Sinner's Wood

Lucky Shadow

Friendly Foul-Mouthed Shadow Cat
So this is actually an idea from my previous rp site. It worked ok there, but I couldn't really do anything too intense with it due to site rules. I'll try to keep things concise for the start:

Characters wake up in an open grave and are greeted by a well-dressed man who pulls them out and welcomes them to what's known as the Sinner's Wood. Nobody knows how or why people get in, and none of the human residents know a way out. The general goal for most characters will be to find a way out or make one.

The Wood is a pretty dark place, both figuratively and in the sense that there is little light. Trees grow close enough together to block out the sun in most places, and the weather is perpetually dreary. Navigation is all but impossible for most residents, since it's not unusual to walk straight north for half an hour and still end up back where you started.

There are 3 types of characters in the Wood: humans, Fiends, and Patrons. Humans are self-explanatory, obviously. Many can't fully remember their pasts, and the only unifying trait seems to be that they weren't great people. They're stuck in the Wood together, and the place seems to exist to torment them. Those that don't quickly side with a Patron often find themselves in the grave once more, though some resilient (or simply mad) souls eke out a living on their own or in small groups. Almost all humans make their living by hunting and scavenging food and supplies from ramshackle buildings that litter the forest in its less hostile regions.

Fiends are nightmare-ish creatures whose motives are as varied as their appearance. Some resemble humans to a great degree, with only a few warped components distinguishing them from the humans. Others are reminiscent of other animals, strange but not wholly alien. However, many that dwell deep within the Wood lack an applicable comparison. It is not entirely uncommon for a Fiend to speak, though many do not appear inclined to conversation. They are all long-time residents of the Wood, though their origin is unclear, at least to humans.

Patrons are a handful of deity-like beings that exert some amount of control over the Wood. Humans and Fiends alike ally themselves with these entities in order to survive. Players would have to specificay reqyest permission to create a new Patron, since the balance of power between them is central to the story.

That's about it, I think. Spooky forest with inconsistent space-time, a bunch of horrific monsters, and a couple of dark gods for good measure. There's more to it, but I don't wanna spend time fleshing everything out if no one is interested. So what do y'all think?

Last edited:
Nice! I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it can be hella fun, and it's definitely a unique story

Aight, that should be ok. One of the patrons has a tendency to set people on fire when they piss her off, so there's actually kind of a precedent for that. Fiends are mid-power level typically, with some exceptions.

Alright, so at the very least, you have me, lol. It seems the forum kinda has a slight aversion to Horror, but I'd think Dark Fantasy would be an exception. Good luck, welcome to the Circle!

Horror can be pretty hard to RP when you put too much emphasis on it. I don't plan to have the scary stuff hog the spotlight much. Hopefully that'll do. Imma polish up the explanation and add some stuff. Check back later, there might be a bit more for you to work with for your character.

I. Am. In.

I love the setting, if it's not original I have no clue where it's from, and I'd like it to stay that way. Big fan of horror/dark fantasy settings myself.

I. Am. In.

I love the setting, if it's not original I have no clue where it's from, and I'd like it to stay that way. Big fan of horror/dark fantasy settings myself.

The setting is heavily inspired by an indie game called Darkwood, but the residents and plot are largely of my brother and my design. Glad to hear you're in! I'll be posting a few example Fiends as well as descriptions for the Patrons later today or possibly tonight, so keep an eye out!

This sounds really cool, reminds omega of the intro to don't starve. I'll be in for it, gotta play that fiend.

To everyone that's been waiting, I'm very sorry. Don't really have much of a physical reason, just had...Well, to keep things concise without oversimplifying: I had a recurrence of depression this week and haven't been able to shake it off til today. My brother (Cap Cannonfists) is gonna be helping me make this if y'all are still interested, so there's always gonna be someone that's functional enough to continue with it.

Hey folks, just got told about this or I'd have been here sooner. I can't believe I never thought of reigniting this after the original site it was posted on was taken down. The way things tend to work when Lucky and I work on things together is that I come up with the ideas in theory and he makes them work in practice while keeping my imagination grounded pretty close to my writing ability. Should have more information for you guys soon.

Back