Smugglers Cove (Love2write and Silence)

Since they were the ones watching the kids it meant that things would have to be toned down a little bit. Killian couldn't take them out fishing or anything of that sort. So while he was thinking about what to do Star got a pillow fight started and that was perfect. She and the kids took his and Star's room hostage so Killian had to go back to the kid's room to get a pillow. By that time the kids realized they were going to be needing pillows for the fight too. "I'll count to ten and you have to run in here get a pillow and run out or I'm gonna get you."Of course that put them all in a new frenzy and little Mike was surprisingly aggressive when needed for a game.

Growling and stomping he chased the kids through the ship and Star was the one that did most of the pillow fight since Killian was afraid that he would hit too hard. He'd already knocked Claire on her rump by accident though it didn't seem to deter the child. The shrill screams of the children was at least a joyful sound and not that of panic. Still it drew Kato in and Killian stopped in front of the shorter man and stared at him briefly after he made comment about the Chippeqouti blood. "Well, it's your fault." For a split second it looked like Kato was going to start getting serious and Killian still held a pillow in one hand. A strange sense of mischief seemed to over run his eyes for a moment and he swiftly brought the pillow up and clobbered Kato. The doctor needed to loosen up a little and learn that just because it was a pretend fight didn't mean it was about violence. Something like this was far from it. In fact it was more about a sense of competition and for the children the thrill of not knowing.

Now that the kids saw Killian set the example they figured Anna and Kato were game too. The horde of kids surrounded them and Anna made a dash. "I'm gonna get a pillow." Flicking her little green flats off her feet she ran down the corridor of the ship to her and Kato's bedroom to get a pillow for herself. Right now she didn't particularly care if Kato had thought that this was a bad thing. A challenge had been issued and she was going to answer. Of course Jacob and Joseph came padding after her swinging their little pillows and yelling.

Kato exclaimed as the pillow came down on his head and moments later was surrounded by the horde that thought he was somehow in the game as well. Mikey came at him with a teddy bear, thinking that made for a better weapon than a pillow and began hitting his knees. The whole scene was so comical that Kato started laughing. He snatched up Mikey and tossed the boy in the air as he swung his teddy bear. Then he held the lad out so he could try and hit Killian in the face as he was flown about.

"Using kids against me?" Killian was slightly surprised and he swung the pillow with one hand and tickled Mike's stomach with the other. There was more than one way to win something like this.
Mikey squirmed and yelled so violently at being tickled that Kato was forced to set him down only to be hit from behind by Star. She laughed like a maniac at his expression as he turned around. "Oh my gosh...Kato. You should see your face." She laughed all the harder. Anna came up beside her with a pair of pillows. "Girls against boys?" She asks with a wink.

It was almost funny to see Kato using Mike to hide behind and he should have known it wouldn't work. Anna raced up with Star and she giggled gently when she saw Kato turn around with that look. His hair was already standing on end in a few places, the neat part was messed up and his eyebrows were raised slightly. "Yeah guys against girls."

Killian chuckled at the offer. "Kato hurry the hell up and get a pillow."

"Uncle Kato! Uncle Kato! I've got one for you!" Zach came running up with another pillow and with a large grin on his face. Kato took it hesitantly and looked at the pillow as if he weren't sure quite what to do with it. "How do we know who wins?"

"We play till somebody gives up and it's gonna be the girls. Losers cook." Really wasn't much to bargain for, but it was if he lost and Killian was determined not to surrender. Taking his pillow he swung it at Anna since she was the closest.

Star went after Kato and the kids ran around attacking random victims making it a bit harder. Kato back peddeled and defended himself from Star's onslaught. "C'mon Kato. Hit back! They're just pillows!" She laughed. She smacked him in the stomach and he got her over the head with a gentle blow. "More heart, Kato. Put some more heart into it. I'm not surrendoring to that." Claire came in squealing and clung to Kato's legs, making it harder for him to move. "Get him mommy!! Get him!" She squealed. Kato had to laugh again as he tried to fend off Star's attacks while trying to peel the child off his legs.

"Give me that." Anna took one of the kid's pillow and used it against Killian while Zack went off to find another one. She flew at Killian full force with both pillows swinging. Whenever he could he would put in a good firm hit with his pillow and he made enough hits that it seemed Anna was slowing down and trying to find a new way to get to him. Anna in a moment of mischief yelled for Kato. "Help me! Get him Kato."

Kato looked away from Star and she landed a blow to his face. He hit her in the stomach and then raced after Anna's voice, finding her and Killian engaged in a dramatic battle near the bed. Kato hit Killian in the back of the head with the pillow from behind. "Hey, stay away from my wife!" He declared a somewhat playful and serious tone.

"What the hell." Killian turned slightly to see that Kato had joined in."You're cheating." Anna laughed maniacally while she pummeled Killian with the pillows. To get away from the little woman Killian jumped onto the bed and ran across it in a crouch to the other side and he circled around to grab Star. Ignoring her attempts to hit him with her pillow he kissed her and then held her in front of himself. "You give up yet?"

Star yelped as he grabbed her. She laughed as Killian pulled away from the kiss asking for her surrender while still holding her. "I don't know. I think it might take a few more kisses to bring me down yet." She giggled then yelped as Mikey grabbed the back of her legs while Claire came after him with a pillow.

Kato lowered his pillow and sat down on the bed, his hair a mess and a flush in his cheeks but smiling none-the-less. "Well, that was...fun. But now we have to wash all the pillow case covers."

"I knew you didn't want me to cook tonight." Killian leaned in to kiss her again and he chuckled a little bit. Despite the fact that the adults had pretty well finished the game Claire was still determined to win her little game. However, the kids were wearing down and Killian shook his head when Kato started to get all nerdy. "Unless you rubbed your hair full of crap I don't see no reason to change the pillow cases. Nobody else around here puts shit in their hair."

Anna couldn't help laughing a little at the comment from Kato and the even worse one from Killian. She understood Kato and his intense desire to have everything as clean as possible. Immune systems needed a little something to go off of and changing the pillow cases wasn't exactly necessary. If it made him feel better they could wash the pillow cases.

The 2 weeks had been good. Killian felt a little better and somewhat less stressed. He had gotten off the planet though he felt highly terrified at the prospect when Star first mentioned it. Now he was back home and life was settling down to a more normal pace. After the kids were put in bed he stared at the bags of clothing in the middle of the floor. All things that they would have to wash and put away. "We could do that tonight or we could be irresponsible." A grin started to spread over his face. "I'm kinda leaning toward being irresponsible tonight." Pulling Star into a hug he held onto her and didn't move for several minutes. Just a moment of quiet to hold her was all he really wanted. Being wild and playing around with the kids was great. They had plenty of fun on the ship, but it had a certain level of strain.

Finally releasing Star from his bear hug he walked with her to their bedroom and got ready for bed. By now he had barely managed to gain his weight back and he went to bed without the t-shirt that he had been wearing lately. He wasn't cold at night anymore, and he was home. Star had been so used to seeing them that it didn't really feel like she stared or that she even noticed. Once the lights were out he wandered back to the bed and got into it with her. Wrapping his arms around her waist he pulled Star closer to himself.

Anna could almost feel the relief rolling off Kato in massive waves. He was more than happy to be home and as bad as she felt that he was stressed during their outing, he needed to be able to still function in life. "Mmmm." Standing on her tippy toes she gave him a kiss. "I'm so glad you came with." She paused when she felt his hands on her hips and she met his gaze. A little smile came to her face and she wiggled her hips. "You wanna get some skank on with me?" The kids were in bed and even if they weren't asleep yet they didn't usually come out of their rooms at night.

"It's been a while and I need my man." Pulling away from him she beckoned and started back toward their room. Since she couldn't really sing too loud she quietly started into a song.

Coming back home was bitter sweet. He longed for his own bed in his own house, in an environment where he felt safe and secure, but being out and about with Star and her family had done him a world of good. And now he was coming home with his wife with a new game plan. He found a package on his doorstep and brought it inside. Upon opening it he found the anti-depressants that Dr. Uri had prescribed for him. It almost felt wrong to be holding these pills with the intent of using them. It was the furthest thing from what he wanted. But if it helped him get well...which from experience as a doctor he knew it could, then it was worth the temporary feeling of shame. He knew what he'd say to a patient in his position. There was nothing wrong with getting a little help from modern medicine. He put the pills in the bathroom cabinet, taking one as directed then returning to Anna to help her and the kids unpack.

That night he took one of the nighttime pills and had just come out of the bathroom when Anna came up to him and gave him a tender kiss, telling him how glad she was that he'd ventured out with her. He smiled back down at her, his hands coming to rest on her hips. Then that flirtatious smile he'd missed so much showed itself. He didn't even turn red as she began to sing to him, laughing with her instead and gladly joining her on the bed.
It had been rare for him to sleep the whole night through since the games but tonight Kato did. When he finally woke up it nearly 9 in the morning. At least two full hours later than he normally slept. He felt a little groggy getting out of bed but after a quick shower he realized he couldn't remember a single dream that he'd had. Nor could he remember getting up.

Kato raced to the kitchen where the kids had already eaten. He looked at Anna hopefully. "Did it work? Did I move at all? I don't remember having any dreams." It sounded like it had and he breathed a deep sigh of relief. "Thankyou, Dr. Uri. Thankyou." He sat down, head in hands, so relieved something was finally working. He almost wanted to cry from the relief that there was hope that he would get better, and get to a place where he could sleep next to his wife without fearing what he might do to her. He wiped away the tears brimming in his eyes and smiled gently at Anna. "Did you sleep alright?"

******************************************************************************************

Star was up early the next morning with a sickly feeling that was eerily familiar. She gently scooted out of bed so to not wake Killian and pulled the kit out from the bottom drawer, taking it with her to the bathroom. It had been over three years since her last pregnancy. This time she was ready and part of her hoped she was pregnant. She took the test and grinned. Knowing Killian, he was going to be ecstatic. He'd proven to be an amazing and loving dad. After all the evil and hardship of the last few months, it was going to be nice to have something beautiful to look forward to.

Star practically danced out of the bathroom and into the kitchen, trying to figure out how she was going to tell him. Maybe subtle hints. A suggestion here, a hint there, leaving baby magazines around or...Killian shuffled out of the bedroom. "I'm pregnant!" She exclaimed, unable to contain herself. So much for subtle hints and a slow reveal. Star laughed and lept into Killian's arms giving him a kiss on the lips.

Anna was surprised that Kato had barely shifted that night in his sleep. There weren't any mumblings or sign of distress either. Off and on she woke up just to be sure that he was there or hadn't died in his sleep. It was so strange feeling after all these weeks that he was ok for once at night. The little woman got up when she heard the boys trying to help themselves in the kitchen. She knew from experience the two little rascals would eat chips or cold cereal and they would leave a mess if she didn't get up to help them.

By the time breakfast was done for the boys she had to admit that she had been a bit lazy and just let them have the cold cereal. Anna didn't quite have the ambition to keep the boys occupied while she tried to make something for them. Perhaps she would just have some hot cereal and fruit for herself and Kato. He seemed to like that just fine. On the other side of the bedroom door she could hear Kato getting up. Anna scampered back to the kitchen so she could pretend that she was busy cleaning up the dishes and cooking. No need for him to know that she had been eaves dropping on his sleep. Once a spy always a spy. Some things never changed and she was more than happy to make use of those skills.

When Kato came out she saw that for once the rings under his eyes had faded. They were still there from weeks of hardly sleeping, but they were lighter. Seemed that he was suddenly anxious to know how the night had gone and Anna nodded her head. "It worked." She had to swallow the lump in her throat when she saw the way he was about fall apart with sheer joy and relief. That he should have suffered like this broke her heart. Anna hated to think that he was so tormented that just sleeping one night through was near miraculous and yet she was still grateful that he could sleep. "I slept ok. You were so peaceful I thought you might have died or left the bed once or twice." Seemed it was just enough for both of them to laugh a little though it wasn't entirely funny. Since the boys were busy playing with the oversized dinosaur in their room she turned to wrap her arms around Kato. Resting her chin on his chest she peered into his eyes. "I'm just glad that you're ok. We're gonna get through this and I'm always going to love you. No matter what."

Waking up to help Star while he was at home had become a big deal for Killian. He didn't want to have her do all this by herself. Though he'd never been particularly fond of getting up early in the mornings he had grown accustomed to it. With one arm over Star most of the night it started to get easier to wake up when he didn't feel her in the bed. Besides that, he had been waking a little earlier in the mornings since he went to bed at the same time that she did. With all the withdrawals over with and the majority of the pain faded he slept better to.

A little shifting almost made Killian stir, but he still managed to sleep a bit longer. He was slowly becoming aware of the fact that she hadn't come back to bed. Feeling along the bed he took a deep breath and opened his eyes. Star must have gotten up to feed the kids breakfast. Killian slowly started to limp for the doorway. Pulling the door open he squinted in the morning light streaming through the kitchen window. Reaching up to rub his eyes he stopped short when Star gave a semi loud announcement. There was barely time to react as she threw herself into his arms and Killian did his best to catch her without losing balance. It was all so fast for the morning and she was already trying to smother him with a kiss.

Now that his brain had managed to make a scrambled attempt and he caught up with everything he chuckled a little and held her tighter in a hug. Giving her another kiss he turned a gentle circle with her in his arms. "We're gonna have fun getting through this together eh?" It was good to have a wonderful thing to work through together instead of more pain or heart ache. His eyes were bright with excitement and he almost teared up with joy and relief to have some good news at last. Killian tightened his grip on her and held her firmly against himself for a long moment. Carefully he began to loosen his grip and he tilted his head so he could peer into her eyes. "I love you." It had been so long since the last baby that he wondered if maybe they were done. Perhaps it was the part Chippeqouti blood in her system that had delayed pregnancy for Star. "We'll have as many babies as you want." Putting one hand behind himself he checked to be sure there was a counter to lean against.

Killian gently pulled Star closer to himself and kissed her again as he leaned against the counter. "Until I met you I never understood how a man could be satisfied to have only one woman and marry her." His thumb brushed the faded scar along her face and he smiled. "You will always be beautiful to me. Those scars only remind me of how beautiful your heart is. My beautiful Star is so much more than a face or body." Even if it was an awkward way to say things he knew that Star would understand.

2 MONTHS LATER:

It had been a good pattern that they had gotten into. Anna was finally comfortable with Kato in bed again. He hadn't punched her in his sleep in weeks now and she was finally accustomed to having him being peaceful in his sleep. For the most part it seemed that the nightmares had subsided and they were rare. Even when he had nightmares she hadn't noticed that he punched her. Instead he would just get restless. The little woman had settled into his arms and the house was all quiet. Turning so that she faced him she scooted up in the bed and planted a surprise kiss on his lips. "I love Mr. Jones." Anna had made a conscious effort to stay away from calling him doctor as it seemed that term was something to stay away from till he was better settled into himself again.

Giggling a little she pushed his hands off her waist. "Stop it." Anna squirmed a little. "You're just full of energy tonight aren't you?" He knew she didn't actually mean it since her voice was not holding any kind of serious tone. Taking a sharp breath she giggled again. "Oh my gosh and naughty too." Breaking down into a round of snickers she ran her fingers along his back and then stopped when she had a chance to play with the hair at the base of hairline.

Several hours after they had finally gotten asleep she heard a boom sounding. It all seemed to fade and then suddenly it was much louder. Sitting up in the bed she gasped. "Kato, the children!"

Killian had barely started to work through the process of starting a business and he was already overwhelmed with all the paperwork. That night he went to bed after he had worked on the papers with Star. She was still supportive of his idea. At least he was excused from the military and they would need to get the job going before the baby so that he could have some sort of income for the new baby.

Although the dreams had been more of a background issue he didn't think much of them these days. Getting into the bed with Star he wrapped an arm over her like usual and then he felt one of her little hands grab his. Lacing his fingers with hers he sighed. "How was your day?" Most of it he had been at home for, but there were a few hours when he had gone out to file paperwork and such. Sounded like there wasn't much that happened. The kids had gone to school like usual and she did get a little time to take a nap. "Good. I was thinking maybe while I still have time at home we could get a dog for the kids." This had been a long time subject of the children and he had to admit that he missed having a pet. Killian had loved his bear and it was no more. "You know a dog is a safer option than a bear." Of course that got Star chuckling. "Maybe tomorrow we can talk more about it. I'm tired." They both were and usually a conversation was easier to carry if they were more refreshed feeling.

The dream was almost too real. Killian was at the games again and he mumbled a little in his sleep. An explosion sounded and the sniper gun jolted against his shoulder. He was trying to shoot the other snipers and then again though this time it felt like fear had stabbed his heart. Taking a deep breath he sat up and a bright flash appeared outside the window just before another great blast sounded. Buildings in the distance were burning and Killian grabbed Star. "Get to kids up and I'll start the pool draining. We'll need to hide in there and then put the cover over it." At least they would be out of the house and away from most of the rubble and neighbors houses if this area was bombed as well.

Charging outside Killian jumped into the pool and jerked the plug from the drainage site. Swimming back over to the edge he pulled himself out of the water. They would need a tarp to lay in the bottom so that it wouldn't get the kids too wet and then some blankets to keep them warm. Inside the house he began to pull out the blankets and gathered a tarp along with a survival kit with some food, juice, and water. He could hear Claire and the boys crying already. They were terrified and he didn't want this for them, but all he could do now was do his best to protect them.

Killian stripped himself and got changed into new pants. By the time he got all the necessary items to the edge of the pool it was drained off in the shallow end. Throwing the tarp in it he helped Star load the kids in and then he started to pull the cover over it when a blast nearby threw him into the side of the house. A little dazed and sore from the blast he pulled himself off the ground and started for the pool again. He barely had the cover over the pool and he slipped under it when another blast sounded and the kids started to scream.

It was too dangerous to use a flashlight. Last thing they wanted to do was attract the attention of those doing the night raid. A bombing like this was the last thing in the world he would have thought of just before bed. Groping his way in the dark underneath the pool cover he finally found the kids crouched near one of the walls of the pool with their mother. "Ok...shh." Carefully he sat down and started to unfold one of the blankets so that he could wrap his arms around the kids and Star. "For now lets be quiet and then in a little bit we have some snacks to eat." It seemed that the kids were old enough to understand at least that much though Killian was hardly feeling as calm as he sounded.

Having Killian present during most of the day, especially during the first trimester when she was at her sickest, was such a blessing. No sooner would she get up then he was right behind her to help with the children. His preparations to begin a new business were going well though the paperwork alone was killer. Good thing he was getting better at reading and writing. While he worked she prepared for the new baby, even going so far as to look at potential new houses for the expanding family. It would be a while before they could move as they simply didn't have the money...but it was nice thought for the future. Preparing for the new baby distracted her mind from the war raging around them, and from the plethora of nightmares and memories that lingered just beneath the surface of her mind. Things were getting better. The war would end, Killian would be starting his new business and the children would be happy and safe.

Star grinned as Killian climbed into bed that night, pulling her closer to himself. She intertwined her fingers in his, enjoying the feeling of being tucked safely in his arms. They went through their nightly routine, sharing about their day and checking up on one another emotionally. She gave a brief over view of the day and how she was doing well outside of the morning sickness and pregnancy fatigue. She'd come to crave those few hours when all the children were at school so she could get a much needed nap in. The first trimester always exhausted her, but at least she wasn't as sick this time around as she had been with the others. "I was thinking maybe while I still have time at home we could get a dog for the kids."
She could tell by Killian's tone of voice how much he wanted to get them a dog. She was more so worried about having to train and take care of the thing on top of all the other things she had to do with the house and children. "If you'll be around to train it, and you and the kids take full responsibility about it, I think I'd be more open to getting one." She finally relented. "It had better not be one of those tiny yappy ones though." She warned, knowing Killian was probably thinking along the lines of a one of the big guard dogs. "And nothing too big either. More like...medium sized." She yawned and nodded as Killian suggested they continue the conversation in the morning.

Star woke with a start to a massive booming echoing throughout the house. Killian pulled her out of bed and ordered her to gather the children and get them to the pool. Her heart pounded as she raced off to do as he said. Who was bombing them? Why? The gillicks!? Damn this war...was there no where they could be safe!? Now even the children were in danger. Claire and Mikey were already screaming. Zach was on his feet, white as a ghost. "Grab your blankets and pillows and follow me. Let's go, quickly!" She ordered, trying to stay calm. By the time she'd grabbed any emergency supplies she could think of Killian had already drained the pool. She slid down the ladder, helped him lay down the tarp then helped the children in, ushering them to the deepest corner of the pool. She wrapped them in their blankets and rushed back towards the ladder to help Killian with the pool cover. "Killian..."

A massive blast sent Killian flying and folded her painfully over the edge of the pool. She lost her grip on the ladder, dropping a few feet to the bottom of the pool, landing hard on her back. That's going to leave a bruise. Star grunted as she got up, and limped over to children as they screamed from terror. "Shhh, you're ok. We're ok. Shh." Killian pulled the last of the cover over their heads and managed to find them in the pitch dark. Having their parents around them, help to calm them somewhat...especially the promise of snacks. Star felt Killian's hand snake around her waist and she held his arm tightly. A silent signal that she was just as terrified as the children. So much for things getting better.

For the next agonizing hour bombs continued to fall in their general vicinity. Star couldn't help but think about their neighbors, and Kato and Anna and their children. What if they were killed during the attack as well? It was a horrible thought, and she shook it from her mind for the time being. As the attack moved away from them, the children fell asleep in their laps out of pure exhaustion. Star continued to hold them close, pressing against Killian's chest for assurance. She winced as wave of pain swept through her abdomen. Perhaps she's bruised her back or strained a muscle during that last blast. Too bad they didn't have any pain medicine with them.

The terrified family remained hiding long after the bombing ended. Star dozed a little off and on until Killian decided to peek out and see if it was safe. "Is the house still there?" Star asked worriedly. She sighed in relief as he said it looked mostly intact. "Think its safe to go out yet? We can't stay in here forever."

********************************************************************************

Kato leapt out of bed as the bombs falling echoed in the distance. "Anna, grab some supplies and get down to the cellar!" Kato called as he rushed after the children. He pulled the sleepy Jacob and Joseph out of their beds and rushed them to the cellar with their mother before hurrying back upstairs to get his medical kit (which he still kept under the bed). He grabbed those, blankets, and anything else of pertinance he could carry before racing down the steps and closing the door to the cellar. No sooner had he done that when a deafening blast rocked the house.

Kato threw himself protectively over Anna and children as the house shook and groaned loudly. At least part of it collapsing around them. Momentarily he wondered if they would be trapped here beneath the rubble to die slow painful deaths. The children's screams drew him away from those thoughts. "Hey, its ok, shh." He picked up Joseph and held the toddler to his chest. "Mommy and daddy are here. We're just playing hide and seek, ok?" Kato reached out in the dark, and found Anna's shoulder. He pulled her closer to himself, holding her tightly. "We're going to be ok." He kissed her forehead.

For the next hour Kato just held his family as the bombs exploded around them and in the distance. It pained him to hear his children's terrified cries. It wasn't the games but it was almost just as bad. They were vulnerable and trapped, their children's lives on the line, Anna's life on the line...and he was helpless to do much to protect them. When the bombings finally ceased, he could hear the terrified and pained cries survivors outside. He slowly stood and pushed on door which felt like it was blocked by rubble. That was going to take a while to get open. He looked back at Anna and the children. "We might be stuck here for a little while. What do we have in the way of supplies?"

Killian ducked his head a little bit each time another bomb went off. He knew better than to run, but he wanted to. How the children could have possibly fell asleep during this bombing he didn't know. If it really was the Gillicks he wasn't going to resist them as long as he could keep his family. There was going to be very little that he could do for now. Eventually he didn't even jump instead Killian was just a ball of muscles and nearly ready to leap at the slightest deviation of the current situation. Gradually the bombing began to quiet. They needed to get out and to safety before something worse happened. Carefully pulling his arm out of Star's grasp he whispered in her ear. "I'm going to take a look outside."

Peeling the edge of the pool cover up he peered out. There was smoke, dust, and fire everywhere. A little ash began to float into the pool and the smoke was thankfully rolling a few feet above the ground. They caught mostly good air down here in the pool. "Yeah I think most of the house is still there." Whether it was safe or not he didn't know. "We need to get a few more things if we can. Have to get out of the city."

Another crash sounded from behind him and Killian dropped down inside the pool again. He knew it was only the sound of a building collapsing, but it still startled him. Pushing the pool cover back he began to wheedle his way out of the pool again. The patio was uneven and the stones were sticking up in jagged edges all around the house. Even the edges of the pool had cracked. At leas they were semi safe inside the pool. It wasn't wise to leave the kids alone in the pool so he wandered into the house and tried to keep low as the smoke and ash were thick in the city. Coughing a little he covered his mouth and pulled the back door open on the house. It slumped some and groaned when he stepped inside. Quickly as he could Killian gathered shoes for the children, Star and himself. They would need them if they were going to flee and coats. Grabbing their comforter from the bed he began to throw as many things as he could gather that they would need for the next several days. Filters for water, clothing, shoes, food, and medicine. Usually the children and Star had their own and Killian used mostly herbs and natural medicines. It seemed that they had found all the creams he used and oils were far more effective than the synthetic drugs.

Hauling the blanket back to the patio he set it down and pulled the cover back on the pool the rest of the way. It wasn't quite daybreak, but he could see outside a little better and the glow of the burning city was enough he could make out what he needed to. "Get the kids up here. We need to get them dressed and ready to walk. Have to get out of the city." Killian noticed that Star was moving very slowly and she limped as if she had been hurt. Vaulting over the edge of the pool Killian dropped into it and rushed over to her. "Star are you ok?" Anxiously his eyes searched her face of what he could see as the fire cast an eerie light over her. "What happened?"

Anna had a box of food in the cellar for emergencies and water. The only supplies that she really needed were some clothes and the shoes. She knew that in bombing raids and other such events that if a person injured their feet it was nearly over for them. If they needed to move they would need clothes and shoes. Gathering everything that she could in a backpack she ran to the cellar to get it open. Ushering the boys down inside of the cellar she huddled with them while they waited for Kato to come down the stairs and shut the door over them.

It seemed that Kato was barely into the cellar and she could already see the worry that etched itself on his face. He was at least man enough to realize that the children needed him to be calm and he held it together for the time. One of the boys looked at Anna and he saw the worry on her face. Jacob held her face with his dirty little hands. "Mamma your scared."

Nodding a little she grabbed his hands and held them in her own. "It's ok to be scared honey. Just try to stay quiet." With that little agreement she sighed and met Kato's gaze. How long would they be here? She couldn't help worrying about what would come next. By the time the bombing was done her worst fear of this cellar seemed to be true. They were blocked in it for now. Her eyes getting wide she looked at Kato. Mobility was going to be key to survival if the Gillicks had arrived here. They both knew what the games were and she didn't want to see herself, Kato, or least of all the boys in the games. It would destroy the children to be sent there. She needed to stay calm and she lowered her gaze momentarily while she thought. "We have enough water for 3 days maybe 5 and I have rations that should last at least 2 days. Maybe if we take smaller portions the boys can have 4 days of feed and we can skip two different days if we have to." Water was far more important so she wasn't too worried about having to skip meals a few different days. Besides they shouldn't need much more if they were going to be just sitting here.

Above them it seemed there was a wailing that had begun to ring out over the city. People dying, some weeping for the lost and others screaming with panic. It was chaos and she tried to cover the boy's ears. they didn't need to hear this. "Just shhh....." Rocking them gently in her arms she glanced at their worried faces. "We'll be ok. Your dad is a strong man and he'll protect us."

Troops dropped out of the planes after the bombing and the Gillick soldiers began to file through the streets. Anyone in the streets were immediately rounded up and they were marched toward the edge of the city. Outside the city they had begun to set up a small town of tents for the citizens. There was not time to begin looking for anyone. Only those immediately that they could see were being rounded up. Holding the city would be far too difficult for now if they tried to dig through every building. If they could round up those running loose it should cut back on the potential loss of soldiers and subdue the remaining factions within the city walls.

The sound of the harsh Gillick tongue caught Killian's attention and he began to push the family back into the pool. "Get down." Shoving the last of the supplies toward Star he dropped into the pool with her and pulled the cover back over. Huddling inside the pool with the family he waited for the Gillicks to pass over. Maybe they could avoid whatever fate it was that these monsters sought put on them.

An alarm sounded and he heard more planes come overhead. More bombs began to drop and he could hear the shrill screams of a few Gillick that had been hit during this raid. There must have been a counter attack. It looked like Claire was about to start screaming again and Killian clapped a hand over her mouth. "Shhh!" Almost harshly he peered into her eyes. The kids could easily get them killed if they kept this up. Tears rolled down Zack's face and Killian could barely make out the facial expression of Mikey huddled in the corner, clutching Star's shirt and hanging on for dear life.

Tents outside the city and the camps were bombed as well. Intelligence had not indicated if the tents were friendly or not and so they bombed the city knowing very well that a second round could and may very well kill many more citizens. It was a chance and simply a part of war that had to be taken into account. Casualties of war always included a civilian population and they needed this city. This region of the planet was critical to launching and trade. If they lost this city they would be cut off from external trade and much of their communications. The entire planet may well fall into the hands of the Gillicks if they could not take it back. So the lives here were collateral damage as they would save the rest of the planet if they could take this city back.

Overhead more Gillick ships launched to protect the city now. A fierce battle raged on overhead. Screams of missiles sounded and the crash of a fighter into the ground ignited the cracks in the street that had filled with fuel. Even the crooked and twisted paths were broken and now heated with the fires that lit anew. Smoke began to stream into the cellar and Anna coughed. "Kato...." She could see a fire that had begun to lick at the cellar door. "We have to get out." Pulling the night shirts up on the boy's mouths she splashed them with a little water to prevent the smoke from getting into their lungs. They would die if they were here with smoke inside the cellar. It shouldn't have been forced down except that the fire was being smothered by rubble and it was burning the cellar door. Searching for anything heavy enough to swing at the door she finally settled with a massive cooler. "Help me use it like a battering ram."

Killian was trying to get them up and moving, get out of the city which was the clear and apparent target right now. She stood, almost doubling over as her abdomen screamed from the move. The baby. The thought freaked her out. What if the baby had been injured by the blast? Killian leapt down to her, noticing her limp. "I got folded over the ladder during the first blast the threw you. Fell in the pool. I think I pulled something." She held a hand around her waist, gently rubbing her bruised stomach. The sound of Gillick voices put them both on alert. She grabbed the children ushering them back to the corner of the pool as Killian grabbed the supplies and jumped back into the pool with them, pulling the cover back over. As if things couldn't get worse. Gillicks were now wandering the streets and bombs were beginning to fall again. Star held Mikey to her chest with one arm and put an arm around Zach's shoulders with the other while Killian tried to keep Claire quiet.

Star had to bite her lip not to whimper herself. Her stomach was beginning to hurt badly and she was feeling sick. Worse than morning sickness. She could feel her pants getting wet and shifted on the tarp to get away from whatever pool of water she was sitting in and to try and get more comfortable. Mikey was whimpering in her arms and she pulled the blanket over his head and ears. "You're ok. I'm here." She whispered to him.
"Mom, I'm scared." Zach whimpered in her ear.
"I know. Just, cover your ears." She pulled him close and kissed his head. Another explosion sounded nearby and she clutched the children tighter. Mikey was sobbing now and she pressed his mouth into her chest to stifle the sobs. She swallowed down a wave of nausea. Gillicks were invading the city and bombs were destroying the civilians. They would either be killed by the bombs, captured by the gillicks or suffer in the forest as they tried to escape to a safer place. None of the options were good. Why couldn't the universe just let them live peacefully!?

***************************************************************************************************

Kato jumped to his feet as Anna cried out about the smoke. He leapt to his feet and began shoving his shoulder against the door which was starting to hot. Anna pulled large metal cooler out of the corner. "I've got it. Stay with the children." Kato lifted the cooler by the handles and charged the door with it. He heard the wood crack and splinter and more smoke began to pour in. He coughed and lifted his shirt over his nose. His muscles flexed as he rammed the cooler against the door again, and again. Finally he set the cooler down and pushed hard against the door. There was a loud crumbling sound as the burning wood splintered from the force of the damaged door, which nearly broke in two itself as Kato shoved against it.

The smoke burned his eyes and lungs and he could hear Anna and the children coughing as well. Fire was beginning to lick the edge of the cellar door. Kato grabbed a blanket, wrapping it around his hands. Stepping forward he started pushing and pulling at the burning wood to make a hole to freedom for his family. Some of the wood crumbled with ease. Others took a bit more coaxing and fighting. He wasn't able to go horizontally through the rubble, but instead found the best path was slanted upwards. Sweat and ash dirtied his face by the time he pushed away the last barrier keeping them from freedom. "Anna, get through the hole and I'll pass the children through to you." Kato called to her, stripping the burnt blanket from his hands and coughing. "Hurry, before there is another collapse."
***********************************************************************************************
The bombing seemed to last forever. The screams of the dying in the distance only made it worse. Hope that Anna, Kato and the children had survived, or that Grandma Charis was still alive was quickly fading. Even down in the pool they could smell smoke from the fires wafting through. Daylight peeked through the edges of the pool covering and Star could just make out her children's tired and frightened faces. They'd given the children some snacks not long ago to hold them over until they could figure out what to do next. Neither of which Killian knew at the moment. Between the ground troops and the bombings, they were trapped.

As horrible and terrifying as this all was however, there was a much more pressing concern on Star's mind. Painful cramps had begun over the last half-hour and she was pretty sure the warm fluid consistently wetting her pants was coming from her. Her breathing had gotten a bit more labored as the pain increased steadily. No. Please no. Not this one. I want this one. Please, don't let me lose this baby. "Killian..." She whispered, catching his eyes in the dim light. She didn't know how to warn him without frightening the children more. "The baby..." No doubt her tone of voice would be enough to alert him. She grimaced as another cramp hit her. Tears began to roll down her cheeks. I can't lose it. Not after all the other hell we've been through. Please...just let me have this piece of happiness.

Anna backed away from the door as Kato insisted on beating the door open with the metal cooler all by himself. Holding the boys tightly she didn't let them breath in the smoke. Finally a little hole appeared and she knew they would have to get out before it caved in. "Hurry now." Ushering both boys near the entrance of the root cellar Anna started to crawl out through the opening. It was hot on the other side and she burnt her hands on the debris as she struggled to get herself out. "No don't push!" She didn't need Kato to accidently face plant her on the rubble. Finally she had to lean forward and she felt the hot wood and stones begin to burn her forearms. After what seemed like agonizingly long she found herself on the other side and she scampered closer to the opening and held out her singed hands to grab the boys. "C'mon hand them up."

Kato passed the oldest one up first. "Good, now Jacob I need you to go stand over there and wait for me." They couldn't even begin to find the kids if they happened to move somewhere that they shouldn't. Thankfully it was not likely that the children would be moving anyplace. Both the boys were absolutely terrified and she was so afraid that perhaps the boys would be left alone in the city or killed. She had to get out with Kato.

Grabbing the second boy she winced as she felt him squirm and it caused his clothing to scrape and pull at the already damaged skin. "Go stand with your brother and don't move." Anna gave the boy a firm warning and then she stood by to help Kato get out of the cellar. Almost as soon as he was coming out of the cellar she heard a scream from behind. The little woman whipped around to see Gillicks taking the boys into their arms. "No!' Rushing after them Anna grabbed the arms of one Gillick. "They're my sons give them back to me."

Rather than return the boys to her the Gillicks hit her in the head and left her to fall to the street. One of them looked to Kato. "Bring her with. You will join the others in a compound." Now they knew that the humans were acting as a distraction and they could create compounds that would look like temporary military shelters and perhaps divert the bombings from their real work. To ensure that both parents would follow they kept a tight grasp on Jacob and Joseph.

***********************************************************************************************

If only this was just another dream. Killian glanced at the children and Star frequently. Even though Star had said that she just pulled something she was very stiff looking the way she sat. To keep the children quiet he opened the small bag and had given them a few snacks. He had been able to gather more food, but they would have to wait a little bit before opening a can of fruit and having some bread. What he gathered in the house hadn't been much, but it was better than nothing. Besides, he knew that Claire and the boys would never protest to having fruit and bread for breakfast.

The daylight was just starting to stream through the edges of the pool cover and Killian went to the edge to listen for anything. He couldn't hear much besides the screams that had been going on for hours now. It was torment to be here and have nowhere to run or hide. They weren't going to make it very far. Lifting the edge of the pool cover he squinted and had to blink a few times. Smoke burned his eyes, but it had thinned out some. Wandering back over to where the family sat he took up a spot near Star. It was all wet and he wiped his hands off on the front of his jeans. Killian frowned a little and glanced at the pool bottom. Must not have drained everything. As long as the kids were alright Killian figured he might as well sit close to Star. At least Zach, Claire, and Mikey had all settled down and they were about ready to nod off.

About time that they had finally fallen asleep again he noticed Star was shifting uncomfortably again. Killian moved so she could have more space. With all the moving the kids started to wake up. Frowning a little he looked at her. The baby? What was she talking about...everything was fine. A nervous and sick feeling began to settle in his guts. "Ok." Swallowing hard he grabbed an extra blanket and threw it over the kids. "Just don't look." He needed the kids to just stay under the blanket for a few minutes. If there was something going on he was going to need a little light. Walking over to the edge of the pool he pushed it open slightly so they could have some light. Now that he could see better he turned toward Star and he noticed the red'ish pink tinting the entire area around her. Almost instantly his heart went into his throat and he ran back over to where she was. "Oh no...no no."

Star gripped his arm tightly. "I've been cramping for at least half an hour." Another pained tear trickled down her face. "Killian, I don't want to lose this baby." She whispered, trying not to break down. The kids were scared enough as it was.

Not caring about the mess he kneeled in front of her and held onto Star's shoulders. By the looks of it they were too late and it would have required a hospital a while ago. Killian had learned a few things though there was nothing he could do at this point. "I don't think there is anything we can do. Just hang on for a little bit longer."

Star wiped her face and nodded. Taking a shaky breath she looked back over at the children huddled beneath the blanket. "What are we going to do? How are we supposed to escape the city with Gillick patrols and bombings?"

"I don't know." Killian carefully pulled her into a tighter hug. "You can't walk like this. What if you hemorrhage?" By now he was just guessing, but he didn't want her bleed out. "We'll have to wait and I'll keep watch." Star nodded, trembling hands holding him tightly. The sound of more feet came overhead and within the hour Killian saw a flood of light. There was still more blood and the Gillick soldiers ordered them to stand. Carefully Killian pushed himself up and tried no to disturb Star too much. For now he could do his best to cooperate and that would have to be enough. Maybe they would let him stay with Star and the children if he wasn't violent. Helping Star up he got her to the ladder and then the kids before he crawled out of the pool after them and swinging the pack over his back.

Seemed that the Gillick's were going to make them march somewhere. At least he had all the kids in shoes. "Zack grab my belt loop and hold onto Claire." Scooping up Star he helped her get Mikey adjusted so that he wouldn't be bouncing on her stomach. For now it was everything Killian could do to keep from panicking. For the sake of Claire and Zack he walked slowly though as the miles wore on he was getting even more tired and his arms were getting sore from carrying Star and Mikey this long.

Finally they came to a small encampment outside the city walls. They were ushered into a building packed with other families and the blood from the miscarriage had begun to drip freely from Killian's left arm. Almost half of his shirt and part of his pants had begun to soak up some of the fluid and blood as well. Kato and Anna were already there and Killian took Star to one of the beds and set her down before he lowered his head and rested it on the railing. At least she couldn't see his face now and neither could the children. Claire had begun to cry as she saw that her mother was bleeding and Zack's lower lip quivered as he tried hard not to cry. They didn't understand though they could see obviously that Star was pale and bleeding. Automatically their little minds assumed that she was hurt.

Seeing Killian come in stone faced with his children in tow and Star in his arms Anna immediately began to gather the Claire and the boys up. She knew Kato would perhaps be the only one that could help though she wasn't sure that he would be much help at this point.

Kato was just squeezing through the opening when Anna began screaming for the children. Gillick soldiers had Jacob and Joseph held tightly in their arms and one had knocked Anna to the ground. He lept to his feet ready to fight when they ordered them to come with. He helped Anna up, checking her eyes to make sure she hadn't been giving a concussion by the blow. He winced at the sight of the burns on her hands and arms. There wasn't anything he could to about it in this moment about her or the children. He felt so useless, knowing all they could do was follow and pray the gillicks let them keep their children. He kept a comforting arm around Anna's waist as they walked. "Jacob, Joseph, stop struggling. Just let them carry you." He says as strongly as he could manage. He didn't want the heartless Gillicks hurting the children because they were frightened. "Its ok, we're right here. We're just going on a little trip. Its ok." He tried to assure them. They were too young to understand what was going on, but at least they understood he wasn't going to leave them. At least not willingly.

A while later they came upon what Kato assumed was some sort of holding camp. He held Anna tighter as they were checked through the facility. Anna was given the children on the other side but they stopped Kato at the gate, checking his backpack. "Its just medical supplies. I need them to help treat the wounded. I'm a doctor." He explains to the gillicks. They talked between themselves, taking out anything that could be used as a weapon and passing back what remained of the supplies, which wasn't much. He walked with Anna as they ushered into an already crowded building. As soon as they found a place to settle he made the boys sit and turned to Anna having her lift her hands so he could examine the burns with a trained eye. "We're going to be ok." He says, trying to assure her as he pulled out some burn cream and gently began rubbing it across the burns. "We're together. That's what matters." He put the cream back in the bag and wraps her arms and hands in bandages with a gentle touch. When he was done he held her in his arms. "We're going to be ok."

***************************************************************************************************************
Star couldn't sit anymore with the cramps increasing in frequency and intensity. Her head lay on Killian's lap, body curled in a ball, her arms wrapped around her waist. She'd just barely managed to keep from throwing up twice and more than anything was wishing this nightmare would just end. This was the worst possible thing that could happen...at the worst possible moment. When Killian and the children needed her most, she was at her weakest. Star couldn't help the small cry as another painful cramp hit her. By now her pants were completely wet and there was musky odor filling their hiding place that even the children had begun to complain about. Things couldn't possibly get worse...and then they did.

Gillick soldiers threw open the cover to the pool, ordering them to get up. Killian gently helped her into a sitting position and stood. This couldn't be happening. It had to be a horrible nightmare. Claire, Mikey, Zach...what if they were forced into the games? They were just babies! She wanted to scream and fight with every fiber of her being, but doing so would only get them killed. Killian lifted her up out of the pool then gathered the children before getting her and Mikey up again. It took everything within her not to begin crying. Killian's face was so tight. She knew he probably wanted to fight as well, but they both knew that would just cause trouble they couldn't come back from. Zach and Claire were scared and confused, no doubt exhausted as well from not sleeping.

Star wasn't sure how long the trek lasted, though she could see the pain and exhaustion in Killian's expression by the time they neared their destination. During the walk, as she continued to cramp and bleed, she'd come to realize she really was going to lose this one. This little one she'd been so excited about. From something as stupid as the residual blast of a nearby explosion. A bright spot in a dark time snuffed so thoroughly. Had the gillicks not stolen enough from them?

Star grimaced as Killian lay her down on a sketchy bed in the middle of a crowded facility. She was having trouble focusing on anything besides the pain and the fact she was miscarriageing. Kato appeared over her asking how long she'd been bleeding. She shook her head wearily. "Couple hours maybe." Kato looked over at Anna who was half watching the children and half watching Star with pain filled eyes. He looked up at Killian. The man was barely holding it together it looked like. Kato didn't have much in the way of supplies, not that there was much he do for her aside from making sure the miscarriage completed its course and that she didn't get an infection, which was growing more likely in a place like this. His first task had to be to get her into clean clothes or at least a clean blanket.

"Star, I need to get you out of these bloodied clothes, alright?" Kato forewarned her putting on gloves and laying a blanket over her. Star nodded, tears streaming down her face. The children's terrified cries were heart wrenching. She wished she were able to hold them. Kato had just gotten the pants off when another painful cramp hit her nearly causing her to knee Kato in the face. He held her hand until it passed then finished cleaning her up best he could and tucked the blanket around her. "How long is this going to last?" Star finally ventured to ask.
Kato looked up at her sympathetically. "Maybe a few hours. Maybe a few weeks. Just depends on your body."
He looked down the bloodied clothing he'd taken off, and was keeping out of view of the children. "In my best estimate, I would say a few more hours to a couple days, seeing how you've already passed the majority of the birth already, as far as I can tell. I'm so sorry, Star."
Star began sobbing, unable to hold back anymore. Kato balled up the clothing gently, hiding away the miscarriage and looked up Killian. "Did you manage to bring a change of clothing for her? If not I can try and get this is washed for her." He wished he didn't have to ask such things in such moment...but leaving bloodied clothes about in a place like this would attract infections like nothing else. If he couldn't burn it or bury it, he'd have to see that it was cleaned in boiling water at the least.

Last edited:
"We're together. That's what matters." Nice sounding and yet it felt so empty. Anna didn't know if they were all together for any purpose or if this was just a temporary holding spot before they began to divide them up. Quietly she nodded and gathered the boys after her arms and hands were all wrapped up. What she really needed was some sort of method to communicate to the outside world and let them know where all the people were, so she had the boys sit on the edge of the bed near Kato. Finally she found a man that had a watch and she took a chance with him. "I need your watch really fast. If we don't get some kind of contact out of here now then we'll be dead anyway. Even less places to hide here than in the city." It seemed to be enough for him to relent and she began to send quick bursts of signal with a few messages from his watch.

Of course this would put the man at risk so Anna offered to take his watch and she shoved it deep into her and Kato's medical pack. For now the plan was to keep it unless the Gillick's came looking and then she would crush the screen which would take all the immediate suspicion away from them. At least for now the alliance would have a message indicating that they were not to be bombing the barracks outside the town if they wanted to avoid killing the people from the city.

When Star came in. She looked horrible and Anna knew exactly what was going on. The baby that she had been so excited about was now dead. Claire and the boys were all crying and Mikey kept trying to get close to Star. Making her way in Anna carefully scooped Mikey up. He was so heavy. It felt like she was picking up a chunk of lead. "You are one heavy boy." Tapping Zack she nodded to him. "Come over here. Uncle Kato is helping your mamma. Bring Claire with." For now it seemed to be pretty obvious that Killian was trying to pull himself together. She had never realized how fragile the Chippeqouti was in some ways. Somehow she had always thought that he was a bit heartless or at least indifferent. Star saying that Killian was very excited about babies had seemed like a distant or hopeful story. Anna had an entirely different picture in her mind of how Killian would react about babies and she just thought that maybe Star was emotionally abused. You never knew what went on behind closed doors. Anna carefully rested a hand on Killian's shoulder. "I'm taking the kids with me for a few minutes. Ok?"

Killian could feel the bit of blood begin to dry on his left arm and for the time he let the children do as they pleased. He had no emotional energy left to deal with the kids' crying. The gentle bush of fingers on his shoulder and the voice were kind. Just nodding for the time he let Anna take the kids someplace else and Kato basically confirmed that Star lost the baby. It didn't sound like it was going to be threatening to Star's life. He felt so guilty when she started to cry and then Kato wanted to know if there was any other clothing. Killian finally looked at someone besides the stupid bed post. "Yeah in the backpack."

Shrugging the backpack off Killian walked to one of the sinks in the barracks and washed his hands and arms before heading back to the bunk. Kneeling next to Star's bed he grabbed one of her hands. They had both been excited for this one and it made the baby special. He'd never seen her cry like this before and Killian knew it crushed her heart to lose the baby. Carefully he rubbed the back of her hand with his thumb. There wasn't anything to say in times like these. He couldn't really lay on the bed next to her or he would have. Instead Killian remained kneeling and he rested his head on the pillow next to hers. When the crying quieted down for a few moments he lifted his head and leaned in a little closer so he could kiss her carefully. "I love you." Killian still held onto her one hand and he studied her face. They knew each other for far too long for her to hide much.

Bombings started again though they fell all around the compound and it shook there wasn't any direct hits. Claire and the boys darted away from Anna to curl themselves underneath Star's bunk. All of them lay still and held their breath. Little Claire began to crawl toward the edge of the bunk and she held onto Killian as best she could from her position. The bunk shuddered again as another bomb dropped. Children were hiding under bunks all over the room, it wouldn't really do anyone any good to hide like that. If a bomb hit them they were dead anyway. Gripping Star's hand a little more tightly Killian met her gaze again as the bombs dropped around them. "I'm gonna stay here all damn night."

Early the next morning Killian woke. His leg throbbed from sitting on it all night long. The hard ground was hardly forgiving. Shifting a a little he tried to get comfortable. The bang of a door opening temporarily drew his attention and a Gillick came into the room. Everyone had to raise their hands and Killian quickly dug into his pack when he saw that they were ushering everyone outside and he handed Star his shirt. Maybe it would be long enough to maintain some privacy. Slowly he raised his hands as the Gillick's approached this line of bunks and then they to were taken outside.

"Someone here has been sending messages to the enemy. We allowed the message to go through and we were able to prepare in time. All of you will come outside and see what you have done." One of the Gillick's smiled wickedly as he began to usher them all outside. Even Star was forced to walk herself. They would not allow Killian to carry her. Outside they saw a line of soldiers that had supposedly resisted and they were forced to watch as the Gillick's executed them. Killian glanced at Star and she almost looked numb after all this. She was still unsteady on her feet and he lowered one hand to try and steady her when a Gillick hit him sharply in the legs and began to pat his body now.

Killian hit the ground and he winced. His leg had already been sore and it began to throb harder after the hit. "She miscarried." Though the Gillick's were typically cruel this one glanced at the female and realized that the extraordinarily long shirt on her must have belonged to the Chippeqouti and they could see the small puddle forming on the ground beneath Star. She hadn't even pants to wear and since she had to hold her hands up the same as the rest the shirt was dangerously short. Snorting the creature gave Killian permission to wrap one arm around Star, but he still had to hold the other in the air. Gingerly getting to his feet Killian put one arm around Star's waist and he watched the execution of the soldiers with dull eyes.

Her heart beat faster as Anna witnessed the Gillick's begin to slowly shoot one prisoner after another. She did this. It was her fault that they died and yet how could she compare it to those that she might have saved in the compound. Perhaps it should have been better if they all died with a single hit of a bomb or maybe two. If this planet was lost due to that one transmit she didn't know how she could live with herself. That cursed watch and the message had only destroyed more lives. When she got back to the barracks she was going to take the watch out and destroy it. She would have to send her warning code to alert them that this was no longer a viable means of communication. From here on out they were on their own and it scared Anna. What if she wasn't smart enough to save anyone? What if this was it?

This night was almost worse than the previous night of bombings. Star had never felt so helpless or hopeless. There was little pain worse than losing a child, even one she had yet to meet. The gillicks had taken so much from them...and they just kept taking. The future was uncertain and the odds of their children's survival was dropping quickly. There was no comfort in Killian's caress this night, nor any assurance in his words, and as the bombs fell yet again she almost wished they would just kill her.
Before Star opened her eyes the next morning she hoped it was all a dream. The bombings, the capture the loss of the baby...it had to be a dream. But it wasn't. The pounding on the door and gillicks harsh tone ordering them to their feet quickly reminded her of the current nightmare they were in. Killian gave her his shirt and she just managed to slip it on before she was pulled out of the bed with no thought given to her suffering. She glanced behind her at the bed, the sheets red with blood that had continued to leak during the night. Even now, hours later, she continued to bleed though the cramping thankfully had faded to a bearable ache. Her baby...gone, before it even had a chance to live its life, before she'd even gotten to know its gender. It was too cruel. Too cruel.

A gillick jabbed her in the side with a gun, ordering to raise her hands. She didn't even have the heart to glare at them as she came to stand beside Killian, staring at them sullenly. Her legs trembled and she could feel herself swaying dangerously. Killian reached out to her only to be smashed in his bad knee. She cried for him as the Gillicks knocked him to the ground. Had they no heart, no compassion? The guard Killian spoke to stared at her in disgust, noting the reddish-pink puddle forming between her feet. Perhaps this one did have a little heart because he finally relented to let Killian support her with an arm around her waist.
She hid her face in his chest as the soldiers were shot. The message was loud and clear. Resistance was futile, and only ended in death. Granted, she couldn't imagine this entire situation ending much differently.

Kato looked over at Anna as she stared at the executions, horror all over her face. He wished he could hold her and hide her from the sight. He wished he could jump forward to save them, but doing so would only result in his death and then where would Anna and his children be? Being captured by the gillicks here was just about the worst thing that could happen. He was terrified that any moment they would be carted away to the games or that he would be separated from Anna and the boys and never see them again. He glanced over at Killian and Star who looked to be on the edge of despair. Star especially had lost all light in her eyes and her skin was painfully pale. His doctor's mind worried for her, especially being that they were stuck in a place like this. If they weren't careful here, sickness would start running rampant and those with compromised immune systems would be the first to fall. Hopefully her gillick blood would protect her till her body was recovered.

When the executions were finally over, and they were allowed back in the barracks he breathed a sigh of relief and sorrow. Too many people had died today and more would die in the future. Anna was looking rather nervous about the whole thing, undoubtedly worried about the saftey of the children. They'd seen that these creatures had few morals and there was little they wouldn't do to humans...even children. As soon as they were back in the room he stripped the bloodied sheets and blanket from Star's bed so they would be clean by the time she made it back inside. While he did he noticed Anna digging through his pack. "What are you looking for? Do you need more of the burn cream?" Kato asked, noticing the somewhat strained look on her face.
"Papa! When are we going home!? I don't like it here!" Jacob whined.
"Me too! It stinks." Claire moaned and the rest of the children began crying their various complaints.
"This is our new home for a little while. Its like camping, with a bunch of new people to talk to and friends to make." Kato tried to sound positive for them.

Star appreciated Kato at least managing to remain somewhat positive for the children. She had no emotional capacity for it at the moment. "Thank you." She murmured to him as he lay down a new sheet and blanket for her. She lay down with a soft groan, pulling the blanket closer to her chest. She stared listlessly at the children as they swarmed her bed with worried little faces.
"Mommy. Why were you bleeding!?" Claire demanded.
"Are you hurt? Are you dying?" Mikey cried.
"Are we in danger?" Zach asked Killian worriedly. "Are there going to be more bombs?"
Star gently brushed Claire's black curls with her fingers. "Mommy is ok. Just take care of eachother, alright?" She wiped the tears from Mikey's face. "You don't need to cry, Mikey. I'm ok." The lies one told to protect one's family. They needed her to be strong, something that felt so impossible at the moment and yet...she had to try...for their sake.

Tensions were high and for those that were not caught up in the tension it was a sinking despair. Killian did his best to help Star to the bed while he thought of anything that he could do to make it better or easier for the family. He had extra blankets and he could put the kids all on the top bunk. Zach was old enough not to fall off and the other two would be sturdy and if they fell he doubted it would be anything beyond a little bruising. They would learn quick. With the extra blankets he could make the bed a sort of sanctuary for Star. She didn't have to have all these people staring at her from all ends. Maybe he could string up some wire to thread through the blankets. That was the best he could come up with for now.

Digging around in the pack he had Killian started to work on the project in mind when the kids started to surround him and Star. Killian was perched on the floor near her bed and he looked at Zach. "Yes we're in danger." The boy looked like he was going to panic. So far the other two were hovering over Star. Their little minds were far more focused on their mother and it showed their lack of maturity. Killian motioned for Zach to sit next to him. "I don't know about anymore bombs. Maybe we'll live here for a very long time and maybe not." Pushing some of the blanket toward the boy he continued to thread the wire he through the top of the blanket. "For now you're old enough to help. We need to make a nice little room for mom so she can rest more and we'll need to start gathering anything we find. You never know what might come in handy. Little bits of string, paper, cloth, anything at all. Don't get yourself in trouble taking things though. Just make sure you stay away from the Gillicks and only take from other people what they don't want. No need to divide the folks here or get yourself hurt."

It seemed the boy understood the instructions and Killian nodded to him. "You'll become a man far quicker than I hoped." He wanted Zach to enjoy his childhood and here he was thrust into another horrible situation. First he lost his parents and now he was a refugee in a camp controlled by the enemy. "Now you get that worry off your face and focus on what you have to do eh? You can talk to me about your worries, but don't be talking to others about it." Hopefully the boy didn't go to Star with his worries.

While Killian continued to work on his project he eventually felt little Claire begin to crawl into his lap and he made room for her while Mikey refused to leave Star. Patiently Killian worked on the wire and blanket till he had a curtain that he began to fasten to the wall. Taking another piece of wire he ran it from the bed across from them so that he could suspend the curtain half way into the walk so that she had some privacy if she wanted to change. Once he had the curtain fastened to the wall he pulled it aside and he noticed the semi jealous glares of many folks in the room. Of course they would want what he had. Also meant that he would have to watch out for it. Stepping into the curtain with Zach and Claire he noticed that it stayed warmer since the wind from the door and window didn't reach the mini room as well as it would if it was just open. "Not much, but I know you need some privacy."

************************************************************************************

Anna desperately dug through the bag and she had lost track of the children. It looked like Killian and Star's kids had wandered off to their parents again. She couldn't watch them all the time anyway. Her boys since being snatched by the Gillicks that one time stayed very close to her and Kato so she wasn't too worried about them. "I just need that watch."

"The watch? What for?" Kato questioned.

"We don't need it anymore." Anna pulled the watch that she had pawned off one of the men in the room. "Just one last little thing to do." Pressing a series of buttons she transmitted one last signal and then fumbled with it. A Gillick was charging through the room and she 'accidentally' stepped on the watch. Quickly sitting down again she tossed it into the bag and gave Kato a warning glance. He'd better not say a word about this.

Kato glanced at Anna then suddenly stepped in front of the Gillick. "Sir, I need medical supplies. There are alot of injured people here in need of treatment. I'm a doctor, I can help them if you'll get us supplies." Too birds with one stone. Asking for something that they did need while also distracting the Gillick from Anna's "accidental" breaking of the watch. He could only assume her actions meant that she'd been the one to send the message that the gillicks had picked up on.

Sneering at the doctor the Gillick glanced down at the little woman and then back at the man. With a growl he pushed Kato aside and stared at Anna and the boys. Rudely brushing past them he started for the next family. The little woman looked up at Kato and she nodded. "Thank you."

Kato breathed a sigh and sat down next to Anna. He put an arm around her waist. "I know you have contacts, and abilities and spy skills..." He whispered. "But don't do anything that's going to put you at risk and get you killed." He pleaded with her. "The children need their mother and I need you."

Slowly the little shell of confidence fell from her face. "And if I don't use the skills I have and they die it could be my fault. If I do and they die it's my fault anyway. I would rather do something and take responsibility for it than do nothing."

"I'm not saying to do nothing. I'm saying, don't put yourself at risk. If that means doing nothing for time being then that's what you do. Your family comes first. Your life comes first." Kato looks at her seriously, his blue-grey eyes searching hers for the promise that she wasn't going to get herself killed.

Somehow he was always so sure that doing nothing was safer. Anna stared back into his eyes and the usual spark of defiance danced there despite her insecurities. Like everyone else in this place she didn't know what this would lead to in the end, but she would do whatever it took to get them out. Kato would remain a busy doctor she was sure. Someone was bound to get sick in this place and she wasn't about to give up all her efforts. What was he going to do about it? Turn her in? Maybe the worst he could do was divorce her. After everything they had been through together she couldn't imagine him doing that.

It was all quiet now. No more bombs and there was an eerie hush about the camp. Then the door burst open to the pitiful compound buildings and the Gillicks shouted an order.

Killian woke to the banging on the door and he stepped out of the curtain to hear that the Gillicks were going to start dividing families into sectors. They would each live in a different section of compound that they were going to build with their own hands. Wherever they were going he didn't know and he started to try and collect their things, but the Gillicks wouldn't let him. Instead he hurriedly pushed the children's shoes onto their little feet and thrust their coats at them and then Star her own things that she had remaining.

His knee was still sore from the kneeling on the floor and the hit to it. Limping out with the family into the field he couldn't help remembering the men that were shot out here only a few days before. Instinctively he wanted to run and still he had an urge to stay here and take care of the children even if all he could do was hide their faces before they were shot down. Zach's eyes went wide as the boy recognized the area and he glanced up at Killian who just shook his head. There was no need to alarm the little ones. It wouldn't do them any good if they were going to be killed and if they weren't panicking now could very well get them killed.

"We have control of this planet and now you will work for us. The production and city has been divided into sectors and there will be no communication between them. Each head of household will be given a number and they will report to the commandant with the corresponding number."

There was nothing personal about this. Killian waited like the rest of them to receive a number of sorts. When the Gillick stopped in front of him he smiled cruelly and then Killian was assigned number seven. The men before him had been number 5. Why did they choose 7 for him? It had be something worse than sector 6. They then continued with six on the other side and then eight for the next man so that it followed the pattern up to 11. The only conclusion that Killian could come up with was that they knew who he was and they wanted to assign him something that they considered the worst.

No one was allowed to go back to barracks for their belongings, instead Killian led Star and the kids in a procession of people that were then directed to load into a truck. Killian noticed it was hardly more than a bench inside and he sat uncomfortably close to a complete stranger. Claire had to sit on his lap and Mikey was sitting on Star's. Each bump in the road felt like they were bouncing on a rock and he couldn't help cringing for Star's sake. She had to be in pain after the miscarriage and then all this violent bouncing along the road. At last the truck came to a stop. It was on the outskirts of the town and he stepped out just in time for a bag to be thrust at him.

"You will work in the mines. Build your home after your work is done. Each family is given a tent and supplies to last one week while you settle in." Only the men were assigned work because it was assumed that the women would find some way to provide food for their families and if they couldn't then the families would starve and quite frankly the Gillicks didn't care.

Killian. The ever faithful husband. Even in his own pain he still found ways to make things a little easier on her. She almost smiled at the makeshift curtain he strung up for her with Zach. Mikey slept on her chest and she scooted over a little so Killian could sit next to her. "Not much, but I know you need some privacy."
She nodded at him and glanced at the curtain. "Thankyou." She sighed lightly, resting a hand on his leg. She still wore his spare shirt but with the new privacy she could change into the set of clothing Killian had in has pack as soon as the last of bleeding tapered off. She would do that tomorrow, as she was too exhausted to do it now. He moved to get up and she tightened her grip on his leg. "Stay...please." She whispered, eyes brimming with tears again. There wasn't much room on the bed, and she doubted he wanted lay among bloodied sheets and blankets but she needed him close, now more than ever.
It didn't take long for the Gillicks to move them again. Star barely had time to dress before the Gillicks were hauling them out and lining them up by family, handing them numbers then loading them into trucks. She sat next to Killian, trying not to tremble as she wondered where they were going. Her worst fear was that they would be sending them to the games. She tightened her hold on Mikey as the door to the truck closed and the vehicle took off. The first bump in the road was painful enough to her already aching abdomen. Each successive bump felt worse than the last, especially with the heavy toddler on her lap. By the time they stopped she was near ready to cry or jump out of the truck and just walk herself.

The doors flew open and followed Killian out with a pained limp, holding Mikey and Zach's hands tightly. Keeping them close beside her. The Gillick gave them a brief overview of what was expected of them. It was better than she'd expected. Mine work wasn't so bad and at least they'd be allowed to build homes. Both her and Killian had experience in mining and in building homes from scratch. Food they could grow and supplies they could scavenge. It wouldn't be easy, but it was survivable. Star mourned for the children though. They were too young to experience hardship such as this. They'd never gone a day hungry or cold. Now they were about to experience both and more. She looked to Killian praying he wouldn't break. If they were going to survive this, they would have to lean on one another as they always had before. She just hoped she'd be able to hold her end of the family up.
***************************************************************************************************************
Kato looked down at the number shoved into his hands. 9. He looked over at Anna and the children, holding them close as they were ushered towards the truck that would be taking them to sector 9. The drive was only about 20 minutes long and when the doors opened they found themselves in what looked like the center of the city. They were staring up at a large metal works factory that had managed to survive the bombings.
"You will remain in sector 9 at all times. Anyone to venture beyond the boundaries of the orange tape will be shot on sight. Men will work the factories everday and you will not be allowed to return to your families till you fulfill your quota for the day." The head gillick in charge of sector 9 declared. "You will be given with one week's supplies to start. The rest you must earn or find for yourself. Any man who does not fulfill his quota will see his family suffer. Report here tomorrow morning at day break."

The gillick turned away and Kato looked at Anna. "We should see if we can find a building still standing." He looked down at Jacob and Joseph who stared at him wide-eyed. "We're going on a scavenger hunt. That's fun right?" He ruffled their hair, smiling sadly. He lifted the bag of supplies over his shoulder and took one of the boy's hands. "Let's move."
Star sat next to Killian before a small fire that they'd made outside their tent. They'd set up camp near the edge of the forest and town, about a 1o minute walk from the mine. The children had already collapsed in the tent, exhausted by the events of the last few days. She was still bleeding but it was much less now and at a slower rate, thankfully. Part of her was grateful she wouldn't have to be pregnant in a place like this, but even that thought did little to soften the pain of losing a potential child. Her hand gently massaged his knee as she rested against him. She knew the old injury was hurting him, though there was little they could do about it. Hopefully he wouldn't damage it more in the mines. "I'll take the children into the town to scavenge supplies while you're at the mines tomorrow." She said softly.

One week's supply was ridiculous. Anna almost glowered at the guards. She would have to make do with gathering anything of value and trading for food. Glancing at Kato she almost hissed. "Gather what? We're in the middle of the city. What food is there to gather?"

"There are stores and cellars." Kato replied softly. He knew she was worried. He was as well. For the children, for her. "We'll find a way. We have too."

"When the stores and cellars are all raided?" Anna was more than skeptical. "They'll leave us here to starve."

"They need us to work their factories and if they let us starve there will be no one to work them. There will have to be ways to trade, grow food and those sorts of things." Kato didn't know much sieges but he couldn't imagine the gillicks gaining anything by letting them starve.

He was always the optimist. Anna smiled at him and stood on her tippy toes to kiss him. "That's one of the things I love about you most. Sometimes I think you just like to try and be an advocate for any and everything that's good. I just hope our boys turn out more like you and less like me." As she fell back on her heels the grin only grew larger. "Perhaps that's why I chose you. Needed someone to help level out the wild nature. Who knows what they would have turned out like if I'd married someone wilder."

Kato smiled gently at her. "And you keep me from taking life too seriously." He leaned down and kissed her gently. "We're going to make it through this, Anna. This seige won't last forever, and we'll find a way to live in spite of it. Speaking of which, we should find a place to settle while its still light out."

While she hated to admit it Anna was slightly skeptical of Kato's ability to pick out a good place to live. He was to her knowledge slightly inept in the ways of survival and it concerned her deeply. Still she followed like an obedient little wife. For now she had to play the part. There were many to convince that she was of no danger. If they were going to make it she had to play the game and put them in check mate before they knew that there was a pawn on the loose. All it took was one little pawn with the help of a queen. Ever since the games she had a little well kept secret. That queen was in her pocket and she knew it. Perhaps that queen would be the one to save them.

Anna wasn't anyone of consequence and she knew that. Just a pawn, and always a pawn. However, if she was going to be effective she had to know that and know when she had connections not to be taken lightly. While she let Kato find their new home she began to plan ways to out maneuver the Gillicks. It was too bad that she didn't have Killian and Star here. He was always useful when it came to a fight and one day it was likely they would have to stand up and fight.

With each step leading into the house Anna ascribed a little step in her process to get started. There were 8 steps leading to the front door and that was all she needed. Just 8 steps to the first half of her process. Every time she walked up or down these steps she would remind herself of what she was doing here. Poor Kato he couldn't know everything. He was never good at this sort of stuff. Only a portion of her life was his. Perhaps he knew something of the watch, and yet he didn't know the rest of the story. If she told him would he even look at her the same. When they got out of here she was determined to leave this life behind. It was too long that she had been holding secrets since the beginning of this war. Things that she held for times such as these.

Killian staked out the tent and he got a fire started with Star. There were so many things that she didn't understand. He was terrified of being underground like that all day everyday. It was hot and he could work in hot environments, probably better than if it was terribly cold. What he was afraid of was the fact that the only Chippeqouti he'd seen that worked in mines died or became very ill. The Gillicks had purposefully given him this location. They were going to try and kill him. The mines would do it and he had a family to take care of. If he didn't perform they would suffer and if he fought they would die. It was all a new way to break him and he had no choice.

The rubbing that started at his knee wasn't so bad at first and then she started to massage the muscles and joint. Killian winced a little and bent his leg. Jumping a little he grunted. "Owe." Somehow she had managed to hit a sore spot. Considering the fact that it was all sore he shouldn't have been surprised. "Could you maybe rub something else? A shoulder, my head, hand, or whatever." He carefully moved her hand away from his leg and knee. "Just it hurts a little more than usual tonight."

Early the next morning he woke to the sound of a horn blaring across the district and he got up. Gathering the bag of equipment he started limping toward the mines with the other men. The Gillicks sent Killian to the far back of the mine and he almost felt his throat tighten with the anxiety that the situation caused. He couldn't see the sun and all they gave him was a lamp to work with. Light dimly lit the area he was working on and they made him use the pick ax. Apparently it was a mineral that was delicate and it required mining by hand rather than machine. Some things couldn't be replaced with machinery and some techniques were only mastered by men and this kind of mining was one of them. It was a mix of picking with the ax and some digging by hand. Rocks from the mine were sharp and the mineral had razor like edges where it stuck out of the stones that he had to gather.

When Killian returned to the camp his hands were full of cuts and his arms were scraped in various places. Little Claire was so tired that he had to keep waking her up to finish her food. The kids would starve if they couldn't eat and he didn't want that to happen. It wasn't much, but at least it was something. Then part way through the night the girl began to wail and so did Mikey. Both of them were hungry and Killian didn't have anything to give to them so instead he let the kids crawl into the blankets with Star and himself.

Star gathered the children after they woke the next morning and had a small breakfast of stale bread and dried fruit. She hated leaving the tent and their supplies unguarded but they didn't have a choice. They needed supplies if they were going to survive. She handed Claire a sock. "Alright beautiful girl. We're going to do a treasure hunt today. Remember the sorts of seeds I would plant in the garden?" Claire nodded. "Good. I need you to put all the seeds you can find in that sock there. Not rocks or pebbles...seeds." She handed Zach a pillow case. "Zach, I need you to collect any nails, tools, thread, rope or things like that we can use. If you're not sure, ask me. Mikey you just stay close to me and help me, alright?" She took his and Claire's hand and they walked to the ruined village a few hundred yards away.

There were already women scavenging here with their children. Pretty soon there wouldn't be anything left to find. Still, they did what they could, spending the next several hours digging through the rubble. The kids were getting tired and hungry and starting to complain. She was hungry, tired and hurting too. There wasn't much they could do about that.

Eventually the children's crying became too much and she had to turn around and take them back to the tent. Their haul was small. Zack had managed to find a plentiful haul of nails, containers, even a hammer and a seeing kit which would come in handy. Mikey had stuffed his pockets with pebbles while claire had collected anything that could potentially be a seed. Star had managed to find some rope, bags, blankets, curtains, and some other small things.

Killian returned tired and worn looking, his hands and wrists covered in cuts. She boiled some water, cleaning strips of curtains for bandages to wrap his hands. There wasnt much to be said as they ate a meager meal and went to bed still hungry.

************************************************************************************************************
Kato found them a brick house that was still mostly standing. Out of the other options, this was proving to be the best and the least likey to fall in their heads. The boys rushed off to explore the house while Kato pulled out some of the rubble.

The house still had most of its holdings. Furniture, utensils, medicine in the cabinents, food in the cupboards. There were plenty of things they could trade if needed. It wasn't their house but it was something. Kato put an arm around Anna's waist. "We're going to get through this."
The next morning, Kato left early for the factory. They were making spare parts for the gillicks ships that had been damaged in the attack. After they found out he was a doctor with good eyes and steady hands Kato was put on an assembly line with intricate motherboard pieces that he had to solder together.

It was boring work but it was relatively simple and safe. Anna would be relieved to know that. He figured he could have his quota filled by dinner time easily and then there was a small explosion and resulting screams in the other room. Kato rushed from his post and came into the room where they were processing the metal gathered from the mines. Apparently the metal was extremely volatile and key to the repair of gillicks ships.

Kato hurried to where the injured were being pulled to safety. There were several nasty burns and abrasions that needed treatment but almost no medical supplies with which to help them. Someone rushed in with a first aid kit. It had a pathetic amount of bandages and ointments. He'd only be able to treat the worst of them. As he tried a pair of guards pushed into the group. "Get back to work!" They helped.
"Sirs, these men need medical attention. I'm a doc..." Kato was cut short by a painful strike to the stomach with the butt of a gun. He grunted, folding over.
"I said get back to work!"
Kato, despite all his instinct to do otherwise, was forced to abandon the men to take care of themselves.

He shuffled in the door late that evening. Two of the men had died because he hadn't been allowed to help them. They're screams still echoed in on his mind, a painful reminder of the games and the cruelty of the gillicks. He looked up at Anna and gave her a hug as she greeted him. "I'm alright. It's just busy work. Nothing dangerous or all that difficult...for me at least." He sighed. "Two men were killed today in another part of the factory. I wasn't allowed to help them. That was hard..." He kissed her gently and pulled away. "What did you and the children do?"

************************************************************************************************************
The days fell into a pattern. Waking, meager breakfast, scavenging, meager dinner, sleep. Star hated how Killian was beginning to look. He wasn't getting nearly enough food or sunlight and the mining was murder on his hands. She'd found a pair of gloves for him and managed to restitch them so they would sort of fit. Hopefully it would help, but he really needed more food. They all did. With his help she'd managed to put some traps together and hide them in the forest. With any luck they'd catch some game.
Four days later, as they were scavenging through the rubble near the border of their district Zach called to her anxiously. "MOM! Mom! I hear barking down here!" Star, Claire and Mikey met Zach at the ruined house he was standing at. He was digging through the rubble, pulling at boards and concert. Star could hear the definite sound of barking coming from below. She helped him pull away the rubble till a hole appeared and a dog's about pushed through. "Mom, we have to get it out!" Zach pleaded.
"We'll do what we can." Star promised. They spent the next half hour digging at the hole until it was large enough for the dog to squeeze through.

A large black Labrador leapt from the hole and tackled Zach with an unending stream of wet licks and happy whimpering. Zach laughed and Claire and Mikey exclaimed in joy over their new found pet. "Can we keep it mom!? Please!?" They begged. She looked at them sadly.
"We can't feed it..."
"We'll find a way!" Zach says enthusiastically. "Please mom!"
Star sighed. The pleading look in their eyes, their smiling faces. It was too much. She finally relented. "Alright. But it has to feed itself."

The children screamed in joy and the dog barked. "Zach, check it's collar and see if it has a name." Zach did so. "Um, it says, Lucy. Hi lucy!"
The Labrador barked, it's tail wagging happily. Poor thing, trapped beneath the rubble for five days. Star smiled gently at the children's joy. "Ok, let's finish gathering supplies and then we can go back to the tent."

The children exclaimed in joy as Killian came back. "Dad! Dad! We got a dog! Her name is lucy!" Zach exclaimed and proceeded to tell the story of her rescue. Star shrugged at Killian. "They were so excited about it...i couldn't say no. Told them it has feed itself though."

Anna lurked through the building with the boys. There were a few floors and she was far more keen on keeping it protected for now. Mostly the folks that had not found a home or discovered one that was mostly empty had begun to flock to other houses to try and raid them. Rigging up a few pans to wiggle and make noise she started to venture out shortly before evening. It was a time that hopefully many of the others were done with their raids and she could get some work done. So far she'd managed to keep everything that was in the house when they arrived. That was an accomplishment in itself.

Being a light and slender person she took herself into many cubby holes that should not have supported her weight, but there was food and supplies that they would be needing. Many of the women from the city were not nearly so efficient with survival and she smirked to herself. They were probably cursing their bodies by now when they had in the past been rude enough to point out her tiny figure. 'Wasn't enough for a man to love.' Well...All that changed now that she was the more able bodied woman to obtain what they would really need. Then she began to work on gathering the parts for a pad. There needed to be some way to make contact with the outside world and then she found one. It was in a building that no one would dare to use. The pad could get enough light if she shifted it during sunny days to charge and then she could send messages with it.

Moving the pad to be sure it would be protected from potential rain she wandered back to the house and found the boys huddled exactly where she left them. The woman began fixing a meal. There was a bit in the cupboards, but she was careful to ration it. Beans and rice were on the menu for the night and Joseph complained when she set it on a plate in front of him. Glancing at Kato she took a seat at the table and pointed to their son's plate. "Eat it or go hungry. I'm sure you will miss it someday." Turning her gaze toward Kato she asked about his day though she suspected that his day was far worse than what he let on. Carefully she nodded and answered his question in turn. "We protected the fort and then made a little scavenger hunt for extra goodies."

Of course they couldn't understand very well at this age, but she was still frustrated with the fact that her sons couldn't know anything unless they experienced it. In many ways Anna was anxious for them to get older and be more self sufficient.

Early the next morning Anna got up while the boys were sleeping and she peered out the windows. None of the women had left their homes yet. The men had gone out and this was going to be one of her chances to send a message. Stepping out the door she walked down the broken and cracked street. Catching her toe on one of the chunks she cursed under her breath, but she continued. By the time she reached the building her heart had almost rose to the back of her throat. Anna looked behind herself to be sure that she wasn't being watched before she raced up the stairs and into the room. Pulling the pad out she began typing the message at a furious pace and then sent it.

When she arrived home both of the boys were crying and they sat in the kitchen acting as if she had been gone all day. Anna looked at them and sighed. "I'll make a little breakfast in a few minutes. Ok?" She would maybe have to make a new routine. The boys did have a memory long enough to tell Kato if this happened more than once or maybe even this time.

As soon as Killian arrived home he heard laughter. It was the first in several days. Star didn't look like she felt all that great about it. Everything made more sense when she told him about the dog. Keeping his voice low he sighed. "Might as well keep it around and if things get bad we'll eat it." He didn't figure it was a good idea to tell the kids. "Just don't let the neighbors get to uh....." About that time the kids came barreling toward Killian and they were more than happy to announce the name of their dog and the animal walked up to him with it's tail wagging.

By the end of the first 3 months Killian's hands were raw and they bled almost constantly from all the work that never let his hands heal. He didn't even feel good anymore. There was no such thing as a good day. Gradually his skin had begun to get more pale. At least what was pale for him and he lost some weight again. Building a house in the time off work was exhausting. Finally one night he collapsed just inside the framed building and stared at the sky. What was the point anyway? He was going to get all this work done and he didn't think it would do them any good. Several of the men had already begun to get sick and a few died from a cough of sorts. They needed a doctor and Killian was starting to think that he needed a doctor too.

Lucy was still hanging around and the dog weaved her way through the framing to try and lick Killian's face. Pushing the dog away he grunted. "Your breath stinks." No matter the insult she still sat in front of him with her tail wagging and panting merrily. Even the dog was starting to look a little thin these days. It made Killian nervous. What if the dog got hungry enough it attacked one of the kids or Star?

Getting up off the ground he wandered back toward the tent. It wasn't quite too dark to work, but he didn't have the energy to keep working. Taking the meager serving of food from Star he nodded. "Smells good." No matter what she cooked he didn't see the point in complaining. What she served was the best she had and thankfully the kids knew better than to say anything by now. They were hungry too. Killian noted how Claire and the boys were gobbling their food rapidly and then their hungry little faces turned toward the empty pot. Taking just a few more bites he then started to serve a little more food onto their plates. Each of them got an equal portion of what remained on his dish. "I won't be hungry since I don't have work tomorrow anyway." One day of the week he was allowed to rest and then he would be back at it in the mines. Usually on that day he slept. Killian didn't bother to expend any energy he didn't have to.

By the next morning the horn sounded and those who had today to work got up. The rest of them stayed home. However, it was different. Another horn sounded at mid-day and Killian got up. Shuffling with crowd of people toward the edge of the district he saw a giant truck with supplies. The Gillicks had records of all the most productive men from the mines and they awarded them with extra rations based on their work.

This was one time that Killian was glad to be a Chippeqouti. He had accomplished more than most. Star and the kids helped by taking some armfuls of food so that he wouldn't have to carry it all. At least the Gillicks realized there was no such thing as food or supplies left to scavenge and while this was more than they had in quite some time it was barely enough to last the month that they were given until the next disbursement. "Guess I'll have to work harder so we get more next time eh?" Killian winked at Star. "We'll just have to work through it like everything else." Somehow that phrase was more ironic sounding now.

Star smiled back at Killian as they brought home extra supplies because of his work in the mine. It was a small blessing, she'd begun resorting to scrounging for roots in the forest to feed everyone. There wasn't much left to gather, but a fresh set of supplies was just what they needed to bring a little hope back into their lives. She began looking through what they'd been given and tried to figure out the best way to ration it while Killian rested some more. She kept glancing at him, worried at the amount of weight he and the children were losing. Worried about the paling of his skin and sickly look in his eye. She'd done her best to help build what she could of the house when he was in the mines. But with three children and other responsibilities it was difficult to get much done.

She sighed wearily. They wouldn't survive much more of this. Winter was only a few months away. People would get sick and start dying in droves. The remaining survivors would be forced to work harder to make up for the loss of workers and then they too would die. It was a bleak future ahead. Star looked at Killian worriedly. If he was weakening this much already, how was he going to survive the winter? Chippequoti were especially vulnerable in the winter, and her children were no exception. Star wiped away a worried tear and went back to rationing their supplies.

The next day Star worked in the small garden she'd started a few months back. Little green sprouts were popping up. Soon they'd have carrots, tomatoes and lettuce. She hoped. One set of green leaves was looking suspiciously like strawberries. That would be bummer for her but at least Killian and Zach would be able to eat them for sure. And maybe she could trade them for some other vegetable.
"Mom..." Zach shuffled to her looking pale. "I don't feel good."
Star wiped off her hands and stood. "You don't feel good?" She touched his forehead which was hot to the touch. Every instinct in her wanted to panic but she managed to guide him back to the tent and wrap him tightly in blankets. "Just stay in bed and drink lots of water, ok?" She put a bottle of water beside him. "Call me if you start feeling worse."
Zach nodded and she left the tent taking a deep breath. Hopefully it was just a cold and his body would fight it off naturally.

By nightfall Zach's fever had increased and he was shivering, his body breaking out in sweats. He couldn't keep any food or water down either and she'd emptied the throw-up bag twice. While she adjusting the blankets around him, she touched his ankle and he let out a quite yelp. Star's forehead furrowed and she pulled the blankets back from his leg. There was a nasty white and red spider bite that had caused his ankle to swell. She remembered something about some spider bites causing reactions like this, sometimes even leading to death if the person had a severe enough reaction. Star grabbed one of wet rags from the cool water bucket and wrung it out, wrapping it around his ankle. She didn't know what else to do. Star looked up as Killian shuffled wearily into the tent. "Zach's having a bad reaction to what looks like a spider bite. I don't know what to do." She showed him the swollen ankle, on the verge of tears. She couldn't lose another child. She couldn't.
***************************************************************************************************
Kato's muscles bulged as he helped unload another crate of mined metals and carefully carried it over to the furnace. Sweat glistened on his dirtied brow and he winced at the heat from the fires. He'd been moved to this section of the factory after too many men had been injured or killed from accidents. Too many of them with families of their own. Kato had done his best to make sure the monthly supplies those men would've gotten actually went to their families. He hadn't been able to do much to save them, but at least he'd been able to do that. He glanced at the gillick guard who sat boredly in the corner, watching the men work. The only time they moved was to do a quick patrol or to beat someone who looked like they were slacking off. How long was this war going to last? How long would he have to keep working in this place? Death was not an option...his family needed him, but the longer this war lasted the more likely that became.

Kato sighed and returned his attention to the dangerous work of processing the volatile metals and melting them down into fuel for the gillick ships. One man across from him was acting extremely jittery. He kept glancing around as if waiting for something. "Hey, you alright?" Kato asked. The man's head shot towards him. "You should get to the back of the building?" He warned.
"What?" Kato's eyes narrowed.
"Just do it."
Kato wiped his hands and slowly made his way to the back of the factory, glancing over his shoulder at the other man. The guards stood suddenly as the leader of district nine came in for an inspection of the factory with an entourage of guards of his own. The man Kato had been standing beside suddenly pulled a bottle of pure processed fuel from beneath the table. "YOU KILLED OUR FAMILIES! NOW YOU'LL PAY! FOR THE RESISTANCE!" The man screamed throwing the bottle into the furnace. Before Kato could even gasp there was a massive explosion, engulfing the overseer and his guards and half the factory with it. The foundations rocked as a chain reaction of explosions began and the factory burst into flames.
Kato woke in damaged hospital room. He could hear the shuffling of feet in the hallway. Beside him was another man in a mass of bandages with an I.v. drip attached to his arm. Kato looked down at his own arm, finding himself bandaged similarly with an i.v. as well. A young tired woman came into the room, smiling gently as she caught Kato's eye. "Welcome back. Please don't move for the time being. Your burns are still healing. You've also received a mild concussion but it seems to be healing well."
"Where am I? How long have I been here?" Kato asked.
"Elorin Central Hospital. You've were part of the group that survived the factory explosion, so you've been here a little over two days."
"Two days!? Does Anna know!?" Kato exclaimed nearly leaping out of the bed.
"I'm sorry. You had no identification on you when you were brought in. So far you've just been labeled as John Doe 12. I can try and see if someone can alert your family to your survival, but we are extremely short handed here."
Kato slowly sat up and pulled the I.v. from his arm expertly.
"Sir!" She rushed to him.
"I'm alright. Use the supplies on someone else who needs it more. I need to go home. Anna will be worrying." Kato grabbed his clothes and began pulling on his pants, wincing at the tug on his burned arms and face. "Oh, by the way. I'm a doctor and a surgeon. Name's Kato Jones. If the Gillicks will allow me to transfer, I could be of great help here."
The nurse's eyes lit up. "I'll pass on the message to the director. Thankyou."
"Thankyou for taking care of me." Kato nodded to her and limped out of the hospital, worrying for the well-fare of his family.
"Anna?" Kato pushed open the door, looking for her and the children. Were they still alive? Were they safe? "Anna! Jacob, Joseph!" He stopped in his tracks as he caught sight of himself in a cracked mirror hanging on the wall. The right half of his body had been bandaged heavily and his face was covered in a large bandage as well. He didn't remember getting the burns, just trying to pull as many men out as he could before something had hit him on the head. He hadn't even thought to ask about the extent of his injuries. He was going to have to be careful not get an infection.

The day had been long and Killian walked home from the mine. They were supposed to be issued something warmer in the next month. Somehow if they didn't pick up production the Gillicks were going to cut their rations to help pay for their clothing. Burying his mouth in the crook of his arm he coughed a little. So far he wasn't nearly as sick as most of the men in the mine and he was maintaining his pace pretty well. Having to speed up was something else. As their numbers consistently dropped in the mine he had to work harder and do more. It helped to get a little more ration, but it was only just enough to maintain the weight he was currently at.

He had barely come around the bend toward the tent and the half built house when he saw Star step out with her hand held over her eyes as shade. Killian frowned a little when she mentioned the bite. "I'll go check on him." Zack was curled up in one of the blankets and Killian sat down next to the boy. When he looked at the bite on the ankle the Chippeqouti frowned. "Get my pillow please." Soon as he had in in hand he rolled it up and stuffed it underneath Zach's foot. At the very least he could elevate it and see that the swelling went down or at least was prevented. "Cold wash cloth if you have one and then I need a little water and flour." Those were a few easy ingredients and the best he had to work with. First Killian washed the boy's foot with a cool wet rag and then let it rest on Zach's ankle for a few minutes while he stirred up a flour and water paste. It wasn't as good as some options, but perhaps it would be able to draw some of the sting out of the bite. "Now you just hold still. No moving around unless you have to." The less moving the better. It would keep the poison moving slower and perhaps more chance for his body to respond.

Now that he was done with the treatment of the spider bite for now, Killian went back to the small house he was building. All the framing was done and it was hardly more than a one bedroom shack. At least they would all benefit from mutual body heat in the space. Closing in the walls was the current task and even when he had one wall done the wind blew through the cracks and it acted as barely anything more than a wind block. The next best thing that Killian could think of was taking peat moss and stacking it outside the walls so that it acted as a wind break and insulation. If he dug into the dirt some of it was clay and he could use it to pack the seams of the wood.

Right now his main concern was to get the house done before winter. When it was finally time to eat Killian came back to the tent. Coughing a little he took the dish from Star. "Should be ready to start filling in the cracks with clay next week if I can keep the current pace. Lost about 5 more men last week. Have to keep up the production." Noticing the look from Star he shrugged. "They're offering extra rations if we can keep the production up." They could always use more food and he noticed the kids were eating much more slowly these days. It was as if they had learned to savor every little bite that they got.

"You two listen to me." Anna stared both her boys in their eyes. Now that their father had not come home for two nights she couldn't wait much longer. She had to leave them again and this was going to be an extra trip to pick up their supplies. Usually one of them would stay behind, but she didn't have Kato here and if she didn't show up to claim his part then they would get nothing. "If you hear anyone come into the house you hide and stay wherever you've hidden till I come home. It doesn't matter if they know your names or not. I will come find you. Remember that there are a lot of bad people that would hurt you if you come out from hiding." The little woman almost stared the two boys down till the consented to her terms. Once she was assured that her boys would not come racing out to meet the first person to walk through the door she set out to collect the supplies that would be distributed.

A familiar voice sounded in the house, but the boys looked at each other and stayed put. They had learned to listen to their mother with the strictest obedience. Partly for fear of her and the other half for fear of the Gillicks. Both of them found the aliens to be terrifying though Anna constantly reminded them that not all aliens were bad. Since the Gillicks were at war with the Chippeqouti she had told them time and again if both her and Kato were gone for more than a day that they needed to find a Chippeqouti to live with and preferably it would be Killian and Star. So far Uncle Killian was classified as a good alien.

The load of supplies was somewhat less than last time and Anna cursed. She knew it was because of the last two days in which she had heard nothing about Kato. Just that the factory blew up. These were supplies that she anticipated she would be dividing into careful little packs and preparing to make a run with the boys. She could survive by herself, but the boys would not survive all day everyday without her. So they would be running. Perhaps she would find a man that was lonely. That was another option.

Almost as soon as she stepped through the door Anna could feel that there was a presence in the house. Someone else had come in and they smelled heavily of strange ointments. Silently setting the bag aside as she came through the house she exchanged it for a long piece of piping that she kept near the doorway. If they were anywhere near the children she was going to kill them. Barely stepping around the corner she saw a good sized figured and it was digging through the house frantically. The bandaging on the arm and up the one side of the face meant they were out of work and desperate. "You bastard!" Swinging her metal pipe she slammed the figure in the ribs and quickly advanced dealing another blow. "I might be here alone, but you have no right to steal what doesn't belong." Raising the pipe again she was about to give the death blow to the head when she saw the face turn towards her.

Kato yelped as the pipe hit his ribs and then another hit his burnt arm. He dropped to knees, raising a hand and looking up into the angry face of Anna. "Anna! Anna! Its me." He waved a hand in front of him to stave off another blow.
The pipe dropped to the floor in a clatter and Anna stared at him for a long moment. "Kato!" For a moment she stared at him and then she dropped to her knees next to him. "What happened to you?" He looked horrible and she couldn't say that she would have stopped except that his voice as familiar. Kato didn't even quite look like himself at this point.
Kato wrapped his arms around her. "A resistance fighter blew up the factory. I got knocked out trying to save people from the fire and didn't wake up till just a little while ago in the hospital. I'm so sorry to worry you and boys." He pulled away and looked at her worriedly. "Where are Jacob and Joseph? Are they ok?"
The little woman was still in shock as he pulled her into a hug and Anna blinked when he pulled away from her. She hesitated for a moment and then nodded to doorway. "I hid them in the house. Told them not to come out for anyone except me. They weren't supposed to come out till I came back to get them." Finally it began to sink in what she had done. Her eyes started to get a little watery and she leaned in to kiss him. "Go lay down and relax. I'll get the boys and start dinner."

Kato nodded and stood with the help of a nearby cabinet. He was still hunched slightly from the painful blow to his ribs. On one hand he was glad she were able to defend herself like that, on the other he was pained that she'd had to. If he'd been anyone else, she would've been forced to fight off an intruder all by herself, and the thought made him sick to his stomach.
Kato didn't want to just leave and hide in the bedroom so he chose to sit on the couch instead where he could see her and the boys when they came back. It scared him to think what might happen to them if he were killed. Kato grinned as the boys came rushing in, yelling excitedly as they saw him. "Jacob, Joseph!" Kato hugged them tightly, not caring about the pain from the burns. He was just grateful to hold his family in his arms.

Quietly Anna resumed her wifely duties and started to open a can of meat. It wasn't entirely nasty though she had to admit that she preferred having it fresh. On the side there were some canned green beans and then a few Matzo bread crackers to pour the meat and the juices over. It was more like a soggy Matzo with meat and beans. Still it was about all the better they could get. Setting it over the fire she warmed the crackers and meat with the beans before sprinkling cheese over it. "Food is ready in about 2 minutes. Now hurry all my men, big and little."
Kato joined them at the table, taking Anna's hand as he sat beside her, looking at her worriedly. "Are you alright?" He couldn't imagine she was after him being gone for two days, but somehow she was acting as if nothing happened. Trying to be strong for the boys? For him? He didn't want her to have to be.
It seemed that they were barely seated and Kato was grabbing her hand. At first she narrowed her gaze and then she smirked. "I hardly think you should be the one asking that question of me. You're the one with bandages all over your face and arm. How about you? How are you doing?"
"I'm alive, and I'm home with my family." He smiles at her gently, his eyes searching hers. "But I wasn't the one wondering if my partner in life was ever coming back. If you need to be upset with me for being gone the last two days thats ok. I don't want you to feel like you have to pretend everything is fine if its not."
Anna stared at Kato and tilted her head. "Now isn't the time. We have little ears here."

Kato nodded, looking back at the boys busily pushing food into their mouths. They were so precious to him. More than anything else in this world, he just wanted to see them happy. See them all happy.
After the food eaten and Kato had done the dishes, he found a quiet moment alone with her, away from the boys. Like had been so busy and stressful they hadn't had much alone time the last three months, and he missed her. But more than that, he worried she was hiding her thoughts and feelings from him again so as not to burden him. That was the last thing he wanted her to do. He stood next to her patiently, not wanting to prod but wanting to hear was really going on in her mind. "Ok, we're alone. You going to tell me how you're really doing now?"
Kato nodded, looking back at the boys busily pushing food into their mouths. They were so precious to him. More than anything else in this world, he just wanted to see them happy. See them all happy.
After the food eaten and Kato had done the dishes, he found a quiet moment alone with her, away from the boys. Like had been so busy and stressful they hadn't had much alone time the last three months, and he missed her. But more than that, he worried she was hiding her thoughts and feelings from him again so as not to burden him. That was the last thing he wanted her to do. He stood next to her patiently, not wanting to prod but wanting to hear was really going on in her mind. "Ok, we're alone. You going to tell me how you're really doing now?"
It seemed there was no escaping this question and Anna stared at Kato for a long moment now that he had her to himself. "I'm tired, I do my best to take care of the boys and there isn't a single thing I wouldn't do for them." Letting out a long breath she shrugged. "Is that what you wanted to hear? Or did you want me to say that I missed you and I was worried sick? What do you want Kato?"
"You. I just want you. Not any strong mask you have to put on for the boys, or feel like you have to put on around me. If you're tired, I want to know. If you're hurting, frightened, worried...I need to know so I can do whatever I can to support you." Kato reached out a hand to put on her arm. "I love you, Anna. I don't want you to ever feel like you have to put up a facade around me."

A chortle sounded as she rolled her eyes. "You should know. I just told you I'm tired. Am I worried? Of course. Everyday has different problems. How do I keep our food supply hidden, how do I find little things to help us get ahead, where do I put the boys? Kato you have me and stop worrying about the rest. It is just part of our lives for now."
"It shouldn't be." He sighed lightly. Telling him not to worry did not help much. "Be careful when you go out, Anna. After this attack by the resistance, there's no telling what the gillicks will do to people wandering around now."
"There are a lot of things that shouldn't be." Anna sat down on the edge of the mattress. "I'm careful as I can be. Still keep curfew and all that. You do your job and I'll do what I can on my side of things." Gently pushing on the good side of his head she smiled. "Now go to sleep."

Kato smiled gently at her laying on his back as close to her as possible. He felt so guilty about not being there for her and the boys for two days. He'd expected her to at the least be upset with him, but she seemed to be holding it together well. Better than he would have if she disappeared for two days. She had to be strong, for the boys for the family. He just didn't want her to become so strong she forsook her own needs to the point where she later crashed and burned or fell into a deep depression. He knew full well that pain.

Kato rolled onto his good side, facing Anna as she lay next to him. In his mind a letter was written and when he got up the next morning, it was sitting on her bedside with a small boquet of wild flowers that he'd managed to find.
Anna,
I love you. You have been incredibly strong throughout this entire thing. Your strength has been my support, your courage my inspiration. I adore you, Anna and I know the sacrifices you have made to take care of this family. Thankyou. When this is all over, I promise to take you somewhere beautiful and peaceful. ~Love, Kato.

Kato did his best to take care of the boys that morning while he tried to let Anna sleep in. It was the first time in a long time he'd been able to do that. And while he appreciated the break, he also worried about how he was going to support them now that the factory had been pretty much destroyed. A heavy knock at the door brought him to his feet and he opened it cautiously to the faces of a stern gillick. "Prisoner 318, Kato Jones?" The gillick questioned, looking down at piece of paper.
"Yes?" Kato swallowed.
"You are being transferred to the hospital unit do to your apparent expertise in medical practices. You'll report there tomorrow morning at sunrise and work 6 days a week till nightfall. Understood?" He handed the doctor papers with his new position.
Kato nodded, taking the papers, relief and hope rising in his heart. "Yes, Sir. Thankyou..." The gillick grunted in disgust and turned away. He closed the door and turned back to children who were wrestling on the floor. Things were starting to look up a little, he hoped.
Star frowned slightly as Killian coughed off and on. She wished there was something more she could to do help him. Anything. "The kids and I can fill the holes with clay. You've done your part on the house and you need your rest." She put a gentle hand on his stiff neck, massaging it best she could. "I need you to stay well." She suddenly had a thought. "Killian, let me go to the mines tomorrow. I know how to handle a pickaxe and you need rest. We can take turns. Give you a chance to get some sunlight and fresh air and work on the house."
While he was sitting Killian felt Star begin to massage his neck. He knew she needed him to stay well and he was doing his best. The next set of words that came out of her mouth about sent him bolting. "No!" Turning to look at her face his eyes were slightly narrowed. "They're pushing harder than ever for quotas. This isn't the time for you to do something like that. I can pick up some of the extra slack and we'll get better blankets and clothing for the winter."
"Killian, you are working yourself to death. I can handle it. If we both take turns, we'll each have time to rest and continue filling the quota. Its the best way, and you know it. Don't forget I have chippequoti blood too."
"I'm not even close to being worked to death." Huffing a little he looked away from her again. "Just a few more weeks till we get the winter gear. We need the pace and I know you can't keep the same pace I do. Right now we need the best we can get and then in the winter months it should slow down. They are going to shorten our hours." Killian didn't want to put Star in there. He couldn't see the reason to put her in the mine if she didn't have to go. "Besides the Chippeqouti blood is only about half. You won't have the same endurance."
"You won't either if you get the same cough as the other men. You've got a slight one already." Star's forehead was knit together. "I'm worried about you Killian. Even if I just work two days out of the other 6 we would still fill a significant amount of the quota and you could get some much needed rest before this cough turns into something worse." She dropped her hand onto his hand. "Let me help you."

Star was working her way into his line of sight and Killian knew it was impossible to hide the cough. He'd been doing his best to keep it quiet for a few days. It had started to come out though. "There's only 2 weeks left in the month. How about you let me finish the third one and you take two days on the last week?" They could maybe compromise and he wasn't entirely opposed to the idea of having a little time with the kids and some rest.
Star sighed and nodded. "Fine. But if you feel yourself seriously declining before then let me help take over some of the days sooner. I can't lose you."
"Huh..." Killian smirked at her. "Just cause you saw me get sick a few times doesn't mean I fall apart every single time." True he almost never got sick. In the three years that he had lived with her on the planet in peace he didn't even get so much as a sniffle. That was most of life until he got injured or poisoned. "You'd be able to tell anyway. I can't lie for shit."

Star laughed. "That's the truth. I love that about you." She kissed him gently and stroked his cheek with a tender hand. "Let's get some rest. I'll work on the house tomorrow."

After Killian had left the next morning and while the children still slept, Star went to the small creek that flowed through the forest in their sector and began gathering as much mud as she could in the bucket and carried it back to the house they were building. She went to work insulating the walls with mud mixed with grass and weeds so that Killian wouldn't have to do it when he got back. He needed as much rest as he could get. When Claire and Mikey got up, they were more than happy to play in the mud and help spread it over every inch of the walls. Star couldn't help but laugh at the way the children made the best out of every situation.

Star looked over at Lucy who was digging at the ground nearby in a fury. She stopped and watched the dog for a moment wondering what in the world had gotten into her. The dog growled and barked, bouncing around the hole it was digging like it was on the hunt. A few minutes later she snatched up the creature she'd been hunting, a little ground mole and happily trotted away with her feast. Star smirked and momentarily she wondered how mole meat tasted. To a starving dog it must have been heaven.

She and the children continued to gather mud and spread it for it for the rest of the day. An hour before nightfall they washed off in the creek and Star checked on Zach who was still doing poorly. "C'mon, Kid. You're stronger than a spider bite." She murmured, kissing him on the forehead and laying down another cool cloth on his hot skin. Star's mind wandered as she took care of him then went to cook a meager meal for dinner. What if next week it was Killian laying there, too sick to move, dying from the mining cough. The thought terrified her. She wished he'd let her help him sooner but he was stubborn. Something about the mines terrified him enough that he was willing to work himself to death rather than let her go down there. That alone was enough to worry her.

Anna kept the note from Kato and she put it in her kitchen. It wasn't a particularly long note, but then again the scrap of paper wasn't real long either. The woman smiled as she glanced at it before she hid the boys and started out for her spot again. "Now you two stay in here. I will be back in a little bit." She couldn't just sit here and let this life go on and on. This time she was going to complete her plans and she wouldn't involve anyone that she didn't have to. Last time it would have helped to include a few others. However, including Kato and her family would in this event create more danger. He was already a worried mess and as much as he claimed that he could handle this sort of thing she doubted it. When she was shot he didn't handle it so well.

Not that anyone took their fiancee getting shot lightly, but she had hoped he would understand her better. It was best not to tell him when she got involved in these things. He didn't understand that arguing for her best interest wasn't what she had in mind. This was a collective good and someone had to be willing to make the move. Potentially it could mean she would die, but they took that chance living her everyday and this wasn't any kind of life to live.

Stepping into the rickety house she grabbed the pad and dialed the communication center where she was then connected with the tall blonde woman from the games. The one that they had rescued was a queen and a delegate to the Gillicks. They made one very serious mistake in taking this woman's ship and making her a captive. While they had originally agreed to be allies with the Gillicks they were now working on anti Gillick measures and she was a little more interested in the plights and efforts of the humans. Specifically she wanted to arm them to be sure that the Gillicks wouldn't advance to her part of the galaxy. "Yes your majesty." Anna nodded. "I have the ability to get closer to the Gillicks. Curfew has yet to be broken and I believe in a few weeks time I could easily steal the hard drive from one of their machines." It seemed that they had a deal and Anna grinned. "If you can provide a few little helpful goods, I need shoes and clothing for my children. If you need their measurements I will get them to you by tomorrow and I'll meet your men at the border of my sector."

The queen had begun a slow implant of her soldiers on the planet and they were being captured and put into the different sectors to replace the humans. So far the Gillicks had not quite caught onto the plan and Anna hoped that they didn't notice this missing population from the planet wasn't an uncharted city, but rather a spawning point for the new resistance. One that would afford them their freedom.

As the weeks went by she left the house more and more during the day. Anna was starting to get a little worried that the Gillicks would take note. They were a bit different in their approach of punishment. Sometimes they liked to let a person think that they were getting away with things. If it wasn't them she was still afraid that the boys would talk to Kato about her absence. Jacob was certainly old enough to say it. She had less reason to leave the house and scour the remains. Kato's skill had awarded them far better coats and food rations than they had been supplied with before. In fact it was enough that her boys were no longer hungry between meals and Kato seemed to be getting some good color to his face besides the healing burns.

******************************************************************************************

By the second week Killian was even more exhausted. He was almost glad that he didn't have to go back to the mines today. While she was gone he coughed all the while he made breakfast or walked around outside to finish mudding the house. One way to ensure that the house stayed warmer was to make it a soddy. Cutting out portions of the ground and top soil Killian laid it over the roof and made a gradual wood ramp off the sides of the house so that it created shelters. One side could be for the dog and the other side he could store supplies for work in them. The back wall of the house was part of the hill and it worked as some automatic heat and cooling.

Ground temperatures were far more moderate and he wanted it to stay that way as much as possible. The final touch on the second day of work here at the house was the little fire pit and then he took the tent down and hung it on the inside of the house so that it acted as an extra barrier against the wind. It might have looked somewhat trashy, but he wanted it to be warm.

The second day he had off had butted right up to his usual day off in the week so it was like having 3 days off and that was enough time to still rest. Before Star got home he started a fire and moved the kids into the little soddy house. It was much warmer than the tent and he bundled Zach a little tighter in the blanket and put him closer to the fire. The boy hadn't seemed to improve much. He didn't have quite as many fevers and even if it could be considered a good sign it made Killian nervous. Zach seemed to be getting weaker all the time. Maybe his fever was done because his body didn't have anything left to fight with. That night Killian made a simple dinner, but he shorted himself to give extra to Zach. If the boy was going to survive he would need all the extra food he could get.

When Star took Killian's place the Gillicks jeered, but one stood quietly behind her and studied as she worked. During a short break for water the bottle passed from each man and then to her. "Drink. Its all you get." The Gillicks knew very well this was why it was passing among their miners. Still there wasn't any point in wasting time with each of them having their own bottle. "Now get back to work beast tamer." He knew exactly who she was and who Killian was.

"I've always wondered what could tame a wild Chip heart. They are an unruly people and now..." Smiling the Gillick leaned a bit closer while she picked up the minerals and he could smell the blood on her hands. "I could make sure your Chip gets medicine. You could work for me. I would give you better supplies and rations if you came to me at the end of the shift." Taking one of her hands the disfigured creature grabbed one of her hands and kissed the back of it before it looked deep into her eyes. "We know what mines do to the Chips and I think you've already noticed the cough. It doesn't get better. Even if you won't have me now I know you will when he hear him almost choking for air every night. You can't work here enough to save him."

As her shift ended he almost chuckled. In time she would come to him. The Gillick was sure of that. He had already made the same deal with several women and the medicine didn't seem to do much good for humans. However, he imagined since it was all made of herbs that it would do marvelous for a Chippeqouti.

**********************************************************************************

Star seemed especially uneasy after her two days in the mines. Killian frowned a little and served a platter of food for her. "What do you think of the house?" Eventually he knew that she would get around to telling him what was bothering her. For the time they could try to focus on the highlight that they were no longer living in a tent.

"Dr. Jones, if you could come with me. I have something we need to talk about." Dr. Suresh a much older doctor, took Kato to a private office and sat wearily in his chair.
"After many negotiations with the Gillicks we've managed to get them to agree to send one of our doctors out to the other sectors that don't have doctors. I'm too old to do such a thing and Dr. Terry is too inexperienced. We were hoping you would be willing to take on the role."
Kato looked at the head doctor in surprise. "Me? Uh, what would that entail?"
"A few days of travel at a time. Maybe a week...depending on the needs of the sector and how far away it is. But it'll bring in more rations for your family and your pick of supplies for winter."
Kato nodded. "Can I have time to think about it?"
"You can have two days. But there are people dying in other sectors right now for lack of doctors. I hope you'll say yes."
Kato stood and shook Dr. Suresh's hand. "I'll let you know as soon as I can.

When Kato returned home that night the boys tackled him happily. He was glad to see them regaining weight and that they didn't complain about being hungry anymore. "Hey, what did you boys do today?"
"We played hide and seek. We always play hide and seek. Can you stay home tomorrow so we can do something different?" Jacob pleaded.
"Why don't you just tell mommy you want to play a different game?" Kato questioned with a small laugh.
"She always makes us play it. We have to hide and we can't come out until she comes looking for us. Its boring!"
"Yeah! Boring!" Joseph added.
Kato raised a slight eyebrow. He'd have to ask Anna about that later. Right now there was something more pertinent on his mind. He found Anna in the kitchen and put a gentle hand on her back. "Anna, I have something I need to talk with you about."
The grin still on her face Anna turned toward Kato. "What is it?" She couldn't help herself from thinking naughty. "You wanna get low down and dirty tonight?" Her chuckling was shortened some when she saw that he looked quite serious. "Hmm....So I'm guessing its something else."
"Yes." Kato nodded, taking her hand. "The hospital is asking that a join a traveling medical team that will go to other sectors without doctors. It would mean more rations and my pick of supplies every month, but it also means I could be gone anywhere from 3 days to a week at a time."
"Yes." Kato nodded, taking her hand. "The hospital is asking that a join a traveling medical team that will go to other sectors without doctors. It would mean more rations and my pick of supplies everymonth, but it also means i could be gone anywhere from 3 days to a week at a time."
Inwardly Anna let out a long breath. This was by far better than what she had anticipated. "That's fine. Do what you need to for us. Our boys would love to have more food as always. They're gonna turn into little gluts after all this. Learn to eat a lot when its there."
Kato had to chuckle at that, but then he got serious again. "Are you certain? I hate the thought of leaving you and the boys alone for so many days at a time." Kato questioned.
Anna nodded. "I'm sure." Playfully she reached up and poked him in the nose. "You don't think that I'm a completely helpless little woman do you?" Tracing a finger down the good side of his face she let it trail to his chest and smiled. "Ooh Doctor Jones you've got a very capable woman for a wife."

"I am well aware you are fully capable of taking care of yourself. Still doesn't mean I want you to have too." He smiled at her gently then breathed a sigh. "Alright, I'll let them know I accept." He pulled her closer to himself. "I love you...and...I wouldn't mind getting down and dirty tonight with my very capable wife." He chuckled.

************************************************************************************

Star got alot of looks and laughs when she entered the mines that first day. She knew what she was capable of...they didn't. Somehow they found her taking Killian's place comical. Maybe it was, but if it meant getting Killian out of the mines and giving him a chance to heal it was worth it. She worked harder than she had ever worked in life for the next several hours. She had to keep up with Killian's pace and make his quota for the family. By the time they were allowed a break, she was covered in sweat and her hands covered in cuts from the sharp stones. It killed her to think that he'd been stuck in a place like this, day after day, doing this work. She knew he hated the underground, this much have been torture for him.

The bottle of water was finally passed her way. Star grimaced at how unsanitary it was, but she was too thirsty to protest. When she handed it back the gillick that had been watching her closely called her beast tamer. Her heart seemed to rise to her throat as he grinned hungrily at her. The hair on the back of her neck began to rise as he talked to her about Killian. She got nauseous as he grabbed her hand and kissed it. She wanted to kick him between the legs but that wouldn't have been wise. She pulled her hand away with a look of disgust and returned to work trying to ignore the solicitious invitation to sleep with him in exchange for medicine for Killian.

She'd been down that road before. It wasn't happening again. The rest of time mining was extremely uncomfortable as the gillick continued to leer at her and make comments that sent shivers up her spine.

The next day the same gillick waited for her. He watched her and continued to make increasingly suggestive comments, even at times groping at her when she didn't have a sharp price of rock in her hands. The red on her face from the exertion of mining hid the flush that came from some of his comments. She glared at the stones. She would've loved to have Killian year out his throat. He might of she told him, but she couldn't stand the thought of him getting killed for something as stupid as a foul mouthed gillick.

When she came home that night she was tempted to tell him what happened with the gillick but again she was concerned he'd end up killing the gillick and getting himself killed as well. So she put on a brave face and nodded and smiled at Killian as he asked if she liked the house. "It's fantastic Killian. We'll be nice and warm in here." She have him a gentle kiss. "How are you feeling? The cough any better?"
There was still nothing like kissing Star. Killian smirked. "Think I'm doing a little better." He hadn't coughed quite as much, but he wasn't working quite as hard today either. "Zach is still pretty sick. Suppose in a few days when they distribute rations that we could leave him here at the house?"
Star frowned slightly. "I hate the thought of leaving him alone, but...i suppose we have no choice." She shook her head, rubbing her wounded hands. "This has to end soon..."
"I know it'll end in time." Killian took a deep breath only to cut short and cough. "Dust bunny." That was perhaps the excuse for now and he met Star's gaze for the moment. "We'll think of something and until then let's make the most of this that we can."
Star's heart clenched at the painful cough. If Killian's life was on the line, she wouldn't hesitate to do whatever was necessary to save him. Another reason she wouldnt tell him about the gillick. "Yeah. We'll get through this." She smiled. "Whatever it takes."

Back