Smugglers Cove (Love2write and Silence)

With the winter now here Anna noticed that Kato was gone more. There must have been a lot of sickness in the different sectors if Kato had to be gone soo much. The boys had started to complain to her about the game and Anna finally gave up and just told them to stay in the house. If they were complaining to her then it wasn't going to be a good thing down the road. A few more soldiers had come to the border and she needed to be outside to ensure that the path was clear. "I'm going out to check ruins again. You two stay in here."

Anna set foot outside the door and she walked along the edge where they would be appearing today before she went to the house and sent her message. "All clear to make the drop." They had to be getting ready to make the move soon. When she finished Anna picked around in the house for a long while. Everything felt long in the cold though and she stamped her feet while rubbing her hands. Even with the gloves that Kato had gotten for her she was feeling the cold. Finally it had been long enough and she started out along the streets to head home. Part way there she slipped on the street and her heels went up in the air and she hit her head on the cement. Everything spun for a few moments and she tried to sit up only to fall back again.

A gradual pool of blood began to form around her head and she tried to stay awake. Instead her short blonde hair stuck to the broken ground and froze. At least in the cold her head didn't bleed quite so much as it would have if she had been out in the sun. Darkness began to fall and Anna didn't wake till she felt a rough pair of hands pull at her. "Ugh...Help me to my house."

Most of her felt numb and instead of taking her home she found herself in a miserable hospital ward with doctors all over the place. Most of them were treating other patients and Anna groaned slightly. "I need Doctor Jones. You know that good looking guy." None of them seemed to know or care what she was talking about and Anna tried to push herself up into a sitting position. "Let me go home." One of the nurses kindly came up to her and said that they were going to have to keep her in the bed overnight because she had a concussion. "Well he's supposed to come home tonight and I don't need to be here." Obviously they didn't know that Kato was her husband and perhaps he hadn't told them that he was for good reason. Finally she settled back into the bed and sighed. "Alright, but I'm leaving as soon as you let me in the morning."

With the passing months it grew colder and Killian's cough got worse. Star was working at least 1 day every week for him so he could try and get some rest. He didn't want her to get the same cough. It wasn't good for anyone and while he held it off longer he wasn't so sure how long she would be able to keep it away. She had some Chippeqouti blood and that helped. Still there was a concern of what the children would do if both of them got sick. It was Killian's morning to work again and he got up for the beginning of his week. Slipping the coat on he started out the door.

Inside the mine he stripped his coat off and dropped it into his box before heading for his work station. The one Gillick always watched him as if it was waiting for him to drop and he hated it. Swinging the pick ax and chipping the rock deep in the mine he watched the minerals crumble from the wall and hit the ground. Finally after he had a good bit he leaned over to pick them up. Killian had started to cough consistently for most of the day and he slowed down quite a bit because of it. Many of the other men were far sicker and he still managed to keep better production than the others. As he pushed his cart to the front of the mine the Gillick came up behind him and hissed in his ear. "Your tamer is at producing than you are these days. She's much smoother and her hips...Mmm."

Eyes snapping to where the Gillick was Killian loosed his hold on the cart and gave the creature a good sharp hit. "She's my wife, not some toy for you to stare at." Almost immediately he felt the sting of the electric prods and then the heavy blows of several clubs. They acted as if they had to subdue him and Killian curled against the beating. It was mostly minor, but he didn't bother to try killing the Gillick. Killing one of them would only make it worse. Hopefully it was enough that this thing would leave his wife and himself alone. Heading home he coughed almost the entire way and he felt sick. Killian practically drug himself through the door and he heard the excited cheers of the kids. They wanted to play like usual so he set out the stones and helped them arrange them to play checkers. "Claire you move that guy." He didn't tell her the move she should make, but he would tell the kids which one to move so it made all things fair.

While the kids were busy playing he ate what Star served onto a plate and then went to their bed. Lately the cough had gotten bad enough that he could barely get through the night without waking from a coughing fit. Over the course of the week it got worse and then he had his two days off. Still he coughed most of the night. Star wanted to take his first shift and Killian shook his head. "I'll be fine in the morning. Just need a little more sleep."

During the night he tossed and turned as he coughed and at one point he started to wheeze between coughs in his attempt to get air. Pulling himself out of the bed he shook his head at Star. "You can't go back into the mines. One of the Gillicks...." Coughing into his arm he shook his head a little and started for the door. All the way to the mines he coughed until he had to stop part way and he stood still for a moment while he tried to catch his breath.

A dirty faced woman came to the door and she knocked while waiting for Star to answer. She glanced about the place. This home was nice compared to some. Not quite fancy, but she could feel it was warm. That amounted for much more than many thought.

"How do I know you have medicine that'll work?" Star questioned.

The woman shrugged. "It is the only medicine the Gillicks give for the cough. My husband died and many others have. I've traded what I had left of food for all the other medicine from the other women. Your husband is different. He's a Chippeqouti and wouldn't you be willing to try it? Obviously whatever you're doing isn't enough. Won't be long before he starts to cough blood. Mine choked on his own blood in the end and perhaps that was as peaceful as it could get."

"I'm so sorry." Star frowned at her sympathetically. There was barely enough food for her, Killian and the children...but if it meant saving his life. Star took a step back so she could enter and extended a hand. "I'm Star."

"My name is Mary." The woman took Star's hand and shook it. Handing Star one of the bottle she nodded to her. "You give him two drops under the tongue in the morning and at night. Maybe 3 since he's bigger. Just start with this bottle and see how it works for him." She didn't want to give it all up just now. Mary wanted to ensure that this woman would hold her end of the deal up.

Star took the bottle in her scarred hands, closing the door behind Mary. She didn't have much hope that it would work, but anything was better than nothing. Three little faces huddled around a black labrador and a fire pit stared up at Mary. "Mary, this is my family. Zach, Claire and Mikey. My husband is Killian. We don't have much food or space, but we'll do what we can for you. Kids, this is Mary. She'll be staying with us for a while, so...be nice."

The woman glanced around at the children and she smiled. "Shouldn't be long before he comes home then." She didn't much care for children, but this arrangement would be helpful if it kept her alive and so she would bear with whatever life threw her way.

Killian came home about an hour later and the coughing heralded his arrival. At least Star had managed to help the children understand he needed a few minutes of rest before he played any kind of game with them. Tonight he wasn't even sure he could accomplish that much. "I uh..." Coughing more he looked up and saw the strange woman. "Wha... Star what is she doing here?"

"Killian, this is Mary. She has medicine that may help you. She's given it to us in exchange for staying with us for a while." Star put a gentle hand on his shoulder and showed him the bottle.

Seemed that whatever the deal was it had already been made. "You might have talked to me about it." Grumbling he limped his way over to a place near the fire and hacked and coughed a little more while he tried to warm up. Not that he would have done any different. He was starting to get sick enough that he would gladly exchange a few morsels of food if he could just get to the point that he could breath easily again.

Star already had hot compresses for his chest ready and she handed him the drops. "Put 3 or 4 drops under your tongue 3 times a day." She pulled out the damp hot cloth she'd heated over the fire and put it on his chest as he lay down to rest. "No playing with daddy tonight kids." She ushered them to the other end of the room and began serving up dinner. It was painful watching Killian slowly waste away. She hoped the drops would help him recover. It was their last hope. She passed a plate to Mary. "Sorry about your husband. Do you have any other family?"

Laying down on the floor Killian let Star put the cloth on his chest. Sometimes it made the cough a little better. While he laid on the floor he opened the bottle and took a few drops. Mary watched the Chip take it. Somehow she had always thought that they were horrible and rumor had it this one was the beast. He hardly seemed to be that kind of man. In fact he was quite mild in many ways. It may have been part of the fact that he was sick too. Looking to Star she shrugged. "None that survived the bombing. We were it. My sister and her family were blown to bits I imagine or maybe they were put in different compound housing. Never saw your family or yourself till I started to look around for someone to take the medicine."

"We tend to keep to ourselves." Star responded to Mary's comment. It seemed safer that way. She stroked Killian's hair tenderly, that ever present look of worry on her face. He was getting worse everyday. She was terrified that at anytime he would stop breathing. She was going to have to be more firm with him about going in his stead. The other Gillick didn't matter. She could deal with him but she couldn't deal with Killian dying.
The next morning Star got up before Killian. She took his pickax and replaced it with a simple note. "My turn. Love you." Star wrapped her coat more tightly about her and adjusted her gloves. At least the mines were warm here and the new gloves helped her not cut her hands on the stones anymore. That same gillick, whose name she learned was Yazat, sneered as she came in. "How's the husband? He coughing up blood yet?"
She ignored him and put her coat in Killian's box, taking the axe with her to the spot Killian normally worked. The gillick came up right behind her, his breath on her neck. "You wait much longer to take up my offer and he'll die before he can get medicine."
"He'd rather die then let me be with someone like you." She growled, getting to work.
"Oh?" Yazat laughed. "Who owns who now? Maybe you want him dead so you can be with a real man."
Star gritted her teeth, turning her frustration into energy as she mined.
Every time she was here it was like this. But for Killian, for his health, it was worth it. They'd been through hell and back so many times. She could survive this easily. There was hope as long as they worked together. Her mouth had dried by the time the water break came. As usual the bottle was shared among all workers. Again she grimaced having to drink from the same bottle but there was no other choice. As she handed it back, Yazat grabbed the back of her head forcing her into the tight kiss. She nearly panicked and just managed to shove him away and some of the other gillicks laughed at her expression, while another looked disgusted.
"Aw, c'mon. I can make life so much more bearable for you." Yazat grinned. Star spit at his feet in response and picked up the pick axe again, breathing heavily. "Touch me again, and this will go through your chest."
"Oh! You're threatening me now?" Yazat growled, approaching her. "You're just a little pet. I could kill you anytime I wanted. I could kill your husband any time I wanted."
Star took a step back, her head lowering slightly, though her grip on the axe tightened.
"No response? Good...learn your place, pet." He growled at her.
"Stop gawking and get back to work." Another Gillick yelled, swinging his club.
Star hefted up the axe, tears threatening to fall. She blinked them away quickly and tried to re-concentrate on filling the day's quota.

************************************************************************************************

There were too many people getting sick. Kato was constantly on the road, giving out immune boosters, supplements, immunization shots, anti-biotics and more. It was painful not being around his family. He missed his children, his wife, his home. Instead he was accompanied by two gillick guards wherever he went, and his bed was whatever cot the current hospital or clinic could spare. The mining sector especially was filled with men coming down with miner's cough. He'd been studying it and trying various medicinal mixes to create an medicine to save the remaining miners. He'd gone back two weeks later to check on his test group of five miners too see if it was working. To his joy, four out of the five men showed signs of improvement while the fifth had some sort of reaction to the mix of chemicals and had to stop taking it.

Four out of five was good enough to start with. Kato went to work mixing up enough vials to give all the miners the medicine that could save their lives. It took over a month to get enough supplies and make enough vials but now he was returning with the box of lifesaving vials. The only problem would be getting it to the miners, or getting the miners to him. He requested a meeting with the overseer of this sector and made his proposal to heal the miners who would then work better for him and stop dying. If the overseer wanted to keep his quota up for his superiors, he'd have to agree to let Kato treat them.
************************************************************************************************
Star was putting on her coat at the end of her shift when Yazat grabbed her from behind. She yelped and turned around to hit him, but he grabbed her arm, twisting it painfully. His hot breath teased her ear, and she could hear him chuckling. "Let's go to my quarters where we can have more privacy, hmm?" He held her arm in an iron grip, dragging her with him. She was shoved into a small, dimly lit room and the gillick advanced, already removing his shirt. Star went into fight mode, looking for anything she could use as a weapon. This gillick was not taking her. She looked in his drawers, finding nothing. Yazat grabbed for her and she ducked beneath his grab, rolling over the bed to the other side. She spotted a large mirror on the back wall. She could use that. Yazat rounded the bed and Star picked up a chair, throwing it at him. As he ducked she skirted around him, grabbing the mirror and yanking it off the wall. Yazat grabbed her around the waist as it fell, smashing to dozens of pieces on the ground.

Star screamed and kicked, throwing her head back and hitting the Gillick square in the nose. He growled, throwing her on the bed. She rolled off before he could pin her down and hit the ground on the other side. "If you keep resisting, I'll break your legs. Then I'll kill your husband." He growled. Star glared at him and charged him, knocking him into the back wall and onto the glass from the mirror she'd broken. He yelled and she grabbed a piece in each hand, stabbing at him.

The gillick back handed her, throwing her into the bed and scrambling for her. He grabbed the front of her shirt, tearing it while she cut into his hand and arm. "I"M GOING TO KILL YOU!" He screamed at her.
"Me first!" Star kicked him between the legs hard. As he doubled over she brought the glass shard down into the meaty part of his shoulder. He screamed and fell over. She lept to her feet, the other shard of glass still in her hand. She could kill him right now, so easily, but if she did, there was no telling what hell would rain down on her and her family. Right now, her best option was escaping. She dropped the glass and raced out of the room and didn’t stop running till she got home.
Kato yawned as he walked up the steps to his home. He smiled at the thought of holding Anna and the boys in his arms. He'd missed them. As he entered the house though, he didn't hear the happy welcomes by his children. First there was just silence, then as he listened closer he heard the stifled sons of children coming from upstairs. "Jacob? Joseph? Anna?" Kato rushed upstairs. He pulled open the closet he heard the crowd coming from and was met by the boys red faces covered in tears. They cried about being hungry and that mom was gone. Kato nearly panicked. Anna was gone? Where had she gone that was so important she'd leave the boys home alone?

Kato fed the children, but was too worried to eat himself. He stayed up all night waiting for to come back but she didn't. He was terrified that something horrible had happened. Early morning, as the sun began to rise, he gathered the boys, feeding them a quick cold breakfast then bundling them up as he headed to the hospital. If she wasnt there...well, she just had to be.

"Terry! Have you seen my wife? Small woman, blonde hair, named Anna?" Kato questioned. Terry shook his head. Kato preceded to ask the nurses. Each one shook their head until one said, "there was a woman like that brought in last night. Claimed she was married to doctor Jones."
"That's her!" Kato exclaimed. "Where is she?"
"2nd floor, rm 23." Nano replied.
"Thankyou!" Kato exclaimed rushing up to the second floor, the children in tow. He found the room and Anna sleeping within. "Anna!" Kato grabbed her hand, the boys standing at the end of the bed.

Last edited:
Killian kept his gaze steady on Star for several moments. She was always hovering over him lately and it was upsetting for her to be worried like this constantly. "I can still get the damn bottle to my mouth. I'll be fine." Grumbling was about the only thing he had energy for at this point. Somehow he had managed to fall asleep before he ate dinner and Star woke him up to eat a little food. The coughing was starting to hurt and Killian winced with every hack. When he finished eating he half crawled to the bed and flopped down next to Star.

Early the next morning Killian woke with the bell and he started to slowly move to get up and instead he found a note from Star. Growling a little he laid back down in the bed and he almost went back to sleep except that Mary shoved a little bottle toward him. "You need to take this for the cough."

Taking the bottle he put the 3 drops under his tongue and continued to cough throughout the day. Mary had put a blanket near the fire and she waited for it to warm before she put it over him to keep Killian from shivering and then she made him tea. The woman wanted to ensure that he would be far more lively than when she came. There was every incentive to be sure that he would improve and then of course she did need some way to pay for the food that and shelter besides the medicine. Before Star came back she was fixing a dinner. It seemed that Killian and Star carefully portioned everything. Following his instruction she set aside the day's food to prepare.

The kids wanted to play and Killian barely got himself crawling along and growling at them when the door flew open and Star came into the room with her shirt torn in the front. Scrambling to his feet he grabbed her around the waist and stared into her eyes. "What happened?" Part of him worried that it was a Gillick and then he saw the blood on her hand. It wasn't from the rocks either. She had been wearing the gloves and it had helped to prevent all those cuts. "We need to find a..." Breaking into a coughing fit he almost doubled over just to catch his breath. "Need to get out of here." A move like that could get her in big trouble more maybe killed. There was no need for that kind of thing. Then there was the one comfort that the Gillicks didn't often seem too concerned about their own people if they were stupid enough to get hurt. Hopefully it wouldn't amount to anything.

After what happened with Star, Killian was too scared for her to go back to the mines. He had taken the oil droplets to help manage some of the coughing and the chest pain. The fact that she still seemed to want to go out and work was even more upsetting. Killian scowled as he started to try and think of some kind of solution. It was doubtful that she would let him work right now and she couldn't afford to be there with the Gillick at night. Then he came up with a plan. "You can work in the morning and I'll work at nights so there isn't chance to do this again."

With 3 adults in the house there would be enough help even in his current condition to try and make an escape. All they would have to do is last out the winter. Come spring the weather would be good enough that he could try to make it on the land somewhere on the planet. A place where the Gillicks wouldn't think to look for people. If it was hot it would be better and Killian wouldn't find himself cold so often. He hated the cold weather almost as much as other Chippeqouti. Growing up around humans he had a little more experience with cold weather and that had a tremendous benefit though not enough to make him think that cold weather was acceptable or wonderful.

Anna sat up in her bed as soon as Kato came to her bed and the boys stood at the foot of it. "Oh hey there's my favorite doctor."

Kato looked her over, relieved to see she didn't look all that injured aside from a mild concussion. "What happened to you!? Where were you going? How'd you hit your head?"

"I was walking outside on a little scavenger trip. Slipped on the ice and that was it." Anna shrugged her shoulders and motioned for one of the nurses. "Can I be discharged now?"

"Yes. Just be careful with your head for next couple weeks." The nurse made a note on her data-pad that a patient was being discharged and Kato found her clothing. "What were you scavenging? After three months there's nothing left that's worth leaving the children alone." Kato questioned.

This was hardly the time to be asking these sort of questions and Anna put a hand over her head. "I don't even know. Ok?" With a head injury she was pretty sure she could pretend to have some memory problems. After watching Star and Killian Anna was positive she could do it. "When can we go home?" Anna began to put her clothes back on and she had to think of some way to do this and be believable about it. If anyone was going to catch her faking it Kato would be the one. However, it was less likely that he would figure it out considering he traveled more. There were both good and bad things about that.

Even for the walk home Anna was a little unsteady on her feet and her head still hurt. When she got to the house she took herself to the bedroom and laid down on the bed. She would have missed a call and that meant that potentially there would be some issue with the next landing. What she needed to demand next was that they set up only a schedule once a week after this. Something that Anna could do and it would seem within reason. Disappearing once a week for an hour or so was far more reasonable than leaving everyday for about half hour. Someone was going to catch on. For this sort of work there was typically more than one person and Anna knew that now was the best time to start cutting her walks with the least suspicion. Kato was home and he would be upset with her head injury and her violation of the curfew.

Giving Kato a little grin she accepted the bit of food that he brought. "Everyone is ok right?" Though she doubted he would let her get away with it Anna tried to make it seem as small as possible. "A little walk everyday helps keep me sane. I don't know what I was looking for ok? Maybe I don't need an excuse. I don't know. Sometimes I need to go outside and..." Pausing she met his gaze and lowered her eyes. "Well then can I go for walks once or twice a week instead of everyday?"

Killian was on his feet the moment she burst into the house. She closed the door behind her, fighting to calm her panic and the adrenaline rush. Killian held her until she calmed and was able to tell him what happened. Killian went into flight mode and may very we'll have packed them up and tried to leave right that moment if he hadn't started coughing so hard again. Star held him as he tried to regain his breath.

The last she wanted to do was go back there, but if she didnt, Killian would most definitely die, and she couldn't stand the thought of that. "I'm still working, Killian. I'm ok." She really wasn't, but she shook her head at him as he tried to convince her not to go back. They finally came to a compromise with her working mornings and Killian working afternoons. It was still more than she wanted him to work but it was the best compromise for the time.

Star slept at Killian's back that night, gently rubbing his back as he continued to cough. The children had learned to sleep through it. She wished there was more she could do for him than hot compresses. What he really needed was some of those lozenges. So far she'd managed to avoid the cough though she could feel the strain the mines and Yazat's harassment was taking on her.
The next day it was torture getting up. Getting dressed, putting on her coat and gloves knowing had to face the gillick whom she wanted nothing more than to kill or hide from. It was like being around another Kafus with him. She stepped into the cold as the horn blew, snow gently falling from the sky as she made her way to the mines. Yazat was there, his arm in a sling and his eyes narrowed angrily as he spotted Star. She glared back at him, trying not show how terrified she truly was. They had barley worked an hour when a new gillick came in with large crate. "All miners are being given medicine for the cough. Everyone gets one bag. One tablespoon a day in a glass of water. Line up." Star dropped her axe and got in line with the others to get some for Killian.

Just as she was about to get her bag, Yazat grabbed her arm and pulled ger out of line. "Too late for yoi, bi***." He growled. Star watched in panic as the gillick walked away with the crate. That medicine could save Killian's life and he was stopping her! Tears smarting in her eyes, she was forced to return to work under Yazat's watchful eye. She watched carefully too see which tunnel the gillick had gone down. With any luck he'd still be here with the crate when she got off her shift. Killian arrived just before the water break and they greeted one another with tender kiss. Star handed Killian his pick axe. "Don't work too hard." She murmured, touching his chest before turning to leave.

Yazat gave her a nasty look as she left but he couldn't leave his post and follow her. She waited until his attention was on Killian then ducked down the tunnel the other Gillick with the medicine had gone down. This tunnel was where most of the upper ranked Gillicks came and went from and seemed to have a number of rooms carved into the mine walls. With any luck the medicine would be in here somewhere. She searched high and low, avoiding gillicks as she went. Some rooms were completely empty, while others were obviously sleeping or eating quarters. The final door she pushed open seemed to be some sort of supply station. She ducked in, closing the door behind her. This was her best bet to find the medicine.

Star's eyes bugged out at all the supplies she was seeing. This could feed her family for a year! She looked around and began stuffing her pockets with whatever would fit, the majority of which was rations packs. One box had a strangely shaped container. She looked at it, reading the label. Cough cream? They'd had this all this time and they were keeping it from the miners? These gillicks were so cruel. She put two containers in her pocket and continued to search for the medicine. She pushed crates and moved boxes, finally finding it tucked in a corner. Her heart lept and she grabbed at least 7 bags, stuffing them in her bra, socks and sleeves. She was running out of time, and she knew it so she hurried back to the door and waited till the next patrol went past before she snuck out and hurried as casually as possible for home.
Star was beaming as Killian came in. "Someone made medicine to treat the cough! I got you some. Here, drink this." She passed Killian a warm cup of water with the medicine in it. It didn't smell that great but if it saved his life it would be so worth it. "And here, I managed to get some cough cream and two week's worth of ration packs." She opened one of the containers and passed to Killian as he gave her the now empty cup back. "I got two of those so use as much as you need. Don't worry, I didn't sleep with anyone for them...I stole them." She smirked and kissed on the cheek. Things were looking up...she hoped. Maybe...just maybe they could survive this.

**************************************************************************************************
"A little walk everyday helps keep me sane. I don't know what I was looking for ok? Maybe I don't need an excuse. I don't know. Sometimes I need to go outside and..."
"Everyday! You're leaving the boys home alone everyday!?" Kato's jaw dropped. "I understand the need for some alone time but we can't afford to be leaving the boys unprotected everyday.
Pausing she met his gaze and lowered her eyes. "Well then can I go for walks once or twice a week instead of everyday?"
"I'm not against you walking, Anna. I'm against you leaving the boys alone. If you go for a walk, you have to take them with you, or at the very least walk around the house or in the backyard instead." Kato put a gentle hand on Anna's arm. "What if there hadn't been anyone to find you and take you to the hospital. What if I hadn't come home for another four or five days. The boys could have frozen or starved or been kidnapped. Please, I have enough to worry about without adding this to the list."
Clenching her jaw slightly she looked at Kato. "I'll take them on walks, but I really need to have a little time to myself. They're old enough not to burn the house down if I leave them alone for a few minutes."
"I'm not worried about them, I'm worried about what the Gillicks might do to them, or other desperate people."

Kato sighed wearily and rubbed his eyes. "I think we both could use some rest and time to ourselves. I'm home for the next two days so I'll take the boys tomorrow and you do what you need to do to recharge." He smiled kindly at her and left the room. The moment he closed the door behind him, the smile faded and his tired shoulders drooped. He'd spent all night awake last night, terrified for her life, then found out she'd been leaving the boys alone everyday in a very dangerous environment. Somehow her own need to get some alone time was more important than their children's safety. It was making him worried to leave them alone with her anymore.

Kato sat on the couch as the boys played with a few small toys he'd gotten them with his last supply retrieval. Yesterday had been a big accomplishment. The overseer of the mines in sector 7 had agreed to pass out the medicine but his demeanor made it sound like he was extremely reluctant or perhaps just lying to get the doctor off his back. Either way, he hoped the men had actually gotten the medicine that could save their lives. Though, what was the point if they were just going to be worked to death only a few months later. In a way, he was prolonging their suffering. Kato rubbed his face, shaking his head as if to rebuke the dark thoughts. As long as one drew breath, there was always hope. He had to believe that. There was hope that this war was going to end, that everyone would make it out alive and that they could find someplace peaceful to spend the rest of their lives.

Sleeping wasn't that easy as the cough had seemingly gotten worse daily. Thankfully this time it hadn't gotten worse, but he still spent most of the night coughing. Killian did his best to stay quiet, but he couldn't breath without coughing so he continued with the hacking all night long. He could feel Star's hand brush across his back and shoulders as she did her best to bring comfort. Perhaps it didn't feel like much to her though it meant a great deal to Killian. No matter how sick, no matter what happened she had stuck with him like she said and he was going to do everything he could to do the same. Just for now he was on the other side of the fight.

Eventually Killian drifted into a fitful sleep. With all the coughing he still woke off and on though he was mostly in a daze when he did. Finally, at one point he turned over in the bed and he felt that Star was missing from her side. Burying his head under the covers for a few more minutes he slept until he figured it was about time to get up and go work his part in the mines. Mary gave him a quick meal and more drops under the tongue before he left for the afternoon and early evening hours. Despite the extra rest over the last few days and even more today he couldn't say that he felt that much better. Killian walked a bit faster than he should have and he coughed heavily as he came to the cave. There was no reason to keep Star in there any longer than she had to be. At the doorway caught him and puckered her lips. It could be dangerous if a jealous Gillick was watching, but Killian wasn't about to let fear drive him away from her. If he was afraid of offending every Gillick that he passed he may as well lay down and die.

It might have been what happened to Star or the fact that he was sick and life wasn't getting that much better. After another nearly sleepless night he felt like showing defiance in almost any possible manner. Killian was going to have to be careful about the ways that he defied the Gillicks. Perhaps he would have to study them a little longer before he started to understand their weakness. So far the most perceptible of the weaknesses was their pride. They were very sure of themselves and quite confident that they could not be defeated. Having gone undefeated for so long it was easy to see why they thought something like that. Since his last round with a near execution he had learned not to act quickly or rash. He would have to start making plans and he needed Star's input.

Swinging the pick ax with a vengeance he coughed most of the way through the work. Killian didn't see Star sneak out of the mine. Instead he furiously worked and cast his glance every now and then at the Gillick. By the end of the night the glances held a considerable amount less fire and he wandered back to the house with an exhausted slump to his shoulders. Barely stepping into the door he was greeted with a goony grin he hadn't thought he would see on Star's face. At first he frowned a little when she started to show him all the things that she had for him.

Killian reluctantly took the cup of medicine from Star and he sniffed it before taking a sip. It smelled horrible and he nearly gagged. Since it was medicine and there was only one cup he decided that the best course was to gulp it down quickly as possible. When he finished he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. She was still happily showing him more medicine and the frown deepened. What did she do to get all of this?

Finally it seemed that Star caught onto the unspoken concern and she told him how she got the medicine. A gradual smirk came to his face. That little kiss on the cheek only made the smile bigger. "Oh now that's the woman I married." Killian didn't particularly care if it was the kind of activity he should encourage his wife to do. At least it proved she had some fighting spirit left in her. Covering his mouth he coughed a little more and he opened one of the containers to begin rubbing the cream on his chest. The cream smelled potent enough that he didn't think he could wear it when he went into the mines. It might help at night.

There was even more food that usual and he was a little bit excited at the prospect. Who wouldn't have been if ever meal only seemed to increase the hunger pains. Killian swelled with pride as he watched the kids eat their fill. It was his wife that proved to be so capable, and brave. When Killian finished the food on his plate he set it aside and played with the kids for a few minutes before moving over to the bed.

The rest had helped more than he thought it would and Killian even had enough energy remaining to cuddle with Star a little. "When we get our day off I need to have some time with you. Just the two of us." Holding her close he whispered into her ear before settling in and trying to rest. The coughing was still bad that night, but it began to change from a dry hack to a productive cough while the cream soaked into the skin on his chest.

Anna was almost terrified when Kato walked out of the room. What was she going to do? He had never said that they needed time apart before. Not like this. She was going t lose him and maybe leaving the children was a bad thing, but she didn't know how else to handle it. Perhaps she could sneak out at night. For the most part Kato was a sound sleeper and she still couldn't trust that the children wouldn't say something if she took them with. It was almost as if she was next to making the same mistake as before. Kato nearly left her that time and she promised him she wouldn't do this again. Yet here she was. That afternoon she spent resting in the bed and waiting for Kato to come back. What if he didn't? What if he was only going to wait till the worst of this was over and then leave her?

Kato came in an hour later with a plate of food and a flower laying across the edge of it. "Hello, Love. How are you feeling? I have some pain medicine in my bag if you need." He offered, setting the plate on her lap.

There had been enough time for Anna to panic over his parting statement and she made up her mind on the course of action. Taking the plate she blinked back the tears that had begun to form. "We need some time together. Just the two of us. Please close the door. Can't have the boys hear what I've done." Anna gazed up at him. "I made a promise once and....This is me keeping it as best I can."

Kato's forehead narrowed worridely as he closed the door and sat beside her. "So...there is something else on your mind. What's going on, Anna?"

Picking at the food she found that her appetite was seriously inhibited while she waited for Kato to return to the bed. Taking a deep breath Anna peered up at his face. "I made contact with outside forces. They are allying themselves with humans and we are preparing an army to take over the planet. I'm currently their contact on this planet."

Kato blinked, his mouth opening slightly. "Uh...but...um, I thought you said you were done with all that spy stuff." He took a breath, trying not to overreact. It was happening again. Just like five years ago. It was happening again. After all this time he'd thought she'd learned to trust him.

"I didn't mean to get stuck as their operative." Anna searched his eyes which seemed to be ablaze with fear. "Please Kato. I love you more than anything else. We're never supposed to breathe a word to even family and you're the only one I can trust to tell this to. We can't live like this forever and I want our boys to be free. Right now we're slaves and I refuse to raise them like this."

Kato's jaw tightened. "That's just about the same excuse you used last time to not tell me." He rubbed his forehead. "I knew...I suspected after the thing with the watch but I thought that was last of it." He looked back up at her. "I...understand why you are doing this and, I even support you to a point...but, you've been lying to me again...for three months. Why? What is it about me that you can't trust to share everything with?" His voice echoed pain and emotion that he was desperately trying to keep hidden.

"Because I'm a self taught to liar and then I got into work that engaged me. I love what I do. There's a purpose and if it requires that I lie then I do. Kato, I don't trust many people." Anna's eyes welled up and she wiped them away. "I love you and I decided to tell you before it was too late. Isn't now better than never?" Somehow she hoped that he would just forgive her and be done with this whole thing. However, she knew that the last time it had been very serious and he managed to hold a grudge or something for months. She didn't have time for him to take that long. Anna felt a little guilty turning the water works on, but she knew tears looked convincing and they worked on him before.

"Yes, now is better than never." Kato sighed. "The question is now, are you going to keep up this habit of lying to me when it suits you? Even if you swear you won't...will you really keep that oath this time?" He shook his head at her. "I want to trust you, Anna. But you are making it extremely difficult. Leaving the children home alone, constantly lying to me. I can't help but wonder if you being a spy is more important to you than your family. Than me."

Anna let the tears run freely down her face and she sniffled a few times before answering. "I've always been passionate about these sort of things. I won't lie to you about this. If you tell me I can keep doing what I've started then we can decide on a plan together and if you tell me I can't then I'll do what I have to and I won't tell you anything else. You know I won't stop, but you don't have to know where I go or what I do. The less you know the safer you'll be."

Kato put a hand on her hand. He knew from experience the tears were a form of manipulation for her, and they frustrated him more than worked in her favor. Still, he was gentle. He was glad she'd found the courage to finally be honest with him and needed her to know that. "I want to know everything, Anna. And...whatever you are doing to get our family and everyone else out of this mess...I approve. I really do. As much as I want you too be safe, I know some things are more important."

"I found a pad that still works during one of my scavenger hunts. It's hidden deep in a house that is in horrible condition and it has an opening too narrow for anyone besides myself or a child to get through. Mother's don't let their children play in the streets so I keep it there. I made contact with the queen that we rescued from the games and she has agreed to become our ally. For the last several months the new influx of finding more citizens are her soldiers infiltrating the planet. Soon we will begin to rally the workers in each district." Anna stopped there and peered at him from behind her misty eyes. "Now you know basically everything that happens. So you can start asking questions if you have any others."

"How do you play into all this then? Aside from occasionally talking with the queen?" Kato asked.
"I wouldn't call her my queen." Anna snorted and wiped almost angrily at the tears. "Mostly I make contact and give her updates and then I make sure what the patrol schedules are by taking walks and she give drop instructions to the soldiers from there."
Kato nodded understandingly. "So that's why you have to take walks everyday." He looked up at her. "What about the children? You can't keep leaving them alone like that. Its simply not safe."
"Do you want me to take them with on the walks?" Anna glared at Kato. "If I get caught or anything happens they will be shot. Staying here is safer."
"They are four and two, Anna. I know how much this means to you, how important it is to getting us out of this situation, but our children have to come first." Kato took a breath. "What about leaving them with a neighbor you trust, or at the hospital, or waiting until I'm home?"
"If you get home early enough in the day." Anna let out a long breath and she sighed. "Maybe I'll have to find a woman I can trust."
"If the queen really is sending reinforcements, then...have her send someone who can stay here with the children and help out. Better yet, have one of her own people take over." Kato suggested.
Anna's eyes flashed momentarily. "I'll ask her for someone to help watch the children, but I'm not giving this up. I need to be part of something more than sitting here. Kato I'm not happy to just be a little house wife. I'm not made for that."

Kato nodded. He'd always suspected part of her was unhappy being a mother in some ways. "I understand. I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't do anything other than sit at home watching the children either." He smiled gently at her. "I want you to be happy, Anna. I want you to be fulfilled. If you had talked to me sooner, we could've figured out a better way to do this. I wouldn't have agreed to join the traveling doctor's team. I could've been home more to help."
Slightly tilting her head she stared at him for a moment. "You travelling ensures that you have no idea what is going on and I can use you traveling around like that. You'll be my courier to be sure that the other sectors are given information. Soldiers will make contact with you if I tell them to."
"No one is allowed in the hospitals unless they are serious injured and in desperate need of a doctor." Kato responds, uncertain of the idea of becoming a courier.
The little woman picked the flower up and breathed the scent in. "Then they'll break a leg if they have to."

Kato blinked at the response. He had no reply to that for now. Sometimes she shocked him, the way she thought about things, and responded to things. The children for one...and now this. "I'm uh, gonna take a bath. Why don't you eat your food before it gets cold." He stood and left her to rest while he contemplated what she had told him.
******************************************************************************************************

Over the course of the next 10 days, Star was ecstatic to see Killian's coughs turn into ones that were producing a good amount of flem and that the miner's cough was finally being ejected from his lungs. His breathing had noticeably deepened at night and he seemed to have a bit more energy. She continued to work the mines, sneaking into the supply room whenever possible and stealing a few things here and there from the bottom of piles so they wouldn't be missed.

Today was no exception. After Killian took her place she snuck into the supply room and began stuffing more rations into her pockets, as well as more medicine and cough cream. She'd been passing them out to the neighbors for their husbands who'd been deemed too sick to waste medicine on. The ration packets were also helping sustain families who'd lost their husbands and no longer had a viable means of getting rations. She knew she had to be careful not to get caught, but it was lifting her spirits to be able to help people like this.

Star was about to turn and leave when her eyes caught glimpse of a box labeled comms. She looked at the door then hurried to the box and opened it, finding a significant amount of data pads and communication devices. Star's eyes lit up and an idea formed in her mind. She grabbed two and pushed the box back where she'd found it. Slipping the data pads into her coat she snuck out and hurried home.
Star spent the rest of that afternoon putting her hacking and coding expertise to use. She needed to be able to send and receive messages, but she also needed a way to buffer the location of where the messages were coming from, lest the gillicks track it straight to her home. If she could make it look like the messages were coming from the other datapad, it would throw them off track, or point them at someone in particular. Yazat came to mind. If she could plant the datapad in his room...and send "encrypted" messages on his behalf, making it look like he was a human sympathizer...he would be arrested, probably even executed. Two birds with one stone. Send a message out letting people know they were alive and ready to fight back, while also ensuring Yazat would never touch her again. She smiled. It was the best idea she'd come up with yet.

As the congestion loosened in his chest Killian was finding the coughing almost as painful or more than it had been. His ribs had begun to get sore from the constant coughing and now when he woke up at night with a fit he had to spit what felt like a mouthful of gunk. "Ugh...I don't think I've ever been this sick in my life." Getting poisoned had been one thing, but this was different. He was truly sick and it was miserable. Laying back down in the bed he went back to sleep for the rest of the morning. Even though he had improved he was still tired and he spent every day off sleeping through the day. However, he hadn't let Star work one single evening since that attack by the Gillick.

The less chances there were for Yazat to do something the better. Finally it had been a little over 2 weeks and Killian was sleeping on the day off when he felt Star rub his back gently. Sitting up he let the blankets roll off his shoulders. "Thank you." Taking the food from Star he turned his head to cough before taking a bite. Then he remembered what it was that he wanted to talk with her about. "I uh wanted to ask you something." Carefully he glanced around the room to be sure there wasn't anyone eavesdropping. Mary had taken the kids outside for a few minutes and that was good. "Can't just sit here and wait. Eventually they'll find out that someone is stealing supplies and then it'll turn into a mess. We have to start something." At first he thought it looked like she was going to panic. "I've had a lot of time to think about it and we need to start collecting folks that would be willing to fight to take this district. If we can control a portion of the planet it could be enough to inspire others to rise against them."

There were relatively few Gillicks here as compared to the number of workers. His eyes widened slightly when she said that she had communication. "Good." He set the plate of food aside. Lately they'd had enough that he was gaining some weight though not quickly. With the work his hands had become rough from the scars and he brushed one over her arm. "Be careful and..." A grin came to his face. "Start sending messages to anyone that you know abroad. Do you still know where Sasha is or how to contact her?" Though he wasn't particularly fond of the woman that was perhaps the only person outside that he knew might be able to help them. Killian didn't trust the colony and he certainly didn't know anyone else well enough to send any kind of message asking for help. "She might be able to organize some kind of help or get us in touch with someone that is preparing to fight here. If we are going to win this it has to be coordinated." Taking a few more bites he listened to her and then shook his head. "For now you'll have to stop stealing. I can work full days for a few weeks while we get things ready. Besides, " giving her a serious look he sighed, "I've noticed you're getting sick. You need a week and some medicine to heal up." It would progress in her faster and he was afraid of having any prolonged illness around the kids. If Zack got it he would be at the highest risk.

Her little messenger was late by 2 days and it made the queen a little irritated. What did this woman think she was doing? Her job was quite clear and the humans would benefit from the help. If they were serious about this then the queen needed some kind of insight before she sent her soldiers. So far there was limited communication, but she had heard there was a Chippeqouti in one of the districts that had started to collect all men secretly at the mines. He was slipping notes into their coat pockets and giving them meeting places where he would randomly show up to talk with them about uprisings. At least one of her soldiers had made a quick moment to report with his device.

When the woman finally returned it was all explained and the queen clenched her jaw at the news of the husband knowing what was going on. "I'm sorry to hear of your injury. It is a great risk that you take and we value your advice and input. Now you have endangered all my men by telling another person. If all it takes is your family to make you talk then you are weak and I should not have trusted you."

Anna peered at the screen for a moment before she carefully replied. "I asked him to be a courier. He is one of the few that travels between all the districts. If he tells me where he will be going I can send him with instructions from yourself. We have children and neither of us care to be caught or speak for fear of their safety."

That at least made a little more sense. "Very well. I will accept his aid. If I hear of a mistake and it costs the war be assured that we will abandon you there. We cannot afford a single mistake."

By the end of the conversation Anna felt the pressure growing. They were beginning to arrange for a mass scale revolt and take the airfields outside of each district. If they could do that it would afford them a place to launch from and then take the rest of the planet. If the queen planned to expand her borders it would explain her interest in helping the humans now. Perhaps she was considering taking the Gillick nobles down in power by a few notches just to preserve her own kingdom. Finally, Ann arrived home and she saw that Kato had already put the boys to bed. Sighing the little woman flopped onto her bed and waited for her husband to join her. "Nothing like a little pressure to inspire a person to do better than their best." Anna tilted her head and peeled one eye open to look at him. "You know sometimes I think that you're still upset with me about all this. I don't really understand why? I told you everything." Anna could very well imagine why, but she didn't want to think about that and she still felt guilty over it. Unfortunately now she felt more guilty because she lied again.

3 Months Later:

Anna huddled inside the house with the boys. She knew today was the coordinated attacks. They would make a push to take this part of the planet and if it failed she would likely have to do her best to flee with the boys and possibly Kato if he could make it back to her in time. All she could hope was that he wasn't in a ship or even at a landing pad today. Warning him only did so much good when it was the Gillicks that controlled his life.

A few of the men had revealed after length of meetings that they were already under orders from an outside government and they were taking over the planet. They were more than happy to accept the help of anyone willing. Killian winked at Star as he started for the door of the house. He had gained most of his weight back and he wasn't sick with the miner's lung anymore. Over the last few months he had even gotten to the point that the residual cough had worn off. That seemed to disappoint the Gillicks. "Remember to make a run for it with the kids as soon as you can. We'll start in the mines and spread out till we reach the landing pads. Just to be sure in case it was the last time Killian pulled Star closer to himself for a quick kiss.

One hand spread over her lower back and he held onto her for a few moments longer. Finally he grabbed the pick ax and his bag from the side of the wall near the doorway. Walking out of the house he saw many of the others walking toward the mine. A few of them had a certainty in their step and Killian was determined that he should survive and succeed in this mission. It was their single chance for escape.

In part he could feel a sense of anxiety rise in his stomach. There was a chance he wouldn't make it. If he didn't Star would be alone and if they failed she would be executed because of his failure. With that in mind he knew that he couldn't possibly fail if he wanted Star and the children to survive. Desperation gave men a drive like none other and he had more to lose than any Gillick standing out there on the battlefield. At least today he knew that the mines would be the battlefield till he got to open ground. Gradually the mine filled with the workers and they swung their pick ax's the same as usual. Occasionally Killian would stop to pick up his pile of rocks and then he would sort out the chunks with mineral in them. The military squadron leader had to give the signal anytime. They were almost half way through the day when he saw the man stop what he was doing and he turned to face the Gillick standing behind him.

Killian turned to face his Gillick driver. The creature's watch said that it was 16:00 hours. That meant that they were all revolting 3 hours before they were to be let out for the day. Mining all day and in good health meant that they had far greater stamina than their captors. Once they reached the minimum of at least 5 men sight that took the stance each man took his pick ax and swung it at his captor that was sufficiently confused and dismayed at the sudden show of defiance. Screams echoed in the mine as the men that had refused to take part were attacked by the Gillicks. Killian was nearly in the back of the mine. A river of blood began to flow down the cavern and pooled in a divot in front of him before it ran out in a growing stream. Leaping over the puddle Killian swung his pick ax with one hand and reached for another Gillick as he charged forward into the fray.

Killian had barely started getting better and he was already ready to take on the gillicks in their sector. Star looked up at him startled as he relayed his idea to her.
"I've had a lot of time to think about it and we need to start collecting folks that would be willing to fight to take this district. If we can control a portion of the planet it could be enough to inspire others to rise against them."
It sounded like a fools errand to Star. They would just get wiped out if this didn't go right. Being separated from the other sectors meant that they didn't know if one was rebelling or not. The Gillicks could easily deal with them one sector at a time. Planet wide though was a bit more difficult. "I stole some communication pads last time I was in the supply room." Star offered, burying a cough beneath a clearing of her throat. Her chest had been getting heavier the last several days and she knew she was developing the same cough of as Killian, though she'd been trying to hide it. He needed to not worry about her and get well.

Then he suggested calling Sasha. Which was the last thing she wanted to do...but...if it got them out of here, maybe it was the right play. "Yeah, I'll send her a message. Maybe she can help." Star rubbed her tired eyes. Her hands were scarred and calloused like Killian's, yet another thing they shared. She missed the feeling of smooth hands, but...it was a worthy sacrifice in exchange for Killian's life. Killian brought up working full time the rest of the time and she was about to protest when he mentioned that he'd noticed her getting sick.
"I'm fine, Killian." Star tried to assure him. "You shouldn't push it too hard to fast lest you ruin all the healing the medicine is doing." Still, he seemed insistent that she not work anymore. She agreed, for the week. "One week of rest. Then I'm helping you again."
"You know sometimes I think that you're still upset with me about all this. I don't really understand why? I told you everything."
Kato looked over at her, as he pulled the blanket over himself. "Upset isn't the right word. More...contemplative, even a little worried. You're my wife, my other half. I just want you to be safe, even though I know that can't always be so. And...I want to rest assured that there's nothing more you're hiding from me...for whatever reason. I get that as a spy you have to keep certain secrets, but...maybe let me know when I've hit on one instead of lying to me? Just tell me that isn't a thing you can talk about right now, and I'll understand. I'd much rather hear that then lies."
"Then what? How do I know you won't ask more questions? What do I do if there are others around when you say something?" Anna stared at him for a long moment. "If I can I'll tell you I can't talk about it. If we're someplace with little ears or other ears I'll lie because I have to."
"Will you tell me later that you had to lie? When we're alone?" Kato questioned.
Anna shrugged. "I could if we're holding hands squeeze your hand slightly or I could try to remember to say something later." She didn't see why it was such a big deal for him to know something like that. "Why aren't you happy with knowing things as they are stated?" After years of practicing she was used to never thinking about the lies again.
"Because honesty, for me, is extremely important. In all our years of being together, I have always been as truthful as I could. Lying, for me, is as bad as betrayal. You're used to lying all the time to people with your work, so maybe you can't understand how much it hurts me when you lie to my face. But for me...its as if you just said you can't trust me enough, or value me enough to tell me the truth."
Shaking her head she tried not to show how frustrating it was to go around and around on this wheel with Kato. "How much more trust do you want me to show? I just told you something about me that could easily get us killed and you'll practically be privy to all the trips that I make since I'll do it when you're here and try to find someone to watch the boys when you're not. Kato that's the kind of trust I'm not supposed to have in you as a spy. I'm making you part of the network so that you can have this information. You'll carry letters to men in different colonies. I contact the queen with your itinerary and she gives orders to be sure you make contact. Then I tell you what their sign is so you know its the right guy." Anna was trying her hardest to make this easier for him. "You wanted to work with me the last time and this is me making it possible for you to work with me."

Kato rolled over and put an arm around her waist, smiling gently. "I know, and it means the world to me that you are letting me into this part of your life. I truly am happy that you are. But you asked why couldn't be content with a lie...and answered, that's all. So, now that you understand that, you can understand how much this, you letting me in on this spy thing...really means to me as well."
"I'm a little nervous you won't be good at it." Anna chuckled. "You are kinda dense sometimes."
"I'll learn. I am a certified doctor and surgeon. I hold people's lives in my hands everyday and know how to not let my feelings affect me when the situation demands it." Kato ran a hand through her hair. "Trust me, Anna. I'm more capable than you think."
"Not always nervous about your feelings. Sometimes I worry about your mouth." Anna squiggled up in the bed a little and went in for a sneak attack kiss. It sort of worked with the exception that he peered down at her just as she puckered her lips and she kissed his nose instead. "Huh...." Anna pulled away and grinned. She thought it was funny to see her lipstick on his nose. "You look like Rudolph."
Kato chuckled and kissed her neck whispering, "No need to worry about my mouth. I know how keep a secret. Doctor patient confidentially, remember?"

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
3 Months Later

True to his word, Kato did learn his role in the spy network, and quickly. He became excellent at passing messages secretly while treating his patients. Finding ways to get privacy while not alerting the gillicks who watched him. The last thing on their minds was that this simple, nervous doctor could possibly be clever enough or bold enough to pass message right in front of their eyes in the form of medication, casts for broken bones and more and they not even know it.

There was a sense of thrill that came with each successful encounter with the queen's agents. Each encounter brought them that much closer to getting free of the Gillicks. Soon his children could play freely, without fear of the gillicks. And he could relax knowing his family was safe.

Today, was the final day, and Kato finished with his current patients as quickly as possible, knowing that the attack would be coming any time now. He wanted to be home when it happened so that he could be with his family and help them escape. It was a little past noon after he finished with his last patient. He was running low on time to get back. "I'm ready." He said to the gillick guards, and they walked him to the shuttle.

Through the entire flight he tried not to show how nervous he was. What if he didn't get back to them in time? What if the attack started before...There was an explosion against the side of the shuttle and Kato grabbed the safety bars as the shuttle spun out of control, hitting the ground with a massive crunch. When he came to, the shuttle was on fire and most of the gillicks were dead or unconscious. Kato groaned and grabbed his medical pack before squeezing out of a hold in the side of the shuttle. He was guessing that was cue for the resistance to start fighting back.

Kato dropped to the ground, touching a cut on his head. It wasn't bad, and he wasn't super dizzy which were both good signs. He looked around, spotting the ruins of the city center. The airstrip would be west of there. He hiked the pack on his back and hurried towards the airstrip to meet up with Anna and children. This was it. This was they day they got free, or died.

Star held onto Killian for as long as she could before he pulled away and headed out the door with his pickaxe and bag. Again, her heart clenched with that fear that he'd be killed before he made it to the airstrip with her, then she shook her head and smirked to herself. Killian was one man that could make it, even if everyone died. He'd proven that over and over.
"Ok kids! Time to leave!" She grabbed the bags which were already packed as Mary helped her gather the children and what few other supplies they had left.

Leaving the little shack they rushed out with the other families as soon as they heard the bombings start. Soon the airstrip would be clear and they would have only a short window to get off the planet before Gillick reinforcements showed up to take the city back. Star prayed that at least her family would be able to get off. It was a selfish prayer, but she didn't care. She just wanted her family.

As soon as the bombings stopped Star left her hiding place with Mary and the children and they joined the others waiting anxiously for the evacuation shuttles. Star looked anxiously towards the mines, waiting for that man she loved so dearly to appear.

Last edited:
The Gillicks took almost instant action as soon as they realized there was an uprising. "We need reinforcements at the mines!" An officer yelled into his headset and instead he got a reply that all other districts were under siege as well. A screen flashed with a warning in front of him indicating an incoming set of ships flying low. They were more than likely a bombing raid. "All men to battle stations!" Setting his headset back to the local channel he raced for his gun as the ships of the Ethoran people came in. It was a strong race and quite dominant in their own way. The Gillicks had not thought to see the Ethoran get involved in this race since they had stayed clear of one another.

"Keep the slaves back. Shoot the advance." Turning slightly the officer had some of his men train their guns on the advancing army and the rest did their best to defend the base. A few of the Gillicks were in the front of the enemy as they tried to retreat before the line of bullets flew out at them.

Killian caught a bullet on the edge of his cheekbone. It tore the flesh open and glanced off. He was near the front as the bullets began to fly out toward him and the others making the charge. The Ethoran army seemed to be more than aware of his bloodlines and they had him take up guarding the officer of their forces. Throwing the man to the ground he crouched over him till the firing stopped momentarily. The Gillicks were reloading and their guns and the army that remained rose from the ground again. Hiding themselves among the dead had saved a few of their men. On the last stretch across the field it seemed like forever as men fell to the ground. A soldier with a communications device remained laying in the field of the dead and called out coordinates for the airstrike.

A buzz sounded as the ships from the Ethoran flew overhead. Bombs hissed as they were released. The officer motioned for all his men to hit the ground again and Killian ducked with him. Covering his head with his arms Killian's hands shook as he waited for the sound of the bombs hitting the ground. It was as if they all hit at the same time and the ground rolled underneath him. There was nothing worse feeling than knowing you were on solid ground that shook. Cringing with the first hit he barely lifted his head to see that the first round had covered the hissing of another strike. Immediately he buried his head underneath his arms again.

"C'mon men!" The smoke hadn't even cleared as the officer pulled at Killian and yelled for the rest of the men to advance. "We take that air strip and you can send your families to safety. Transports are waiting for them." There were very few of the slaves that had families remaining, but it was incentive to keep their moral up. Last thing the Ethoran officers needed was for the men to begin cowering. A moment's hesitation could easily cost them the war.

Charging ahead toward the fields the men spread out. The first round of ships came in low and settled at the perimeter of the landing strip. Another round began to fly past to make a charge for the area extending beyond the immediate area of control. A man stepped out of one ship and he nodded to the soldiers. "All able bodied men will be conscripted to the military and equipped for the battle to restore the planet to order. Transports will land shortly and then we will leave our men here to hold the ground and the rest of you will ship out before nightfall. Line up!"

Out of the corner of his eye Killian thought he saw Star and the children coming for the landing strip. At least the Gillicks hadn't reached them in time. He wanted badly to leave with them, but he had a job here to complete. When his turn came he stepped up tot he back of the ship to accept a gun and armor for the upcoming push. As soon as he was equipped he was given the orders to help hold ground here and execute any living Gillicks he could find. Taking the gun in hand and loading it he started to wander the field and he carefully shot every living Gillick through the heart. It was one way to ensure that they died in case they retained some of the same thick skull from their Chippeqouti ancestry.

With the first explosion Anna covered her boy's heads. "On the count of 10 we start moving." She didn't want to wait too long, but neither did she want to get caught in the bomb drop when she made her advance. Jacob started to cry before she even made it down the street with him. Already there were bodies of the Gillicks laying everywhere. "Don't look, honey. We need to get to the air strip and then there will be a ship to take us far away."

The little woman almost drug the oldest one behind her and she held the youngest in her remaining arm since he wouldn't be able to run fast enough. "Shh!" Joseph let out a scream as they worked their way closer and bullets started to fly around them. Bombs had already begun to drop in the distance and the remaining Gillicks were putting up a good fight. Anna moved her hand to push the boy up on her shoulder a little further when she felt him start to go limp and nearly fall from her grasp. Stumbling a little she let go of Jacob's hand and reached out with her second hand to catch Joseph. The boy's eyes had a nearly glazed expression and she could feel the blood oozing from his back. "Baby...no no. Just hold on. Mamma has you. Ok? Just hold on for a few more minutes."

Already her heart had leapt to the back of her throat and she gulped the sobs back. Jacob had come to stand directly in front of them and he wailed louder when he saw the blood seeping from his brother's back. "Joseph!" Screaming the brother's name he pulled at the little boy's arm almost frantically. "Joseph! Jos..." Anna stood up abruptly and pulled the older boy by his arm. They had to move and quickly if they would make a transport in time. Most importantly she needed Kato. Where was he? He should have already been near the edge. Another round of bombs dropped and the sound wave hit Anna like a tide. It nearly pulled her in and as the smoke cleared she could see the ships preparing to land on the other side. "We have to run now. Ok my baby men?"

An officer grabbed Star by the arm as she approached. "You have a benefactor that has agreed to house you until your husband is released from duty." Carefully as they could they guided her and the children toward a smaller ship. "Hurry we don't have much time before the control of space is compromised." There wasn't time for her to ask questions and he could only hope that she would willingly accept the help. "The benefactor will be waiting for you on the other side."

The world erupted in chaos after the first wave of bombs fell. Star held her children close to her as the gunshots sounded in the distance and ships began landing, soldiers pouring out of them. They were arming the men to prepare to fight. She wanted nothing more than to join them...to join Killian and make sure he got out alright. But she had their children to look out for. A soldier suddenly grabbed her arm, and she jumped, ready to fight till she saw he was human. He spoke about a benefactor waiting for her.

A benefactor? Star was confused. She didn't have a benefactor. She wanted to ask but he was already urging them inside. Her children's safety came before curiosity. "In you go Zach, c'mon Claire." She pulled her little girl's hand and got her into the ship. Mikey was screaming as he held tightly to her neck. No sooner were they all in than the ship door closed and lifted off. Another soldier helped her usher the children to seats with buckles in the center of the ship and she got them strapped in before buckling herself.

Mikey and Claire were still crying while Zach was white with fear. "Hey, we're going to be ok." Star assured them.
"Where's Daddy!?" Claire cried.
"He's coming. He'll be with us soon." Star reached over, grabbing her hand. She winced as the ship shuddered, pushing through the atmosphere. "We'll be ok. He'll be ok."
****************************************************************************************************

By the time Kato reached the Airstrip, soldiers were already piling out and passing weapons and armor to civilian men. One officer tried to pass him a gun and armor as well but Kato refused. "I'm a doctor. I can help treat the injured."
"There's no one to treat right now. Our priority is to defend this space from Gillick retaliation so we can get the women and children out." The officer yelled above the sound of gunfire.
"There is always someone to..." Kato paused. He was certain he'd heard someone yell his name. He turned, searching through the faces of the terrified women and children who were crowding the ships to get aboard.
"Kato! Help!" He turned again, just barely spotting Anna's desperate face and a bloodied hand waving at him. He took off, ignoring the officer's protests and pushed through the people. "Anna! Oh my gods, Joseph." He knelt down before them, taking the limp boy in his arms. He checked his pulse and used his implants to check the wound.
"Looks like the bullet ricocheted off one of his lower vertebra. I'm not seeing any intestinal or organ damage. That's good." Kato said to her, laying the boy on his stomach and pulling off his pack. "Anna, get the ventilator test and press it against his mouth. If the screen turns red I'll need to intubate him." Kato was already gloved up and cutting off Joseph's shirt, wiping away the excess blood. He glanced up at Anna as she told him the test was green. "Good, that means he's still adequately breathing on his own. Get the mini oxygen tank out of the side pocket and put the mask around his face."

Kato pulled out his surgery kit, and retrieved a knife and tweezers. "Anna, you should cover Jacob's face." He went to work saving his child's life. Despite his heart pounding and his mind wanting to freak out, he managed to stay calm. His son's life depended upon him staying calm. He could hear soldiers yelling in the distance, and ships taking off and landing again. He had to finish up here quickly and get his family on one of those ships. Kato pulled the bullet out and cleansed the wound, packing it with power and cloth to stem the bleeding and protect it from infection. He wrapped a quick final bandage around his chest and back, then lifted Joseph up in his arms. "I've done what I can for him right now, but he needs a hospital. We need to get you a ship that can take you and the boys to one immediately."

Last edited:
Anna was nearly ready to burst into tears again as Kato came rushing over. Other people were ok to get hurt, but not children. As much as she wasn't so sure that she wanted to be a mother she had come to love her boys almost as much as she loved her husband. Sometimes it didn't seem to make sense to them, the things that she did. Freedom was necessary to raise her boys to be the kinds of men that they were meant to be. There was nothing worse than the fact that now one of them could be dying and it was her fault. She had to be involved in all this and she had to run with the boy in her arms.

Almost in a daze she got down on her knees to put the mask over the boy's face while Jacob stood by whimpering. By now the boys was crying and his frantic screams had died down. The little woman kept telling herself that there was no time for what ifs. No matter what they seemed to come back to her mind anyway. It was impossible to block out the possibility that this was her fault. Reluctantly she grabbed Jacob and covered his eyes while Kato worked to pull the bullet from Joseph. Feet rushed all around them and the transport ship had begun to fire up the engines as Kato finished what he could for the moment. Letting her hands drop from Jacob's eyes Anna glanced at Kato. "You come back to us." After they had gone through all of this together she couldn't bear the idea of losing him. "Maybe I haven't always been a good wife, but I love you and I'd back her to dig you out of a damn grave if I had to." Pulling Joseph carefully off the ground she tried to support his limp form as best she could. There wasn't any medical aid for the ships. It was just a transport and she could only hope that more damage wasn't done for the trip home.

Throwing one last look at Kato over her shoulder she rushed with Jacob onto the transport as the soldier prepared to close it off in the back. Inside the transport was packed with women, wounded, and children. There wasn't room for any of them to lay and so Anna was forced to hold the boy in her arms with Jacob leaning against her. What would her children think of her when they got older? Would they realize that she did what she felt had to be done or would they reject her? Both of them were going to be scarred after seeing this no doubt.

Little Joseph began to whimper and cry shortly before they landed. His little dark head of hair shook with each sob though it seemed he was trying to be careful not to cry too hard. It must have hurt and Anna's heart broke. She couldn't even rub his back or try to comfort him without making it worse. "Shhh...It's ok. We're going to see a doctor and they will make you feel all better." Her brow furrowed with worry. What if there weren't enough doctors? There were so many concerns now that she was having to think about it. They were free and for now that was going to be her greatest moment of victory. One that she would have to hold tightly onto if she was going to make it through all this.

As they landed she piled out with Jacob in tow. If they were going to reach a hospital and get a bed she was going to make sure they got there first. Instead she was met by the queen and the woman immediately ushered Anna to a palace. "We have a physician ready to check you and the boys out." It seemed that Anna had made a good impression and the queen was prepared to ensure that her immediate concerns were taken care of for the moment.

Anna stayed in the room with Joseph after his surgery and she put Jacob in the bed on the other side of the room. Her own bed was in the middle and she woke frequently during the night to check on Joseph and then she often had to wake Jacob to keep him from screaming in his sleep. "My baby men." Sadly stroking Joseph's head she saw him wince slightly when he tried to move and a whimper came from his mouth. Already another round of crying started from Jacob's bed and she had to move over to his side to keep him from waking Joseph. "Shhh....."

Sitting at the fire that night Killian found himself wondering if Star and the kids were alright. He glanced at the flames and then stood. Pacing the camp he almost ran into Kato. "Looks like you made it this far."

Kato looked up at the chip wearily. His thoughts had been lost, wondering how Joseph was. "As have you. Star and the children make it out?"

It was sometimes odd. Killian never could figure out if their conversations were friendly or not. Staring at the doctor for a moment he shrugged. "Maybe. I saw them for just a second I thought. Didn't see them after that."

"Hmm..." Kato nodded and noted the open wound on Killian's jawline. "Do you want me to stitch that for you?" He questioned, gesturing to the wound.

There was some swelling at the jaw and Killian nodded at Kato. "If you got time." It was throbbing some, though it barely compared with the constant worry about Star. "How about Anna, Jacob, and Joseph. You see them out?" Taking a seat near a lantern Killian let Kato push his head any which direction he needed to get a look at the jaw.

"Yes...." Kato pulled out his kit and began cleaning the wound. "Joseph took a bullet to back though. I managed to get it out before sending him off with Anna and Jacob." Though his voice was calm, his heart was still burdened knowing he couldn't be there to support his family.

Momentarily Killian pulled away from Kato. "The hell!" Last he expected was for the doctor to be worried about him when there were kids that got hurt. "If I knew which Gillick did it I would have gutted the bastard. Do you know who did it?" Searching the doctor's face he tried to divine some kind of answer from the expression though he couldn't quite make out what Kato's initial response was.

"No, it happened before I made it to the air strip." Kato gestured for Killian to bring his jaw back. "I appreciate the thought but that gillick is probably long gone by now I can't really do much for my boy while i'm here so...let me finish stitching you up."

Almost wincing at the thought of letting the doctor touch his jaw again Killian reluctantly leaned back toward the doctor. "Mmm. I'll talk to the officer and when we finish our service see if we can't get you on the first ship back. Eh?"

Kato glanced at Killian's eyes. "I'd appreciate that." He finished stitching the man up and pulled a small packet out of the pack. He tore it open and gently applied the cream to Killian's jaw. "That should bring the swelling down and help with the pain. Any other injures you have that need treatment?"

The cream was cool and it felt good when it first went on till that tingling started and Killian rolled his eyes. This meant that somehow the cream fought infection too. "I don't think so. Thanks." Getting to his feet again Killian nodded at Kato. "Just stay alive. I'd hate to go through all the trouble to get you out of here first only to stuff your dumb carcass in a box."

Kato chuckled lightly. "Don't worry. I'm staying plenty in the back and out of the line of fire as much as possible. You do the same."

"Hah!" Killian shook his head. "Benefit of being Chippeqouti. They all think we're made for fighting. I'll try not to lose my head or bleed out."
**************************************************************************************

As soon as Star landed in the smaller craft a large man stepped forward. His black hair was carefully kept, and violet eyes looked her and the children over carefully. Extending a dark hand toward her, he smiled. "I'm Morgan La'Balfour." It didn't seem that she knew who he was and for now that was fine. "You will accompany me to a planet far from the Gillick's reach. "When the queen was rescued she became quite curious about you and she brought a book back for the library of histories. I'm always quite curious to read about anything with the Chippeqouti in other systems."

It almost seemed that she was shocked or amazed at his statement. "Not all the Chippeqouti are like those from the planet Qouti. In my system we are much more peaceful. We trade and act as guardians over the trade routes. It is a lucrative business. Long ago the Chippeqouti travelled and we split into many tribes. Some were lost and others were cast out. Your story intrigued me and I must admit that I did not know the Bippens had begun to sell off the Chippeqouti. From your description they have all, but destroyed that clan."

"Uh, yes. They have. There are but a few left on a hidden planet. Um, I'm sorry. Are you my benefactor or..." Star held Mikey on her chest while Claire and Zach stood close to her legs.

The man nearly blushed as he realized he introduced himself and had assumed she was told his name in advance. "Forgive me. I am your benefactor. Have you any needs before we depart for my home planet?"

"I'd rather not leave without my husband." She replied, her eyes narrowing. She wasn't certain what this chip had in mind for her, but she wasn't going to a far off planet with him without Killian.

A smile came to his face and he nodded. "Very well." He could not expect her to be terribly trusting right away. "Then I have a modest home here for times when the senate of coalition planets meet. I represent my home planet." Morgan knew he sounded far too curious, but he was always curious about one thing or another.

"There's a coalition of planets?" Star shook her head. "I still have so much to learn about this system." Claire tugged on her pant leg. "Mom I'm hungry." Immediately all the kids began declaring the same thing and Star looked at Morgan apologetically. "I have questions, but the children come first. Where can we go to get some food?"

The man smiled and nodded at her. "I have plenty of food. Since I found out that we were going to make an attempt to return the balance I spoke to the council about the possibility of housing you if you and your family survived." Stepping over to a small transport he sat on one side and left the other side for the children and Star. There was enough room for all of them to comfortably fit in place. "My wife will be delighted to hear you have arrived safely. She will likely join us here." A slight expression of apprehension came to his face. "You did marry a Chippeqouti? I hope I have not made a mistake."

Star chuckled. "I most definitely did. Killian. He's the best thing to happen to me. This is Mikey and that's Claire. They are our children and the older one is Zach. We adopted him."

"Very good. Then he is Killian Laulorin?" The Chippeqouti smiled as she answered again. "After the you and the children are rested and fed we may continue this conversation."

Star had finally managed to put the children to bed. They were exhausted from the day so thankfully they went right to sleep, but worry about Killian was keeping her up. She wandered out of the room and found Morgan leaving the kitchen. "Morgan La'Balfour. Did I say that right?" She questioned. She smiled as he nodded, then looked at him curiously. "So...this benefactor business...what does that mean exactly? I...we, my family doesn't know you and I'm not sure what you are expecting from us in return."

It seemed that the woman had become familiar enough with the Chippeqouti accent that she pronounced his name quite well. Nodding he remained silent as he had sensed a question coming further. "The queen's experience and your story is what spurred the action we took. In part I fought for the war because I beleive Killian is my son. There is no expectation from you."

Star's eyes widened. "Uh, what? What makes you think that?"

"I used to travel and trade far more broadly than I do now. Some years ago. About 42 years ago I travelled to Qouti and I met a woman by the surname of Laulorin. All children carry the last name of their mother in Chippeqouti culture. She was a beautiful woman. Already had a child and she was lonely. Her husband was a violent man and she came to me for help." The man lowered his gaze. "I was naive. She had fallen in love with my tribe. Lady Laulorin was tired of the voilence and we became involved. In time her husband found out and we had to flee. Killian didn't look enough like Lady Laulorin's partner. I took her and the baby. When it became uncertain that we would escape him we stopped on our way to give him to a woman. Anyone that said they would care of him. She gave us an address and we ran for our lives for the next 10 years before we returned to find him gone. There was no trace of our boy until your book."

"Sasha. That was the woman you gave him too. Wow." Star rubbed her forehead in amazement and laughed gently. "Too think after 40 years the thing that would cause you to find him again was my book." She noted his violet eyes, finding it curious that his would be purple while Killian's were green. While the story fit, she was still somewhat suspicious. If his wife's eyes weren't green, she'd know they were lying and had other plans. "Well, I thank you for hosting us. It means alot to me. Is there any word on how the planet is doing?"

Morgan pulled a pad out of the kitchen drawer and handed it to her. "They are advancing. I have requested that the captain give me updates on him. My wife should be here in the morning. She will likely have a million questions for you." He couldn't help smiling a little. "I understand the suspicion. Even now I'm unsure even if all the facts seem to line up and he looks very much like his mother."

Star looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. It was as if he'd read her mind. "I suppose we'll see. Killian and I have a good reason for not trusting quickly." She handed the pad back to him. "I hope you're telling the truth though. It would be nice to have some good news and benefactors after everything."

"If he proves to be our son I would not consider myself a benefactor." Morgan looked at her. "In time I would hope that both of you could consider us as part of your family." He did not understand all of her surprise at his statements. He had caught the undertone of distrust in her book. Her writing style had revealed many things about her as a person.

"The last 'family' of Killian's we ran into shot him in the head and tried to keep me from getting close to him." Star noted. "I know you said that your culture was different...I guess only time will tell how different."

For the time all he could do was accept her statements. They were her experience and he couldn't contradict them. "Indeed only time can tell. Would you like to see a picture of his mother?" Morgan stepped near Star and pushed a small button on the pad so that it displayed pictures and then he brought one up. It showed a tall black haired woman and the same bright green eyes. Her skin was dark and she had a mischievous twist to her lips. "Her clan is unpredictable at times."

Star smiled lightly. "She is beautiful." She couldn't help but wonder if Claire would look like this woman when she grew older. Star looked up at Morgan. "Well, you've answered my questions for now. Did you have some you wished to ask me before your wife arrives?"

The man shook his head. "No. I'm sure my wife, Belen will have plenty more questions to ask you. She was quite eager when I contacted her to say we were staying here."

Star's first thought when she woke the next morning was wether or not Killian had survived the night. She slipped on her sweater and hurried downstairs where she found the datapad that was receiving updates on the battle and on Killian's condition. The last updated had him listed among the alive and healthy. Star breathed a sigh of relief. "Hurry home, Killian." She murmured.
She set the datapad down and noted the sound of running water. Running water, electricity. That mean there was a shower in here. Her eyes lit up. She hadn't had a shower in half a year.

Star darted to the bathroom and pushed open the door. Sure enough, there was a shower with shampoos and fresh towels. Tears sprang to her eyes as she smiled and turned it on. There were so many little things one doesn't realieze they miss until they don't have it. Being able to shave and shower was one. Having a toilet with t.p. was another. She scrubbed the washcloth over her skin, amazed by the amount of dirt coming off and how she seemed to turn a whole shade lighter. Her hair especially had become knotted and greasy from lack of a comb or brush. Instead of trying to work out all the tangles she found a pair of scissors and simply cut the brown locks to her neck.

Star finished bathing and was scrubbing down with a towel she noted her stomach. A sense of loss filled her mind as she thought about how she would be eight months pregnant by now. No doubt about ready to give birth or be induced. Her hand rested on her stomach sadly. Sorry you didn't get a chance, little one. She took a breath and stepped out of the bathroom, feeling mostly refreshed.

Mikey and Claire had just crawled out of bed, their own little bodies and hair a tangled mess as well. Star turned on the bath and put them in the tub, spending the next 40 minutes scrubbing them clean and cutting off masses of dark tangled curls. By the time they were done they were running around her legs in circles, energized by the hot bath and clean feeling. Immediately they started asking for food again and she smiled. It overjoyed her to be able to take care of them like they needed.

All the yelling had woken up Zach too and he wandered out of the bedroom. His little ribs were showing and there were dark circles under his eyes. The poor lad had spent most of the 6 months sick in bed, hanging on for dear life. She ushered him to the shower, promising lots of food when he came back out.
Morgan's wife arrived by the time the children had been all fed. They were now watching T.v. happily in the living room while Star stood by, feeling a little nervous about meeting Killian's mother. What if she didn't like Star? What if she didn't approve of her grandchildren? What if she was a horrible woman or simply uncaring. So many what ifs...most of them negative.
The woman bustled right through the front door and let her husband take her bags. There was very little she had to pack since she had many things here at this house. Turning the corner to the living room she came face to face with Star and her eyes studied the woman. "You're her." Gradually a smile came to her face. "You're the woman." It was perhaps a variant of what she'd just finished saying, but she couldn't think of anything else to say for the moment. Peering around Star's shoulder she tried to catch a glimpse of the children. "Those two are yours?" She already knew by the dark skin and hair. That little tiny boy and the girl had to be Star and Killian's. The oldest one was obviously adopted. A curious thing for a Chippeqouti to do.
"Yes. Claire and Mikey. The older boy is Zach. His parents were killed." Star studied the woman in return. She had the same bright green eyes and mischievous smile that Killian tended to get...but was it enough to prove she were his mother?

"Oh." Nodding the woman looked at Star and tried to think of something to say. Could it even be considered appropriate what she aimed to say. Finally, she gave up and decided to simply say as she wished. "I want to know how my son is doing."
"How he's doing right now, this minute? Or how his life has been since you abandoned him to a prostitute?" Star questioned with a hint of judgement.
"A prostitute?" The woman almost gasped. "I...I didn't know she was. No one would accept him. They were suspicious of me." Her mother's heart nearly wilted at the thought. "I don't know what you expect of me. Every mother is faced with a difficult decision at some point. How was I to know that we would have made it here safely. It was a choice to save him if we could not save ourselves. We had to make it fast or else my husband would have found us and he intended to kill Morgan and Killian."
"Why wait 10 years to even begin searching for him again thought?" A couple years I can understand, but 10!?" Star demanded incredulously.
"Have you ever known a Chippeqouti to give up a search? Do you think I wanted to wait that long? He was my baby and I made the hardest decision of my life to trust him to someone else so that he might have a chance to survive." Belen gazed at Star for a long moment. "My heart ached for him. We searched for years and we could not find any sign of him. He never made any inquiry after us, we searched every record in the Heuth system and found nothing. It was too dangerous to return Qouti in the event that he found his way there."

Star sighed and rubbed her stomach. "I apologize. I'm not trying to judge you, or put a rift between us already. I...we've been through alot recently and I suppose I'm taking out my fear for Killian's safety right now on you."
A proud smile came to the woman's face. "You are the woman I've read about. Both of us scoured the book for every detail that we could find. By then the war started and Morgan did everything in his power to try and find both of you. May I?" Motioning to the couch she hoped that Star would allow for her to sit so that she could see the children's faces. "Do you massage their legs during the growing pains?"
"Yes. I also use hot compresses and a mix of vitamins and calcium that seem to help ease the discomfort." Star sat beside her.
"Good." The woman glanced at the children. "You have learned much about us." Carefully she placed a hand on Star's. While she wasn't as familiar with humans she assumed that they made better connections if they touched, the same as Chippeqouti.
Star nearly drew her hand away, uncomfortable with being touched by the woman, especially since she knew that it was their way of connecting. Star still wasn't sure if she trusted the woman yet. Claire looked over her shoulder at them curiously for a moment, her green eyes having taken on a brighter color since last night. It was amazing what a warm bath and full belly could do for the soul. After a moment, Star finally pulled away. "You should be aware that Killian is even less trusting than I am. He'll be friendly, but don't expect a warm joyous reunion."
Slightly taken back she nodded. "I imagine he is. It would only make sense." Belen still wanted very much to be his mother, but it seemed that his wife was doing a good job of guarding his heart for him. "And what do you think now? Do you find the Chippeqouti as a whole quite terrible. After all those experiences?"

"There are horrible chippequoti, and wonderful chippequoti. Just like there are horrible humans and wonderful humans. I find it unwise to judge a whole species based on a handful...however, I do deem the gillicks wholly evil. I have not met one good one yet." Her eyes narrowed at the memories.
"Good." The woman abruptly stood. "Then you have not made up your mind about us. Tell me what you'll need for your husband when he arrives."
"We have food, access to medicine. He'll probably need a few days to sleep and recuperate before he'll be able to hold a proper conversation with you. Most of all, we'll need your patience as we readjust and heal."
Carefully she nodded. "Do you need for us to arrange for a separate house? Morgan and I can leave for a few days. It is important that you don't move Chippeqouti children too much when they are young. They become wanderers otherwise."
Star chuckled. "That would explain Killian's wanderlust. Uh, a house of our own would be nice, yes."
"Then I will get Morgan out of his study when Killian returns. It's like pulling teeth. If you haven't noticed already a Chippeqouti man is very set in his ways." Belen couldn't help the smile that came to her face. "Your children will be very healthy. I see that you work hard to learn about us and you've taken good care of the children." She couldn't say much about the way Star took are of Killian for the first few years. The book had already shown a slew of errors, but it seemed that Star knew as much as Killian did. Perhaps more since he constantly rejected his people.
Star nodded. "Thankyou. That means alot. A part of me always worried that they would lack something vital I didn't know to give them. Claire almost died because of that, as you know if you read." She looked down tenderly at the children then back up at Belen. "I'm always open to learning more...if you have suggestions."
The woman nodded. "I read. It was quite remarkable what that doctor could do. You did your best all things considered." She couldn't expect them to do fantastic on the first round. Then it seemed that the woman had opened up just a tiny bit. Star had asked her for suggestions. It was essentially the same as asking for advice. "Hold them often. If you raise a Chippeqouti child gently they will not be violent when they grow up. It may not completely eliminate a wild streak, but they won't turn out like my son. I'm afraid he is in part like his step father." She'd read the book and part of her was afraid that Star was enough now to keep him away from it all, but would she be later in life?
Star smiled. "I already do. Killian holds them too. Mikey especially is a cuddle bug."
"Very good." The woman carefully started toward the doorway to the living room. "I will go now and let you have time with the children. In case he is my son I am glad that you have guarded his heart so well."

Star nodded and smiled gently as the woman left. She was nicer than she expected. She truly did hope that these people were Killian's true family. It would bring more healing to him, or so she hoped.

Kato wandered about the camp early that morning, checking on patients he'd treated the night before. Most seemed to be recovering well, though he knew all the men were tired and wanting to return to their families...if they had any left. He wanted to return to Anna as well. In the night he'd dreamed that he hadn't been able to save Joseph. That the boy had died and his blood was on his hands. Now he was terrified that his young son hadn't gotten the proper treatment he needed, and that was laying in some bed, dying...while he was stuck here in the middle of a war with the most brutal race he'd ever encountered.

He took a breath and looked up at the sky, knowing that any time now the officers would gather the men for a second push on the planet. More would die, more would be injured, and more families would be left without fathers. He hoped that he wouldn't be one of them.

Killian woke up at a little after dawn. He had been careful not to lay the injured part of his jaw on the ground. Today it wasn't quite as swollen, but it was bruised and he hurt on that side. Looked like Kato was making his rounds like a good doctor. From appearances it seemed that Kato slept about as well as anyone else. If it wasn't something about the war it was some other fear or simply the discomfort of laying out in the open weather. Nights were still cold.

The humming of a ship sounded in the distance and the captain yelled. "Hurry up men. Get to the shelters." It wasn't one of their own. If it was it would be heading the other direction. Instantly the entire field turned into a mass of bodies that flung themselves for trenches, shelters, or anything in sight that could provide some kind of refuge. With the drop of the first bomb a fountain of dirt was tossed into the air and the thick black soil covered the men in its perimeter. Killian carefully peered over the edge of the pit he was in and he could see a man out in the field crying for help. He was missing a leg and it looked like he was mostly stunned. They would be needing a medical evacuation after this round.

Behind him a communications unit started to set up their equipment to dial in their own fighters. While they were busy Killian jumped over the edge of the pit to drag the man back. The ship was circling back and he ducked as the first bomb hit the ground several hundred yards away. Bits of rock pelted him, but he could still see the man on the ground. "Sit up so I can see you." Yelling to the man Killian paused where he was at until he saw the hand waving from behind the smoke and dust. Running over to the figure Killian plucked him from the ground and rolled him into the pit before he heard another cry. Those caught out in the field cried desperately for help and he couldn't quite justify saving only one man when it would just be a matter of seconds before he could reach another. A ship coming from an opposing direction sounded in the distance. They were close to being able to evacuate the area and continue on across the planet. As the enemy approached again Killian could see they were dropping bombs far enough away he didn't have too much to worry about.

One of the Gillicks in the battle ship saw the lone figure racing across the field and he motioned to a sniper to take the man out. It would ruin their moral if the doctor was dead. Who else would be running to save men left in the open?

Before Killian could reach the second man a shot fired out and he hit the ground. Pushing himself up he spit the dirt out of his mouth and started to rise to his feet when he rose it was almost an instant searing pain that ran through his shoulder and into his arm. The first time they had missed, but this time it was a definite hit. Killian ran for the man and pulled him off the ground while racing for the nearest pit. He was almost there when another shot and it caught his hip at an angle. Tumbling into the pit he grimaced. "Damn these wars." It felt like getting shot was becoming a painful habit and Killian tried to relax enough for some of the other soldiers to help him turn and pull his medical kit out of his pack. Each man had to carry his own emergency kit to help sustain him till a doctor could be found to asses them and request a medical evacuation.

A ship hummed overhead as it came through with guns blazing. Both the Gillick and coalition ship circled around and then seemed to retreat. Neither was prepared to lose a ship this time around. The captain started working his way through the men to see how many others he lost for the fighting. "We've managed to cut off the Gillicks' supply route and their defeat in inevitable. Also means that we can make a medical evacuation." The man remembered the deal with Killian and he glanced at Kato. "A few of the men are in bad shape. We need a doctor on board to ensure they make the journey, we don't have the time or space to get them stable before they leave." Didn't matter much what shape the doctor was in. Just as long as he could think and talk. If he needed help treating the many patients or if he was injured a soldier could go with to act as an aid and do as the doctor instructed.

**********************************************************************************

Anna sat in the hospital day after day. She ran her fingers gently through her boys' hair. They were such precious little guys. "Joseph...Joseph." Calling the youngest son's name softly she waited for his little eyes to flutter open. "I have some pudding for you." It was something light since he still seemed to struggle to keep anything down. The boy was nauseous so much of the time and she felt badly for him.

Almost immediately Jacob piped up. "When is dad going to come home?" He frowned slightly at his mother's answer. "I want him to come back!" Seeing anger like this was something that Anna knew would come along. Her little men had suffered so much and now that they were past the misery of survival only they needed more than food and their mother. "Jacob your dad will come back as soon as he can. Tell you what. Let's think of some nice things we could do for a party. Dad likes cake, letters, and research stuff. What if we get a pad to do some shopping so Joseph can help us pick out a few things huh?" It seemed to get both the boys calmed down a little for the time.

Inwardly she sighed. There was a chance that Kato wouldn't come back. If he didn't then she didn't know what she would do. Who else would want her if she came with two sons and she wasn't going to leave them in some orphanage just so she could get married. Then there was the challenge of men. As much as Anna loved to have the company of a man and especially at night she knew that it wouldn't be good for them to see a man that wasn't their father living with her if he didn't want the boys too. Just stop. Nothing is going to happen to Kato. Anna constantly tried to remind herself not to think like that. She needed Kato to come back to her.

***********************************************************************************

A message came through with an update on the pad. Belen anxiously leaned over Morgan's shoulder when he said that they received news from the captain. She knew that more than likely Star had already seen the message on her pad as well. "Morgan...." She stared at the man for a moment and then rushed out the door. "Star!" Calling to the woman she made her way to the living room. "Did you get the news?" It sounded like there would be at least a week in the hospital. Pre-departure scans showed a bit of damage to the shoulder. It had been large aircraft rounds and nothing short of a miracle that it hadn't taken his whole arm off. The leg was in bad shape though not quite as bad as the arm. "We'll take care of the children if you need. They can stay here and we'll bring them for visits when you want them to come by."

It was perhaps one of the few ways that she and Morgan could be of help. Maybe it would be a good chance to bond with their son. If it had been possible she would have wanted this to be a happier time. Morgan came through the door shortly after. He was far more quiet by nature and he nodded to Star. "We'll be wherever you need. Belen," carefully he rested a hand on her elbow, "We can give her some time to herself."

Last edited:
Kato was re bandaging a man's leg when he heard the commander cry out for them to take cover. He grabbed his patient under the arm and rushed him to a nearby ditch, dropping him inside just at the first bombs fell. He hit the ground, rolling into the ditch as dirt showered down like rain. He could hear men screaming for help beyond the ditch. Those who hadn't gotten to safety in time. He sat up, determined to help when his head swam and his vision blurred.

Someone touched his shoulder. "Dr. Kato! We need help."
Kato blinked and looked to his left at the man with a missing leg. He crawled over to the man and began putting a tight tourniquet around what was left of his leg so he didn't bleed out. Out of the corner of his eye he glimpsed Killian laying bloodied in the trench just beyond him. He was fully aware and grimacing, but had clearly been wounded in his shoulder and hip. That man was just a magnet for bullets.

No sooner had he finished the tourniquet then another man was begging for his aid. Kato could see the man writhing in pain but could see no visible injuries. He blinked, mentally commanding his implant to activate the x-ray vision. All he got was a searing pain in his skull and then everything went dark in that eye. He groaned, holding a hand over the eye that was burning. That last hit must've damaged his implant. He felt a trickle of warmth rolling down his cheek. He touched it and looked down at his hand finding blood. That wasn't a good sign.

"Doctor, your eye." One of the soldiers exclaimed. Kato looked up at the man with his left eye.
"I know. Don't worry about me. Help the next person." He instinctively ducked as gun shots sounded over the ditch then faded. The soldier in front of him stiffened and saluted. Kato looked over his shoulder as the Captain approached him. "A few of the men are in bad shape. We need a doctor on board to ensure they make the journey, we don't have the time or space to get them stable before they leave."
"Yes, Sir." Kato responded.

The moment the medevac ship arrived Kato was walking aboard with about a dozen other men, including Killian. He counted himself lucky to be getting out sooner rather than later, but oh what a price was being paid for that. He tied a bandage over his damaged eye and went to work stabilizing as many men as he could. Three died before they landed in at a station with an actual hospital.

Kato's headaches were growing increasingly worse, as if someone had stabbed his brain. He couldn't help but feel it was because of his damaged implant that those men had died. He hadn't been moving as fast as he could've. Another shot of pain hit his head as he walked down the corridor with the other injured. He grunted, losing all balance and dropping to the floor.
"Dr. Kato! Nurse!" Someone cried from behind him and that was last he remembered.
There was a pounding sensation in the back of Kato's mind as he came to. A pressure around his head made him nauseous. He could tell by the way he felt that he was on some sort of drug for the pain. The steady beep of a monitor told him he was in a real hospital bed. He heard a male voice talking, barely picking up the words. "...3 seizures before we found the damaged implant...surgery to remove his eye...needs time to recover before another impla..." The voice faded as his mind fell into darkness yet again.

*******************************************************************************************

Star paled as Belen rushed to her with the news about Killian. He was injured, but not lethally, and he was being sent to a nearby station with a hospital. She almost had to laugh. That man...always finding a way to survive and come back to her, even if it was in a hospital bed. "We'll take care of the children if you need. They can stay here and we'll bring them for visits when you want them to come by."
Star immediately agreed. She needed to be with Killian, and the last few days they'd so far proven to be trustworthy. She still didn't trust them fully...but Killian needed her. She would've packed an overnight bag but she owned nothing at the moment. Instead she packed some snacks, kissed the children goodbye and hurried to the nearest ship that would take her to the hospital where Killian was located.

By the time she arrived he'd just come out of surgery and was resting peacefully. Star sat beside him, kissing his hand and smiling gently. "Thankyou for coming back to me. Just wish you'd do it in one piece one of these days."

Killian tried not to complain while on the ship. Even if Kato had covered his eye it didn't hide the bloody streak that had run down his face or the bit of blood that had begun to stain the bandage over his eye. By the way the doctor moved it was obvious that his head hurt. Always trying to keep his head at the same angle. Part way through there was a chance to rest and the ship didn't vibrate quite as badly. Drifting into a fitful sleep after the shot of morphine Killian woke again when the ship started to vibrate as they prepared for landing.

It felt like the blood was getting shook right out of him. Killian could have sworn he felt his bandages get hot and wet all over again. Gingerly he reached for his shoulder to try and support it during the jostling and they finally landed. Those in critical condition were moved out first and then he was taken out shortly before Kato. Before he left he patted Kato's arm as they rolled him by. "You get back to Anna and those kids." Gritting his teeth a little he felt them start down the ramp and all the treads on it to keep men from slipping again rattled through the gurney though it was a little better since this time he was laying on a mattress. He was barely in a trauma unit and they were cutting his clothes off and Killian groaned when the doctor started to make the quick physical exam before initiating the emergency scans and having a nurse scrub him down for surgery.

When he woke he vaguely remembered seeing a doctor or nurse in a mask talking to him about his family or someone. "Ok." Mumbling he turned his head and went back to sleep. Apparently that family comment indicated that Star was here because when he opened his eyes Star was there and she held onto his hand. "Uh huh...I liked me. I mean uh...You wanted me back sooner than later. Longer I was out there more my chances of getting killed went up. Besides I opted for the little ones. My other choice was to get hit with a bomb."

Star couldn't help but laugh at his snark. "At least your brain is still intact." She rubbed his arm. "Looks like I'll have another baby to take care of for a couple weeks...if not months."

"Mmmhmmm." Momentarily he agreed with her till the rest of what she said finally caught up. He was still a little foggy after coming out of the surgery. "I don't need no damn bottles this time." Grumbling a little he tried to shift in the bed and he winced. His shoulder hurt and the muscles were already getting spasms. "Can I have you put that other pillow over there on the shelf under my elbow?"

"Sure." Star got up and retrieved the pillow, gently putting it under his arm. "The kids have been asking for you. I told them you would be coming home soon."

"Are they all ok?" Killian was a little concerned especially after what Kato told him about Joseph. "Nobody got hurt or anything?" Struggling to sit up a little he was interrupted. The nurse sighed when she glanced at the monitor. Of course the one being rowdy out of surgery was going to be a Chippeqouti. They usually were the culprits. Walking into the room she gently pushed him back down. "You need to settle down a little bit and sleep ok?" Reluctantly Killian listened to her and laid back in the bed while Star answered him. Sleep was so easy and he breathed deeply for a few minutes before he stopped breathing entirely. The nurse sighed "Hey you need to remember to breath." Waking up again he groggily looked at her and frowned. "I know how to breathe just fine." Almost as soon as he went to sleep it was a few minutes later and he stopped breathing again. "Its just sleep apnea and it happens to some patients after surgery. Should wear off in a few hours. In the mean time....You need to breathe." Speaking a little louder she woke him up again.
Star nearly panicked the first time he stopped breathing, but the nurse was completely calm about it. "Why don't you just put a respirator on him or something? Clearly you waking him up after telling him to sleep isn't working."

The woman shrugged. "This is perfectly normal and unfortunately if he doesn't breathe putting oxygen on him doesn't change that. Just the first few hours he'll be groggy and this should become less frequent. Don't worry if you need to get up. We can see his monitors at the station and we'll wake him up to breathe again if he stops."
All of Star's nerves were on edge. This woman was being incredibly casual about something she considered pretty darn serious. She bit her lip and looked back at Killian, watching him like a hawk.

After about 2-3 hours Killian woke up and this time he felt more lively. A little nap helped and he glanced to the side to see Star was still there. "Hey.." Sounded like she had to wake him up a few times and he didn't really remember it. "Where are the kids at?"

Star raised her eyebrows in a you wouldn't believe me gesture. "With...your parents...At least, they claim to be your parents. They may very well be."

"Nooo." Killian frowned at her and shook his head. "I told you I don't have any family." Star did seem to be pretty serious about this. "Well what do they look like?"

"Like you...they knew your backstory...even the stuff I didn't put in the book." Star shrugged. "They seemed genuine..."

It felt like he was going to break his brain to think how this was possible. "How do they know that? I'm the only one that knows that unless Sasha hired a bunch idiots to play my parents."

Star shrugged. "Just...wait until you meet them before you jump to any conclusions. I'm still not certain about them either but...so far they've not really given me a reason to doubt them." She sighed and rubbed her eyes. "At least we're finally out of this mess. You should see the kids, they're finally happy and Zach is looking much better. They eat like five times a day." She chuckles.

Either lost his memory or she hadn't answered his question. All he remembered was her talking about his parents. "But where are the kids?"

"With the people claiming to be your parents." Star said again.

It was like De'javue. Suddenly it seemed that she'd said that before, but he couldn't remember if she had or hadn't. "If the nurse says its ok I'd like to see them. If she doesn't say its ok just wear a ran coat and have them hide under it."

Star chuckled. "I'll bring them tomorrow. For now, you just get some rest." She kissed his forehead gently.

"I don't need to rest." Protesting the order he tried to sit up again and this time he could feel it all in his shoulder and hip. Laying himself back he frowned a little. "Is it past visiting hours? Is that why I have to wait?"

"You have to wait cause they aren't close by. The ship flight was about an hour." Star was getting a little concerned with how he was behaving. She was going to just about die if he started having the same memory problems again. "Killian. Please, lay down and try to rest. You're going to hurt yourself. "

Almost rolling his eyes he sighed. "I'm resting." It was hard to do when he wanted to see the kids and get out of the hospital. "Are you leaving tonight? Might be better to instead of leaving them alone with those people." So far he didn't know if he wanted to even dare call those Chippeqouti his parents. It was such an odd thing and his head hurt, there was so much information all coming at him. Usually this was a volume he could handle, but he felt so foggy headed and everything was much harder to keep track of.

"Yeah. I was thinking that as well, but I had to come check on you." She stroked his hand. "I'll stay until you fall asleep."

A smirk came to his face. "Damn it. That won't take long with my record today. I could race a narcoleptic and still sleep faster." Gradually he started to drift off and he knew she would be leaving. He would be in the hospital alone. Killian's only experience with that was at the games. It was a mildly disturbing place to be all by oneself, but he was too drugged up to care and he almost felt the same way here.

"Are you Anna Jones?" A nurse walked into the room and asked her. Though she already knew this was Anna she had to confirm it before giving her the news. "Your husband came in today. He was..."

Anna cut her off. "I'll step out with you for a few minutes." Once they were in the hall Anna covered her mouth with one hand and did her best to hold back the immediate response. After a few seconds she was able to compose herself and she poked her head back into the boy's room. Rushing inside she made sure that Joseph was asleep and she looked at Jacob. "I'm going to call a nurse to come sit with you two for a few minutes ok?" She didn't want to tell them about their dad. It sounded like he was doing poorly and that was the last thing the boys needed for now.

Almost running down the halls she came to the elevator and marched straight for the desk outside of the ICU. "I'm here to see Kato Jones."

"I'm sorry ma'am only immediate family."

"I'm his wife!" Anna put her hands on the desk. "How much more immediate can I get?" The startled woman opened the doors to give Anna access to the ICU and she read the numbers on the walls next to the doorways till she came to his. Carefully Anna peered around the corner and pushed the curtain back so that she could see him. Kato ha a big patch over his eye and it looked like he had a few different bags of fluids hooked up to him.

Almost silently she stepped over to his side at the bed and leaned over to kiss him gently on the lips. "Hey honey I came to see you."

It was a sweet thing to be awoken with a kiss on the lips. He blinked open his left eye, managing a weak smile. "Anna...how's Joseph?"

"He's just fine. The doctors got him taken care of ." Anna stayed where she was at since the patch over his other eye obviously made it impossible for him to see her from that end. "You better not get any sexier or I'll be thinking wild thoughts even if you are in the ICU unit. Pirate patch and all that." Giving a little growl she made a pretend claw with her one hand so he could see it.

Kato chuckled lightly, wincing as it made his head pound. His hand moved to rest on her leg. "How are you? Where are you guys staying?"

Taking a deep breath she sighed. "Just a couple floors down. Nurses have been giving Jacob some supplements to get him to a healthy weight and Joseph is still under surveillance." Resting one of her hands over his she rubbed the back of his hand gently. "If I check with the nurses do you think you'd be up to seeing the boys for just a few minutes tomorrow?"

Kato had to remind himself not to nod. "Yeah. I'd like that." They were going to find out about his patch sooner or later anyway. He could feel himself drifting but he forced his eye back open. "Hey, Anna...we made it." He smiled.

A grin came to her face. "We did." Carefully leaning over him she kissed Kato again. "I'll have to go back down with the boys again. They're pretty needy you know."

Kato chuckled. "Make sure they eat well. They deserve it after everything they've through. You too."

"Doing our best to take advantage of everything we get." Anna didn't want to tell him about Joseph hardly eating since the back injury. Poor kid was having a hard time getting an appetite with the drugs they had him on. "Goodbye." Blowing him a kiss she stood and started for the door. Once she was in the elevator Anna let the tears run freely down her face. All of it was her fault. Now Kato had that stupid patch and it was obvious by the way he was laying that it hurt to even move. Whatever had gone wrong with the implant had left him open for serious infections and even potentially permanent blindness in his other eye as well.

The next morning she had one of the nurses help her put Joseph into a wheel chair and she took both boys up to see their dad. They were excited to see him and they had the balloons, book of stickers, and a stuffed bear that they insisted on getting him after she told them he got hurt. Almost immediately both boys wowed at the pirate patch. Anna had congratulated herself on preparing them for that part.

Joseph gingerly put a card into Kato's hand. "I got you some stickers too inside."

While the boys busily imparted all their exciting news of the stuff they got at the hospital and everything they saw Anna tied the balloons to Kato's bed where he could see them. Before leaving she smirked. "Next you know I'll be bringing you flowers and serenading you."

Belen and Morgan couldn't help showing some concern when Star returned and she was taking the children. Still they had not been invited to see him. Morgan was about to ask Star a small question when Belen blurted loudly. "Well how is he?"

Star looked up at Belen as she demanded to how Killian was. "His arm and leg were hurt but he's been through worse and come out stronger. He'll be fine." She says casually, though in reality she was more concerned than she was letting on. The round that had struck his shoulder would've likely killed a normal man. "When is daddy coming home!?" Claire demanded.
"He's in the hospital right, baby girl." Star knelt before her daughter and ran her fingers through her curls. "We're all going to see him tomorrow. So you all be good and go to sleep real quick."
Claire and Mikey nodded, racing up to their rooms. Zach still had the sullen look on his face. "Did he get shot? Is he going to be ok?"
"Yeah, kid. He'll be fine." Star kissed his forehead, ruffling his blond hair and walking him up to the bedroom. "You sleeping ok?"
Zach shrugged. She knew he was having nightmares but he was trying to pretend to be strong. "The dreams will fade in time. Your daddy and I get them too."
"You do?"
She nodded. "Yup. If you ever have a really bad dream, come into bed with us. You're safe now, promise."

Later that night, Zach did crawl in bed with her, tears streaming down his face. He clung to her, burying his face in her chest as he cried and Star gently rubbed his back. "Shh, you're ok. We're ok. We're safe." She continued to caress his hair and rub his back until he finally fell back asleep. It pained her to know her children were still suffering the after effects of this war. They didn't deserve that sort of pain. She wondered how Anna, Kato and the children were doing. Had they gotten out alright? Had they been killed? She'd have to see if she could find a way to locate or contact them.

In the morning she gathered the children and took them to see Killian. She planned to make a day of it. They all needed new clothes and personal items. And now that they had access to their account again, she could tap into savings and do just that. She took all the children to get one new outfit that they could wear for their dad before they went to see him, promising that they would come back and finish shopping later. Her new outfit was a lovely purple top with a low neckline and a comfortable jeans. Claire's was a bright yellow dress that she had insisted upon, while Mikey's was a blue shirt with a spaceship on it and blue pants to match. Zach simply didn't care so she got him a green polka-dotted shirt and jeans.

It took longer than she would've liked and they didn't make back to Killian till about noon but they were looking marvelous. She bought all the kids lunch to go so they could eat with Killian. "Hey hun." She trotted into the room with a grin and planted a kiss on his lips. "Got the kids some much needed new outfits. "Got you one to for when you get out." She put the box on the shelf. "And we brought lunch. Like real lunch." She opened a box filled with sandwiches and other finger-food treats. "I made sure to get plenty so eat as much as you want." She smiled and laughed at the children as they told him all about their new house and the t.v. and how Star had promised to get them a dog of their own when they got settled. Star shrugged. She'd seen how much they'd loved Lucy. And part of her had fallen in love with the dog as well.

It all ended too soon and she had to pack up the boxes left over from lunch. She left a few cupcakes hidden for him next to the bed for him to steal when he wanted. "I'll be back with the kids tomorrow. We're going to go shopping for some things. You want me to get anything for you?"

Kato, being the doctor that he was, insisted on seeing his medical chart. They had done a complete removal of his implant which also included his eye due to it being so thoroughly attached. He read through detailed procedure, mentally nodding his approval. Then there was an added note at the bottom that caused his heart to clench. Signs of degradation and possible failure in implants 324, 676, and 924. Tagged for further follow up. So it wasn't just the explosion that had done this...his implants were failing, as he suspected they might after the chip-blood procedure. They weren't designed to handle those sorts of enzymes. Though, they'd held out longer than he'd suspected, they were going to have to removed. He suspected that his body would be just fine without them, with the chippequoti blood and all...but there was still a chance that the disease would regain a foothold when they were removed.

He sighed, laying back, and setting the chart down. One of the implants was in his spine, attached to his parts of his nervous system. With the growth of his bones he didn't even know if they could even get it out now. Either way, the procedure would leave him laid up for a few extra weeks. Weeks that Anna needed him to be strong and up to help with Joseph. While he contemplated the best course of action, Anna came in with Jacob and Joseph. Kato grinned at them.

It was good to see his boys, even if it was just with one eye. They seemed awed by the "pirate patch" something he to thank for Anna for. Kato chuckled at the boys showing him their drawings and stickers and putting the stuffed bear next to his head. He hated to see Joseph so weak and in obvious pain, sitting in that over sized wheel chair. His poor boy. Still, he smiled for them. Anna tied balloons to the bed post and teased him about serenading him next time. Kato smirked. "Sounds like a date." He took her hand and pulled it to his lips, giving her a gentle kiss. "I love you. I'll be out of this bed in the next few days. Promise."

Belen nodded and she glanced at Morgan. The report they received had seemed to be a little more severe. "Maybe you'll know more after tomorrow." She wanted very badly to tell Star that it sounded like she had made light of the situation. It sounded as if the woman thought of him as a sort of indestructible person and while Chippeqouti could seem that way they were far from it.

It seemed that there was a rising tension and Morgan decided to say something before Belen went much further with her comments. "We'll consider moving out a few days early so that you have a chance to relax with the children. Perhaps in a few days we will come by to see how you and the children are doing." Handing Star a pad he nodded carefully. "You can contact us if you need anything, or if you would like us to watch the children for an afternoon." He knew that she would likely want to see Killian without the children. Even while he was offering this Belen was about ready to burst. As he turned Morgan pushed her gently in front of himself. It was difficult to be so close to their long lost son and yet not be welcome to see him yet. So far what had proven to be equally difficult was the constant question in their minds. Was it Star or Killian that had decided now was too early? Perhaps it was too early considering the stress of circumstances.

The day seemed to drag and fly at the same time. Drugs made it seem that way. For the time that he slept it seemed that more should have passed and yet it was afternoon before he had even realized. Killian held one hand over the button on the side of the bed to help himself sit up. "Oh the...." Gradually his eyebrows raised and he noticed that Claire was twirling as she stepped into the room. Most of all he noted Star and her shirt. "You look good. I uh....Wow." As much as he knew he needed to keep this PG, Killian did catch himself looking at the low scoop of the shirt. "So how about that?" He was trying to get back on track here and pay some attention to the kids.

Their youngest had raced from the group and Mikey nearly crashed into the bed in his attempt to show off his shirt. "Dad I got a spaceship!" Yelling loudly he tried to pull his shirt out from his chest and then Claire skipped up and started to twirl and dance around showing him her dress. Killian grunted a little at the box of clothing from Star. "I won't need nothing like that for a few days."

It seemed that Star just planned for lunch and Killian was already tired, but he didn't want to see them leave yet. "Wait a minute. Before you all head out I need a hug from everyone." With a little help the kids were able to get onto his bed and as long as they were careful of his injuries. Little Mike and Zach were careful while Claire was far more curious about the injuries and she gingerly put her hands over over his shoulder. Taking a sharp breath the little girl exclaimed "Owie...Oh daddy owie." Grunting a little he pulled her hands away from his shoulder and he pulled her into a tight hold with his one good arm. Growling like a monster he gave her a few kisses on top of her head and the girl giggled as she gave a tiny struggle. "Ok now you need to make room so mom can kiss me." Claire gave a little pout, but she made way.

Of course Star was more concerned about him needing anything and he smirked. "Oh I've got plenty of needs, but we should wait. Wouldn't want to shock the poor nurse." Holding out his good arm he gave Star a gentle one armed hug and then kissed her. "You'll come back tomorrow right?"

Star smirked. "Naw, I think I'll just wait till you're better." She teased. "Of course I'm coming back tomorrow. Want me to bring the kids again?"

"Yeah bring the kids." Killian frowned a little. "Waiting that long could be uh...That's a long time." He glanced at the kids. "Where are all of you staying?" There had to be a separate room. If there wasn't he was sure that he would find someone to take the kids for a day. All bandaged up or not there had to be a way to make this happen.

"I'm going ask if there is temporary housing for family members of injured soldiers here on the station. If there isn't I'll take us to a hotel on the station. Its closer than traveling back and forth from the planet." Star replied.

Suddenly it all started to make sense and his eyes got wide. "Oh shit...You're staying with them." The idea of people claiming to be his parents being in the same house was a bit odd. "Yeah we need someplace else."

Claire totally unaware of what was going on piped in. "We need to go to the park!"

Star chuckled and ruffled Claire's hair. "We will, little one. Soon." She looked back up at Killian. "Yes, we're staying with Belen and Morgan. They've been hosting us since we escaped the siege."

Sitting up in the bed he rubbed his face with the one good hand and noticed that the nurse must have trimmed the beard that had begun to form. He really wanted to shave. "What the hell do they want?" Why would a Chippeqouti family claim to be his parents and then want to house his wife and children? There had to be some kind of ulterior motive and it scared him. "I want to talk with these people. Can't have them using you like some sort of pawn to get to me."

"Like I'd let them." Star raised an eyebrow at him. "I'm not that naive. At the worst they are avid fans of my book and are confusing you with another son. At the best they truly are your parents and are willing to help us. Only time and maybe a dna test will tell the truth. For now though, I say we give them the benefit of the doubt and let them help us until we can get back on our feet."

Clenching his jaw he glanced at the kids and then back to Star. "Well I still don't like it." It wasn't quite like he got a choice, but he wasn't sure what to think of the fact that they could actually be his parents.

Star rubbed his arm gently. "Hey...just focus on getting better. I can take care of myself and the kids until you're back on your feet. We'll be fine. Promise. In the meantime I'll see if they are willing to submit to a blood test to find out the truth...if you want."

"Yeah a blood test might help." Killian was a little worried. "What the hell kind of people are they if they are my parents?" Suddenly that idea of being normal and having a mom and dad seemed to be terrifying. Maybe it would have been easier to try and imagine what his parents would have been like. He already figured that they were likely cold and distant folk. They left him with a whore after all and he lived a semi rough life because of it.

"They are actually really nice. Heck, I'd like 'em for parents. Turns out your father comes from a clan that is alot more like humans than Chips, and your mother...while originally from quoti fell in love with their lifestyle and left her original husband for him. They claim they were looking for anyone who would watch out for you, in case they were killed before getting back to Morgan's planet. Sasha happened to be the only one willing. Belen claims she didn't know Sasha was a prostitute and seemed horrified by the revelation of it. I don't know, Killian. If they really are your parents, you' might've struck gold."

Shaking his head he grumbled. "No...no they're lying." Killian shifted in his bed. "I need to sleep." He was too tired to talk about this anymore and she was threatening a long held image in his mind, a picture that had been some consolation. If they were cold and indifferent people then what happened to him wasn't a big deal.

"Ok." Star kissed his forehead. "Rest well, love." She ushered the children out already planning to ask for the blood test.

A sad smile spread over Anna's face. Kato was a terrible liar. It didn't look like he would be out of the hospital in a few days. If they had to remove his implant than she was guessing that they would be trying to find a way with the surgery to possibly put in a new eye. Maybe they had an implant that would replace this last one. Even if they didn't she wouldn't love Kato any less.

Taking the boys back to their hospital room Anna made sure they fell asleep before she stepped out for a few minutes. Shuffling through the hall she took herself to the gardens outside. Anna sat on one of the benches and watched the sunset for only a few seconds before she started to cry. This war had been so close and she'd never been as worried as she was now about the welfare of her family. Being threatened as adults was one thing. The children being threatened and then her youngest being shot was another. She would have gladly traded places with Joseph. Any mother would rather spare her child that kind of suffering.

By the time she came back into the hospital room she saw that the nurses were helping the boys eat their dinner. She was torn internally. What if she couldn't stand to be in this room and watch them suffer one more night? What if she couldn't stand to see Kato like that one more time. He had to be ashamed of her and all that she had accomplished. So far the only great thing she could say she'd done for their family was get Kato nearly killed and made a grand attempt to see Joseph get killed too. Anna quietly took a seat and she began eating a the food set on a platter for her. The nurses seemed to have caught onto that much. Momentarily Anna had an idea come to her mind. What if she ran away? It would be the perfect time to get away before Kato came to his senses and realized what kind of person he had married. She was still so messed up and she couldn't come back to him until she was the kind of person that he needed.

At the same time a nagging feeling began to sneak into her heart. If Kato was all alone he might not be able to find someone to watch the kids. Finishing her meal Anna took herself out of the room and to the nurse station again. "I need to talk to Kato Jones' doctor." Anna wanted to know exactly what was going on. Not just the lame story that her husband was giving her.

Last edited:
Dr. Lance stood from his desk as a short worried woman entered his office. His 1'oclock appointment. "Mrs. Jones?" He held out a hand. "I'm Dr. Lance, your husband's doctor for the duration of his stay here. The nurse said you had some questions for me?"
Stepping into the office Anna shook the doctor's hand and then she took a seat. "I'm here because I need to know what is going on with Kato. How bad is he? Don't spare me any detail."
"Honestly, your husband is doing quite well for a man coming off the battlefield." He pulled out his datapad looking up Kato's chart. "The surgery went smoothly and there are no signs of infection. He'll be a prime candidate for a prosthetic eye in a month or so. Depending on what you can afford, there's a chance we can give him an eye that will restore 60 to 70% of his vision in that orb.

Um...let's see. Oh yes, after finding his eye implant I scanned for others and discovered three other implants in his body all of which were showing degradation. They were supposed to be permanents designed to slow the acceleration of Progeria syndrome but the enzymes in his blood have caused them to be worn down. He'll need surgery soon to remove them before they become toxic."
Anna took a deep breath and she listened to the man. She couldn't help feeling that it was a bit more severe than what he made it sound like. "Well I don't understand all this medical stuff. I think that maybe you should describe to me how much work or risk there would be involved with removing the other implants. Does he even have signs of Progeria remaining?" After all this time she was terrified that maybe it hadn't reversed all the way. What if he relapsed?
"There are still markers of it in his blood, yes. In fact he should've aged and died long ago. Even implants wouldn't have been able to prolong him this long. I'm assuming the near halt of the progression of his disease is due the Chippequoti blood in his system? I've never seen anything like it, so I truly can not give you an definitive answer of the risk involved on that end of things. What I do know however is that 2 of the three implants should be easy removals. The third however seems to be compacted between two bones. That one will be much more difficult to remove. Depending on how much of the bone we have to move or scrap down, he could be laid up for a few extra weeks."

The doctor leaned back in his chair. "All in all, he is a very lucky man. If he hadn't been brought in when he had, the implant in his eye would've degraded within the next few months, to the point where it would've poisoned his brain, and he may very well have died, not even knowing there was something wrong with it. You might even say the injury is a blessing in disguise."
Swallowing hard she nodded. "A blessing in disguise as you say." She wasn't sure if she should be happy about it. Anna was pleased that Kato would be ok. Somehow she always knew that she would love him. On the other hand it meant that he would have time to be objective and he might not feel the same about it all. "How soon till you remove the other implants?" Hopefully it was sooner than later. Before leaving she needed to make sure that he was ok. Maybe there would be a chance to talk about this.
"That will depend on him. We can do it as soon as there is a surgery slot open with someone who specializes with implants or we can wait a couple months. Though, I would highly recommend having them removed as soon as possible to minimize the risk."
Anna stood and began walking for the door to his office. "Good, that was all I wanted to know." Now all she had to do was make sure Kato had it done sooner rather than later. The boys would need him and she could make sure that they were alright before she left.

Kato walked around the hospital gardens, a cane his right hand to help him keep balance and not hit anything he couldn't see. It was a blessing to be out in fresh clean air, where the sun was bright and the future was hopeful.
"Dr. Kato?"
Kato turned to see a man in a wheelchair, missing a leg. Despite his condition he beamed at the doctor. "I was hoping I'd see you. You helped save my life in the ditch that day. You and that chip. I wanted to thank you." He held out his hand. Kato shook it. "My pleasure. I'm glad I was able to help." Kato looked up as Anna and the children came into the gardens, no doubt looking for him. "Excuse me...my family is here."
"Of course."
"Anna, Jacob, Joseph. My beautiful family!" Kato beamed. He gave Anna a kiss and knelt before the boys, giving them hugs and kisses. Gentle ones for Joseph. "How are my brave boys? Is that a new dinosaur toy?" He chuckled then stood. He put an arm lovingly around Anna's waist.
"Don't think I've forgotten that promise I wrote you. Pick any place you want to go in the galaxy for a vacation, and we'll go." He said. "Then when Joseph is better and my eye is fixed, we'll go somewhere with just the two of us."

********************************************************************************************
Star spent the next several days taking the children to various treats around the station like movies, arcades and pools between visits with Killian. She sent in a request to Belen and Morgan for them to submit to a blood test and send it to the hospital for a dna test. They had agreed and now she was just waiting on the results. She wasn't sure what they were going to do if they actually did turn out to be his parents. Killian looked determined to not want to believe that they were his family. She wasn't sure why. Either way, she hoped it turned out. Star got the results via email on her datapad and her eyes widened. She gathered the children and they went to see Killian.

"I got the results from the blood test. Do you want to see?" She asked upon entering the room later that afternoon.
"No. Just tell me." Killian didn't really want to see. He was going to meet them later on anyway.
"99.9% positive match to your blood, Killian." She said.
Holding his thumb over the button to recline the bed Killian closed his eyes. "That's too damn bad. I don't have parents. Not possible."
"Killian, denying facts isn't going to make this blood test go away." Star waved the datatpad at him. "The logical conclusion is that they are telling the truth and they've finally found you and want to meet you. At least talk to them. Just because they are your blood parents doesn't mean you have to accept them if you don't like them."
"They're not my parents." Killian lifted his hand and he bumped the datapad. Now that he opened his eyes he could see the results for himself. "I don't want to talk to them now that.....that stupid test says they're my parents." He'd already said that he would talk with them the day before, but it was sounding like a worse and worse idea. "You talk to them if you like them so much."
Star sighed. "Why would it be such a horrible thing if they are your parents?"
It was a good thing the kids weren't in the room. Killian felt like he was going to bust a blood vessel over this whole situation. "Because they're sick. Left me all alone and now they pretend that they want me. I'm too old to have parents. If they wanted me they would have kept me to start with."
"I can tell you what they told me, but I think you should ask them those things for yourself. Hear their answers in person. You know you'll wonder about it the rest of your life if you don't take this opportunity to at least talk to them."

Making a face he pushed the pad back toward Star. "Well shoving that thing in my face isn't helping. I don't care if they're my parents. Don't need them, don't want them, shouldn't even have to meet them."
"You do have to meet them, and you will...cause they are hosting me and the kids and helping us out." Star replied casually with a shrug, putting the datapad back in her purse. "At the very least, you owe them the curtsy of thanking them. Think of it as an opportunity tell them off if the conversation goes south."
Killian struggled to sit up though for the moment he forgot about the controls on the bed. "I don't want to." She was probably going to invite them in regardless of what he said. "They're....not what I need."
"I'm not saying you need them, Killian. No one is saying that. But...maybe..." She shrugs, "You'll end up wanting them. At the very least I'm not going to let you go through life wondering 'what if'. This is for your own good."
"You're just bulling your way around." Grumbling he flopped back into the bed and groaned. He had momentarily forgot about his shoulder till a spasm started to roll through it. "I don't even get a choice. First you give me one and then you take it back. Typical!"
"What's "typical" supposed to mean?" Star frowned. "If you are really so damn stubborn about not meeting them then I'll tell them to go away and the kids and I will try and find some other place to live till you recover. You are your own man, you make your own decisions. I just thought it might be nice to have people in our lives who were interested in helping us for a change." She sighed, on the verge of tears. She was tired of everything and Killian being a baby about all this was not helping.

It was obvious that it was bothering Star and Killian sighed. "I don't know." Killian couldn't even begin to explain what was going on in his mind. "You've already made your mind up and...Star I'm....What am I supposed to do with parents?"
Star shrugged. "I don't know. What's anyone do with parents? At the very least they can help us get back on our feet. At the most maybe they become part of the family, friends. People who will care about us, about you. But if really bothers you that much then we can forget about it. I just don't want you to end up regretting it 10 years down the line."
"You don't understand." Flopping his good arm over his face Killian groaned. "This isn't something where they just waltz in or out. Having parents means a lot of things."
"What is it that you're afraid of?" Star questioned.
"I'm not afraid of anything." Killian growled a little and dropped his arm off his face. "What are you trying to suggest?"
"Typically when you resist something this strongly you're afraid of something having to do with it. So what's freaking you out about them possibly being your parents?"
She knew him too well. Killian sighed. "I don't want to like them."
Star chuckled. "Ok...why don't you want to like them?"
"Because it doesn't make any sense. Star if I decide that I like them then I....What about all that stuff as a kid?" A scowl started to rest on his face and he shifted as best he could. It was annoying to have to lay on his back since the injured hip was opposite his shoulder. "Its too much."
"What about the stuff as a kid?" Star put a gentle hand on his chest. "Killian, those things are in the past. You're a new man now. Yeah, it sucked your parents left you behind. Yeah, its horrible they never found you again. So tell them that, then put it behind you. We have a whole future ahead of us and if we let all the crap that's happened to us keep a hold, if we can't forgive it...then we will never be able to go forward."

Killian let out a long breath. "There's just a lot with that. Maybe it is in the past and maybe not. If they would have done their damn job instead of leaving me out there I wouldn't have been half beat to death and whatever else."
Star put a hand on his cheek. "And I would've never met you." She said gently. "And Claire, and Mikey would've never been born. And I would've been killed or worse years ago."
"I know." Carefully he turned his face away from her hand. "They're going to want to know about me and I don't have a single good thing to tell them about growing up. I don't want to talk to them about that. There are so many things I can't talk about. You only know what I can manage to get out." Killian let out a another sigh. "If they're anything like what you said then it means that what happened when I was a kid wasn't ok, it wasn't normal or anything else."
"Its not any of those things anyway." Star replied incredulously. "Them being here or not does not change that your past was not normal, not ok, not anything else. And that's the truth. You don't have to tell them anything you don't want to. They have to go by your boundaries. If you only want to talk to them once. Then they have to respect that. If you never want to talk to them, then they'll have to deal with it. None of us are going to make you say anything you don't want to."
Talking about this was frustrating. "I know it's not, but I.....If I could tell myself it was and that my parents didn't care and that's why it happened then it made things more tolerable." Killian tried not to look at Star. It didn't make sense. None of this made sense and yet he felt so strongly about it.
"I don't see how it makes it more tolerable. I'd imagine being abandoned by uncaring parents is worse than knowing they were trying to save your life and lost you." Star knew they were going in circles mostly, but she was making progress, little by little. "Killian, look at me." She waited until he made eye contact. "You are my husband, my lover, my best friend in the universe. Nothing...nothing is going to change that...ever. Not the past, not the future. Just, take some time to rest and think about. Maybe you'll feel differently when you've had some time to process."

Star gave him a kiss and left him to rest. She didn't know how he'd feel in the days to come, but she'd done what she could to peel away yet another layer. Sometimes getting the core issue out of him was like pulling teeth. Still, it was worth it in the end, at least she hoped it would be. They'd been through enough hell, and had an uncertain future. It would be nice to have some outside support, but even if they didn't, Killian and her would still be together, facing the universe.

For now Anna returned to the boys. She wrung her hands all the next morning and then she decided to go out to the garden with the boys. As soon as she saw Kato she wanted to run. Get away now. Get out while you can. He doesn't want you. All those little thoughts pounded through her head with each heartbeat and she pushed them down long enough to talk to him. She just needed to talk with him so he could understand why she had to leave. This wasn't how she wanted to end things, but it was too much and she already knew that he couldn't live with her. The lies and then what she'd done to Kato and the boys. It was her fault and she happened to be the reason that they all suffered. It was better to get out of their lives now.

All her courage sunk to the bottom of her feet as soon as Kato turned around. Her heart was almost breaking as he wrapped his arm around her waist. Anna met his gaze and then she peeled his fingers off her waist. "I'm sorry. I just need to..." Covering her mouth she shook her head and started to walk as fast as she could toward the front of the hospital. She was in such a hurry that she bumped into the taller woman stepping out. "I'm so sorry excuse me."

"Its fine. I should've...ANNA!" Star exclaimed. Her friend had made it after all. She instinctivly wrapped the woman in a hug. "How are..." Star saw that she was about to start sobbing. "What's wrong, Anna?"

Anna was pulled into a giant hug and she started to struggle to get away. Naturally Star was going to ask her what was wrong. "I just need to go tell Killian something real fast and then I'm gonna go." She couldn't tell Star. The woman was more than likely the kind that would be trying to convince her to stay with Kato and or she had too much on her plate. If there was one person she could trust not to have their feelings involved in something like this it would be Killian. He had to be in the hospital if Star was just stepping out. There was no other reason that Star would be here.

"Huh? What? Go where?" Star questioned. "Let me buy you some coffee. I haven't seen you in months."

The little woman nodded. "Coffee in about 1 and a half hours sound good? I got some other running to do first." Anna turned and started into the hospital. Racing for the first nurse desk she asked for Killian Laulorin and she got a room number. There wasn't much time since she knew he was on the floor below Kato. Anytime he would start into the hospital to look for her. To be sure that they wouldn't meet at any point she took the stairs and ran all the way to the 7th floor. Killian's room was on the opposite wing and Anna figured she could take those stairs back down and race out the back. He wouldn't be looking for her in back part of the hospital. By her estimation she could be in and out within 8 minutes and she didn't have much of anything besides what was on her back.

A trip to the bank and then she could be on her way to some random planet. Anywhere. As long as she bought the ticket with credits Kato wouldn't be able to track her. She didn't need him to send private investigators after her. Right now she needed out and she needed to be free.

Killian was still deep in thought about what Star had talked to him about when Anna came through the door. "What the hell?" Pushing up on one elbow he looked at her for a long moment. "What are you doing in here?"

It was the kind of response she could expect and it put Anna at ease. Now she just needed to get it all out. "I'm running away."

"You get in some kind of trouble and now I'm in trouble too cause your in here?" Last thing he needed was more trouble and he figured that Anna with her little history had probably gotten herself into some sort of complicated mess. There was no telling if it had to do with her spying or if she had stumbled onto something that endangered them all now.

"No I need you to tell Kato for me." Anna could see the familiar skeptical look on Killian's face. "I know its my fault that Kato and Joseph got hurt. If I hadn't pushed so hard to get all of you out of this mess. Seeing how he and Joseph suffer everyday from their injuries and then Jacob has nightmares I can't stand it. He'll come to realize it was my fault and its better if I leave now. Just tell him that I love him and the boys. Can you do that for me?"

Now that she finished the whole speel Killian nodded. "Sure I could do that. You sure got a hell of a lot of pride."

Anna's head snapped up and she looked at Killian. "Pride about what?" She couldn't see how he translated any of this into pride. "You have no idea what I feel. It's guilt, but you wouldn't know anything about that."

"No it's pride and I'll pass your shit message to Kato, but I'll tell him your dumbass reasons too. If you think you could make his stupid implant malfunction or direct a bullet to Joseph then you must be a god of some kind and you didn't remember to tell us all. Thanks, now I know who to make my supplications to." Killian flopped back into his bed and winced. "Get the hell out of here before I lose my patience."

The woman's eyes flashed and she started for the door. Turning briefly she hissed back at him. "You're such a bastard."

"At least I don't think I'm a god. Have fun trying to work through that complex." Killian grumbled and finally added. "If you hadn't made contact it would have been your damn fault that we all died there. You did what you had to and sometimes the results aren't pretty."

Anna raced out of the room. She ran down the stairs and darted out the back of the hospital. All of it raced through her mind and then the harsh criticism. God comlex, Killian is such a jerk. Mentally she ran over the accusation and tried to justify her reasons. It was all coming up dead ended. Yes she did have guilt and why? Finally she found herself standing on a street corner feeling lonely and empty. There wasn't anything for her out here. What would she do? Run and run, nowhere to go and no one left to love. There wasn't much room in her heart after Kato. She had given so much to him. Giving up now wasn't worth it. Anna needed to go back and fight for this.

The little woman ran back through the streets. Standing on the corner she waited for the tunnel to raise so that she could walk across the path without getting hit. It felt like forever before she reached the hospital. By now it was getting dark outside. Pushing the door open to Kato's room she stepped in and pulled a chair up to his bedside. "Kato?"

Now that he was lone in the room again Killian couldn't help getting worried. His parents were supposed to come tomorrow. Only time would tell if they could get along. He didn't know if he could forgive them now that he knew they were alive all this time and he was just 'lost.' Who lost their kid or gave them to a whore? His Aunt and Quoti had told him that they had destroyed his parents ship and they died. Deep down inside he had thought that perhaps they cared and yet he told himself that they didn't. All of it was going to be challenged. He didn't even know what they looked like.

Star had given Killian a number that he could use to talk to her and after he had several hours to think about it he sent her a quick message. "No reason fighting over it. I'll see them." Setting the pad aside he moved a little to see if he could get more comfortable before falling asleep.

Morgan and Belen reviewed the report several times. It almost felt unreal to finally have found their son after nearly 40 years of searching for him. The woman smiled softly at it, but she was still worried. What if he didn't want to have them in his life at all? Even after reading the book she didn't really understand him. All they had in the book were small stories here and there. She knew that Star had been careful because even though the book was full of violent content some of the scenes were almost choppy. It was as if the story ended far too abruptly. There was very little about his childhood and she could only imagine what life was like living with a prostitute.

Waiting to know if he would see them was almost unbearable and Belen sent a message to Star from the pad. "Will he see us tomorrow if we go?"

The reply came a few minutes later. "Yes, but he is very reluctant. Try not to push." Both of the Chippeqouti took a deep breath and sent a quick reply of thanks. Somehow it was getting more worrisome than exciting. In many ways Morgan was concerned for his wife. She had been looking forward to this and he half expected that she had a picture of a boy in her mind despite reading the book. He couldn't even begin to imagine what their meeting would be like.

It was a sleepless night as both of them tossed and turned. Belen was up early and she did her best to look refreshed and Morgan had to keep reminding her that late morning would be more appropriate considering the fact that their son was injured and he probably wanted to rest. None of the anxiousness faded when they came to stand outside the doorway of the room. Cautiously Belen started into the room first and Morgan followed in behind her. The woman hadn't really prepared herself to see her son for the first time in a hospital bed and with a nasty cut along his jaw along with having an arm wrapped up in a sling. It was obvious that he was in some pain though it was dulled by the medication that they gave him. Her brow wrinkled as she drew closer and then she stood near the side of the bed with his good arm. Carefully she placed her hand over his and called his name since he was sleeping. "Killian?"

The voice was far from familiar, but it was still soft. Killian's eyes shot open and he stared at the woman and the man in front of him without saying anything. He was going to give this a try, but he couldn't say that so far he felt any great love for them.

"I'm Belen and this is Morgan." Again she tried to break into the odd silence though it had very little effect to start with. How did she even begin to ask him anything?

Sensing the odd nature of the situation Morgan pulled up a seat for Belen and then one for himself. Sitting down across from Killian he started the conversation. "We don't really know anything about one another. It wouldn't quite be fair for us to assume the role of parents." Glancing at Belen he saw that she was about to protest and he put a hand on her arm to stop her. "If you would allow us to try and be part of your life that's all we ask. You determine if it works for you or not."

This wasn't how Killian thought it would happen at all. In fact the man was realistic about it. Didn't try to force his way in or anything. Killian frowned a little. "Then why do you want to know me now? Why didn't you keep me is it some sort of sick tradition?" It took a while with the explanations and he was starting to sort of piece together some of the story of how he ended up like he did. They were both looking at him expectantly and he felt bad, but he couldn't see them as parents. "I don't have any parents as far as I'm concerned, but I am willing to see if you'd be any good for Star. She seems to like both of you."

Morgan rose from his place and he nodded to Belen. "We'll be leaving now. You know what happened and all we know is what Star told us. She said that we gave you to a prostitute." Placing a hand on the Killian's good shoulder he gave a serious nod and expression. "Forgive us. We couldn't have seen the future and no matter what you decide in the end we will be happy to know that you survived."

Overall the meeting had been difficult for all 3 of them. After his parents left Killian agonized over their visit for hours longer. He might have made the same mistake if he was in their place. In fact it was completely logical. They did what was necessary to ensure that he lived even if they didn't.

Kato didn't know how to respond when Anna suddenly pulled his arm off her and sprinted away, leaving the boys. "Anna!?" She was gone. Maybe she was sick? Pregnant again? She'd seemed rather off recently. Maybe that was it. Still where had she gone? He took the boys inside, pushing Joseph's wheelchair. They went to the cafeteria to get food then went back to his room to wait. And wait, and wait. Eventually he had a nurse bring up their night things and got them ready for bed. The brought in cots for both boys but Joseph had begun crying for his mother. He ended laying down next to the boy to calm him. He was worried. Where was she? It was one thing for her to need a few hours to herself but, it was already nearly dark.
Kato stroked Joseph's hair tenderly, shh'ing him until he finally fell asleep beside him. Kato turned and looked over his shoulder as the door opened. Anna shuffled in and sat in a chair beside the bed. "Anna!" He exclaimed in a hushed tone. He sat up carefully so as not to wake Joseph and got off the bed. "Where were you?" He whispered. "I was getting worried."
The little woman could feel her cheeks turn red with shame. If she didn't tell him it would just be another lie. "I ran away."
Kato looked at her confused. He took her arm and led her out of the room so they could talk without waking the boys. He looked at her with that one piercing blue-grey eye. "Did you say, you ran away?"
Lowering her head Anna followed after Kato. She felt like a horribly naughty child about now. Raising her chin when they reached the hallway she gazed up at him blinked away a few tears. "Yes I did."
"What were you running from?" Kato questioned. Part of him still thought she was talking metaphorically.
Anna let her chin drop almost to her chest. "You and the boys. I just felt so guilty about all of you getting hurt on account of that rebellion."
"You were....leaving?" Kato blinked in shock. He brought his hands slowly up to her arms. She looked as if she were in so much pain. He wrapped her in a hug. "Oh, Anna. There is nothing to feel guilty about. That rebellion saved our lives. And if you remember, I did my fair share of making sure it worked as well." He kissed the top of her head. "Joseph is not your fault, and my implant was already failing."

"I kinda decided that before I came back." Anna sniffed a little and buried her head in Kato's chest. It felt good to know that he still loved her even after all this. So she decided to tell him the rest. "I was too scared to tell you and I saw Star coming out of the hospital so I figured Killian was inside. I knew he...Oh my gosh I forgot to go to coffee with Star!"
Kato chuckled. "I'm sure she'll understand." His expression became a bit more serious as he continued to hold her. "This is why I want you to talk to me, Anna." He squeezed her a little tighter. "I could've walked through this with you before you got to the point where you wanted to just run away."
"I knew you'd just try to talk me out of it and I was afraid that in time you'd know it was my fault." Anna blushed a little as the words god complex seemed to sting even more.
"Your fault? Anna? Why would I ever think this was your fault? I know you do your job as a spy well, but...not even you are big enough or powerful enough to cause everything that happened to happen."
Her cheeks only got more red and she nodded. "Yeah I know."
Kato sighed and pulled away so he could search her face. "Maybe...maybe we should do some marriage counseling or something." He suggested.
"That could be helpful." Anna sighed inwardly. She didn't end up telling him about going to Killian first. How messed up was that? "I think we should definitely get some counseling."
Kato nodded. "Ok." He rubbed her arms. "I'm so sorry that you felt the need to run. I still love you...deeply. And...I'm so glad you didn't. It would've broken my heart."
Since he was still sounding like he wasn't angry she carefully wiggled in closer to hold onto him and hug Kato. "I love you."

For a long while he just held her, his mind barely processing that he'd just almost lost her. That she'd almost run away. What had been going through her mind that would bring her to that? How much pain was she suffering that she wouldn't tell him about. They would need a new home to settle before they started looking for counselors. He'd talk about that with her tomorrow. Hopefully they could find a home soon that would be peaceful and not at risk of being invaded by the Gillicks.
*********************************************************************************************
Star waited in the little coffee shop for two hours. She had nothing better to do until Morgan and Belen left Killian, but still she was feeling concerned when her friend didn't show up. She'd looked pretty upset, maybe she'd forgotten or had something else come up. Eventually she finished the last bit of her coffee and began making her way back to Killian's room. She passed by some shops, one of which had Baby congratulations displayed in the window. Somehow her feet ventured inside and she found herself picking up a little blue elephant stuffed animal, a feeling of longing gripping her heart.
"Did a friend just have a baby!?" An older hunchbacked woman asked with a toothy smile.
"No..." Star smiled at her sadly then looked back down at the elephant. "I uh...lost one, recently."
"Oh. I'm sorry dear." The old woman looked at her sympathetically.
"It is what it is."
"Yes, but losing a child is never easy." The woman looked to the shopkeeper. "I'll buy that...for her."
"Oh, no...you needn't..."
"Ah, let an old woman do what she can."
"Thankyou. I appreciate it." Star held the toy close to her chest.
The silver-haired woman nodded and patted Star's hand. "May you be blessed with many more children." She said before paying the attendant and shuffling away.

Star left the little shop and made her way up to Killian, the little blue elephant still clutched in her hands. She peeked into Killian's room. It looked clear so she went in. "Hey, how'd it go?" She asked, sitting gently beside him.
Turning his head toward Star he tilted his head to the side. "Eh...I don't know. Went alright I guess."
"They were nice right? Are you glad you met with them?" Star questioned.
All the questions were making Killian uncomfortable and he shifted on his bed. "I....They were nice, but I don't know if I wanted to meet them." Killian shrugged his one good shoulder. "I feel kinda bad cause I know they want to talk with me and I don't have anything to say to them."
"If you want,. I can be here next time. Make things less awkward. That is if you want there to be a next time." Star fingered the little elephant in her hands unconsciously.
"Might be easier.You know them better and then I can sleep." He wasn't sleeping all that well in the hospital and Killian smirked when he noticed the elephant in her hands. "What is that thing all about? You forget to leave it with the kids at home or something?"
"Oh." Star looked down at the toy. "No...um...some old woman saw me holding it in a baby gift shop and bought it for me." She smiled weakly. "Don't know why I grabbed it. Just seemed to...call to me..." She shrugged, tears springing to her eyes as her hands tightened around it.
He was exhausted after days of visitors, but Killian pushed the button to sit up. With a little effort he managed to move himself to the edge of the bed and he put a hand on her shoulder. "You ok?"
Star shook her head, tears streaming down her face. "I'd have a baby in my arms by now." She choked on the words. They hadn't spoken about miscarriage since it happened. There's never been a time or place. She'd barely even been able to grieve. It had all become about survival immediately after. She felt bad about suddenly breaking down on Killian like this after the day he'd been through.
"We'll work through this." It felt like a pathetic line to give her. Still it was all the better he could do for now. "We can have another baby if you want to. Um..." Looking around the room he tried to think of anything else. "Come up on the bed here and just be careful of my hip on this side, but I could at least hold you a little better."

Star rounded the bed and lay next to him, her head on his chest and good shoulder while being careful to avoid his hip. She clutched the toy to her chest, still weeping. Months of pent up grief and pain finally pouring out in a single moment. "Sorry." She'd say from time to time in between waves of emotion. She knew he didn't really know how to help her, but just being beside him was help enough for now.
**********************************************************************************************
A Week Later:

It was good to be in a real house again. Belen and Morgan had been kind enough to move out and give them space. There were so many things she was looking forward to. She was eager to have a room to herself with Killian again. She couldn't wait to start cooking for the family again. Above all, she was looking forward to things getting back to normal. Zach was finally starting to perk up again. Claire and Mikey were their rambunctious selves and raced around without a care in the world. It was almost a joy to be able to tell them to calm down and stop yelling or stop whatever mischief they were getting into.

Star snatched up Claire as she raced by and swung her around, pretending to eat her black girls. "No! No!" The little girl screeched with laughs. "Mom! I caught a lizard!" Mikey yelled, holding cupped hands up to her.
"Don't let it loose in the house!" Star grabbed a cup so he could plop the little creature into it and not worry about it escaping.
"Zach, don't you dare come into this house with those muddy shoes." She warned him with a finger as the lad put a foot a dirtied shoe over the threshold. He slunked back, pulled off his shoes and trotted in with his socks. "Ooh, a lizard! I wanna see." Star went to check on Killian as the children ooh'd and aah'd over the little reptile.
He was sleeping alot, which was good since that meant he was healing but she missed having him around and active in the family. That had been one of the most painful things over the last 6 months. Him so tired or so sick he barely had time for any connection. They hadn't even had a chance to get any intimate alone time hardly.

"Killian? Hey. Need anything before I start making dinner?" Star peeked into the bedroom.
********************************************************************************************

Kato and Anna sat before his doctor. The man was trying to convince him to have the implant removal done now.
"I've seen the data myself, Sir." Kato replied. "Its serious but not urgent yet. Right now my son is recovering from a gunshot wound and my wife needs me on my feet. That has to take top priority right now."
The little woman put her hand on Kato's. "Serious is enough. Why wait till its urgent and then risk something more dangerous?"
"What about you, and Joseph?" Kato looked at her in concern. She was already under enough stress as it was without having to care for him on top of it. "I could be laid up for a week or more. I can wait until Joseph is back on his feet."
Anna shook her head at him. "I could deal with it better knowing that you're not another person to worry about. Last we need is for it suddenly start getting worse."
Kato studied her face then finally nodded and looked back at the Doctor. "How soon can you get me in?"
"5 days from now."
"Let's do it."
The doctor nodded and put him in the computer.
Kato looked back over at Anna and squeezed her hand. "I love you."

The surgery took a little longer than expected but the doctor assured Anna all the implants had been removed without complication. When Kato awoke he found Anna and kids already there to greet them. He smiled. "Hey kiddos. Anna. What did the doc say? Everything go smoothly?" Sounded like it had and he was able to relax in relief. "Looks like both of us are going to laid up for a bit longer, bud." He winked at Joseph then looked to Anna. "You find which planet you'd like to settle?"

Back