Making a starter post.

Koishiteru

Is probably one of the most challenging parts of a roleplay and I know I'm not the only one that's had some problems with this, so I thought I'd make a thread!

What helps you create starters and where do you begin?
Do you go straight into character detail or flesh out the scenery? How do you go about creating a post that your partner can easily understand and reply too?

I've always been curious about this and thought the replies would be interesting. c:

Just make sure that, when you create an opening scene, you accomplish three objectives.

#1: Establish a tone. You need to know what the general atmosphere of the scene is--is it uplifting? Upbeat? Downtrodden? Depressing? What is it? What are people supposed to feel then they look at this scene?

#2: Establish a conflict or point of interest. You'll need something that either needs to be resolved, or interacted with--in the case of the former, use it when you want to create an "In Medias Res" intro, such as in an action story, or an adventure story. In the case of the latter, make sure your partner/players are on board and know what they're supposed to be doing--if you have a particular NPC you want people to talk to, tell them why, tell them who it is, and ask them how do they feel about it and whether or not they want to try a different angle.

#3: Establish an entry point for the actors in the scene. The "actors" in this case being the characters you want to be involved. Either have them already be present, or have them arriving in the scene. Again, ask your partner/players if you aren't sure how they would like their characters to appear.

Just make sure that, when you create an opening scene, you accomplish three objectives.

#1: Establish a tone. You need to know what the general atmosphere of the scene is--is it uplifting? Upbeat? Downtrodden? Depressing? What is it? What are people supposed to feel then they look at this scene?

#2: Establish a conflict or point of interest. You'll need something that either needs to be resolved, or interacted with--in the case of the former, use it when you want to create an "In Medias Res" intro, such as in an action story, or an adventure story. In the case of the latter, make sure your partner/players are on board and know what they're supposed to be doing--if you have a particular NPC you want people to talk to, tell them why, tell them who it is, and ask them how do they feel about it and whether or not they want to try a different angle.

#3: Establish an entry point for the actors in the scene. The "actors" in this case being the characters you want to be involved. Either have them already be present, or have them arriving in the scene. Again, ask your partner/players if you aren't sure how they would like their characters to appear.

This is really good advice! I'll be sure to look over these notes when I go to create posts. <3

For me, when writing a start I just throw myself into that world. you just have to relax and imagine you are that person. I try to put in as much detail as I can without over doing it or intimidating the other person as well. Honestly there are so many different like.... elements to a starter post.. but, that really helps me out a lot... Thanks!

I actually adore making introduction posts these days. I feel like I write my best when I'm setting the tone and the mood. I think it's a control thing, though. I know if I make the first post, I'll get to set the time, place, weather, etc. Even if it was something pre-discussed, I still get the chance to have the first word in it, and it makes me super excited.

My best advice is to see it as an opportunity to run with it (inside the RP structure, of course). Otherwise, on the occasion that I do struggle with an intro, I always go straight to asking questions from RP partners/RP groups. I found that asking questions about preferred meeting places or scenarios helped me kick things into gear.
And don't try to rush yourself either. It's okay to take your time to put out an introduction.

Back