What are your most common recurring character traits?

PhantomSpecter

This probably doesn't apply if you've only ever made or used one character for things, as it's assumed that the traits will remain very similar, but if you like to use a larger cast of characters, do you happen to know which character traits you use that pop up the most?

I know traits most commonly refers to personality traits in roleplay circles, but in the case of this post, physical traits or other details apply as well. Do you add them on purpose, or do these traits sort of worm their way in when you're not expecting it? Is it something that you see as an issue or more of a fun quirk?

One trait I have that tends to reoccur, is that I have a lot of my characters be 'follower' types, rather than ones that take control or command in a situation. Although the way this plays out can vary, with some characters being more competent supporting cast while others are sort of flailing panicky messes, a good number of them are very passive about decision making. It has lead to some interesting situations (the good old, how far is too far?) but can also put roleplays into tricky spots, especially in a collaborative effort where It can get very tiring and sort of take the fun out of things if one person ends up making all the decisions. It's something I need to work on balancing out more.

Unless it conflicts with something specific to the setting and story (in other words, when I can get away with it) and I'm not writing multiple characters in the same story, almost all my characters are left-handed.

Back