World Building Advice: Factions and Guilds

xWynnex

Cool Cool.
So I'm building a massive RP for a group of friends, but I'm stuck at how to begin building the actual guilds and factions set inside of the world itself. I can create the actual world and universe and history behind it, but once I start dividing up the actual groups for the setting, I hit a wall.

Any advice on how to get started when building groups/factions in an RP universe??

I am by no accounts a genius at RP such as this, but I would be happy to offer some of my opinions that may be of use while creating your factions. One thing that may help you start your factions is to decide exactly what the purpose of each planned faction is going to be or what their goal is. Once you have decided this, you may be able to figure out their relationships with the other factions which tends to be a big step in the right direction when it comes to building this elaborate setup.

Another thing that may help is incorporating these factions and guilds directly into the history or world that you make. This might just give you the base you need to start building from the ground up.

These are just a few ideas, but I hope that they may help you find the answer that you are looking for. I wish you good luck on this fantastic project that you have made for yourself!

I am by no accounts a genius at RP such as this, but I would be happy to offer some of my opinions that may be of use while creating your factions. One thing that may help you start your factions is to decide exactly what the purpose of each planned faction is going to be or what their goal is. Once you have decided this, you may be able to figure out their relationships with the other factions which tends to be a big step in the right direction when it comes to building this elaborate setup.

Another thing that may help is incorporating these factions and guilds directly into the history or world that you make. This might just give you the base you need to start building from the ground up.

These are just a few ideas, but I hope that they may help you find the answer that you are looking for. I wish you good luck on this fantastic project that you have made for yourself!

Thanks for the advice! The factions and guilds were already incorporated into the history, but I like the idea of having a set goal for each faction. The only concern I have is risking some of the free-roam aspect of the setting by doing that.
Any advice on how to balance that kind if a structure?

Thanks for the advice! The factions and guilds were already incorporated into the history, but I like the idea of having a set goal for each faction. The only concern I have is risking some of the free-roam aspect of the setting by doing that.
Any advice on how to balance that kind if a structure?

Perhaps the limitation of guild or faction action can be established by laws set upon them by some sort of higher order. Maybe a council of sorts. That way they are not able to just plainly attack a member of an opposing guild. Thus the different members of different guilds aren't kept from performing their jobs or bounties.

I think that the first thing to do would be to decide why that guild/faction exists. If its something like a thieves guild, then their main goal should be to facilitate the stable income of their members, and everything else would be built around that. They wouldn't really have a reason to fight anyone else, unless it was the guards or some other thieves guild encroaching on their territory. On the other hand, if two factions were dramatically opposed, like a good aligned church and a sect of demon worshipping cultists, then they should have clearly defined boundaries to keep them from fighting, with skirmishes often breaking out. Ex, cultists are too well hidden for the church to just march in and wipe them out, but paladins are constantly searching for and eliminating their hideouts. Think about it from the leader's point of view too. If two kingdoms that hate each other are equally matched, logically consider how much that the rulers would be willing to invest in opposing each other. If starting a war would mean famine and economic collapse, then there probably wouldn't be war. Unless your king/tyrant/ruling council are crazy. Then you can pretty much do whatever you want.

Generally though, guilds are much more free form, with each member joining for their own benefit. Other types of factions are much more tightly knit, with Orders and Sects often having some sort of overarching philosophy or trait that ties it together. Clans work for the benefit of the family, and Churches serve their gods. Nations serve the ruler, which is often more than just one person, since even a king needs the support of nobles/army/influential people.

Back