The Underground

Wyknish

That's my secret-I never know what I'm doing
I want to build a world about a society living underground. I'm thinking maybe three classes of people. Higher, middle, lower. We can come up with more creative names later. There can be all sorts of ranks, like 'Sorcerer' 'Alchemist', 'Healer'. I like it steampunk style, that's how I always imagined it, but that can be changed. I also want magic to be used as an everyday thing. Get a pinch of happiness with your coffee. Cars are towed away by levitation. You can fix the plumbing with magic. There are rules and regulations, of course, but I want to see if anyone's interested first.

I would prefer just a few people. I'm pretty new, and I don't think I could handle a roleplay with over twenty people. That is my max. After that, I get very awkward.

So, interested?

Last edited:
Sounds interesting. Is there any more information that you can give to us at present? I'd like to have a more concrete idea of what sort of roleplay this is going to be. Is there going to be a set plot, or is this just open world exploration?

Sounds interesting. Is there any more information that you can give to us at present? I'd like to have a more concrete idea of what sort of roleplay this is going to be. Is there going to be a set plot, or is this just open world exploration?

Right now I'm thinking about there being some sort of plague or famine, or something that stops everyday magic from being used.

Right now I'm thinking about there being some sort of plague or famine, or something that stops everyday magic from being used.
Your idea about there being something that stops magic from being used is very interesting, it's got a lot of potential. Alright, think I'm down for this. Additionally, if you need to brainstorm for more ideas, I'd be happy to do so :)

I'm here to tell ya you're gonna want to sort out your tags. The mods don't appreciate it when you spam that many. Select what"s relevant and remove the rest before they do something.

Quick question: how would you describe the technological / social status of this underground society? Would it be closer to Victorian England or is it more modern than that? Asking so I can make my character period appropriate.

It would be much like Victorian England. Although the class system is slightly different, most other aspects are similar.

They have relied on magic mostly, and therefore haven't got very advanced technology.

Clothing and beliefs are also similar to Victorian England, with women staying home and rarely going to school. Men run the businesses, sons are wanted more than daughters, everyone is supposed to marry at a young age, that sort of thing.

sounds cool, with it post-apocalyptic, what does the surface world look like?

If you've ever read the Artemis Fowl series, there are fairies that essentially live under ground. I only vaguely recall details. At any rate, you could definitely get some structure ideas from there.

If you're still accepting, I'd love to join.

Character Profile

Name: ( with a last name )
Class:
Job: ( optional )
Dress and appearance:
( you can have a picture, but you don't need one )
Short backstory:

By the way, you can be nobility (will post a map later) eg. Dukes, Duchesses, but keep in mind there are only 4 'spots'

Last edited:
Map:
View attachment 1382

-Varisvaara is near the entrance. It's where they started digging centuries ago.
-Airsdale is known for expert healers and the best apothecaries.
-Millstone has huge windows, or portholes, that let in sunlight but not radiation. It's the farming district.
-Grasmere is the largest, and is a huge, bustling city. Nearby is the palace.
-Ship's Haven is the transportation hub. From Ship's Haven, you can take either the railway or canoes to any other province.
-Roselake is a small fishing village by the underground lake of the same name.

In a time long after the humans destroyed themselves, a new race emerged from the ashes. The Victra. They were like the humans in all aspects but one.

Magic.

The 'Gifted' had magic in their bodies, magic that flowed from their fingertips and enchanted the world. Some could levitate objects of any size and weight. Some could make fire and water dance at their command. But with all this power, the Victra still could not live on the surface of the Earth. It was blackened, rocky, and poison hung in the air. So those Gifted that could manipulate the Earth begun to dig. They dug deep enough that the poison could not reach them, and the dirt was a fresh, moist brown.

They built a world for themselves underground. Magic was used to levitate ploughs, cure illnesses, conjure up feasts any size. And they lived, undisturbed, for centuries.

But then a virus arrived. One that jumped from person to person when it sensed magic being used, then killed the magic. As it grew, it was able to sense magic without it being used. The people feared it, and the world crumbled as food stopped coming, illnesses appeared out of nowhere, and hope began to fade.

But a tiny glimmer of hope, held in the hearts of few, awoke a magic that couldn't be detected. It was older than time itself, and was the one thing that could stop this plague.

The Technicalities of Magic
There are only a few rules:

-Magic is not in everyone
-Magic is specific (you can only levitate things, you can only conjure objects, you can only conjure food, you can only heal illnesses, etc.)
-Magic is not very powerful, other than healers.
-You can't conjure things out of thin air. That item always disappears from somewhere. Conjurers can focus their power and take something from somewhere.

If you didn't get it before, you've got a special power. I will reveal it later, but the gist is you aren't affected by the virus unless you use magic around someone that has it.

Last edited:
Noble ranks, but there is no Duke, Duchess, or anything like that in Roselake and Ship's Haven.

Name: Adelia Chattoway
Class: Upper Class.
Dress and appearance: Adelia has large, curious eyes, and a scruffy look about her despite her gowns and expensive clothes. Perhaps it's because she doesn't let the servants do her hair, doing it herself, which ends up with her pinning it up in a rushed half-bun.
View attachment 1385
Short backstory:

Magic doesn't grow back limbs, and Adelia knows that too well. The daughter of the Duke of Airsdale, Adelia knows nobility don't approve of her metallic leg. She lost it in a tunnel collapse that she doesn't even remember, she was so young. Despite being ashamed of her leg around other members of the higher class, Adelia enjoys seeing the surprised look of people who didn't expect such a hard kick in the kneecap after annoying her. She sneaks out of the neighbourhood often, and helps out in the apothecaries in Airsdale.

Last edited:
Back