The "Grand" City on New Blemont

Caffeine

The Sympathetic Sociopath
The Grand City of New Blemont, a modern utopia filled with all a man could want. Come start your new life here today! The poster exclaimed. The ornate lettering circled around a picture of the massive central spires, topped with honey-colored domes of copper. The central and tallest of the domes, often called Teyhan, was pierced by a massive chimney exhaling massive clouds of steam. Two massive airships were painted in the distance, their bronze coloring contrasting well against the crisp blue sky. Alas if only this idealized image was the truth, however that is only the life of the rich and powerful. For behind those majestic and sun-gleamed spires lie the literal underbelly of the city. On the other side of the towers was a sharp angled canyon that lacerated deep into the earth, reaching so far in some places that the bravest of people would feel queasy looking over the edge. However looking over the edge was the only way to see the rest of this so called “Grand” city. Every building was built into the walls of the canyon, networks of copper pipes ran back and forth over the walls, some more ambitious ones ran from one wall to the other, connecting the two sides in a shared network. People could be seen bustling about, walking along pathways carved in the stone and precarious rope bridges. Pulley systems operated elevators that could bring people and good to different levels. Catwalks were built on top of some of the cavern spanning pipes to allow foot traffic to move across the wide expanse. For the truly daring there were cables that one could use to zipline across as well.
The steam that emerged from Teyhan moved right over the top of the canyon, that mixed with the steam constantly leaving the rest of the town cast New Belmont in an almost unbroken twilight even during the day. This also made the entire city very damp and rainy with an unbroken dreariness that hung in the air as thick as the clouds. The deepest parts of the maw were always dark as night which required there to be blue lights to be indented in the walls at regular intervals.
At the South end of the canyon, where to two walls met, a massive pipe three men tall let out a constant river’s worth of water that flowed along the bottom of the canyon to the North end where the canyon suddenly stopped at the sea. A large number of docks lay along not only the river in the canyon but at the mouth. These shipyards are where almost all of the imports and exports happened.

Hello everyone and if you made it this far thanks for the read. I'm looking for a small group of players, about 2-3, to run a group of private investigators to go on a variety of cases and I'm just posting here to see if I can find some interest in the setting. Please feel free to message me or comment any question you may have.

A steampunk Utopia environment... I am always a sucker for those settings. The environment is polished and expansive, something I find most essential in a story personally. As for plot, what exactly would the players in question do exactly? Is it an open-world steampunk detective story, because that sounds like the best style for that environment.

Well my plan wasn't just to go on detective cases, but actually have to run the business of a detective. Early on you'd have to hunt for cases to do and later on perhaps people would come to hire you directly and you may have to choose what kind of cases to go on. I'm always open to suggestion from the player on what cases might be fun or interesting. I'm hoping we can get this to last a good while.

I picture Thief Lord, where the detective is hired for various cases in Venice. I like the idea, but are the characters independent of one another, or are they collaborating on cases within the same detective company? Just trying to define it better in my mind.

Yeah I get it. It would probably be easier if the character worked together, just for flow reasons. Honestly though it'd be a choice for the players to decide.

Alright, I have a better idea of it in my head now. The open world aspect is there to an extent though, I assume? It seems like a large scale environment.

Yeah this isn't going to be a railroaded adventure. I've already begun work on mapping out the city a bit but I wanted to make sure interest was there before I went too deep. I used to DM for Dnd a lot so I have a lot of experience in improvised world building as well.

Nice, you don't need experience to GM but it is nice that you know how to improvise well. I think it will be a nice RP, considering the detective premise might just attract a generous amount of attention. Remember though; Advertise, or else people might not notice the interest check much. I wish you good luck on this, and I think it is an amazing idea.

Hello! I am very interested. I have a Steam punk character I've been wanting to kick around for a while. I also have a lot of experience in investigative RP, and doing so in a new setting would be cool. :)

Back