What is your favourite genre to RP in and why?

Stuffies12

So this is a straightforward question, and tagging another one along with it: what's genre would you never RP in and why?

For me, I prefer scifi and modern/slice-of-life genres. Funnily enough, I don't read that much scifi. What I like about the genre more than anything else is its aesthetic. I love the future and I feel the genre really tests how much my imagination can go. Really, anything under a 'future' tag will pique my interest from far future space empires to claustrophobic apocalyptic dystopias.

The SoL genre is less being a genre I like to RP than it is a genre I'm comfortable writing in considering that's where we can draw the most relevance and reference from. There's also the aspect of imagining yourself in a situation you'd never otherwise be in real life which is fun.

Personally, I love to rp fantasy. Anything from magical creatures to faraway worlds & aliens are my jam. I just love how creative it is. Probably part of it is due to my love of reading fantasy, though. :p

Sometimes this includes some scifi, but I normally don't enjoy rping scifi because of my lack of knowledge for it. I am totally all for dystopian worlds, though- those are fun. I don't enjoy very political rps or anything too realistic unless there's a lot to go off of to make it interesting.

Personally, I love to rp fantasy. Anything from magical creatures to faraway worlds & aliens are my jam. I just love how creative it is. Probably part of it is due to my love of reading fantasy, though. :p

Sometimes this includes some scifi, but I normally don't enjoy rping scifi because of my lack of knowledge for it. I am totally all for dystopian worlds, though- those are fun. I don't enjoy very political rps or anything too realistic unless there's a lot to go off of to make it interesting.

I have the same reason for not RPing enough fantasy. I don't know the tropes very well so it makes me stick to caricatures and stereotypes more.

Scifi and fantasy are both pretty great in the end just because of how much freedom you have for creation.

Fantasy has always been my thing. Although, I did some horror/modern/fantasy-esque RP's with some friends (yes, I know that's a strange mix of genres) a long time ago and got a kick out of it.
I like the unexpected, I think. Especially when friends would pull NPC's out of nowhere that had crazy powers, or somehow advance the plot in a very obtuse way that I feel can only be achieved through fantasy-based rules.
I have never tried Sci-fi, to be honest.

I'm going to have to go with the general statement and say I love enjoying fantasy the most. I'm always down to try out tons of other different kinds however. As of lately I've been dabbing in some Sci-Fi RP, more specifically Star Wars, but I am most comfortable in writing fantasy. I grew up playing D&D with my dad and his friends, so I think that had a strong impact on my preference, but of course I still remain open minded

I personally like a good mix of science and unexplained science (magic for all ye who don't breathe the combo) like a good steampunk or late fantasy where stuff like the Renaissance age and the industrial age are quite close by so new ideas are more fine, you can have a mechanic or inventor character, and really there's still the threat of dragons and mermaids.
Here I feel as though people who memorize articles about history, people who read up on how old stuffs made, and people who like the creativity of having a half Minotaur running around with a band of orcs and gnomes all can band together and simple things that are often missed opportunities (i'd say 84% of rpers don't know how to role-play with this) like traveling can be made fun or more opportunistic like gliding around on sky rails like bioshock, or rope launching like spider man through a bandits lair, or riding a bio-mechanical flying wale like its a harradrim elephant. (sorry if I butchered it lotr people)

I don't really have one, but I do have a soft spot for most modern settings regardless of what genre is involved. Like, I'll take a story about wizards if it's set in 2017 because I find the idea of prank videos with actual magic amusing.

"Cheating prank gone supernatural"

Fantasy will always hold a special place in my heart. (After being told unicorns didn't exist, I panicked and questioned this reality we were born into) It's very broad and anything is possible! It's much easier to explain things through 'magic' than it is through science which requires knowledge and logic. Another thing I like roleplaying is romance because loneliness kills me inside! Of course, romance can be inserted in every genre, even horror (ohohoho), and it's rare for people to join an RP solely focused on romance.

I absolutely love horror and gore. Especially when you mix in a bit of comedy as well, dark humour is my personal favourite type of comedy.

Something I would never RP would be Sci-fi (unless it's Star Trek). I'm sorry. The idea of running around with spaceships and technology seems fun but it just doesn't interest me. Also because I've been in an age old war of Sci-fi VS Fantasy with schoolmates and it has been going strong for a long time.

I never expected fantasy to be so popular here. It makes sense. It's a very open genre with its own tropes that make it very identifiable. For anyone that answered fantasy as their favourite genre, could you elaborate on why you like it? Aside from the openness of the genre, what else do you like about it? And why do you think others here like fantasy as opposed to another openly creative genre like scifi?

I never expected fantasy to be so popular here. It makes sense. It's a very open genre with its own tropes that make it very identifiable. For anyone that answered fantasy as their favourite genre, could you elaborate on why you like it? Aside from the openness of the genre, what else do you like about it? And why do you think others here like fantasy as opposed to another openly creative genre like scifi?
I like it, only if it's in a fandom or crossover, because i like to send some characters in a new island full of mythical creatures, or an abandonned kingdom,
romance can be ok, tought i'm not a huge fan of it.. each of us have favorites genres, it's good.

I perfer it because I can be my magical talking wolf with glyphs and wings and people wont mind...that much... and why I like it is the same, I can be a frikin flying wolf mage. people dislike scifi from my view because of the 3 C's you HAVE to get through to play. complexity confusion and context. The complexity of any sci-fi is a given, unless its space opera (think star warses random science) its got to have many different layers to it, simply moving in these worlds relies on entire systems, and if you don't have the proper patience and details, itll lead to an annoying confusion. Lastly once you have figured out all this about how the systems work you have to figure out WHICH system it is, as there are so many different verieties of it. Do I engage the warp drive even if one of my coils is missing or does my rip-fold destroy an entire city by bringing it with me? Do I launch nukes at this alien mist or matter disassembly beams? with fantasy its simple, medieval somewhere and dragons mermaids werewolves and dwarves. How much of the system is what varies, not the system itself.

Genre I adore: Science Fiction.

It's the Final Frontier. It's the space beyond the feeble and frail cradle we call home. Sufficiently advanced technology opens possibilities and situations that more contemporary genres of yesteryear struggled to portray properly. Questions like "what measure is a non-human" thrive in science fiction. It's also one of the most flexible genres in terms of realism. It can handle anything from the most ardent of realistic portrayals (hard sci-fi) to what is essentially space magic (soft sci-fi) and still fall within the umbrella of science fiction. You can mix and match elements from both to create a blend of wonder that is grounded within our perspective. Not to mention, most of the ground rules of other genres have been written. An elf is an elf, a dwarf is a dwarf, and a human is a human, and if you want to buck that trend, you have to spend a painful amount of time doing so that most don't normally want to put up with.

Sci-Fi doesn't give you this easy out. You can't just rely on standard race tropes. Fans of the genre will rip you apart for doing that, it stands against what science fiction is. You have to explain everything you have, even if it's space magic, you still have to explain how that space magic works. It's one of the more challenging genres to write in because it forces you to explain the things you use, at least to some rudimentary degree. Put in the effort, though, and you can create an incredibly rich, vibrant, and unique universe, filled with endless mystery, wonder, danger, and thrill.

Genre I despise: Slice Of Life.

I went through high school. I have a job. I go to university. I don't want to write these things out. There is nothing interesting about "my character went to the bathroom, took a shit, did her makeup, and left the house." I aim to have each scene I craft have real meaning to it, real choices, real consequences. I write to escape the mundane, not embrace it. I dream of princesses using ice magic to protect their comrades in arms as they adventure to defeat tyrannical gods. I dream of the last scraps of human civilization clinging to life and slitting each other's throats over arguments about whose utopia is the most pure. I dream of explorers reaching out into space, and discovering beauty and danger around every corner. I use my stories to ask hard, difficult, and complex questions about humanity, about life, about emotions, and so on.

So why in the fuck would I want to go and throw all of that potential away, to write about... The mundane, and nothing else?

Well said my good sir, well said.
Genre I adore: Science Fiction.

It's the Final Frontier. It's the space beyond the feeble and frail cradle we call home. Sufficiently advanced technology opens possibilities and situations that more contemporary genres of yesteryear struggled to portray properly. Questions like "what measure is a non-human" thrive in science fiction. It's also one of the most flexible genres in terms of realism. It can handle anything from the most ardent of realistic portrayals (hard sci-fi) to what is essentially space magic (soft sci-fi) and still fall within the umbrella of science fiction. You can mix and match elements from both to create a blend of wonder that is grounded within our perspective. Not to mention, most of the ground rules of other genres have been written. An elf is an elf, a dwarf is a dwarf, and a human is a human, and if you want to buck that trend, you have to spend a painful amount of time doing so that most don't normally want to put up with.

Sci-Fi doesn't give you this easy out. You can't just rely on standard race tropes. Fans of the genre will rip you apart for doing that, it stands against what science fiction is. You have to explain everything you have, even if it's space magic, you still have to explain how that space magic works. It's one of the more challenging genres to write in because it forces you to explain the things you use, at least to some rudimentary degree. Put in the effort, though, and you can create an incredibly rich, vibrant, and unique universe, filled with endless mystery, wonder, danger, and thrill.

Genre I despise: Slice Of Life.

I went through high school. I have a job. I go to university. I don't want to write these things out. There is nothing interesting about "my character went to the bathroom, took a shit, did her makeup, and left the house." I aim to have each scene I craft have real meaning to it, real choices, real consequences. I write to escape the mundane, not embrace it. I dream of princesses using ice magic to protect their comrades in arms as they adventure to defeat tyrannical gods. I dream of the last scraps of human civilization clinging to life and slitting each other's throats over arguments about whose utopia is the most pure. I dream of explorers reaching out into space, and discovering beauty and danger around every corner. I use my stories to ask hard, difficult, and complex questions about humanity, about life, about emotions, and so on.

So why in the fuck would I want to go and throw all of that potential away, to write about... The mundane, and nothing else?

My favourite genres are post apocalyptic and sci-fi, personally. Too be honest, I don't know exactly why but I just do. I also love a little bit of mystery and horror. And alien/space RP's. :3

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll do most things romance, but no mature stuff. I think I'd like to do more horror or thriller based stuff in the future, but I'm not really sure how it'd be done to be honest. I've never done Sci-Fi before, but the more I think about it the more appealing it gets! Fantasy is the one I've done the most.

I like mystery, historical, fantasy, and even slice-of-life on occasion.

Mystery because I love solving and creating puzzles and seeing how the characters can react in certain situations.
Fantasy because of the sheer amount of creativity and world-building it can contain, without having to worry about it being 'realistic', for the most part.
And a slice-of-life makes good character development in a more normal setting.

@Nilum I think you've put it best. As someone who loves worldbuilding the almost endless possibilities sci-fi gives always excite me. I think you've also helped me realised part of the reason I don't participate in fantasy RPs much. A lot of the rules and tropes are already set so there's not a lot of room to deviate from them.

My favourite genres are post apocalyptic and sci-fi, personally. Too be honest, I don't know exactly why but I just do. I also love a little bit of mystery and horror. And alien/space RP's. :3

Post apocalyptic RPs are awesome! Though I'm just glad to see there's a few more sci-fi lovers here.

I like magic of any sort and then basically... Action.
I like a good fight honestly its fun to see what people can come up with. (Within reason)

Back