Microscope RPG

Starrik

The Wonderful Wookiee
I picked up the Microscope RPG about a week ago, and I've been having a blast making pretty much everyone foolish enough to sit down at a table with me play it.

For those that have never heard of it, Microscope is a world-building game that has no GM and no preparation required, where players independently but collaboratively create a world (and its history) together. Has anyone on here played a game of Microscope and turned it into the world for an RP? How did it go?

Just generally, who has played Microscope and what did you think?

It's quite a lot of fun, as long as you make it clear that A) you're not allowed to discuss things and B) everyone has to provide creative input. But as long as you follow the first, the second is enforced by the rules. A brother and I did an alternative history Star Wars branching out from A New Hope (that was canon and everything else was up for grabs) which involved the Skywalker triplets: Luke, Leia and Lando; as well as a mind-control war between the Jedi and Sith.

Fun though it was, I think I'd recommend not doing alternate histories, people get too bogged down in what actually happens.

Back