Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacksmith

Tonight, we hunt Outsiders!
Reboot of a concept hashed out a while back, set after Civil War.

-----------

"Mama! Hey mama!"

The sound of innocence distilled was the first thing he had noticed. The second was his surroundings. One moment, he was in a full downpour on a world. The next, he was dry and in a place he knew very, very well. It was a beautiful day in contrast here from his former locale. Clear, blue skies dotted with clouds gave him a brief sense of vertigo as he looked into the distance. The wind was as warm and inviting as the sun that shone down on the clearing, illuminating the pair that embraced as a familiar castle gleamed. Fae-like, it's spires loomed over the land, bright and heavenward for all to see. There was no one else in sight, but that humming noise and laughter brought him peace to a degree he couldn't imagine he was capable of feeling.

"How-."

The settings shifted. He was suddenly inside a familiar room, but he no longer cared. Lucifer had only eyes for the two who didn't seem to notice him. His clothing had reverted from the soldiers uniform he had infiltrated in, replaced with his customary executor outfit. A shadow in the room, he stood there watching the two, tongue-tied as he saw.... Her.

She radiated brightness, a regal air combined with a kind spirit. Her hair was wavy, black as night and it curled down her back, around her shoulders like a dragon at rest. She was wearing her customary headband, that held back the fringes as a single white rose, shone in contrast against it. He knew without looking that she would have 'lost' her shoes, the woman far more comfortable barefoot. As he watched, an errant thought crossed his mind.

Motherhood suits her.

For who else could the child she embraced so be, but her own? With a smile, he realized he knew this one. Little Kana, from an incident below the sea. He should have known, he thought fondly. He bore few regrets from that last dance, when he obeyed her command. It was a cherished memory, one of many from his time on that world. He would have been lying if he said he wasn't tempted to remain and live out his days here. But then, he wouldn't be the man he was and Corrin recognized that. So they parted as friends and with heads held high. He was happy to see she found someone, afterwards. He realized Kana was presenting flowers to Corrin and in a face that had little cause to smile, he could feel the corners of his mouth twitching upwards. So brave and earnest, in the all-too brief time he knew her. Yes, she was certainly her mother's daughter.

"-when I was real little, we’d go looking at flowers together, Mama. You always smiled so much, and I love your smile! So I decided to start bringing you lots and lots of flowers!”

Kana giggled leaping for Corrin's lap with the sheer, trusting nature of a child. Corrin laughed in turn, her voice distinctly musical as she hugged her back. For his part, Lucifer smiled and turned to leave the room. As pleasant a vision as this was, he was in the midst of work and had much to do.

He was stopped as Corrin addressed him directly.

“Why did you leave?”

He froze, slowly he turned to look. Kana had vanished. Now there was only Corrin, staring at him and removing any doubt that she could see him. He had seen that expression twice- Once in the midst of battle, the second the night he danced with her. His brow furrowed as he said quietly.

“You’re not real. I have no truck for illusions, no matter how nice. Now spirit, djinn or whatever you are- release me. I was in a war zone.”

“Aren’t you always in a war zone?” Whoever had done this illusion was a master, that look of smoldering annoyance that would be fanned into a flame was spot on. She looked at him, seeing through his barriers as she continued. “There’s always a fight. Always a battle. Always a villain. You fight and fight, pressing on without regard for yourself as you always have. You haven’t changed one whit since the day you first put on that priestly garb.”

His eyes flashed, the spirit treading on dangerous ground now as he scowled. Hands in his pockets, he let out a sigh.

“If this is a Dickens situation, I’m afraid I’m not in the mood. I’m satisfied with my life as it is now. I perform work, regardless of man, state or nation for those who need it most. Not even the fracturing of the Coalition removed that from me.” Corrin finally smiled and it was pitying in its glance.

“No. But it hurt your faith. You couldn’t handle the mistakes made by those in power. Nor the fact they swiftly fell to squabble amongst each other, to the point your enemies infiltrated. Organizations are made of people, Executor. If you expect perfection, remove that splinter from your eye first.”

His jaw clenched, his fist cracked inside his pocket. He stared at her, no longer amused and good mood gone. A moment later, he simply turned and strode off. He would not stay and be belittled by a ghost of his past. Behind him, he could sense her following him, perhaps trying to call him back. He resolved to ignore her cries and so was unprepared, when she gripped his collar and wrenched him around to look at her. Eyes flaring bright, she snarled and a hint of the Dragon shone through it.

“It’s not why I’m here. You want to run? Fine. You’ll be running all your life, as you always have. But you need to know. About her. Kana. She...She’s…”

She exhaled quietly, before looking lost and despite himself, his arms moved to hug her.

Clare, Corrin, Yomi- He could see a pattern and felt a wry sense of self-loathing. Yomi was his enemy now, had been so for a long time. Clare, he had betrayed when he resigned-leaving his partner, his friend over his sense of dissatisfaction finally voiced by the spirit. Corrin… Enough said there.

“What’s wrong?”

“She’s in danger.”

Lucifer blinked.

The vision ended and he found himself in the storm. The only noises around him, the respirator he bore as a full-on mask and the sound of the rain and the cries of a war camp below his vantage point. He stared down at it all, confused and annoyed. What was that vision? Why did it come as it did, in the form that it did? An attack? A premonition? He didn’t know. Quietly, debating he finally snarled to himself and broke comm silence.

“Gwen. I’ll be making a detour.”

His thumb pressed the deadman’s switch and below, the camp lit up as explosions roared from the charges planted. Tossing it to the side, he stepped away as he headed for his ship and scowled beneath the mask.

Half-listening to her reply, he knew there was only one choice really, if it was a genuine call for help.

Otherwise, he wouldn’t be who he was.

-------

Lightning crackled, elsewhere as a storm brewed over the castle. Corrin would be humming to herself, reading a book as she sat in the library. The castle was lethargic, the weather making for drowsy folks from the magi experimenting to the knights snoring in full armor, rigid at their seats. Fog was rolling in, thick and heavy as well.

The sun had set and night was coming fast.

@Once more with feeling! @Sen

"Kana, are you sure we need more apples?"
The young boy with silver-grey hair was diligently following behind a little girl, who was leading him towards a thicket of trees ladened with plump red apples, like bait just waiting for Kana to jump at. "I think Dad might be angry if he finds that we're outside..."
ZmHRlGX.png

"Kiragi, don't be such a party pooper! And Shiro ate almost all the apples, I gotta get some for Mama! You know the apples here are the best. Don't you remember Mama's apple pie that one time?"

"It was good but... I think I like fox meat more."

The girl pouted at the comment, as if she was surprised that someone found fox game better than delicious crispy apples.

4YWx6q3.png

"You go hunting too much! Takumi isn't going to be angry, you're always outside anyway! Plus, there are no foxes here when it's almost nighttime!"
And so begrudgingly the two little figures began loading the small bucket they had brought with apples, with the young boy deftly and expertly climbing the strong limbs of the tree to pick the uppermost fruits, where they were bigger and more red - her absolute favourites. Eating them just like that, or baking them into desserts, sharing them with her mother was the most fun thing to do in her opinion.

Once they had gathered a respectable amount - or enough for the little girl to be satisfied - their remaining task was to bring them back home. The castle was not far away, but the incoming night was eerily quiet. It was as if all life had been hushed, and the sky rumbled to show a sign of an incoming storm. However, under all of the clouds was a beautiful moon, the bright orb hanging among the sea of stars.

ZmHRlGX.png

"I think the moon is extra, extra pretty tonight," Kana commented, clutching one handle of the bucket while her companion held the other. At this time of the day, Kiragi was the only one who would bother coming out with Kana to go 'hunting'. He was out all the time even though his father didn't encourage that behavior.

The moon was a luminous thing, set against the night with all the elegance of Corrins rose decoration against her hair. But then again of late, Kana had found herself more and more at home at times like these. Darkness had no fear for her, with a full moon the orchard may has well have been day. A raccoon trilled softly as it picked its way through the trees. An owl ghosted overhead-in its own way, the night was as lively as the day with its own wonders and mysteries.

And dangers.

A cool breeze blew and it brought with it a stench of decay.

As it moved swiftly in the dark, Kana forewarned would see it.

CGJ9PDW.png

@Sen

kU3rXY6.png

"Kiragi, do you smell that?" she tilted her head upwards and wrinkled her nose when she caught a whiff of something horrid on the air. Her companion nodded and covered his nose with his sleeve, peering into the darkness to see the source.

"It's like an animal died out here or something-"

"Watch out!" Kana exclaimed as she threw herself onto Kiragi to knock him out of the way of a shadow that swiped at them from the darkness. It seemingly came out of nowhere, and if Kana hadn't protected her friend he could have been gravely injured.

There were no adults here, just two children and the monster that stood before them. Kana had never seen it before and neither had Kiragi - they were familiar with the Faceless that roamed here occasionally, but this was something entirely new. With a confident expression the dragon girl drew her sword, the silver blade glinting under the moonlight. Likewise, Kiragi drew his bow and quickly pulled an arrow to arm himself with.

rn7CJ4r.png

"Go away, monster!" Kana growled, "We're not scared of you!"

Last edited:
It was a night of shadows before the castle. The darkness and fog seemingly alive, writhing and twisted outside the walls. The guards on duty were cold, but they knew their duty. Veterans of the battles between Nohr and Hoshido, every one of them was a warrior-proven. To them, the heroes who had flocked to their Lady were not only heroes to be admired, but to emulate. The lance, the sword, the bow-all these and more were their weapons against whatever foe may emerge.

Not that there were any who would dare breach the castle here. The Lady’s reputation was well-earned, not only against her former foes-turned-family but also against other monsters, from the local wildlife encountered to the nightmare rat-folk that once invaded these lands. They were confident enough on that much. One reason why they were taking the sense of unease so seriously as they peered into the dark.

“It swallows up the light.” One of the guards noted, having tossed a lit torch from the wall into the night. It had gone some meters before them, before vanishing into shadow. He frowned and asked his sargent. “Magic perhaps? I sent a runner off to to the Mages tower fifteen minutes ago.” The sargent, a monolith in plate mail nodded in approval.

“Good lad. Something like this happens, you do that. No dilly-dallying about finding permission. You just do it. Now bar the gate. Get runners up for everyone else if you hadn’t and call up her Ladyship.” He stared at the unending night and could have sworn it was staring back in malevolent hatred as he scowled.

“...We may be in for a fight.”

And then out in the dark, a blood-curdling howl filled the air. Followed by another....And another....And another.

Something was coming.

-----
With a confident expression the dragon girl drew her sword, the silver blade glinting under the moonlight. Likewise, Kiragi drew his bow and quickly pulled an arrow to arm himself with.

rn7CJ4r.png

"Go away, monster!" Kana growled, "We're not scared of you!"

Brave children. Even armed, there were many in their places who would have ran. The creature itself, unsettling to anyone who faced it. It's face was a mask of iron, melded into flesh. It's eyes glowed bright and savage, it's teeth gnashed. There was no blood in its veins, save a bile to match its scent. When it moved, it was more human than spider.

And at Kana's voice, it froze and stared at them. No. Not them.

Her.

It stared at Kana and howled in the night, the unearthly call repeated and echoed by still more. And with a gutteral cry, it charged into a sprint for the two, claws out as it attempted to slash the children again.

Out in the castle direction, the sound of spell and blade echoed through the Orchard. This was no isolated incident.

The Castle was under attack.

@Sen

4YWx6q3.png

"Hrahh!" Kana yelled as she swung her sword upwards to meet the claws of the monster. She was young but she had plenty of battle experience, even if her mother didn't let her out often. She stuck her tongue out at the beast as if to mock it. "Hmph! I've beaten monsters way uglier than you!" Kana pouted at it - for the monster had helped her recall distant memories.

Her companion made a face, "What? You have? Where? Why didn't you invite me?" he asked as he deftly fired an arrow towards the monster with deadly capacity. He aimed for the monster's legs as he tried to incapacitate it.

kU3rXY6.png

"Cus' you're not interested in anything than hunting animals."

@Blacksmith

4YWx6q3.png

"Hrahh!" Kana yelled as she swung her sword upwards to meet the claws of the monster. She was young but she had plenty of battle experience, even if her mother didn't let her out often. She stuck her tongue out at the beast as if to mock it. "Hmph! I've beaten monsters way uglier than you!" Kana pouted at it - for the monster had helped her recall distant memories.

Her companion made a face, "What? You have? Where? Why didn't you invite me?" he asked as he deftly fired an arrow towards the monster with deadly capacity. He aimed for the monster's legs as he tried to incapacitate it.

kU3rXY6.png

"Cus' you're not interested in anything than hunting animals."

@Blacksmith

Valla-The new Kingdom between Nohr and Hoshido could be broadly known as the best of both worlds. It's royal family had roots in both sides and after the fighting, citizens of both kingdoms flocked to join for a new life. And now, it was under attack. Veterans of both sides of the war, good men and women faced the night and clashed as the numbers grew and within the castle, other forces came to bear their power in turn. Fire and lightning crackled and burst, followed by steel of blade, lance... All of it, swiftly overrun by the sound of a dragon as Corrin entered the fight. Another sound that quickly penetrated towards the orchard.

Meanwhile, the claws of the beast clashed with the sword of Kana. Sparks flew as claws raked down again and again, the creature howling as it staggered, the arrow penetrating it's leg. Save for a brief brief stumble however, it didn't seem to notice.

Over the orchard walls, six more of the beasts were coming.

@Sen

She leapt away from the monster's swipe with Kiragi, who used the spare seconds to fire more arrows towards their attacker. It showed no signs of stopping and the two children were beginning to feel concerned. Kana could hear something happening back inside the castle town, and there was a distant yet familiar roar sounding - her mother.

"Father! There's trouble back in town!" Kiragi shouted, as he pelted the monster with more projectiles, sharp and accurate from his bow. "We have to go back!"

WuqSo1b.png

The dragon girl's eyes swivelled away from the monster to a hoard approaching them. Their stench filled the air, and it made her feel nauseous. "Kiragi! There's more-"

EndYitd.png

They could hear their fathers and mothers fighting, and that was enough to give them newfound energy. "I have no time for you stupid monsters! We're going home to protect our mamas and papas!" She quickly pulled out a glowing blue stone, it had no particular shape, yet had clearly been carved. It was her Dragonstone, and by harnessing it's energy she could...

There was earth-shuddering roar from the field just on the outskirts of the castle town of Valla. Little Kana, with dragon blood in her veins, waved her hoove-like feet like a rearing horse as her small figure transformed into a deer-like dragon. With a pounce, the silver and blue dragon, scales like armor, jumped upon the monster they had been preoccupied with, hooking it with her antlers and throwing her head back, flinging it into the air.

Without hesitation, the mighty beast charged forth, threatening to trample anybody in her way. The small but confident archer jumped onto his companion's back with a boyish grin, firing arrows like bolts of lightning. "Take that! And that!"

She leapt away from the monster's swipe with Kiragi, who used the spare seconds to fire more arrows towards their attacker. It showed no signs of stopping and the two children were beginning to feel concerned. Kana could hear something happening back inside the castle town, and there was a distant yet familiar roar sounding - her mother.

"Father! There's trouble back in town!" Kiragi shouted, as he pelted the monster with more projectiles, sharp and accurate from his bow. "We have to go back!"

The dragon girl's eyes swivelled away from the monster to a hoard approaching them. Their stench filled the air, and it made her feel nauseous. "Kiragi! There's more-"

They could hear their fathers and mothers fighting, and that was enough to give them newfound energy. "I have no time for you stupid monsters! We're going home to protect our mamas and papas!" She quickly pulled out a glowing blue stone, it had no particular shape, yet had clearly been carved. It was her Dragonstone, and by harnessing it's energy she could...

There was earth-shuddering roar from the field just on the outskirts of the castle town of Valla. Little Kana, with dragon blood in her veins, waved her hoove-like feet like a rearing horse as her small figure transformed into a deer-like dragon. With a pounce, the silver and blue dragon, scales like armor, jumped upon the monster they had been preoccupied with, hooking it with her antlers and throwing her head back, flinging it into the air.

Without hesitation, the mighty beast charged forth, threatening to trample anybody in her way. The small but confident archer jumped onto his companion's back with a boyish grin, firing arrows like bolts of lightning. "Take that! And that!"

The monsters howled in rage, chasing up unable to repel the arrows as those before were trampled by a dragon.

These were creatures of terror. Monsters derived from the endless night, to rip and tear civilians in their beds. Their strength were in numbers and fear, their power measured in terms of hordes. For those brave and clever, it was easy to deal with them; these creatures without a modicum of tactics.

The same could not be said of the rest of the forces. In the distance, covered by shadow and forest the cries of battle raged in the background. The crashing of siege engines, the smell of charred flesh and the choir of pain all soldiers know more intimately than their own infants cries. War had come to Valla, though to their way to the castl

Valla had been transformed into an impromptu battleground, barricades and mixed forces of patrols from the castle and civilians fighting against the enemy. Like before, bodies of the slain dark ones laid upon the streets, impaled upon spears and pikes or with arrow and sword. Some bore the marks of magic, one looked to be torn apart in two.

But the defenders had not had it all their way, the scattered bodies of their own fallen here and there. Thankfully, fewer than expected.

From the skies, the scream of a Wyvern filled the air and before the children landed a rider, familiar with the two.

Handmaiden to Kana's aunt, clad in black armor she cut an imposing figure. From an alleyway, one of the monsters would come out howling and was promptly crunched down on by her Wyvern.

The rider raised the helm and calmly, spoke.

rGcHEmn_d.jpg

"My lady. Your aunt has sent me to find you both."

There was a pause as she stared at them, before adding.

"She is very distraught."

@Sen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back