MMOs in 2017: Discuss

Morph

Best Villain 2016*
After months or in some cases years of waiting, it seems all of the new and exciting MMOs are either in a playable state going into 2017 or are slated to get one by mid year (read: end of year).

Which ones are you excited for? Which ones do you wish you knew more about?

I'm financially invested in Star Citizen, Chronicles of Elyria, and Crowfall (to the tune of $600 between the three). I recently found out about two others--Dark & Light and Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen--that I can't find much information on, but at least look interesting.

I'm betting a few of you are also into Chronicles of Elyria, due to the game's inherent appeal to RPers.

I have not seen any news for 2017 mmo games D:! And all I do is play MMO's and go to work. Where are you getting the information if I may ask? I will have to check out all of those out! Although I want to say I heard of Chronicles of Elyria..

I have not seen any news for 2017 mmo games D:! And all I do is play MMO's and go to work. Where are you getting the information if I may ask? I will have to check out all of those out! Although I want to say I heard of Chronicles of Elyria..

Chronicles of Elyria is a persistent world game where players run the kingdoms all the way from the monarch to the gentry. The world is huge, and unmapped, so players are going to have to explore and make maps with in-game tools. Your characters age and die over time, and then their souls are reincarnated into your new characters, with boosts to the skills you used best in your past life. The social systems are designed around hidden identities and agendas. They aim to create a system where players can gain advantages with cunning and cleverness, and quality of play is rewarded as much or more than overall time spent playing.

As for my information, I get a lot of it from http://www.mmorpg.com/ and YouTube. News for Star Citizen, CoE, and Crowfall come to me directly because I paid money already.

Chronicles of Elyria is a persistent world game where players run the kingdoms all the way from the monarch to the gentry. The world is huge, and unmapped, so players are going to have to explore and make maps with in-game tools. Your characters age and die over time, and then their souls are reincarnated into your new characters, with boosts to the skills you used best in your past life. The social systems are designed around hidden identities and agendas. They aim to create a system where players can gain advantages with cunning and cleverness, and quality of play is rewarded as much or more than overall time spent playing.

Sounds interesting too bad I am not very cunning xD! How about the other games?

Sounds interesting too bad I am not very cunning xD! How about the other games?

Star Citizen is persistent... space. There is space, and you are in it with other people. Some of them are trying to kill you. It is pretty.

Crowfall is a PvP game where you're a demigod dropped into a dying world with the goal of conquering it before it's devoured by the all consuming magical force that is slowly creeping outward from the center of the universe.

I should add that everything is voxel-based, so the castle sieges are actually about bringing up the mangonels and blowing holes in the walls to get in.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to get my hands on a good MMO but it has been years. I've almost played all of the ones people can think of, having alpha/bested tested the lot of them in early stages. None of them really stuck. I think the last ones I took seriously for a short period of time were GW2 and FF. But I haven't been able to stick to one for long, whether it be grinding, P2P, etc. I always find a reason to dislike them somehow.

~M

It seems to have an interesting concept. Crowfall seems interesting as well. Sadly, no time lately. With school and everything else... not to mention I am sitting around waiting for the release of the new Zelda game this Spring (optimistically).

~M

I was excited for Chronicles of Elyria since I saw it on Kickstarter... other than that I will also try out Bless online, seems promising but after Riders of Icarus turned out to be crap I don't want to get my hopes up too fast.

I don't follow MMO's as closely as most kinds of games. But I have been playing Guild Wars 2 for the past few years and still enjoy it.

I was excited for Chronicles of Elyria since I saw it on Kickstarter... other than that I will also try out Bless online, seems promising but after Riders of Icarus turned out to be crap I don't want to get my hopes up too fast.

Asian MMOs generally don't do well when they're localized. It's not so much that the game itself is bad, but that the company localizing it rips it apart and then sews it back together wrong. And of course the producers, having no interest in any data beyond raw sales figures, assume that means Asian MMOs aren't popular overseas and need more extensive localization... so the cycle continues.

Back