Yun Lee

The Sculptor
Administrator
The Convergence Series GM
Staff Member on Hiatus
(Written by @Alex Azure .)

Chapter α

trialanderror-png.122310

It's early in the morning. Today marks the anniversary of one of the most important events of Mason's life, his birth, and he's up before the sun is, energized via pure excitement. It's his eighteenth birthday, to be precise, which should be a jovial day, yet somber clouds and pouring rain prove otherwise.

Cries of anguish can be heard from the floorboards as Mason's mother carefully, but urgently, makes her way to Mason's room. She twists the doorknob and opens the door, careful not to make any squeaks or creaks, and spies Mason sitting on his bed, looking out at the rainstorm. "Oh, you're awake," she says to her son,"Happy Birthday. We can celebrate later. Right now, we're going on a little trip. Pack everything you need into a backpack. We're headed to the homeland. Your brother and lover are already downstairs."

Several questions run through Mason's mind; he knows better than to ask him because he can hear the worry and edge of a command in his mother's voice. He hurries quickly, going through a mental checklist in his mind. A change of clothes, check. Some snacks, check. Wallet, check. Cell phone, laptop, and chargers, check. A knife in case things get dangerous, check. Satisfied with his packing list, he zips it sealed, tight as a bank vault. However, there's one more thing he must grab. From what his mother said, he assumes that they were going on an adventure. As such, he grabs his green cloak from its hook inside his closet. Of course it's childish, however, it's something that's done Mason well over the years. He's added pockets to make the cloak useful for carrying things and even made the outside layer water resistant. It's a pet project that he had sewn himself, but it is a valuable one.

Mason descends the ancient oak steps leading from the hallway with the bedrooms into the lounge. Each step, squeezing out another groan from the stairs, gives Mason another chance to ponder and gain excitement from this adventure. He is on edge, though his loved ones are on edge for different reason. He scans their faces, looking for a sign of what the situation is. On his mother's face sits fear. On the face of his brother, Leon, rests worry. On the face of his beloved partner Carol, however, a bright light of hope and love burns. It brings a smile to Mason's face.

"Good, you're ready. Let's get going," says Leon's and Mason's mother, turning to face an empty wall. The air, crackling with electricity, draws a breath around her. She presents herself commandingly while crossing her arms. As if she gave an order, a bright, electric blue energy gathers around her and glows softly and obediently. She holds command of the fire of life itself. She sweeps her arms out in front of her and the energy follows. It spreads out in front of her, forming a thin sheet as an elegant, spiraling blue ellipse. A soft thud breaks through the air as the portal opens, and a vision of what lies on the other side appears. It's a view of an ancient building that Leon recognized.

"The temple..." Leon says, his voice trailing off in disbelief, "You're taking him there?"

His mother commands, "Shut up and go. I can't hold this open forever."

The three young adults make their way through the portal with the mother following behind soon after. As she leaves the portal, a wall of air pushes through and nearly knocks the group off their feet.

Rain beats against the ancient, weathered stone as the group makes their way inside. In the entryway, the scents of the humid downpour and the dusty temple mix into an unsettling odor. The odor assaults Mason's nose and digs into his soul. His enthusiasm quickly fades. "Mama, what's brought us here?" Mason asks.

His mother pauses and looks around the temple, making sure that they are alone, before responding, "Mason, sweetie, you're eighteen now. Your father says that it's time for you to learn to unlock your aura. I can't disagree. The other aura families... They want to destroy us. Mason, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to learn to use your aura to fight. That's why you're here; you're going through the trials."

Leon's rebelliousness ignites and he stands up to his mother, barking at her, "Mother, this isn't right! These aren't the Moretti family's trials! What the hell are you doing?!"

Leon's outburst in turn makes his mother's soul howl. "Leon Moretti, you will not talk back to your mother! I know that this isn't the same trial you went through, but we don't have the time! We're doing this my family's way. I trust Mason will get through this, and I'm sure he'll do it quickly and right. The Noir family... They could attack at any moment. We need to be prepared. Speaking of which..." Their mother reaches into a suitcase that she had brought along and retrieves four wrapped presents. "Happy birthday, Mason. These will be useful in the future. I love you. Are willing to take this challenge? I know you've always wanted to face the trial and unlock your potential."

The temple falls silent, save the blanket of noise created by the passing rain. The rain grows heavier as the decision lays heavy on his heart. Yet, only to Mason, another voice calls out from within the temple's depths, begging him to descend. It sounds pained and desperate. The call solidifies Mason's decisions. Rather than answer with words, Mason slides his backpack off his back. He doesn't even take the presents from his mother. He steps towards a large stone door that blocks the path into the catacombs. Slowly, straining each muscle in his arm, Mason gently places his hand on the door. The contact springs the door to life, ablaze with the same blue energy used by his mother; it slides away, revealing a lengthy flight of downward steps that lead into the depths of catacombs below. Before descending, Mason turns towards his loved ones and smiles, saying, "I love you all. I promise to see you all soon. Especially, you Carol."

Mason rushes towards Carol and pecks her lips, calling a crimson to her cheeks, before descending the stone steps into the calling darkness.

Beneath the earth, the catacomb, twisting and turning through the depths, are filled to the brim with an inky darkness. Before Mason has time to turn back and retrieve a flashlight, the stone door closes behind him, trapping him within the eternal night. With a sigh, Mason places his hand on a wall and begins walking whilst following the voice calling out to his heart.

Unfortunately, the relationship between him and the wall is broken and Mason finds himself stumbling within an inky void. His hands grasp for the wall and find no solace until they reach the floor. With a short cry of pain, the lights arise and Mason can see his location.

Mason finds himself at the center of an underground arena that is lit with lanterns whose flames dance erratically, blazing with different colors around the ring. Beneath him is ornate, delicate brickwork, laid with care and an artful eye, with colors of stone spiraling out from the center towards their respective color's flame. At the arena's edge are two creatures, circling Mason, ready for blood. On one end is a frenzied wolf, brimming with a bright blue aura, ready to strike. On the other end, a prowling bobcat, hunting for its prey, brimming with a royal violet aura. The two beasts' gazes pierce straight through Mason, aimed at each other.

The gaze of the beasts strikes fear in Mason's heart; he sits paralyzed as the two hunters charge towards him at once. The roars of the two hunters mix into one cacophony as the sonnet of claws and bites reaches the center of the arena. "This is it," Mason says, "I'm going to die in this trial." The hunters clash above him and he embraces his fate. The connecting blows spark a flash of light.

Yet, Mason remains completely unscathed. As the bright light fades, the two beasts are returned to their starting position and resume their harmonic dance. Mason's breath weighs over a metric ton as he tries to process the situation before the two beasts once again begin their charge and pounce above him, sparking another bright light. The blinding light once again thrusts Mason back into the beginning of the loop, and the predators circle around the arena once more. It takes until the fourth repetition of the loop that the current events finally dawn on Mason. At that moment, Mason's attitude turns from fear into delight and satisfaction. This is a puzzle that he has all the time in the world to solve.

It takes sixty-four attempts in total. Some are spent trying to simply dodge out of the way. Others are spent trying to combat the predators and keep them from meeting. The sixty-fourth attempt is the successful one: Mason stands between the two beasts and, in a fit of desperation, yells, "Just stop fighting, you two!" At his command, the two beasts sit obediently. The creatures of aura obeyed his command the same as they would by his mother's beck and call. With the attempt successful, Mason breaths a sigh of relief.

He orders the two beasts, "Lead me to the end of this trial. Without fighting." Following his stern voice, the wolf and bobcat reach a section of wall and place their paws on the flat stone. The stone reacts in the same way that the trial's entrance hand and slides away. What is revealed is greater than Mason could imagine.

A mountain of treasures, golden, silver bronze, and more, are piled up along the walls of the clandestine room. Along with the insignificant pile of priceless artifacts sit two pedestals. One pedestal holds a golden necklace and an attached locket shaped like a heart, with a design of a keyhole running through the center of the locket. Below the necklace, a plaque reads, surprisingly in English, "The World's Heart". Opposite the necklace there sits a bracelet with a thick chain and a single charm in the shape of a golden key. The description of the bracelet reads, "The Traveller's Mind". However, one more presence waits within the room. It's a presence Mason can feel resonating within his heart, though his eyes show him no evidence. The presence speaks and Mason recognizes it as the voice that had called out in anguish earlier. It says, "Welcome, Mason. You did well to make it through the trial. All that awaits you now is a choice. To follow your heart, or to..."

Mason interjects, disrupting the presence by saying, "That was too easy."

"Excuse me," the presence replies.

"It was too easy. I thought I was going to die and the answer was just yelling at them?! I didn't learn anything! I didn't grow! I wasn't challenge!"

"Mason! Just choose a path! Mind or Heart! Stupid necklace or stupid bracelet! I don't care, just make a choice!"

"What even are you?"

The invisible maiden brings itself into a near physical form through a collection of aura forming between two pedestals into something that resembled the body of an eighteen-year-old girl. "I'm the Oracle," she responds, "And I'm a ghost who has been here for who-knows-how-long and all I really care about right now is unlocking you power before..."

The Oracle's message is cut short once again, this time by sharp, loud bang. A gunshot. Her message continues after a wide chasm, filled with despair, breaks the conversation following the gunshot, and she says, "...that happens."

Another gap in conversation is formed through Mason's utter shock at the sound of gunshots so close. The Oracle attempts to comfort him, saying, "Mason, I'm sorry! I had a vision, and I wanted to get you through fast enough, but... I... couldn't."

Bitter tears break through Mason's shock and force his body into action. He reaches out and grabs the closes relic: The World's Heart. He places it around his neck and bolts out of the treasure room. The catacombs become lit once again because of the influence of the Oracle's aura, as Mason travels along back towards the entrance. The stone door is already politely sliding open as Mason reaches the top set of steps. He breaks back into the temple's entryway, greeted once more by the pounding midnight rain.

That isn't the only thing to greet Mason. A foul odor, a pool of crimson, and an aura of darkness all assault Mason at once as he views the sight that lays before him. A few feet in front of him lay Carol, emotionless and still, covered in a crimson red paint. Throughout the room is the smell of gunpowder, a strong one, accompanied by several bullet holes. However, the most gruesome effect is a message, left clearly for him in a still-wet cherry ink: MORETTI BEAST LEAVE

His breath and heart quicken and his once-strong form collapses to its knees. Several emotions toss and turn in his stomach until they rise up and form words in his hearts. A straining note escapes from his lips as he cries out, "No! No! This can't be happening! This is another test! Another illusion! Carol, c'mon, get up! This isn't funny! This isn't..."

His lies can only stand for so long before toppling like house of playing cards. Along with the toppling tower comes a fresh stream of flowing tears. "I wanna get out of here," he says, the reality crushing him, "I can't deal with this! Please, someone, anyone, take me out of this misery!"

And with that, his vision goes dark.

When his consciousness next returns, Mason is lying on his back, staring at the sky. The sky stares back with eyes that shift between dazzling reds and stellar yellows before fading into a familiar blue sky. Yet, somehow, it feels unnatural. Out-of-place.

There was no temple, no death, no trials. Only a wide open plain and a fading sunrise meet Mason's eyes. Despite the differences, he feels somewhat more at peace.

He reaches around his neck and feels the embrace of the World's Heart. As he does, a familiar voice calls to him.

"Your trial continues, Mason," says the Oracle, appearing in a flash of aura in front of him, "and that is why it was so easy. The real trial is going to be moving on. I'll be here for you though. I couldn't help you save them then, but..."

"Just leave me alone," Mason interrupts, "I want to watch the sunrise. Or... at least what's left of it. After all, it's my birthday... I deserve at least that."

Both Mason and the Oracle sit quietly, watching the very end of the sunrise. As he watches, Mason counts each of the different colors and shades he can find within the sunrise. It brings him little joy.​

Chapter β

5109dcfc9e424d1cb1e56f50a97374cb.png

Mason, remaining completely silent, watches as the glowing orb in the sky makes its way from the line on the horizon towards the center of the heavens, directly above the grassy field in which he rests. Lying on his back, he reaches up towards the sky and says with his voice full of melancholy, "Weird. The sun says half a day has passed, but if that's true I should be starving by now. My stomach isn't giving a single grumble."

A wisp of energy, colored black but still shining with light, sprouts from the heart-shaped pendant that hangs around his neck. The pendant, the World's Heart, is covered in a similar dark glow; this is not due to the presence of the wisp but due to the shadows overtaking his heart. The wisp of energy twists and turns, forming itself into the shape of a small pixie or sprite known as Oracle.

She, in response to Mason's comment, says, "The sun isn't always a solid representation of how much time has gone by, especially in this particular world. Time is constantly fluctuating here to accommodate visitors."

"Why are you still here, Orca-whatever? What made you come along with me?" Mason asks with a drop of venom in his voice.

With a cool surface and turbulent interior, Oracle recites a practiced chunk of exposition as a child recites multiplication tables, "I am the Oracle, guardian spirit of the World's Heart! I am tied to the necklace and its bearer to lead them on their journey! If you had chosen 'insert name of alternate artifact', then you would have a different set of abilities and wouldn't need my help. However, since you chose to follow the path of your heart, I am here to help you unlock your powers and guide you through the multiverse! Using my abilities, you can request knowledge about the current universe, advice on interacting with certain objects, and tactical assistance using my ability to see multiple paths that the future may take! I am happy to help!"

In the middle of her spiel, Mason picks up one of the delicately wrapped rectangles that his mother had given him before entering the temple. He violently hurls the present towards Oracle in an attempt to cease her talking, but the book passes through her form smoother than sand through a sieve.

At the end of her speech, Mason cries out, "Alright, you're my exposition fairy! How about you stop talking until I press C-Up or tap the Orca button or something!"

"I don't have any clue what that means, but my name is Oracle. ORAH. CULL." Oracle's patience is wearing thin and she drops the cheery helpful attitude. "You can at least remember my name."

"Names are hard. I don't really care for you. I didn't ASK for you! I didn't ask for a journey across the multiverse! I just..."

The ticking clockwork that runs the beat of Mason's heart screeches to a halt. No ticks, no tocks, and no cuckoos of the clocks inside him are going. For a moment, the ticking goes dead silent, then it goes in complete reverse. The gears and bolts are pulled in the opposite direction. Clockwise becomes counterclockwise in his heart, pulled by the pendulum that hangs around his neck. The pendulum grows brightly and the face of the clock shows a bright smile.

"A journey across the multiverse," Mason repeats.

"Oh, yes! You see, there are various universes, entire worlds beyond your..."

"I know what a multiverse is, Ora Cull. That's the thing... I get to explore the multiverse! I can run away and find new adventures in places I've never seen before! I can explore! I can fight! It'll be so much fun!"

Oracle looks at Mason with confusion and worry. She asks, "Are you feeling alright, Mason? Just a second ago, you were worried about your whole... You know... Dead girlfriend and all that? Along with potentially missing or dead family members?"

Mason pauses for only half a second before answering, "Mmm, I guess I forgot about that. Oh well. Who has time to think with such a great adventure on the horizon?! I'm ready to forget all my pains and get going!"

"Mason, that's not really healthy! You need to actually face your problems, not suppress them! Please, just calm down! Let's take things easy and learn about your powers first?"

"Oh? You mean like a tutorial level? First world? Alright, fine. But it better be quick."

"I still don't know what any of that MEANS, Moretti."

"Don't worry, you will by staying by me long enough."

With a child-like enthusiasm, Mason gathers together his backpack and his presents. He shreds through wrapping paper in a miniature blizzard and reveals four almost identical books. Unfortunately, these gifts came with flaw. "They're in some strange language," Mason complains, "I can't read this crap!"

With a sigh, Oracle explains, "It's Latin. A language that your family should have taught you. They're not all in Latin though! One's in English." As she says that, Mason picks up and examines the fourth tome. Its title reads, "The Moretti Guide to Aura and the Unseen, Volume IV".

After studying the cover for about fifteen seconds, Mason promptly chucks the four books into his backpack. "It looks boring. I don't need to read it. Who reads the manuals anymore? I probably can get the basics like a natural," he says to justify his actions.

However, the jostling of his bag from his haphazard stuffing of the books causes a piece of paper that had been stuffed halfway into one of the pockets to slip out. Curiously, Mason opens up and reads the letter aloud. It says...

"To The Best, Cutest Little Brother In The World, Mason,

While waiting for your Trial to end, things didn't turn out so well. The bad guys showed up and they're not the respawning type. So that means we need to 'clean up' this mess. If you come back and we're not here, wait ten minutes. If we're not back, then it's time to run.

Mama says that your powers should take you to safety. That probably means you're going to experience your first shift between worlds. It may seem like it's going to be hard to get back to your family when we're literally worlds apart, but trust me when I say that Moretti's have a knack for finding each other.

A couple rules I've learned from a couple adventures of my own: 1) Don't use your real name. 2) Don't let others know that you're from another universe or that other universes even exist if they don't already know. 3) Try not to fall in love until you're ready to settle in that universe.

Speaking of love, I'm sorry about Carol. If she was already cleaned up when you get this note, then I want you to know that she loved you to the end and we're making sure she passes on peacefully. Try and stay strong, but remember that it's okay to cry.

One last thing: If your powers develop into what I think they are, I left you some help on the back of this note.
Stay Safe,
Your Worried, Loving Older Brother Leon."
"P.S. Don't start shit you can't finish."
On the reverse side of the paper is a series of odd-looking scribbles and sketches. Beneath each sketch is a description, such as "Sword", "Scythe" or "Gun". However, the drawings are unintelligible chicken scratch and look nothing like what their labels define.

"What's this supposed to be? Second grade art projects? That mess barely even looks like a sword!"

At the moment he says the word sword, his necklace glows with a bright purple aura. The aura spreads through him, through his veins, and exits out as his right hand to form a long beam of light. Energy like a glowing mist twists and turns around the beam of light, forging and molding it. The energy tightens into s sins solid mass which appears transparent and glowing, yet holds the weight of the real object: a simple knight's sword.

While Mason watches in awe, Oracle wastes no time to jump into her rehearsed monologues. "Mason Moretti, 'insert hero's name here', welcome to one of your new powers granted. Y the World's Heart: Aura Construction! As an aura builder, you have the ability to create items out of your aura and solidify them! This includes, but is not limited to: weapons, keys, portals, crowbars, [censored], fire, water, Earth, air, armor, fancy hats, the Sun, letters of the alphabet, and me!"

"So I can go anywhere in the universe, or multiverse, I want and I can create anything I need? This is awesome!"

"Well, Mason, you do have your limits..."

"Screw the limits! I have all I need right here!" He gives the sword a couple swings before it fizzles out of existence. The aura that forms it returns to Mason's heart. "Okay, that might be a problem."

"It's one that will get better as you learn and grow. Eventually you might..." Oracle was about to mention how Mason might learn to use his powers without the World's Heart, but his impatience strikes again.

"Skip! I get it! I gain experience and get stronger. I've played video games before. So, what's this tutorial world called?"

Oracle looks at Mason skeptically, saying, "Are you going to interrupt me if I tell you about this world?"

"I won't. I promise."

"Well... This is Embassy Crossing. It's a bubble universe. It's small in terms of the multiverse, and acts as a small hub world. It's a crossroads on the way between a small selection of about 300 different universes. It can't watch the entire multiverse, but it holds portals to several universes and televisions on which to observe those 300 nearby worlds. All this is in the Embassy, which lies over there," Oracle says, pointing northward towards a large skyscraper-like building that sits behind a hill in the distance.

"So... There's nothing here?"

"Well, there are couple of nice ladies who run the Embassy, and there may be visitors today."

"I'd rather get to exploring a different universe." With those words, the World's Heart shines brighter. Its eagerness to travel matches Mason's, (or maybe things work vice verse,) and it sends the glow of aura down Mason's arms.

Smiling, he says, "Alright! Time to head to a new universe! I think I remember how Mom did this..." He sweeps his arms in a forward ark and a purple ellipse appears before him. Forgetting his backpack at Embassy Crossing, he eagerly leaps through the portal without knowing or checking to see what's on the other side.

The sun is slowly slinking its way behind a sparkling saltwater horizon. As the sky melts into hues of purples and blues it calls some of the city's denizens to bed and others to rise, their day just begun. Gentle waves lap against the shore, continuing its endless dance with the sand that builds the beaches. Couples, drawing close romantically, either sit on or walk along the golden beaches as the sun sets their mood. Few straggling bikes and cars send their owners towards home or work at a slow, relaxed pace. The buildings, the beaches, the ocean and the people breath a collective sigh of relief with another workday done safely and soundly. No threat or danger reaches the innocent lambs that peacefully graze through their idle lives.

Yet danger is still omnipresent. If not for brave men and women in blue, chaos would o'ertake the city. In places, it already has. Poverty and crime drives people into despair, turning the hard work of builders and workers into a crop field filled with seeds of darkness. Robbery, arson, and worst of all, murder take place right underneath the noses of the content sheep in their happy little pens. On the outer shell, the city appears bright and cheerful with sun, surf, fame and fortune. The inner layers reveal the darkness in human hearts that hides in abandon buildings, hidden bunkers, and darkened alleys.

Within these seedy back-alleys, a pulse of aura delivers an eighteen-year-old with eyes wide open and ready for adventure. The poorer district of this city brings not shadows to his heart but a bright shining light which causes him to stand out against the backdrop.

He steps out onto the rough quilt of patchwork cement that travels down alongside the road. Looking around at the destitute surrounding area brings not a sense of despair, but an enthusiastic smile. "This place looks a bit dangerous, wouldn't you say, Ora? Looks like we could have some fun. Some mysterious new city, wracked by crime and poverty... Did I use 'wracked' right? Anyway, if you're here for information, Ora, what's the name of this mysterious city?"

"Searching... Los Angeles."

Mason's cheery mood falters for a moment. "Los Angeles... California? Are you telling me I travelled the looking for adventure and I ended up back home?"

"My apologies. You're in Los Angeles, California, United States, Earth, Solaris System, Milky Way, Universe Number Three-Zero-A-Dash-Alpha. In other words, not your Los Angeles."

"It's still a bit of a ripoff."

"Mason, not every universe is going to have a completely unique construction."

"I don't care. I want to get a new universe." Mason attempts to channel his aura and form a new portal to escape through, but all that comes from the effort is a small spark and gentle whoosh of the wind.

Oracle's voice chimes with her "multiplication table recitation" attitude once more, saying, "Your ability to use your aura powers is limited with World's Heart is limited by your available excess aura. Creating portals between worlds is awfully difficult, so be careful! It can take a lot of energy, so you may not be able to use your powers immediately after a shift between universes."

"That is absolute bullshit!"

"Moretti, watch your language!" Oracle snaps while giving Mason a sharp glare.

"I'm sorry, Miss Strict. It's just kind of annoying. I guess I'll have to wait on getting into trouble until my powers are back."

As if on cue, trouble arrived. Flashing red and blue lights peek out around a corner and approach Mason slowly. The lights stop, revealing a police car with two officers stepping out of the vehicle. The driver turns to his partner and says, "Yup. This one looks like the suspect."

Mason's heart races to deliver adrenaline through his veins and within seconds he's flying down the street in attempt to flee the officers. Unfortunately, he's not faster than the professionals trained to catch fleeing criminals. He doesn't go two blocks before a sudden sharp pain reaches his back followed by an electric shock. The world goes dark around Mason.

He next returns to consciousness inside a concrete room. Dim lighting is provided by a set of flickering bulbs that cry for replacement and relief before their lifetime ends. They cast their light upon a cold metal table that stands welded to the floor. A chair sits on ether side of the table. One is occupied by Mason's slowly waking form. The other is filled by a tall, imposing figure wearing broad shoulders, five o'clock shadow and a trench coat. His arms lay freely on the table while Mason's are restrained by handcuffs whose chains are attached to a metal ring screwed into the tabletop. Across the room is a mirror, most likely a one-way mirror, and a door that leads out of the room. As he wakes up, Mason tugs against the handcuffs as he asks, "What's going on here? Where am I?"

The figure across the table says with a gruff and powerful voice, "You're at the precinct, pal. You've caused us a lot of trouble, but now we got ya."

"Precinct? You're trying to put me in jail? But I didn't do anything! I literally just got here!"

"A likely story, pal, but you match the suspect description perfectly! There ain't no way that you're not the ringleader!"

A knock ratrles against the door, prompting the gruff man to go and answer it. As he opens the door, an officer greets him and says, with great volume and velocity in his words, "Detective! We've been ordered to let this one go! We found the real suspect, and he's willing to admit everything. It's weird, but these two look exactly the same! We found the real one, though, so the guy you have in here can't possibly be the real Moretti!"

The word "Moretti" sends chills down Mason's spine. His eyes grow wide and he starts to shiver. His shaking continues as the detective removed his handcuffs and leads him out of the precinct.

As he continues down the sidewalk, heading towards the beach as the sun is rising in the distance, the World's Heart hangs, dark and auraless, around his neck. Barely a shine sparks from the pendant as Oracle appears beside the once again somber Mason Moretti. "Are you okay?" Oracle asks.

"Moretti... They couldn't have been talking about ME, right?"

"Mason, you're not the only version of you out there. Throughout the multiverse, there are people whose hearts sing similar songs and strike the same chords. Even if they don't bear the name 'Mason Moretti', they're still other versions of you. But you're still your own people. The actions of this world's criminals don't define who you are."

After a moment of silence, Mason stops suddenly. "I want to speak with him," he says.

"With this world's Mason? I don't think that's a good idea."

"I don't care. They said he's a criminal, but I don't believe it! If he's me, then he can't possibly be evil!"

"Then... Follow me to the detention center. I'll guide us there and you can have a talk with him. Do you remember Leon's rules?"

"All four of them are up here in my head. I'm not going to let my heart cloud my thoughts and hide them. I'll be careful."

Mason and Oracle make their way towards the Detention Center. Morning arrives as they do and Mason is able to request a meeting with his counterpart.

A clear glass wall is the only thing that separates the doppelgängers. On one side is a the eighteen-year-and-one-day old traveller of the multiverse with his bright orange locks filled with black streaks, his green hooded cloak and his golden heart-shaped necklace. On the other side is a man in his early twenties robed in a lavender suit with a matching silk top hat and bow tie. The two sit in silence at first, until the man in purple breaks the ice.

"I can see why they could confuse the two of us. Why, you look like you could be my brother! I'm really, truly sorry for all the trouble I've caused you."

"No, please," the bearer of the World's Heart replies nervously, "I was looking for trouble anyway. Seems I found it. Thanks for turning yourself in so I could go free though."

"Oh, I wouldn't say I turned myself in. I came in to answer some questions and they decided to keep me here. I'm sure I won't be in here for long. After all, I am innocent. I just need to do all I can to prove it."

The green-cloaked Mason perks up at the news of his counterpart's innocence. "You are innocent? Then why are you staying here in jail?"

"So Justice can run its course. Although I haven't done anything criminal myself, I do know who has."

"What do they suspect you of, anyway?"

"Leading a local criminal organization."

"Oh... Ouch. But... You don't exactly look like a crime boss."

"That's because I'm not one. I'm a gentleman. At least that's what it says on my business cards. Mason Moretti, Professional Gentleman. That's just a tag line though. I'm an actor by trade."

"Mason Moretti... I like that name. I think you bring a lot of honor to it."

"Might I have yours?"

"My what?"

"Your name. Might I know your name? Even though I've gotten you wrapped up in a bit of trouble, I'd like to make a friend out of you."

"Oh. Well, I'm a bit of a traveller, so you probably won't see a lot of me. But... Travis. Travis Euller. It's nice to meet you, Mason."

"Likewise, Mister Euller. Whenever I'm let out of here, I hope we can meet again."

"Please, call me Trav. Anyway, I really should get going. I have some things to take care of... I wish you luck in finding justice."

"I don't think I need much luck. Even if they try to take me to court, I have a pretty good lawyer to be on my side. Take care, Trav."

As Mason exits the detention center, he's greeted by bright sunlight, the honking of cars and the smell of the ocean, as well as the voice of his Oracle guide. "Travis Euller? Really?"

"I panicked! I'm sorry," Mason explains.

"You're fine for this world because there are people with last names like 'Butz' and 'Gumshoe', but try to think of a new alias bext time."

"I still like the name Trav."

"Then keep it."

"Do I have enough aura regained to travel between worlds again?"

"Just enough. I'd just like to remind you that you left your backpack in Embassy Crossing."

"Alright, alright. I'll return to the Tutorial Level. Before we go, though, I have one more question for you."

"Answering those is my primary function."

"This relic makes me follow my heart in whatever I do, correct? Is my heart always the right thing to follow?"

Oracle takes a deep breath and responds calmly and sweetly, saying, "That's for you to learn as you go on your journey. Sometimes it may be better to take off the World's Heart and think things through. Others, your emotions will give you the strength to persevere. It's not my job to decide which is which."

Mason nods and smiles, his necklace springing to life once again. "Alright. Let's go back to the tutorial level and get something to eat. I'm starving!"​

Chapter γ

It's amazing what travel can do to a person. They can meet new people and see new faces, discover new cultures and create new bonds of friendship. However, an exception lies in when those bonds don't last. When painting with all the colors of the rainbow, a dose of impatience will blur the colors together into one gray mass, dulling their vibrancy. Memories become streaks and blurs of color, faded photographs, and eventually forgotten.

No seed can grow without first planting its roots.

The past two years for Mason have been filled with constant action. Adventures followed adventures, followed by acts of heroism and heartfelt goodbyes. However, the goodbyes never left too big of a scar on Mason’s heart. Yes, Mason Moretti was strong and constantly moving forward.

There was no reason at all to think about the past. Don't think about Leon. Especially don't think about Caroline.

Two years to the day, at least from his perspective, Mason finds himself returning to Embassy Crossing, a familiar crossroads and somewhat of a home to him across the multiverse.

Dusting off his cloak and looking up at the titular embassy, he speaks to his Oracle partner, “Why did you bring us back here? You know I was geared for another adventure. Why did you hijack the world jump?”

Beside him, a small glowing ball of energy forms, twisting its shape into that of a fairy. The fairy, Oracle, replies, “Well, you see, Trav, that's the thing. I wouldn't really suggest going on another adventure.”

“What's wrong? Do you not think I can handle another adventure?”

“Well, it's not that exactly… you see…”

“Ora, am I strong?”

“Yes, but you don't need to always be adventuring! Maybe you can sit down and rest for a bit!”

“Rest where? There's nothing in this entire bubble universe other than empty fields and that big building! I don't even know what's inside that place.”

At that moment, the doors to the embassy building swing open. From within exits a tall woman with modest curvature and extravagant dress. Her eyes burn a cool, emerald green and she has hair, whether natural or dyed, that matches the eyes in shade and brilliance. Her clothes flow as a river of green’s palette, starting with a dark, forest green and bottoming out at a veil of thin lime fabric. Golden ringlets sit around her waist, her wrists, and the crown of her head. She appears modest and playful in her facial expression, yet her body is held with condescension and an aura of power.

Her voice speaks as if each word had to click into place as she said it, “Mason Moretti, the Traveler. Welcome. I've been watching your little games. They've been entertaining. So, are you done warming up? Are you ready for a real assignment?”

From the moment this woman speaks, Oracle disappears. With no objections from his partner, Mason feels obligated to accept the offer. “The one of many Masons, the one and only Traveler. I would be happy to get to work.”

Mason follows the woman inside. The place is a brightly lit, very well furnished palace of comfort. As she leads Mason through a small tour up the floors and around the building, she shows him many enticing attractions, (game rooms, pool rooms, dining halls, guest rooms, and more,) all of which are completely empty and unused. However, none of these lotuses are enough to get Mason to bite.

He asks, “Is there some kind of portal room?”

“Why indeed, there is. I suppose you don't wish to waste any time. I’ll take you there right now.”

The woman led Mason to a room which held a large arch. To the side of the arch was a complex mess of touch screens, keyboards, and exposed wires. “Don't worry about all the old tech,” the woman said, “we barely use it anyways. It's much more efficient to simply open a portal ourselves anyway.” With a snap of the woman’s fingers, the arch began lighting up and glowing with an energy that Mason could sense as aura, similar to his own.

“So, what's my goal?” Mason asks the woman, whom he still hasn't requested the name of.

“The same as any other world. Stop evil. Save the day. Try to make a couple friends along the way who can help you on your travels. Any other questions? The portal is ready.”

“No, ma'am,” he says, shifting his stance so that he is ready to run through the portal.

As Mason bolts through the portal, the woman adds one tiny, inconsequential detail. “By the way, Traveler, this world doesn't allow you to use aura! I hope you're ready!”

The woman acted as if limiting Mason's power and his possibility of death is nothing but a small trifling matter. Unfortunately, Mason is about as ready to face this world as a live chicken is ready to face the deep fryer.

Mason stumbles through the portal and into the other world. Deciding to avoid introducing his face to the pavement, he catches himself before he falls and looks up at the sky.

A burning orange sun peeks through beneath a thick layer of clouds and smog. An industrial, yet postmodern, skyline traces against the smog and is silhouetted by constant strikes of lighting in the distance. Surrounding Mason are old, crumbling buildings which look unable to bear even the weight of a snail. Sidewalks are littered with webs of cracks, broken people and just plain litter. The atmosphere holds a weight. The weight isn't on one's soul, but their lungs.

“Strange,” Mason says as his lungs produce a laborious cough, “This place almost reminds me of home. If my home world got thrown into a back alley and beaten with a stick.”

“Well, this still isn't your world, unfortunately,” says a well endowed young woman clothed in a skintight catsuit. The woman’s sudden appearance and response grabs Mason's attention.

“Who are you?!” Mason asks.

“Travis Euller,” the new woman says mockingly, “it's your Oracle.”

“But you're…”

“Human. I know. This world doesn't have aura. So, I'm forced to manifest my soul in an actual body, instead of a stupid little fairy.”

“You didn't like being a little fairy?”

“I don't have much of a choice, otherwise,” she says, standing up, “because I'm bound inside that lock. Did you think the design of a lock was just for show?”

“After two years? … Honestly, yes I did.”

Oracle laughed. “C’mon, Mason. We have a job.”

“And that job is to fight evil?”

“Well, Mason, not exactly. First, we need someone to help us fight that evil. Then we can take it on.”

The two begin walking down the broken, empty street. “I can take anything on,” Mason challenges.

“Is that so?”

“Yeah! Bring it right here, right now, and I'll take it down!”

“Even without aura? You've been relying on it way too much.”

“I still have my emotions. That's the fire that burns in my soul as a Moretti.”

A cold, metallic click of a gun being cocked creates a perfect introduction for a cold and heartless, yet familiar, voice. It says, “You might want to rethink your words there, brat. I'm sure it was a slip of the tongue. Surely you can't be a Moretti, because every single Moretti is either me… or a corpse.”

The voice fires high velocity chills down Mason's spine as he slowly turns towards its source. Once he is turned, he finds himself facing the appearance of a group of thugs, the barrel of a gun, and the face of his brother Leon.

Mason's voice quivers, yet the corners of his mouth start cracking into a smile. “Leon,” he says, “can it really be you?”

From behind Mason comes Oracle's usually cheery tone turned dark and curt while delivered in a whisper, “You know better. This isn't your Leon. This is the Leon of this world, and he definitely isn't someone who is safe to be around.”

Leon scowls and barks, “I think you're forgetting a certain level of respect. It's King Leon Moretti.”

Mason can't help but roar in laughter. “You don't look like the king of anything! You look like some kind of gangster!” Despite being interrupted by lungs full of toxic air, Mason continues to laugh.

Mason's laughter is finally cut short by a bullet. This bullet decides that Mason's face needs to become very intimate with the pavement. It makes the matchup a reality by tearing through Mason’s leg and exiting out through his Achilles tendon.

With Mason collapsed onto the ground, King Leon slowly steps towards Mason, saying, “That's what happens when I don't get the respect I deserve. Capice?” Mason nods in agreement and King Leon places the barrel of the gun against his forehead. “Wanna see what happens when I get really mad?”

“Not particularly, no, sir,” Mason barely manages to squeak out.

“Too late. I’m mad. Boys, go deal with his lady friend.” Two rough thugs, which had been standing behind Leon obediently, circle around Mason and Oracle. One grabs hold of Oracle's arms and twists them behind her back. The other draws a gun and aims it at her head.

Mason, able to determine events only by sound, cries out, “No! Don't hurt her! Oracle, don't die!”

“Honestly, bitch, what do you think you're going to do? If you want to stop us from hurting her, go ahead and try!”

“I'm capable of protecting myself, thank you very much,” Oracle says, her words hovering over Leon like a sharpened dagger. She delivers a swift kick of justice to the grunt behind her and another kick to the hand of the grunt in front of her, knocking the gun into the air. A blinding force follows suit, creating and audible thud when it connects with the disarmed attacker. Oracle catches the gun, and two sharp bangs indicate that the thugs are no longer fit for their job descriptions, on account of being very, very dead.

The distraction is enough to draw King Leon's eyes away from Mason, who must think of a plan quickly. Before the synapses in his brain actually figure out a decent plan, however, adrenaline creates one for him. He lunges for the hand that holds the other gun and clamps down. A bitter, metallic taste enters his mouth and the accompanying smell follows after. The hand is jerked away as the king cries out in pain and the gun clatters to the ground. Pain still searing through every available nerve in his leg, Mason grabs the firearm and struggles to his feet.

Leon grips his bloody hand, growling in pain. He looks at the two guns aimed at him and realized he has lost, but his fight isn't over yet. He barks at them, “So, you're gonna kill me now? Well, come on then, Moretti! Claim your birthright! Kill your family! Where's that fire in your soul?”

Mason stands with his pistol cocked, aimed and ready to fire. His lips are trembling; his fingers are shaking; his breath is labored; his aim is wavering. A finger lays on the trigger, only millimeters away from firing a shot, yet it hesitates. A bead of sweat rolls down his forehead and his spine runs cold.

A shot rings out, nearly deafening Mason, but he is sure that the flash did not come from his own gun. His brother's doppelganger falls to the ground. Oracle walks past Mason calmly, providing an extra chill to run down Mason's back.

With a professional demeanor, Oracle squats down next to Leon's body. She is careful to get as little blood on her as possible while she searches his corpse. From his pockets, she pulls out a golden key. “Perfect, he had it on him,” she says. The Traveler's Mind. Mason recognizes it. It was his other option, opposed to the World’s Heart, when he began his adventures two years ago.

“We have what we need, Mason. Let's focus on getting you to a hospital,” Oracle says, placing the key in Mason's pocket and supporting the weight of the left side of his body, as his foot was unable to. The two of them trudge along at a snail's pace, searching for a hospital in complete silence.

Only once Mason is checked in and laying in a hospital bed with Oracle by his side does he finally speak, “I wasn't able to do it. I don't have that drive. There was this fire behind my aura…”

“Mason, it wasn't yours.”

“Ora, what do you mean?”

Oracle lets out a deep sigh. “I mean that it wasn't your aura or your passion. It was mine. I was just so tired of being locked up in that stupid necklace and being forced to be all bright and bubbly and formal…”

“You could have told me.”

“I saw how much you wanted adventure. I saw your will to be a hero. I wanted to be a hero myself. Trying to be a hero is what got me locked in that necklace in the first place. It wasn't our destinies.”

“What is our destiny?”

“To find hearts. To connect with people. You're not supposed to use your own powers, you're supposed to make strong friends! And that's what you always did! But I let you get cocky. I let you rely on me. Now you've forgotten all your friends and the sisters at Embassy Crossing are sending you on missions. I’ve failed.”

Silence fills the room, only broken by the sounds of depravity and crime happening mere blocks away. Mason breaks the silence once more, saying, “Thank you. Thanks for letting me be the hero for a little bit.”

“That ‘little bit’ was two years to the day.”

“Happy birthday to me?”

“Happy birthday, Mason Moretti.”

The two share a soft laugh as the doctor enters the room.

The doctor is a lady clearly in her late fifties, with long hair colored by age and fiery red eyes that show wisdom and experience. Her name tag reads “Roxanne Summers, PhD”. She speaks with sharp diction and commanding tone, “There's no way you're actually a Moretti. I'm inclined to kick you out of this hospital for such a blatant lie. So how about you tell me your real name before I do?”

Doctor Summers is silenced by a flash of gold as Oracle removes the Traveler's Mind from Mason's pocket. “This came off Leon Moretti's corpse,” Oracle says, “and I believe that he used to flash this thing around as a status symbol. Am I correct?” Dr. Summers simply nods. “So, how is this for proof that Mason here is a Moretti?”

The doctor's expression falls from grumpy and annoyed to deathly grim. All professional composure is completely thrown out the window with violent force. “If you killed Leon, you better get Mason to that fucking throne as fast as possible, or we are all screwed! Do you seriously not know what you even did?! I don't care if his damn foot is broken, we need someone to run this damn city!”

Mason, frightened and still confused, asks, “Wait, so he was an actual king, and not some gangster?”

Dr. Summers responds with a stare full of shock and terror. Oracle, attempting to comfort her, says, “Don't worry. He's not going to be the king here. We have a solution. Now I'm going to need you to trust me and just hold on to the key.”

“What reason do I have to trust you?”

“What other options do you have?”

Reluctantly, Dr. Summers has little argument to make. She takes the key from Oracle's hand, and the moment she does, the two of them disappear in a flash of light. Unfortunately, Mason is not brought along for the ride.

The gears in his head spin without producing much work. After about ten minutes of complete silence, Mason finally exclaims, “Oracle! You can reappear now! If that key is magic, maybe you can use it to get me out of here as well!”

Distant sirens answer Mason's call. Announcements begin to play, alerting people to make their way towards shelters. The hospital is in chaos, and unfortunately no nurse or doctor comes to take Mason towards these promised shelters.

The hospital becomes quiet once more. Amidst the silence, tears begin to fall. As salty drops of sadness hit a white hospital blanket, bombs in the distance strike against concrete, bringing explosions and destruction. Each passing minute brings a new explosion that sounds closer than the last. Mason curls up in his hospital bed and closes his eyes.

When he opens them again, he is no longer in the cold, dark world he was before. Rather, he is in a very soft, comfortable bed that is warm and cozy, enveloping him in a hug made of cloth and stitching.

“I guess I cut that a little close,” a warm, bright voice says. It is Oracle, back in her fairy form.

“Oh, don't worry. You were fine. I was only sixty seconds away from guaranteed death,” Mason responds.

“At least we won.”

“How the hell did we win?”

“We found Roxanne and gave her the key. We unlocked her hidden potential, so now she can fix her world.”

“I wouldn't call that meeting ‘making friends’, though.”

“You're not always that lucky.”

“So, are we back in Embassy Crossing?”

“Yes, we are. Although we can heal your foot easily with aura, it's still going to take some time to recover.”

“How long?”

“Six months. Only a few weeks to regain use of your legs, but you won't be ready for adventure for six months. Aura healing is like an instant surgery, not an instant recovery.”

After a pause to contemplate his situation, Mason says, “I think I'm fine with that. I could use a break.”

Oracle has to fight off laughter. “You already have a break… In your leg.”

Mason does his best not to smile at the joke, but ends up bursting into laughter alongside her. “Since when do you make jokes?” he asks.

“Since that world gave me back my personality.”

“You know what, Ora? This recovery might not be so bad with you around.”

Six months fly by in the blink of an eye as Mason and Oracle grow close. After a long recovery, Mason is finally ready to go back into the field.

As he is preparing everything he needs to leave, he strikes up a conversation with Oracle. “Hey, you know the two ladies in charge of this Embassy place?”

“Hm? You mean Athena and Amara? What about them?”

“How many worlds do they watch over?”

“More or less three hundred universes. Why?”

“The multiverse is a lot bigger than that, right?”

“It definitely is. What are you thinking?”

“I want one last hurrah. I want us to feel like a hero again. I know I should learn to use my own aura powers, but I want one more chance to use yours. We’ll both make a big show, and then we’ll head back to Embassy Crossing and search for more heroes to befriend. Sound good?”

“I can't use my future sight or data mining in worlds beyond Athena and Amara’s control.”

“What about battle aura?”

“Well, yes, I can…”

“Then what's stopping us?”

“I need to be able to get my bearings in the greater multiverse. I can't just instantly make a jump to any universe ever. So, I'll need to find another ‘hub world’, as you call it, like Embassy Crossing.”

“Then search.”

After a moment's pause, Oracle says, “I found a universe we can jump to. It's called the Coalition.”

“What's their deal?”

“Well, I can't gather data the same way, but.. it seems their objective is to stop these things called ‘Murder Games’.”

“What are we waiting for then? Let's go!”

“Just be careful, Trav.”

“When am I not careful?” Mason asks, opening a portal to a whole new world or adventure.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back