A Fiery Friendship [1x1]

Janine smiled at Dodie's enthusiasm as she went through the door to make a distraction. As she waited for the action to happen, Janine slowly approached her bag and placed whatever she pulled out back into it, including her letter.

The moment she heard crashing in the room next door, Janine jumped and yelped a bit, genuinely surprised to the noise that was so close to her. The look on her face actually helped her seemingly innocent position in the whole incident, because when the nurse hurried out of her office, she saw the look in Janine's face and told ehr to calm down while she went to see what the problem was.
Janine smirked when she disappeared as well, and quickly grabbed her bag as she hurried to the heavy door. As hoped, the screams and panic drowned out the sounds of the creaky door, and she escaped with a smile on her face.

As expected, some students froze at the muffled screams and stared at the rectangular and slender window that allowed others to see inside, seeing the scene Dodie had caused. Janine slowed down and peeked inside, a smirk gracing her face when she saw Dodie swinging a fire extinguisher around. When she saw the plan working, Janine nodded approvingly and dashed to the stairs, descending down the steps with decent speed. She hoped that Dodie had seen and followed her, but she didn't stick around to figure it out.

It didn't take her long to get to the door that allowed her access to the rarely used pathway, and she slowed down upon meeting the doors. Even then, Janine exited the door at a rapid pace, knowing that Sean was a bit of a distance away from the school. "Come on! Hurry up!" Janine exclaimed with a bit of excitement.

As soon as the headmaster rushed out of his office and into the nurse's room, Dodie knew it was time to leave. She dropped the fire extinguisher like it was a hot potato and practically flung herself out of the room. As she looked around for Dodie, she made eye contact with a boy.

She shared quite a few classes with him, most notably English, Biology and Chemistry. He was incredibly intelligent, but he had no friends due to some sort of incredibly evident social anxiety. Dodie couldn't even remember a time that he talked to her, even though she had sat beside him in English. He was lanky, with sickly pale skin and plenty of spots. He had large circular glasses and dark brown hair styled in a modern quiff. With a bit of modification to his nerdy and outcast look, he may well have some sort of handsome to him. His name was Ethan Underwood.

More important than any of that was how he seemed to be looking right at Dodie, though she didn't notice it at the time. She barely looked at him and turned in the other direction to see Janine disappear around the corner. Kicking herself into gear, she sprinted after her, running just a few footsteps behind her. She slipped out of the door behind her best friend and looked down the path. "Sean, you idiot!" She shouted, knowing full well that her brother couldn't hear her. She sprinted down the path in an attempt to catch up with him.

Janine looked back to see Dodie catching up to her, and faced forward, making sure she was going the right way as she ran. It had been a while since Janine ran after someone that wasn't Dodie, and here she was running after her brother of all people.

How amusing, Janine thought to herself as she ran down the street. She rushed down the sidewalk, barely seeing a moving figure that Janine had to assume was Sean, and kept going for the next two blocks.
When she figured she was at a distance where Sean might've bee able to hear her, Janine forced herself to start walking, then begin to hide behind trees and cars. She then went across the street to stay some distance away, and kept her eyes steady on him. "Where is he going?" Janine muttered half to herself.

Though she had imagined she would run faster as a ghost, it almost felt like Dodie was going slower, not that she was ever very fast. Maybe it was due to her less than real lungs, or maybe her less than real legs. Either would be a valid explanation. Despite all this, she didn't stop running after her brother. When she was about six feet away, she had to stop, the effort of breathing in and moving all too much for her somehow. She lifted her eyes to look at Sean. "Sean...you...idiot! Get back here!" She shouted between breaths. At this moment, Janine would notice how Dodie looked more solid, more colourful, for just a second, before returning back to normal with muted colours and an all around transparent look to her.

For some reason, Sean stopped. He turned around and looked right at where Dodie was standing, but it was obvious he couldn't see her. However, he had a mystified, confused look on his face, a hand lifted up to his ear. After a few seconds of standing like that, silent and still, he shook his head. "Idiot..." he repeated, before turning around and keeping on walking, shuffling his school bag on his shoulder.

Dodie stared after him, still panting. "H-hey, Sean!" She shouted after him, but nothing happened this time. She looked over at Janine. "You...you saw that, right? He, he must have heard me there!" She sounded so excited.

Janine looked over at how slow Dodie was in catching up to Sean. She thought that Dodie would be faster for some reason - perhaps it was the thought that she didn't have to use actual bodily energy since she was.... Well.... Not alive.
The act puzzled her for a moment, but not to the point where she had forgotten to stay low and keep quiet while her ghost friend shouted to the top of her lungs. It could make her jealous, but it clearly wasn't on the forefront of her mind.

As Dodie shouted to her brother, Janine noticed her body.... Changing... but it wasn't so obvious to confidently point out. Was that color popping from Dodie's ghostly body? No it couldn't be. It had to be the flowers and bushes from behind her. Nonetheless, Janine narrowed her eyes and watched as Sean seemingly reacted to.... Dodie?

'No way.... Did he heard her?' Janine thought to herself with a curious murr. She watched Sean leave and slowly crept from the side of the car to the trunk, still not willing to come completely out of hiding.

"Dodie don't get too excited..... And keep your voice down.... I don't want to speak up too loudly out of impulse.... Remember that I can still be seen and heard you numb-nut," Janine said as she watched Sean walk a few feet.

Dodie gestured at Sean. "But he heard me!" She shouted. "He! Heard! Me!" She looked desperately after her brother and sighed. "He...he did." You could practically hear the hope dying from her voice as Sean seemed to pick up the pace as the school bell rang from the building behind them. Dodie glanced at Janine. "We're going to keep going," she uncharacteristically demanded.

She turned on her heel and walked after her brother, not really checking to check if Janine was following her. When she was walking, she seemed to be at a more normal speed. It was just whenever she was running that she slowed down. With the speed she moved at, she could catch up with him already. "Sean. Sean, turn around right now!" She commanded, reaching out and putting a hand on his shoulder.

There was a hissing sound and Sean cried out in pain. He sprinted a few steps away, a black handprint burned into his jersey shoulder. He put one hand over it as he looked around, panicked and hyperventilating. "D-Dorothy?" He wheezed, looking around frantically. "D-Doders, st-stop it."

As he was looking around, he caught sight of Janine behind a tree. He froze, and steeled up, face emotionless. "What the f*ck are you doing? How the f*ck did you do that!?" He shouted and swore at her, stomping over.

Janine sighed at Dodie's reaction towards her brother. She didn't want her to feel any sense of defeat over something she couldn't quite prove with confidence.... Or was it something that she couldn't prove with confidence?
The hope leaving her voice nearly made Janine cry, but she kept a distant expression on her face as she stood up a bit straighter. Suddenly, Dodie demanded that they keep going after Sean. Janine blinked at her determination, though this made her hesitant and wary of what she would go through to make Sean notice her.

"Dodie, I don't think we should-"

But the ghost girl was out of her reach within seconds. "Dodie...? Dodie! Get back over here," Janine tried to whisper as loud as she could without being heard by Sean. She crept a few feet closer and hid behind a tree, worried about what would happen... She felt a small twinge of an ache in her stomach, making her whimper as she watched Dodie approach Sean.

Something bad was going to happen.... Janine prayed it wouldn't be the case. But alas, Dodie proceeded to touch Sean's shoulder.
And the consequences shocked her.
The moment Dodie made contact with Sean was startling - she burned his shoulder! A gasp escaped from her mouth when it happened - she heard the sizzling from where she was. A look of worry and wariness painted Janine's face as she watched Sean panic and whirl around, her body sinking further behind the tree.

"I knew something would happen!" Janine muttered to herself with closed eyes. Suddenly, Sean's voice grew loud and demanding, and Janine's eyes flashed open in surprise. With a turn of her head, Janine soon saw Sean stomp towards her. She froze and shrunk herself, surprised that he managed to see her when she was hiding rather well.

The cursing threatened to make Janine mad herself, but her surprise and slight fear won out by a landslide. As Sean got closer, Janine stumbled out of her hiding spot and wondered on what to do. She figured her normal emotions would be a go-to plan - she should be emotionless and aggressive... That's how she normally acted no matter what the day was.

Since that was the case, Janine decided to act upon 'Plan A'. It was the only way she didn't look too suspicious. As she prepared herself for an argument or even a fight, she made a low growl come from her throat.

"What am I doing?! I can ask the same thing about you! I'm just walking down the street after the bell rung," Janine stated with a certain emphasis on the word 'after'. "What about you?" Janine asked with her hands in her pockets and her voice low and somewhat gruff, her signature stance of aggression.

Sean lifted his head up, looking down his nose at Janine. "Yeah right." He spat. "How the f*ck did you do this? What, are you some sort of witch on top of a leech on my sister's entire existence?" He shouted, very careful to get uncomfortably close to her face. His eyes were aflame with pure rage, but his lips and hands were trembling, emotion in their movements unreadable.

Dodie sprinted from where she was standing and skidded to a halt at her fighting brother and friend's sides. "Calm down, Sean!" She shouted, hoping that the sheer volume of her voice would get through to him. Evidently, it did not. She tried to reach out again, not directly hoping to burn him unless it would get his attention, but her hand went right thorough his body. "Get him to go back to class, Janine! Tell him I say so!" She commanded.

Janine lowered her ears at Sean's accusation at being a witch. She should've known that he would be this defensive. The way he was right now was terribly worrying for her - his body expression was a powerful mixture of anger and other multiple emotions, probably more stronger than her simple aggression. From a tactical standpoint, he had the higher advantage if it came down to a fight. Knowing her own power, Janine knew that she'd eventually overpower the teen, even if he was on the football team, and she didn't want to accidentally exert too much power in an attempt to defend herself.

"Heh... A witch? Please, what I am is more damning than a witch... What you are on the other hand is ditching. And you call me something else that has to deal with Dodie and you won't like what happens next," Janine threatened with a growl. Sean's aggression was heavy from where she stood - nearly to the point of her being nervous. But her aggression tended to win out on anything else considered rational, so she stayed and stared down the angry male. She subconsciously wanted to give Sean a good whack on his head with her tail.

She probably would've had it not been for Dodie's interference. She nearly looked in her direction when she spoke, but she barely managed to keep her eyes locked on Sean. At her command, Janine made a scoff, and backed away with narrowed eyes. Did she really think that she'd tell Sean that she can talk to her right now? Janine thought that Dodie was out of her mind. But she'd try nonetheless without telling him about Dodie... on the account that she thought Dodie was being too desperate for her own good. "You need to go back to school Sean. We have one more class before school ends, and you are going to be there... So march yourself back to class or else," Janine demanded with a snarl.

Last edited:
Sean glared at Janine. "Yeah, I'm ditching, but what the hell do you care? And you're ditching too, you prick! Didn't you hear the bell, idiot?" Despite what most high school movies and television shows may have you believe, Hollowview High was nearly void of bullying. Jocks would usually just leave nerds alone, and popular girls would just keep their gossip to their closest friends. So, this name calling was out of character. "And was that a threat? I could take you any day, whore!" He spat.

At her demands, he scoffed. "Are you some sort of idiot?" He asked seriously. "I'm not going to do anything you tell me to! I'm not some doormat!" He hesitated, wondering if the next thing he was going to say was going too far. He decided it wasn't. "Dodie might have been, but I won't be." He finished, cutting his hand through the air as if to indicate the end of the conversation. With that, he turned around and walked away at a speed that was so slow it seemed almost taunting.

Dodie stared after her twin, jaw dropped in shock. After a few seconds of quiet, she whispered; "he was never that mean at home."

Janine blinked in shock and anger at the names Sean spat at her. She'd never seen nor heard him so apt to such derogatory lengths to get a point across, and it sorta hurt to be the main target of these names.

Never one to do such actions that would earn the name 'whore' really struck something in Janine. She didn't think it was right to call her such a name, and it split her between backing off in pain, or lunging forward in a rage.... Unfortunately, certain..... components wouldn't allow her to just back off from a single hurtful word, and her brain ended up giving all aggressive and anger- related chemicals, resulting in Janine's blood slowly grow hot and her body twitchy as she stood.

The indirect challenge of a fight made Janine so eager to lunge at him, and her eyes narrowed as her pupils slowly went into slits. The veil of control was wearing severely thin; it was honestly a miracle that Janine didn't shift and maul Sean right where he stood, but she strained in keeping herself in control. She was doing fine so far and she can go about the rest of her day without problems. Everything seemed to be somewhat okay for Janine....

That was.... until Sean called Dodie a doormat. This tore down the last shreds of control Janine struggled so hard to keep up. How dare a brother speak about his dead sibling like that! As she stood, her hands were well clenched up into fists, and her glare was borderline murderous. She twitched an ear at Dodie's voice and turned slightly to her; her eyes were almost glowing brown and her slitted eyes seemed to pierce the air.

"He's going to regret saying that," Janine whispered in a growl before she sat down her backpack on the sidewalk and pulled her hands from within her pockets. Her demeanor changed drastically from simply angry and still to outraged and intent on inflicting damage. She snuck up behind Sean and stretched her arms down to his legs, where she she struck her hand on the area directly behind the knee to make him kneel over. She bounced to the side and made a loud growl, glaring at Sean with a fierce rage.

Dodie jumped at Janine's change in appearance. She couldn't figure out what was different, but she could feel the menace in the air. "Jan...Janine?" She whispered. "Janine, stop!" She shouted after her as she walked up behind Sean. "Please, Janine, I don't know what you're going to do, but he can beat you in a fight! I know that sounds bad, but I didn't mean it as an insult or anything, but can you please just stop?!" She plead, walking alongside her best friend. She reached out to try and stop her Janine before she did any damage, but as usual, her hand went through.

Sean made a loud 'oof' as he fell to the ground. He lifted his head and met Janine's eyes, face filled with confusion as to how he'd been so quickly taken down and fury that she'd dared to do it. "Leave me alone!" He snapped, pushing himself back onto his feet. He dusted off some flakes of dirt from his jeans and kept on walking, just faster, and with ten times more determination to get the hell away from Janine.

Dodie looked at Janine. "Please Janine, it isn't worth it. He'll beat you up bad, I've seen him do stuff like that before. Please, please Janine," she begged. She walked up to Janine to look her in the eyes. She finally noticed what was wrong; her eyes - unlike Dodie's, which were dull - were glowing. The pupils were frightening slits. Dodie stumbled back a few steps in horror, holding her hands close to her chest. "Janine? What's happened to you?" She whispered.

Janine balled her hands in fists as she watched Sean get back up. His demand to be alone would've fallen on deaf ears, and Janine took a few steps to approach him again, but Dodie's words had finally reached her attention. She paused and growled a little at the ghost, eyes narrowed with anger towards the older brother as she huffed through her nose.

"Hurt me, ha. He'll be on the ground before he knew it and I'll bloody him up as he begs for mercy," Janine snarled as she crossed her arms.
Then she noticed Dodie gasp and back away. Was it something Janine said? Her demeanor softened up slightly as she noticed Dodie's expression, changing from angered to confused in a matter of moments. Her arms gradually fell to their sides and she skimmed over Dodie's whole demeanor. It was as if she saw something bad.

"What happened to me? What are you-"

Suddenly, Janine stopped herself when she noticed her blood running hot, then remembered her behavior from the last few mimutes. Overly aggressive? Growling? And her eyesight was even more clear and sharper. Janine backed away and made a grab for her pockets, pulling out her phone to see her reflection on the black screen. She gasped when she finally realized what Dodie saw: her eyes... And they were still in slits. Almost immediately Janine whimpered and covered her eyes with her hand.

"You... Weren't supposed to see that. I'm... I'm sorry Dodie. I can't... I have to go," Janine said as she turned on her feet and ran back to school, snagging her backpack from the ground without stopping. She ran even faster than she did the first time, wanting to get as far away from Dodie as possible.

When Janine finally got to the pathway that she came from earlier, she busted her way through the doors. Thankfully, there was nobody even near the vicinity to be able to hear the slam, and it permitted Janine to just run away as she was barely on the verge of panicked tears. She ran up the stairs and through some hallways, and down a corridor that was filled with empty classrooms. She went to the second to last one, and with great hope, pushed on the latch of the door to see if it was unlocked. To her great relief, the door was unlocked, and Janine ran inside the darkened and cooled room to hide from the rest of the school.

Last edited:
Dodie stared after Janine in shock, not running after her until she had turned a corner and disappeared. "Janine!" She called too late, and started to run after her. She felt even slower than before, and by the time she even got back into the school Janine had long gone. She rushed out to the main corridor, still shouting Janine's name.

It wasn't long before she realised that Janine wasn't going to reappear. "Janine!" She called one last time, sinking to her knees in the middle of the corridor. It wasn't like anyone could see her; she had nothing to be ashamed of. She looked around hopelessly, not knowing what to do. Maybe she could just go to the school gates and wait?

She heard footsteps come out of the library, and stop. She looked over her shoulder, hoping that it was Janine, but it wasn't. It was Ethan, staring right at her. For a second, Dodie thought that he could see her, but that probably wasn't the case. He was just looking around. She chuckled a little and turned away.

"No, I can," a voice whispered.

Dodie jumped and looked around. Where had that come from? It wasn't...

She looked over her shoulder and saw Ethan, still looking at her. He shuffled his bag on his shoulder, looking awkwardly down at the floor. "I can see you, Dorothy," he whispered, walking a few steps closer.

Dodie shook her head slowly. "How?" She whispered back. "I thought..."
Ethan shrugged. "It runs in my family," he explained in a whisper, walking closer. He gently reached down and wrapped his hand around Dodie's elbow. Surprisingly, he could hold her; he lifted her to her feet. "My father can do it. So can my grandfather. My younger brother can as well." He glanced around the corridor. "Here, let's go into the library. I'll write and you can talk, okay?"

Dodie nodded slowly, but then quickly shook her head. "No, I need to go find Janine!" She said, pulling her arm out of his grasp.
Ethan hesitated. "She can't see you, Dorothy," he said slowly. "It won't make you feel any better. I've been helping people in this school ever since I got here. I can help you too."
Dodie shook her head again. "No, no, she can see me," she said. "We've spoken. Something happened and she ran off, and I need to find her. You can help me by helping me find her."

There was quiet for a few seconds, and Ethan sighed. "Okay. Let me ask someone. Let's go sit on the stairs, at least, so no one sends me off to the asylum." With that, he walked off in the direction of one of the lesser used staircases in the school. He perched on the bottom step and Dorothy sat beside him, nudging her glasses up her nose.

Ethan turned his fist to the wall beside him and knocked a few times. A few seconds later, he said, "hey Yvonne. Have you seen..." and then launched into a full description of Janine. The problem was that Dodie couldn't see anyone. After a few minutes of silence, Ethan nodded. "Right, thanks. I'll come by later to see everyone, okay?" He smiled. "See you later."

Dodie stared at Ethan. "What just happened?" She asked.
Ethan looked confused for a moment. "Oh, you've not faded yet." He said, as if it was obvious. "It was another ghost. A girl named Yvonne. She attended the school in 1988. She sees pretty much everything." He hesitated. "You're the only ghost in the school that's not faded." He smiled softly. "You've still got time to pass on."

"I don't understand," Dodie admitted with a shake of her head. "What does 'faded' mean?"
Ethan sighed. "We'll deal with it later." He stood up. "Yvonne saw where Janine went, anyways. She gave me directions. Just follow me," he said, and started walking up the stairs. Dodie followed.

As they walked the corridors, Ethan would occasionally smile and nod at thin air. Dodie assumed that they were other ghosts that she just couldn't see, for some reason. Eventually, they came to a door. There obviously wasn't a class behind it, as it was entirely silent. "In here." Ethan said, knocking a few times on the door before opening it up. "Janine?" He called softly into the room.

Janine was panting heavily as she looked around in the classroom. She had chosen this room because it was one of the classrooms that we're temporarily designed as a quiet room for those who couldn't contain their grief for a period of time. It was far away from most of the active classes, so it was logic that Janine came this way.
Her body was still under the effects of her anger. She was able to see very well and her body was pulsing with her demon blood. She could hear the blood pulsing from within her ears. She kept thinking about how close she was to losing her temper, and how harsh Sean was for it to happen. She felt her fangs grow sharper.

"Stop it... He's gone now.... I.... I can't change here," Janine muttered to herself as she crawled over to the corner and curled herself up. She dropped her backpack and stripped her jacket for the first time in a public place in a long time, trying to let the cooler air waft over her body in an attempt to cool her down.

She had closed her eyes and forced herself to think of the positive things, like her mother and father... Her best friend. She sighed and laid down as her breathing quietly steadied, and her demonic side was gradually getting calmed by the silence.

Until she heard a knock on the door.

Janine's eyes flew open when she heard a voice on the other side of the door. And it was a male's voice as well. Janine narrowed her eyes, growling softly as she quietly but quickly grabbed her stuff and pulled it to the shadowed areas, hiding herself in a more covered area to hide from the incoming light from the other side of the door. She hid from view under a cluster of desks, and their four legs made it hard to make out any sort of shape under it from a distance. Her pupils narrowed into slits once more as she watched a boy come in from through the door, her body silent and still as he called her name.

'Now how does he know my name?' Janine thought with a low huff.

Ethan stepped into the room. As soon as he did, however, he stumbled blindly back out, hacking and coughing into his elbow. "What...what the hell?" He wheezed after the fit. He looked up at Dodie, eyes watering from sheer stress. "How...how much do you really know about Janine?" He said in a whisper.
Dodie's eyes widened. "What do you mean? She's my best friend, we know pretty much everything about each other."
Ethan thought for a second, mouth pulled into a line. He muttered something under his breath to the floor, then turned to Dodie. "You stay out here."
Dodie raised an eyebrow. "Why?" She asked, trying to walk past Ethan to look into the room. He grabbed her by the shoulders and pushed her back.
"No, you don't understand. You can't, you'll fade. You'll be stuck here forever!" He hissed. While she was frozen in confusion, he took a step back and slammed the door shut, knowing that Dodie couldn't do anything about it.

Ethan put one hand over his nose and mouth, slipping his bag off his shoulders and onto the ground. Still only using one hand, he unzipped his bag and pulled out a small bottle of water, around as long as his index finger. He slipped it into the front pocket of his jeans, and then pulled out a silver set of rosary beads. He also tucked these into his pocket. All of this he did with his back to Janine. He stood back up and turned around, still covering his nose and mouth like the air was poison. To him, it seemed that it was; every few seconds he would cough or groan.

In Ethan's eyes, the room was far more than just a classroom. The air was thick with a dark mist and it all seemed to be radiating from one point; under one of the desks. With the things in his pocket, a way was cleared enough for him that he could see without tripping over his own feet. He shuffled towards the desk and crouched down. The mist was so thick that he couldn't see Janine, but he knew that she was there. He sat down on the floor, crossing his legs. He lifted one hand up and put it to his temple to try and calm the searing headache that was starting. "What's it's name?" He asked in Janine's general direction, voice muffled from behind his hand.

Last edited:
Janine watched as the boy retreated back from the doorway, curious as to why he was acting the way he was. She didn't smell anything strange in the room, so why was he gasping for air and covering his mouth and nose? With steady eyes, the teen kept her sights on the strange boy, entertaining the idea of jumpscaring him and interrogating him for being in the dark classroom. But now, he was unzipping his backpack and pulling different objects out of it; from what she was able to hear, one of the objects was a necklace. 'Now what is he pulling out? I have a bad feeling about this now,' Janine thought as she slowly turned around to face the boy.

When he approached her desk, Janine gasped inwardly and rounded out her pupils, feeling a bit more in control with her body even thought she still felt something off with the boy. When he actually crouched down to look under the desk, Janine assumed he actually saw her, so she narrowed her eyes and backed away a few inches, turning her head to avert her eyes form his face. She didn't know what to expect from the boy; well, she kinda expected for him to mention something about her being under the desk, but she didn't get that. Instead, Janine got a rather strange question from her standpoint. She looked back at the boy, who actually sitting down yet wasn't quite looking at her, but was close enough even though he had his eyes open. Perhaps it was the dark.... but even then it wasn't so terribly dark. Janine's eyes narrowed as she shuffled on her palms.

"What's who's name?" Janine asked slowly and carefully.

Ethan waited for a response from beyond the dark mist, half anticipating an attack. His hand drifted from his temple to his pocket, wrapping his fingers around the bottle of holy water. "The thing. It's not told you it's name yet?" He asked, eyebrows raising in surprise. "Weird. Lots of them like to do it on the first day...uh, anyway," he shuffled backwards so there was more space between where he assumed Janine was and himself. "You're probably in a good deal of pain right now, and that's a good thing. As long as you can still feel the human stuff, I can find someone to get rid of the thing for you." He preferred to call the demons 'things'. The less you acknowledge their entire existence, the less power they have. They might try harder, but they'll be a lot less strong.

He noticed a small break in the mist; the demon must have been easing off. That was a lot weirder than anything else. Usually demons would ramp up the defence if they figured they were being found out. He grit his teeth, finally finding Janine, a few inches off of what he'd been looking at. "Right, okay. It's chilling out, I think. Good. Weird, but good. Are you feeling better?" With the mist thinning out, he moved his hand away from his mouth and dug the rosary beads out of his pocket. "Here, you can use these. I have other pairs," he said, holding the silver beads out to Janine.

Janine tensed up when the boy reached down in his pocket and pulled out a clear liquid. At first glance it seemed like normal water, so she didn't ask any immediate questions, but her demonic side sensed something else from that water. She eyed it warily, unable to decipher whether the water was a true threat or not. She hesitated in asking what the liquid was, but decided against it, in fear of being considered weird. But for the moment, the weird thing was how the boy was speaking. Why did he keep saying 'thing'? Did he know something she did not? The questions were slowly irritating her, but she kept herself quiet so she could try and get a whole picture of the situation she was in. She was honestly unsure of how he was able to come to her room so easily; she was sure nobody was following her, so where did he come from. And he knew her name.... When had he they met? She rarely talked to anybody else other than Dodie, so when did she see him? Then again, she didn't look up that much while walking since she learned how to walk without seeing all of her surroundings due to her hood covering her eyes.

All of these things were concerning for Janine. She needed to know how this kid found her so she can find a better way to avoid him and hide better. But for now, she was concerned about these strange subjects and what he was doing here. When he asked if she was feeling better, Janine scoffed and crawled a bit closer to the boy. As he pulled out beads her suspicions were increased; this kid wasn't on the same level as 'normal'. Rosary beads? Was that the necklace that she saw earlier? With a sigh, Janine mentally scolded herself for letting a religious kid in her presence. To her, they were nothing but trouble, trying to ingrain their beliefs onto other people. Janine wasn't against religion, just the people who forcefully tried to oppress the people with it. But at the same time, she had a strange feeling when it came to passing religious grounds like churches.
Her instincts told her 'no', but unwilling to be considered rude towards him, Janine took the beads in her hand and clenched them.... For only a few seconds. Within those seconds, her hand began to burn as if she was touching the hot rods of an oven. Being half serpentine demon, she was more tolerant of heat, but this was a different kind of burning sensation. It wasn't intense, but it was enough to shock her into dropping the beads. With a harsh hiss, she backed further under the desks, the pain immediately ebbing as she separated herself from the necklace. Janine looked at her hands, which were thankfully not showing any burns or marks, then the seemingly harmless beads sitting on the floor, then at the teenage boy a few feet from her. She panted for a moment before growling at the boy, her eyes shifting for a moment before she crawled her way around the beads and towards him.

"Now what the hell was that?! Those beads burned me! What in the hell are you trying to pull on me?" Janine asked as she got steadily closer to the seated boy.

As soon as the beads touched Janine's skin, the mist started to creep back into the room. "Whoa, hey now," he mumbled, Janine disappearing from his sight once more. When the burning finally kicked in, Ethan was blinded. His head exploded with pain and he shuffled quickly backwards, holding his head in his hands. "Bloody hell!" He shouted, glad that they were in a mostly deserted part of a school. He took a deep breath, but instantly had to splutter it back out, the thick miasma choking him as long as it was allowed free reign of his lungs. He lifted his head to try and find Janine in the thick mist, but there was no chance of it happening unless she was half an inch away from his face. He listened to what she said, but it was like his head was underwater. He'd bitten off way more than he could chew.

The rosary beads on the floor radiated a faint clearing light that brushed away the mist. He reached out and grabbed them, holding them like an adventurer in a cave would hold a lantern. "You need to calm...the thing down!" He panted between grunts of pain, mouth behind his hand. He lifted the rosary beads to clear some of the mist, eventually finding Janine's eyes. He slowly rose to his feet, maintaining eye contact with Janine as long as he could. "It might...burn for...a few seconds...but...but a-afterwards...you'll...feel ten times better, I...I promise," he wheezed. He pulled his shirt up over his nose and mouth and, now with two free hands, he reached out and grabbed Janine by the wrist, shoving the rosary beads into her hand.

Back