|| A brand new rp ||

Enki

Hello!

Now, I can see that I caught your interest with this title. I have in mind a rp that is not necessarily a barbarian rp, but in general the civilizations at hand are all tribal or early civilization. I have in mind a rp where the players try to survive in a changing world where humans are a minority and non-humans make the bulk of the tribal continent. Everyone will play from one to three characters, depending on different things. I will be the general guide in this rp, but others can have some freedom in their actions as I hope to participate in this rp alongside the other players in case I ended up doing something that is too convoluted for others to solve out.

General setting is the following:

500 years have passed since the death of the gods. With each god cannibalized the world was made far more lethal to the humans. The gods that are known to have died were the god of the hunt, whose death lead to the birth of werewolves and other wild beasts that serve as a bane to all hunters. Other gods to die were the gods of knowledge and fire that lead to stagnation of knowledge and arrival of permafrost in the northern most parts of the place, with southern areas being somewhat suitable for farming. Lands in between are suitable for farming during summer and spring, but rest of the time it is too cold. Death of the gods like God of Life lead to the birth of other races.

All the races that were born were at first savage, but as years passed they reached sentience and formed societies of the most primitive breed. Soon there begun to form numerous tribes among these brand new races of the north. There were war among the numerous tribes due to religious reasons and due to them wanting more and more of the lands for them to hunt in. The tribes were slowly advancing, but slowly. They were currently at late bronze age.

What of the humans? What did they do when gods died and world went to shit? Did they, as civilized men living in a golden age, start working with one another? Oh no. Of course not, that would not make an interesting story. Instead they begun to blame one another for the death of the gods and wanted the food supplies of one another. It did not help that the god of life died so the amount of stillborn children were rising.

In five hundred centuries what would you expect? Once mighty kingdoms under semi-authoritarian rulership of their kings have fallen back to the iron age. Population of humans have shrunk into meager tens of thousands, littered across the world in form of small well fortified cities and the like. The mentality of the humans were affected by the death of the god of knowledge, making them ever so unwilling to advance, afraid of things going worse.

But I must have forgotten one important detail: Magic. Much of the history about the magic is lost, but it is said that a group of mages killed the gods and thus magic is distrusted among humans, but not among the beastfolk that have different folk stories. The story among humans goes that a cult of magicians tried to achieve godhood by consuming the souls of the Gods, and they got immortality but caused bad things to the world around them and to themselves. These now snake-shaped magicians are these days called by humans and others alike demons.

And where do you come from? What is your purpose? Well, you'll be what ever you want, part of one of the numerous citystates or tribes that litter the continent. Welcome to the supercontinent of Waldia.

The world is covered by an invisible sea in which all life lives their normal lives without knowing it. This sea is mana that is found all across the world, flowing. It is in some places a lot more than in others and vice versa. Only some of the most advanced mages have had the ability to see the mana that the gods see, but they are often scarred by the light they see.

When the gods were consumed they were not completely consumed, as fragments of them flew across the realm of mortals, soon turning into what the humans call angels and what the beasts call spirits. These are invisible to most but the spirit mages and every one has one bound to them, whether they know it or not. The spirits/angels are related to one of the aspects of the god that they came from.

The magicians are distrusted among humans due to the history of them having ruined the world, but are somewhat tolerated as they are necessary in keeping places left and right under control. In tribes of beasts mana magicians are called warlocks, while spirit magicians are called shamans.

There are two main forms of magic: Mana related magic and spirit magic.
Spirit magic is something that everyone is technically capable of, but it is a hard and not always effective one, as it requires good relations or common goals with the spirit/angel bound to you. Spirit magic is also the form of magic more trusted among humans. This form of magic also has to be related to the spirit. A spirit of the hunt? You can get heightened senses and the like. Angel of fire? *Fireballs intensifies.*

Mana magic is one where the mage uses the mana in the region around him to cast spells. Only drawback is that these spells' effectiveness is dependent on the amount of mana flowing in the region. The other drawback is that only the select few are capable of mana magic, as for one to be able to use mana in magic they have to inherit the ability from parents that have the same ability. Both of them. On the plus side there is less limitations on mana magic.

[Playable] Humans: Once the most populous race they are now a dying breed trying to survive in the land of beasts that was once their home.

[Playable] Satyrs: Closest to Elves with their non-fur covered parts. They live in the woods and are nature lovers, even if it tends to be cold. They are mostly scavengers, but when necessary they will hunt for food.

[Playable] Beastman: A filthy crossbreed between a human and an animal. This differs from a region to another. They can be half-rats, half-goats or even half-bulls.

[Unplayable] Demon snakes: The last stagnated civilization of renaissance era technology. The population of them has stopped growing, but they are strongly less than 10 000. Roughly between 300 and 2 000. They possess magic of highest quality that makes them deadly. Their apetite has changed into one where they feed upon the souls of other mortals. When they go out for raiding and one spots them closing in, all one can do is pray that their fate is swift.

[Unplayable] Spirit/angel: Surviving fragments of the gods swallowed by the demon snakes. They are motivated by different things, but rarely hedonistic reasons. While they are stronger than mortals, they are far weaker than the gods or the demon snakes.

Anyone interested?

Ps. This can be a g roup rp or a 1x1, depending on how many people I get and what they prefer more.

Last edited:
ok now, could you go a little more in depth on the intricacies of the magic and how one conjures it? such as if one is trying to develop their powers in secret how would one go about describing pulling the mana? is it unique to each person as they draw upon it, or is it more specific?

Magic. Yeah. Through rituals and the like one can cast magic, which depends on their source, the spirit/angel attached to them or the rivers of mana that flow around the globe. And someone developing their powers in secret? Well. Not exactly possible, since when one pulls in the mana to cast spells the mana used turns temporarily visible and soon shifts into what the magician tried to perform. And yes, it is unique to each person, but there can be people that share the same magic at hand. I first wanted to see how many people are interested before I put up the character sheet.

I am sorry if I did not answer your question.
ok now, could you go a little more in depth on the intricacies of the magic and how one conjures it? such as if one is trying to develop their powers in secret how would one go about describing pulling the mana? is it unique to each person as they draw upon it, or is it more specific?

Ok. 3 down, I will wait roughly 4 hours or so before posting the character sheet for you guys to plan out...
Would you guys prefer if we did the rp in PMs or in a different thread?

Fuckin' hell. Sorry about that. I forgot and remembered that I should have posted the character sheet when I was in bed. xD...
Here's the sheet.
Also, humans get some bonus to communication with spirits/angels, satyrs to survival and beastmen to strength.

Name: (Insert any name you want here.)
Race: (One of the three.)
Age: (15-34, because we can't have too old and too young people adventuring or working at different jobs. xD)
Appearance: (1-2 paragraphs.)
Personality: (Same as above.)
Backstory: (2-3 paragraphs, maybe 1 if it's well enough written.)
Social ranking: (This is your role in your village or your town. It can range from a farmer to a hunter to a innkeeper. And please, at most you can be middle-class in a town.)

Magic. Yeah. Through rituals and the like one can cast magic, which depends on their source, the spirit/angel attached to them or the rivers of mana that flow around the globe. And someone developing their powers in secret? Well. Not exactly possible, since when one pulls in the mana to cast spells the mana used turns temporarily visible and soon shifts into what the magician tried to perform. And yes, it is unique to each person, but there can be people that share the same magic at hand. I first wanted to see how many people are interested before I put up the character sheet.

I am sorry if I did not answer your question.

no worries, this actually answered a bit about it, but im super interested to read more and possibly develop someone for it if i could try, but again im like brand new to all this in this setting

Name: Kaynos
Race: Human

Appearance: Kaynos stands of average height, and is slightly heavier than normal, his body lean but well muscled. He has short, dirty blonde hair and deep brown eyes. He keeps his head clean shaven, though, a habit from his years of military training, the results of which can still be seen over his body. He generally wears a simple set of rough, loose homespun shirt and pants, and perhaps a set of furs in cold weather. Squarely in the center of his forehead is a angular, unique tribal brand.

Personality: Kaynos is simple and spartan, with little material atttraction. He is quiet and reserved, very analytical, but bold at the same time. Unhesitating, unyielding, and pragmatic, Kaynos has the perfect personality of a soldier, save a deep rooted rebellious streak, and a tendancy to speak his mind, damn the consequences.

Backstory: Born in the city at Valure, Kaynos displayed from an early age an affinity for combat and an aptitude for the spear. Subsequently, he was taken in by the military as soon as he was eligible. After several years of work and dedication, he was selected for the royal guard at the age of seventeen, one of the youngest ever to gain such a position. Three years into his service, disaster struck. A conflict between several noble families in Valure ballooned into near all out war. After months of fighting, the previous ruler was found dead, and the new ruler took the throne, ending the fighting. Their first order of business was to rid the city of all former supporters of the old ruler. Marked with a brand and exiled from the city, Kaynos wandered the land, working odd tasks as a mercenary and soldier, looking for some new purpose in life as he grows his skills with the spear even further.

Social ranking: Wanderer, outcast

Name: Misha 'GromRym'
Race: human

Appearance: Misha stands at a height of 5'8", considerably short among his people with an average height of 6'5"
skin a light bronze in tone his hair is a lions mane of tangled blackish-brown dreads reaching down to his shoulder blades with short kept tangled beard.
He wears a hooded poncho and shorts made from the local black bears, the hood adorned as a head dress with the bear head seemingly swallowing his own
his muscles are above average, riddled with scars given to him from his harsh youth. Usually seen with a side smile or toothy grin, while assuming and almost
intimidating to some is usually meant with kindness. Strapped over his shoulder is an ornate long bow made from Thunder Bear Bone and Ironwood and a large quiver of various arrows,
carrying a small pack made from blackened goatskin with various tools attached, with two Ironwood axes at his sides.

Personality: Misha exudes and aura of confidence that is rarely shaken, level headed he is rarely quick to anger as his kind disposition can ease
most from his barbaric appearance. His friendly nature is as pleasant as it is genuine to those he meets, quick to help those he feels are in need of it,
he readily gets in the way of danger if it's required to protect anyone, including strangers, still clever to those who wish to abuse his generosity, ending in them regretting such thoughts.
he has a constant hunger for knowledge being a closet bookworm, loves to cook, but does it badly, surprisingly clean as he is somewhat of a germaphobe.

Backstory: Past the blackened mines of Gorroth Misha grew up in a small secluded tribe of giants in the harsh Ironwood Forests spanned across the colossal mountain ranges of Nebo.
Born abnormally small for his tribe of giants, he was always adamant on working twice as hard as the children growing up as most of the other
children towered above him early in their youths, achieving him an somewhat blessed strength that challenges even some of the mightiest tribal hunters.
The harsh cold of the mountains breeds even harsher animals and being a hunter means facing these giant beasts, Misha was forged by the mountains to be resilient and tough.
Excelling past the other hunters in training he showed an affinity for the bow, hitting targets hundreds of yards with pinpoint precision.
growing into a a skilled hunter and scout, whose marksmanship remains top amongst his tribe. In his early 20's Misha was always curious about what lay outside the mountain walls, so
he set out a journey to explore the evolving world, driven by his wanderlust for the wonders that await. Working odd jobs across different cities and towns, learning to speak and write the common tongue, he would try for work in local libraries where he would frequently get side glanced. Always on to the next town when any work was finished and learning what he could.

Social ranking: Wanderer, Hunter

Last edited:
Holyshitathousandyards

Cool character, though. Nice job.
i mean i can tone it down i was at a loss for his skill at the bow... i was using d&d knowledge and trying to expand on such, and technically i Was trying have his skills like his strength be somewhat 'Blessed' in a sense that it could be rped that he eventually meets the spirit guarding him

Last edited:
You can swim up a waterfall in D&D if you roll well enough :) . The longest a longbow in the middle ages could fire was around 400 yards, and that's just range, not accuracy. A thousand yards, damn, At that point, you need eagle vision to see the target accurately. Bows with that kind of power were usually around 200 pounds of draw weight, which means the arrow is hitting with the stopping power of a 9mm round. Nowadays, the number of archers that can shoot that kind of weight can be counted on one hand. He's a psuedo giant, of course, so he could manage more than a 200lb draw bow, probably. In the end though, it's up to you, and Enki is the only one who can really say anything about it. All of this, by the way, is assuming the thunder bear bow doesn't impart any kind of magical power to the arrows.

And from one D&D player to another, trying to shoot a thousand yards in D&D with a standard longbow will incur a -58 penalty to the attack roll, assuming you ignore it only being able to shoot ten range increments. Good luck. :)

You can swim up a waterfall in D&D if you roll well enough :) . The longest a longbow in the middle ages could fire was around 400 yards, and that's just range, not accuracy. A thousand yards, damn, At that point, you need eagle vision to see the target accurately. Bows with that kind of power were usually around 200 pounds of draw weight, which means the arrow is hitting with the stopping power of a 9mm round. Nowadays, the number of archers that can shoot that kind of weight can be counted on one hand. He's a psuedo giant, of course, so he could manage more than a 200lb draw bow, probably. In the end though, it's up to you, and Enki is the only one who can really say anything about it. All of this, by the way, is assuming the thunder bear bow doesn't impart any kind of magical power to the arrows.

And from one D&D player to another, trying to shoot a thousand yards in D&D with a standard longbow will incur a -58 penalty to the attack roll, assuming you ignore it only being able to shoot ten range increments. Good luck. :)
true i agree, like i said certain skills i wanted to rp that he is spiritually 'blessed' unbeknownst to him

Name: Misha 'GromRym'
Race: human

Appearance: Misha stands at a height of 5'8", considerably short among his people with an average height of 6'5"
skin a light bronze in tone his hair is a lions mane of tangled blackish-brown dreads reaching down to his shoulder blades with short kept tangled beard.
He wears a hooded poncho and shorts made from the local black bears, the hood adorned as a head dress with the bear head seemingly swallowing his own
his muscles are above average, riddled with scars given to him from his harsh youth. Usually seen with a side smile or toothy grin, while assuming and almost
intimidating to some is usually meant with kindness. Strapped over his shoulder is an ornate long bow made from Thunder Bear Bone and Ironwood and a large quiver of various arrows,
carrying a small pack made from blackened goatskin with various tools attached, with two Ironwood axes at his sides.

Personality: Misha exudes and aura of confidence that is rarely shaken, level headed he is rarely quick to anger as his kind disposition can ease
most from his barbaric appearance. His friendly nature is as pleasant as it is genuine to those he meets, quick to help those he feels are in need of it,
he readily gets in the way of danger if it's required to protect anyone, including strangers, still clever to those who wish to abuse his generosity, ending in them regretting such thoughts.
he has a constant hunger for knowledge being a closet bookworm, loves to cook, but does it badly, surprisingly clean as he is somewhat of a germaphobe.

Backstory: Past the blackened mines of Gorroth Misha grew up in a small secluded tribe of giants in the harsh Ironwood Forests spanned across the colossal mountain ranges of Nebo.
Born abnormally small for his tribe of giants, he was always adamant on working twice as hard as the children growing up as most of the other
children towered above him early in their youths, achieving him an somewhat blessed strength that challenges even some of the mightiest tribal hunters.
The harsh cold of the mountains breeds even harsher animals and being a hunter means facing these giant beasts, Misha was forged by the mountains to be resilient and tough.
Excelling past the other hunters in training he showed an affinity for the bow, hitting targets hundreds of yards with pinpoint precision.
growing into a a skilled hunter and scout, whose marksmanship remains top amongst his tribe. In his early 20's Misha was always curious about what lay outside the mountain walls, so
he set out a journey to explore the evolving world, driven by his wanderlust for the wonders that await. Working odd jobs across different cities and towns, learning to speak and write the common tongue, he would try for work in local libraries where he would frequently get side glanced. Always on to the next town when any work was finished and learning what he could.

Social ranking: Wanderer, Hunter
... I believe it is acceptable? I do not see any mentioning of the thousand yards or I may just be blind.

My advice? Unless the DM is asking for hard numbers, you can be pretty vague on it. You can simply say that (as you edited) hundreds of yards and top marksmanship. If the average 'power level' involves people of crazy power, bending steel bars with ease, stopping time, unleashing massive fireballs decimating cities, then it would be acceptable for your character to be able to shoot a thousand yards (if not more, and powers beyond that).

The thing that helps me quite a bit is this. You don't need to flesh everything out before the RP starts. Your character sheet is more of a skeleton, a guideline than anything else. That being said, pulling skills, weapons, and other things out of our ass during the RP generally doesn't go well with the GM, but if something makes sense for your rough background, then its mostly fine.

For example, if my character is in a tavern, and he sees another character with the same brand of exile he has, and recognizes them as an old friend, that would be acceptable. If my character was revealed to be sworn brothers with the king of another nation, where his duty never took him and he would have never talked to, that might not go over so well.

Likewise, for your character, seeing a monster in the mountains and immediately recognizing it, and knowing how to use all of its parts for useful tasks, (bones make good armor, boiled liver can cure poison, etc.) would probably be good. If you somehow had perfect knowledge of explosives and lockpicking, which would have never been something in your tribe, that would be less so.

Again, this is my expereince as a GM and player. I've never played with Enki as GM before, so I don't know how he runs things, and ultimately, up to him.

Back