Travellers on the Queen's Road

full

Travellers on the Queen’s Road

A fairly gritty fantasy setting. No overt character types. Magic takes great effort and is less impressive, magic items are few if at all and the emphasis is on character and storytelling. Influences: Patrick Rothfuss, Joe Abercrombie, Brent Weeks, Peter Brett, Brandon Sanderson et al.

I'm looking for maybe half a dozen solid writers who can work together and write a team who have knowne each other for years, they are a family.

A fantasy tale.

When the Empire of Caymar disintegrated after the Mad Emperor Jartok III, the land became rife with war, plundering reavers and lawless folk. The fierce Ogres of the north, the Svartalfheim and the Koboldin all ran rife and the world was a place of anarchy and ruin.

Out of the ashes of the north-eastern empire, Tir, one of the descendants of the old dukes managed to forge a small haven of peace and mutual protection far away on the eastern coast. Over time this grew into a small kingdom that came to be known as Tirland. The modern Kingdom of Tirland was formed from the amalgamation over many centuries of a number of city states and duchies which were all once part of the empire.

Now the realm extends a hundred miles north and south and four hundred miles westwards to beyond the Usk Mountains. But the kingdom is not without its troubles. The borders are dangerous palaces. Ogres and kobolds still raid from the northern Darkpeaks, Svartalfar from the Dimwoods attack unwary travellers and reavers and brigands plague the roads.

Beyond the borders, numerous small kingdoms, duchies and coalitions emerged. Many of them intent on plunder and conquest. Some attack overtly while others rely on stealth and cunning.
The armies of Tirland are strong, but are spread thinly. And sometimes subtlety and guile can succeed where force of arms would fail.

That’s where the Emera come in.

The Emera are wandering bands of minstrels, players, acrobats and more. They travel the Queen’s roads entertaining and enlightening wherever they go. But some are more than they seem.
Almost one hundred years ago the Queen’s Great grandfather did a great service to the Emera people. The Emera swore an oath of service to the crown and a deal was made. The Emera have the freedom of the Kingdom and, in return, they act as the eyes and ears of the crown, secretly watching, gathering, spying and, upon occasions acting as the hand of the Queen.

You will take the part of members of a band of Emera travellers. You are first and foremost entertainers, but when the Queen calls, you answer your life debt and act.

Notes:

Available Races

NOTE: The Emera is a way of life. A philosophy, as such Emera clans can be drawn from any race or stock. That said, many Emera travelling bands are literally an extended family. We’ll see how you choose and decide which pattern fits when you draw up your characters.

Tirlander – Basic human types with natural colourings form dark to pale skin, black to blond hair, brown to blue eyes.

Fey – At some point in the past, one of your ancestors was Ljósálfar. You may have some traits such as feline eyes, pointed ears or delicate fingers. You may be able to see better than most in the dark, or you may be able to move more stealthily than most. You will most likely be shorter and more slender than average.

Norlander – You are of the rugged, hardy northen stock. You will tend to fairer skin and fairer hair colours with piercing blue eyes. You will be slightly larger and more well-muscled than the average.

Typical Character Templates:
Acrobat: skilled in entertaining with tightrope. Expert at leaping, landing, balance and swinging. In your other role you are very useful at getting over walls, climbing etc.

Conjuror: Stage magician (no real magic in the act). Quick fingers and a sharp mind with a flair for the dramatic. In your other work though you may have some real magical talents. (think small scale effects like petty magic in many games. Small gusts of wind, lighting a candle, moving small objects etc.

Knife Thrower – skilled with blades, accurate to a fault. Could be with bow rather than knife.

Minstrel – musician and songsmith you are good at distractions. – could have some simple low key bardic magic such as inducing moods such as romance, tiredness or anger.

Strongman – incredible feats of strength and endurance – useful in a fight!

Actors – acting out scenes from famous plays or stories. – Acting skills, disguises, costumes and impersonation. (could be supplemented with magic from the conjeror?)

Prestidigitator – slight of hand, card tricks – thieving skills, pick pockets and locks.

Animal handler – trained birds, cats, dogs – could in actuality have minor beast mastery – telepathic linkage and control.

Feel free to come up with alternatives that would feet in this setting.

What you have to do:

Come up with a character concept and post it in your reply. I wont accept everyone I am afraid, so submitting a character is not a guarantee of a place in the game. Its my first ever GM role here, and I want it to work.

Minimum you need to submit

Name of Character
Race
Physical Description
Typical attire
Role in the Troupe
skills and specialities
Background notes
At least two strengths
At least two weaknesses

I'll see how things go with applications, feel free to PM any questions.

Map of Tirland

full

Ogres are pretty much reviled and hated, it would be a challenge. I'll have a think about it. Also, being low fantasy there is not so much of the 'sword of XXX slaying'

I can't think of anything else at the moment, your plot seems pretty fleshed-out. But I'll definitely contact you with ideas if I come up with something.
Just one question, will this be an Epic or a play-by-post RP?

Im still learning so I had assumed play by post till I figure out what Epic means... but I'll go take a look now and get back to you all.

Im still learning so I had assumed play by post till I figure out what Epic means... but I'll go take a look now and get back to you all.
An Epic RP is just a large scaled one. Multiple factions and storylines, generally open world in its exploration. Usually character driven, instead of plot driven.

I am going to keep this one with just the six(ish) characters for now. I might open up Tirland to something larger one day, but not while I have only just got started.

I am interested, I will try and get you my character as soon as I can.

Name of Character: Dimitri and Diana Kane, The Twins
Race: Norlander
Physical Description:
Diana is skinny but very athletic. She has short, dirty blonde, hair, pale skin and aquamarine eyes.
Dimitri is alot bigger then his sister, and a lot stronger too. He, too, has dirty blonde hair with fair skin and aquamarine eyes.
Typical attire:
Diana wears: Black fish net stockings with a red short skirt, a black corset and bracers on her arms along with knee high footwear.
Dimitri wears: Basically the same thing, except he has baggy pants in red and black stripes and no shirt.

Role in the Troupe: Acrobat(s)
Skills and specialties: Tight Rope Balancing, Stacking On top of One another, Parkour, Contortion (Diana Only), Strength (Dimitri)

Background notes: Dimitri and Diana, both fraternal twins, where born into the Kane family of circus performers and magicians. Diana was trained by the famous contortionist Ina Kristofferson ever since she was five. Dimitri, on the other hand, started his training program with Olaf Bak, a well-known strongman, at the age of twelve. When they turned 18, the Kane twins where both sent all the way to the city of Haven for the annual Emeran trials. The succeeded, and now travel the Queen's road with their companions.

At least two strengths:
Diana is a smart girl and very precise with her acrobatics; she always lands on her feet.
Dimitri is a courageous and willful young man who never gives up.

At least two weaknesses:
Diana is a very fragile person, she has thin bones and doesn't heal as fast as others.
Being the giant that he is, Dimitri has trouble infiltrating areas un-noticed.

So.. I have to admit I'm a little deflated as tohow much interest this got. I guess its not quite what people are looking for?

if anyone has any suggestions as to what's wrong with the concept, or if i need to add more depth to the background, please let me know.

I don;t have enough characters to get started at the moment.

I don't think the plot is really a problem, though it does look a little intimidating at a first glance.

If it'll help, I can create another character for you, if there isn't anyone else you think would care to join.

Back