Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Tianshi City: Senasi Gardens

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script

Over the course of the first day of the week of the solstice, Senasi Gardens had undergone a transformation. The normally peaceful and untouched greenery had filled with busy workers from the ministry of culture and tradition, as well as volunteers and entertainers from across the island. Lanterns had been hung in the trees, and decorative colourful lights hung over pathways. Carnival stalls ranging from fortune tellers, to food sellers, to rides had been set up lining the roads and the clearings. Onlookers from the city came to excitably watch as the largest carnival on the island was formed - stretching across the entirety of the gardens, with the exception of the walled-off palace enclosure, as well as the surrounding streets.

As the day wore on into evening, the beauty and excitement reached a peak. The lanterns and lights were lit, casting Senasi Gardens in a rainbow of luminance, and stalls began to open. Soon, the smells of traditional Losenji food, as well as cotton candy and other confectionery began to waft throughout the area. Music from performers and from rides filled the air with a concert of noise, and before long it was joined by the noisy sounds of the arriving crowds.

The Festival of Spirits had come to Tianshi City in full force.

The gardens were a walk of about an hour from the docks, and the journey from the Golden Phoenix guild hall had been almost as colourful as the carnival itself. Many onlookers, as ever, turned to watch as Tugark passed - but perhaps less so than they might have another time. The city had many visitors at this time of year from all across Valore, of all shapes and sizes.

The stars had come out in force for the night, clearly visible in the sky despite the bright lights of the festival. Crowds of masked men and women passed by Tugark and Blink in the street.

When they reached the gardens, Blink leaned down from Tugark's shoulders, grinning, "Well, here it is!" he announced, "We ought to go and get ourselves masks before things get too busy." Blink's words seemed to be a little late considering the crowds that already filled the pathways within and the roads around the gardens. "There'll be a dozen different stands selling them around here somewhere, and if we don't have them we'll stand out ... even more than already."

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Knosis and Script

Tugark looked around with awe at the transformation that had occurred just in a day. He carefully turned about, looking at all the decorations and the people who have gathered. It was clear that Tugark wasn't the only visitor here, just the tallest. The food was the next thing to grab his attention, and a strong whiff of it came as he passed. His stomach growled and he grinned sheepishly at the child who had halted in his steps at the sound.

Festivals were the same then, it seemed. And something of a nostalgia over came Tugark, both with a mixture of happiness and sadness in his huge eyes. "It is good to see not all things have changed.." He murmured quietly to his companion. "I do not think a mask would be enough to hide me, Master Blink." He chuckled. "But I do see a stall over here selling a few." He slowly made his way through the crowds towards the stand. Once there, he gently hefted Blink from his shoulders and set him down on the ground.

____

The stall vendor's eyes widened somewhat upon seeing Tugark approach, but the surprise was quickly masked with professional expertise, slipping into a cheerful smile. "Why hello there!" he exclaimed, "Here to buy a mask, are you? Has your companion already explained to you the origins of the Spirit Festival?"

Blink glanced up at the question, "Er, I suppose that context would be good, wouldn't it?"

The vendor smiled, "Ah, story time then. See, the spirit festival is all about promoting harmony between us and the spirits. Since ancient times, Losenji has prospered as it has because of this unity. Our crops grow with unrivalled vigour, our waters remain pure and our hunters return with great bounties. Some of our people are even blessed with great powers by bonding with a spirit at birth."

While he spoke, Blink was browsing through the masks, clearly searching for something in particular. Each mask was intricate in its design, some clearly representing animals or natural features whilst others were somewhat more abstract, designed to represent spirits of concepts such as joy, time, or wisdom.

"The spirit festival comes at the time of the solstice, and begins a several week long period of celebration in which we revere the spirits and thank them for their continued blessings," the man went on, "Traditionally, it was believed if the festival did not take place, then the spirits would not usher summer in, and we would remain in an eternal winter until they were appeased. Not that many subscribe to that belief today, but the tradition remains."

Blink finally located what he was looking for, pulling out a mask marked with designs reminiscent of a ram. A fitting choice, considering the ram-like horns upon his head.

____

The Avand listened in silence to the tale that the vendor told with enthusiasm. Tugark had been well aware of them in his world. He had even conversed with a few, and called even fewer still a friend. Those beings were immortal, and few in his world. Here, though, that seemed different. Spirits openly interacted with people here, either with good or ill intentions. But Nao had mentioned there had been spirit attacks recently, more so than usual. If that were the case, perhaps the harmony was broken.

"I see." Tugark said, giving a toothy grin. He then looked down at Blink's mask and chuckled. "That will fit you quite well, I believe, Young Blink." He said. He let his eyes wander over the many masks and shook his head. "I do not think there is a mask here that would fit me proper though. I do not mind standing out though."

____

"I also offer face-painting services!" The vendor piped up as Blink handed over a few notes for his mask, "Are you certain you don't want a mask? I'm sure I could make some minor modifications to the strap..."

Blink shrugged, "It's not a big deal," he said as he slipped his mask on, "Most people do it, but foreigners often don't. It's more for fun than anything. Now..." he turned to glance around the various stalls, "Are you hungry? Because I am starving. I need me some horribly fatty festival junk food right now."

____

Tugark straightened up and shook his head remorsefully. "I respect the spirits greatly, but I must decline." He said, holding is closed fist to his chest as he bowed slightly. "I appreciate the story, neiivck. Thank you for sharing it with me." He slowly straightened back up and followed the boy.

"I've not eaten anything in.. Well, a very long time." He chuckled.

____

There was all manner of food to choose from at the various stands throughout the gardens, most of it traditional Losenji cuisine, but with a number of stands catering for foreign food and more generic fast food. Activity was beginning to pick up as the evening wore on, and more and more people were arriving.

"Wonder what'sh keeping Nao?" Blink mused through a mouthful of rice as they passed by a roped off area of the festival where a crowd had gathered. Frowning as he attempted to peer over the shoulders of the watchers, after a moment he glanced up at Tugark.

An instant later, he had appeared on his shoulder with a brief flash of light, startling a few nearby passers by.

From his new perch, he could easily make out what was going on. A duel - or more accurately, a show-fight. Two figures, a man clad in a simple kimono-style robe and a woman in full traditional samurai armour faced off in the ring. The former wielded a pair of twin curved broadswords, whilst the latter held a katana. They were engaging repeatedly in rapid exchanges of blows, neither landing a strike upon the other as they danced from one end of the arena to the other, mixing in kicks and dives with their strikes.

To the trained eye, it was obvious that they were aiming more for a performance than a real fight, and a number of opportunities to end the fight went untaken. To the average observer, however, it was a thrilling and deadly dance.

"Show offsh," Blink mumbled, still munching on food.

____

As the crowds had gotten thick, he had to be especially careful not to step on a random passerby, and thus opted to stand still most the time until there was a break in the sea of faces.

Tugark nipped off one of the fluffy pastries on the stick and was munching it happily. As Blink appeared on his shoulder, he would feel a slight vibration, like a cat's purr from his shoulders. "This food is the most amazing thing I have had in a very long time." Tugark exclaimed after swallowing what he had in his mouth. His eyes wandered over to the two warriors. He too, could see it was naught for show.

"Yes, but.. It still shows the great skill the pair of them have. To dance that way together is an art form and a trust that many do not possess. I do believe if ever the pair of them were to come across an enemy together, that foe would be woefully outmatched. They know each other, more than mind and body. But in soul as well. They are kindred spirits, and even if they have never once met before this day, that trust will follow them through time."

as written by CelticCat

Hye Ja linked arms with Shirou as they approached the growing crowd, pressing through the people with determination. Even the jangling of her clothing and jewelry became muted in the hustle and bustle of the festival. The energy was enough to light up her face in a smile as she resisted the urge to skip through the stands like a child.

"Do you see Blink, Shirou?" she called over the crowd.

as written by Sokka

Shirou looked through the crowd there were so many people it was hard to see anything from here. Crouching down he leapt up into the air, scanning the crowd as he did so. "I can't make him out but there's a fight over there! I kinda wanna go watch that." He said.

as written by Script

Once the pair got a bit closer, it wouldn't be difficult to pick Blink out in the crowd, placed as he was on the shoulders of Tugark's towering form. The boy's horns were distinctive enough that there was little mistaking him for anyone else.

"Hmm," Blink murmured, "I suppose so. Either that or one of 'em's a good choreographer," he noted with a snicker. The two fighters continued to whirl around one another to bursts of applause, but something drew Blink's eyes upwards.

To the eye of a spirit channeller, or another being in tune with spiritual energy, the spirits of Losenji were as visible as any other entity - usually taking the form of abstract forms of coloured light unless deliberately manifesting a particular shape. During the spirit festival it wasn't uncommon to seem them flock in small numbers overhead or between the crowds.

But something was off about them tonight that caused Blink's brow to furrow. Their numbers were particularly few, and of those that he could see, they were flitting erratically to and fro. A significant number of them were making their way purposefully north, barely pausing to witness the festival honouring them below.

"That's weird..." he murmured.

as written by Knosis

Tugark raised his massive head, his blue hues casting his gaze to see what Blink was seeing. In Tugark's world, he had been trained to see the spirits that were normally invisible to normal beings in the world. He made no comment as he watched the erratic spirits above, all moving in a particular direction.

Even to him, a new comer in this world, he knew it was odd behavior.

The next thing Blink would know as Tugark unfurled his massive wings and gave them a powerful shove that would probably knock a few people back a few steps, they would be 50 feet in the air above the crowd and climbing higher with a speed that seemed unnatural for a beast of Tugark's proportions. The air would be colder here, missing the heat of the crowd and the ground and cooled by the breezes most wouldn't feel higher up. But, as the Avand slowed, both of them would better see which directions the wandering creatures were heading.

as written by CelticCat

Hye Ja grinned at Shirou's suggestion and began pushing through the crowd in the direction of the fight. It was only moments, however, before she noticed the boy they'd been looking for taking off into the sky with someone who Hye Ja could only guess was their client. "Ahhhh! Bliiink!" she screamed, jumping into the air and waving the hand that wasn't maintaining contact with Shirou.

She frowned and stared up at the pair before nudging Shirou lightly with her elbow. "You don't happen to have a pair of wings you've never showed me, eh?" she questioned as a grin spread across her face.

as written by Script

"Eeeeeeek!" Blink exclaimed, hunkering down and clinging to Tugark in an entirely manly fashion. "Spiritsthatwasterrifying!" he gasped, "Warn me next time! I think my heart just skipped half a dozen beats and got lodged in my intestines."

Taking a long breath to steady his nerves, he turned to watch the spirits passing below. They seemed to be flooding out of the city to the north, though vision wasn't perfect that distant. "I wonder where they're going..." he murmured, though he didn't sound too concerned. The ways of spirits were nebulous at the best of times.

It was then that Hye Ja's shout caught his ear, and he looked down to spot her and Shirou. "Oh, looks like Nao's backup is here. Want to go down and meet 'em?"

as written by Sokka

Shiro looked up, "Is that----Blink?."

"I wish I had wings but sadly all I have are these arm thingys." He said with a grin.

as written by Knosis

Tugark's ear flicked at the calling individuals below. "Sure." He said, sounding distracted.

He slowly allowed himself to drift downward until his feet were secure on the ground, careful to give any on-lookers plenty of warning he was coming down. "I apologize for startling you, Master Blink. It was not my intent.." He said sheepishly.

as written by CelticCat

"Oh, good! It looks like you don't need them. Yet." As the pair descended back to the ground, Hye Ja tugged Shirou along behind her until they were within a good distance to greet them without getting underfoot. A brilliant smile lit up her face and she quickly went into a polite, intricate bow before addressing the stranger. "Greetings. I am Hye Ja of the Golden Phoenix Guild."

as written by Script

"Sup guys!" Blink grinned from his perch, lifting his hand in a half-salute, "This is Tugark, he's the one we're helping out. How come Nao's not with you? He said he'd come and enjoy the festival once he fetched you."

He glanced at the sky, "It must be getting pretty late. He's gonna miss the Empress' speech if he doesn't get his ass in gear."

People were already begin to move in the direction of the Imperial Palace enclosure, to get the best spots they could to listen to Empress Kaida speak and officially open the festival.

as written by Sokka

"I am Shirou of the Phoenix guild. " He said to Tugark.

"He should be on his way he said he needed to catch up with Singer first." Shirou said to Blink.

as written by Knosis

Tugark bowed his head and touched the tip of his nose respectfully to the pair that introduced themselves. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Madame Hye Ja, and you, Master Shirou, of the Phoenix Guild." He said. "I appreciate your willingness to help me with my matter.." He said quietly, furling his wings against himself as soon as he had clearance.

"I am sure Nao will not be long, Master Blink. Perhaps we should head that direction and save him a spot?"

as written by CelticCat

Hye Ja smiled and nodded to Tugark. "It is good to meet you, Tugark. I hope my services are able to aid you well." She peered around the crowd for a few moments before shrugging and pointing at those who were headed towards the Imperial Palace. "I agree, maybe he'll meet us there?"

Her hand hovered near Shirou, prepared to snatch his arm and drag him along as before.

as written by Script

Blink nodded his head, "A'ight, let's go then."

The crowds grew busier as they drew closer to the walls of the enclosure, and the square that stood before it. A large and imposing crimson gate decorated with golden dragons - a smaller version of the palace's main gate - loomed over the square. Above the gate, a small balcony jutted out from the wall, where a doorway led through. It was here that the Empress made many of her public addresses.

Tugark's size made pushing through the crowd a lot easier than it otherwise would have been for the group of young guild members, and they managed to find a good spot to view the speech underneath a cherry tree, a short distance from where the cordon preventing people being shoved right up to the wall lay.

The cordon was manned by the grand and imposing Dragonwatch - men and women in full plate armour of black and gold, their helmets designed to resemble the heads of dragons. They were armed with traditional weaponry - mostly swords and polearms - and each stood with their heads raised high, disciplined and unresponsive to the civilians around them.

The evening drew on, and still Nao didn't arrive.

"I bet he's working on something stupid like planning a route," Blink said, shaking his head, "The most time efficient way to investigate as many towns as possible on the way north, or something. You'd think the pretty poster boy would know how to have a good time, but you'd be wrong."

as written by Krysis

~Manami Hamasaki~

All day the tent had been busy. Tea leaves and tarot, palms and smoke, stones and crystals Mother Hamasaki read them all. She even did a bit of more exotic type readings (rune stones and casting bones), if the correct coin was placed on her table. With long white hair and wrinkled hands that were almost all that showed from beneath her dusty purple cloak, the kitsune found it easy to portray a wise old crone. She didn't even have to worry about her ears or tails in such a situation, as the appropriate places were naturally hidden. Unfortunately, being in the tent also meant she saw nothing of the festival and so missed all the fun.

After so many humans clogging her nose and mouth with their most desperate hopes and dreams, it was a relief to put up the sign. The sign proclaimed that Mother Hamasaki was resting, and that the booth was closed indefinitely. The reality was that Manami was ready to slip out the back with her riot of golden curls disguising her rust-colored. triangular ears like the fox mask hid her face. The traditional style of her lavender robes hid her three tails, but nothing could hide the chime of bells as she ran to hear the Empress' speech, one hand clutching the pouch tied in her sash so that it did not slide free. The spirits flying north did get her attention briefly, but she tried to ignore them. Once she might have sought to be involved in the fate of the empire, but lately, her goals were simpler.

The square was full of people, but that was no trouble for such a creature as herself, weaving illusions in gaps with barely a thought until she was near the cherry trees, and enjoying slightly fresher air, scented with spring and summer instead of sweat and human. Then there was a scent of something truly 'other' that caught her attention, and she eased through the crowd to be close enough to hear the conversation of the group around the very unusual beast.

The ear on the side closer to Tugark would twitch and swivel to try to catch their words, but otherwise, Manami pretended to be just an ordinary woman.

as written by Sokka

"I bet he is planning the route, he's probably regulating our bathroom breaks too." Shirou said with a slight chuckle.

When they reached the tree Shirou climbed up to one of the thicker lower branches craning out from the tree and sat down in an attempt to get a better view of the speech.

as written by Knosis

Tugark watched as Shirou climbed the tree, then looked down to Hye Ja. "Would you like to sit on my other shoulder, Lady Hye Ja? I can hold you and Master Blink easily enough so you both can see the speech better." He extended his arm down and knelt slightly for her.

as written by CelticCat

Hye Ja smiled at Tugark's offer, accepting with a nod. "Thank you, that would be lovely, Tugark." She nimbly climbed onto the proffered shoulder, with a small cacophony of chiming jewelry. His height really allowed for a better viewpoint, but she was mindful not to shift too much so she wouldn't be too loud next to his ear. "I suppose we'll just have to enjoy the festival all the more on his behalf," she added in reference to Nao.

Back