A Step Into Madness : Scene 1 Act 1 The Morning After

DeJoker

Master of Mayhem
This thread starts the story involving Allen Black an artist from sunny California that has become a fairly recent immigrant to the bleaker region of Massachusetts. And a man in search of the less common information that lies hidden in various places, some that he has already visited but most that he has not even heard of yet. Today the newspaper will bring him an item that may not only tickle his muse but torture it as well. Will this fuel help explain his nightmares or simply make them worse.

Allen woke with a start, his heart pounding in his chest, the sweat congealing on his skin. Not necessarily an uncommon experience over the last five years, but never a pleasant one either. He always had a sense of foreboding and paranoia when he initially awakened in this state but he could never remember enough to figure out why. Just flashes of color in various hues of blue, red, and black was all he could ever bring up from the depths of his mind. He also knew there was no sense of trying to get back to sleep either. The feelings would pass in time but until they did they never let him sleep while they were present. So he simply got up and slipped on a robe and headed downstairs. Descending the stairs he could smell that Arianna was busy in the kitchen, which was another situation that made no sense to him. Still it is what it is, and for him it was rather reassuring if not a bit awkward at times.

Stepping into the kitchen he is greeted by the usual cheerful Arianna in the manner that she always did, "Hi honey, coffee's ready and the newspaper is on the table. I will have breakfast finished here in a bit. How did you sleep?"

The question might seem innocuous by most but Arianna was quite aware of Allen's sleep issues and while she did not share his room she did share his house. Further she proved to be a solid grounding mechanism for Allen to talk through his feelings and such. The getting it off his chest and out into the air, no matter how many times he did it, always seemed to start the recovery process and if he did not do this, which happened from time to time, he found that those feelings stayed with him a lot longer and generally poorly affected his day and that often meant they would revisit him on the next night. He had yet to fully test what might happen if he did not go through this recovery process but if the short trials he had embarked on were any indicator he most likely would eventually either get no sleep or the sleep he got would be completely filled with whatever it was filled with when he woke up in this state. There was a chance, from what he had learned thus far about the occult that the line between his dream world and the real world might blur or even go away altogether. Neither of those concepts made the thought of actually finding out what might happen all that appealing.

For now there was the morning paper and Arianna was already pouring him a cup of coffee for him to get things started.

Allen sat there, trying to recollect hit thoughts before answering anything. His memories of those nights were so blurry and unsure, only feelings remained for the most part. "Aren't you bored of hearing the same old stories?" He forced a chuckle, grabbing the mug of steaming hot coffee before him. The smell alone seemed to activate his brain. Hot, a single sugar and a single milk, as he expected. Arianna replied, amusement in her voice : "Of course not!"

The man smiled to himself before taking another sip. His eyes wandered over his copy of the Boston ******* as he answered : "Feelings, I still can't make out any shape out of them. Or maybe I can, yet cannot remember. I don't know." He closed his eyes, his head lowering as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Dread, it's horrible, I feel like my mind's been warning me since I've been in New York." 'And yet here you are' He shrugged "I should probably try to put them on a canvas. Do you think it would sell? I could call it." He paused, Arianna watching as he opened his hands before him, as if presenting something epic : "Dread, by Allen Black." They both laughed, Arianna commented "Edgy!" and just like that, the artist focus went back to the paper.

Pharmaceutical company makes millions after cold epidemic! 'Boring' The headlines always were, or at least for the most part. No, Allen was looking for the unexplained, the bizarre, the unusual. Of course papers were full of those, but some things really did stand out more than others.

A bit puzzled as to what I can and cannot control. Did read the part about in game posting. Not used to not have full control of my character, may take me a while to get used, hope it's ok! Oh and sorry for the late reply... I was quite busy last week.

Last edited:
Allen eventually found an article of interest in perhaps the most unlikely places within the Boston Globe, the real-estate section. Apparently a Joe Kennedy, someone rather important down in Boston, just purchased a rather old house that is believed to be haunted. The article comments about the fact that the house has stood vacant since the last occupants were removed due to strange circumstances and that was not the first time strange things had occurred there. The article however focuses more on the speculation of what this Mr Kennedy might do with the property and how that might increase the land values in the area. Of course that part of the article held very little interest to Allen it was the strange circumstances and that they happened more than once that really caught his eye. Still there was very little to go on in the article which was typical and this meant if there was something of note he would have to do some digging for it. Luckily enough, because its the real-estate section, the paper contained the address of the house and the name of real-estate company that sold it and that would at least be a solid starting point. Besides as strange as it has been, he has learned that sometimes the first litmus test was to paint the subject and see what his painting revealed to him.

You can control your character's actions but not always the results of those actions. You can also, as you did, control your NPC/PCs to some degree. You can sometimes introduce NPC/PCs to help with your post just be careful that that introduction does supply you with something you do not have and/or could not obtain normally. I am sure you have read the other thread and if you have not do so. Further you have the White Zone if you have a question on something being allowable or not -- so use it as much as you need. The only bad question in my book is the one that was not asked.

Back