Starters And Worldbuilding

Hmm...

So, as for myself, when I start worldbuilding I feel it helps to describe in increasing zoom. That is start with world, then continent, then country, so on and so forth. This continues until we are speaking on a specific character, usually the one we are attempting to pilot, and have thus introduced the world. That is typically how I would write a starter. How about you? I'm curious if this is how you would do it or if there are other ways to get into it. thoughts?

I like to start with a skeleton, and from there, brainstorm, and add to it, bit by bit. There's no real process, just a series of ideas being put together into cohesive setting. It's natural and stream of conscious, with no real steps. Issues come along though when I want to appeal to others. When I try to codify it, I become stumped with what goes where, and eventually, the idea doesn't appear as good as before, so I push it over, in favor of another idea. Having somebody there to critique and as questions about it goes a long way, and I feel much more progress be made like that than just being alone.

I wrote my first nations, world, then connected universe in the opposite way. I made a character, along with a backstory for them, then a backstory for the nation, then other nations, then the world and a bridge to another world, followed by a timeline back and forwards. I've not tried to expand beyond this one universe yet, but your method does seem, at least at first glance, to be a much more effective way of developing characters for their world.

I'm not sure I have a logical order to the way I go about things, it's whatever captures my attention at any given point. I enjoy getting into detail, the people, the cultures, the architecture, the history of the places. I like to envision the very beginning: how the planet was formed, the progression and regression of its species throughout the ages, what are the flora and fauna, how do they differ from our own earth species, why are they the way they are, and what's the basis for all of it? Of course this can only be applied where it's applicable. An interdimensional space, for example, wouldn't have been formed in the 'traditional' way.

I try to find a theme to begin with, once I feel that I have established a good setting and atmosphere I begin to think about what sort of people are in this world. How have they been shaped by the geography, flora, history, and rules of the universe? Then I try to find a way to connect these characters even if seemingly incompatible at first, this is where I often feel a story beginning to emerge.

There is no real formula to it, as others have said, it's more to do with stitching together interesting ideas and then fleshing them out.

For me any possible world building is kind of chaotic. I often just get a random idea, whether it's on a setting or plot or character, and see where I can expand my story on there and try my best to develop it. Of course it's important to make sure you have the heart and passion to work on the story, if not then oftentimes you will not be very happy with the final product.

This is so interesting. I think I zoom in as well, but I like to go chronologically as well. Sort of... what is the history of this world before we meet my character? How was it created? And so forth...

Back