Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Tianshi City: Golden Phoenix Hall

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script and Knosis

Naotora shook his head, "Nothing that I've heard of, but I have to assume something's acting as a catalyst for it. Whatever it is, it's stayed quiet enough that no word of it has reached us."

As they approached the Guild House, they passed by several groups of people who greeted Naotora with a wave and smile. Each of the groups appeared to be composed of warriors or people otherwise equipped for travel and combat. At a glance, some had the look of mercenaries, but there was an extra layer of... 'polish' to them that set them apart from your typical hired sword. Each individual looked like they had an interesting story to tell.

The front of the building itself was dominated by a pair of large double doors, embossed with a pattern of flames in a winged shape. The doors stood open at the top of a few small steps up from the street, and thankfully were tall enough to allow even Tugark's near ten-foot frame to enter without ducking.

Inside, the main hall was alive with activity. A multitude of tables were arrayed before them resembling a mess hall, as people sat around them laughing and drinking merrily. There was a bar to one side of the room, tended by several men and women, and it looked as though behind it there was a kitchen serving food. The back of the room played host to a raised dais with a large bulletin board, where various posters describing jobs were placed - most of the displayed jobs were things like bounties, or long-term 'for hire' ads, rather than time sensitive matters.

It looked as though those things were handled as they came in, and off to one side a group of people were talking with a woman with long blonde hair holding a clipboard and wearing a pointed hat and glasses, taking notes as they talked to her. After a brief exchange, they handed her a pouch of money and she turned to begin making her way around the room, approaching tables of people and showing them the clipboard.

"That's Shiori," Nao pointed a finger at her, "She handles new requests, and depending on their urgency either immediately hands them off to one or more of our members, or posts them on the board."

He led Tugark off to the side of the room, where there were a few empty tables, and took a seat atop one of them. He gestured for Tugark to do the same on the table across from him - the benches might have been too small for him to sit on, but the table could work as a substitute. "Alright. Nobody should bother us - my guildmates know better than to interrupt me when I'm talking to someone from outside the guild in case you're a client. But you needn't worry, they're all trustworthy."

Kurai led the group from Yosai Village into the Golden Phoenix Guild Hall only a minute or two after Nao had arrived with Tugark. He turned to them with a smile, "Wait here one moment, I'll get Shiori for you. She deals with incoming jobs."

He left them standing in the entrance-way to look over the bustling hall. Kyo's eyes widened at the sight - so many people of different creeds and talents in one place was astounding. "This place is amazing," she murmured, "It must be so exciting to be a member of a guild like this."

Tugark still seemed unwilling to talk, even with Nao's assurances that none with eavesdrop or interrupt. It would seem that he had no choice in the matter.

The beast would lean gently against one of the tables, his blue hues gazing around the Guild Hall once more before going on about his story. "I am missing something of importance to me." He said quietly. "Two things, actually, but only one really matters." He held up one massive finger. "The first and least important is an arm band made of a rare metal. It was given to me by a dear friend, and has some.. Properties to it that aid me during battles."

"The second and most important is a blade of which no other has been made.." He said quietly. "It has been blessed by my Goddess, and it is part of my very soul.. And with it, comes all the power I have been blessed with.." He whispered as quietly as he could. "I can feel it has fallen into someone's hands.. But they do not know how to use it. The last place I had tracked it down, a thief had sold it to a peddler that was said to have come this way.." Tugark murmured.

"I must find it before it falls into the wrong hands.. Unfortunately, it has the ability to change its shape to the need of its wielder, so even I do not know what it looks like right this moment.." He clenched his jaw. "There is a secret to finding it.. But I will not tell you unless you decide you are willing to help me."

"A weapon that is part of your soul?" Nao whistled, "I can see why you'd want to get that back."

He leaned back, frowning thoughtfully, "Okay, I'll help you. But first, tell me a bit about yourself, and your Goddess. Just to make sure I'm not being duped into helping some great evil acquire the relic they need to wreak havoc. Not that I think you're evil, but it never hurts to know the full story."

The beast closed his eyes and took in a long deep breath before letting it out in a sigh. "It is.. A long story." Tugark explained. "But if you're willing to listen it out, then I shall tell it."

He folded his massive arms over his chest, his eyes remaining closed as he recalled his memories. "Hrmmm.. My people, the Avand, are creatures known for our warriors. We are usually trained for the hopes that one day we are called upon to protect those who we serve. The biggest honor is to serve as Guardian to the Goddess." He murmured. "When I was just a pup, our Goddess Ivon lost her Guardian due to an attempt on her life." He explained. "And thus, the search for a suitable replacement was needed. The Avand had suffered a great loss of our kind, and our numbers were dwindling.. And so when the Goddess searched for her new Guardian, I was the one chosen to take on the burden." He murmured.

He took another deep breath. "Of course, I was too young. I was 10 years of age, and although I had begun to train.. I was no where ready to protect the most important thing of our land, and the only person keeping us from war. So, my training was expedited. I was sent away from my family to train with masters relentlessly for 10 more years while Ivon remained secluded to her castle. When I had returned, I was deemed fit for the title and was blessed with a weapon that is literally an extension of myself.." He paused for a moment. "Once I returned, though, there was no peace. Enemies of our Ivon had spread lies and hatred against her over the 10 years I had been away. There had been many attempts on her life to remove her from the mortal realm. All seemed at a loss.."

"Until the treaty with neighboring kingdom. It came to us as a shock, but Ivon did not wish to cause strife between us and them. And thus the the treaty with Ivon and Lerti, A war god. But as we were at the signing.." His voice grew grave, and eyes eyes opened, nearly glowing at this point with a mixture of pain and rage. "We were betrayed with a promise of a gift. Ivon accepted, and when she opened the box, a poisoned arrow pierced her heart and killed our beloved Goddess' mortal form.. With our goddess lost, there was nothing to stop her people in an outcry of revenge and I was one who also fell victim to hatred for our enemies."

"I was trapped soon after, by the Sages of the Temples.. My blade and arm band taken away and I was placed into a deep sleep until it is time for Ivon to be reborn. As a Guardian, I failed to protect her life. And I will remain a Guardian, trapped in a cursed existence, until my life is given in the service of Ivon. Now I have been awakened, so the time must be near.. But I must find my other half before I can face my Goddess again."

Tugark paused and looked down, the light in his eyes fading. "I have slept over two hundred years, and the world has changed so much. The Sages last gift to me was the ability to gain knowledge of language. But I know nothing of this world. I am the last of my kind. My friends, my family, all gone. And the only thing I have left, is my duty to the Goddess."

Nao listened in silence for the duration of the tale, his expression solemn. "A long story... and a sad one." he said after a long pause when Tugark had finished speaking. "I can't imagine the pain you have endured."

He contemplated for a moment, running a hand through his fringe. "I will help you, but on one condition." He looked up to smile at the large being, "That you try to find happiness in this new world, not just in your Goddess. No man should live solely for another. It may be that you're searching for yourself in more than one way."

Nao held up a hand, "But, I won't press. You have my help. So how do we find this weapon?"

The beast gave a gruff laugh that vibrated the air around him. "I had warned you from the beginning that it was a long tale.." He said, his eyes meeting his companion's. "But the tale is mine to bare. I would not wish it upon another soul." He said quietly.

"Mmm.. In time I find I might be able to enjoy this world. Much has changed over the years, and there are so many things to see and learn about.. Of things I have missed." A bright light twinkled in the Avand's eyes, something of excitement. "And I do believe that over centuries, Ivon will return to this world forgotten. It will be my duty to seek her out and protect her from dangers, but it will be a far less problem than it was in my time." He admitted. "Yes.. I do believe our time this time will be different.."

"But to ensure this, I must find my blade. The blade can change shape to the need of the wielder, so we cannot go by what it looks like. However, it has the same symbol etched into it no matter what shape it takes. It also glows blue to the eyes of those who know its true name, and will answer to its call." He said quietly. "That, I will not name allowed. I trust you, but even with your assurance that none will bother us.. I am still hesitant." He said. "If you can read, I can write it down as well show you the symbol that is displayed upon it and then we can burn it."

Naotora nodded, "As you wish - let me get you some paper and a pen." he said, swinging his legs off of the table and making his way over to near the bulletin board. After a moment he returned with a blank piece of paper and a marker pen, "They may be a bit small for you, but hopefully you can manage."

He leaned back on the table thoughtfully, frowning. "I'll have to try and pull in some contacts in the marketplace. Plenty of people there owe me favours. If it's reached the black market, that'll be more difficult. But definitely not impossible. Storming a black market den to retrieve something is exactly the sort of thing you come to a guild for instead of the police." he said, grinning.

A throaty chuckle escaped the beast as he took the pen in between two fingers and the paper in the other hand. "One thing you learn how to do with living with a smaller race.. Is to learn to use small things." He grinned, though with his fangs it looked more like he was about to bite Naotora's head off.

Tugark went to work at drawing the symbol on the paper first. The beast snorted. "Imagine having looked in two smaller cities before landing in this one, alone.." Tugark explained. "And I'm not even sure it is here.. But it feels right.. Hrrrmmm.." He then blinked. "What is a 'black market'..?" He asked. "We only had one type of market in Ishador.. There was this one stall that always had the most amazing sweet rolls.. She'd bake a batch for me every other Lun.." He smiled again at the fond memory.

"A market run by criminals," Nao explained, "Called the black market because it runs in the shadows, out of the public eye. It deals in stolen goods, and illegal goods like drugs, weapons and the like."

The black market in Losenji was filled with smugglers and wielders of forbidden magics, but it was purportedly kept in check by the hand of the secretive Yin Wei, whose agents perforated it thoroughly and kept it in line. Why they chose not to wipe it out - if, indeed, those rumours were true - was another unknown, but people suggested it was for the very reason that it was so well infiltrated. Wiping it out would only lead to a new one sprouting up. Others simply said it was because it profited them.

"Hrrrm.." Tugark hummed, his brows furrowed. "Sounds like something Shayla would have started up.." He muttered darkly.

He finished up the drawing and quickly scribbled the name down the best he could translate it for Naotora. He then held it out to the man. "Memorize it.. And after, throw it into the fire." He said quietly.

The symbol was simple. He had drawn a perfect circle, and within the separate but connecting lines that stopped at the ring of the circle. A mountain.

The name was more complicated. It looked like Tugark had difficulties trying to translate it and a few times had crossed out the word he thought of and decided that wasn't it. Finally, he decided on one word scribbled at the bottom that loosely sounded like 'Eibhir'. (EYEb-hEER)

The beast scratched behind his ear again sheepishly. "Sorry if that is not good.. Even though the sages had the wisdom to give me knowledge of language.. They did not make me smart enough to write names down in your tongue." He explained slowly.

Naotora laughed, "It's alright. Most westerners find it difficult to pick up Losenyu verbally, and writing is even harder - since we use an entirely different alphabet. The inverse is true of course, though I've been exposed to plenty of Terran common, since there are a lot of those hailing from Aslund and the rest of the TNG in Golden Phoenix. Our leader, Devona, was born there herself."

After a moment, he nodded. "Alright. I've memorised it. So, the next step is starting to look, I suppose. What do you know about this peddler? Anything?"

To that, Tugark snorted. "From what I have heard, he is a quela.." Tugark flinched. "A cheat." He explained. "He goes about buying off of folk who have very little and need money, paying them low prices for their goods, and sells them off at absurd prices." He scratched his snout then.

"Shady man. They called him Jack, and they said he had a wagon of sorts of goods and was heading this way." Tugark winced again. "But he could be gone by now I guess.."

"A cheat and a conman, eh? I think I know just the guy to talk to."

Nao turned to face the room, casting his eyes around for a minute before spotting who he was looking for. "Hey!" he yelled, "Blink! Get over here!"

Across the room, a blonde boy in a white cap with a distinctive pair of curled horns looked up from a conversation with a pair of other guild members, giving Nao a questioning look.

Nao folded his arms. "Did I stutter?" he called.

The boy visibly rolled his eyes, before with a rush of displaced air and a brief shimmer of light, he disappeared, then reappeared not a split second later right next to their table. "What is it, Nao?"

"You're coming on a job with me. You know the underside of this city better than anyone else here - I need to track down a shady character by the name of Jack. He's a guy that cheats people of their valuables when they're desperate for money, then sells them on at ridiculous prices."

Blink raised an eyebrow, "You're going after Mad Ol' Jack? What's the crazy asshole done now?"

"That's on a need-to-know basis. Can you find him for us?" Nao replied.

"If I can't do that, what am I here for?" Blink smirked, before turning to Tugark, "Pleasure to make your acquaintance, big guy. I don't know what Mad Jack's done to get you mad at him, but I don't envy him one bit. 'Course, Jack has a lot of friends, you don't last long conning people out of their livelihoods without the connections to back it up." The boy grimaced, "But, if you think you can handle making a few enemies, I can get you to him pretty easily."

Blink glanced at Nao, "We going now, then? I have things to do later in the day, so I don't want to be doing your dirty work too long, much as you know I love dragging my old dirt up for the benefit of others."

Nao looked across at Tugark questioningly, "Are you ready to set off?"

Blink's sudden appearance startled the Avand, causing him to stand up in start. After a moment the beast calmed down, realizing the horned boy was no threat to him. It would seem that Tugark reacted only in instinct from some bygone age. He visibly relaxed, but sheepishly touched his snout in greeting as he had done for Nao before. "Well met, friend Blink." He said. "I am Tugark of the mountains."

His face fell into a frown. "I do not wish to make enemies. But no matter where you come from, you are bound to have one enemy and one friend." He then smiled slightly. "And I do believe I can take care of anything that is thrown at me."

Tugark repositioned his wings against his back and nodded to Nao. "I am ready whenever you two are."

"Then let's get moving," Blink said, turning towards the door, "We'll want to head to the outer city, that's where Jack operates from. More people in abject poverty there to take advantage of with his thugs. Real swell guy, he is."

Naotora shook his head, "I don't think I'm going to have any qualms with taking him out."

"Just try not to start a war with the criminal underworld... again..." Blink rolled his eyes and laughed as they moved towards the door.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script and Moonscar

The front of the building itself was dominated by a pair of large double doors, embossed with a pattern of flames in a winged shape. The doors stood open at the top of a few small steps up from the street, and thankfully were tall enough to allow even Tugark's near ten-foot frame to enter without ducking.

Inside, the main hall was alive with activity. A multitude of tables were arrayed before them resembling a mess hall, as people sat around them laughing and drinking merrily. There was a bar to one side of the room, tended by several men and women, and it looked as though behind it there was a kitchen serving food. The back of the room played host to a raised dais with a large bulletin board, where various posters describing jobs were placed - most of the displayed jobs were things like bounties, or long-term 'for hire' ads, rather than time sensitive matters.

It looked as though those things were handled as they came in, and off to one side a group of people were talking with a woman with long blonde hair holding a clipboard and wearing a pointed hat and glasses, taking notes as they talked to her. After a brief exchange, they handed her a pouch of money and she turned to begin making her way around the room, approaching tables of people and showing them the clipboard.

Kurai led the group from Yosai Village into the Golden Phoenix Guild Hall only a minute or two after Nao had arrived with Tugark. He turned to them with a smile, "Wait here one moment, I'll get Shiori for you. She deals with incoming jobs."

He left them standing in the entrance-way to look over the bustling hall. Kyo's eyes widened at the sight - so many people of different creeds and talents in one place was astounding. "This place is amazing," she murmured, "It must be so exciting to be a member of a guild like this."

Masa and Zhiya shared similar thoughts. They marveled at the business of it all, the grandness. Though Masaeyu had been to cities before and was slightly more used to the atmosphere, Zhiya had never once stepped food outside of her little village.

She was quite overwhelmed.

Every crowd that would push on by had her skittering or bumbling over to the side. She crossed her arms protectively, not at all in tune with her environment.

Masa, on the other hand, was enjoying it all too much. He went ahead to wander off toward the bar and made himself comfy next to the most available woman he could spot.

The person who Masa had seated himself next to didn't look up from the book they were reading, idly brushing a strand of long platinum-blonde hair out of their lowered face.

Kyo watched Masa go and rolled her eyes with a sigh, "Is he... already?" she murmured to Zhiya, shooting the other girl an exasperated glance. "He's hopeless."

Zhiya exchanged glances with Kyo. "He's a right pervert, he is. Not sure if I can blame him; he's wrung Yosai dry already."

Kyo wrinkled her nose, "Nice choice of wording, there..."

Zhiya's hand whipped up to her mouth in a chuckle. "I didn't mean...!"

"Too late!" Kyo suppressed a laugh of her own.

Zhiya could only roll her eyes in turn before letting her gaze fall upon their male comrade, who had leaned so far over the bar to try and capture his target's eye that he was nearly laying atop the counter.

"Hey. Hey there. You, ah. Really into that book."

The pair of eyes that flicked up to meet Masa's own likely did not meet his expectations. Reptilian and bright amber in colour, they were framed by a smattering of shimmering blue scales. Kazuya straightened, brushing his hair back to reveal the many tattoos on one side of his skull. His expression remained entirely unmoving as he spoke. "Do not lie upon the counter. You're getting in the way of drinks being served."

Masaeyu's cheek lay in his hand for a solid minute, blinking at the mutant as he tried to maintain a pleasant smile. There was no surprise there, nope. His eye didn't get wide as a dinner plate at all. His silence was in awe of his stunning beau-

"Ahem. Hah. Hmmph. You know what? So sorry to bother you. I gotta. My dear, precious friends I came here with are so lost and-"

"Stop talking."

"Gotcha."

Masa made his way back over to Kyo and Zhiya like a kicked puppy, head down and face red as a tomato.

Kyo was biting her lip, and doing a terrible job at suppressing a fit of sniggers. Zhiya did her best to comfort the man, lips pressed together tightly in an attempt not to smile. "Oh, Masa... you poor man. Maybe this will teach you a lesson, at last!" She looked over at Kyo and hissed in laughter through her teeth. "I didn't know you liked the scaley ones though."

"You should have said something," Kyo finally managed to speak without devolving into laughter, "We had a particularly scaly specimen all netted up back at the village..." She trailed off, practically squeaking at the effort of containing her giggles.

At this point Zhiya couldn't help it, and doubled over with both her hands over her mouth. "Oh, Kyo, don't be so rude!" she said through tears.

It was at that point that Kurai returned to them, the bespectacled woman with the pointed hat and the clipboard following along behind him. He raised his eyebrow at Zhiya's raucous laughter, looking from her to the embarrassed Masa. "Ah... what did I miss?" he asked with an amused smirk.

The young swordswoman straightened up and cleared her throat swiftly. "N-nothing at all, sir," she stuttered. "Just... poking some fun."

Kurai laughed, "No sir, please. I'm sorry, I realised I've been very rude and haven't introduced myself. I'm Noboru Kurai, but Kurai is fine. This is Osamu Shiori, she's responsible for taking job requests."

The woman bowed her head politely to the trio of youngsters, slightly tilting her pointed witch's hat. "A pleasure. May I take your names, please?" She readied her clipboard.

Kyo nodded, clearing her throat of any remaining laughter. "My name is Takeuchi Kyo, my friends are Mori Masaeyu and Liu Zhiya."

Shiori quickly scribed their names upon her board. Kurai nodded his head, "I'll leave you in Shiori's capable hands," he said, smiling and bowing before he moved away into the crowd.

"And what's the nature of your request?" Shiori inquired.

Zhiya piped up, "Ah- we have a kappa problem. There's naga in our lake at Yosai Village causing the kappa to be vicious towards us. We... don't really know what to do."

Naga, Yosai Village, kappa aggression. Shiori noted down her brief summary on the paper with seemingly ridiculous speed, her pen darting across it like lightning. "And you require the naga to be eliminated, correct? How many are there, or is the number uncertain?"

"Uncertain," Kyo answered. "The kappa we interrogated wasn't sure how many there were."

"You'll need operatives who can work underwater." Shiori clicked her tongue in thought, "Nao would be my immediate thought, but he's occupied with another client. We have other Torrents, but none on his level... Ah, yes. Do you have a particular budget?"

Kyo glanced down at her pouch, "Six thousand Jìán," she said, biting her lip in worry. This had been her biggest concern - that they wouldn't have enough money.

"Hm." Shiori noted the amount down on her board, "You're unlikely to attract much attention with that budget. Out of the way location, likely a dangerous job, and a minimal reward."

Masa held up a hand to catch her attention. "I'm a traveling merchant. Do you only take money?"

Shiori paused, glancing over at him, "I'm authorised to negotiate other forms of payment. What did you have in mind? It will, of course, be ultimately the decision of any of our members whether they will take the job. I'm merely an intermediary."

The frosty-haired man put his fingers to his chin in thought. "Weapons. Rare items. I just need time to find them. You can hold me in debt until then, but I can promise it'll be worth your time... anyone's time! We just need the help."

An eyebrow was raised in response, and another note made. Nonspecific promises of nonspecific items of nonspecific value. "I'll include that in the notice. Are there any other details you want to add? I'll post the request on our noticeboard as well as speak to specific potentially interested parties." Shiori said.

"How long will it take?" Kyo asked.

"That's highly variable. Notices have remained on our board for anything up to years, but for a job like this, it could be anywhere between hours and weeks."

"Weeks?!" Kyo exclaimed in dismay. They couldn't even afford to remain in the city for weeks!

Zhiya stepped up. "What else can we trade? If not money, if not items. We can't wait weeks!"

Shiori shook her head, "The money is not the concern, simply the variable nature of requests submitted to the guild. Our members are freelance, and individually select when they wish to take up a job. Weeks would be a worst case scenario. I will speak to each of our Torrents personally today, aside from to those who are away. If none of them accept the job, then it will remain on the board until someone takes it."

Kyo sighed, running a frustrated hand through her hair.

"I assure you," Shiori went on, "The request is most likely to be accepted either today or tomorrow. If it isn't, you're free to retract the request at any time."

"I suppose we don't have much choice," Kyo murmured, "We need the help, and the ministry said it would take weeks to get an investigative team out to the lake. Fine, post the job up. How will you find us if someone accepts the job?"

"Where are you staying?" Shiori inquired.

Kyo glanced at Masa and Zhiya. They hadn't figured that out yet.

The witch raised her eyebrow. "You can remain at the guild until evening, if you wish. After that, you'll need to find accomodation."

"Alright. We'll wait." Kyo said, grimacing as Shiori nodded and took the note down.

"Thank you for your understanding," the woman said with a mechanical smile, "I'll see to getting everything organised for you."

With that, she turned and swept away.

"Well... fingers crossed," Kyo murmured, sighing again. She hoped that the woman's time estimation had been conservative.

as written by Script

It was late afternoon by the time Nao, Tugark and Blink returned to the Guild Hall. Here too it seemed preparations for the spirit festival were in full swing. Decorations had begun to be hung throughout the central mess hall, and there were significantly more people present than when the trio had left, as new arrivals had funnelled in to spend the festival with their guildmates.

A small cheer rose from the crowd as someone spotted Nao entering, and he offered them a nod of acknowledgement before looking to Tugark. "Come on, we can talk in a side room away from the others."

He led Tugark out through a side door of the mess hall and through a corridor, until they reached a moderately sized room that looked like it functioned as some form of meeting chamber. A large wooden table ran most of the length of the room at its centre, with benches parallel to it and a single large chair at its head. Nao took a seat on one of the benches with a sigh, leaning back on the table.

Blink meandered over to the large chair, nonchalantly seating himself upon it and crossing his legs as though posing upon a throne. He grinned. "Hey, Nao," he called, "Find me some armour and a sword, and I could totally be Devona."

Nao shot him a sidelong glance, "You know she'd smack you if she saw you in her seat. Besides, you're too short."

The teen folded his arms and huffed, before blinking over to the bench on the far side of the table.

"So what was it you wanted to tell us?" Nao asked Tugark.

as written by Knosis

Over the course of the walk, Tugark's demeanor had changed slowly back to the bumbling Avand the pair had met. The runes had finally disappeared off his arms, and Blink's 'bubble' was gone away. But it left the beast looking awfully tired, and once in the conference room, he took a seat on the floor at the table.

It didn't matter much to him though, his mass was so large that he was still at eye level for most things. "I understand honor.." Tugark explained. "It is a thing in which drives us to achieve the impossible, push us towards perfection or ultimately to our destruction." He looked up at Nao. "You have done more than what I could have asked of you and your guild, and so if at the end of my tale you wish not to continue with me on my journey, I would not consider it a mar upon your honor, nor of the guild's. I have not told you the full importance of why I must find this weapon." He said. "It is a powerful weapon, one of which can change its shape into the needs of the wielder, and it cannot be destroyed as long as my soul is attached to it. But is also where I draw my power from as well. It is hard for me to cast spells with my blade so distant away from me. But one thing you should know well. I am a guardian of a goddess. Combined with the sword and arm band, I am capable of taking on another goddess in their mortal form if it came down to it." He explained quietly.

"If someone knew what my weapon was and how to use it.. Then they would know how to use me and force me into their submission. I would be helpless to do their bidding unless my Ivon commanded otherwise." He frowned once more and looked away from Nao. "Did you notice back at that place.. How I changed after I drew upon my powers?"

as written by Script

Nao nodded, "At the time I thought your patience had merely worn thin, but yes. Like you were holding back a tide of anger."

"But the chances of someone figuring out your weapon..." Blink interjected, "They're pretty slim, right? It's from a totally different world, yeah? So I doubt anyone's heard of it enough to know it from any other shapeshifting weapon."

Frowning thoughtfully, Nao shook his head. "Jack said that the person who purchased it seemed to seek it out, like they knew already what they were looking for. That does not bode well, does it? Beyond exerting power over you, what kind of power might one other than you possess with the weapon alone, should they know how to wield it?"

as written by Knosis

Tugark sighed and looked down to the floor. "For me, the weapon is cursed now.. To draw power from it is to inch myself closer to chaos.. Until I can break the curse, I risk losing myself in the process." He looked up again and sighed.

"For those who know what to look for, not only gain my powers, but could borrow powers from Ivon herself. Although Ivon is not the strongest of goddesses, she is quite powerful in her own right. And in the wrong hands.. Can wreck destruction upon wherever they go. I was only slightly lying about the curse to Jack. He had not been effected because he had not had it very long. But the same curse that effects me will slowly twist the mind of its wielder. So even if the person who held it originally was good hearted, the darkness will over run them eventually."

as written by Script

Nao frowned, looking down at the floor in contemplation for several long moments, before lifting his gaze once more with determination set in his eyes. "Then that's all the more reason for us to go after it. We can't let a weapon like that stay in the wrong hands, no matter the danger to us in retrieving it."

"Ehh... let's try to avoid the self-sacrifice if we can, yeah?" Blink raised a dubious eyebrow, "I'm in, don't get me wrong, but if we could avoid the over-bravado..? That'd be great."

Nao rolled his eyes, "I'm not an idiot, Blink. Anyway. Tugark, I can have a full team accompany us, or I can keep it to just the pair of us. Whichever you think is best. My allies in the guild are reliable, and I'd trust all of them with my life but if you'd rather less people knew the situation, I would understand."

as written by Knosis

Tugark closed his eyes heavily and was silent for a long time. One could almost wonder if he had fallen asleep, except his ears kept twitching. "The faster we find it, the better it is for everyone. And the only way to find it quickly, is with more than three minds." He finally said slowly. "I will trust your judgement on your guild. But I do not have any way to repay any of this." He murmured.

"But.. I will need some rest after the incident earlier.. I'm afraid I expelled too much of myself and the day is almost over." He then grinned sheepishly, scratching the side of his snout as he often did. He peeked one eye open to Nao. "Besides.. There's a festival tonight, and I would like to see it. One night won't hurt."

as written by Script

"You're right," Nao nodded with a smile, "I'll make the necessary arrangements. Blink can show you around the festival, and I'll join you later in the evening."

Blink grinned, "Now that's the kind of work I can get behind. The kind where it's not work." He hopped up from the bench and across the table, turning to walk backwards as he made for the door. "Things'll already be kicking off in the city centre. The festival only officially starts after the Empress' speech this evening, but there's plenty to do before that."

as written by Knosis

The Avand slowly stood, stretching his wings straight out behind him to their full lengths. His wing span had to be twice, if not three times his on height, making it quite a feat to not bump them into something. "Mmmm very well then. It is settled." He slowly folded his wings back against his back and walked over to Nao, placing a hand gently on his shoulder.

"It.. Has been a long time since I've trusted someone." He admitted. "I still have reservations. But I don't think it would be far fetched to call you a friend, now. I am at your service, should you or the guild need of it."

as written by Script

"It would be an honour," Nao bowed his head to Tugark, "I like to think myself a good judge of people, and from all I have seen of you, I would be more than glad to count as my friend."

Blink folded his arms with a huff, "No heart-warming friendship speech for me? I don't need you assholes anyway, I'm my own friend," he grumbled, though the smirk on his face betrayed his lack of seriousness.

as written by Knosis

A loud hardy laugh boomed from Tugark, echoing in the room at Blink's comment. He walked over to the boy and placed a hand on his shoulder as well. "But I need you, Master Blink." Tugark reached down, aiming to pick Blink up and place him on his shoulder, if allowed.

as written by Script

Blink squeaked in an incredibly manly fashion upon being picked up, blinking in surprise at his abrupt relocation. After a moment, however, he raised an amused eyebrow. "I could get used to this. Looking down on folks from on high. Just er, watch the door frames. Now c'mon, we've a festival to see!" The teen pointed a finger towards the door, "Onwards!"

as written by Knosis

Tugark chuckled, and Blink could feel it rumble through his shoulders. Slowly Tugark made his way towards the door, ducking low to ensure to have Blink make it under the frame. He would follow the directions he was given towards the festival.

as written by Script

A short time later...

"Your habit of taking pro-bono jobs is getting a little excessive, Nao," Devona folded her arms sceptically after the prodigious Torrent finished outlining his intent. "Solo work, or even pulling in a friend or two, that's your own business... but wrangling an entire team? You have bills to pay, as do the people who you'll be taking with you. Not to mention the guild's commission."

Nao tilted his head, "Master, I have more than enough money saved up from old jobs. If this turns out to take a great deal of time, I'll be able to offer compensation to those with me."

The armoured woman shook her head and tutted, "You're impossible. And costing us our commission! We can't deduct a percentage of nothing, you know."

"You're starting to sound like Shiori, master," Nao smirked.

Laughing, Devona rose to her feet, "Listen, I'm not going to stop you if you can find volunteers to come along. The world needs more heroes willing to stick their necks out, that's why this guild is here. But it won't do the world any good if those heroes suddenly realise they can't afford their food bills anymore..."

She waved a gauntleted hand in a shooing gesture. "Go on, find your team. You'll be lucky to catch people before they go to the festival."

Nao bowed his head in respect, "Master," he acknowledged before exiting the room.

As he made his way downstairs he ran through in his mind who he'd need for this. A seer would be essential, considering how much of the job hinged on tracking down an individual. The ability to glimpse the past would make following in their footsteps a lot easier. A singer would doubtless be useful for gleaning information in a more traditional manner - from people. Finally, if he could pin down a spider... he had a hunch that the connection between Tugark and his weapon would be like a gleaming beacon to a webwalker. The guild hosted precious few of them, however, and they were in high demand.

It wouldn't hurt to bring along a breaker or two for extra muscle, but it was already looking to be an ambitious recruitment job as it was. Too large a team would slow them down too much, and likely make Tugark uncomfortable.

He emerged out into the guild's mess hall and cast his eyes around the room, quickly spotting two of the people he had in mind. "Hye Ja! Shirou!" he called over the din of conversation, "Can I have a word?"

as written by CelticCat

Hye Ja stood from her table without turning her head, quietly talking to the group she had been sitting with for a few seconds longer. With a motion towards Nao and a wave to the table, she made her way to him accompanied by a soft jingling. A pleasant smile lit up her features as she got close enough to reply without yelling. "Hello, Nao. Not come to ask us to the festival with you, I assume?"

as written by Sokka

Shirou looked up as he heard his named called, he recognized Nao's voice. He took one more sip of his tea before getting up and fell inline behind Hye Ja, 'Man I was hoping for an invite to the festival too!" Shirou said snapping his finger's jokingly and shaking his head.

"What's going on Nao?" He asked.

as written by Script

Nao smiled, "Later, perhaps. I wanted to ask if the two of you had anything planned in the next few weeks. I've got a client that I'm helping out as a favour, tracking down an important artefact. I could use the both of you along for the job. Hye Ja, your Farsight will help immensely in following in the footsteps of its current bearer, and ... well, Shirou, I'm sure we'll probably have to hit some people along the way."

He chuckled, "There's not any payment from the client involved, but you can consider any expenses to be on me."

as written by Script

Nao smiled, "Later, perhaps. I wanted to ask if the two of you had anything planned in the next few weeks. I've got a client that I'm helping out as a favour, tracking down an important artefact. I could use the both of you along for the job. Hye Ja, your Farsight will help immensely in following in the footsteps of its current bearer, and ... well, Shirou, I'm sure we'll probably have to hit some people along the way."

He chuckled, "There's not any payment from the client involved, but you can consider any expenses to be on me."

as written by CelticCat

Hye Ja laughed softly and simply shook her head. "How can I refuse, when you make me sounds so integral to the mission? I have a few appointments, but I can make my schedule work." Hye Ja shifted her position slightly, which caused her jewelry to once again jingle. She pursed her lip for a moment, then added, "Might do me some good to work for work's sake for once."

Back