New User A Sack Full of Halos

Arcane

That should read 'hellos'. As in hello. I'm Arcane or Arc, whatever your preference. I'm a former storyteller looking to become a current storyteller.

I was originally attracted to this place because of the name. I actually prefer the term storyteller to role player (I still use both) as it better defines part of the experience I am looking for. The other part is that of a reader by enjoying the contributions of my fellow storytellers.

I get the appeal of the more competitive aspects of role play and I'm certainly not above participating in that side, it's just not my main focus.

I'm not really sure what else to say but I'm open to questions and prodding so feel free to take a shot at me and watch me dance.

Ah, alright. Well, if you haven't read the new member guide it would be a great start. Just a few posts here and there to get to know you is all it takes and you'll be writing in no time. On that note, what kind of writing styles do you enjoy?

Ah, alright. Well, if you haven't read the new member guide it would be a great start. Just a few posts here and there to get to know you is all it takes and you'll be writing in no time. On that note, what kind of writing styles do you enjoy?

I scoped the site for a day before joining so I saw the new member guide and read the rules. The whole account requiring approval is new to me but it seems like a good way to weed out some of the bad seeds so that's cool. At any rate, I'm unsure how soon I'll even get into the role playing side of things. I see myself spending some time in the Creative Forums and the Writer's Circle for a while first.

When you say writing style, are you referring to genres? Otherwise I would have to say my favorite style is narrative but I'm also a sucker for world building and I'd label that under expository. I'm a simple man with simple tastes. I like speculative fiction with a preference towards horror and fantasy. I love reading science fiction but my writing in the genre leaves a lot to be desired. Still, I try to read and write outside of my preferences as a challenge and to keep myself on my toes.

I just started on The Dresden Files and am currently on the 5th or 6th book. I don't have a high opinion of them but they're easily consumable and I've never actually read anything in the first-person narrative. I always hear about how first-person is the easiest POV to write in and I've only tried it a couple of times but it always felt awkward so I'd like to improve on that in the Creative Forum.

How about you, my furry, masked friend? What floats your boat?

Sounds like you did your homework before joining. That's great. I think we could say that all of us have a genre, or two that need some work. For me fantasy has a bit to be desired when I write it, but I just figure it is more about telling the story and writing a good character. There is no hard rule on writing. That is why it is an art and sometimes a science. The science part is how you structure the sentences, etc. Anyway, I think that when it comes to specific writing styles I do prefer third person, especially if I'm writing with others. However, first person has an interesting twist and it can make a solo piece somewhat unique. If I am role playing I tend to do world building, sci fi, some fantasy and always a bit of action. Who can say no to some good action?

Sounds like you did your homework before joining. That's great. I think we could say that all of us have a genre, or two that need some work. For me fantasy has a bit to be desired when I write it, but I just figure it is more about telling the story and writing a good character. There is no hard rule on writing. That is why it is an art and sometimes a science. The science part is how you structure the sentences, etc. Anyway, I think that when it comes to specific writing styles I do prefer third person, especially if I'm writing with others. However, first person has an interesting twist and it can make a solo piece somewhat unique. If I am role playing I tend to do world building, sci fi, some fantasy and always a bit of action. Who can say no to some good action?

Creating engaging characters and stories are really the fundamentals. I believe if you can do that then there is no genre of fiction that isn't open to you. But science fiction is a tricky beast for me. I can whip up a space opera as well as I can a high fantasy adventure. But once you start getting into how the laser pistol works rather than how cool the hero looks holding it, then I start to lose my nerve. I can pull magic out of my butt and make it sound at least half-plausible but I am as lost with pseudoscience as I am real science. But like you said, it is more about characters and story so everything else is just research and consistency.

If I write something in the first-person, it would likely never be longer than a short story. I definitely prefer third-person subjective over any other narrative. I can deal with an omniscient narrator if the story is really good and I like the characters but it always feels like the narrator is coming between me and the characters and it keeps reminding me that this is just a story and I'm unable to lose myself in it. I think I could deal with a mixture of the two as long as it leans more towards the subjective narrator. A bad habit of mine is that I tend to mix up my tenses and then when I try to make corrections, I end up overthinking it and get frustrated. It's an amateur problem I aim on fixing.

I sometimes world-build without any intention of writing a story in that world just because I love the process. It also sometimes gives me ideas for other worlds in which I do write stories. And I definitely can't say no to some good action. I read a variety of fantasy authors each who have their own style and strengths. I love Brandon Sanderson for his amazing world building (and pretty much everything else, if we're being honest). I also read R.A. Salvatore and even though I think his plots and characters are juvenile (not as an insult), he writes some of the BEST action scenes I've ever read.

I'd love to pass myself off as some deep intellectual type who only enjoys plots of an esoteric, philosophical nature but I'd be full of it. I probably couldn't even properly identify that sort of plot. I find just as much enjoyment in a basic adventure story of swords and sorcery as I do a spanning epic of love and tragedy.

Last edited:
Wow, you're really on here a lot. That's great! You can catch me in the chat room for a bit. I usually am on here a little more, but I've recently had a major surgery and I've had a family member living with me and that has cut into some of the habitual online chatting. Lol That might be a good thing.

Wow, you're really on here a lot. That's great! You can catch me in the chat room for a bit. I usually am on here a little more, but I've recently had a major surgery and I've had a family member living with me and that has cut into some of the habitual online chatting. Lol That might be a good thing.

For now. I'm between jobs at the moment so I am currently killing time at least as quickly as it's killing me. I have an interview on Monday. Go me. Pretty soon I'll be swimming in that sweet 2nd shift money.

Hehehe, yeah. I work the regular 8:30-5:30 p.m. shift. Going to try for some full time hours next week. Only about 5.5 weeks after surgery now.

Back