anime vs real life roleplay

Ismailjr6

I have roleplayed both but never a roleplay based on a tv show or a movie, who do you guys think is better ?

I've tried both and... honestly don't have a real reason to say one is definitely better than the other. Having the content and lore already in existence makes set up so much easier. All you have to do is decide what's canon and where to start from. But it also, for some, limits creative freedom. I've actually seen a lot of roleplays end when players can't quit arguing over whether xyz thing would exist in the world or not (mermaids in Twilight per se). And it's like, 10x more frequent in TV show based game than movies. It's always those TV shows with a bajillion episodes and tons of content that result in players sitting around with too much content to swim through. Movies leave so many plot holes just sitting around for you to find that you gotta fill them in with something. And they're easier to steal ideas from. One of my favorite roleplays was one based on The Hunger Games, only twisted to be about mutants and racial identity. It had a strong background and none of the players that joined were so obsessed with the original that we were unhappy modifying it.

I would never ask a Harry Potter fan to deviate too far from the original storyline though haha.

If we're talking about picture claims, I'd say that I'd avoid RL celebrities, and to a very good extent, pre-established characters. You have no idea how many times I've seen that Shibuya Rin FC.

But yeah, aside from that, there's literally no difference from a basis point of view.

It all boils down to individual shows, and that in turn means that only you have the answer.

I've tried roleplaying as real peoples or in defined fictional worlds. I've always felt hampered with the need to pay respect to the fictional universe I'd be residing in rather than adding to it.

I think it depends on how the roleplay goes about it.
Are they a bit free form? Are they crazy we-kill-anything-not-cannon?
I've been in both, with people who are loosey-goosey when it comes to the way the anime/tv show was done
and the crazy elitist that throw lore or episodes at you when you write something different.
I enjoy both of the styles a lot, but if it's written too constrictive, it may flavor my opinion in the opposite direction.

Well, in my honestl opinion, I like doing real people. Yes, I make up the characters, but I roleplay them as (mostly) humans in the human world, but usually with super powers. Sometimes I do use characters from an anime or a comic that I enjoy, but I only do that when I'm roleplaying with my cousin and we're shipping two of the characters.

Cant stand anime, the vhole style annoys me. So rl roleplay is the only option for me.

Whatever makes the most sense given the context of the universe, though in either case, it will benefit from a set of strict but simple to remember ground rules being established for how the universe functions.

Anime is my least favorite since the writing for anime is most of the time bad. movies are pretty open ended, video games it depends and tv shows wouldn't touch it at all since the lore is usually pretty strict.

Back