The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild/Nintendo Switch

M

Meliodas

Hoping this will be my last discussion for the day but I feel as if there are a few things worth talking about if anyone is interested. I am an enormous Zelda fan and I have literally been waiting for this game for the last five years. It was supposed to come out in 2015 but now we are looking at 2017 with no release date. There has been a load of new information on this game in the last few weeks, and it honestly is not only beautiful but enormous.

My only real concern at the moment is the Switch vs. Wii U. I have a Wii U, and I bought one for the sole purpose of a Zelda game. Considering I bought the Wii U near launch, I was optimistic. With Twilight Princess, they pulled similar tactics and pushed it on their new console a month before their previous generation (even though the game was designed initially for the previous generation). I'm suspecting they will do something similar, forcing me to consider just how badly I want to play this game.

But the Switch seems to have drawbacks in my opinion. They can't pack the power of an Xbox One or PS4 into a small handheld, so how powerful will it be really compared to the alternatives?

~M

From what I've seen, despite being a hybrid console/handheld the device is incredibly powerful. Having a custom Nvidia graphics card and specs built from the ground up make it just as powerful as an Xbox One or PS4. Maybe it won't be quite on par with the Project Scorpion for Xbox or the PS4 Pro, but it's definitely more powerful than any mobile gaming device has been to this day.

Of course, this is just what things seem to be like for the new console. Nintendo games are known to be very well adapted to their respected console, so I don't feel we have to worry about how powerful it is for their own games. Breath of the Wild will more than likely run beautifully on the Switch. Showing us that Skyrim is going to be on the console, we can assume it's Skyrim SE they're running, and that can give you a vague idea of it's capabilities.

I have great faith in the Nintendo Switch's success. I feel like this could really be a step up from the slow down-spiral Nintendo's been going through. Only time will really tell how powerful the console will be, but I like to be hopeful. ^~^

This will be probably the most powerful handheld by far. But, I wouldn't go as far as to say on the same level with the current consoles. The specs were leaked earlier this week and everyone says it isn't even CLOSE. But for a handheld, yes, this is the thing to go. But specs aren't important to me. That is more for graphic capability and all that crap that I don't understand (framerate, etc.). I was so let down with the Wii U that I am unsure if I will buy into the Switch right away.

But, I might have no choice after recent rumors speculate that the new Zelda is being canceled for the Wii U in favor of the Switch (citing that it isn't running as well on the Wii U even though it was originally made for the console). Hoping this is just a rumor considering nothing official has been said.

~M

Massive Zelda geek, at your service! I'm so excited for Breath of The Wild, but intimidated by the big changes. The game looks so sleek though, the realisim has had a lot of thought put into it.

I saw that they were implementing more modern technology and was like, "They literally made this game just for me." XD

I'm excited about the Switch too. It's gimmicky, but kind of neat in its own right! To my knowledge, it looks like they're making Breath of The Wild for both Wii U and Switch.

They did announce it for both consoles but a rumor that sparked from a Japanese News Agency recently came out to say they had sources stating otherwise. But I think this could just be a rumor because I have a hard time believing Nintendo would do that. They would have far too many unhappy customers if they did.

I never really liked Skyrim or games like that but I feel as if this new Zelda could be the perfect blend of those types of games with all the Zelda mechanics I've come to know and love.

~M

They did announce it for both consoles but a rumor that sparked from a Japanese News Agency recently came out to say they had sources stating otherwise. But I think this could just be a rumor because I have a hard time believing Nintendo would do that. They would have far too many unhappy customers if they did.

I never really liked Skyrim or games like that but I feel as if this new Zelda could be the perfect blend of those types of games with all the Zelda mechanics I've come to know and love.

~M
I agree with you 100%. I just hope we keep the puzzles so I don't die immediately like I do in Skyrim lol. I'm Theta, by the way. Nice to meet you!

Mel. :) They will keep the puzzles, but similar to Skyward Sword, they plan for the world itself to be the true puzzle. There will be around 100 shrines (miniature dungeons) while the world will act as puzzling and mysterious as the conventional dungeons we remember.

~M

Mel. :) They will keep the puzzles, but similar to Skyward Sword, they plan for the world itself to be the true puzzle. There will be around 100 shrines (miniature dungeons) while the world will act as puzzling and mysterious as the conventional dungeons we remember.

~M
Oh gosh that sounds incredible! I've got it pre ordered on Amazon already XD So excited. I'm in love with the concept of being able to reach every visible inch of the map someway or another. It looks to be a promising new adventure for sure!

I will be very mad if they don't put out a Wii U version.

Now, graphics are cool and all that, but I think you guys aye missing the bigger picture. Jump. Button.

I have it preordered on Amazon as well! I just wish I knew when exactly we could expect it. The date on Amazon is a placeholder. Right now, I am hearing that due to testing, it won't come out until the summer. I'm always hearing too that similar to Twilight Princess, they might push it for the Switch a month before the Wii U in order to get sales out of the new console.

~M

Having a jump command will add a new element to Zelda, as well as being able to climb nearly everything. They also did away with potions in favor of crafting. What I wonder is with the weapon mechanics, how does the Master Sword fit in?

~M

I have it preordered on Amazon as well! I just wish I knew when exactly we could expect it. The date on Amazon is a placeholder. Right now, I am hearing that due to testing, it won't come out until the summer. I'm always hearing too that similar to Twilight Princess, they might push it for the Switch a month before the Wii U in order to get sales out of the new console.

~M
Ugh I would die. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET IT FOR CHRISTMAS. Like, I know it'll be worth it in the end but FRUSTRATION.

O.O I know! Because welcome break and all that! Will there even be one? I'm actually really excited because it's not like a traditional Zelda game, I was never very good at them ><

Well, I bought the Wii U solely with the expectation of a new Zelda game. It was meant to be released in 2015 before being pushed back to 2016, and so on. I'm not sure how much longer I can sanely wait for it myself. I've personally not had a new game since 2011 with Skyward Sword. I've played a majority of the games however and beat each of them multiple times. Recently I beat Twilight Princess HD!

~M

Well, I bought the Wii U solely with the expectation of a new Zelda game. It was meant to be released in 2015 before being pushed back to 2016, and so on. I'm not sure how much longer I can sanely wait for it myself. I've personally not had a new game since 2011 with Skyward Sword. I've played a majority of the games however and best each of them multiple times. Recently I beat Twilight Princess HD!

~M
Lol I haven't even opened TP HD's box yet.

My personal favorite is WindWaker but I have a soft spot for the Four Swords Manga

I've only ever played handhelds all the way through myself, Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks. But my brother has played most of them.

I've only ever played handhelds all the way through myself, Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks. But my brother has played most of them.
AAAAHHH MINISH CAP AND SPIRIT TRACKS ARE MY SECOND AND THIRD FAVES.

I am obsessed with the Wind Mage

Ocarina of Time! I actually have a big tattoo on my arm with the sword/shield as well as Navi and the Spiritual Stones.

~M

Back