The Foundation of Story Making

Saiko

AMerePoet
Are you having trouble crafting a story? Trouble brewing up a concoction of triumph and heroism? Trouble manifesting the light and shadows? Well, here we are. Making a story is easier said then done. Here are things I and most others recommend doing to make your story great.

I: Where to Start?
The first and hardest part of writing is coming up with the plot in the first place. Here is my recommendation. First, think of the genre you want to pick. Don't just wander off picking this and that. You have to match. Horror and sci-fi is an example of a good combination. Make sure they flow together. Now, think of characters. You don't need to think of much right now, just get the keys to a story. A protagonist and an antagonist. Think of looks, personality, abilities, backstory and such. And don't be afraid of adding detail. There is no such thing as too much detail. Hell, the more description and flavor you put into your main characters, the better. Once you get your main characters set up, come up with a plot. Obviously, make sure it matches with the genre. Just follow the one golden rule. Be creative. Be original. No one want's to see a copy.

II: Developing the Plot
This will bring back elementary and middle school memories to those who graduated. The plot diagram. First, you need an exposition. A beginning. Describe the setting. Introduce your characters. Such and such. Now, not all characters need to be introduce immediately. Just introduce those that will get the ball rolling. Next, the rising action. Make things more intense and build up to the climax. Don't go crazy nd add random events. Make sure it flows, otherwise, people will not be able to interpret your story. Add moments where things calm down, and surprise people by turning up the heat. At this point, all your characters should be introduced by this point. Now, to the climax. Add an exciting event or twist and end with a bang. It could be a fight, or your partner could have been evil all along. This is what I do personally, but this is when I bring out a bang of sadness. But here is a key thing. Make people anxious for what happens next. After the climax, the falling action. This should be after a villain should be defeated, or when the twist in a mystery resides. Calm things down. Wrap things up. The character's journeys are nearing an end. Then we re at the last stop. The resolution. Say your goodbyes. Tidy things up. End at a cliffhanger. End the story how you please. Just keep it in flow. End on a happy note. A sad note. That choice is up to you. There is also another way to work on plot. The heroes circle. I won't explain it here, so you will have to google it. That is for another Codex.

III: What to do Before you Write
It is highly recommended you prewrite before writing the actual story. Not only can you catch your mistakes, but your final draft can be better than your rough one in detail. Prewriting is like starting a drawing, sketching out the proportions and such. It makes it easier to get ideas as you move on. Once you are happy with your result, start your final product.

IV: Conclusion
And there you have it. I would appreciate if my advice has been helpful, and describe how this advice changed your writing. If you still can't get the hang of weaving words to form an adventure, then PM and I will help you in any way I can. Thank you all.

I know this isn't steps on roleplaying better, but story writing improves roleplaying performance, does it not?

Back