What If?

I like writing and if anyone reads this, um this is the level I generally write at. Not POV! I don't like doing 2nd person but it seemed to fit the prompt. But grammar and style-wise, it's pretty similar. So I apologize if it's incorrect. And if you're just here to read a good story, well I hope you enjoy this! And thank you Hannibal ante portas for posting this prompt.

This was it. You were going to tell them. You were going to say those three heavy words to your partner. For six years you held in those words, afraid to shatter what you had with them, but now it was time to share them.

For they were your other half, the one your soul loves, the person that saw you when a case broke you in half, the one you held as they broke from the past that weighed heavily on them. You watched them chew through their pens or pencils mercilessly as they did paperwork. The memories of their nagging as you did not do that paperwork still bring a smile to your face. The rhythm you two danced was one that no one could match, but you two.

So, you were not surprised to see them outside your door that morning.

“Finally, you showed up. You know we don’t get that much time to do this anyway.” You rolled your eyes at their nagging. “I thought I would have to call the cops.” They smirked.

“Good thing there’s some good ones nearby.” You approached them slowly, hands in your black sweater. “Especially since,” You smirked as you quickly took the beanie off their head. “You have to report a theft!” You cried as you ran away.

“You jerk!” They cried as they chased you. You laughed as you dodged through the people on the sidewalk. You ran and ran, not looking behind you, for you felt them follow you. How their eyes trailed every moment, their steps sure as they followed you. Soon you turned into the alley of the bar you two first admitted that something was there. You stopped at the beat-up green door. It wasn’t the most romantic place, but it was yours and theirs. You panted as they came in and tackled you, but held you so that you didn’t fall.

“Oh look, I caught a thief.” You let out a breathless laugh as you turned to face them. They kept their arms around you.

“Is that so? And pray tell, what evidence do you have against me oh great cop?” They smiled at you as they took back their beanie, allowing you to return the embrace as they put it on.

“A treasured beanie and,” They put their arms back around you. “A kiss.” You smiled as you obliged. Kissing was such a childish concept to you. The act of true love’s kiss saving people, healing their woes, but maybe with them, with this person, with your partner, it could be true. You broke apart and gazed at them in wonder.

“I-” They put a finger to your lips.

“Don’t.” Tears pooled their eyes.

“What?”

“Don’t say it. Let’s just enjoy this while we have it.” They insisted and went in for a kiss. You pulled away.

“But, I, have to, no, I need to tell you something.” You shook your head as your chest tightened.

“Then do it there.” They gestured to the green door. “Not here. Let’s just enjoy this now.”

“We’ve been enjoying it for five years! This run, this free time with you, we always enjoy it. For five years we ran after each other, I’m done running.” You gazed into their eyes and took their hands in yours. “I,” Again you were interrupted, but not with a hand, but tears. Tears fell down their eyes as they gripped your hands.

“You know why we’ve been running after each other for five years.”

“Because that’s what we do!” You said with a shaky smile. It was getting hard to breathe. They shook their head violently.

“No, it’s what we did!” They yelled. Your hands trembled as you moved to stop their shaking.

“Then, then we can still do it. We don’t have to stop.” You caressed their face. The skin on their face was as hard and cold as ice.

“But we do.” They stated, their eyes losing their shine. “You do.” You let them go.

“Please don’t say it. I was kidding. We can still run, still have our mornings.” They shook their head.

“We have had the same morning for five years.” You stepped away from them.

“Stop.” You turned away.

“For the past five years, you have been dreaming.”

“Stop.” You couldn’t stop the trembling. You couldn’t stop the pain in your chest.

“Dreaming of the-”

“STOP!” You screamed at them and swung as you turned back around. Anyone else would have flinched, but they didn’t. They couldn’t. A gunshot wound to the abdomen stopped them. “Nonononononono. Please, don’t go.” Slowly you approached them. “I’ll stay here. I don’t have to go.” They shook their head, and just like they did that night in the same alley, their hand caressed your face.

“You’re a great cop.” They smiled. “And I can’t wait for the moment I can say that I love the chief of the precinct.” They said through their tears. You closed your eyes and planted your lips onto theirs. They pulled you close desperately, or maybe you were pulling them. It didn’t matter, because in a moment too soon and unmeasurable, they were gone. It was only you, in the cold alley with a green door.

You went through the door.

That morning instead of a bright crisp winter morning, the storm clouds from the night before cast the city in a hazy gray. Instead of an alley, you were in a cemetery, your new uniform on. Your new medals were the brightest thing in the dreary atmosphere. You stood over a grave, a rose in hand.

“Hey partner.” Tears fell down your face. “Just wanted to tell you, you can finally say that you loved the chief and have all those kinky adventures.” You let out a watery laugh. “And I guess, I can,” Your voice caught as your chest squeezed. “I can say,” More tears flowed down and the weight in your chest was pulling you down. “I can say,” you looked at the grave and fell to your knees. “I love you.” You gasped. Then the weight broke you and you buckled over, hands grasping the ground in front of you. “I LOVE YOU!” You cried out. But there was no reply.

Back