fifty yards from where she stood. "Or perhaps you didn't know the evil in that woman's heart and mind. Blind girl. Weak. Will not survive the coming Night."

____

Corde had screeched and crouched to the ground at the sound behind her. As it became clear that he was talking to her, she hugged herself and stood shaking slightly. She tried not to but couldn't help glancing at the woman's remains. Her hand flew to her face in a gasp, and she looked away quickly.
"I, I- I didn't see any evil in her." She looked at him and backed away. "The only evil act I've seen is...is yours." Fear is plain on her face but there is a hint of something else; righteous defiance, thirst for truth. Through it all still there is a clear sense of her naivety of the world.

____

A laugh, electronic from behind his mask, his deep exotic voice almost a boom, even from so far away. "I am not an evil for this girl to judge. God has set me on a path to cleanse this city. That woman was tainted by same vampire house, nosferatu . I've seen her in the Phantom Quarter, suspicious as rat in cheese house. She was tainted." Isamov reiterated.

"And before you ask, I do not need proof. God has shown me so such, in His light. One more blight has been removed from this city. His work be done." He lowered the rifle sight from her forehead. "You are clean. You are not on my list, his list. Your life is pure."

____

Corde stands dumbfounded. She had heard that she was full of the Light of Elueu, but to hear this frightening man call her pure was something else entirely. It eased her fear and brought out more of her curiosity and she walked toward him. She was intelligent enough to remain wary nonetheless.

In the meantime the street had cleared of people. Everyone had headed inside. A few thought to call the police while most watched the interaction from the safety of their large window front shops. The hint of a frown touched her brow as she removed the flower from her ear and stared at it. The expression looked strange on her, as she was prone to smiling.

"If she really was tainted as you say." She spoke softly staring at the flower still. "Then you did the right thing." She hesistated. "I'm still so new at all this." She held out the small flower to him and met his gaze for the first time. Her eyes huge and unsure. "Thank-you."

____

"Keep your flower." He'd back up, keeping a distance between them, far enough so that he could bring his rifle to bare if need be, but he genuinely did not think he'd have to do so. Isamov had stood down. "The gesture is kind and sincere, but it caries a harsh darkness inside of it. Do not be overly trusting. Do not be overly kind. Suspicion and doubt will keep you alive, young girl. There is a war brewing in these streets. The Beasts fighting amongst themselves in but in inkling of what is to come."

His HUD informed him of law enforcement in the area. He could hear the steps on the streets, closing in. Foolish heathens. If only they'd let him Cleanse in peace, do the Lords work as it was intended. Uninterrupted, quick, just.

"Soon I will have to go. Your order will seek to detain me. They know not that I come from God, on a path of Light and Righteous Smiting. We well may meet again, and if so, you may call this Blessed One by Isamov." If she kept her approach up, he would eventually bring his rifle upwards, aimed at her thigh.

____

"Oh." Was all Corde could think of to say. She lowered her hand and fiddled with the flower. She stood trying to think of what Father Abe would do. Gentleness in this harsh world can be a powerful weapon....Trust your heart, for through it Selene will speak She nodded to herself and took a deep breath.

"Okay Isamov." She chose to smile despite her lingering unease. "I too wish for the world to be safe. But I hope you find somebody to trust in this world." Her head tilted to the side and her smile became genuine.

____

Isamov remained silent for a moment. To find such an upbeat, genuinely kind person in this city, of all cities. It shocked him. This girl must be important to the Lord's plan. Behind his mask, he smiled back, though she could hardly see it. "I doubt that will happen. But your concern and hopes will travel with me."

The suit urged him to go, to continue his righteous quest. The Church could capture him if he stayed too much longer, and in truth, it was very possible that they still might. He'd tallied too long. "Until next time, young girl. Be safe. Beware of shadows where you'd least expect them. No where in this city is safe from the taint." And with that, the rogue hunter turned and fled back down the alley, quickly climbing back up to his perch and dashing across roof tops, to get away. He could hear shouts behind him at ground level as he dashed to hopeful escape.

as written by Ronin

Aaro scowled. "I have enough for a coffee. But if any of you want pastries, you're on your own." He straightened his cuffs. "And come on, Celeste. This is Saint Lemeux, not Vargeras. We'll be lucky if we see anyone not wearing a new pair of shoes."

---

It was dusk by the time they reached the cafe. Aaro had insisted on sitting outside, and they sat looking over an evening menu and chatting.

"...when did tea get so popular anyway," Aaro complained, perusing the cafe's long list of foreign brews. "Look at this - this one came all the way from Losenji." He shook his head. "I came here for a sugared, over-caffeinated beverage that will keep me up all night so I can study for my chemistry exam tomorrow ... not some 'dragon-oolong-ginseng-whatever' from some misty land across the sea."

Saint Lemeux was winding down after sixth hour. Well-dressed gentleman and ladies milled about the cobblestone streets, heading home after a long day of work or strolling around looking for some evening entertainment. Most of the street vendors had packed up for the night. The cafe itself was moderately busy. It was dinner time - most well-to-do Lemeux citizens were enjoying a five-star meal at one of the district's premier restaurants.

as written by Script

"I read about a tea from Losenji that would do that much better," Inarin interjected absently, sipping at his own drink. "Something about the way it's brewed and its ingredients causes the energy to be released much slower over time, stopping the normal crash associated with..."

He paused, blushing. "Sorry. I think I'm rambling again. Um... it's quite like Sirene, but less drastic and expensive. I don't think it tastes very nice."

It certainly sometimes seemed that Inarin's conversation skills took two forms: the first, the Inarin that most people were familiar with, spoke quietly and rarely, with as few words as possible. The second form was that of someone with far too much information in their head about an unlikely variety of topics, and a habit of getting lost on a tangent without much of a filter between their train of thought and their mouth.

Each had their pitfalls. He didn't seem to have mastered the middle ground of 'amiable smalltalk'. That said, over the time at the coffee shop the boy seemed to have loosened up at least a little. It wasn't saying much, considering he spent the first fifteen minutes acting like a deer caught in headlights, but it was something. At the very least, he seemed happy be there.

as written by Krysis

Celeste surprisingly knew what she wanted; Darjeeling tea with a cherry and a slice of lemon. She only consulted the menu to see if there was a plate of pastries she could order to keep the boys from asking her questions. If their mouths were full, she wouldn't have to explain herself about the very specific order. Then Inarin started talking about tea and she just stared at him. It terrified her how brilliant this kid was.

"Inarin, why do you want to be a paladin? I mean, you know so much already, and you don't seem to like the sword work, so why not be a cleric?" Celeste finally asked, then blushed and make an uncomfortable movement in her chair, "Sorry, that's rude of me to ask. I'm just flummoxed at how much you just know and don't have to look up."

as written by Faithy

Oddly enough, Jimmy didn’t order a tea or anything to drink except for a glass of water with strawberry and kiwi fruit mixed in with it. He tried to keep from drinking anything except water, his body not really agreeing with different mixtures. Sure, he did upon occasion, but he was already feeling a little off today, so he decided to keep it simple. Musing over the menu while the rest of them conversed, he glanced over at Inarin at his explanation of the tea and grinned, glad that he had invited him. It was taking a while, but the twenty-year-old could sense a slight change with the quieter proselyte and hopefully sooner than later, he would be conversing more comfortably with not just them, but the others. Hell, at this moment, Jimmy would just be happy to have him talk with them.

“Hmm…” His gaze drifted towards Celeste at her question before he returned his attention towards the genius of the group. He had often wondered the same thing, but never thought to simply ask. It appeared that she had a more tactful nature in her than he had imagined. Musing, he sat down the menu and leaned back in his chair, staring up at the sky while listening to the hustling and bustling going on around them.

as written by Ronin

"Yeah, why not a cleric, In?" Aaro asked as the waiter finally brought a steaming cup of Lutetian black with a saucer full of Iverian cream. "You're probably the smartest kid in the school right now. You could be the next Saint Jerome - invent some cool new potion or upgrade to the Monastic armory." He began liberally creaming his coffee.

as written by Script

Inarin practically wilted under suddenly being the focus of attention, stumbling over his words for just long enough to make it awkward. "I ... it's complicated," he finally offered, knowing full well how lame of an answer it was.

After another pause, this one less panicked and more considered, he went on. "It's just ... always what I've thought about when I've thought about the future." He fidgeted awkwardly as he spoke, gazing into the depths of his tea with a frown. "I know I'm not very good with the sword, and I'm ... p-probably just not cut out for being a paladin, but... I don't want to disappoint people. So I have to try."

The boy shook his head hastily, "A-anyway, has anyone been keeping up to date with what's happening with the garoux in the city? I keep hearing about more people dying on the news, and ... this is really not a very nice subject to change to, is it?"

Inarin groaned, running a hand through his hair frustratedly. Why was conversation so hard?

as written by Krysis

Celeste reached over to pat Inarin's hand awkwardly when he confessed his need to please others, her features softened with compassion. She was passing him one of the pastries on a small dish when he had to mention the news.

The saucer thumped on the table loudly as her expression turned bitter. It was almost enough to curdle the cream on the sweets as she growls in answer, "The damn dogs don't know how to behave. We should have wiped them out years ago, but those stupid laws tie our hands."

Two more saucers clank on the table, one in front of Jimmy, the other in front of Aaro as Celeste bit her lip rather than continuing to rant. Better to fume in silence, sucking on the cherry from her tea.

as written by Ronin

Aaro looked at Inarin from the brim of his tea cup, brows raising as the boy had another nervous onset. "Who's disappointing people?" He grinned. "You're a student at the most prestigious academy in Lutetia, studying to join an Order that exists just to help people and fight giant man-eating monsters." He rested his hands behind his head, leaning back on his chair. "Face it people, we're heroes just by being in this uniform."

Still, it was obvious that Inarin wanted to change the subject. As the topic switched to the recent rise in werewolf crime, Aaro piped in after Celeste.

"I dunno' if genocide is the best way to deal with the werewolf population," he rolled his eyes, shooting Celeste an amused grin, "whether we like it or not, they're Lutetian citizens - and when we take the silver, we have to protect them, same as everyone else." He lifted the saucer to his lips and sipped. "I just don't know what's gotten into them. You guys been hearing about all the murders in Vargeras? And that Casino that got shot up? It's some sort of huge pack war. I hear the Inquisition's gotten involved."

as written by Faithy

Although it seemed like Jimmy was no longer paying attention, that was definitely not the case. He was listening to the conversation, admiring just how much Inarin was actually talking with the others, though the change of subject probably wasn't the best thing to talk about. Dipping back his head down in order to drink his water, he peered over at Celeste at her words and the Aaro, his own head shaking a little. He wasn't like most of the others, because he didn't want to kill the werewolves. No, he was incredibly interested in them and if he could actually sneak away from everyone, he would go searching for one and see what came of that interaction. Exhaling deeply, he picked up a pastry, starting to eat on it. He wondered if the packs were at war with each other, remembering rumors that he heard about the scuffles that happened rarely.

"Hmm... I don't know, would be interesting to sit down and talk to the wolves... see what's truly going on. They were human too once... some of them, at least. It's not like they're beasts all the time." Jimmy spoke up suddenly before throwing a pastry into his mouth, hating that he had lost himself in his thoughts and spoke out loud what was never meant to be heard by anyone else.

as written by Script

Inarin blushed slightly, smiling at Aaro's words of encouragement - though it didn't reach his eyes. That was what his brother always said, but it didn't shake the feeling that if he didn't become a paladin he'd have failed to live up to his family's expectations.

When Celeste spoke, he was distracted from his thoughts, shooting her an alarmed glance and frowning faintly. "Not all of them deserve that," he said softly, "Jimmy's right. Some are just ordinary people who got bitten. Victims, same as anyone else, trying to live with their curse."

Aaro's mention of the Inquisition drew another grimace. Inarin had only ever met one Inquisitor, and the man had terrified him. His eyes had been filled with anger and hatred, and even in the peaceful confines of the Monastery it seemed his hand had never been far from his blades.

"Well, this is certainly a cheerful conversation," a new voice cut into the discussion, then, as a young man stepped out of the cafe. He looked to be no older than his late teens, a head of stylishly-messy brown hair falling down past his ears, with a lengthy fringe that did nothing to conceal his strikingly bright green eyes. He wore a warm and easy smile on his face as he looked the group of students over.

"I hope you don't mind the interruption," he went on, brushing a stray lock of hair out of his face to join where the rest of the fringe was swept to one side. "I'm pretty new in town and looking to make some friends, but if you'd rather I didn't bother you, I totally understand."

The youth was dressed in a well-fitted white shirt, sleeves rolled up, and a pair of relatively tight jeans. A deep blue jacket was slung over his shoulder. Everything about him seemed to exude style.

Somewhat at a loss for words, Inarin turned to see what the others' reaction to the stranger would be.

as written by Ronin

"Not at all my friend," Aaro interjected before anyone at the table could speak up, "please, have a seat." He gestured to the open chair between Celeste and Jimmy. "My name is Aaro. This is Celeste, Jimmy and Inarin." He tugged at the collar of his uniform. "Proselytes. Just out having some coffee before seventh hour - as well as a quick debate on politics."

as written by Krysis

Celeste gaped at Jimmy, stunned at his desire to know a wolf. The betrayal of any proselyte having such views was compounded by the mild crush she had for the older boy, and she felt like he had punched her in the gut instead of just speaking without thinking about his audience. Then Inarin followed suit, like a slap to her face. If only they had actually struck her, physically, she would know what to do. Words were beyond her purview though and before she could tell them what she thought, here was this stranger walking up.

Her big blue eyes flashed anguish as she ducked her head to let her heavy brown locks hide her face as usual, further hiding behind her cup of tea. It took her a moment to be polite, scooting her chair a little to one side to give this beautiful stranger some space. Damn he was gorgeous, even more so than Jimmy. Well, maybe there was no cure for a broken heart, but her's was only bruised.

Thank goodness Aaro had spoken up before she had lost her temper and yelled. Yelling in public was never a good thing.

She held out her hand to the stylish young man, "Celeste Hogan. It wasn't much of a discussion. They all agree and I am obligated to accept the majority view."

as written by Faithy

Jimmy glanced up at the newcomer, studying him for a minute while Aaro, always the most polite of the group introduced them all. Nodding his head with a slight wave, he went back to his water and pastry, vaguely realizing that Celeste wasn't thrilled with what he said. Sighing, he almost said something to her, but decided he would speak with her later in private. He never spoke his views for that very reason, but today was a weird day for him. Thankfully he didn't say anything during class, because he could only imagine what the Sister would have done or said to him. Exhaling, he glanced back up towards the sky, watching the clouds rolling by at a slow pace. He was tired of being stressed over what all had to be done before he could get silver, but thankfully he was almost there. After a few minutes, he dropped his head back down and shoved another pastry into his mouth, realizing he was eating most of them.

"Eh, yeah, it's nice to meet you. I'm Jimmy Ó’Suaird." He smiled, a little jealous of how stylish the male sitting beside him truly looked.

as written by Script

The newcomer took the offered seat appreciatively, accepting the offered handshakes politely. "It's good to meet you all. I'm Arien - Arien Valentine."

He set down his mug on the table, "Proselytes, huh? Is life in the Monastery as exciting as I've heard?" he asked with an amused smirk, "I don't mean to diminish the calling, or anything, but I don't think I could stand giving up half the things you guys have to." He gave an almost musical laugh. "I do like the uniforms, though. They're very eye-catching." At that, he shot a wink in Celeste's direction, letting his lustrous green orbs meet hers for a fleeting moment before he looked back to the group.

Inarin stayed quiet as the newcomer spoke, his nerves returning in the face of a stranger. His eyes flicked over to where Jimmy was cloudgazing, watching the other proselyte for a few moments and wondering what he was thinking, before he realised he was staring and quickly turned away again.

as written by Ronin

Aaro laughed. "It's certainly... educational." He downed the rest of his cup with a swift gulp and waived dismissively. "It's more the Paladins that have the fun. Fighting evil and whatnot. If we students aren't breaking our backs in the training room, we're melting our brains in the classroom." He reclined lazily in his chair. "It's nice to get out now and then. Have a bit of fun."

as written by Krysis

Celeste looked blank at Arien, smoothing back her hair with the back of her hand so she could meet his gaze more directly. "I don't know what you mean. What do we give up that ordinary folks don't choose to go without every day? Plus we don't have to scramble for wages like most of them do. It's different for people that come from money, but my family is poor."

Then she gives a harsh little laugh, "If I wasn't a proselyte, I would probably be married already. Maybe have a kid on the way, and the same sort of job my siblings have, not to mention probably having to support one or two family members that happen to be down on their luck. No thanks. I'll take 14 hours a day of becoming a badass over pushing a mop or drowning in debt. Alcohol and not having to wear a uniform wouldn't make that sort of life desirable to me."

Maybe she had a bit bleaker view than warranted, but what she described was exactly the sort of life one of her older sisters had fallen into. The other was addicted to various things, and her brothers were chronically unemployed. Celeste thanked all the lucky stars for her place in the church.

That didn't stop her from blushing at Arien's wink though, and giving a shy smile at the very mild flirting.

as written by Faithy

Dropping his gaze back upon the group, Jimmy noted Inarin staring at him, though the younger proselyte quickly looked away. Grinning a little, he thought about saying something, but knew that embarrassing the teen would be cruel. Instead he just gazed over towards Celeste, his brow arching at her comment. Clearly there was a little bit of drama in her house, but he didn't want to delve into her personal life without her allowing it. That meant, he wouldn't say a word until she brought up the subject. Even then, he wasn't sure how much he would ask about, especially since he wasn't a huge talker. Humming a little, he couldn't help but agree with Aaro.

"Yeah, having fun is good for the soul. There's no way I'm going to just hit the books and be a studious little proselyte until I get my silver. I want to live... to have fun... to actually experience life and if I get into a little trouble, well... that's alright too." Grinning, Jimmy gave a thumbs up before winking at Inarin, his head dropping back so that he could once again stare at the clouds.

Back