Smugglers Cove (Love2write and Silence)

It was impossible not to feel a sense of impending doom. Kato was doing something too wild. He was wanting to suddenly be different and that wasn't helpful at all. Anna cautiously proceeded through making the meal and she watched him as if he were a little rat scooting along the ground and herself an owl. At any moment this was going to change. What if he did decide he wanted to be different? That almost had Anna shaking in her boots. What if he wanted her to change. Her mind was whirring with all the sudden possibilities. Loosening up a little bit was ok. This was more than loosening up. Kato was changing!

By the early evening the hair dye products arrived and Anna had Kato wash his hair before she started the process of dying it. Then she fixed a cap on his head and used a little crochet type hook think to pull stripes of his hair out of the cap and streak them blue. Joseph and Jacob came into the kitchen to see that she was working on their dad's hair and they both wanted blue hair too. "Alright just you two wait a few minutes." As soon as she was done Anna couldn't help grinning. Kato looked hilarious with his hair sticking out of the cap in tufts. It was a good thing she ordered more than the one cap. Soon both her boys were eagerly wiggling around on their seats happily getting their little brown and the blonde locks dyed blue too. Joseph seemed to get a tiny bit of wave in his hair and he was practically skipping with the idea of having his hair colored. He was in some ways the more adventuresome of the boys.

While the boys all waited for their hair to be done Anna got hers washed and began to rub the purple dye into her own hair. She had enough time to let her hair dye while she helped Kato get the cap off, rinse his hair, use the special shampoo and then move through the boy's quickly. When they were all done she couldn't help the little satisfactory expression that came to her face. Kato's hair was all done and he looked pretty good. She loved the blue stripes with the bits of silver left. "You know you look like a younger man now. That silver sort of looks intentional instead of you just going gray early." Walking with him to the bathroom she let Kato get a good look at himself in the mirror. "What do you think?" She had noticed that he was starting to hunch some and that probably meant that he would need to be laying down again soon, but he had made it for several hours and that was more than he had been able to do.

****************************************************************************************

Killian was almost furious with the doctor for cutting the pain medication. Still he did his best not to get too wild. "I just want to make sure it works. If I'm going to heal I need to be able to sleep."

The doctor nodded. "Just try it and see if it cuts the pain." Doctor Uri was glanced at Star. She still seemed to be so oblivious to it all. Perhaps he would need to talk with her about addictive behaviors to watch for. Still it was better for her to decide this on her own. In two visits he couldn't come to their home and accuse her husband of turning to drugs to fix his problems. It was obvious that she adored the man and it was plain as daylight that they were struggling as individuals to hold this all together. Their little family was about to be in shambles. "While I'm here is there anything else going on?"

Shaking his head Killian looked over at Star and let her answer. He didn't want to say anything more to the doctor. All he needed were a few pills and his life could go on. There wasn't any such thing as dreams anymore, he hardly thought of that stuff and when he did it seemed distant. Those pills were the only thing he had to have and he could be what Star needed.

Kato gave her one his classic nervous chuckles as he looked in the mirror and gingerly touched the highlights of blue throughout his hair. "I like it?" He replied uncertainty. Dramatic hair color like this was a bit too odd, but she was smiling so he smiled too and put an arm around her waist, drawing her close as he sat against the counter. "Yes, you did a great job." He looked into her face with those same brown eyes. "And you, look very beautiful with that purple hair." He rang his finger through the ends of her hair with his free hand. "Do you like it?"

Anna finally helped him back to bed and he lay down with soft groan. He might have pushed it too much today, but it was worth it. For her, anything was worth it. She'd seemed pleased with getting to color his hair and cook with him. And for the most part he'd actually enjoyed it as well. A part of him was looking forward to the next new thing...another part feared he wouldn't be able to live up to his new claim of being a new man. He had to be...for her. She didn't need the Kato buried just under the surface, the one that was about to fall apart for all he had done, all that he'd seen. She needed him strong, confident and capable.
No longer nervous, no longer naive, no longer an unmoving stick in the mud. I am new. I am better.

Dreams that night seemed almost at their worst. This time he wasn't defending his children. He was brutally killing all the attackers and cheering gillicks. He knew Anna was behind him, watching in horror as he swung his bloodied fists. He crushed one man's skull, stabbed another with a machete, broke the neck of someone who was about to attack his wife. She screamed from behind him and he spun. "You're supposed to heal them! Not kill them!" Anna screamed at him.
Kato looked at her stunned, stretching out bloodied hands to her. "I'm protecting you."
"No! You're a monster! I'm not even in danger!" She was suddenly in the stands with the other gillicks who were cheering down at him. He looked down, a gun in his hand...the body of the druggie sprawled out in the grass with all the other bodies. Children too...children he'd failed to save because he'd been too distracted by the other attackers.
"Admit it! You like it. You liked killing them. I can't love a monster like you." She walked away and Kato was helpless to stop her.

Kato awoke with a start, Anna's hand on arm. He didn't even bother lying and telling her he was alright as he pushed back the covers and hurried to the bathroom. He closed the door and turned on the shower, making it hot. He felt like he was covered in blood. He was no stranger to blood, the sort of blood that came with trying to heal someone...but blood from killing. That was different. I did what I had too. I shouldn't feel guilty about it.
Did I enjoy it? I felt relieved...Anna was safe. I felt relieved they died and we survived. I didn't enjoy it...did I?

Kato held onto the wall of the shower for support as the water rushed down his aching body.
He remembered talking to Killian about why he enjoyed being a doctor. There was sense of satisfaction and pleasure that came with drawing people back from the brink of death. From beating death itself. And now he'd just experienced the other side. Being the harbinger of death for three people. What if deep down he really had enjoyed the rush of killing them more than he enjoyed saving. What if that was why he had no desire to be a doctor for the time being? What if secretly, deep down there was a sociopathic mass murderer waiting to come out and consume him?

The thought terrified him. More than anything else...that thought terrified him. What if that was what Anna had been trying to warn him about in the dream? Kato finally turned off the shower, wrapping a towel around him as he sat on the edge of the tub, staring at the door. I'm not a mass murder. I'm not sociopath...I didn't enjoy killing them...I hated it. I hate the memory. I just want to be better. A better man. Not scared of the future, not worried about the past...I just want to be better. I will be better.

He looked at the clock on the wall. 4 am. He wasn't going to be sleeping the rest of the night. Maybe he could clean the house for Anna for when she woke up. He got dressed quietly, and left the room, softly closing the door behind him. By the time she woke up, the house would be clean, flowers would be on the table and the children would be taken care of. I'll show you, Anna. I'll show myself I'm a better man. That this didn't change me for the worst. I am better...the old Kato can just...die.

*********************************************************************************
Star looked between the doctor and Killian sensing the tension suddenly rising as if there was a silent conversation going on that she didn't know about. She put a hand on Killian's which was tensed and curled. Was he still in so much pain? Less addictive sounded good too her. The last she needed after all that they had been through was for Killian to get addicted to something and just make this whole situation worse.

Star might've brought up another topic but Killian clearly wasn't in the mood for it. She looked back at Dr. Uri. "No, thank you. I think we're good for today." She shook his hand and saw him out the door. She turned back to Killian who'd already left the room. She sighed. He probably just didn't like have a therapist. Well, he was going to have to get used to it. They needed this Doctor. She was at her wits end with how to help him. He'd was barely talking to her anymore about anything substantial. In return she didn't feel like she could talk to him lest she just add more pain and frustration to his already plagued mind. She leaned against the door and sighed. Hopefully Uri would be able to help them.
Killian being irritable was wearing on her. His nights were worse than ever and nothing she did seemed to helped. He slept off and on more throughout the day since his dreams were so restless. It had gotten to the point that she was sleeping in the guest room sometimes just so that she could try and get a decent night's sleep so she could care for the children. Star took them back to school the following day and ran a few errands before returning home to check on Killian.
Seemed like he wasn't doing that well. He was irritated with her for not telling him where she was going. She'd forgotten to leave a note. "I'm sorry, Killian but you were sleeping and I have a household to take care of." She replied irritably in return. Killian was a bear to deal with when he didn't get decent sleep. She cleaned the house, and cooked for the afternoon so she wouldn't have to later when the kids were home.

Star peered into the bedroom a few hours later. "Killian, I'm going to pick up the kids. The doctor will be here in about an hour, so get cleaned up please." She grabbed the keys and hurried out the door. 30 minutes later she was pulling a screaming Claire, a whining Zack and a grumpy Mike through the door. "Claire if you keep screaming I am going to put you in time out. Zack, you have homework, please sit down and look through it so I can help you before Dr. Uri comes." Claire kept screaming so Star took her arm pulling her to the corner. "Stand and do not move or I will spank you." Star shook her head caring Mike over to the toddler highchair so she could feed him. She set out a bowl of mashed potatoes for him and was just about to help him start eating it when glass began breaking.

Star rushed back into the living room to find Claire had grabbed the nearest vase and had thrown into the ground still screaming at her in intense fury, her little face as red as could be. "Oh, you've had it little miss. You do not do things like that." She grabbed Claire's hands, turned her and gave her a solid swat on the butt. "Now, you're going to sit in your room until you can behave."
"I hate you! Daddy lets me eat as much candy as I want! You're mean! I hate you!" Claire screamed at her.
Just as if things couldn't get worse she heard Mike's food bowl clatter to the floor and a knock sounding at the door. "Claire...go to your room." Star ordered as calmly as possible.
"No! Daddy never makes me! I don't have to! I want to stay here!" She stomped her little feet.
"Just a minute!" She called to whomever was knocking at the door. Mikey had begun crying.
Star lifted Claire up around the waist and carried her to the bedroom, ignoring the little kicks and punches and screams. She set her inside and closed the door, Claire still screaming about how much she hated her.

Star had almost forgotten someone was at the door when there was another knock. She opened the door and found Dr. Uri. Mikey was screaming by now too in the background and she'd glimpsed the mashed potato mess all over the floor on her way to the door. "Dr. Uri...um...now is probably not a good time." She sighed wearily, leaning against the door frame. "Killian is in a bad mood...he probably doesn't want to talk..." She looked over her shoulder as Mikey pounded his fists. "I'm sorry, can you...i don't know, wait...come in...whatever..." She hurried over to the toddler who was covered in mashed potatoes. "Oh, Mikey. Zack, can you come help me!?"
"I'm trying to do my homework!" He called from the other room. "Mom, I think Claire broke the window in her room."
"Sh**, Killian!" She carried Mike with her as she hurried to her bedroom, her back beginning to hurt from everything. "Killian?" She pushed the bedroom door open. It looked like he'd just gotten out of the shower. "Can't you hear the children screaming? I need your help and Dr. Uri is here. Please hurry up and get dressed." Mike was still crying in her arms, still covered in potatoes. "The arena was vacation compared to this..." She murmured heading back to the living room

Anna woke up to Kato tossing and turning in the bed. He'd hit her in the face by accident, and it was still dark in the room. Perhaps that was the best for now. "Kato." Shaking his arm gently she waited for him to react before she shook his arm and whispered his name again. "Its ok, just wake up." Finally he did and Kato didn't really say much. He just wandered off and she was left alone in bed. For a while she waited for him to come out of the bathroom. The water kept running and running. Eventually she fell asleep to the sound of the water running and the occasional splash from Kato washing himself. They had both got cleaned up just yesterday morning. Maybe he just felt sweaty or something?

It wasn't till morning that Anna woke up. Peeling her face off the pillow she rubbed at her sore cheek before she crawled out of the bed. They didn't have to go anywhere and if she wanted the purple color to last she would have to let it be in her hair for a whole day. Last night it was tempting to tell Kato that the dye would last as long, but he needed the shower so she let him.

Walking out into the main room she covered her face with her hands and started to cry. The whole house was cleaned up, flowers on the table and the kids were already eating breakfast. It was too much at one time. This was a good too much. She had been feeling overwhelmed and yet she was still afraid of what was going on with Kato, he wasn't himself and he looked exhausted. All three of her men gathered around. Each of the boys wanted to hold onto her legs and Kato was standing nearby trying to hug her too. "No...It's just fine. I'm...." Bursting into tears all over again she tried to hide her face from Kato as she pushed at the boys to get them off her legs. "I don't feel good. I just need to go to bed." Shuffling away to the bedroom as fast as she could Anna pulled all the shades and crawled back under the covers in her bed. She didn't want to get up, she didn't want to tell him that in the middle of his sleep he punched her, and she didn't want to face the new person that Kato was trying to become. He needed to go back to work and just be himself.

************************************************************************************

The new pills didn't do what Killian needed them to. He was getting less sleep and taking more pills. He had moved them to his side of the bed so he could get them at night without having to ask Star. So he didn't risk dumping water he kept a bottle on his side of the bed too. Most nights were restless and she had let him handle his own medication. If nothing else his dreams got worse. The pain didn't keep him up at night and neither was it waking him when he moved in bed anymore. It was just the dreams and they were coming on with a vengeance.

With limited sleep he was finding himself becoming increasingly tired and he was having some pain during the day now that he was trying to walk a little bit. All of it turned into another excuse to have a few more pills. As soon as the kids were back in school and she was busy running them around he took himself to the market to get some alcohol to mix with the medication. He needed to fall asleep and stay that way. If he had to drink with the pills he was going to do that. Before Star got home he shoved the bottles under the bed and left one outside the carton. Killian tested to be sure that he could reach it if he just hung his arm over the edge of the bed. Pulling the rumpled blankets up on the bed they drooped far enough to hide his stash under the bed.

By afternoon he was taking naps with the kids and he didn't usually wake up till he had to, because Star was grouchy and she wanted him to do something. For the most part there wasn't anything to do. Claire decided to hit Mike and Mike clunked her right back. That was life and natural consequences. Star on the other hand seemed to think that it was inappropriate for the children to hit each other. "Then you do something about it." Grumbling he limped over to the couch and laid down for a while.

That evening he had a whole bottle with his medication before Star came to bed and he kept his back to her the same as he had for the last several nights. It had been on compromise to see if they could share a bed. If he was going to be drinking and taking prescriptions he figured it was only a matter of time before she found out so he wasn't thinking he wanted to change this habit till she thought he was doing great and then she wouldn't mind. All she needed to see was that it actually helped and then Star would be fine with it. For the first time in weeks he slept like he needed to. Killian got up and limped into the shower. He still had trouble moving his left arm, but that would come with time. Star was coming in to grouch at him like usual. "No shit. I can hear them. What the hell did you do?" Of course that only resulted with her marching out the door in her angry fashion.

Getting dressed still seemed to take a ridiculously long time. Killian winced a little when he forced his left arm into the sleeve of the shirt. His shoulder burned with the effort and his chest always felt tight now. It just hurt to get dressed. Grabbing another one of the tablets he grabbed one of the drinks from last night. It was about as close as he could get to the effect of the higher dose pain medication.

Doctor Uri waited patiently while he watched the woman race around. The house had erupted into chaos. It was a little different than last time and he knew that it would happen as soon as he took the major painkillers away from Killian. Carefully standing he went over to talk with Claire who was already racing out of the room like a wild child. "Hi."

The girl stopped in her tracks and stared at the strange man before she ran back to her room and hid herself underneath all her blankets. Doctor Uri took a deep breath and moved over to where Star was at. "Would you like a private session at my office to talk about a few things for yourself? Maybe this afternoon?"

Star looked at him with a sullen expression, still bouncing Mike in his arms to calm him down. "I..." She looked back towards the bedroom. "I don't know. Killian's still recovering and I don't know if Charis would be available to watch the kids...especially in the mood they're in right now."

"I'm not asking if you have childcare. I'm asking if you would like an appointment for yourself. My office has a nursery the kids could come to while you visit with me. This doesn't seem to be a good time. It would maybe be better if we resume our meetings in my office. Bring your husband with and we'll start with separate meetings now."

Star looked back at him. "Um, yeah. Sure. If you think that's the best next step." She sighed. "I just need him to be ok. Whatever it takes."

Doctor Uri nodded. "It may take a lot more work. Everyone recovers from these things differently. I will see you at 2pm then and I will talk with him first, then you can talk with me and we'll do a little follow up." Carefully nodding goodbye he headed for the door and back to his office.

Killian had barely finished his bottle of beer that he had hidden under the bed. It would take about 10-15 minutes before he would start to feel the effects, but he figured that he was dressed and finally feeling like he could face another day. He could easily blame the slight imbalance on his injuries to the leg. Like usual he took up the couch to watch the kids, which mostly translated into him drifting in and out of sleep. His breathing was depressed with the combination and it made sleeping much easier. At 1:30 in the afternoon Star was waking him up and he growled a little on the way to the shuttle. "What are we doing again?"

Star sighed. "I told you. We have an appointment with Uri." She looked over at him. "I don't know what's going on in that head of yours...but you're doing worse. If you can't talk to me about it...please...talk to him." She gripped his hand. "I need you to get better."

"I am doing better. Last night I didn't have any dreams." Killian wanted her to know that at least. He had drunk that whole bottle of beer and his dose of medication before bed. "You didn't notice?"

Star nodded. "Ok, granted you did sleep most of the night. Still, I'm worried about you. You seem...off. And you've been having unusual mood swings. I know you're not telling me everything...and that's ok. Just make sure you tell someone...preferably Uri so he can help you."

"Mood swings my ass." Killian loaded into the shuttle and let her do the driving. Technically he wasn't supposed to do any of the driving while he was on these medications. When they arrived the kids were dropped off at a little nursery and then he sat in the waiting room after he was done and waited for Star to finish her chat with Doctor Uri.

The doctor took a quick not of her appearance as she walked in. Star was looking especially tired and he looked up at her. "How are you doing?" Nodding again he marked a few things down. "I want to ask you if you've noticed any changes since the last visit. Better or worse and what is better or worse?"

"I'm ok. Um, I don't know. Sometimes he's fine, sometimes he looks like he's about to go into the depths of depression. Last night he didn't have any dreams...so that's a plus...but he woke up kinda off...like he'd taken one to many sleeping pills or something. I don't know." Star shrugged uncertainly. "He claims he's fine, that he's doing better...so I guess time will tell."

Doctor Uri nodded again. "How did helping around the house turn out? Is that still going alright?" Didn't sound like it and he continued on with another question about how Killian would usually act in the past. "I can only do so much. When we talked he wouldn't say anything to me besides needing to sleep and he said something about having to do what he does for you. I'm not sure what he's talking about. I want to give this handout to you to read. Just a few red flags that might indicate a drug abuse problem. Often times you will see this happen with folks that have been through traumatic experiences."

"Yeah well, he's not really talking to me either." She gave Uri a weird look as he gave her the hand out. "Drug abuse?" Star's eyes widened slightly, looking over the handout, noting some of the symptoms. "I...um...Killian." She lay the paper on her lap, her fist tightening. "The thing about Killian is that sometimes he does things out of pure logic. If it helps him...helps his family...he'll do it. Sometimes its not moral, sometimes its not emotionally right, but its always done with the intent of doing what's best for us." She looked down at the handout. "I don't think he's doing drugs. He's been irritable and moody but he's not sleeping and he's dealing with alot. Besides, where would he get them? I've been doing the shopping." Star sighed and leaned back in the chair. She did not need this on top of everything else. "If he is doing them...and he admits it to you...you're going to have to explain the logic of why its wrong. He won't accept anything less, typically."

It was what the doctor feared and that was why he didn't bother saying that he thought it was what was going on. "I just thought you should be aware. For now I would suggest you try to keep him involved in the family and continue trying to talk with him. He will talk to someone at some point. Is there anything I can do for you?"

Star shrugged looked down at the pamphlet again before sticking it in her person. "Um...well, I've been having nightmares too, but I know they'll pass with time....they always do." She took a shaky breath. "I can't afford to break down...not now. The kids need at least one healthy parent. Last time Killian was like this it only lasted a couple months. But...this time feels different...worse. I'm scared to push him or tell him anything for fear that he's just going to completely crumble and...I'll never get him back." She sniffed, wiping her eyes and taking a breath.

The doctor sighed. "You can't keep it all pent up either. Do you have friends, or someone that would listen to you perhaps someone to talk with if you're not comfortable telling me what is going on?"

Star smiled weakly. "Yeah. But she's going through her own version of this too. Her and her husband. They were stuck in the games with us." She brushed her hair back. "Its not that I'm uncomfortable...I'm just...not sure what to tell. Everything with Killian and me...what we're dealing with...its connected to events that have gone back for years...at least 4 or 5 years. I'm not sure that's a can of worms we can survive opening...you know?"

"Obviously keeping it all shut in isn't helping either. Perhaps it would help to speak with the other woman. You both might find some release to just have some company and have a shared experience to work through. You know that is basically all a therapy group is and you can have it in private where no one will be there to judge you. I understand that this is a situation that was something you and your husband were not comfortable speaking about in detail."

Kato was unprepared for Anna's reaction. He had thought she would be happy, estatic even. She'd seemed so at first but then she'd rushed away sobbing, claiming she didn't feel well. He didn't understand...and it worried him. He made sure the kids were taken care of then went into their dark bedroom and sat next to her on the bed. "Anna? Are you alright? Did I do something wrong?" He asked worriedly, putting a hand on her shoulder. She'd buried herself beneath the blankets which was quite unlike her.
"No..." Whimpering from under the blanket she pushed at him gently with her knees. "I'm just a little surprised is all."
"That doesn't explain why you rushed from the room? You said you felt sick. Are you nauseous? Do you have a fever?" Kato put a gentle hand on her arm. "Please, talk to me Anna."
Anna curled a little tighter under the blanket. "I don't know. I'm not nauseous and I don't have a fever. I just need...." She had no idea what she needed and this was pathetic. "Guess I'm having an emotional girl day. I don't know."
"Post cycle hormones?" He asked hopefully. "Well, would you like me to bring you some breakfast in bed? I can watch the kids and you can just read or watch vids or whatever else you need."
"Just put it on the night stand when you come in. I'll get up in a little bit." Anna wasn't sure what to do. They were both in a funk and she just had a momentary break down, now she was hiding her face from him because he would feel terrible if he knew.
"Ok. I love you." Kato left her to rest, leaving her food and flowers before returning to the living room to play with the boys. It wasn't long before their laughing screeches could be heard as he chased them slowly around the house.
Anna poked her head out from under the covers as soon as Kato was gone and she gobbled the breakfast as quickly as she could. The woman didn't know how she was going to tell him that he was getting violent in his sleep. Maybe it would only be this once. Since the kids were still busy sounding Anna darted for the bathroom and quickly began to dab on makeup and anything she could to cover the bruise on her cheek. Then she would be presentable to her family.

*********************************************************************************
Star was getting worried as she thought about Killian over the last several days in comparison to the handout she'd been given. Increased irritability, changes in attitude and personality, lethargy...and those were just the ones she'd noticed off the top of her head. While Killian watched the kids later that afternoon she went into the bedroom to confirm the suspicious that Uri had suggested. She checked his drawer, finding far less pills in his bottle than should've been there if he was taking the appropriate amount. That alone was enough to worry her. But it wasn't till she accidentally kicked one of the bottles under the bed that she nearly started to panic. At least two cases of beer had been stowed under the bed. She remembered thinking she had smelled beer the other night...the same night he claimed he had no dreams.

Star pulled the cases of beer onto the bed, putting a hand to her head. What was she supposed to do with this? She had no idea...why hadn't he said anything? She went to the bedroom door. "Killian, can you come to the bedroom please." She asked, trying to keep her voice as calm as possible.
Pulling himself off the couch Killian limped to the bedroom. She probably needed help with a button or zipper on the back of some dress. Star didn't usually talk to him like that unless he wanted him to do something small. Didn't sound bad anyway. Stepping into the room he closed the door and then turned around to see the beer sitting on the bed. "Uh...So where'd you find that?" Playing dumb was maybe the only thing he could do.
"Underneath your side of the bed." She held up his bottle of pills. "Killian...there are way less in here than should be? How many have you been taking?" She had a horrible thought. "Sh** Killian, have you been mixing your pills with alcohol? Do you know how dangerous that is!?"
It seemed that she had all sorts of things to say about this now. Killian turned his face away. He couldn't even look at her. Her voice was starting to get a slight shrill to it. "I don't know how many I take." Keeping track of that had stopped mattering. Eventually he was going to head down to the black market for a refill. Not like she had to find out he was taking that many and then she started to connect the dots. "What do you want me to do?"
"I want you to stop, Killian. You're going to destroy yourself, me and the kids if you don't draw and line right here and let Uri help you." She stood up with the beer, began popping the caps and dumping them down the bathtub drain.
Walking over to where Star was he took one of the bottles from her. "The hell....This is the only way I'm sleeping at night. I need it."
"No you don't, Killian. You just think you do. That's how drug and alcohol addiction starts." She snatched the bottle back from him and handed the wrinkled pamphlet to him instead. "Read it...you need help, Killian. Its nothing to be ashamed about...but it will be if you continue down this road. She popped the lid to the bottle she'd stolen back and began dumping that too.

Killian only read a few of the things on the pamphlet and he started to murmur angrily under his breath. "This is shit." Balling the paper up he threw it in the trash can and started out the door. "I'll come back later."
Star looked up in fright. "Oh, no. Don't you dare. We need to talk about this Killian!"

She raced after him. All the things that could possibly go wrong, the things he might do started flashing through her mind. Getting drunk at a bar and starting a fight, overdosing on illegal drugs, getting arrested or passing out on the side of the street. She couldn't let him.

Turning around he glared at her. "What are you gonna do about it? Call the men in white suits to come get me?
Star stopped in her tracks. She'd never seen him like this, and it was terrifying. "Killian, you promised when we became a couple that if I drew a line and said we couldn't cross it, we at would at least talk about it. I'm terrified about whats going to happen to you if you go out there like this. You don't need alcohol, you don't need drugs. You need your family and I need you."
"You don't need me. They don't need me." Pointing to the kids he emphasized his point briefly and then continued toward the front door. "What is there to talk about? I told you I need this cause I can't sleep and I'm a much better man on them. Not focused on all that other stuff and I'm calm. Perfectly calm!"
Star sprinted around the front of him and stood with her back leaning against the door. "You're not even thinking straight anymore, Kilian. Opiates are a temporary fix and then they wear off and you require more and more just to survive. Pretty soon you're a crack-head living on the street. I'm not letting you do that. If I have to protect you from yourself on top of all the other things I have to do cause you're not helping...I'll do it. Don't you dare stand there, looking at our house saying we don't need you."
"Just move." Killian tried to push her aside with his one hand and he wasn't all that effective since she could move a little faster than he did and his balance wasn't so great either. "I told you I need it. What happened to letting me do whatever I need to get better?" Even this was starting to make him lose energy and he hated that. "Damn it." Slamming one fist on the door above her head he glowered at her. "Will you let me out of here or not?"
Star jumped as he slammed his fist into the the door above her. Her heart was pounding out of her chest. She glared up at him and spoke in low tones. "I swear to god Killian...if you start getting violent with all this I will leave. I will take those kids and I will leave you. You have a choice right now...walk out that door and risk losing your family...or let Uri help you."
The kids had stopped playing in the house and they watched, all their little faces held up and eyes wide. Killian stared at Star for a long moment. He didn't have anything else to say. She was being unreasonable and this didn't seem to be the time to walk out. There was still a chance for them to work through this. Turning away he limped back to the bedroom and grabbed the bottle of pills.

Star's limbs trembled as she slid to her seat in front of the door. She couldn't help the tears that were now streaming down her face. She'd never feared Killian harming her before. This moment changed that. She knew the things he was capable of...and if opiates were involved, hindering his inhibition...there was no telling what he'd do.
Before she went to bed she sent Dr. Uri a message describing what she had discovered and the encounter between them. She then sent a message to Anna, asking if she could get together the following day.

It was almost scary sleeping next to him now, knowing how much he probably hated her at the moment for dumping his beer. She hadn't touched his pills. She was too nervous to do that. She also feared what he would do when she'd finally fallen asleep or wasn't around to watch him. He didn't understand the danger...and she didn't know how to get through to him.

***********************************************************************************
Star met Anna at a little coffee shop (after dropping the kids off with Charis) where there were couches and tables and places where people could sit and talk quietly. "Anna." Star gave her friend a hug and bought her a cup of coffee before sitting down with her on one of the free couches. "How are you doing? You look...stressed. Has Kato not been doing well either?"
The coffee shop was quiet'ish. Anna couldn't say that it was 100% perfect, but she was out of the house and that was what counted. "Oh I'm doing alright...Kind of." Chuckling a little she looked at Star again. "Kato is determined to be somebody new and if I wanted somebody different I would have married someone different. Then he isn't sleeping well and I don't know how you've managed with all those years and Killian's problems. I wake up all the time and I've started putting my back to him. Kato punched me in his sleep the other night and I've been covering it with makeup. How are you doing?"
Star blinked. "Wait...back up...he punched you!?"
"He was dreaming. I-I reached over to wake him up and I guess his reflexes kind of kicked in." Anna lowered her gaze. She felt so ashamed and yet there wasn't anyone else she could tell. "Kato isn't a bad man and I know it would only hurt his feelings. He would feel awful if I told him."
Star touched her friend's arm. "If it happens again, you need to tell him. And...if this change in Kato is bothering you...you should tell him too. He may not even know."
"I told him not to change too much and he's determined to be whatever this new version of himself is." Anna's face was gradually becoming flushed. "It is what it is. I'll try talking with him again. Now, seriously how about you?"

Star ran her fingers through her hair, looking down at her nearly untouched coffee. "Um...its bad...getting worse." She took a breath and looked up at Anna. "Killian's gotten himself addicted to Opiates. Been popping pills like candy and stashing alcohol under the bed. We're...seeing a therapist but that's the last thing he wants." Star shook her head.
"Oh my gosh." Anna met her friend's gaze. "Have you tried talking to the therapist about getting him into a treatment facility. See if they can manage him for a detox? When did you find out?"
"Yesterday. I confronted him about it and...it didn't go well." She sipped her coffee. "I'm scared that he's going to lose all self-control and get violent. I already warned him what would happen if he does...but...I don't know if he's going to accept help or not." Star shrugged wearily.
"Kato and I aren't all put together, but if you need a place to stay for a few days just let me know." Anna wasn't sure if Star would. It was possible she was afraid that Killian would go do something stupid if she left him alone for a few days.
Star nodded. "I appreciate the offer. I do. I'm going to wait it out for a few days, see if I can stop this before it goes any further. But if things take a turn for the worse, I'll let you know."
"Good." Anna reached across the table and patted Star's hand. "He's always worked through this stuff with you before. Just hold out a little hope. As horrible as he seems at times I understand a little better after the games."
"Yeah...that's what scares me." Star looked up her, fear in her eyes. "Those games weren't even bad, compared so some of things he's told me that he went through...that he did to survive. I've never been afraid of him hurting me or the kids...because he always had his head on straight. If he loses himself to opiates...I'm terrified of what he'd do."

Star shook her head and sighed. "Well, enough about the husbands...how are you? Nightmares?"
Her heart rate rose momentarily. Star had good reason to be terrified and it made her want to hide Star and the children. Of course it turned to the games and Anna nodded her head solemnly. "Yeah...Don't we all have trouble sleeping after that?"
Her heart rate rose momentarily. Star had good reason to be terrified and it made her want to hide Star and the children. Of course it turned to the games and Anna nodded her head solemnly. "Yeah...Don't we all have trouble sleeping after that?"
Star nodded. "How are you dealing with it? Are you talking to Kato? Anyone? Do you want to talk to me?"
"I'm not really talking to him. Kato has enough on his plate and it sounds like you do to. Wanna make this a dump fest where we sit here and cry like a bunch of old ladies, wipe our eyes, and go home and worry about each other?"
Star laughs. "Yes. We should probably grab some more napkins."

It was a rough night without the beer and Killian had to take more tablets than he was supposed to just to try and make it through the night. Almost shuddering in the bed he turned on his side and continued to shift and turn all night. Sleep came in sporadic measures and it brought years of horrors back to his mind. By morning Star was gone out of the bed and he was halfway lucid. The tablets didn't help nearly enough and he didn't even have enough of them left to give himself any kind of relief. The doctor didn't understand. As a Chippeqouti he needed more than an average man and this was barely enough to get him through the mild pain he had now. It was unbearable, the memories and then what he did yesterday.

Stepping out into the house he found it was strangely quiet and he panicked. She left him. He was here all alone and she took the kids. "No no no." Killian limped back to the room and he desperately rummaged through the drawers to be sure that he had every last pill. Maybe if he just quit she would come back. Star was upset with the beer and she dumped it all. Taking the tablets to the toilet he flushed the rest of them down and he began pacing the bedroom before he went out to the living room. Where would she have gone? He was going to wait here, but for how long till he knew she was gone? Would it be reasonable to wait 4 days? His last dose had been nearly 7 hours ago.

Finally he remembered that she wanted him to talk with the doctor and he started to scroll through the datapad to look for the number. It had to be here somewhere. Killian dialed the number and waited for the woman to answer. "I need to talk to Dr. Uri." When she asked for his name and he gave it the woman immediately transferred him to the office.

"Hello Killian." The doctor was a little surprised to hear that the man had called him after all this time. "What are you calling about?"

"I need help." Holding the speaker of the pad close to himself he listened for any kind of response and then continued. "She wants me off these pills and she found the beer. Star dumped it all yesterday and I ran out of pills a few hours ago. She's gone and I need help."

The doctor took a deep breath. He could hear the desperation, but he knew in a few days this entire conversation would pretty much go the opposite direction if he didn't say something to prepare him. "Ok...So you don't have anymore. Do you still have pain?" It sounded like there was still some legitimate pain and the doctor sighed. "I can't prescribe anything else right now. You're gonna have to stop everything from here on out and the next few days are gonna get pretty bad." After a short description of what was going to happen he asked how long it was since the last round of medicine. "Alright, you could be feeling some of the first symptoms of withdrawals anytime. Shouldn't last anytime past 10 days. I need you to write all the reasons that you're doing this on a piece of paper. You'll need to remind yourself." Immediately walking over to the pharmacy the doctor had an order sent in for some of the binding drugs to help wean Killian off the drugs. He would send the package to Star at the house with a list of instructions. Last they needed was Killian abusing those too.

By the time he was done talking with the doctor Killian couldn't help feeling almost sick. He was worried about this. It was already bad and then adding this on top of everything else? Still he wrote down a quick note for himself. For: Star, Claire, Mike, and Zack. Maybe the list was short, but they were all he had in the world and he wanted to them to come back. Stuffing the note into the front pocket on his vest he returned to the bedroom and laid down.

A small package from the pharmacy sat on the front steps labeled, Urgent for Star. Doctor Uri hoped that she would pay attention to the label and actually open it up to read the instructions to help Killian through the process. There was an extra tub of the anti seizure cream that they formulated and then the drugs that would act as binders in his system and help keep some of the cravings under control.

Star tore open the contents and read the instructions, rushing back to Killian with the items. "Here, take two of these." She hands Killian a glass of water and the pills. "I'm going to put on some seizure cream to be on the safe side, alright?" Once he'd swallowed the pills down she pushed up his shirt and began applying the anti-seizure cream.

It was a little surprising to see Star come rushing into the room. Killian frowned at her slightly and turned onto his back so he could sit up and take the pills from her. "What's this?" After her explanation he laid back down and unbuttoned his vest so she could get the cream on him. "I thought you were gone for good." No matter how hard he tried he was still worried that she might be tempted to leave. As she pulled his shirt back down he grabbed her wrists. "Please don't leave...not yet. I want to do better."

Star slowly sat beside him. "I know. That's why I'm still here...I'm not going anywhere." She held his hand, smiling gently. "We'll get through this. Just like everything else. Together."

Swallowing hard he nodded. "I'm gonna do whatever it takes this time." Killian shifted a little on the bed and looked at her for a long moment before saying anything else. "Can I earn your trust again? I know I did a bad thing yesterday."

Star nods solemnly. "You scared me pretty badly...but, if you go through with this and don't back out...you'll make good progress towards rebuilding that trust."

She'd never been afraid of him before and there was nothing worse. Killian watched her head out of the room to be with the kids. It wasn't till near dinnertime that he started into the sweats and muscle aches. At least it wasn't half as painful as bone pain, but it still hurt and especially in his leg and around the chest region where he'd been injured. Getting out of the bed he went out to have dinner with the family. By the end of the meal he dropped his head into his hands and groaned. A roaring headache set in and he was starting to feel miserable.

Going back to the room he laid down in the bed and he couldn't sleep. Even as the hours drug by he just sweat without much relief and even his hair was starting to get damp. Turning onto his side he noticed that the bed was damp too. "Ugh..." Killian started puking by morning and he still couldn't get much sleep. His heart tried to do a racing thing off and on then it was all accompanied by unreasonable fears. Agitation just seemed to build and now that he was done with the fevers for now Star told him to get a hot both to help with some of the other pains. While he changed he saw the note fall out of his vest and he set it on the counter. Even the bath helped he had to admit that he never felt this sick in his life. Ducking under the water he came back out of it with his hair dripping water all down the front of his face. Shuddering he wiped his face off and tried to relax for a few more minutes.

Since Kato had been so restless at night Anna mostly had the room to herself. She was wiping off her makeup when Kato stepped into the bathroom and she quickly tried to hide what was left of the bruise. "Why didn't you knock?"

Kato was too distracted by what he was sure was a bruise to answer her question. "Anna...what?" He took her hand lowering it. "What happened?" Who did this?" His eyes narrowed angrily.

Gradually the red began to seep to her cheeks. "Its nothing." Still he insisted and her eyes started to tear up. "You did."

Kato gaped at her, his expression going from anger, to confusion, to horror. "Me? In...in my sleep? Oh, god, Anna. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." He wrapped her in head tightly. "Please forgive me. I'm so sorry."

"I tried to hide it. You're not the same anymore and..." Anna pulled away from him. "I've had to get out of bed sometimes because you don't wake up." Pulling away from him she grabbed the edge of her shirt and lifted it to so he could see the other bruise. "Kato we need to get some help for you."

Kato dropped onto the toilet seat, devestated by what he was seeing. By what he had done. His dreams had been getting more intense, but he hadn't known he was harming her. "Anna...why didn't you say something sooner? How long...how long has this...have I..." He put a hand to his mouth, tears coming to his eyes.

"About a week." Anna sat on the edge of the tub next to him. "I wanted to wait and see if you would get better, but I need you to be honest. Are you getting better?"

Kato's looked down in shame. "I thought I was. I thought...I'd dealt with it, that the dreams would just pass." He shook his head sorrowfully. "I just wanted to be a better man for you. Stronger...less stiff...now this." He looked up at her. "I'll start looking for a therapist or someone who can help immediatly. I'm so sorry. I can sleep in the guest room until I get better."

Carefully she reached for his hand. "How about we just keep sharing the bed. I've been able to figure out when you're having bad dreams. You haven't hit me in almost 3 days now." Gently running her fingers up his arm she then took hold of the arm and stood so that she could kiss the top of his head. "What do you need from me to help?"

"Just...keep being you...and don't be afraid to communicate. I need to know when I'm hurting you immediately...not a week later." Kato replied. "I'm sorry I've changed in a bad way, and that I've hurt you. I am going to do whatever I have to to get better."

"Kato not all of it is bad." She didn't want him to be completely down on himself. "We're all struggling. I talked with Star and..." She realized that she didn't really have permission to say anything so she continued with it in a different way. "She's really struggling to and Killian isn't doing well either. Maybe we could ask them which doctor they're seeing?"

Kato nodded. "Yeah. If you could do that, I'd be grateful." He looked up at her in concern. "Are you still struggling? You haven't said anything?"

"I have some dreams." Anna glanced at the floor. "Sometimes I still wonder what the kids would think if they knew."

"They are too young to understand. And, when they are old enough...it will be a distant memory." Kato assures her. "If it helps, you can share your dreams with me."

Killian wasn't seizing, but the symptoms of the withdrawals were almost worst. Star had tried to research what to expect...it only made her more worried for him. Would they be worse as a Chippequoti? Or better? So far, she couldn't tell. She ended up sending the children to be with grandma Charis for a few days so she could concentrate on taking care of Killian which was a whole chore in itself. She'd never seen anyone throw up or sweat so much in her life. Star ended up sending him for a bath so she could change the bedding again.

After changing the sheets and pillows Star sanitized what she could then set aside his next dose of pills. She noted that he'd forgotten his change of clothes on the floor and took them into the bathroom for him. "I've changed the bedding so its ready when you get out. You're next dose of pills are on the bedside table and I'm going to make some soup. Make sure to drink the whole bottle of water, you need to stay hydrated." As Star turned to leave she noted the crumpled piece of paper on the counter. She smiled gently as she read it. If there was one thing she could rely on Killian for, it was that everything he did...was for his family.

**********************************************************************************************************

Kato grieved for the entire next day for what he'd done to Anna. Even if he'd been unaware, and it had been accidental, it wasn't right she had to suffer more violence after the games. As soon as Anna got the name of the therapist from Star, he called the man. "Dr. Uri? My name is Kato Jones. We're friends of Star and Killian and they recommended you to us...to me. Can I arrange an appointment?"
"Certainly. I have a slot open tomorrow." The doctor glanced at his computer. "Is it just for you?"
"Yes." Kato replied. "Thankyou." He got the time and place from the doctor and the next day went to his office. "Dr. Uri. Thankyou for getting me in so quickly." Kato shook the doctor's hand.
The man smiled gently and shook Kato's hand. "I try to keep my appointment book open for first visits." He motioned to living room type setting near the window. "Take a seat wherever you like. Make yourself comfortable, I have coffee, tea, water, or juice on the counter over there."
Kato sat in a sofa chair next to the window. It was strange...being a doctor in a therapist's office. It was a bit uncomfortable but very much needed. He didn't even wait for Uri to start asking questions, he just dove right it. "I'm a doctor. I was drafted for the war like every other able man and put on a ship. After a crazy series of events I ended up in the games with Killian and Star where I had to kill some people to protect my wife. Ever since I've been having dreams that have been increasingly violent...to the point where..." His throat closed for a moment and took a breath. "I accidentally hit her...my wife...in my sleep. A couple times, actually. Sometimes she can't wake me and she has to leave the bed in order to protect herself. I need help."
Quietly Uri waited for the doctor to finish the explanation of why he was here. "That takes of my usual first question. So..." Looking up at Kato from his note pad he adjusted himself on his seat and then continued. "What is it that bothers you? Is it the increasing violence of the dreams or that you hit your wife?"
Kato hesitated. "Both...of course, but dreams fade eventually...I'm more disturbed that I am harming her while dreaming. That they are having such an intense affect that my body would respond." Kato looked down at his hands. "I'm not a violent man...up till recently I couldn't even kill a fish. My whole life was based on helping people and now...I don't even recognize myself."

"Dreams might fade with time." Uri wrote down a quick note. "You are not a violent man and you are struggling with what happened. How is it that you don't recognize yourself? What about you is so different?"
"I've had no desire to go back to the medical practice...for one. I've uh...I've been trying to be better for her. Trying to live life more with her, be more bold and adventurous, do more things that I would've otherwise never done." Kato gestures to his blue hair. "I'm not as sensitive as I was, not as nervous. I thought that was a good thing but I think she's frightened by it. Especially after all this with the dreams."
"Some of your inhibitions are less." Nodding slightly he seemed to be making a quick analysis before he continued. With a quick glance at his notes he looked up at Kato again. "Why don't you want to go back into medical practice? Was it something you previously held interest in?"
"That was all i was interested in...until I met Anna. She helped me expand a little but even then my only interests and passions were based in learning new medical treatments, technologies, diagnosis and the like. Now...it all seems...I don't know...useless. I almost lost her, almost was killed myself...the only thing I care about is her and my children, and making them as happy as possible and...living...while I still have time left."
It was turning into an interesting conversation for sure. Uri hadn't made such a breakthrough with his other patients from the games. So he was curious how Kato's mind had processed all this to make medicine useless. "This is certainly an interesting statement for you to make. Why after all these years is medicine useless? How would you assume that being a doctor doesn't please your wife?"

Kato took a moment to think. "Its...its not useless...its just meaningless to me now. For as many people that I've saved, just as many have died. And now I've even taken lives...the worst thing a doctor can do." He rubbed his hands, still remembering the feeling of the blade sliding through the attackers ribcage, the feeling of the man's skull crushing beneath his hand as if it had just happened. "I uh...Anna...I don't know if me being a doctor ever made her happy one way or another. It definitely upset her from time to time when I became obsessive about it. She often refers to me as a stick in the mud. Unmoving, unflexible. Now I'm trying to be better...more flexible, with less tunnel-vision focus, find something else we can both be passionate about...but instead I'm beating her up at night..." Kato sighed deeply.
"Many people die that doctors never see." Uri looked at Kato for a long moment. "I see many patients that fail to recover. It is not because I don't do my job. There is a lot of work involved in being a patient." The doctor waited for Kato to continue and the man went on with his justification for home life. "This sounds like an identity crisis. Do you even know what you are passionate about? You obviously care about your wife and has she ever tried to direct you to a new field of study and work?"
Kato looked up at him. "No. Never. She's always been supportive."
"She's always been supportive."
"And you feel the need to change your career because of events beyond your control." Uri took a deep breath. "For now I wouldn't recommend searching for a new career. I think we need to work more on why you have suddenly felt this way. You may have discovered that you need to grow in some areas, but this doesn't mean that you will have to abandon everything that you were before."
Kato took a breath. "And what if I don't want to be the man I was before. What if I enjoy being unburdened by constantly worrying about the next patient. What if like that I'm no longer fearful or resisting every change or new thing. The man i was before the games couldn't even handle the threat of a threat. Now I can. Its like the games broke off whatever shell I'd trapped myself in. Is is wrong that I feel more alive now than I ever have in my life?"

"What if you don't want to be a doctor again? What if the games did make you alive? What does that mean to you?" Uri was interested in having his patients tell him what was going on. He didn't like to make nilly willy guesses.
"I don't know." Kato looked down. "Part of it worries me. For the last two weeks I've wondered...what if deep down I'm just a sick man turned on by violence...and that terrifies me. But then I remember how disturbed I am by my dreams, how terrible I feel that my wife would be hurt by me. I'm not a violent man...I don't want to be one. I want to help my family, help other people. Just maybe not as a doctor...for the time being."
Uri made another mark on little notebook he had. "You want to help people still. What other kind of work have you looked at? Have you started any kind of research to determine what it is you would like to try your hand at?"
Kato shook his head. "Up till recently I've been trying to heal myself. I just started moving around again about a week ago. I'm sort of on edge that the military will be calling and ordering me back any day now."
"The military will not be calling you back into service quite yet." Uri knew they wouldn't call him back after the initial analysis and with the record of punching his wife even if it was in his sleep. "Currently anyone involved in the games are put on a delayed list. There are complications that result from them." Rubbing his chin he glanced at Kato. "How does that change things for you?"
Kato sighed, clearly relieved. "Yeah um, that is a weight off my mind for sure. There is still a chance they'll send me back though if this war doesn't end soon. If I let myself be the person I was before...I'm not sure I could survive a second tour." He replied honestly.
"So you still sense the need to grow. Which area would you prefer to grow in and where would it take you?" Uri held his hand up. "I don't want you to answer that now. It is something you need time to think about and you would probably do best to talk with your wife. You will need her to know and support your choices. Let me know next meeting what it was that you decided."
Kato nodded. "Ok. What about these dreams. What can I do to protect her?"
The doctor took a deep breath. "You may propose to sleep on separate beds in the same room. It is something that you should find a workable solution with your wife on."
Kato nodded and stood. "Thankyou, Dr. Uri. I'll consider your question." He shook the man's hand and left to return home and tell Anna how it had gone.

After the bath Killian got himself dressed. Wandering out to the bedroom he saw the bottle sitting on his night stand and the two little pills sitting next to it. He wasn't sweating at this point, but his muscles were cramping up so badly that he could barely walk without cringing. Sitting down on the edge of the bed he groaned and drank as much of the water as he could bear for now. Star was always so careful and she came into the room with the soup for him. Killian took the bowl and he glanced over at her sheepishly. "I'm sorry. Still not quite sure how I got into all this."

The process of getting addicted was almost impossible to keep track of. It was almost like it had happened overnight. Killian thought for a long moment and then he resumed eating. He intended to take it slow considering how the last meal didn't sit well in his guts. Barely finishing the soup he set the bowl aside and then he laid back in the bed. Only about half hour later he rolled off the bed and stumbled for the bathroom. Never in his life had he managed to get sick enough to run out both ends. By the time he was done, Killian was pretty sure that he was safe to move. Just as he was about to open the bathroom door he turned around and went back to sit on the toilet while holding the bucket again.

Every cell in his body seemed to scream for the drugs. He needed something and it would settle all of this. Just one pill. Killian had told her he wouldn't do it and as badly as he wanted to quit there was an intense drive and urge for the medicine. Right now it was a bonus that he was too sick to leave and she was here to monitor him. Despite all that Killian still buckled his pants back on after he finished the second round of being sick and started to dig through his night stand. The sweats started all over again and his hands quivered while he dug through the drawers. There was nothing like this that he had ever experienced. That sensation of doom that overwhelmed him when he discovered there weren't anymore. Not one that he had dropped and Killian was tempted to just lay down and die. Those pills were the only thing he could think about for hours until he got sick again and he had to go back to the bathroom.

As he prepared to leave the bathroom he found the note on the counter that he had left earlier. Grabbing the crumpled piece of paper he slouched against the cabinet in the bathroom. That position didn't last long and he had to go back to the toilet this time to just puke. By that night Killian threw a few towels on the floor to act as padding and took his pillow with some blankets into the bathroom. Laying down on the floor in front of the toilet he groaned and remained there for almost another two days. No matter what Star said he wasn't moving cause the urge to puke or do anything else was sudden and he was tired of having to get out of bed all the time.

By the fourth day it started to subside and the restless part was beginning to fade. Killian had large rings under his eyes and he managed to lose a few pounds that he shouldn't have. If there was ever a time that he looked like an addict it was right now. Gathering up the dirty things from the floor and stripping his clothes off he threw it all into the laundry basket except for the note which was put onto the counter again.

A hot shower felt good and he was so tired that by the time he finished the shower Killian only put on a pair of boxers before crawling into bed. Like usual it was a restless sleep that was plagued with the memories of the past and fears of the future. Some of it was logical and other parts not so much. Then again there wasn't any comfort in assessing an idea as illogical. Killian had never thought that Star would end up in the games and she had. He couldn't even save her. Instead it had to be Kato and then the doctor turned around and saved him to. If anyone was deserving of recognition for that day it was the doctor and yet this wasn't the sort of thing that you congratulated a person on. It seemed that the majority of the symptoms had left by dinnertime and he felt ravenous. The belt had to be tightened by 3 notches and that was apparently quite a bit of weight. More than he thought anyway. Even his shirt looked a little loose. "Oh I look like shit." Grumbling he looked at himself in the mirror and tried to make his hair somewhat behave, but he knew what he looked like most days anyway, so he stepped out of the room and sat down at the table. "Well here I am."

***********************************************************************************************

Even if Kato had gone to the doctor for help it was impossible for Anna not to worry. What would he talk to the doctor about and what in the world could take him this long to say? She started to worry that maybe they had decided to institutionalize him and that wasn't what Kato needed at all. Finally she couldn't help herself and she called the office. "Hello, this is Mrs. Jones. I'm calling to see if my husband Kato is still there."

"Oh he just left a minute ago." The receptionist replied brightly. "He has an appointment for next week. Did you want to make an appointment for before or after his?"

Without thinking Anna blurted. "Yes I need the appointment after his. Thank you." Hanging up she glanced at Jacob and Joseph. The two of them were attacking each other with little dinosaur toys and they seemed to have caught onto the growling whether their father had been much for growling or not. It was only natural and they were healthy boys that were happily playing around and tumbling, hitting, kicking, and screaming as needed. All of it normal and healthy behavior that she couldn't help grinning about. Kato would have been so horrified only 3 years ago. More than likely he would have thought there was something wrong with them instead of realizing it was just part of discovering yourself as a healthy little person.

Finally Kato walked through the door and Anna's gaze lifted. "How was the appointment?" She wanted desperately for it to have helped him some. Anna needed Kato to be ok.

In some ways Doctor Uri was surprised to receive another phone call from Killian. It seemed that he wanted to come in and get some help. "I have a slot 3 days from now. How is that detox going?"

"Oh its done." Killian noticed the slightly surprised tone in the doctor's voice. He must have gotten through it a few days faster than the man had anticipated. "I guess having Chippeqouti blood is a good thing?" The doctor only nodded and marked a few other things down while they were talking. After what seemed like a long time to be quiet Killian piped up again. "Need to talk about more than just the drugs." If he was going to go through with this like he promised Star it would have go a lot deeper than the abuse of the pain medications. There were decades of things that bothered him now. As odd as it felt since he had always thought 40 would mark him as being 2/3 done with his life he was still feeling like a young man and hardly looked different from when he'd met Star. Perhaps the only noticeable difference was his eyes. They had see too much and it showed.

When the day came for the meeting Killian sat down in the office. He went in by himself for this one. Star had enough things to do and worry about. Doctor Uri pointed out a small sitting area for Killian to sit down in and Killian barely sat on the edge of the seat. He couldn't quite make himself sit all the way on the chair.

Noting the obvious apprehension about this entire meeting the doctor carefully looked up from his notes. "You want to get better for your family is that right?" A nod answered his question and he marked it down. "What we really need is for you to unpack what has been going on in your mind behind the scenes. There are a lot of reasons for the way you do things and how you act with your family. A lot of good things and then some others. There's reasons for the drug abuse and reasons for the nightmares. Are they all linked or is it perhaps a little more?" Usually the doctor was a bit more assertive when the patient made the first step. It was required to make the kind of progress they wanted to see and he was surprised that Killian had even come to him for help. His first impression was that the man would never talk to him about anything.

"It's a lot more than just the games." Almost in shame he dropped his head and stared at the carpet. "Some things I never talked to anyone about. What if I can't tell you?" Killian desperately hoped that there was some way he could still recover even if he couldn't bring himself to say it here.

Taking a deep breath the doctor thought for a moment. "You need to determine who you're going to tell this to then? Tell the person it affects the most. Let them know what happened and come up with a reasonable way to work through things then. I will need to know who you will be talking with and if you really want help I will hold you accountable for telling them and coming up with a plan together. Depending on the information they may want some help dealing with you and these things as well."

Killian nodded. "Star is the only one I would talk to." He swallowed hard and he peered out the window of the building. "She might need some help if I talk with her about some of this stuff."

Last edited:
The days of the detox were torture. More so for Killian but, in a way, just as much for Star. It killed her to see him in so much pain and so sick for so long. She was terrified that at any moment he would just keel over and die or have one last seizure that turned his brain to mush. She made him as comfortable as possible, making sure he stayed hydrated (even if that meant putting in a temporary i.v.) and doing load after load of laundry and constantly sanitizing the toilet, the bucket and the floor when he was in the shower.

Star hated it when he took to sleeping on the floor of the bathroom, but with him so sick she understood the reasoning. When it became apparent he was going to stay there for a while she did her best to make it comfortable as possible by moving out the little dresser and laying down a thin mattress and lots of blankets and pillows on the ground for him so he could be at least semi-comfortable, though...there was nothing comfortable about this.

When it seemed Killian was finally on the tail end of the detox, Star had Aurora bring the kids back. Claire, Mikey and Zach swarmed her upon entering the house. Oh, how she'd missed her children. She laughed with them as they told her story after story of their adventures with Grandma Aurora. Claire naturally brought up the topic of wanting a dog again and they all ganged up on her with the idea. Finally they all brought up the inevitable question of where daddy was. "Daddy is sleeping. You can see him later, alright? For now throw your dirty clothes in the laundry and go play." She kissed them all and shooed them off.

Star had just served up dinner for the children and was about to begin eating dinner herself when Killian shuffled into the room and sat down."Well here I am."
"DADDY!" The screams echoed as all three kids rushed him. Immediately they peppered him with questions of why he looked so bad and when they were going to get a dog and rushed over each other to try and tell him all their stories at once. Star had to peel them off. "Ok, ok. We can tell daddy stories one at a time while we eat." She chuckled, making them sit back down.

Star kissed Killan on the head and served him a large plate of food. She couldn't help but notice how warn and tired he looked, not to mention how much weight he'd lost. Hopefully he'd get it back just as quickly as he lost it. She'd make certain of it.

"Which area would you prefer to grow in and where would it take you?"
The doctor's question echoed in his mind, and he wasn't quite certain how to answer it. He wanted to be...more. More adventurous, more bold, more loving and flexible, more of a man. Just...more. Where would that take him though? Of that he was uncertain.

Kato pushed open the door to the house and smiled gently at Anna as she rushed up to him, that sad, worried look on her face. He hated that look. She should've been smiling. He nodded reassuringly to her. "It went well I think. I have another appointment for next week. For now Dr. Uri suggested that we do separate beds in the same room so I don't hurt you again." He took Anna's hand and guided her to the couch, sitting her down. "Anna, does...did me being a doctor make you happy? Or...could you care less either way."
Anna was relieved that Kato had some solutions from the doctor and it sounded reasonable. They could still be in the same room and not lose that part of their relationship. So many of her fears were put aside with that one simple suggestion. Then it all blew out of proportion with Kato and his questioning of career. "What are you going on about? I just want you to have a safe job. Being a doctor was fine. Kato, I love you not your uniform, paycheck or job."
"So if I decided to do something different, something still safe, that wouldn't make you unhappy?" Kato clarifies. He was a bit concerned by her reaction to the question. What if it meant more to her than she was saying?
"No Kato it wouldn't make me unhappy if you changed your job." Anna frowned slightly. "Why? Are you thinking about something different?"
"Possibly. I don't know. Uri suggested I wait before making any rash life decisions like that but..." Kato shrugged. "I don't know, Anna. It feels like ever since that day in the games all my previous passions, aside from you, have just...they don't mean anything to me anymore. Perhaps its just a faze while I work through all this, but...if its permanent, and I decide to pursue something different, I just want to make sure you and the kids are happy. That's all I care about. That's all the matters to me."
The little woman took a deep breath and let it out before she said anything. "Then just take some time and lets hope that you find what it is you need to do with your life." Part of her was afraid of what he would choose to do if he wasn't a doctor anymore.

Kato looked at her worriedly. He could sense the tension in her voice. "I've upset you, haven't I? What are you thinking? What's wrong?"
"I'm not mad at you." Anna's voice began to raise and she shifted uncomfortably on the couch. "We aren't the same after that and I'm afraid of what you'll choose to do. What if you don't want to be a doctor anymore? What is it you want to do? What is it that catches your interest?"
Kato shrugged. "I don't know. I really don't. I just know I'd like to do something more with my life than go to work, research come home and sleep. You and kids, you're my life, but I know you want a life as well, which you haven't had much of one since the kids were born. What would you like to do? Would you like to travel? Get involved with some secret organization that will change the galaxy?" He asked the last question a little mischievously.
A slight grin began to play at the corners of Anna's mouth. "Of course I'd rather the latter and I think somehow you might have finally seen the light. Is that what you want?" Part of her knew he was teasing and yet she was wondering if deep down inside he was now serious about wanting more than just being a doctor for himself. She could more than prepare him for this kind of life and involvement if he wanted to get started.
There it was. That beautiful little grin, the light in her eyes. He smiled nodded. "If that's what you want...then its what I want."

Just then the kids burst in from the other room screaming and growling while chasing each other with the dinosaurs. Kato stood and scooped them up, one under each arm and raced with them around the house. As long as his family was happy, he was happy.

While Killian had been with Dr. Uri, Star had dropped the kids off at school, done some much needed shopping and was now napping on the couch. It was the first time in several weeks she'd had any time just to herself. She woke up when Killian came through the door and sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Hey? How'd it go?" She asked with a small yawn.
Killian looked at Star and he almost wanted to just run away. Taking a deep breath he sat in the chair opposite the couch. "It went fine."
Star nodded. "Did he suggest you to do anything I should be aware of?"
"I can't talk to him so he wants me to talk to you about stuff. If you're willing to do that you might need to talk with the doctor too." Killian dropped his head into his hands. "There's so much...."
Star's forehead knit together slightly and she sat up. "I'm here for you Killian. You know there is nothing you can say that would chase me away or make me think less of you."
He shook his head and rubbed his face before looking at her. "I know. If you didn't run off by now I don't think anything would change your mind. Just there's stuff that I've never talked about and even if I say I can't the doctor wants me to. You're the only one I can trust." Killian almost gave her a pleading gaze. She didn't understand and he couldn't say that he wanted her to and yet he did. "Just don't push. I'll try to tell you in my own time. I can push myself."
Star nodded. "Whatever you need. The kids are gone for a couple hours...so now is probably the best time to talk about the things on the forefront of your mind."

This was what made it difficult. He had to go ahead when he had the time without the kids at home. "I always promised myself as a smuggler I wouldn't have women or children on the ship. There were reasons." Swallowing he turned his face away from her. "Told you I hurt my leg and the smugglers that found me under the crates threw me out." Killian could barely look at her before he looked at the floor with shame. "Never told anyone that I had to let older kids use me for weeks in exchange for food. Its what I had to do to survive and soon as I could put weight on my leg I killed one of them when they came for me. Wasn't just me, they would take the food to try and keep me weak. Only got enough to survive." Letting out a long breath he almost trembled. "Not much more I can tell you about that time. It changed me and how I viewed people."
Star wished he was sitting beside her so she could hold him. Instead she stood and came to on the footrest in front of him, putting a hand on his leg. "How did it change things?" She could imagine, having gone through the same thing herself, but experiencing such trauma as a child would have been far worse.
There were so many questions and he didn't like to answer them. "I...I knew people didn't want to help. Nobody wanted to help a dirty boy sitting in the streets. Didn't matter how I begged. So I decided I had to get and do everything for myself." Killian didn't want to look at her even when she settled next to him. "I could have a crew, but I couldn't control their appetites so I refused all women and children. Yes, I was afraid the same thing would happen and I couldn't do anything about that sort of event on my ship without creating mutiny. Learned the life of smugglers and that's why captain's like myself would dock and let the men go out. Learned it was the best way to protect folk from getting hurt. Anyone that got in the way of business knew it was at their own risk."
Star stroked his arm. "Even after all you've gone through, you still have an amazing heart." She kissed his hand. "Its one of the many reasons why I love you."
"Amazing heart my ass." Killian snorted. "I don't know why you think that." He had struggled since the beginning with what he had to do and she was always trying to tell him that it was ok. "Probably hurt just as many folks doing what I did as I prevented from getting hurt."
"That was the past though, Killian. You're a better person now. You've grown and learned so much since that time. And yes, your life has sucked and you've had to make some horrible, impossible decisions, but you don't have to let those things keep you down. Talk about them and let them go. We have a new life here."

Somehow just letting the past go was a nice idea. "In theory it might work. Past does an awful lot to make us who we are." Killian looked at her. "I tried so hard to save those kids at the game and they still killed them. If they didn't make it to the ship then I failed. No matter what I do I still lose."
"It hurts, Killian, I know. There was no winning that day. But you got me and the others out. That was as much of a win as we could've gotten that day. It's not your fault."
"Damn it! I don't care if you think its my fault or not." Killian finally looked up at her. "Star this is about the fact that they're still winning. Those nobles are still killing people and they still have me messed up. I dream about this stuff almost every night and I'm terrified and angry. I want to go back into the war and I want to make sure the Gillick nobles are destroyed."
Star blinked at him. He wanted to go back to war? "You're in no condition to be going back, Killian." She pleaded with him. "There are plenty of other people fighting.
"Plenty of other people getting slaughtered. The Gillick's want to kill me and all the other Chippeqouti because we can stop them. They pride themselves on their brains and they have and will continue to make fatal errors. If we don't win this war I won't have a home or family to come back to."
"And if you get killed, you won't come back at all." Star's forehead furrows. "Killian, look at you. You're barely holding yourself together as it is. The last thing you need is more violence. There's only so much a person can take and its clear you've reached your breaking point."

Finally looking up he clenched his jaw when she started to talk about what he needed. "I broke a long time ago Star. You can't fix that. I don't even know what I'm supposed to tell you or what is important to tell people. I could ramble and tell you all the things wrong that happened as a kid. All the times I thought I wouldn't make it. Those moments that changed me and it wouldn't change who I am."
"And who do you think you are, Killian?" Star asked solemnly.
Killian rubbed the palm of his left hand and sighed. "I don't know. Do we define ourselves by what we do? What we've accomplished or who want to be? Just wanting to be something is never enough and that only leaves two more areas and if I go by what I do and what I've done then I am a monster."
"Who do you want to be, Killian?" Star asked kindly, her eyes sad.
This question seemed to lead nowhere. Wanting to be someone couldn't make him that person. "Same thing I wanted as a kid only I guess I'll have to change my role a little. I want to have a family. All I want to be is a father, I want a boring job, want to come home every night and I want to make sure my kids are safe. Star, I want to go to the park and watch them play and I don't want to see them worry about what they're gonna eat. Just wanted to be a normal guy and that's impossible after the games."
"No its not, Killian. You can still do all that. Why do the games have to change that? It doesn't. You can and are still an amazing dad, with an incredible wife, with a good home and potential for a boring 9 to 5 job. You just need time to put the past behind you and realize that future is still possible."

Grabbing Star around the waist he pulled her up onto his legs and scooted them further back into the chair. It still hurt a little to have all her weight, but he didn't mind so much. "Nobody wants me for a boring job. They all know who I am and that's what they want. I want to just run security like I did before the war." Maybe the job wasn't ideal, but it was as close as he could get to the boring life and still provide for his family. "They're gonna make me go back if I get better and I won't be cleared to work security again unless I get better."
Star put her hands behinds his head, gently massaging his neck. "Don't worry about that right now, Killian. Just work on you, and getting better. We can deal with the other stuff in time. Right now, I just want you to heal so that you can be the epic dad and husband you want to be." She leaned forward and kissed him, resting her forehead on his own.
It was almost impossible for him to shut off his brain. Killian wanted to have all of this planned out in advance. "What if I just run a private security firm. I could learn about business. Maybe contract out to private homes or businesses." Kissing Star in return he grinned a little. "I'm not really worried about me right now. Like usual it will get better with time."
"Yes it will...but only if you work with Dr. Uri and talk about this crap instead of burying it down like you have before. Alright?" Star's grip on his neck tightens slightly. "Promise me you'll let him help you."

Her hands were almost cool resting against his neck and he took a deep breath. "I told you I would deal with it. This is my best effort. You already heard everything that was on my mind today. Stuff that's been bothering me for a while." Sometimes he wasn't sure how this sort of thing was supposed to work. "Why didn't you see me as a monster? You're different than most folks and you weren't afraid of me. Why?" It had been the sole reason he was attracted to her and he didn't know if there was something he did that he might be able to duplicate so others could see him that way. Killian had always thought that he treated Star the same as he treated everyone else.
Star shrugged. "Maybe because you were the first man I met who showed interest me but didn't try to take advantage. Once I gained your trust you were always protective and made sure I was taken care of. I understood your logic for most of the things you did, even though I may not have always agreed with them and I saw that the logic always stemmed from trying to do what was best for you and the crew. I appreciated that. Most people I knew just made decisions that bettered themselves and not those who they were responsible for."
"That's romantic." Giving her a slight roll of his eyes he couldn't help the growing smirk. "Guess we got together for the right reasons. We liked the person not necessarily caught up in emotion." It complicated his problem though. "How do I make it easier for people to see me different. I want to be different. Star I've lived here long enough to see you made sense. Couldn't make out the reason for a conscience all that time ago and now I want it."
Star chuckled lightly. "That...even I'm not certain how to answer that one. Why don't you work changing how you see yourself first." Star pokes his chest gently. "As long as you see yourself as a monster, so will everyone else. When you see yourself as a loving father, and a good man...like I do...then that image will naturally begin portraying itself to others as well."

"Huh," Killian shifted on the chair. "What if I just picked you up and dropped you on the couch over there?" He couldn't help wanting to do something slightly mischievous. "I'm not even sure I could live a boring life. You know I'll find trouble if it doesn't find me first."
"I think you'll have no shortage of excitement helping me raise three children and running your own security business, if you decide to start that." Star replied with a smile. "As for dropping me on the couch...I think the bed might be better." She smirked.
"I wasn't thinking about that." Killian smirked. "Now, that you've mentioned it."
Star chuckles. "Well, what were you thinking about then?"
"That idea was kinda shot soon as you mentioned the other." Killian chuckled. "I was just thinking of dropping you on the couch that was it. Maybe coming back to bug you."
Star laughed and kissed him again. "Yeah, I like my idea better."

Killian didn't even bother to shut the door to their bedroom. The kids weren't home and there was nobody else around. There was only one bad thing about times like this with Star...he tuned almost everything else out including the sound of the front door opening.

"Mom! Dad! We're home! We're hungry! Mom?" Zack dropped off his backpack on the chair as Claire and Mike flew to the T.v. Star gripped Killian’s arm, turning bright red at the sound of children entering the house and the door to their bedroom wide open. "Killian! Shut the door!" She exclaimed in a loud whisper.

Those little voices did catch his attention and Killian looked at Star and then over his shoulder. "We could have just pulled the covers over us and they're busy kids wouldn't notice anyway." Sighing he rolled himself to the edge of the bed and walked over to the door buck naked. Killian wasn't quite as concerned about modesty.

"Mom! I'm hung...." He paused as he encountered Killian at the door. "Where are your clothes?" Star turned bright red and pulled the covers over her head.

It was just one of those times where things ironically could and did get worse. Zack appeared about time Killian had reached the door. So the only way to get out of this was to act as if it was normal. "Yep we heard. You uh...Go watch some tv with Claire and uh...Mike." Of course Zack had to point out that he didn't have clothes and Killian didn't want to explain anything else about himself just now. "Because your mom and I were having sex. So when we're done...Just go over to the tv." Shutting the door he wandered back to the bed. "There its all taken care of."

"OH my gosh! Killian! Why'd you have to tell him that!!" Star exclaimed from under the covers. "Now he's gonna start asking what sex is...and...damn it Killian. I'm not ready to have that conversation with an eight year old!"

Even after he had returned to the bed Star kept the covers over her head as if she was embarrassed. Her tone of voice was a little surprising. "Its not a big deal. You just tell him what happens."

Star moans, her hands covering her face beneath the sheet. "You brought it up....you get to tell him."

"Ok." Killian carefully plucked at the covers. "So we gonna finish what we started, or are you too embarrassed?" He really couldn't see why a person should be embarrassed about something like this. Frustrated yes, but it was natural and everyone found out what it was at some point.

She pulled the covers down just enough to peek at him with a half glare. Her face still bright red. "I haven't decided yet."

"No reason to be embarrassed. People do this everyday and besides you were hiding under the covers." Killian chuckled a little. "You've never had that happen before? It would be a first to have a kid walk in, but they probably already know the basics anyway." Growing up in a whore house he knew all about it early on. Most of the kids in the streets knew about it too.

"Not really, Killian. Most kids who grow up in normal families have no idea about any of this stuff till they are least 12. You knew about it as a kid cause you were around it all the time. He has no clue."

"Oh." He shrugged. "Wont' hurt anyway. So uh....I'll just wait for him to ask me about it?"

Star's face had finally regained its color and she pulled down the sheet from her face. "I dunno. I've never had a kid this age. Your guess is as good as mine. But..." She pointed her finger sternly at Killian. "You are NOT taking him to a brothel when he is of age like you were going to do with Timo."

"Why not?" Killian was genuinely taken back. "It keeps him from getting confused about what he likes or doesn't. Makes sure he finds a good woman to breed with or mate or marry. You know what I meant."

Star groaned and rubbed her face. "Cause it's wrong on so many levels. You don't just have sex cause you like it, Killian. Its supposed to be about connection with the person you love. Add to that, you know how I feel about prostitution and men paying for something that should only be with your partner." Her expression turned dark, memories of darker times rising to the surface and she clutched the blankets closer to her, her eyes falling to the bed.

"Never heard it put that way before." Killian couldn't help noticing the look on her face. "Hey this means more to me than just liking it. I quit other women cause you asked me to." Searching her gaze he studied her for a long moment. "So you want to teach them to wait till they find a life partner? How will they know what they like or don't like?"

"When you find someone you love deeply, you learn and you adapt with that person. Some things aren't meant to be experimented with so casually." She sat up and pulled on her sweatshirt, the mood thorougly killed. "They don't have to wait till they find a life partner, but it should be someone they care for deeply and are serious about possibly making them their life partners."

A thoughtful frown came to Killian's face. Sometimes it felt like he was so far out of his depth and this was one of those moments. Somewhere he had missed all sorts of codes that dictated a normal life. "So....This is one of those little things that fall under conscience or is it moral?" Seemed that they were done for now and he figured a cold shower could fix the rest of the issue for himself. "Trying to learn all this. Sorry."

"No, its fine." Star rubbed her face. "Um...a little bit of both maybe. Its more of a personal conviction and conscience. You'll find tons of people who think differently then me. It might be I feel this way just cause of my own personal experience, but...its important to me. Specially after what happened on that prision planet." She stared at her knees, which she'd pulled up to her chest. "Sorry, I just totally killed our one quiet moment together in ages."

Killian listened to her quietly and let out a long breath. "I don't as if you killed it. Might have been interrupted." He couldn't help chuckling a little bit and then he shifted to sit up on the bed. Leaning over he kissed her gently on the cheek. "I'll get showered up and we can make some dinner for the kids. Take your time. They survived this long and I think they can wait a little longer." Getting off the bed he took himself to the shower and when he came out Star had barely started her work in the kitchen. Carefully working his way in behind her he wrapped his arms around her waist. "You know I love you." Kissing her on the cheek he held onto her for just a second before he let her go and stepped to the side of the counter to help get some vegetables chopped.

Later that evening Zack cautiously looked at Killian and he knew that he could ask anything and his adopted dad would answer. The boy stood in front of Killian and swallowed. "What's sex?"

That question came just like Star said and he glanced at her. Maybe he had asked her first and she sent Zack here. Killian sighed. "Well you got a stick right?" The kid gave him that blank look and Killian did his best to explain it and the boy turned bright red. "Anyway, girls got a special hole that you put it in. Nothing like it in the world and it feels good, but uh...You got to wait a long time till you do that. When you're all grown up you can start thinking about that stuff. Star has a few other little rules that are good for you to learn about that stuff."

It almost seemed as if Kato was going to happily play with the boys and try to ignore everything else going on in his life. This wasn't a good sign, but she knew that it might take a little time for him to catch on. By the time a week had passed and still it seemed there wasn't much progress she called Doctor Uri. "Would going on a vacation with another couple that are dealing with similar issues help? I just need him to have some time out of the house with other people."

The doctor wasn't entirely surprised to hear from one of the wives though he had thought that perhaps he would have heard from Star instead of Anna. Listening to her proposal he took a deep breath. "It might help. If you plan such an event be sure that the families have separate quarters. Being with others is important, but so is the ability to escape and have time to yourselves." At least she was listening and the woman sounded like she would be ok with that for now. "Be sure if you do this to go someplace the kids will be safe to go outside for a while. Should be a low stress environment. A change of scenery would probably be a good thing."

Since she had an ok from the doctor Anna almost immediately called Star. "Hey we should head out to a planet for a few weeks and just get the guys out of here. Kato needs to be out of the house. I'm afraid he's starting to shut himself off from the world."

Star's dreams that night were the worst they'd been since the games. The conversation with Killian had drudged up memories of her time in the planetary prison. A time she had desperately tried to forget. All the pain of it had come rushing back, and it seeped into her dreams. The terror of the games mixed in the abuses of the past and the stories Killian had shared about what happened to those not strong enough to resist the guards. She woke herself up weeping, her pillow drenched in tears from the violations that felt so real.
She rolled over and clutched Killian's shirt, not caring in that moment if she woke him or not. She just needed the reassurance he was still there beside her, and that she was safe.

Anna called the next morning suggesting a vacation which sounded amazing. She could tell Anna was worried about Kato even before she said why she wanted to go on vacation. Their conversations had been scattered due to lack of time between the things they had been going through and the families to take care of. They made the plans to meet day after tomorrow at the ship to start their vacation and Star hurried off to inform Killian and the kids about the vacation plans and help them start packing.

So far Killian hadn't asked about last night, he probably thought it was just another nightmare. They both had them so frequently they'd stopped asking. Part of her hoped she would ask, but mostly she hoped he wouldn't. Despite Uri's suggestion that she talk about things, she didn't want to put any more of a burden on Killian or Anna that they already had. She was fine. She'd survived worse and come out stronger. She'd said what she'd needed to say and now she just needed time to heal. If things got worse she could always talk to Uri. For now though...she was just looking forward to vacation.

Kato seemed hesitant at first as Anna explained her's and Star's plan to take them on vacation to another planet. "What about the war?" He asked. "Wouldn't it be safer to remain on the planet rather than risk getting picked up by another Gillick cruiser?"
"It's further into our territory." Anna peered at him for a long moment. "We need to get someplace else for a few weeks and you need to get out of the house."
"Don't you mean you need to?" Kato chuckled. "I'm perfectly content here."
"You need to." Anna gave him a serious look. "You never leave the house, You stopped talking to almost anyone except the doctor, me and the kids." Keeping her gaze steady she waited for some kind of reaction. "I think you need to take some time to be with other folks and right now as much as you probably don't like Killian he is one person that understands and would be the last one to judge you. I need Star because she is another woman that understands and she would be the last one to judge me. We all need each other. It will help us get ready to be people outside of our homes again."
"Who do I need besides you and kids? I wasn't very social even before we got married." Kato shrugged. "You don't need to worry about me, Anna. I'm doing fine. Fewer dreams I think. When I have a reason to leave the house, I will. For now its vacation and I look forward to it. But you don't need to "force" me out of the house as if I'm some flower that will wilt without the sun." He chuckled.
"Well you do need to get out. You had a very social job and I don't want you to lose your good qualities."
"Oh?" Kato had to chuckle at that. "And what are these good qualities you're so afraid that I will lose?"
"You care about people and I don't want you to become afraid to care about those outside of the home." Anna couldn't help turning a little red. "I loved you and all your wonderful nerdy qualities for a long time."
Kato blinked. He felt like a red flag had just been waved in front of his face. Afraid to care about those outside of the home. Was that what was going on? Was he internally frightened of losing more people that he'd bothered to care about. Possibly. It was true. He had no desire to make any new friends, or start any new profession at the moment. He just wanted to be home with her and the children. Kato finally nods at her. "Alright. When do we leave?"

**********************************************************************************

Star and Anna greeted each other with tight hugs and the children with happy screams and laughter. The men put the luggage in separate rooms as the women rushed to navigation to set course for the nearest tropical planet with warm, pleasant weather and safe wide open spaces for the children to play. "Ah, I'm so excited. We need this vacation." Star sighed happily at Anna as she took the up into the atmosphere and set it on autopilot. With the controls safe to leave unattended for a bit they went to the kitchen to make and serve lunch for everyone.

Of course Claire was already at the table munching on a bag of chips. She had a ravenous appetite and ate a meal every few hours during her growing period. Star had learned many tricks to help the children with their growing pains and eating foods with the right nutrients as frequently as they could seemed to help significantly.

When the meal was finished and eaten the couple's sat around the table making small talk in between dealing with whatever crisis arose with the children. Kato kept looking out the window at the fading planet, growing increasingly nervous and concerned. He rung his hands beneath the table, worrying that at any moment a Gillick cruiser would come out of no where and capture them again. That Anna and his children would be forced into the games and killed or worse.

He jumped as Anna put a hand on his arm. "Kato? You ok?" Star asked in concern. Kato felt like his throat was closing up. He stood suddenly. "I...uh..." He couldn't think clearly to put together a coherent sentence and rushed to the bedroom where an overwhelming sense of panic hit him. He looked out the window for the danger that he could feel. His heart pounded and his body raced with adrenaline as he paced the room. Every nerve was on fire and his breath came in short bursts. They were going to be captured, killed. This panic wasn't logical and yet his mind screamed for him to turn the ship around and get them to safety back on the planet.

Kato was just about to do that very thing when Anna appeared in the doorway. "We need to turn around. Its not safe out here. You and the children...we need to go back to the planet. Now." He demanded urgently. They were in danger. They were all in danger.

The night was long and it felt like it would take forever to fall asleep. Killian couldn't help feeling that he had somehow failed Star with how he managed things and life in general. She could have had a far better man and she settled for him. As disappointing as it was realize that he didn't have much to offer to her as a woman and wife he was determined to become the kind of man that she deserved. There was no point beating himself up and since he had been doing his best he was going to do better. He felt a little colder than usual since he lost a few pounds and though he had gained some of it back Killian still wore a shirt to bed instead of just pajama pants.

During the night he drifted away from Star and buried his head under his pillow to sleep. While he was a little bit restless he had learned not to be startled when she was restless too. For the most part they were both accustomed to the other person's nightmares. This time it was a little different and he jolted only a little when he felt her fingers tug on his shirt. Shifting in the bed he moved a little closer to her and wrapped an arm over her shoulders before he dozed off again. If she had trouble going back to sleep or needed to say something he was pretty sure she would let him know. Otherwise this was the best he could do for now. He didn't know when she moved away or when Star got up the next morning. Even though he had told himself he was going to try and get up to help her while he was at home he slept in and she probably had breakfast done.

Killian scrambled out of the bed and he was immediately assaulted by the kids. They were asking about a dog and he almost said yes, but he caught Star's eye and he shook his head. "Nooooo. Well...I need to talk to you mom." He wanted to get them a dog very badly and he was here at home for a while so he could help train the animal. Of course she had saved some breakfast and he sat down to eat it quickly before heading into the living room to play with the kids. Claire wanted him to give her a horsey back ride and that resulted in all 3 kids piling onto him. "Such bunch of heavy little shits." Of course that got a round of giggles from the kids. None of them ever thought much of his statements when he was playing with them. Mostly they were concerned about the way he played and sometimes if he could read a story though the only one that seemed to appreciate his reading was Mike. The boy hadn't figured out that his father was halting at best when it came to reading out loud. By now Claire knew that Star was a far more accomplished vocalist and reader when it came to telling the stories out of the books.

In the middle of the morning activities he was interrupted by the news that they were going on a vacation. "Oh hurry up. Get off." Tipping to the side Killian let the kids all tumble off of him till they lay in a heap and all three of them were scrambling for their room. They were excited with the idea of a trip. "I'll get started packing then and if you help the kids I can get us ready." It was only part that he was helpful as it seemed that Star had a better idea of what she needed and she always found that he was missing something when she looked through his stuff in the bag.

Anna felt an intense growing excitement as the time drew closer for them to all load up. It was still upsetting how quiet Kato had stayed during the time that they were preparing to leave the house. No matter what she said or asked it was always just fine. For now she gave up the hope of addressing any concerns. She couldn't make him talk and he was probably going to just stay all locked up for a while.

Finally they reached the large family cruiser that she had rented and a broad smile came to her face. Star and Killian were arriving about the same time and she handed her bags to Kato. "I'm gonna go say hi to Star." Squealing she ran toward the other woman and wrapped her arms around her. "I've missed seeing you." As soon as Star's husband had gathered the bags and started to herd his little horde into the ship Anna grabbed her friend's hand. "C'mon we need to get the navigation room to pick the destination before they do." Almost running to the room Anna had a giddy laugh like a school girl. The two of them scrolled through the planets till she found one that looked like it would be suitable. "What do you think of that one?"

It was getting close to lunch time and Anna joined Star in the kitchen. Though the guys were supposed to be watching the kids she could tell it was all out of hand by now. There was a bunch of squealing and she watched as the remaining 4 children came racing into the kitchen all of them screaming with Killian crawling behind them growling like a bear. "Kids at the table." No matter what she said they were all clinging to the legs of their mothers and screaming with delight to save them. Star handed a wooden spoon to Star. "Wanna swat the bear?" At that it seemed that Killian was in a hurry to get up off the floor and quit creating mayhem. Kato was a bit slower coming to the table. Throughout the meal it seemed that he was still quiet and it worried Anna. The children were plenty wild and she could barely hold back her growing grin. They were still safe and they were blissfully unaware of the things that could happen.

A bit later after the games she decided to find Kato wherever he was at. He had left almost immediately after dinner and it had left her bit worried. Anna found Kato in their room turning into a panicked mess. "Kato we're not in danger."

Kato gripped her shoulders. "Out here in the ship we're vulnerable! The gillicks could come any second and capture us. You, and the children. Jacob and Jospeh...they would be killed in the games. I can't...we have to go back to the planet." He pleaded with her.

"No Kato they're aren't coming for us." Anna tried to reassure him and it seemed to be making almost no headway. "Why don't you come to the navigation room and look at this with me."

Kato nodded, trying to calm the sickening weight of fear and panic in his stomach. Part of him knew he was over-reacting, no doubt having some sort of panic attack, but he couldn't help how real it felt either. He followed Anna to Navigation, letting her assure him by showing that there were no ships on sensors. His heart was finally starting to calm, and the adrenline slowly began to fade. Still, there was that impending sense of doom as his eyes continued to watch the monitor with an eagle eye.

After she had gone over the scans with Kato Anna peered deeply into his eyes. "What is really going on? I know you're not fine."

Kato shook his head wearily. "I think, i think it was just a panic attack from worrying that the same thing that happened last time we were on a ship will happen again." He looked at her with a pained smile. "I'll be alright." Even still continued to glance at the monitor, his hand gripping the edge of the console till his knuckles turned white. His mind knew what was going on now, but still his body was reacting as if he was in immenate danger. "Sorry if I scared you." He apologized quietly.

"This isn't about scaring me." Anna tried not to sound irritated with him. "You're lying to me through your teeth every day and probably to the doctor and everyone else." She was finally getting ready to lose her temper and she looked at him. "You're not fine. What about this is fine?"

Kato looked up at her for a long moment. The last thing he wanted to do was cause her more pain and worry. "I'm...terrified. I'm terrified of losing you, and the children. I'm terrified of being drafted back into the army and having to kill more people. I'm terrified that what I've done and seen has awoken a craving violence and excitement to feel alive. I'm terrified of being so overwhelmed by all this I'll shut down completely and never get back up so I try and bury it so I can help you and the children. I don't want to be the stick in the mud that you constantly have to push and pull to get to do anything. I want to brave and strong, flexible and reliable. But above all I need to be ready for when I get drafted again. I'm terrified that if I don't remain strong...I'll break and I'll never make it back to you." Kato could have said more but no doubt she'd be overwhelmed by just that bit.
The little woman stared at him. "Then why don't you tell someone that can help you? I can't do anything to help you with that. Those are choices you need to make and I can't tell you anything. I'm your wife and I'm always going to want things to be ok and I'll always believe that you will come back no matter what happens. I have to." Anna stared at him. "Same as usual. Find someone who can be objective about this. Talk to Doctor Uri or Killian. I know you still don't like him and I doubt you have that much to say nice about him after the games. What he did was pretty horrendous at that cage. You have to talk to somebody though."

"I am trying, Anna." Kato sighed wearily. "I told Uri about much of this. And I just told you didn't I? I don't need Killian's corrupted sense of morals adding to my already confused mind." Kato stood, feeling worse after talking to her now rather than better. Perhaps it had been a mistake to tell her after all.

Sighing she nodded. "Alright. You just don't seem to be getting much better and if anything you're doing worse and I worry about you."

Kato put a hand on her shoulder. "I'm trying, Anna. I'm sorry its taking so long, but I am trying." He shuffles away.

These sort of things had her worried all the more. He didn't seem to be any better after this either. Didn't seem that there had ever been a particular amount of spunk to him and this entire thing with the games had only made it worse. Kato needed something more and he was somehow not catching that. Anna sat down on the edge of the bed and buried her head in her hands. Why couldn't he seem to get over this?

Nothing he did seemed to be good enough, Kato noted sullenly as they went to bed that night. He'd been helping her around the house, smiling, laughing, playing with the children and still she thought he was getting worse because of a small panic attack. She accused him of lying to her everyday, lying to the doctor when that couldn't be further from the truth. He'd always told her the truth, perhaps not sharing everything fully for fear that she would just worry more. And now tonight, even after opening up and sharing in vulnerability, all he'd received in return was her judgement and another accusal that he wasn't doing enough to get better. What did she want from him!? He was trying so hard. Trying to heal, while trying to remain positive, and trying to be a dad and trying to help her as well. He was doing his best to spend as much time with her as he could and she was accusing him of not getting out and being social enough.

Accusal, judgement, nagging... that was all he heard from her now adays it felt like. It was frustrating, and seemed to add yet another weight to his already burdened heart. When had the last time been that she'd simply accepted him...instead of pointing out his most recent flaw the thing currently wrong with him. When was the last time she had just hugged him for no reason? Or teased him with her flirtatious innuendos? Was she beginning to wish she'd never married him? He was trying...trying so hard and it still wasn't good enough.

Kato woke before Anna and sat at the window, staring out into space as his mind tried to make sense of everything. Little feet pattered towards him. Joseph had awoken and was crying softly, dragging around his blanket, no doubt confused and scared by the new surroundings. He lifted the toddler up, setting the boy on his chest. "There, there. You're alright now, Joseph. Daddy's got you. You know I've got you. I'll always protect you." The toddler stuck his thumb in his mouth and lay his head on Kato's shoulder as his father continued to stroke his back. "We're ok, aren't we buddy? We're all ok."

***************************************************************************************

Star gaped up at the sky as they exited the ship the following afternoon. The sky was a bright blue green with hints of orange near the sky line as the sun began to set. A nearby blue and green planet took up a quarter of the view of space, a beautiful view far different from the two moons back home. Sparse purplish-blue trees dotted the landscape, getting less and less closer to the golden beach sands of this planet. The very water glowed with a luminescent blue light. A harmless chemical reaction of the water upon the sand which also caused a small dense fog to spread across the ground, thicker the closer you got to the water.

"Wow...now this is beautiful." Star grinned as the children rushed towards the beach. "Don't go into the water until we get there!" She called to them and shook her head at their excitement. She looked over her shoulders at the rest of the adults still coming down the ramp with various things for a picnic. "C'mon slow pokes. We've only got a few hours till the sun sets here for the night."

Kato was feeling a bit concerned about the safety of their children swimming in alien waters. What if there were creatures lurking beneath the surface. What if there were sink holes ready to suck them in or rip-tides threatening to pull their tiny bodies under the water never to be found again. Needless to say, despite trying to put on a smile for Anna, he was feeling quite worried about the well-being of all the children and planned to stay close by in case something happened.

Killian walked slowly down the ramp. He had tried to keep himself somewhat calm for the sake of everyone else. Mostly he just wanted to let loose and race ahead with the kids. Nothing like getting into the water and...."Damn I'm just gonna do it." Walking a little faster he caught up with the kids and then bolted ahead to get to the water. By the time the rest of them caught up he had his boots off and he'd already waded into the water. The waves were lapping at his pants and and he leaned against one of the rocks. It looked like Kato was lagging behind and he was getting that paranoid expression.

Normally a look like that didn't bother him, but he knew it wasn't normal for the man. All the same there wasn't anything he could do about it either. Claire was sneaking up to the rock where Killian was and she could barely hold back her little giggles. "You better watch out." Killian mumbled to her. A little wave was coming and he knew it would wipe her right off her feet. "Better run back to mom." Of course that didn't do anything and the girl kept giggling until the waves swept her right off her feet and as she began floating past Killian he grabbed her out of the water and Claire spluttered a few times. Giant crocodile tears rolled down her face and he started to laugh while he held her. "I told you to go back to your mom." It seemed she only wailed more and he started back toward the beach with her. "You're fine. Quit the blubbering."

Now Mike was afraid to get wet and Killian grabbed the kid and drug him into the water while the boy threw his head back and screamed. "You won't have any fun in life if you don't learn to do stuff no matter how damn scared you are." With one hand he splashed the boy and then stopped so that he was protecting Mike from the incoming waves. After a few moments of stamping his feet and crying Mike finally settled down and decided the water wasn't so bad. Claire was always more adventurous and she came toddling back out to the waves.

Just to play it safe Killian moved to more shallow waters and sat down in the water with the kids. Personally he didn't care if his pants were soaked or not. Both kids sat down with him and started to splash. Occasionally one of them would get up and decide that it was a good time to stand on his legs and grasp his shirt so they could see his face better.

Anna sat on the side and watched the little scene unfold. Kato wasn't really involved since he was too busy stressing about every little detail. Glancing at Star she grinned weakly. "Well I guess you could say a vacation was needed. How are things going? He seems to be adjusting to life just fine. Back to playing with the kids. You two make it all look so easy."

"Believe me. Its not. We still have alot to work through. But we find joy in the little moments, like this...and that makes things a little easier, you know?" Star smiled at her.

"It is so hard to enjoy all the little things when Kato is constantly running around with that look on his face." Anna sighed. "You ever run into a funk like that with Killian? Any advice on how to get Kato out?"

"Support him. Try and treat him like everything is good and getting better until things do. That's what I had to do with Killian for several weeks before he started believing he could get better and would get better. I have to do it for myself to, else I might just crumble." Star chuckles lightly and looks over at Anna. "As long as you stay positive, he'll have something to look forward to and reach for."

Anna chuckled a little. "Oh that's good to know." She knew she was horrible at that. "I'm a bit of a realist and you...Well what can I say. You always seemed to be able to pull off a bit of the dreamer side and you see things that the rest of us don't. I would never have imagined that Killian would turn out to be the kind of person he is. I love Kato and it is so hard for me to see him suffer like this. Maybe I've pushed too hard for him to heal. I'll have to try pretending that its all ok as long as he's actually working on it. I'm just scared he'll quit trying."

"He won't." Star assures her. "He wants to be healthy for you as much as you do. No one wants to be in pain. I'm not talking about being unrealsitic either. I still let Killian know I know when he's in pain, when he's doing better and when he needs to improve, I just make sure the majority of our interactions are...positive and normal, whenever possible. Helping remind him of whats healthy and normal gives him the thing to strive for and a realistic goal to reach aside from "get better"." Star chuckled as Kato jumped up and grabbed Claire, pulling her back towards the beach as she wandered a bit to deep into the ocean. "I'm not sure what you're so worried about. He seems to be his normal nervous self."

Like usual Killian was just waiting for Claire to figure out that going too deep wasn't a good thing. He could pull her out if she needed it, but instead Kato was rushing ahead and trying to save Claire. Anna smirked. "Not really. He was ready to break down on the ship. Practically begged me to turn us around cause the Gillicks were going to catch us all. I struggle with that stuff too, but I don't want to be bound to the house because of a stupid fear."

Star nods. "I get that." She squeezes her friend's hand. "At the very least, try to have some fun and relax yourself. You look like you could use it."

"I can try." Anna stood up. "Are you going to come with? We both need a little fun."

The women splashed around in the water almost as enthusiastically as the children. Star made sure Anna had as much fun as she could. At one point she splashed some water at Kato getting a strange look from him in return. "Relax. The kids are fine. Killian's got them." Star said, but that didn't seem to assure him at all. Though his expression relaxed more the longer they were here, he was still watchful of the kids.

When the sun began to set and the air grew cool the two families gathered up the children and belongings and shuffled to the ship to take showers and go to bed. Star and Anna stayed up a little later then the men talking and updating one another on life. Star almost told Anna about her most recent dreams but they were still a bit to close and personal to say outloud. Hopefully they would just fade from memory like so many previous dreams. She did however, tell Anna about the fiasco with Zach walking in on them and Killian's horrific explanation later on. Star shook her head. "Poor lad is going to be so traumatized. I'm going to have to go and talk him myself and explain everything since Killian seems to be pretty clueless."

Eventually Star got up with a yawn, said goodnight to Anna and joined Killian in bed only to find that Claire and Mikey had already taken her spot. "Little buggers." She growled playfully. She picked up Mikey and carried him back to his own little bed and then tried to move Claire but the toddler was so heavy and had an iron grip on Killian's arm. Eventually she relented to sleeping with the curly-haired babe between them.

Kato was still awake and remained awake long after Anna had gone to bed. He couldn't help the fear and the worry that something was going to happen while they slept. In addition, there weren't two beds for them here and he was worried about having another nightmare and hurting Anna again. Both good reasons to stay awake. He grabbed a cup of coffee and wandered over to navigation to check the monitor for the umpteenth time. He knew nothing would appear, that his fear wasn't exactly rational, and yet...it plagued him and he couldn't rest.

There was a sudden blip on the monitor right outside the ship. By the time Kato had figured out the reading was just an animal his body was in full panic mode. It took everything he had not to grab the controls and take the ship into space and back home right there. His coffee was left forgotten on the console as he paced and fought against the horrible panic. His chest tightened to the point he could barely breath. He tried to call to memory what he would to do for patients who experienced dramatic panic attacks like this and raced to the medbay.

Kato grabbed the oxygen tank, sat on one of the beds and held the mask over his own face as tears streamed down his cheeks. He just wanted Anna to be safe. Wanted the children to be safe. He just wanted to be healthy and reliable and now what little sanity he had left was being torn at with these attacks. He could self medicate but he knew the dangers and horrors of that road and he wasn't willing to do that to his family. Perhaps he was going to have to be more consistent about talking with Uri.
Despite his desire to stay awake, eventually exhaustion overwhelms him and in the wee hours of the morning he falls asleep in the med bay, finding comfort in the familiar.

********************************************************************************************
Star wakes with a foot to the face. She sits up with a start and glares at Claire who'd been thrashing in her sleep. "Little brat..." Star grumbles and sits up with a yawn. Killian was still sound asleep, unaffected by their daughter's thrashing feet. She smirked at the thought of turning Claire and letting her kick Killian awake in the same way. Instead she stood up and wrapped a sweater around her as she shuffled into the kitchen.

Kato was already there, looking terrible with a cup of day old coffee in his hand. Star gave the worn looking man a look and started brewing a new pot. "You don't look like you slept much." She notes.
Kato looked up at her. "Hmm? Um, no...not really."
Star sat across from him as she waited for the coffee. "You know, Anna' is pretty worried about you."
He flinched slightly, and his grip on his mug tightened. "I am aware. I worry about her too."
"So, what are you going to do about it?"
Kato gave Star a look. "What do you mean?"
"I mean, you know better than anyone else what you need as a doctor. So...what do you need to get better?"
"I'm going to therapy just like Anna wanted me too. I'm talking with her and him."
"Is it working?" Star questioned.
Kato looked down at his mug. "If anything I feel worse."
"So...if therapy isn't helping...then what will?" Star got up and poured herself a mug of coffee while Kato thought.
"Uri keeps trying to perscribe me anti-depressants and anxiety medication..."
"And you keep refusing them? Why? If they'll help you."
"I don't need drugs...I can handle this myself." Kato replied firmly.
"Can you? From the looks of things you can't." Star's expression turned gentle. "Kato, there is nothing shameful with getting help from modern medicine. You of all people should know that."
"Me of all people?"
"Yeah. You're a doctor."
"Was a doctor..."
"Whatever, Kato. Point is...if medicine is what you need then accept Uri's prescription. Do you want to get better for Anna or not?"
"I do."
"Good." Star nodded. "Now, would you like to help me make some breakfast?"

Anna's eyebrows rose higher and higher as Star described her little mishap with the spontaneous moment she and Killian had. "Oh good lord." The little woman almost masked the tiny glint in her eye. No matter how bad it sounded she found it quite funny. By the end she started to giggle. "I know it's not supposed to be funny, but really it is just hilarious." She needed a good laugh and it seemed that this was going to be it for the night. How anyone could actually make so many blunders and then Star's reaction. Anna did feel somewhat bad for Star and yet she still couldn't help herself from laughing. "You know one day this will be a story that you look back on and laugh about. Just think about it. How many people get to say that sort of thing happened to them."

When the two of them finished their late night she went back to the bedroom to find that Kato was still awake. Gently she rubbed his shoulders. "Hey honey." For the time it seemed that he had decided to settle down with her. They were going to be fine and all he needed to do was work on things. She was going to try and do better herself on dealing with the issues at hand.

It was obvious that Kato was having a hard time going to sleep, but Anna figured he would eventually fall asleep so she turned her back to him and nestled under the covers. Sleep came and not without a price. Despite her part in the games and the relatively low violence that she had committed there were still images of what had been done all around her. Anna might have gotten herself involved in a lot of questionable activities in the past, but never anything like that. Gradually the dreams subsided and she fell into a more restful state for the rest of the night.

Killian took the kids to their beds, but the younger two insisted on sleeping in his and Star's bed so he gave up after the second time of taking them to their rooms. Wouldn't hurt anything to have them in here anyway. Mike crawled around on Killian for a few minutes and Claire curled up really close to him so she could pet his hair. The girl always wanted to run her little fingers through his hair and he didn't mind if they were clean. Since her little hands weren't encrusted with anything he decided that for now he didn't care. Eventually the kids started to get a little more tired and Mike worked his way down to snuggle next to his sister. Claire's little hands eventually drifted away from Killian's head and wrapped then around his arm.

By morning the kids woke up before he did and Claire started her little ritual of sitting on Killian's back and talking to him while she combed through his hair with her fingers. The little girl loved to pretend that she was making his hair even if he didn't have it long enough to do much of anything except for be annoyed that it didn't behave. Eventually Mike came to the bedroom again and Claire dutifully helped him onto the bed and the two of them began to wrestle one another until their little feet kicked and fists flew. Eventually Killian woke to their many kicks against his ribs and he turned over in the bed and put his back to them. As if it was the cue to attack dad the kids turned on him and started to bounce and climb on Killian till he woke up the rest of the way. "Ok." Grumbling a little bit he sat up in the bed and Claire seemed to take great pleasure in knowing that she woke him up.

Now that their dad was awake the two younger children raced for the kitchen with Claire leading the way. Triumphantly she announced to Star, "Daddy got up." She had suspected that he was behind her and she pointed excitedly to an empty hall and her little eyes narrowed as she realized that he didn't get up after all. Stomping back down the hall she stood outside the bedroom door. "Do I have to come in there?" She knew that's what Star did when she was in trouble and so it was best to let her dad know that he was in trouble.

Hearing the little voice Killian chuckled and walked over to the door. He liked to get dressed before leaving the room, especially since they weren't the only ones here. Mostly he didn't like other people to see all the scars whether they knew about them or not. By now he had so many that were fading and healing that he had become a little bit self conscious about them when he was with someone besides his family. Little Claire didn't seem to think anything of all the marks on his back and she usually poked or traced them with her fingers in the mornings. With a shirt on she instead pulled and played with his hair. "You're not dressed." Looking at the girl he made a face and Claire gave a little growl. "Go get dressed."

Claire frowned at Killian and stomped away to her room. "Tricky." Her dad had been so tricky and he got dressed while she was gone instead of getting up. She usually beat him getting dressed. When she finally came back to the kitchen she was wearing her pants the wrong way, her shoes were on opposite feet, shirt on the right way and her little curls stuck out in every direction.

Everyone ate breakfast in relative silence and Killian waited till the kids were just starting to pick at their food before he mentioned anything. He had stayed mostly quiet so that he could save all the ruckus for now. "Hurry up and eat all your food then I'll take you out to catch a fish in a bucket eh?" Killian figured the kids would like that. "Want to pet a fish and then eat it?" Almost immediately Claire started to hoot and the the boys shoveled the food in their mouths as fast as possible. Kato's kids were a little more quiet and Killian looked at them. "Don't you to want to catch a fish?"

Joseph and Jacob looked at one another at Killian's question then looked to dad for permission. Kato shook his head immediately. "No."
"Awe!" The two boys moaned in unison. "But why!?"
"Because I said so. We can find something else fun to do. End of discussion." Kato replied sternly. Both boys lowered their heads and began to pick at their food.
"Kato, its just fish." Star said softly.
"That's where it starts. You teach them to enjoy killing fish, then they upgrade to killing other small animals, then ask for guns so they can shoot dear. Pretty soon they are wanting to play those games where you hunt people and kill them. Then they are so desensitized killing a person is nothing." Kato responded passionately. "My children will not be desensitized."
Anna took a deep breath and tried to think of something that she could do to help quell the disappointment of the boys. While she was busy trying to think of something to do instead her husband started out on a rant. One that would have in the past been confined to the bedroom. He never talked like that in front of other people and she set her jaw and gave Star an apologetic look. A simple no would have sufficed in Killian's book. Instead he glowered at the doctor as he went off on a seemingly random rant. One that Killian resented very much. Setting his dishes aside he slowly stood from the table and gathered his dishes and the kids. Part of him wanted to tear Kato from that chair and then there was that little nagging feeling that he should just leave it alone. He didn't want to and he was feeling angry so he went back to the table and sat down. "Desensitized? I wouldn't really say it goes in that order." Continuing to glower at the man Killian was challenging him to say it. Kato didn't take that route and neither had Killian. "I dont' give a damn if you tell your kids no, but if you give a reason you'd better damn well not make stupid assumptions like that."
"I wasn't making a factual statement saying things happen in that exact order. I'm making a point of how desensitization works." Kato argued back. "You teach them its ok to kill an animal at this age where they are just learning about life and death and pretty soon killing other things for fun seems normal. We understand the difference between a fish and human but this age, how can they?" Kato huffs.
"Kids are whole lot smarter than you think." Killian growled. "They know the difference between a dog and you. Dog has fur all over his body and the extent of intelligent communication is limited to wagging tails and hackles on the animal. Do fish dress the children or talk to them?"
"Ok, boys. Little ears are listening..." Star stands suddenly. The kids didn't need to hear an argument like this right before going fishing. "Claire, Mike, Zach, go brush your teeth." She looked over at Anna. "Do you want to come with me and Killian or stay with Kato and the kids?"
All of it seemed to be perfectly fine for kids to hear, but obviously Star didn't think so. Killian remained where he was at and he nodded to the kids. "Listen to your mom." Anna glanced at Star and smiled gently. "I'll have the boys do some painting. We need to make a few memories about the ocean and they could use some practice." She figured that it was as good a time as any to stick with Kato whether she agreed with him or not. It was just a time that he was especially sensitive. He had never liked anything that involved eating meat or killing animals. Not even worms and Anna personally didn't feel that way, but he did and she knew that he had struggled with what happened at that store and then the games had seemed to destroy him.

Kato calmed after Star and Killian had left with the kids, leaving Anna and him to teach Joseph and Jacob about painting. He felt somewhat bad after freaking out over a simple fishing trip. Anna's expression hinted at the fact she didn't agree with him either causing him to wonder if he truly was over reacting. His concerns felt validated in his mind...but he knew his mind wasn't currently at his best.

************************************************************************************************
Star was practically a child herself with the amount of squeals, laughs and eww's that she was exclaiming right along with the children as they caught the fish, played with them then learned to kill them and gut them for supper. "Zach, careful with that knife now. Don't want you to slice open your finger."
"Yes, Mom." Zach replied in annoyance as he attempted to gut his second fish by himself.
"Ew, its slimy! So slimy!" Mikey squealed as Star helped him pick up dead fish.
"Yeah it is." She laughed. "Do you know what those shiny things on its side are?"
Mikey shook his head.
"They're called scales. It's basically clothing for the fish. Now we want to take it all off so we can eat it."
"We make it naked!?" Mike gasped.
Star laughed right along with Killin. "I guess..." She took another knife and began to scale the fish. "Now this job is dangerous so you're just going to watch mommy, but later you can help me wash it and cook it, ok?" Mikey nodded and watched with wide eyes as the scales began flying off.

Zach held up his recently gutted fish to Killian. "How'd I do?" He asked excitedly. "Did I do it right?"
Taking the fish from Zack, Killian looked it over and ran a finger along the inside of it. "Uh huh. It looks good. Take that to you mom." He had pretty much walked the boy through it and helped him cut the fish out. Pulling all the guts from the fish made Killian feel sick, but he showed Zack how to do it and let the boy finish the rest. He would just have to work through this like everything else.
Zack raced over to Star and showed it to her who nodded approvingly then show him how to scale the fish without cutting himself. Zack came back to Killian and began the hard process of trying to get the scales off. "Daddy, why was Uncle Kato so upset about killing fish? Is it bad? And what is de-ses-tized."
While Claire and Mike played with the one live fish in the bucket Killian worked on his catch. He had barely gutted it and Zack was back to ask him all sorts of questions. "Kato is upset easily. He doesn't like to think that he hurt anything. Killing fish isn't bad. They're animals and they are here for us to eat. I like eating fish don't you?" Seemed that for the time the boy understood. "Desensitized is something like uh....Well, Kato thinks that maybe if you kill fish for food you would start to think it was ok to kill other things. We only kills animals that are going to hurt us or that are for eating."
"Like deer and cow." Zach notes. "What if its not trying to hurt us and we can't eat it? Is it ok to kill an animal then?"
"No, then you shouldn't kill it." Killian pointed to a bird flying over head. "You see that bird?" When the boy followed his directions he sighed. "We aren't being hurt by it and all the bird is doing is minding his own business. It wouldn't be right to kill that bird just flying up there like he's supposed to. We have fish to eat."

Zack nodded. It made perfect sense to him and he went back to work on the fish.
************************************************************************************************************

Kato couldn't help but feel he was ruining Anna's vacation, despite his best attempts to be...normal. Everything he did seemed to backfire. His attempts to talk, to protect, to not do anything at all...somehow it was all...wrong. He couldn't even sleep properly. His attempts to change and get better had only resulted in making him worse and his attempts at being himself, dropping the strong act and showing his concern while trying to shield the children as long as possible hadn't been accepted either. He wished none of this had ever happened. That he and Anna were still a happy couple. Him a doctor and her a happy mother. A simple job, a simple life, no nightmares or trauma.

He lay next to Anna, watching her sleep. He knew how tired and upset she was. She rarely smiled anymore and it killed him. The first thing she'd been terrified about after they'd returned from the games, that they would change. And they had. Was it possible to find a new normal? He scooted a little closer to her, resting a gentle hand on her hip. "I'm sorry, Anna. I'm trying. Don't give up on me yet." He whispered.

Taking the boys outside was nice for a change. Anna helped them set up little easels and they worked on painting a smooth background to start with. "A simple blue is a good way to start." Patiently she stroked the canvas on her easel with a brush. All the excited squeals from the other side of the beach were drawing Jacob and Joseph's attention away from the fun. She knew it was going to be hard for them to focus on the painting so she didn't bother saying anything. In some ways it seemed that Joseph was more easily entertained with the painting because he wasn't particularly concerned about detail and he finished first then started to wander over to the water to play.

Finally Anna gave up and helped Jacob put his painting aside so that they could play in the water. The afternoon picnic was quiet and then the evening meal was quiet too. Was this really the right way to handle things? Kato didn't seem to be any better. Not that she could expect overnight results, but she was feeling an awful lot of pressure to take care of the children, Kato, and the household. He wasn't functioning all that well. Anna was exhausted by the end of the day and she put the kids to bed before she crawled under the covers. There wasn't much energy left and she didn't even want to try talking to Kato right now. It would only make things worse. So instead she buried all the disappointment and frustration from the day.

Briefly her eyes opened when she felt a weight on the bed next to her. Maybe Kato would spend the night in their room. Perhaps she could talk to him if in the morning he wasn't here. Closing her eyes again the deep breathing continued. Anna couldn't really tell what he was saying, but it felt so dream like for him to be in bed next to her and resting his hand on her hip. In the dark he couldn't see the silent tear that ran down her face. She missed this so much.

Killian held the kids up to watch Star cook the fish. Claire was making humming noises and watching it cook with bright eyes. She squeaked repeatedly while she pointed to the one that she figured she had caught. Of course it was the largest fish and Killian just let her think so. There was no point telling the little girl otherwise. Then he and star showed the kids how to take the bones out of the fish.

By bedtime he got into the bed with Star and wrapped his arms around her waist. "I love you." Carefully he planted a kiss on her cheek and then migrated to her lips before he settled down into the bed. He didn't really want anything else for tonight. Part way through the night he saw the beginning of the games. There in front of him was the killing fields. All the things that he had no control over. Killian saw his children all of them huddled at the wall already and the sniper was trained on them. He had to choose. Each of them had a sniper trained over their little hearts and they didn't understand what was going to happen. Instead they cried for him to come help and he had to choose. Which one would he save and would it be in time?

Instead he decided to run for them. On the way he felt a sharp pain in his leg. Sitting up in the bed he rubbed his face and glanced over at Star. "Just need a drink of water." Wincing he put his legs over the bed and started toward the doorway with a limp. Why he was having some of that nerve pain again he didn't know, but it happened from time to time and his knee felt stiff. Could have been all the wild twisting while he was in the ocean with the kids. When he reached the kitchen it looked like somebody was already there. Kato had deep rings under his eyes and Killian grabbed a glass and filled it with water. Sitting down at his seat he stared at the doctor for a moment. "You're not sleeping eh?"

Kato looked up at Killian as the man joined him at the table. "Not really. Too nervous to sleep." He answered sullenly. Sleeping meant nightmares, and nightmares meant he could possibly injure Anna. At the same time, not sleeping was just making him worse. He was trapped in an endless loop. He'd finally messaged Dr. Uri, accepting the doctor's offer to write a prescription for him for the anti-depressants and anxiety medication. He knew certain medications now adays had a small sedative to help with dreamless sleep. He hoped it worked. He was at the end of his rope.
Kato nodded. "I've never had nightmares like this in my life. I thought they'd fade but they've only gotten worse."
Nodding he listened to the doctor and sighed. "Yeah well I can't say I sleep real well either. Never really got over it."
That wasn't very encouraging. "So I have a lifetime of nightmares to look forward to?" Kato shook his head. "I can't afford that. Anna needs me to be able to sleep peacefully beside her."
"The more you stress about it the worse it gets." Killian stared at his glass of water for a long moment. "Got to push yourself everyday to do something that scares you to the core or else you'll just turn into a huddled mass. I stayed in that damn medical bay room for weeks. Didn't go out till I had a reason. Star was the only reason I tried to be more than just a coward sitting alone in a room all day every day."
"I tried that with Anna, in the beginning. Let her color my hair. Offered to do anything and go anywhere she wanted, even if was outside my comfort zone." Kato shook his head. "I just ended up scaring her I think. Then I came on this trip and things have just been getting worse. Should've just stayed home and let Anna come alone. She'd be happier."
Killian frowned a little. "Dying your hair is scary?" A chuckle started to rise in his throat. "And you really think staying at home would have been better?" Suddenly Killian became very serious. "The day you stop living your life and enjoying the family you have and everything you do together is the day you die. There isn't much of me left, but I fight everyday to make it enough for Star and the kids. I don't like going out places or seeing people anymore than you do."
"My family is the most important thing to me...my only passion in this moment. There is nothing I wouldn't do for them...which is why I did come. But I am also painfully aware of how much pain I have caused her since the games. I'm sure you have felt the same about Star...that perhaps sometimes...she'd better off without me."
"That's the kind of thinking that kills a man." Taking a deep breath he let it out. "As long as you think there is a better man or way for her then you're not gonna be happy either. I chose her and she said yes. Star might have had a better man, but I'm what she has and I'll be damned before I let another man take my place. I don't know how he'd treat her, if he would force himself on her, if he would take care of the kids and I sure as hell know he wouldn't love them the same. You just remember that when you look at Anna and you be that man she chose even if you have to modify a few things."
Kato blinked at the unexpected wisdom and passion coming from Killian. After a long moment he nods. "I suppose you're right." The weary man stood, ready to attempt sleep yet again. "Good night, Killian."

Kato returned to bed thinking over what Killian had said. Be the man she chose. Kato gingerly wrapped an arm around her waist as he lay down beside her. Be the man she chose. He fell asleep to the thought, already thinking of ways to assure her he was still the man she chose. For the first time in many weeks, Kato was still sleeping next to Anna when the sun rose the following day. The dreams he did have were still unpleasant but hadn't led to him being violent, at least not that he remembered. Since she was still beside him, he took it as a another sign that the night had been relatively peaceful for her as well.

He felt her shift beneath her arms as she awoke, and he gently kissed her neck. "I love you. Nothing will ever change that." Kato says softly, holding her close. He couldn't remember the last time they had just lay together like this and he intended to make the most of every minute.

*************************************************************************************************************************
Star smiled as Killian kissed her and cuddled next to her in the bed. He was getting increasingly better. The nightmares were fading somewhat, his mind seemed to be clear most of the time and he was sharing more with her when he felt comfortable enough to do so. Later that night Killian sat up suddenly and murmured something about needing water. She nodded at him before trying to go back to sleep. It felt like hours before he finally came back, but when he did, she snuggled close beside him, smiling at the feeling of his warmth and the comfort of his arms.

She woke in the morning to an email from Dr. Uri asking how things were going on the vacation and she gave him a brief update that was over all positive. For her and Killian and the children, it was turning out to be rather nice. She wished it could be better for poor Anna.

When they gathered for breakfast Star pulled Anna to the side. "Hey, how would you feel about me watching the kids today so you and Kato can have some time alone? There's a little town about a 30 minute walk from here, if you want."

Killian sat in the kitchen for a few minutes longer. He needed time to wind down and just drink the water. By the end of the glass he felt a little more calm and like he might be able to lay down in bed. Since that time on the planet he did his best to stay in bed at night and if he got up to come back and stay in bed then. She had never said he couldn't have his 3 nights alone, but he didn't really want to do that. After the games she needed him to be close as much as he needed her and he'd already done all the damage he could with the drug abuse.

Limping back to the room he slipped under the covers with Star and he felt her scoot in close. She must have been waiting. It almost felt like a little tremor ran through her at first. Maybe she was just getting comfortable. Killian rested his arms over her and he rested his chin on the top of her head. When she was the little spoon he was more than comfortable holding her. Within a few minutes he fell asleep and he woke up later in the morning again. Claire was happily bouncing around on the bed and pounding his back with her little fists like he was a drum. All the pounding and screeching from her eventually woke him up and Killian got to his knees on the bed. "I'm up now get out."

The girl knew all this morning routine well enough that she raced out of the room hooting and yelling all about waking her dad up. As soon as they were done with breakfast he heard Star asking Anna about watching the kids. It was doubtful they would end up with the kids anyway. Killian figured that Kato was still going to be on edge about him. It hadn't been hard to tell that the doctor despised him since his actions at the game. That didn't really matter to Killian. Others could think as they would, but he did what he had to.

Anna almost couldn't believe that she had a whole night with Kato in the same bed. She smiled a little the next morning and kissed him. "I know." As hard as she was trying to be flirty she felt more like crying. It was so hard not to want to cry since the games and she struggled almost every day. In a way she felt bad when she got up and saw that Star had already put a wonderful breakfast out and her children had eaten as well. A slight smirk came to her face when she saw Killian turn around and he had some flower dusted through his hair. Maybe it was dry pancake batter?

At first the little woman was lighting up with the thought of just going somewhere with Kato. Then she glanced back at him. Anna grinned and she nodded. "You know what. He'll deal with it. We need some time and I have a few things to say to my man. We'll walk to the town to get something to eat." Giving both the boys a quick kiss she winked. "You two are going to stay with Star and Killian for a little bit today." Both of them seemed to think that it would be a great idea and they loved to play with Killian, Claire, Zack, and Mike. Waltzing across the room Anna grabbed Kato by one arm and started for the door of the ship. "We're going for a walk and the kids will be just fine for a few hours."

No matter how he protested she grinned and kept on going till they were just outside the door. "Kato I need something from you. I just need you with me alone for a few hours is that so hard?"

"No, no of course not...but...where are we going? We should stay close to the ship in case something happens." Kato replied, hesitantly letting her guide him out.

Anna tightened her grip on his hand. "We're going into town to get some breakfast and we won't be that close to the ship."

Kato didn't like the idea of being away from the children and possibly stranded on the planet but he could see how much this meant to her. He pushed down his worries and swallowed, managing a somewhat strained smile. "For you, anything." He walked by her side, relaxing little by little as the walk progressed. "How far is this town anyway?"

"About 30 minutes walking one way." The blonde looked up at him and smiled. "You'll survive this my adventurous stick in the mud." Anna couldn't help feeling a little worried herself though it was not for the children as much as it was for Kato. He was completely stiff and awkward for the first half of the walk. However, it seemed that he made every effort to be a little less uptight as they walked. When they reached the town she looked for a little coffee shop. Anna excitedly drug him to the bakery since it was the closest thing to a coffee shop and ordered a coffee and two scones. "We're going to make the most of this." Glancing over at him she noted the look on his face and she felt a little bit sad. He was so nervous about all this. Bringing a hand up she gently brushed it through his hair as best she could though she was too short to reach much further than his temple. "It will be just fine."

When they got the coffee and scones she figured they should start the walk back and maybe just munch on their way. It would be best to keep this shorter if possible. "Kato I missed having you in bed. Last night meant a lot to me. I'd rather we work through this and if you start having dreams we'll find a way to get past the other stuff. It's important to me that we have time together and being close. What you did was for me and the boys. I understand and it doesn't make me love you any less."

Kato nodded as he nibbled on the scone. "I know. But...the aftermath hasn't been easy on you either...especially dealing with me. I'm sorry if you've felt like I've kept my distance from you." He looked down at her sadly. "I...I was trying to protect you...from me. I was worried all night that I would hurt you again if I slept next to you but...I've missed it as well. You're my other half...and we've been separated too long."
Looking up at him she swallowed the bite in her mouth. "What about our vows? Doesn't it include for better or worse, sickness and in health." Anna gently bumped into him since they both had their hands full with scone and coffee. "Lets just say that I still need you to. This isn't one sided. We'll lean on each other."
Kato nodded. He spots a bench overlooking a river that lead towards the ocean and guided her over to it. The sit next to one another and he sets aside his coffee so he could hold her hand. "So, clearly what we've been doing up till this point hasn't been working very well. Not talking much...for one." He looked over at her. "I know, you've been worrying about me and trying to keep me from being overwhelmed...but I want to know how you're doing as well, truly. I can tell that you've been holding in alot...especially recently."
It was surprising to have Kato walk with her to the side and Anna set her coffee on the bench next to herself. Kato took her hand and she stared at the hands that seemed so much larger than hers. They were strong instead of the frail man that she had originally saw when they met. Carefully she nodded and tried to hold the tears that were coming so close to the surface. No matter how hard she tried they were coming anyway. "I've been watching you throw away everything that you were before and I didn't ever want a big tough man. Kato you cared so much about the folks around you that it was almost a fault and you're gentle and kind. Those were things that I didn't want to see change and then you wanted to start changing and it was all sounding so drastic. "I just wanted you."
Kato took a breath. "I'm sorry. I wish I could back and do things over again...but I promise...from this day forward, I'm going to show you...I'm still the man you married."
A soft smile showed from behind her misty eyes. "You never needed to change for me. I just want you the way you are and its ok if you're struggling with everything that happened." She knew he would be and she still did.
Kato chuckled softly. "I guess...a part of me always thought that you calling me a stick in the mud was a hint to loosen up a bit more. I thought that being more, flexible and adventurous would make you happier."
"I love my stick in the mud." Anna leaned in and kissed him. "Somebody needs to be my anchor."
Kato set down the breakfast and put his arms around her, holding her close as he kissed her in return.

***********************************************************************************************************
Star crouched on the wall on full alert. She peeked around the corner weapon at the ready. The feet stormed towards her, she leapt up and attacked! Claire screamed as a pillow wapped her hard in the chest. The toddler lifted her own pillow and attacked her opponent with a fury. Zach came at Star from behind and she spun, hitting him with the pillow in the stomach as Claire attacked her rear. In the hallway beyond her she could hear Jacob, Joseph and Mikey screaming as Killian chased them her way.

Star laughed as she dove into the hallway, sweeping Mikey off his feet as he rushed past and threw him on the bed. Zach tackled her from the side, trying to tickle her into submission. "Ah ha, no!!" She yelped, hitting Zach over the head with the pillow then hoisting him over his shoulder and tossing him onto the bed while Mikey tried to climb off. Claire jumped on her back and Joseph grabbed her right leg. Zach rolled off the bed grabbing her arm while Mikey pinned her other leg.
"Aah! Killian! Help me out here!" She yelped as she tipped towards the bed. At least it would be a soft landing on the bed when she fell.

Kato and Anna entered the ship to the screaming of the children. Kato rushed in a panic towards the sounds only to find the children in a furious war of pillows and blankets against Killian and Star. It took a moment for his heart rate to slow as he realized they were safe...just...fighting violently. He rolled his eyes. This family was a bad influence, but at least the children were having fun. "We're probably going to have to put our boys in wrestling so they learn proper combat guidelines." Kato noted with a sigh to Anna. "I blame the chippequoti blood for all their energy."

Back