Multilinguals, what do you say differently now that you speak multiple languages?

AmatsuOtaku

Professional fanboy
Thread title says it all. Sometimes we pick up on speech mannerisms or accents that people around us just don't understand. I primarily speak English but I'm learning Japanese and have some very different ways of speaking now.

These first few posts are copied over from another thread.

I've lived in the US my whole life.

My family says "color", I say "colour". (Autocorrect just tried to tell me "colour" was incorrect because I live in the US. Seriously?) I also use two L in some words that have been Americanized to only have one, like "traveling" vs "travelling".

There's also the "grey" vs "gray" debate. I use "grey" because the "e" sound is pronounced the same as the Japanese "e" and I'm more used to "A" sounding like "ah". Even though I'm a native English speaker. Idk why

I even add U to some Japanese words that are often written without it, like using "sayounara" vs the common "sayonara". It's a minor difference and only slightly changes how it's pronounced, it's not even noticeable.

My family also hates the fact that I've started saying some things differently after watching some Australian YouTubers for a while.
For example, pronouncing "H" differently. Not quite sure how to explain it but there's a difference.

A few things America does differently that's just confusing;

I keep getting "fries" and "chips" messed up, thanks America for being so different from the rest of the world lol
Football and soccer. Why are they switched in America? Just why? FOOTBALL. FOOT. BALL. You use your feet to maneuver the ball, it's football, WHY DO WE CALL IT SOCCER OMG-
Biscuits are biscuits, quit calling everything "cookies" what the heck America?

There is also a mildly infuriating translation error in an anime I'm watching where they can't decide if it's tea or coffee. ... How does this even happen?

Back