Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Avenpeak Mountains

as written by Tiko

She frowned and stamped her hooves restlessly as Cinaed started down towards the cavern... with her binoculars no less.

"Wait," Amethea called after him. "We should report back first."

as written by Script and Tiko

"We'll have more to report back if we give it a closer look," Cinaed replied, pausing to look back at her, "I'm not saying we should delve deep into the foreboding cave, but we can give it a quick look over at least! It looks totally deserted - the snow hasn't been disturbed in ages by the looks of it - so it should be fine!" And with that, he continued forwards eagerly.

____

Amethea frowned deeply as she threw a look over her shoulder. It wasn't that she was afraid, but protocol was such that they should report back. If anything happened, Jason and the others wouldn't even know where to begin looking for them. Unfortunately her impulsive companion had other plans as he forged on ahead.

She scowled as she looked back once more before starting after him. She wasn't of the mind to leave him out here alone... especially since she held no illusions that he intended to stop at the entrance.

She chose her steps carefully, but even still she moved at less than half the speed of Cinaed's more spry form, and on a few occasions the ice gave beneath her weight. She was more nimble than her bulk suggested though, and she maintained her footing as she clambered her way after the youth.

She was favoring one of her rear hooves by the time she joined him at the entrance where sharp ice had gashed her ankle on some ice, but it didn't appear particularly serious for the moment.

____

By the time Amethea reached him, Cinaed was crouched down and peering intently at the runes on the pillars. "They're not anything like I recognise, but I'm not very well versed in ... runes. I mean, for all I know they might just be a language I don't know. Like, I bet if someone who'd never been to or heard of Shintenchi came across writing in their languages, they'd think they were magical runes or something. Or the other way around! Runes are just another language when you think about it..."

He trailed off. "Rambling there, sorry. But anyway, I poked them a few times and they didn't start glowing, so that's good at least."

Beside him, the rabbit-hawk sniffed at one of the pillars, wondering what all the fuss was about.

"I'm gonna take a look inside, just far enough in to get an idea of whether it's a cave, or a tunnel, or something else." he said, glancing back at Amethea for the first time. "Oh - your leg! Are you alright?"

____

"It's just a scratch," Amethea replied.

She approached the pillars to get a good look at the runes herself, but they weren't of her people, or of the Ghrigorians. Finally she drew one of her blades, holding it carefully as she nodded for Cinaed to take the lead. Perhaps it was a bit paranoid, but she wasn't in the habit of delving into abandoned looking caves in the middle of potentially hostile mountains without being prepared for some measure of trouble, even if just some local wildlife unhappy to share it's chosen den.

____

Nodding, Cinaed gathered a small ball of flame in his palm. Both for protection, and to use as a light source. He started forwards. In the very entrance of the cave, where the light from outside still fell, it was immediately apparent that it was at least partially man-made. The floor was one of smooth flagstones, cracked in places but largely intact. They had entered a large chamber - large enough that the light from outside and Cinaed's flame did not reach all the edges of it.

Inside, against the back wall, was a statue of a female figure, the details of her attire and face worn away with age - or possibly deliberately eroded. It was hard to tell from a distance. At the base of the statue lay a broken stone slab on a small dais surrounded by a shallow pool of water.

More of the runes from outside were visible scattered around on the walls and floor, as well as on the statue - though those were largely worn away.

"Whoa. Whaddyou think this place is?" Cinaed asked as he walked inside, growing his flame to try and better light the area. "Some sort of temple, maybe? Or maybe this is a like... entrance hall?"

____

"I'm not sure..." Amethea said.

The steady clopping of hooves echoed through the entrance hall as Amethea approached the statue. Her hooves splashed lightly at the edge of the pool as she tried to get a look at the woman's face. It wasn't of any of the northern godesses that she was familiar with.

Something felt strange though and she frowned, looking down where the water licked at her ankle. It was warm... but it left the cut skin tingling as she stepped back from it.

"Hey... get over here," she called to Cinaed as the gash began to knit right before her eyes.

____

"Wow!" Cinaed exclaimed, "That's incredible! You think if we can get the Admiral here it'll... no, wait. When that other guy tried magical healing on her it backfired. I'm guessing this must be magic of some sort, so the same thing might happen."

The teen ran one hand through the water, enjoying the cool on his skin. Of course, it was warm to Amethea, but his own body temperature was much higher. Beside him, the rabbit-hawk hopped over and began drinking from the pool.

"I wonder who she is," he mused, looking up at the statue. Then he blinked. For a moment there, he could have sworn that he saw light in the statue's eyes. Which was odd, since now that he was looking again, its facial features had been worn away. It didn't even have eyes! "Did you... see anything odd just then?" he asked.

____

"Hm? No, I didn't see anything," Amethea remarked. "Here, put some of that water in this," she suggested as she passed a canister over to Cinaed after pouring its original contents out onto the stone floor. "And maybe put some of it on that cut on your arm?"

"I'm going to keep looking around.... and do you smell that? It almost smells like... oil."

As if on cue, the room began to grow lighter as flickers of fire ran down the length of the hall on either side lighting up oil that ran through narrow troughs. Perhaps it had something to do with whatever Cinaed had seen with the statue?

"Well... guess you don't need that anymore," she said with a nod towards Cinaed's ball of light.

With the flood of light through the stone hall, it was evident that there where other passageways leading deeper.

____

Cinaed nodded his head, scooping up a canister full of water. He brought some of the water up to his arm and pressed it against the cut from the bullet wound. Just as Amethea's leg injury had healed, so too did that gash. "That ... that felt really weird. But cool!" he said, staring at the freshly healed skin.

Regaining his focus, he dismissed his fire, placing the cap on the cannister and slipping it into his bag. "How big do you think this place is?" he asked, watching as the room was lit up.

The runes in the walls and floor also began to give off light with the arrival of the fire, but oddly. Individual runes lit up seemingly at random, in a whole spectrum of different colours, with no identifiable effect.

Each passageway out of the room - five in total, had a rune above them. Like the runes on the floor, they too were periodically flashing with different colours. "What's with the light show?" Cinaed wondered out loud.

____

"I'm not sure..." Amethea remarked.

They really should head back, but her own curiosity was piqued at this point. Five passageways... She chose the center most that lead straight ahead, past the statue.

She walked slowly, her eyes cautious as the passageway spilled out into a round room with a large silver framed mirror standing at its center. It was simple in design, and no runes marked the walls or floors within this room. It seemed remarkably out of place with all the flare they had encountered thus far.

The mirror itself was tall enough that a man could stand before it and see the entirety of themself in the reflection.

____

Cinaed followed behind Amethea, emerging into the circular room just after her. He raised a curious eyebrow upon his entry. "A mirror, huh? I wonder if it's magical. It seems odd otherwise to have nothing else here aside from it."

The teen approached the mirror cautiously, looking it up and down, but only his own reflection looked back at him. For all intents and purposes, it seemed like a perfectly normal mirror.

"Let's see..." he began, thinking for a moment before speaking again. "Mirror mirror, on the floor, do you mind telling me what you're for?"

He paused. Nothing happened, and after a few moments he laughed. "Oh well, worth a shot." he said, shrugging his shoulders. "What do you make of it?" he asked, bending forwards to stare at the surface of the mirror, holding his face mere inches away from it.

____

As Cinaed drew closer to the mirror, his eyes locked on his own reflection he would see his image distorting, swirling with the embers of fire that burned from within. Dancing there in the irises of his eyes within the reflection was the winged image of a phoenix.

"Cinaed?" Amethea asked.

She seemed somewhat concerned at the intensity that Cinaed was staring into the mirror, several minutes had passed and she started towards him.

____

Cinaed's eyes widened upon seeing the image in his eyes, leaning backwards and taking a step away from the mirror. The image didn't change, though, despite his movement. His eyes were locked on those of his reflection. "What the..." he murmured.

He blinked.

He opened his eyes. He was running along the rooftops in a crowded city, the yells of guardsmen in the street below chasing him as he laughed gleefully along with the girl who ran alongside him.

He blinked.

He opened his eyes. An arrow brushed by his face, missing him by a hair's breadth, as around him a village burned. People screamed and ran in the face of armoured men bearing torches and swords, but not him. He stood his ground, a sword in his hand, and met the charge.

He blinked.

He opened his eyes. The ranks of an army stretched endlessly to either side of him. Men died in the dirt at his feet, banners flew in the wind, and warhorns tore through the yelling and clashing of steel to rally soldiers to the sound. His katana grazed the armour of the man before him, who swerved out of the way of the strike at the last moment.

He blinked.

His reflection stared back at him with fire in its eyes. Sweat poured down his face. "What is this..?" he stammered, slowly lifting a hand to the mirror and pressing his palm against that of his mirrored self.

____

There was a jolt of energy, akin to an electrical current, that passed through his hand and the mirror as his fingers brushed it. He had never experienced heat in the same way as other people, but in that moment his hand was on fire. He couldn't move though as the energy coursed through him, forcing his body rigid as if something was splitting him in two.

"Cinaed!" Amethea yelled in alarm as she saw him go rigid.

She grabbed his arm to pull his hand from the mirror, but the energy coursed through his arm and into her hand scorching and blistering the flesh as she jerked it away from his arm.

"Cinaed!" she shouted again.

The image that Cinaed was seeing in the mirror was engulfed in flames as the phoenix rose from the fiery embers. He could feel it shrieking within his mind, tearing at his soul.

Amethea reversed her grip on her sword with her good hand and hurtled it towards the mirror. As the point connected, the glass began to crack and then shatter leaving Cinaed to fall to the stone floor.

____

Searing hot pain filled Cinaed's body as the mirror tore at something deep inside him that he had never even known was there. Heat, unimaginable heat seared through his hand and up his arm and he cried out in pain.

The phoenix reared its head, spreading its wings and shrieking, mirroring his own cry of anguish. He tried desperately to pull away, but it wasn't until Amethea threw the sword and shattered the mirror that he was released.

He fell to his knees, eyes wide and staring. The heat faded, and was replaced by a terrible, unbearable coldness. He gasped, a wrenching feeling of emptiness filling his gut. "No... no... no..." he breathed, "What have... what have you done?" he scrambled forwards, grasping at the shards of the mirror and desperately trying to piece them together, "No, where is it... wh- wh..." The teen stammered, beginning to shake and shiver as though he'd just been plunged into an icy lake. He dropped the glass shards as his hands became too unsteady to grip them. "Wh... when did it get s-s-so c-c-cold?"

By this point, Cinaed had visibly paled, and was barely holding himself off the ground. "What's h-h-happening to me..?" he managed to gasp out, before his vision faded and he toppled over sideways.

____

When Amathea returned to the outpost, it was nearly dark out as she picked her steps carefully through the precarious rocks. Reaching the outpost with Cinaed slung over her back had proven difficult to say the least. When the peculiar spring had failed to rouse him she had determined to get him back to the others. His condition had only deteriorated though.He was ice cold, and only the occasional groans and murmurs told her that he was still with her at all.

She threw her shoulder into the ajar door, forcing it open against rusted and frozen hinges before heading inside. Jason was asleep, having finally relented to his bodies need for rest, but Ejon had been left on watch to keep an eye on the Taiyou prisoner, and Nagala.

"Ejon, give me a hand," she called out. "Help me get him by the fire, he's frozen."

Cinaed wasn't remotely dressed for the weather, and though that hadn't proven a problem prior to today, something had changed.

as written by Sokka

Ejon would look up as the door was shoved open and immediately spotted the two. He got up and crossed the room to help Amathea with Cinaed. He would pick him up cross the room again and lay him down by the fire grabbing a heavy cloak to put over him.

"What happened out there?" Ejon would ask" Amathea motioning for her to sit by the fire as well he grabbed and handed Amathea an MRE and gave it to her as he then went to look over Cinaed. "Let's hope this fire warms him up."

as written by barney_fife

Once the group had returned, Nagala slowly awoke from her nap, and she slowly shifted to get a better view of the commotion that was unfolding.

She noticed the boy in the T-shirt and she slowly tried to move towards a crate that was nearby. "That fire isn't going to be enough." Nagala said as she moved to her knees, trying to pull the lid off of a nearby crate, and reaching for a Mylar blanket that was contained inside. The reflective blanket also contained a small electrical box that contained the Microfusion cells designed to heat the blanket through small wires spread in the reflective material.

She retrieved the small plastic bag that contained the blanket, and tossed it towards where Cinaed had been laid down.

"Cover him in that, there's some extra clothes in these crates, self heating garments and jackets, and a bunch of other stuff... the kid really wasn't dressed for these kind of conditions, and truly I wonder why he went out like that... This was bound to happen." She added, laying down in her bed slightly.

"I hope evac gets here soon, so I can get some medical attention." Nagala said, checking her wounds.

---

The Taiyou man finally slowly started to come too, he would quickly realize that he was bound, and had no idea where he was.

"Watashi ga ibasho.." As he slowly started to get his bearings, he tugged at his restraints, and began to shout.

"Watashi o hodoku! Ima watashi o hodoku!" He screamed, tugging at his restraints once more.

as written by Tiko

Amethea moved off and left Ejon to see to Cinaed. Getting the kid up off the floor in the first place had been arduous enough. Centaur simply weren't well designed for kneeling.

She threw an irate glance at the Taiyou man shouting from the corner of the room, but she couldn't understand a word he said so she simply ignored him for now. He wasn't her responsibility.

"That could be a problem," she told Nagala. "We scouted the area, but there isn't a shred of anything familiar. The climate, the wildlife, even the language we encountered is unfamiliar to us. There's a chance we're not in the Icy Peaks at all anymore," she explained with a grunt.

The shouts had served to rouse Jason though who grimaced as he sat up.

"I don't suppose any of you speak that language?" he asked as he rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

He'd only managed two hours of rest, but it was better than no sleep at all.

"And what was that you were saying about not in the Icy Peaks?" he asked as he pushed the furs and blankets off him.

"That's not good." Nagala replied, unbuttoning her shirt and looking at her wounds. "That's not good at all, if I don't get some medical attention, these wounds could become infected, and as of now, if you're right, then we don't have the supplies or the know how to treat any complications that could arise from this."

She looked to her portable datapad, and she made a face, but that quickly changed as she held the datapad up.

"Jason! Come here!" She called out, looking back down to the screen. "My Datapad is picking up something, a subspace signal of some kind."

as written by Alara

"Give me a minute," Jason muttered as he reached for his sidearm holster, strapping it on around his waist.

Their situation was rapidly sounding worse and worse by the minute, but if Nagala had a means of contacting her people...

"Alright, I'm up, what is it?" he asked as he approached her, rubbing at the back of his neck which was stiff from sleeping on the cold floor.

as written by Sokka

Ejon would catch the bag and rip it open to remove the blanket before wrapping it around Cinaed. This was a bad case but this blanet would hopefully warm the kid up. He laid some furs on top of the blanket even though it could probably heat him up pretty well it was just his own precaution. He added a bit more wood to the fire before he finally decided to leave Cinaed to warm up.

"Thanks" He said to Nagala. He grabbed two meal packs and tossed them to Nagala and Jason. Ejon went to grab another and paused. "Should I give him one?" He asked pointing a thumb at the taiyou prisoner.

After he heard something about subspace but the word made no sense to Ejon.

Once Jason approached the Admiral, she keyed in a map on her datapad. It wasn't really much of a map, but more of a crude topographical analysis of the surrounding area.

"Check this out." She said, gently turning the screen to face Jason, the Datapad scrolling with text, and a small flashing blue beacon was seen on the screen. "I'm picking up an IFF transponder." She said, pointing to the flashing dot on the screen, and then tapping it.

"It's not something I'm familiar with either..." She said, pointing to the flashing red text on the top of the screen. "It's an Aschen IFF but it's not recorded in the Datalink as of whenever we came here..." She said, frowning some. "I don't know what to make of it, what do you think?"

as written by Tiko

"I don't know anymore than you," Jason answered with a thoughtful frown. "But if it's Aschen like you say, seems it's as good a place as any to start searching for answers. We can't stay here indefinitely, our supplies will only hold out so long; though, with most of the pack animals and vehicles gone, we have more than we could possibly carry at the moment. We'll hold here until you're well enough to move, then we'll set out with as much as we can carry on us."

His eyes shifted to the Taiyou prisoner at Ejon's inquiry.

"Later. I don't want anyone untying him alone," Jason answered.

"I don't know if it's Aschen, the Dataslate says it's on an Aschen IFF frequency, but it's not a confirmed Aschen code, at least, it's not one we're currently using."

She then gestured to the markings.

"And these markings aren't the AHSC emblems, last I checked." She added, showing Jason the revised Aschen seal. "But if it's anything useful to us, maybe we can use it to get off this rock, because according to this, there's no life signs currently. It's like it's just sitting there, ripe for the taking."

as written by Tiko

"Abandoned isn't always a good sign," Jason remarked. "But it's a bearing at least, and that's more than we have at the moment. How are your wounds doing?"

Jason's knowledge of basic first aid didn't come close to a medics knowledge in treating gunshot wounds. She seemed healthier though, and her color was good. It was far change from the woman he was sure was dying as she convulsed beneath his hands.

"I'm alright, the wounds hurt from time to time... if we can get me to that ship, there's an AutoDoc on board, and immersion tanks, we can use that to treat me back to full health." She said, putting the dataslate back down.

"Aside from the IFF signal, I got nothing..." She said, frowning. "No GPS, no Datalink, nada." She added, checking her wounds again. "I wouldn't recommend staying, though.. it could be weeks before I heal up to where I'm able to move, and the IFF beacon looks to be about ninety kilometerons away."

Nagala winced in pain, shifting as she cleared her throat. "At our pace, if we left now.. wow these readouts are... Frak i don't know if I could make it.."

as written by Sokka

Ejon listened to Nagala and Jason. "That's pretty far can we even guarantee we can carry all of the supplies that we currently have that distance?" Ejon asked as if he was mulling something over.

"Maybe we don't need to go that far, we don't know where we are but maybe if there are signals out here maybe there are others out here too. It's a long shot but if there was a village or something similar we might stand a better chance of looking for something closer where we can get some help. " Ejon said.

Nagala calmly made a face as she turned to face Ejon.

"A Ship puts us in a lot better spot than a Village." She commented, while shifting in her spot. "At least with a Ship we can find out where we are at, and use it to go where we need to be." She explained.

"I can also radio for evac from there."

as written by Tiko

"Yeah, but he's right about the supplies," Jason interjected. "We have more than enough to last us for weeks, and no way to carry it all. We'll hole up here a few days and then set out with whatever we can carry on us. Maybe the others will find us before then, maybe not. But you could use the bed rest, and it'll give us time to scout the terrain and get a feel for what we're dealing with here. Marching off blindly with you out of commission won't do us any good. Do you think you can radio the ship from here?" he asked. "If we can't go to them yet, maybe they can come to us."

as written by Script

"Wh... what's going on?"

Cinaed's voice was faint and wavering, but his eyes had flickered open and he had regained consciousness. He looked across at where the others were speaking, still pale as a sheet. "Jason..? I'm back at the tower?"

Then he remembered what had happened. His eyes widened and his expression became mortified. "Th- the mirror!" he stammered, "Amethea! Where- what happened to it?"

Nagala nodded somewhat in approval. "You know... that's a good idea, they could send a rescue party and get us back to the ship, Hell they could even probably fly to us, it'd cut a lot of time off of our trip, that's for sure..."

Then ext thing she did was reach for her communicator, keying it to the frequencies of the landed ship, she brought the communicator to her mouth.

"Nagala to Pathfinder." She chimed in, but there was silence on her radio.

"Okay..." She muttered.

"Fleet Actual to Pathfinder, respond..." She hailed again, and again there was no response.

"Fleet Actual to Pathfinder Actual, radio check, respond!" She called into her radio, louder this time, and there was still no response.

She frowned and turned to Jason, shaking her head. "Nothing..."

as written by Sokka

Ejon would listen to Jason and Nagala, "No response? Can we be sure the ships isn't abandoned?" Ejon asked with a raised brow. "I'd hate for us to head out there only to find no one there to actually help us. I mean if you go out cold I know I for sure cannot operate that thing. I just don't like pinning all of our hopes on this one ship." Ejon said shaking his head.

"Or you know if the thing is full of bandits that might be bad too...." He said shaking his head. He perked up a bit though when he hear Cinaed speak.

as written by Script

"I..." Cinaed hesitated, "The mirror. I looked into it, and there was... fire, heat. Everything that was... me, embodied in the shape of a flaming bird. I felt a connection with it, but when I reached out to it..."

He shuddered at the memory. "It burned. I've never... felt burning before. No heat has ever hurt me. But I couldn't pull away." He looked across at Amethea, "That's when you ... you smashed it, didn't you? And then everything went cold. I've walked through a blizzard in the icy peaks to the point of exhaustion and never felt a chill. But now ..."

Cinaed shivered. "I feel like I'm frozen to the core. Even here next to the fire. I feel ... empty. That mirror took part of me away. Something that made me what I am. Even though I've never known what that is, I know it's gone now. It's horrible. It's like I've been gutted."

The teen wrapped his arms around himself as though he were still sitting in the snow, and there was a glint of moisture in his eyes, his expression miserable. His endless wellspring of positivity had, it seemed, run dry.

Back