Resolved/Answered Randomly Being Logged Out

Silence

Anonymous Me
Hey, I've been having a problem with STC lately. Just in the last 24 hours or so whenever I log into STC it will randomly log me out. This is not a problem on any of my other sites. @aryamajor has reported the same issue as well. If there is something we need to do with our browsers let us know. Just thought I'd drop a note in case anyone besides the two of us have had that problem.

We recently moved the site to a new server, so the most likely culprit would be old cookies from before the move. I would suggest clearing your cache and cookies and then let me know if it still keeps happening.

Unfortunately that is not the case at all. I clean my browsing history frequently and I use a private browser when I'm online.

I'll nudge Dash to look into it then. He's at work right now though.

I've been having a few issues with it this morning again as well, but no worries, just let us know what happens with it.^^

Yeah, we had a few others experiencing it after the site move, but so far it has resolved itself for the ones who said anything to me. A few hiccups after moving servers is normal, and usually a cookies problem. Clearing those seemed to fix it for others, but it could have just been a coincidence and fixed itself. Either way I'll let Dash have a poke at it. He's more tech savvy than I.

Make sure it's the cookies that you're clearing, not the browser history. If necessary, you can also type our site name in your browser's cookie list and delete only the cookies for our site.

Not much else I can do unfortunately, other than mass purge the cookies on our end so your browsers are forced to pick up new ones. But this would log everyone out and clear all their settings which is not exactly ideal.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but it's just the nature of how cookies work.

If you're interested in some extra security for your account and have access to a smartphone you can also add Two factor authentication to your account, that'll force a new kind of cookie to be generated if you set it to remember you for 30 days.

Worst case scenario, it's a problem that will clear itself eventually when the cookies naturally expire, probably at the end of the month since I never changed their duration and it's standard for login cookies to last 30 days.

EDIT: Noticed the mention of private browsing, I'll check to see if the problem could be something else besides incorrect cookies.

It'll probably take me a couple of days to chase down different reasons for why this may be happening to you guys, but you might be able to help me narrow down the obvious.

@Silence and @aryamajor , I need you to keep an eye out next time this happens to you.

For two things in particular right now:

1. Did it log you out after you clicked an internal link (a link from one page of the site to another), and if it did, did the page you end up include the www prefix or was it just storytellerscircle.com, plus where was the link located.

2. A bit harder to expect, but roughly how long since you logged in did it log you out, and if possible the time that it logged you out.

These will give me a few things to narrow it down to.

Heya Dash!

The log out issue has been happening while just chatting and has happened multiple times while trying to post. I can write a post and hit reply but the site tells me I'm not logged in. Once I log in again it allows the post to go through. It hasn't been happening with external links. As far as the time frame goes, its happened a few times with maybe 5 minutes between the last log in. Silence has been having it happen almost 2 minutes apart.

Does this help?^^

Heya Dash!

The log out issue has been happening while just chatting and has happened multiple times while trying to post. I can write a post and hit reply but the site tells me I'm not logged in. Once I log in again it allows the post to go through. It hasn't been happening with external links. As far as the time frame goes, its happened a few times with maybe 5 minutes between the last log in. Silence has been having it happen almost 2 minutes apart.

Does this help?^^

Maybe. Not actually home yet, so I can't check the things I want to, but that may be helpful in narrowing it down to a couple of possibilities with how the sessions are being stored and handled for you guys.

I'll give that a check, but most likely won't be able to get deep into it until tomorrow. Sorry :(

I have had several of the same issues with trying to post and it logs me out before it will post. The time frame feels pretty random. Sometimes it is around 2-10 minutes at the most. Private chat is especially bad. Also it will often times say I'm still logged in even though I have been logged out on my side. So I have to log back in even though the site says I'm online and then I can continue. If I log out it will register that I'm logged out. (Hopefully those extra details help.)

EDIT: https://www.storytellerscircle.com/forums/

Logged out on that address after 4 minutes or less.

Last edited:
Maybe. Not actually home yet, so I can't check the things I want to, but that may be helpful in narrowing it down to a couple of possibilities with how the sessions are being stored and handled for you guys.

I'll give that a check, but most likely won't be able to get deep into it until tomorrow. Sorry :(

It's no worries, we just wanted to let you guys and see if others were having the issue. ^^

So I was chatting with some of the other members on discord and @BrookeDi told me that she used to have problems with being logged out randomly on the last server. She solved the issue by checking the stay logged in box right next to the password. I decided to give it a shot and for now it seems to be working. If the problem persists I'll drop another note, otherwise it appears to have been fixed for me.

It also logs me out randomly, except it only does it after 5 minutes or so. And I don't use incognito and I have deleted my cookies and I don't use any scripts on things like tampermonkey and the sort.

I wonder. Do you, or @BrookeDi also browse incognito by any chance?

I don't. I just know on the old serve sometimes I would login and it would kick me out repeatedly until I clicked "keep me logged in" but I think it only did it on certain computers.

Thanks for the extra info everyone. For now if you're having this issue and are able to, use the stay logged in option, and I'll tinker around to find out what the issue is.

Back