Am i the only who uses canon characters over OCs?

As many have noticed (or not yet), i prefer using canon characters from some verses because i feel more comfortable than OCs,

i don't meet any canon tought.. most characters i meet are OCs,

so my question is: am i the only who still using canon characters over OCs?

I personally don't like using characters from television shows or anime or books or video games, I just find it too difficult. I don't like being tied to that characters personality, and I feel awkward replying as a well established charcater, because everyone has their own views of how that charcater should reply, but with an original character, you have a load of wiggle room, because you made the character and you know what they should do.

The only charcater I use who is based of canon is Wilson Maxwell, based of Wilson from Don't Starve. Even then, the only stuff I use is the fact that he is a science guy, and he goes insane in the dark. The fact that Wilson has little to no personality in the game, Don't Starve being rouge-like, let's me determine his personality.

And I'm not too find of playing with people's canon charcaters because they use the lore from whatever series it is from, and I'm not always well acquainted with it. Another reason is that, let's face it, every character is overpowered in their series, at least one time, and I find that people tend to bring this one moment of "over nine-thousand" into the role play every few posts.

I may have got a bit off topic, but that's my thoughts on it all.

While there may be far more original character, I would think that it's fun to make one, but they are so varied, the fact that there are so many is irrelevant.

I'm pretty much the same as Naaz here.

I've never felt comfortable playing a premade character - whether it's in OC that the GM needs in their RP or a canon character from a show. I've never been in to writing fanfiction, though. And I feel like my lack of overall knowledge of things would mean that it just wouldn't work. I don't watch any anime, which when I've seen people looking for canon characters, it's pretty much been from animes or at least shows I don't watch. So, I end up not feeling comfortable playing a character that I know nothing about in the end.

The only fandom I feel comfortable enough to portray canon characters (if I had a reason to portray them or in general, just felt like playing them) is Vampire Knight. The rest of the fandoms I know I'm squat at portraying their canons.

It's funny that don't starve was brought up because that was going to be my example.

The only time I've played an established character is regarding done starve. My partner and I do max and Wilson respectively. Our personalities are fairly similar to the characters, so that might be part of it.

I don't enjoy even reading fanfic, however.

I always feel really awkward writing within a fandom. Even inside of an established world. If it's a character I've created in a world that myself and/or my RP partners have designed and imagined, then there's a lot more freedom. I don't feel constrained to fit someone else's vision of what the character should act like, because it's my character. On the few occasions I've written within a fandom, I felt like there was a lot more pressure to deliver something that was accurate to the original story. What if I don't write the character how my partner(s) are expecting? What if my knowledge of the canon lore isn't the same depth as my partner(s)? It just feels a lot less relaxed.

But I don't think it's ever possible to have too many OCs. It sounds a bit like saying "there are too many books in this library," doesn't it?

I've written both and I've found that there are both good and bad for both. In straight story telling when I'm writing alone I can write in fandom settings and in original settings quite easily, if I know enough about the fandom I'm in to write in it. When I first started writing, I preferred writing OCs for the reasons that people have mentioned, and the fact that it was more interesting for me. However, more recently I've gone into writing canon characters and I don't have much of a preference really. If I like the character, can relate to it and have muse for writing the character then it doesn't matter. In role-playing, though, I prefer fandom worlds over original settings. This is because I don't always know what the creator has in mind for the 'canon' and lore of their world. It is easier for me get into something that is familiar. When it comes to writing characters, I prefer canons to OCs in rp, not because they are easier or more appealing to write, but because I've found I get a more positive response to them from other people. Similarly, I prefer writing males in rp than females because of the same reason. (It's sad, really, to be honest, because I'd like to write them both equally.)

I usually write OC characters, but sometimes I do base them (vaguely) off of canon ones, if only to help me flesh out their personality and backstory and all that more. But yeah, I'm okay with canon characters, but prefer the freedom of OCs. (Plus, I often don't know enough about canon to best roleplay a canon character.)

Back