Spellheart

☆Luna☆

Little Fighter
If it is not obvious by the massive wall of text you are about to read, this RP is like my child. I have put an enormous amount of time and care into designing every detail of this world and the plot. I know this is a lot to read. I know most people will not take the time to read through. My warning to you is as follows. Spellheart is a game where every detail matters, and failing to notice gets your character killed or worse. Out of four runs, nobody has finished the first arc. This RP is not for the faint of heart. This RP will easily last over a year just to clear the first arc. Therefore, if you do not enjoy reading this much, this RP is probably not for you. However, I can vouch for the experience being well worth it. Even without completing it, this has easily been my favorite RP I have ever had the pleasure of designing. I am only going to be picking one person to do this with me, however you are perfectly free to use my combat system in the battle arena or wherever else.

Basic Premise

Spellheart is a floating city where society has reached the pinnacle. Thanks to the revolutionary discovery of materialization magic, the economy is approaching post-scarcity. With a mere handful of mages able to be serve the basic needs of the population, most of the population lives out their lives without any sort of job to support their livelihood. Those who do hold jobs do so merely for a sense of purpose, enjoyment, honor, or prestige associated with being able to keep that job. Having grown up in such an environment, your character (the protagonist), grew up without a care in the world. For one reason or another, she joined the military track with the hopes of becoming a top tier mage. As she is taking the entrance exam, she finds herself intertwined in a vast conspiracy through a fateful encounter with aspiring politician Amiko Windflurry.

In this RP, your character will:
  1. Fight epic battles of magic and might using a unique combat system
  2. Battle in the political arena as they try to overcome the xenophobic establishment
  3. Gain powerful allies to aid them in their struggles
  4. Discover the dirty secrets of Spellheart
  5. Gradually fall in love (yuri romance)
Culture Overview

I struggled with this section since I have such a wealth of information about Spellheart that presenting it, in a way that makes sense, proves difficult. I am going to start by using a real life tool called Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions to give you a good way to compare Spellheart's culture to your own.

Introduction to the tool: https://geert-hofstede.com/national-culture.html
Compare your Culture: https://geert-hofstede.com/countries.html

Power Distance 85: Spellheart distributes political power by family and occupation, often reserving the most valuable resources such as technology, protection, real estate, and investigation for the most elite.

Individualism 25: In Spellheart, you take care of people if you are in a position to and people take care of you if you are not. Only about 3% of Spellheart's population of around 300,000 actually holds a job. Because no one expects money in return for services, those who do work earn social capital. What individualism does exist in Spellheart assumes that if people want access to scarce resources (like the attention of influential people) they need to work.

Masculinity 19: In Spellheart, it is far more important that you like what you do than actually being good at it. People tend to be reserved in boasting about personal achievements, instead focusing on the greater good that their larger organization fulfills. What masculinity does exist comes in the political arena and military, where people try to outperform other for privileged positions.

Uncertainty Avoidance 95: In Spellheart, people do not often enjoy taking risks, partly because risk-taking is so unnecessary. When you have a life with all the necessities guaranteed, there is no reason to take risks in the first place. The greatest risk an average member of Spellheart will consider is a minor social risk.

Long Term Orientation 15: Spellheart has remained unchanged for thousands of years, with a significant amount of interest placed in keeping things the same. People are extremely protective of their ability to live peaceful, worry-free lives. Only individuals who want to make a name for themselves, and by extension their family, take steps to better their future.

Indulgence 40: Spellheart is somewhat polarized on this dimension. On the one hand, people are encouraged to engage in whatever activities they want, but they are also quite aware of how their behaviors reflect back on the family name. While those without much social prestige from their family or job are quick to follow their desires, more esteemed citizens are more careful about how their actions reflect back on the family. Overall, however, the average citizen is very resistant to indulging in anything that might make them appear uncommitted to the service of the community as a whole.

Technology

Spellheart has basically every modern comfort you can think of and more to the extent that you are allowed to make up anything within reason and have it as a piece of technology that exists in canon. However, there are some important notes about technology that you need to know about Spellheart.

There are no special modes of transportation. Everyone walks everywhere in the city, though using magic to get around is not unheard of. Although it is entirely possible for them to install teleport pads all over the city, people still walk around. The reason why is related to tradition, but the tradition is so old that seemingly nobody remembers why they have not in the first place.

Crystal balls are like our cell phones. Everyone owns them, they are small, portable, and they have an extensive array of features comparable to an iPhone and a gaming console combined.
Aether pockets would be like if video game inventory were a thing. You can store away any item inside an Aether pocket. However, like video game inventory, there is a limited amount of space. Citizens that are more prestigious receive more Aether. These are only able to store objects, however, as they reject anything that has mana circulating through it. (which occasionally makes it problematic for weapons)

Illusionspace items are objects with world data infused into them. A mage can link up with an Illusionspace item for their mind to enter into the world the object contains. Within Illusionspace, everything feels real, though nothing is real. As a safety feature, mages often must confirm that they want to retain their memories upon leaving illusionspace.

Programming illusionspace objects is a highly skilled task, and the relative scarcity of people who can do it well makes their commission an elite privilege.

City Layout

Spellheart's structure is relatively straightforward and to the point. It has a government sector, two residential sectors, and a commercial sector. These areas are arranged in a radial pattern with the government sector at the core of the city, surrounded by the elite residential sector, surrounded by the commercial sector, and finally leaving the common residential sector at the outskirts.

Regarding size, the government sector is quite small, and access is heavily restricted. The elite residential sector is a thin ring with easy access to the commercial sector. The commercial sector is thick and follows zoning protocols to keep similar services together. The common residential sector gravitates towards the commercial sector, with houses decreasing in quality as you approach the city limits. The exception being that some of the houses at the very edge of town are built for low-level military mages to allow a quick response to a potential attack. While one might think that the city edge might be a popular sightseeing spot, people seldom visit since there is already a skyhole in the commercial area's park; however, it is a good place to be alone.

Noteworthy Locations

While Spellheart has all sorts of resources in the commercial sector, some deserve an honorable mention.

Spellheart Academy is a school run by Maximus Lionsbane. Although it does feature a uniform, there are otherwise no restrictions towards attendance. Any Spellheart citizen of any age may attend the lesson of the day. While technically the privileged have first dibs on classroom seats, so few students actually participate as to make this rule mostly irrelevant. The classes tend to skew younger simply because they are more likely to be aspiring towards jobs, but the turnout often depends on the topic of the day.

The Spellheart Communications Center hosts the world's most powerful crystal ball, capable of talking to anyone, anywhere in the world. However, the ball itself remains tragically underused due to the social stigma associated with external communication. Spellheart is quite isolationist, but even in isolationist countries, contact with the outside world is sometimes necessary. The primary function of this area is to process commercial relations with the outside world. For this reason, it is the only commercial building which breaks zoning via being placed within the elite residential sector, pushed up right on the boundary line between it and the government sector.

The Arena is a facility where two individuals can load an illusionspace to engage in numerous forms of competition, broadcasted to anyone who wishes to spectate. This is the largest building in all of Spellheart, as it can hold the entire population within its walls. Ordinary folk might be interested in the sports leagues that compete here, in addition to all other sorts of activities deemed too big or dangerous for the commercial sector. However, the most significant use of the facility is for training the military. Rather than a traditional military trained through a boot camp of sorts, Spellheart's soldiers are trained through daily-simulated duels to the death where individuals and teams compete to prove their worth.

The Spellheart Combat System

Spellheart has a unique magical combat system that has a high degree of strategic depth. Unlike traditional magic systems where you spend mana to cast spells, Spellheart involves the use of magic circles. So, what is a magic circle, and why should you care about it? Put simply, magic circles are repositories for mana. They store mana up until the point they have enough to cast the spell that the magic circle represents. Mana is measured in terms of SP (special points). If you have a Fireball spell that costs 15 SP, you'd have to create a Fireball spell circle, then wait for enough of your magic to flow into the circle for it to become a Fireball.

So simple enough, you make a spell circle, feed it enough mana to reach its limit, and now you have a spell. Now we need to talk about the mages using these spell circles since there are many important ways that mages are different. Each mage has a different about of mana (SPP), that flows into circles at various rates (SPF), have varying levels of control over their mana (SPC), have different ward types, have a different magical weapon, and have access to different spells. That was quite a lot to process, let's break it down.

First, let's talk about SPP. SPP stands for SP pool. The SP pool denotes how many points of SP the mage can spend throughout the course of a fight. This works much like a mana pool since having more points means you can cast more spells over the course of the match. Mages with high SPP seek to outlast their opponents.

SPF stands for SP flow. This talks about how much mana moves from your SP pool into your spell circles each turn. Having a high SP pool means that you get access to your spells faster than other mages. For example, with an SP flow of 5 it would take you 3 turns to cast our 15 SP fireball, but if your flow were 15, it would only take you a single turn. Mages with high SPF seek to outpace their opponents.

SPC stands for SP control. This trait helps you decide where you want your SP allocated. You see, without any control, your SPF will try to allocate the entire amount across your spell circles completely randomly. Even if you are not ready to use a spell, your flow might put enough SP into a spell circle to make it reach its limit, forcing you to use it. Mages with high SPC seek to outwit their opponents.

Before we can talk about ward type, we need to understand the concept of wards and why they matter. Wards are a particular type of magical shielding which mages often wear for battle protection. While there are numerous ways to defend yourself from magic, wards are the single most critical form of defense because they make you un-targetable by magic. Without a ward, nothing is stopping a mage from creating a fireball inside of your stomach, exploding you from the inside. Fights are won be ramming enough magic into a ward to cause it to shatter, thus allowing the magic to hit the mage hiding inside. Ward types range from no ward to heavy ward.

However, wards do not protect mages from physical attacks, which is why they carry a magical weapon to offer an alternative win condition. Even if a mage is not physically gifted, they often carry one just to receive the weapon's special effect. These advantages provided are often slight, certainly not able to decide a fight alone, but every little bit helps when it comes to magical combat.

Finally, all mages have a spell library unique to them. While they are able to learn any number of spells to add to their library, mages can have only 5 Skill Slots in their active library. Mages can manage their active library using a device known as a Spirit Forge. These devices require very specific environments to function and can only be used once a day, so you need to make sure you go into combat with the correct spells since you won't be able to change mid-combat.

But, now we need to know about the spells which fill up your library. Spells have three essential characteristics: limit, category, and effect. Limit describes the amount of SP required to cast the spell. Categories are broken up into offense, defense, utility, and special. Offense spells are for attacking. Defense spells cannot inflict damage but are efficient in blocking offense spells. Utility spells will not make you any safer from offense spells nor will they harm your opponent directly, but they give your character special effects to give them some sort of advantage or infect your opponent's spell circles with undesirable effects. Special spells are spells that change the rules of the game or otherwise do not belong in the other categories. An example of a special spell would be a spell that adds a spell to an ally's active library. Effect just gives a short description of what the spell actually does on completion. Put it all together, and spells are notated, [Name(Limit, Catagory): Effect]. While most spells only require a single skill slot to use, some may require multiple slots.

If you take all the above information, you can finally create your character's combat sheet. I will introduce you to Amiko as an example.

Amiko Windflurry
SPP: 100 SPF: 5 SPC: 0
Ward Type: Heavy
Spirit-Forged Scythe: Inflicts 1 SP damage to spell circles on contact.
Active Spell Library:
1. Astral Storm (Offense, 60): Summons forth a devastating, yet controllable, barrage of pure magical energy.
2. Dire Assist (Utility, 5): Teleports user in front of a mage that is currently an attack target.
3. Recall (Special, 5): Ally only. Refund target spell circle.
4. Tuning (Special, 5): Ally only. Replace target spell with another spell from that mage's library.
5. Astral Guard (Defense, 5): Generates a wall of pure magical energy.

So, I've Read Everything, And I Want to be in This RP. What Now?

Well first off, color me impressed that you have conquered this mighty wall of text. You just read 2695 words. I think that deserves a medal of some sort. I promise this is the final stretch, just 646 words to go after this sentence.

To be a part of this RP, the first thing you need to do is express interest. I recommend asking questions, giving me an expectation of when I will receive your PM, and telling me what you enjoy about this RP. The second step is to PM me expressing that you would like help creating a character. I will ignore PMs sent to me by people who have not expressed interest here, so keep that in mind. The PM should include the following information:
  1. Give me a pitch about who you are. I want to know what sorts of RPs you have worked on before. What level of writing you can bring to the table? What do you enjoy about RPing? How often can you post per week? Where are you located? What do you do outside of RPing? I want to get to know you.
  2. Pitch me a character idea. I want to hear your vision for what kind of character you want to run. What makes her an interesting, yet relatable character? How can you imagine them fitting into the story? What are some of the big themes you want to tackle with your character? How do you imagine them approaching a combat situation? Who/what, were the most significant influences/role models that affected how they have developed their current mindset and worldview? I want to see that you have a vision.
With that out of the way, I just want to wrap up with a few closing points.

Ask questions liberally. I am extremely willing to help anyone with any aspect of RPing, both within the context of this RP and every other. If there is anything unclear or you are struggling with something, my job as GM is to assist you. You will not be penalized in any way for asking for my time and attention.

Understand that regardless of how fantastically you pitch your character, the person that I invite on to do Spellheart will be working with me to create the actual character sheet. The world of Spellheart is simply too complicated for me to post enough information for you to know everything you need to make a character on your own.

Understand that I will only be accepting a single person, and I do not have an objective standard. Things like who was first to reply, who is most experienced, and who has the most posting availability might end up having nothing to do with the person I select. Depending on how this goes, I might have to miss some truly excellent characters. Please, have fun when you are creating your character.

Finally, if you want a leg up in the selection process, I would recommend having a character that interacts well with Spellheart's primary themes and primary love interest.
Spellheart is a story about complex reality, about overcoming ignorance both internally and externally, where right and wrong are not clear-cut, and everyone struggles in their own way and for their own reasons. Spellheart, above all else, is a story about understanding and overcoming tough things.

The primary love interest Amiko is an enigma, and I cannot tell you much about her since she is a part of the mystery of Spellheart. But, I can inform you that she is the type of person who is extremely observant. In both battle and politics, she plays the role of a tactician. However, this tactician does not operate on superior logical reasoning but instead uses her ability to understand people's desires to reach her desired outcome. While to some this makes her appear brilliant and benevolent, it can quickly make her seem secretive, distant, or manipulative. If you are not careful, she is the type to carry a burden all by herself.

I look forward to seeing your interest. Thank you for spending the time to read this all the

Last edited:
Hello Luna. I am interested in your rp. I am wondering what will I expect in the rp? Will it be only on Spellheart or will the player travel to other lands? Also, what is your expectations on posting timetables? I am pretty active and can promise at least once a day post, is that to active? I am super interested in your world and the story we can craft together. I am writing up the interest PM and it will be sent to you with in 12 hours.

Best wishes,
Wallace

Hello Luna. I am interested in your rp. I am wondering what will I expect in the rp? Will it be only on Spellheart or will the player travel to other lands? Also, what is your expectations on posting timetables? I am pretty active and can promise at least once a day post, is that to active? I am super interested in your world and the story we can craft together. I am writing up the interest PM and it will be sent to you with in 12 hours.

Best wishes,
Wallace
Thanks for the interest. To answer your questions.

You can expect a lot of characters talking to each other. That makes up a significant amount of the interactions. But, you can expect fight scenes scattered throughout the plot where you'll have to make use of your character's abilities. You can also expect for me to talk with you in the OOC a lot about things like theme, or point out interesting things that I'm noticing. I might tease hints about the greater meaning of what is going on every now and then just to keep you on your toes.

For the first arc, you are going to find yourself inside Spellheart basically the entire time. It is entirely possible your character will get through the entire first arc without even learning about a foreign culture.

For timetables, it really depends. I'd really like several times a week, but I also want for it to get faster when we find ourselves both being not busy at the same time. At once a day, you might actually outpace me on occasion since college is my number one priority.

I've tried to resist, but this is amazing! I know that you said that you'd only keep it up for a while, but is there any chance that I could join?

Hey there, nice to see you again! Just like with Yukurai, this is a very intriguing idea! I really hope I'll be able to do this with you.
Can I ask about the arcs? How many arcs are there, and will they all be as long as the first one? Can you summarise for me what each of the arcs will cover?
I have some romance based questions too. When you say gradually fall in love, how gradually do you mean? Will it go across all of the arcs until it fully develops or will it properly develop Will it start in the first arc or sometime afterwards? How romantically inclined is Amiko? And to what extent will the romance go - that is to say, will it go into sexual content?
How many NPCs do you expect to be in the RP? Will I be controlling any or will it strictly be you?
Is there any way to shut down a spell circle to stop the spell from working? Do wards have a physical appearance - a necklace, brooch, etc. - or are they purely magical?

That's all of the questions that I have for now, but I'll probably think of more later. I love world building and I do a lot of it through questions, and it's the same with character building. I'll start writing up the pitch PM just now and I'll hopefully get it to you soon; no longer than eight or ten hours, I think. Hopefully talk with you soon!

Back