Story Sharing: What's the bravest thing you've ever done?

[For those who would not like to share their story] What is the bravest thing you've ever done?

• Saved an animal

• Saved a human being

• Involved contacting the police

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Demo

Have you ever accomplished something brave you never thought you could of done?
Post and share your story below!

Reactions: WiZ
Well, this one time I...
I was walking down the street, it was a Saturday morning, and a group of 5 guys roughly my age approached me.

One of the guys, who was part of a racial minority (he was black), started asking me to run my shit (if you can imagine that in a ghetto accent). I instantly knew what was gonna happen, so I tried walking around them. They weren't going to give up, so they kept following me and blocking my path. At this moment, one of them grabbed my backpack and started tugging at it. Someone was standing a little further away and noticed me pushing and yelling at the gangsters to get off, but they were smart and decided not to step in.

I started walking away, but the group followed me and kept tugging at my sleeves and asking for my bag. I managed to hit one of them in the face, at which point the leader of the gang put his hand in his pocket and told me he had a knife.

So, there I was, with five guys infront of me, one of them threatening me with a knife, and I had no idea how to get out of there. If I tried to fight them I would have gotten beat up or stabbed, or worse. So I did what I thought was the smartest thing to do. I kicked the guy with the knife in the stomach and Usain Bolted down the street.

That day, I didn't save another persons life but, I did save something much more important to me. My own ass!

I drove 50 minutes from home to a trail in the mountains during the pitch dark on Valentine's Day. I went to my friends special place to talk to him after he passed away. The darkness unsettles me normally, but I was there all alone to remember him without fear. Maybe it was stupid, but I wanted to be there and I felt fearless after doing so.

This is a very tough question. Honestly? Probably leave home for the first time when I just turned 18. I'd been complicated leading up until then, and even going to work/school was all kind of new to me. I had a lot of anxiety issues, but, I made this impulsive decision to fly across the country to go visit a friend completely on my own after I'd had a really rough few months. Although, it didn't quite work out that well for one reason or another, but it was a serious wake-up call to the real world which really helped shape my current way of thinking.

~M

This will sound kind of lame, but the bravest thing I have ever done is help a woman up off the floor.

I was at the store with my mom, and she sent me to another isle to get something she forgot. As I turned down the isle, I noticed a wet spot on the floor just as an older woman hit it. She went down hard. Three other people saw what happened, but without breaking stride I walked right over to her and helped pull her to her feet. She explained that she had just had spine surgery. The other people in the isle kept on shopping, but I stayed with her until the manager showed up. Then I walked away. While that sounds like I was being rude, I didn't need her to thank me. I didn't need it. Everyone in that isle should have gone over to help her, but it was just me, a skinny 14 year old girl.

I feel it was the bravest thing I have ever done, because I was the only person there who helped that woman, and for me, there was no second guessing it. I just did it because she needed help. I think about that woman often.

I don't mean to be rude, but I can probably one up every single person here...

I think for me... it was moving to Ohio. To give a bit of backdrop, I struggled with a LOT of social anxiety growing up. Like I'd have panic attacks trying to make a phone call to order pizza. I could count on one hand the number of times I left my house in a year, and none of them alone. I started to work through a lot of it in my mid 20's when I finally managed to take the plunge and start college after several failed attempts to make it through the registration process.

Then I went even further and moved to NY where I had other family. But I still wasn't on my own, I was staying with my Aunt and Uncle. They were going to let me stay there for a year to get established as a NY resident so I could finish my schooling up there, as long as I was working. Got a job (two jobs actually) was saving up money and almost ready to move out (8 months earlier than the 12 month agreement).

Uncle didn't want me staying there if I was sending money elsewhere to have my cats taken care of (which I was doing until I could get my own place because he didn't want the cats there). He backed me into a corner on the matter, essentially leaving me the option of 'get rid of the cats, or get out'.

So I got my cats and I split.

Social anxiety be damned. Sentry drove all the way up from Virginia to get me, we swung through NJ on the way back to get my stuff from home, and I stayed a week in Virginia before she got me halfway to Ohio where Knosis picked me up and brought me the rest of the way here. Stayed with a friend of Knosis' while I got a job here and then moved into my own place :)

Now for some people that may not seem very impressive. But for someone with a fear of ANYTHING unknown (even making phone calls) it was one of the most terrifying things I had ever done. And I did it because I wasn't going to abandon my cats. :)

That all said, my anxiety has improved ten fold since I made that little journey :p I still get spikes of it doing new things on my own, but I just figure 'if I could do that, I can do this' and I'm good.

The bravest thing I would say I've ever done is going through the training and working at a prison for over a year and a half.

To some this may not seem like a big thing at all and to others it may it may be, but it was really the events and breaking out of my comfort zone that I feel makes this kinda brave. I had just turned 18, I had been homeless for a bit, and I wasn't going anywhere in life. I needed a real kick in the butt and my mom, who had let me moved back in, told me of some openings at the prison. For me I thought I'd never get the job. I was a guy who stayed home, played video games, and did nothing with his life. However, I checked in and I actually got the job.

Then I found out I had to spend 6 months on the training compound away from home. I had never been away from home that long except when I was homeless, and even then I had never had to be at a specific place at a specific time everyday no questions asked. I did it. 6 months, everyday at 5 am, then learning laws, shooting range, defensive tactics, doing an hour of physical exercise minimum, then running a mile after that. Everyday I did it, freaking out that if I don't pass the evaluation at the end of each week I get fired and have no income and fall back to nothing.

I did it though, I struggled and scraped then somehow came out on top. I graduated the top of the class and got recognized as the first cadet officer in my state to ever come top of their class. I thought the hard part was over I finally made it, but somehow with all of this I forgot reality, I was working in a prison.

Now I would like to describe everything I went through during that period but due to a legally binding contract I cannot but I can give some basic info. I dealt with crooked officers, seeing people killed right in front of me, having an entire cell block wanting me dead to the point I could not work in it or I would be killed, fighting off violent inmates, dealing with drugged out inmates, etc. Now I could quit at any time but that would violate my contract and I would never be able to work for them again. I decided no matter what I would stick it out for the year commitment I needed. I went in everyday fearing for my life and knowing these are dangerous criminals and I may not make it back to my family today. I made it through that year and a half though and was able to part with the job under amicable terms. Now to some people will think if you stuck it out why quit?

Life as a prison guard wasn't for me. It was rewarding but I needed something a lot more safe and didn't cause so much stress and anxiety. So that's what I did. Sorry if this got a little off topic I still have vivid flashbacks from working there and remembering it but not being able to explain makes me ramble. That's my story though.

Speaking out honestly and without shame about mental illness.

My first memories are of contemplating my death, about three years old. I graduated top of my high school class and did very well in college as a psych major.

Once my twins were born though I had to get serious about living. PTSD, major depression, OCD, and anxiety were dirty little secrets I kept hidden. But silence breeds shame. part of my self safety includes being honest about it and sharing my story with complete strangers in hope that it will bring understanding and reach those people who need to know that they are not alone.

Being brave enough to live honestly and openly has led to staggering amounts of self growth.

"You either walk inside your story and own it or you stand outside your story and hustle for your worthiness." Brene Brown.

post-67203-Jeopardy-Ill-take-things-that-r1XK.png
@WiZ

>Toronto

As someone who spent my adolescent years in one of the most dangerous places in America, ok then

It's not like I got shot or anything, I didn't evened robbed. I just thought it would be worth sharing the story. Sorry I offended you with my bravery.

For real, my bravest moment was admitting that I needed help. There was a time in my life that I think should have considered awesome. I was in college and had an awesome girlfriend who was a lot of fun to be around, as well as a group of friends that I never had in high school. I was also close to the fittest I had ever been.

But all that was colored by depression. I felt worthless, and a lot of times, I would curl up under my bed and imagine suffocating to death. I even tried to take my life once via suffocation, since I did not want my family or friends to see the blood. It was the week before Christmas when I finally reached out at school to someone, realizing I would die if I did not find the help I needed.

Two weeks in the hospital later, I had worked through enough that the staff thought I could go back. I wasn't, and ended up dropping out of school. However, now I am happy and can face depression with the support of an awesome wife. I would not have met a lot of people I care anout a lot if I had not admitted I needed the help.

indeed my bravest tale is that of odd circumstance. My friends and I were hanging around the administration building near the back wall when one of them was aggravating my good friend Nathan, where in which he pulled a knife on Nicholas (the aggravator) and told him to stop one last time. Then afterwards Nicholas reported upon Nathan and a police inquiry was held.
The point of my bravery was standing up to the multiple members of staff and the local police department for my dear friend who I feel only got too angry as no harm was delt and I see less danger and care from someone carying such a weapon in self defense then my overreacting companions.

I was 8 years old and alone with my grandmother in her house, only, she had passed away the same morning I woke up and found her. So I put away her respirator and called my father, who then sent an ambulance and my god parents, and sat down in the living room to draw. Brave or weird, I don't know.

Taking seven years of foreign language in four years of schooling. I still don't know if it's brave or stupid- or both- but I hated piano and it was either two years of piano and four years of language or no piano and seven years of language... I took piano 2-7th grade and hated every moment of it, there was no way I was taking piano again.

Gather around kids, it is story time.

September 26-27, 2014

I was driving from Oklahoma City to the Dallas area to visit my girlfriend at the time. We had the weekend off from training (I played college soccer). As I was driving, I came into the Arbuckle mountains and drove up to an accident scene. It had happened moments earlier. A Semi truck crossed the center median and hit a bus carrying a college softball team. No emergency crews were on the scene yet, and I had a bit knowledge on what I was doing. I pulled over and jumped out of my car. When I ran to the bus, we ended up having to help them pull the rest of the girls out. The seriously injured were on the ground right next to the bus. The first thing I did was help a woman who was attempting to give CPR. She said she was trained, but she was completely overwhelmed. I told her what to do, and she began to do it. So I began to go around and make sure everyone was attended and had proper care.

A girl was trapped under the bus, and I joined with a few other people to try and get her out. We lost her vitals before we could even get her out from the bus, so I moved back to the first victim to check on her. As I got back, the woman was taking another vitals check and told me that the pulse was gone and the girl stopped breathing. We went through another round of CPR before the first ambulance finally arrived.

At that point, I had the woman continue to perform CPR while I briefed the paramedics. Essentially, the paramedics couldn't focus on the patients who were already gone, (Not breathing & no pulse) so they focused on the most critical. We didn't know it at the time, but there was 1 girl who wasn't accounted for and she was int he woods behind the bus. Her leg was pretty much ripped off, and being held on by just a tendon or something like that. I only saw her when a paramedic found her and began talking to her. She was conscious but in shock. She died shortly after.

As more and more crews arrived, the direst were moved out as quickly as possible. Another girl had a shattered pelvis, but she was conscious and awake. Another woman and I stayed with her. She wanted to talk to her parents, so I called her parents and let her talk to her dad on my phone. She said goodbye, and that she loved them. She thought she was going to die. We got her stabilized, and they life flighted her out and to a hospital. She was rushed into emergency surgery, and she survived.

When it was all said and done, 4 of the girls died. Only 1 of the 3 I was attending lived. This situation gave me some pretty nasty PTSD. This is why I refuse to take part in horror, gore, and dark RPs or be a part of things of this nature. I have literally seen it real life, and I want no part of it.

The driver of the truck was on drugs and impaired. He was charged and is awaiting court, I think. This is why you won't see me speak about drugs, really. I am vehemently against any recreational drug use and can get "triggered" pretty easily. I stay out of it for that reason.

This still bothers me to this day, and though I am largely alright now, I will always remember it. When I go the accident site, I can still smell the same odors. The engine fluids from the bus, the blood, and burnt rubber. I can feel the blood on my body. I can hear the music on the bus at the time still playing, the screams and cries of the girls. Nothing in the world will wake you the fuck up like seeing someone your own age dying under your hands.

Don't worry, it does not bother me to talk about it anymore.

Back