Status
Not open for further replies.
The man and woman looked at Triss pointedly.

"Yet another," said the woman.

The man tilted his head slightly. "No surprise. They always come in groups, don't they?"

"I do so wish we were so lucky."

"I'm not so sure. I enjoy the factor of the unknown. Been ages since anything like it."

"I can't say I feel the same."

Though they had acknowledged Triss, they certainly didn't seem to be talking to her.

As for the coin, it appeared similar to an American dollar, though designs were unusual. The side that was evidently heads sported a scroll, sword, and key on top of each other. The other side had a sort of winged statue, with the words "Columbia" and "1900."

@Takumi @York @Minerva

The man began moving his tri-pod, setting it up so that it pointed toward the water. He tried to direct Gentaro so that he would line up nicely with a passing blimp. "Do any pose you'd like, sir!"

@Capri

The policemen eyed the group as they moved to pass by, certainly looking more intense than any regular policemen on duty. The sounds of the Arcade were far from anything akin to electronica and instead old-timey American voices were chattering all about. Mini theaters were offering views of history and funny skits, though all of these cost money to view.

A man near the back of the Arcade was calling for volunteers for a strength test, offering a prize to any who could beat the record made by the strong-man of Columbia. Beside a hammer and pressure plate stood a muscly man who was flexing for onlookers.

@Ver @Josh @Krieg

GENTARO KISARAGI
@Atomic Knight

Gentaro crossed his arms and gave a triumphant smile. This pose encapsulated what he was as a person, so that's why he chose it.

Yeah, he thought the pose was brimming with youth.​

The man took a couple quick shots and beckoned Gentaro over to him. "Thank you very much, sir! Very few out there with your look." He tossed Gentaro a coin before picking up his camera and moving to catch more interesting individuals.

@Capri

"No shit," Jianyu said equally as quietly to Cullen. "This place feels like a playground for rich people..." Snobby and greedy, the lot of them. Jianyu didn't like it one bit. Though with one group already off to the arcade... "Ooh, the Upper Boardwalk sounds like a good place to get some bearings. Thanks mister!" She'd try to leave quickly, in case he tried to sell them anything more. Even if she had the right currency, she didn't want to waste it in this city.

@Atomic Knight

GENTARO KISARAGI
@Atomic Knight

Gentaro gave his “your welcome”s to the photographer and left. He was kinda disappointed it was what this world’s currency was called and not an actual silver eagle, but it’s money.

He ran over to Cullen, who needed money, and called out to him.

“Oi! Cullen!” Gentaro called out, before reaching him and panting. He caught his breath before speaking again.

“I got this, some guy gave it to me so I could pose for a photograph,” he said, holding out the Silver Eagle, “It’s the money here, I think,”

"Sorry, mate," Cullen said to Gentaro. "She's already decided to move on." He gestured to Jianyu with his thumb and went to follow her.

They passed by Senna and Blake as they made their way up the stairs and through a revolving metal grate. It seemed this was the gift shop the man had been talking about, for various things were in their way, just begging to be bought, including dolls, figurines, and posters. Most prominent were posters of a man known as "Father Comstock" who seemed to also be called the "Prophet."

"Not a good look for this place," Cullen said.

Beyond was the Upper Boardwalk, where even more miscellaneous stands were. There was a great view of the beach below, where it was clear the water hit some kind of edge that went straight down. It seemed this place was pretty high in the sky. On the far end of the boardwalk was a ticket booth selling rides on some kind of blimp.

@Gummi Bunnies @Neko Shogun @Capri @Yun Lee

The man tilted his head slightly. "No surprise. They always come in groups, don't they?"

"I'm not so sure. I enjoy the factor of the unknown. Been ages since anything like it."

Though they had acknowledged Triss, they certainly didn't seem to be talking to her.

As for the coin, it appeared similar to an American dollar, though designs were unusual. The side that was evidently heads sported a scroll, sword, and key on top of each other. The other side had a sort of winged statue, with the words "Columbia" and "1900."

@Takumi @York @Minerva

So they were 700 years in the future... roughly. Columbia must be the name of this new magocracy in the sky. Was Columbia some deity?

heir way of speaking was a bit odd. Did they simply see them as tourists, or did they know more than it seemed? She didn't quite know what to make or say to their observation, having stood back as Emily went and had her turn. Instead she took a curious look at the coin they handed Emily.

@Atomic Kinght @York @Minerva

"It's very pretty..." Triss said, breaking the silence. "Very well minted."

The coin was tails again.

"I did not expect it this time either," said the man.

The woman put a second mark under tails. "They are not from around here."

"They certainly are not."

"And they are only here."

"For now, anyway."

The woman waved Emily off, letting her keep the coin

@Takumi @York
Well, this was new. Everything seemed to be more high tech than what Triss was used to. A flying city? Maybe with magic, but it wasn't true in her world. The clothing was out of place as well. She had heard Ciri tell stories of something similar to this, but even her words were off.

Triss stepped towards something more familiar. Common coins.

@York @Takumi
Their way of speaking was a bit odd. Did they simply see them as tourists, or did they know more than it seemed? She didn't quite know what to make or say to their observation, having stood back as Emily went and had her turn. Instead she took a curious look at the coin they handed Emily.

@Atomic Kinght @York @Minerva

@Takumi @York @Minerva

The man began moving his tri-pod, setting it up so that it pointed toward the water. He tried to direct Gentaro so that he would line up nicely with a passing blimp. "Do any pose you'd like, sir!"

@Capri

The policemen eyed the group as they moved to pass by, certainly looking more intense than any regular policemen on duty. The sounds of the Arcade were far from anything akin to electronica and instead old-timey American voices were chattering all about. Mini theaters were offering views of history and funny skits, though all of these cost money to view.

A man near the back of the Arcade was calling for volunteers for a strength test, offering a prize to any who could beat the record made by the strong-man of Columbia. Beside a hammer and pressure plate stood a muscly man who was flexing for onlookers.

@Ver @Josh @Krieg
Emily Hayes
@Takumi @Atomic Knight @Minerva

The result was... A little surprising, yet, somehow it felt right. Regardless of what she had seen before, Emily had a tendency to pick the least likely option, as she favored seemingly impossible odds. It was no doubt a key reason why she had become the kind of person she had as a Stonekeeper.

uBu9KTL.png

"Thank you." She said, pausing to look down at the coin, taking note of the year and the word 'Columbia'.

Seeing that both Azura and Triss were also peering at the coin, she angled it better, allowing both to inspect it on their own. The coin didn't seem very old, which meant they were currently in the early 20th century, as opposed to the 21st century, where she had come from.

Looking up at the pair, she considered what they said, putting a hand to her chin, then smiled again, a bit sheepishly this time.

"Can I ask you what your names are?" She said.

While the chances were slim, it was possible the pair either were who they were looking for, or at least knew something about the people she was helping find. After that, it was a simple matter of breaking them out of this loop.

Loop.

Now that was a thought; this whole situation, apparently at some point things would return to where they started. So far though, they have yet to reach it. Perhaps that was something to explore later.​

"Father Comstock, huh? I'd say he may be who we're looking for with his name plastered all over, but...usually anyone pulling shit like that is just a fucking egomaniac." Add the messiah complex that usually came from these big name religious brands and you had "piece of shit" written all over.

At least they got some more info. A flying city, huh? That explains all the rich fucks around. Probably thought they were too good for the masses so they just took off. Bastards. "A blimp ride sounds sick," she said as Gentaro brought it up. "Maybe we'll get even more info on a ride?"

@Atomic Knight @Capri @Gummi Bunnies @Neko Shogun

❝ Y'know... a bird-eye's view would be a good start for this. Seconded then. ❞ Blake agreed. Better than running around the place with no clue on what to do. He figured to put his thoughts out loud since well, they all had to work together, and he had a feeling that Senna would see no problem with this.

@Atomic Knight @Capri @Yun Lee @Neko Shogun

The pair seemed like they were not going to answer Emily, but eventually the woman spoke up. "We are where we want to be."

"When we want to be," the man added.

"Though, there are recent limitations."

"Intriguing, but one just needs some time to think on it."

"What an awfully funny thing to say."

"Isn't it?"

"You know what I think, brother?"

"I can guarantee that I do."

"I think they should follow the music."

"Call it a prelude of things to come."

@Takumi @York @Minerva

"The blimp's probably more than a quid, mate," Cullen said.

As he said this, policemen were starting to shuffle in from the gift shop entrance. They walked quickly through the boardwalk and toward the ticket booths. "Everyone, there have been some developments that require some changes for ticket sales!" A couple men were carrying in what appeared to be wooden barriers that read "Police, Do Not Cross, Columbia Police Authority."

"All proceeding sales will require routine searches and proper identification!"

View attachment 6476

"Yep, just dandy," Touma only said when Clark asked if he was good. Admittedly, the boy froze up earlier when the natives of this world seemed to realize how out of place Touma was, as others in the team were probably soon learning for themselves as well, but it wasn't fear that made him pause necessarily. After all, if push came to shove, it wasn't like they'd have any problem taking on whoever would get hostile, but that was beside the point.

No, what made him pause was more like a general... uneasiness? Simply put, the boy had never been in this sort of situation before, and thus did not know how to handle it. He knew it was better not to draw attention to themselves, but given the world they were in, it seemed that that would be easier said than done. It wasn't like he was ashamed or anything. Growing up in Japan, knowing predominantly only other Japanese people, Touma didn't really have a concept of shame about his own person after all.

Nevertheless, Touma did his best to keep his mind focused on the mission. These people might have been, to put it in their own words, primitive in some ways, but one could only hope they'd become better over time, if this was supposed to be the distant past relative to Touma's own time after all.

Nothing says progress quite like his own home world's version of America being on its third Hispanic president.

Uneasily meeting the policeman's gaze for just a moment (and probably a moment too long), Touma cleared his throat as his little group reached near the back of the Arcade where it seemed they had luckily stumbled upon a free strength test, with a prize if they managed to win. Letting out a soft, almost amused sounding exhale, the boy gestured toward the strength test as he looked at Clark, or hell, Spike or any of the others if they wanted to.

"All yours. I'm just a normal high school kid, after all," he drolly said.

@Josh @Krieg @Atomic Knight @Arcade

"Well that's fucking stupid." But... "Hey, hold on. If everyone is in a loop, how come they're pulling shit like that? Unless we conveniently strolled into the part in the loop where cops demand IDs to ride a fucking blimp, because that's a totally normal and ordinary thing to do."

@Atomic Knight @Capri @Gummi Bunnies @Neko Shogun

The pair seemed like they were not going to answer Emily, but eventually the woman spoke up. "We are where we want to be."

"Isn't it?"

@Takumi @York @Minerva

"The blimp's probably more than a quid, mate," Cullen said.

As he said this, policemen were starting to shuffle in from the gift shop entrance. They walked quickly through the boardwalk and toward the ticket booths. "Everyone, there have been some developments that require some changes for ticket sales!" A couple men were carrying in what appeared to be wooden barriers that read "Police, Do Not Cross, Columbia Police Authority."

"All proceeding sales will require routine searches and proper identification!"

"Follow the music. Well, where there's festivities..." The Songstress trailed off, pondering aloud. A prelude of things to come? That didn't sound ominous at all. Something about these twins seemed off. Azura took a moment to listen, past the waves against the shore and the occasional cries of children enjoying the beach to pick out any music she could hear

@Atomic Knight @York @Minerva @Coin toss

A faint sound of music could be heard coming from one of the beach docks. It was a folksy tune that sounded easy to dance to.

@Takumi @York @Minerva

"Wonder how long these loops go on for exactly..." Cullen said absently. He eyed the police blockade for a moment before looking to Jianyu and the others. "Not that I know what rubbish that Demiurge is up to, but seems to me he put us on the beach for a reason. Probably aren't supposed to be taking rides yet."

Billy shrugged. With everything going on, the reality of coming to a world where have their group might be scrutinized for reason rooted in discrimination was certainly a sobering one. Hopefully whoever they were looking for was a bit of a progressive.

"Without my magic, I'm not winning any strength contests," he admitted.

@Ver @Josh @Krieg @Crunch

"Isn't it?"

@Takumi @York @Minerva
"Follow the music. Well, where there's festivities..." The Songstress trailed off, pondering aloud. A prelude of things to come? That didn't sound ominous at all. Something about these twins seemed off. Azura took a moment to listen, past the waves against the shore and the occasional cries of children enjoying the beach to pick out any music she could hear

@Atomic Knight @York @Minerva @Coin toss

Well, that sounded... ominous. It looked like they would have to find music, probably played by a bard of some kind. She looked at Azura and Emily.

"Well, shall we go off to look for this Bard, wherever he is?"​

"Strength challenge, huh?"

Spike spoke out-of-the-blue, his static nature of apathy shifting to a bemused grin. That sounded interesting. Among the atmosphere of vintage Americano the sleazy bounty hunter emerged back within the group with a small bag of popcorn. How did he get that? With fatigued yawn the tall spacefarer cracked his neck. His last Marlboro had burned out, and whilst there were no convenience store, surely finding a shop that sold tobacco in these archaic times would be possible, yeah?

"I am a follower of Jeet Kune Do...and I fought plenty of meatheads. I think I got this." the green-haired man spoke with a flare of rare hubris. Rolling up the sleeves of his blue suit jacket, the antihero gave a sincere bow as he accepted the hammer. "I hope you got a fistful of Woolongs, buddy. I'll break the bank first before scratching a muscle off me." Throwing the hammer over his shoulder, the man approached the plate, looking back with a flash of the faintest of fake smiles and a thumbs-up.

"By the way, name is Spike. Round of popcorn on me." the man spoke, oddly feeling...sociable? That was not him. Maybe resolving past sins and resolutions had changed him to see the present more. It was tough, but for a man as stubborn as Spike, he was unwilling to fully come to terms with himself.

With Herculean stride he arose the hammer firmly above his head, and as the very air around him parted from the sheer force of the hammer punching wildly towards the pressure plate...a stroke of bad luck hit a man who smoked his lucky cigarette.

His Jericho 941 handgun that he had jingled in his pocket aggressively before slipped out from manipulations of his torso and shoulders with his swing.. Time slowed down as the hammer made contact with the plate, and with the gun landing by it's magazine on the wooden floor below. A flash of light, the roar of gunpowder and the whizzing of a stray bullet filled the arcade.

BANG!!!

A confused but casual expression left Mr. Spiegel's face.

"...Huh. Might need to sew a new pocket up."

@Ver @Crunch @Atomic Knight @Josh @Arcade Lads

The sound of music drew the trio to the end of one of the docks on the beach where Biscuit already was. One man was playing violin, while another was on the piano. A group was dancing around, some clapping happily to the music. The group was trying to get Biscuit to dance while one boy pleaded with a woman to dance with him. The boy looked particularly familiar to Emily.

"I don't dance," the woman said brusquely.

"Why?!" exclaimed the boy, as if that was a crazy thing to say.

"Elliot, we gotta go."

"Ms. DeWitt, there's nothing better than this," the boy said. "This is the kind of thing I could have only imagined before!"

Some of the dancers took notice of the newcomers and tried to get them to dance as well.

@Takumi @York @Minerva @Jeremi

A distant bang could be heard from inside the building, coming from either the Arcade or Gift Shop. A few police officers left the blockade to go running inside.

"Exciting," Cullen said dryly.

The thingamabob burst upward from the force of Spike's display of strength and slammed into the bell of the machine, just as screams began to ring out around the Arcade. The muscly man cried out and cowered into the fetal position while the man who had been calling on people to try the motion leaped from the podium he had been standing on. His bag of coin went flying, the contents of which spilled out in front of Spike and the others.

Though the police who had harassed the group had left, others came running in to check on what had happened. Billy turned to them, his eyes going wide. "Pretend you're with the crowd!" he yelled.

@Ver @Josh @Krieg @Crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back