The Great War

Littlemankitten

I heal you, I hurt you. I heal you again. Forever
The Great War

The year is 1914 Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria has been assassinated. A diplomatic crisis and a few declarations of war later, The magic wielding allied powers consisting of France, the United Kingdom, Russia, and a few minor powers are at war with the steam/diesel punk Central Powers of Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the Ottoman Empire.

The war is bloody and fierce, neither side seems to have a clear advantage and many are left homeless or stranded in towns and cities. The powers dive deep into their realms for new kinds of weaponry and magics, and it seems the entire balance of the world may dissolve into chaos.

-----------------------------------------------

The world is in chaos, and you are stuck in the middle of it. However, everyone has their own perspective and story to tell, what is yours? Are you a crew member aboard one of the mighty German walking land battleships armed with 408mm cannons? Or a dragon rider of Britain, battling biplanes and armored blimps? Perhaps you are of the royal family in Austria-Hungary? Of course, you could simply be a civilian stuck in France as battle rages all around you. It is up to you.

(This RP is going to be very opened ended and up to the players. There is no set outcome of the war and everything that happens it dependent on the stories the players create. This is mostly due to the fact that I myself have no real story-making skills so I'm leaving it up to you guys.

If people take interest I will create character sheets and maybe figure out exactly how this is all going to go)

I AM HERE WITH MY AUSTRALIAN PRIDE.

NEVER ANOTHER GALLIPOLI, THIS TIME WE CRUSH THE TURKISH BASTARDS.

Char sheets:

Name:
Rank (if applicable):
Relationships:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Magical abilities(
If part of Allied powers, please list clear strengths and weaknesses as well):
Other info:

Last edited:
Bring it! Get ready to fight the might of the German war machine!

I wish to make a german Brigadier Genera of a mechanized brigade.

Name: Jackson Hugginson, champion of the Rainbow Serpent.

Occupation: Army volunteer in the Australian Infranty Forces. (Previously a Firefighter)

Rank (if applicable): Sergeant

Relationships: Nothing of relevance. Has two younger brothers in Aus.

Appearance: Jackson is tall, tanned skin, and has a somewhat slovenly appearance. His beard is untrimmed, his clothes bag and seem to be covered in splotches of paint and food. He has blond hair and blue eyes. He carries with him the standard weaponry and uniform for Australian infantry, but also carries a Kukri, Boomerang and a variety of bones and plant tufts required for him to use his ability to summon.

Personality: Jackson is fun and outgoing, an entirely social creature. He has a strong sense of adventure and is always the first into any situation, or to do something out of the norm. But he's also been forced to adapt to take an almost sociopathic view on death, as the countless people he's seen die or the creatures he's had to sacrifice take a toll on him. Because of this, he sometimes creeps out those he's talking too, as he seems to smile just a bit longer than required or laughs too hard.

Backstory: Originally a firefighter, Jackson had long felt rather useless. He was born as one of the steadily dwindling people with no evident magical power. Throughout his young life he knew wasn't very smart or good at talking. What he did know however was that he was strong, and he used that to his full advantage. Yet even in that field others outshone him, and he was passed over by many. Finding himself out of high school with no prospects, no future and nothing to help him, he noticed a flier on a nearby post advertising for a firefighting position. After showing up and competing with over a thousand other, magical people with abilities specifically suited for the task, he eventually ranked 7th and was enlisted into the service.

From there he would continue to do his job for two years until one night, as he was making his way through a burning house in search of any survivors, it came to him in the flames. Visions of thin dancing, shadowy people. Of eyes that burned brighter than even the hottest flame. Of shadows and bones and death. But most of all, of a writhing, sleeping Serpent as bright and as coloured as a rainbow, twisting and writhing itself as water flowed around it.

A mere week after that night, Jackson resigned from the service and, with nothing but the clothes on his back, began walking to the centre of Australia, to the red heart of the country, to Uluru. It would be a long journey, with many weeks of walking, but he neither tired nor went hungry, as if sustained by some otherworldly force. Once he arrived at the massive, red rock, Jackson wasn't sure what to do.

It would take a few hours until he finally touched the rock and, when he did, Jackson disappeared from this world. He would not reemerge until years later, when the world went up into flames of war. Rising from the Murray river, he made his way towards the nearest recruitment office and quickly enlisted, newfound abilities placing him above those in his cohort.

Magical abilities(If part of Allied powers, please list clear strengths and weaknesses as well): Jackson is a summoner capable of linking with The Dreamtime and the Dark Place, which contain deieties of aboriginal belief. He is capable of summoning these beings provided the necessary requirements are in place. All beasts have different needs, however Fire is a recurring theme required, as well as tufts of grass and life. Some beings require the sacrifice of other people or even other summoned beings.

Last edited:
I'm in. Is it cool if I make a character for the allied navy? I've been in the mood for some sea battles. :3

I'm in. Is it cool if I make a character for the allied navy? I've been in the mood for some sea battles. :3
That's fine, keep in mind whatever weaponry or engine power they use will be mostly magical in nature. There will probably also be Krakens or other sea monsters used.

Right, since people seem to be interested, I must ask how we want to do this. Should this be very freeform with people doing whatever they wish like I said originally, or would people prefer to have some underlying plot to go with? Either way chances are this RP will have little in the of structure to start with.

Depends really. If ya wanna stick to history as much as possible, I would say freeform since my guy's Australian and that means he's gonna end up in Gallipoli, which is a specifically Australia vs Turkish campaign, so freeform for that.

If you just want mass battles of fantasy vs steam/diesel punk machines I vote plot

I was thinking it would stick to history (or as much as it could givin the premise) unless the players make it go ahistorcal, say if someone played a general and they were either a entirely different general then at that time or if they were a actual general that made different decisions or something. As I said im mostly relying on the players to make their own plots, as this is supposed to be "Everyone's own story in a grand war"

*Heavy breathing.* Make Kaiser proud, mates! Gott mit uns!

On the side note I hope your RP goes well. I still stick out this time.

*Heavy breathing.* Make Kaiser proud, mates! Gott mit uns!

On the side note I hope your RP goes well. I still stick out this time.
Thank you, though not many people have made a sheet yet so idk if its happening.

Char sheets:

Name:
Rank (if applicable):
Relationships:
Appearance:
Personality:
Backstory:
Magical abilities(
If part of Allied powers, please list clear strengths and weaknesses as well):
Other info:
Name : Maximus ( what's a good German last name?)
County: Germany
Occupation: Storm Trooper, Flame thrower carrier , formerly a student
Rank: 1st LT ( Enough to have authority yet still be at the front )
Relation ships: none but straight
Personality: had that nice school kid innocence at the start but years of war muck and grime have ruined that stripping him down to a emotionally raw man. He will laugh with you but it won't bug him when you die. Other than that you get respect. Intellgent ( for now)
Backstory: was breed to be a patriot throughout years of school he'd just graduated when the war started and he'd been already signed up for the military. He's seen the best and worst of the war and become a harden trooper that symbolizes the idea of troops.

Q: I've actually had him in my pocket for a while though he was originally in World War Two . I want for him to be Come basically unkillable ( not unbeatable) but at the cost of him loosing all sanity making him wild and unpredictable. A monster of the front able to hurt both sides. I'd obcouously explain this more and how to more properly stop this monster if you allow it.

Name : Maximus ( what's a good German last name?)
County: Germany
Occupation: Storm Trooper, Flame thrower carrier , formerly a student
Rank: 1st LT ( Enough to have authority yet still be at the front )
Relation ships: none but straight
Personality: had that nice school kid innocence at the start but years of war muck and grime have ruined that stripping him down to a emotionally raw man. He will laugh with you but it won't bug him when you die. Other than that you get respect. Intellgent ( for now)
Backstory: was breed to be a patriot throughout years of school he'd just graduated when the war started and he'd been already signed up for the military. He's seen the best and worst of the war and become a harden trooper that symbolizes the idea of troops.

Q: I've actually had him in my pocket for a while though he was originally in World War Two . I want for him to be Come basically unkillable ( not unbeatable) but at the cost of him loosing all sanity making him wild and unpredictable. A monster of the front able to hurt both sides. I'd obcouously explain this more and how to more properly stop this monster if you allow it.
Jäger, which means hunter in German sounds good. I would like a little bit more in backstory and personality. I would also like you to explain the "unkillable" aspect as well, and how you plan for that to be balanced. He can be very tough sure, but direct dragon fire or whatever could kill any human, just like how a tank shell should be able to kill any human.

. I want for him to be Come basically unkillable ( not unbeatable) but at the cost of him loosing all sanity making him wild and unpredictable. A monster of the front able to hurt both sides. .
*Waves a red flag.* You mean he is still in control and only attacks his foes, despite what you claimed there?^^

Actually I do have a plan for balancing his unkillable ness if it's allowed!

Like I said: first of mental insanity meaning that he'd probably be a last restart weapon.
Second while in killable he is NOT unstoppable. Shoul one say break his leg he'd be forced to crawl, however as stated no amount of drama or damage can put him down, only incapacitate and disable.
A like angology would be like destroying a tank, it often counts as destroyed but you can often see its burnt out husk. Now think of it as a living tank, that you can break it down as much as you like but in the end that ruined husk will still be there.
Shooting him in the heart akin to a heart attack if he's only wearing a normal uniform. Everything still hurts.

Although I should mention taking limbs off would be impossible. As the plan for this un killable nature I plan to come from a special uniform.
This also means Poisoned food and gas can still rapidly disorient and deteriorate him. His healing rate would be that of a normal human, if you could survive a shot to the heart... so something like that would take much longer.
He will of course also suffer spasms and anxiety attacks as well.
Of course you don't have to do this, I just thought it would be an intresting idea
Especially since realistically crazies were often used as weapons along with prisoners

Actually I do have a plan for balancing his unkillable ness if it's allowed!

Like I said: first of mental insanity meaning that he'd probably be a last restart weapon.
Second while in killable he is NOT unstoppable. Shoul one say break his leg he'd be forced to crawl, however as stated no amount of drama or damage can put him down, only incapacitate and disable.
A like angology would be like destroying a tank, it often counts as destroyed but you can often see its burnt out husk. Now think of it as a living tank, that you can break it down as much as you like but in the end that ruined husk will still be there.
Shooting him in the heart akin to a heart attack if he's only wearing a normal uniform. Everything still hurts.

Although I should mention taking limbs off would be impossible. As the plan for this un killable nature I plan to come from a special uniform.
This also means Poisoned food and gas can still rapidly disorient and deteriorate him. His healing rate would be that of a normal human, if you could survive a shot to the heart... so something like that would take much longer.
He will of course also suffer spasms and anxiety attacks as well.
Of course you don't have to do this, I just thought it would be an intresting idea
Especially since realistically crazies were often used as weapons along with prisoners
That's a bit extreme. The only feasible way is if the magic users of the allies did some crazy powerful experimentation on him. Being unkillable ruins any tension or meaning of a setting like this. That's why the Fast and the Furious movies suck now, is because you know that the main characters wont die, and they can pull of whatever they want and come up on top. Even if your character can be debilitated, it only serves to drag out his goal which he will inevitably reach. So, no, I won't allow this.

Back