New User Antisocial wishing for social interaction...

Crescent Moon

Light has no shadow.
Hi guys, I honestly am at a blank for how to introduce myself. I've been a writer and an avid reader for many years now and I've done RPs in the past but I may be out of practice. In my stories, I've always been good at making decent characters and elaborate backstories. I can bring a story to life almost effortlessly. However, when it comes to the climax and the finish, I've never been able to write something I am happy with. I hope that by being here I can learn from others how to bring out the ending that is deep in my mind. I also hope to find great stories on here that are truly amazing and unique. It's so hard to find a good story these days that don't follow the pattern of every other story. It's so hard to find something you can't predict what will happen. I want to come to a point in my life where I can be proud of every story that escapes my fingertips. In the meantime, maybe I can find friends or mentors that can help me achieve my inner dream. I hope I can meet you all and that we can share great stories together.

Howdy Crescent Moon, and welcome to Storyteller's Circle! Ironic though our introduction requirements may come with this statement; I too usually am at a total loss when it's time to introduce myself. However, have no fear, you've certainly done a fine job of it. Enough that I can catch a glimpse of a kindred soul, with a problem that although I've lessened, still rears it's head with regularity.

Like you, I always seem to get that flash when I finally hit that stride in making a character. That tingle that says: Yes, you exist now and I know you. In my head will be the broad strokes waiting to define this character's life. I know what kind of home life formed their early years and colored the rest of their perception. I know what they misspent their youth on long before this point. I know what forks in the road they took to get here, to this first post in this RP. It's so clear and finely seen that often when a conclusion point nears, I get the horrible feeling that no matter what approaches, it can't compare to what shaped this short-lived fictional existence.

But.

Not saying this is a universal truth, but I've found something that more often than not banishes the apprehension as a conclusion nears. Collaboration. It seems stupidly obvious of course, after all, isn't that what's been happening on this whole journey in this hypothetical example of an RP? I always thought so, until I finally some people who I meshed with so well, and who were seeking the same thing I was, and most importantly, we told each other of it. An oft neglected part that I've seen a lot of dissatisfied RP'ers not utilize to it's fullest, is the ability to simply clearly voice what they want to take from a story in the spirit of collaboration.

A lot of those people are here with me, and I write with them often enough. Like anyone who puts enough years on this Earth, I've gotten to the point where all the base tropes are laid bare. It's a simple statement of fact that we're all human, there's certain patterns of thought that have been in storytelling for millenia. There's a reason a trope becomes a trope. And sure, we all endeavor to twist and push the boundaries of the designs of yesteryear. Sometimes we even succeed. But with great collaboration? Even an old told tale begins to feel less like an old shoe, and more like a welcomed friend you're re-visiting after a long while.

I've rambled a bit, but I too hope you'll make connections here with us that will let you realize what you're looking for. And if you have any questions or need any help with the site, don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to Storyteller's Circle.

:emoji_sunflower:Welcome!! I'm always at a blank when it comes to talking about myself! So don't feel too bad. :emoji_sunflower:
:emoji_tulip: I'm not too great with writing endings. But, I think I can find plenty of endings here!!:emoji_seedling:
:emoji_seedling:I hope I can become one of your friends! Please enjoy it here and don't hesitate if you need help.:emoji_tulip:

Howdy Crescent Moon, and welcome to Storyteller's Circle! Ironic though our introduction requirements may come with this statement; I too usually am at a total loss when it's time to introduce myself. However, have no fear, you've certainly done a fine job of it. Enough that I can catch a glimpse of a kindred soul, with a problem that although I've lessened, still rears it's head with regularity.

Like you, I always seem to get that flash when I finally hit that stride in making a character. That tingle that says: Yes, you exist now and I know you. In my head will be the broad strokes waiting to define this character's life. I know what kind of home life formed their early years and colored the rest of their perception. I know what they misspent their youth on long before this point. I know what forks in the road they took to get here, to this first post in this RP. It's so clear and finely seen that often when a conclusion point nears, I get the horrible feeling that no matter what approaches, it can't compare to what shaped this short-lived fictional existence.

But.

Not saying this is a universal truth, but I've found something that more often than not banishes the apprehension as a conclusion nears. Collaboration. It seems stupidly obvious of course, after all, isn't that what's been happening on this whole journey in this hypothetical example of an RP? I always thought so, until I finally some people who I meshed with so well, and who were seeking the same thing I was, and most importantly, we told each other of it. An oft neglected part that I've seen a lot of dissatisfied RP'ers not utilize to it's fullest, is the ability to simply clearly voice what they want to take from a story in the spirit of collaboration.

A lot of those people are here with me, and I write with them often enough. Like anyone who puts enough years on this Earth, I've gotten to the point where all the base tropes are laid bare. It's a simple statement of fact that we're all human, there's certain patterns of thought that have been in storytelling for millenia. There's a reason a trope becomes a trope. And sure, we all endeavor to twist and push the boundaries of the designs of yesteryear. Sometimes we even succeed. But with great collaboration? Even an old told tale begins to feel less like an old shoe, and more like a welcomed friend you're re-visiting after a long while.

I've rambled a bit, but I too hope you'll make connections here with us that will let you realize what you're looking for. And if you have any questions or need any help with the site, don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to Storyteller's Circle.

Honestly, that was probably the most beautiful thing I've read in a long while. Thank you for the heart warming introduction. I am beyond excited to try out all the available story options on here.

Back