Who's Who around the Circle

Luxin

The Duke
Benefactor
Just a thread to show each other what we look like. I've seen it on other sites, and it was always kind of a nifty thing to do. I'll start, and with my Facebook profile picture, no less.

18767368_10156156054871258_4752158198394766854_n.jpg

Before you ask, no I'm not the horse. I'm the jackass riding on the horse, who is much less photogenic.

Thats some kind of historical re-enacting right Luxin? Are you wearing chainmail? I dont see a sword tho... In any case, your cute! :) Be even cuter in a plate, like a proper knight on a white horse! XOXO I only ridden a horse once in my life, vhen I was a kid, in a local zoo, and it almost tossed me off :p Wel actualy I doubt it vas a fully grown horse, either. Always told my-self that one day I'd get around to learning to ride a horse properly, but that day hasnt come yet. Not that theres much oportunity to learn that vhere I live, aniway.

I always use my pics for avi's, so thats me to the left of this text (about 3 months old pic). And yes, smiling for the camera has never been something I like to do, since I'm always convinced I'l turn out silly if I do.

Tiko, my face may make babies cry, but you in that hat makes women go sterile and men wish they'd never been born.

And Nat, I am, in fact, wearing chainmail in the image. I wove it myself(purchased the rings cause I'm a lazy fuckwit) over the course of ~250 hours. All stainless steel, so it is armor grade. As for the picture itself, I was simply at my parent's house and decided I'd garb up and get in the saddle. I've ridden on and off for about 15 years or so now(really just for pleasure, nothing competitive), but less as the years have passed by. As for wearing plate armor, I don't have any, and it's heavy as all getout. What you see in the picture runs about 45 lbs, and if I were to wear plate properly, I'd add another 110 to what's already there(very heavy). Plus, I prefer the mobility of maille armor anyways, so it's unlikely I'll ever gad about in full knightly armor(though historians are now seeing that many knights wore mail coats and surcoats beneath their tunics and heraldry, save for the few who could afford the plate armor).

Also, thanks for the compliment. I don't know enough people in my area who I don't work with, so I don't usually get people saying such things. Personally, I think I look a bit like the actor who played Stannis Baratheon in the Game of Thrones television series, because smiling was not on the docket with the sun in my face that day.

Tiko, my face may make babies cry, but you in that hat makes women go sterile and men wish they'd never been born.

And Nat, I am, in fact, wearing chainmail in the image. I wove it myself(purchased the rings cause I'm a lazy fuckwit) over the course of ~250 hours. All stainless steel, so it is armor grade. As for the picture itself, I was simply at my parent's house and decided I'd garb up and get in the saddle. I've ridden on and off for about 15 years or so now(really just for pleasure, nothing competitive), but less as the years have passed by. As for wearing plate armor, I don't have any, and it's heavy as all getout. What you see in the picture runs about 45 lbs, and if I were to wear plate properly, I'd add another 110 to what's already there(very heavy). Plus, I prefer the mobility of maille armor anyways, so it's unlikely I'll ever gad about in full knightly armor(though historians are now seeing that many knights wore mail coats and surcoats beneath their tunics and heraldry, save for the few who could afford the plate armor).

Also, thanks for the compliment. I don't know enough people in my area who I don't work with, so I don't usually get people saying such things. Personally, I think I look a bit like the actor who played Stannis Baratheon in the Game of Thrones television series, because smiling was not on the docket with the sun in my face that day.

Wel, I'm a simple woman, I see a guy whos active, something more then a couch-potato, and I compliment! :) Way too few of those these days...

Why do so many ppl think plate armor is heavy? Its not, actualy. A typical knight's battle suit of plate armor vas about 30-35kg in weigt (same as a modern tac-vest + weapon + ammunition + gear, for any frontline soldier). Only heavy plates the knights used, wer the "jousting plates" they used vhile on tournaments. Those culd weigt up to 60kilos, haveing more layers of steel plating on critical areas for extra protection. But they didnt use that in a battle (imagine haveing to fight vith that kind of weigt on you - not fun).

Dont get me vrong - 30-so kilos is stil prety heavy, but its not that much of a handicap, especialy if the weigt is distributed to the hips, like a proper plate armor is suposed to be. For a wel-conditioned person, they wuld barely be slowed down, and knights wer nothing if not conditioned to wear it like a second skin.

Aniway, nice job on making that chainmail :) . 250 hours is a LOT of work, personaly I'd just order a custom-made titanium one, so I'm tehnicaly more lazy then you lol XD (not that I'd have time for a projekt like that, way too busy vith work/hobbys/training). Is it proper riveted chain, or just butted? And wheres the sword? ;)

I don't think I'd be very good for wearing a suit that heavy with the restricted movement it would provide. At least with modern armoring for front-line soldiers, what they wear is designed to still allow for a high amount of mobility for the amount of weight and protection being added. That, and with the weight being compared between full tactical gear with weaponry(for the modern soldier) and simply the weight of the armor itself(for the knight), I'd still say it's beefy. Add on the 12-14lb shield(6-7kg), and then a sword(4lb) or mace(6lb), and you're simply making more weight for a man to move with.

I'm actually planning my next piece(which is so much more complex that it's honestly a bit disgusting[combination of complex design+complex weave+scalemail portions+5 different metals]) which will include titanium and aluminum. I wouldn't say the next one will be as structurally strong as the one I've made here(since this one is all steel), but it'll look so much better. It's going to be an elven style set of armor, and very, very fancy-looking, but that's a project that will likely span the next 5 or so years, on and off.

As for the construction of what I have now, it's simple butted steel. I plan on eventually going through and spot welding the rings shut(because I do not relish the idea of riveting it), but beyond that, it's essentially complete. In regards to me bearing a sword, I don't have one of my own yet, or, rather, not one that I can call my own truly. When i get one made for myself, then I'll bear it accordingly, but until then, I either won't bear one, or I'll bear mock pieces for the aesthetic.

And I am military, so i would certainly hope I'm better off than a couch potato.

And Tiko, I didn't say it made you sterile. Other women, sure. And I simply have to assume that Dash was either super drunk or only semi-conscious. ;)

Eh, Why not give it a whirl. Those who RP with me already know me because of my Epic you tube playlist anyways. Probably an odd close up, but its my Facebook profile pic.View attachment 1432

I don't think I'd be very good for wearing a suit that heavy with the restricted movement it would provide. At least with modern armoring for front-line soldiers, what they wear is designed to still allow for a high amount of mobility for the amount of weight and protection being added. That, and with the weight being compared between full tactical gear with weaponry(for the modern soldier) and simply the weight of the armor itself(for the knight), I'd still say it's beefy. Add on the 12-14lb shield(6-7kg), and then a sword(4lb) or mace(6lb), and you're simply making more weight for a man to move with.

I'm actually planning my next piece(which is so much more complex that it's honestly a bit disgusting[combination of complex design+complex weave+scalemail portions+5 different metals]) which will include titanium and aluminum. I wouldn't say the next one will be as structurally strong as the one I've made here(since this one is all steel), but it'll look so much better. It's going to be an elven style set of armor, and very, very fancy-looking, but that's a project that will likely span the next 5 or so years, on and off.

As for the construction of what I have now, it's simple butted steel. I plan on eventually going through and spot welding the rings shut(because I do not relish the idea of riveting it), but beyond that, it's essentially complete. In regards to me bearing a sword, I don't have one of my own yet, or, rather, not one that I can call my own truly. When i get one made for myself, then I'll bear it accordingly, but until then, I either won't bear one, or I'll bear mock pieces for the aesthetic.

And I am military, so i would certainly hope I'm better off than a couch potato.

And Tiko, I didn't say it made you sterile. Other women, sure. And I simply have to assume that Dash was either super drunk or only semi-conscious. ;)

Its also not that restrictive in movements. The only ones which are, are poorly-crafted cheap copys that are "standardized" for a broader varyeti of body types. So they make alot of compromises. A real plate armor is tailored to each person, custom made, especialy to acount for the joints of the individual its made for. Oh and shields didnt weigt 6-7 kg, at least not medieval kite shields. A Roman Scutum, maybe, but not knight shields. 2 kg, tops. And a arming sword/mace is both 1-1.5 kg, so, its stil not that much more. Below 40 kg, for sure. Not a in-considerable weigt, but manageable for a strong individual. I participated in a historical battle re-enactments in Italy, couple years ago with my bf, had a chance to try on a full plate, sword and shield - no big deal. I culd stil run in it, and contort to a decent degree. Granted I am in-shape, but I dont see it as that much of a burden for a decently strong person vith good cardio. And if your used to carrying around a tac-vest + all the other gear, you'l be able to handle a plate suit + sword and shield. One thing I wil say tho, they are NOT fun to wear vhen its hot outsyde :p . You get cooked alive insyde!

Yes, butted mail is prety much useless as far as functionality gos, it wuldnt stop a kitchen knife, since the rings wuld just expand on a stab. As far as buying your own sword, check out this site https://www.battlemerchant.com/Swords:::1.html?MODsid1=827d6334e86e29e616f2075d87d47550 , I ordered several blades from them alredy, over the years, they make very good stuff. And not that blunted shit, either, each sword they make is a fuly functional weapon, faithfuly recreated, sharpened and made from hardened steel. I got a pair of Kukri daggers, a pair of chinese Butterfly swords, a wakizashi, and a katana (cheap one, granted, a quality katana is waaaay outsyde my budget lol). I got a thing for oriental blades.

Aniway, I'm sure your next piece wil be structuraly stronger then butted mail (since prety much evrything is stronger then that :D ). Elven armor? I look forvard to seeing the results! Not sure about making it a scale mail tho, those are prety restrictive, especialy for lateral twisting movements of the body. I'd sugest sticking to chainmail (properly spot-welded or riveted ofc), vith some added plates atop. Prety much something like Lorica Segmentata, or something like that.

Last edited:
Who needs a thread for this?
You have Avatars for a reason.

I swear mine is not photo-shopped in the slightest.

Back