What's the deal with Mobile Games?

Yui

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't get why people don't like them. I can understand that a lot of games are there are repetitive or if it's just not your thing, but a lot of the time the majority seems to hate on them just because it's a thing. In my opinion, there are good games out there for Android and IOS if you just look. Some good examples for Android (I say Android just because that's what I have) are these:

• Evocreo
  • Final Fantasy Mobius
  • Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
  • Beyond the Bounds
  • War of Crown
  • Fantasy War Tactics
Those are some of the games I have. I don't play mobile games as much as I do with console gaming but I still play them a lot. This is probably not that great a start of a thread, but I'm not good with these. Leave opinions on mobile games here if you want. I'm a bit curious on what other people think.

I usually play one mobile game at a time. Right now I 've been playing Animation throwdown. It's a card game that combines cards from Futurama, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers and American Dad.

The only real issue I have with mobile games is that a lot of them want you to pay when you get to certain check-points without the option to buy the whole game at once. Embarrassingly enough, I play a lot of otome games on mobile and it's a real problem in the genre.

The only real issue I have with mobile games is that a lot of them want you to pay when you get to certain check-points without the option to buy the whole game at once. Embarrassingly enough, I play a lot of otome games on mobile and it's a real problem in the genre.
Yeah, I can understand that.

I personally don't like having to use touch controls, and I feel like a lot of phone games are really simplistic in design and rely heavily on microtransactions. The only one I've really managed to get into is Fire Emblem Heroes, although I've felt a little burnt out on that one recently. I was into Final Fantasy Record Keeper for a while, but all of the limited character events got draining after I missed out on my favorite character in the series and knew that I wouldn't get another shot at getting her for a long time, if at all. With most games on other platforms, I pay once and have all content available to me whenever I'm ready for it, which makes it a lot easier for me to get into the game.

I personally don't have a problem with mobile gaming as a concept. Everybody has a certain attachment to gaming and sometimes, that attachment boils down to pulling up stuff on their phone to waste a couple of minutes while they use the toilet. To each their own.

And yeah, FTP stuff is also a bit of a red flag, but that's also done through other platforms, not just mobile. It is still seen quite frequently on mobile, but still, I prefer to see it as an issue in it of itself rather than solely connected to mobile gaming.

I personally don't have a problem with mobile gaming as a concept. Everybody has a certain attachment to gaming and sometimes, that attachment boils down to pulling up stuff on their phone to waste a couple of minutes while they use the toilet. To each their own.

And yeah, FTP stuff is also a bit of a red flag, but that's also done through other platforms, not just mobile. It is still seen quite frequently on mobile, but still, I prefer to see it as an issue in it of itself rather than solely connected to mobile gaming.
That's a good point to bring up, it definitely isn't exclusive to mobile. However, like you said, it's a lot more frequent in mobile games than on other platforms. I don't mind F2P inherently, it just comes down to how it's handled. The whole stamina system with microtransactions included along with gacha-style gameplay is really popular in mobile games these days, which is why I associate it with them. There are plenty of mobile games that follow other F2P methods as well, and those are ones I don't really have as much of a problem with. It just comes down to the type of gaming experience people prefer, really. Nothing wrong with liking a certain type of game, it's all about personal preference.

I don't mind mobile gaming, as long as the game is fun. Kingdom Hearts Unchained Key, Fire Emblem Heroes, and hopefully soon - Fate/Grand Order. But most games beyond those are terrible and a waste of time honestly.

My opinion on this isn't very strong, as I like SOME games for android.

The issues I see with android gaming usually fall under three categories: Freemium, "The" mobile mmo formula, and just plain boring.

Games I actively would support would be Badlands, the older zenonia games (The new ones were meh, and Zenonia S was the embodiement of the MMO formula being used to death), Redcon, Hoplite, Cartoon wars, Pixel Dungeon and the mods/variants (Yet Another was hands-down my favorite), and Buriedbornes. These games held my interest because they had a lot of gameplay, didn't annoy you with ads, and weren't the god-awful mmo formula. Zenonia and Redcon had story and all that, but the game mechanics were also very fun (It is the core of the game, after all). Other entries were pure gameplay. Buriedbornes was an old school game that had very unique mechanics, Pixel dungeon was the pinnacle of roguelike and had a ton of fan-made variants, Cartoon wars was honestly very entertaining, Hoplite had a challenging chesslike style, and badlands was a nice platformer that had ambiance as well as nice mechanics.

... Now for what I deem to be a shit android game. To start off, and sorry if you disagree, but Square Enix ports, particularly final fantasy. The game is there, yes. The interface (and art, if it was remade) is some OpenGL cheaply made abortion though, they didn't even try to make it look nice.

269288-Head.jpg

There are many games that just don't fit my interest, or I find just boring/worthless (*ahem* minecraft spinoffs). However, one trope that sickens me is the MMO formula on a lot of games. This is usually more of a jrpg android mmo formula, but I also include Game of War. Ya know, the game that makes ads that don't even begin to show the real game, spending millions of dollars to deceive everyone to play a shit game that influenced this cancerous trope.

The plain boring section eats up a good 98% of google play from my viewpoint, they just aren't fun. You play a spinoff cookie clicker for a bit, whatever, play a half baked rpg with anime tiddies shoved in your face, whatever. That isn't entertaining. For the most part, you are better off emulating a handheld device like GameBoy Advance, but you do find that magical android game that isn't boring once in a while.

My opinion on this isn't very strong, as I like SOME games for android.

The issues I see with android gaming usually fall under three categories: Freemium, "The" mobile mmo formula, and just plain boring.

Games I actively would support would be Badlands, the older zenonia games (The new ones were meh, and Zenonia S was the embodiement of the MMO formula being used to death), Redcon, Hoplite, Cartoon wars, Pixel Dungeon and the mods/variants (Yet Another was hands-down my favorite), and Buriedbornes. These games held my interest because they had a lot of gameplay, didn't annoy you with ads, and weren't the god-awful mmo formula. Zenonia and Redcon had story and all that, but the game mechanics were also very fun (It is the core of the game, after all). Other entries were pure gameplay. Buriedbornes was an old school game that had very unique mechanics, Pixel dungeon was the pinnacle of roguelike and had a ton of fan-made variants, Cartoon wars was honestly very entertaining, Hoplite had a challenging chesslike style, and badlands was a nice platformer that had ambiance as well as nice mechanics.

... Now for what I deem to be a shit android game. To start off, and sorry if you disagree, but Square Enix ports, particularly final fantasy. The game is there, yes. The interface (and art, if it was remade) is some OpenGL cheaply made abortion though, they didn't even try to make it look nice.

269288-Head.jpg

There are many games that just don't fit my interest, or I find just boring/worthless (*ahem* minecraft spinoffs). However, one trope that sickens me is the MMO formula on a lot of games. This is usually more of a jrpg android mmo formula, but I also include Game of War. Ya know, the game that makes ads that don't even begin to show the real game, spending millions of dollars to deceive everyone to play a shit game that influenced this cancerous trope.

The plain boring section eats up a good 98% of google play from my viewpoint, they just aren't fun. You play a spinoff cookie clicker for a bit, whatever, play a half baked rpg with anime tiddies shoved in your face, whatever. That isn't entertaining. For the most part, you are better off emulating a handheld device like GameBoy Advance, but you do find that magical android game that isn't boring once in a while.
While I never tried the square enix ports (or any mobile port for that matter), I can see what you mean. While I do find myself playing mobile games a lot at times, I mostly use my tablet for rhythm games such as Cytus and Lanota, reading, or some jrpgs. The best jrpgs you can mobile would definitely have to be the Kemco games. Some are free, others you have to buy, but they're all full offline games, each one with good stories and characters.

Kemco, the ones that did Machine Knight? That game was very fun. Zenonia 3 will always be my favorite mobile jrpg, but Gamevil took it off playstore a long time ago.

Kemco, the ones that did Machine Knight? That game was very fun. Zenonia 3 will always be my favorite mobile jrpg, but Gamevil took it off playstore a long time ago.
You should check out other Kemco titles such as Antiquia Lost. Been a while since I played that one, but I remember the main character being a slime girl of all things and that she was most favorite character out of the others.

You should check out other Kemco titles such as Antiquia Lost. Been a while since I played that one, but I remember the main character being a slime girl of all things and that she was most favorite character out of the others.
The only mobile games I play anymore is GBA emulation, but thanks for the recommendation.

I'm alright with mobile games if it is done right with proper mircrotransaction setups. Only games I played on there is mostly Square Enix Games and Geocaching games (Ingress and Pokémon GO). Some people don't like it due to abuse of microtransactions, touch screen controls (maybe better with larger screens like tablets), and straight up repetitiveness :/

I don’t have anything against mobile games other than the fact that you almost always have to pay to get different things in the game. Want this new thing? Pay $5. Want a better gun? Pay $7.50. It gets really annoying.

Back