Bensington Noir IC

ChelonianCommander

Strength of Steel, Will of Iron
1:21 AM, Moorland Park

In the dead of night, a van drives up into a dirt hill overlooking a park lake. The driver casually stops and turns off the headlights before exiting the vehicle. The driver walks to the back of the car and opens the passenger seat as a the woman begs and cries to be let go. The woman's pleas fell on deaf ears as the driver forcefully pulls her out of passenger seats and throws her to the ground. The woman tries to crawl away as the driver began to open up the trunk of the van, in search in something. She leaves a bloody trail as she crawls away and the driver allows her, letting the woman reach several yards away from the van before the driver walks up to her with a crowbar and began hitting her several times in the head to kill her. When the 6 or 7 strikes didn't finish her off, the driver pulls out a silenced pistol and firing off two shots, finally putting her to rest. The driver looks at their work before going back into their van and driving away with the headlights off to avoid detection. They leave the corpse lying there for all the world to see their gruesome deed.

---

8:03, CPD HQ

Chief Martha Franz, a Witch around the age of 60 with black hair and wearing a brown suit and red tie, enters the briefing room where all available detectives are gathered for deployment.

"Good morning everyone. Now take your seats." Said the woman and the detectives took their seats as she walks up to a podium and assesses some papers. "First things first, I would like to congratulate Detective Grant Flennings for his 27 years of dedicated service. The department has decided that we should hold a potluck to celebrate this retirement from the force. I expect all of you to attend if you are able. Now onto business..." Martha looks over the papers before addressing the detectives. "There has been a homicide in Bensington outside of the commune. Now as you know, normally we would let normals deal with their own murders, but this is different. The victim was an angel, found last night in Moorland Park outside of the Commune and inside Bensington. Brimstone, Richardson and Michigan, I want you on the case. Michigan you're lead detective. Look for a man named Frank Eastland. He'll a human and our connection for the case. He'll give you whatever assistance you need. That's all for today. You're all dismissed." Said Martha and with that she leaves, letting the Detectives to go about their business.

(Start at the park)

-----

9:36, Moorland Park

The team has been outfitted with Thaumaturgy to hide their non-human features as needed and had been sent to the Bensington Moorland Park via teleportation.

At the top of the hill is a small group of curious bystanders and reporters had gathered around the crime scene. The Bensington PD had already secured the area, keeping people from entering any further and seeing the body. A Bensington detective is waiting for the team to arrive, a 46 year old man with blond hair, wearing a blue suit and brown tie. Upon seeing the team the man walks up to the group. "Morning detectives. We've kept the crime scene nice and warm for you. Mind if I ask you if we're looking at your average homicide or this is more special kind?" He asks.

Last edited:
Grant Michigan - Moorland Park

"The special kind. Franz sent us." Grant replied. "I appreciate the welcome." He said with a nod, showing the man his badge. "We'll try not to take up too much of our time." He crossed the police line soon after, and made his way to the scene.

"Looks like someone was angry." Grant commented, standing above the cadaver. His eyes wandered over the body, and the trail of blood, as he set his hands inside the pockets of his black dress pants. He shivered in the cold autumn breeze. "A young lady, murdered by night in the quiet of a suburban park."

"No traffic or security cameras caught the scene on film, and, as of yet, we have no witnessess. It's quite the conundrum." He said, carefully stepping over the blood trail to the other side of the corpse. He remained silent a few moments longer, analyzing the scene, his eyes wandering from place to place. "From the looks of things, the officers here before us took the liberty of documenting the scene, and the body will be sent to the mortician after this for an autopsy, should the next of kin, can we find them, consent. No one has touched our dear subject here before us, and the evidence has been contaminated only by the elements: a light wind, and a mostly cloudy night, with a similar morning."

"I have my initial theories on this, but I'd like to hear what you two think first." He said to them, eyes still wandering about the scene. He passed each of them a pair of latex gloves from within his jacket pocket.

Barry Blauer - Moorland Park

Barry broke through the crowd and approached a young looking officer "William it's so nice to see you again how's the wife" William gave a small smile "She's good Mr. Blauer just gave birth actually, baby girl" the demon returned his smile then replied "That's amazing congratulations. Now as a concerned citizen may I ask what's going on here." The young officer looked uncomfortable but spoke up "A young woman's been killed they haven't identified her yet." Barry listened to the young man "That is strange now, isn't it? how did she die" William shook his head " It seems like the woman was beaten then shot". Barry nodded "Thank you Will and tell the wife best wishes."

Barry stood silently near the front of the crowd surveying the scene. Every now and then he would meet familiar eyes which he would wave at with a smile. His focus however was the large black haired man who was passing gloves to other people. His other focus is the crime scene in general which he found interesting. The trail in particular showed more about the killer than about their victim.

Still behind police tape, the well-dressed demon spoke up
"Well, detective Michigan if I had to guess the killer wanted her to suffer. He's cocky giving her a chance to crawl away as you can see from the trail but that's all I can really see from here. Depending on how the wounds were inflicted it's either sloppy work from someone who didn't know what they were doing or a pleasurable game from someone who wanted to savor his moment" Barry removed his green-tinted glasses exposing his eyes completely devoid of color.

Last edited:
Drahken Brimstone - Moorland Park

Brimstone closely followed behind Grant as the entered the scene. The massive man looked somewhat like a bouncer with his Black dress pants and long sleeve shirt. After doing the usual procedure of showing his badge he stepped into the crime zone. "You're right about the angry part" he muttered pulling on the gloves.

The large man looked at the corpse, noting the position and blood trail. "Well, it's pretty obvious she crawled from over there, but what was she crawling from? Besides the killer of course..." He walks over to the start of the trail and looks over the dirt tracks left behind. "These tracks look like they came from some sort of commercial vehicle. Possibly some sort of truck." He turned around and headed back to the group

"Why take the chance of being spotted in the park instead of killing her somewhere more remote? There are plenty of forests that are perfect for this kind of murder. I doubt any newbie would be brazen enough to leave the body here. This guy is pretty ballsy I'll give him that much. Could be a person who's lived here their whole life. Or at least long enough to know the schedules around here.." The large man crouched as he spoke, noting a tiny glint in the head wound. "Anybody got a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass?" He asked standing upright.

Last edited:

The blue devil lights up "Now that is a good point Detective Brimstone. Why did they leave the body out here? Why not somewhere remote with no chance of the deed being found or at least give time for the body to get cold." Barry glances towards the crowd before giving a knowing smile.

Grant eyed down the demon for several moments. A demon, the man informed him, by removing his spectacles. He made a mental note of the man. Demons were often slippery to deal with, but their age usually gave them quite the advantage when it came to analyzing human behavior. Grant nodded respectfully to him. He held up his index finger wordlessly, asking him to wait a minute, before turning back to the task at hand.

He had his thoughts fully formed, so he decided to speak then, before Detective Richardson. "Here's my take on it. At the start of the blood trail," He said, squatting down and pointing carefully near it, "there's a large amount of skin scraped off here. The stretching and tearing around her shirt collar would indicate that the missus here was pulled from the vehicle." He said casually. "There's no marks I can see around the wrists indicating she was bound, meaning when she was pulled from the vehicle, she wasn't restrained. And from where the trail starts on the road, it looks like she was riding in the passenger seat when she was so roughly evicted from her vehicle."

"So our good girl here was in one of tow situations I can think of. She was either held captive by the driver and only the driver, using the gun he shot her with, or she was a group of men, held at gunpoint from a man in the backseat. If we go with Detective Brimstone's assumption that we're dealing with a commercial vehicle, which I think is fair, judging from how fat the tire marks are, and how widely they are spaced, is a good one, we're talking a two door vehicle. They're near universally two door. So she wasn't held from the back, but from the side, and by a single person."

Grant stood up, replaying the mental image in his mind. "So the vehicle pulled up, stopped quickly, and the driver got out and yanked the woman to the ground roughly. She crawled over, stunned and in shock, until the killer reached her with his weapon. He hit her several times, and shot her at point black range, judging from the powder burns, then got in his vehicle, and sped off." He paused, thinking over everything he said with the same impassive face he usually wore.

"That's my take on what happened, exactly. Either of you have anything else to add?" He asked, eyes darting back and forth between them.

Detective Eastland- Moorland Park

The detective walks up to the group as they chatted with a young officer holding a notepad accompanying him. "Sorry to intrude detectives but this here is Officer Benson. He's the first one on the scene. He actually came across the body while jogging believe it or not. He's new and a little shaky, but ask him whatever you need. As for the suspect I was able to gather up some information about the victim an hour before you got here. Thought it might help your investigation." Said Detective Eastland. He pats the man on the back before walking away. "Take care of the boy. Don't scare him to much." Eastland joked before turning his attention to Barry. "Hey you mook. Get the hell out of here! Officials only!" He tries to chase the demon off the crime scene. He had enough on his plate without vultures coming in to mess things up.

Officer Benson watches as the senor detective walks off before turning to the three new detectives. "Uh...yes. As Detective Eastland had already said, I came across the body when I was out for my morning jog. I uh...took some notes before I called in back up before I went home to change. I'm uh...I keep a pencil and notepad in case I see something I like that I wanna draw." He quickly takes a look at his notepad before continuing. "From what we gathered the victim is a 22 year old woman by the name of Abbie Fisher. She works uh...I mean worked for a local bar called the Open Casket. At a glance there's two large wounds on her back, caused by an edged weapon of sorts as if someone was cutting off something from her, maybe making his-their mark or taking some sort of sick trophy. The victim has also taken several blows to the head and two gunshot wounds to the head. That's all I could write down. Uh...will that be sufficient detectives?"

Barry frowns "Ah poor Abbie she was such a nice gal never knew her personally." Barry then starts to turn away "I know when i'm not wanted and I need to see someone about a drink anyway but before I go you really need to think of two very important things. One how did someone like Abbie not fight back. I assume you know why there were wounds on her back but I mean before that. And secondly why was the body placed here." He then starts to walk away "If whoever did this wanted it to be found I think you can get an idea of what this guy wants" The green eyed demon disappeared in the crowd.

Last edited:

The large detective crouched down when he received the needed tools and extracted two small pieces of metal. "This probably came from whatever the murderer used to cave in her skull. Take it to forensics and see if they can piece it together." He says, tossing the bag to a nearby officer. " He then turned to Detective Grant and Eastland. "That seems to be the case. But why the two cuts? Does he take some sort of sick satisfaction from mutilating his victims?" He glanced back at the body before looking back at the detectives. "Maybe it's some sort of ritual?" he shrugged

Grant stared at the body, deeply uncomfortable. "I think we may be overlooking something about the wounds on her back, gentlemen." Grant covered his face with a gloved hand in a rare moment of shock. "She is an angel, yes? Look at her bones." He pointed to her back, near the large, ugly gashes. The bones around her shoulder contained the base structure of a wing. "She's not affected by thaumaturgy." Grant hushed his voice, so no bystanders would here, and looked Brimstone and Eastland in the eye.

"The killer chopped off her wings, and took them home. This is a trophy killing, Detectives, no doubt about it."

Detective Eastland - Moorland Park

"Mmm hmmm. Anyways I might as well show you what we found so far." Said Detective Eastland. He takes the detectives over to some already marked evidence.

A) A small purse. Inside is the victim's Driver's License, College ID for Mauveberry University and some beer tickets for the Open Casket.
B) Some size 11 shoe prints made by heavy boots.
C) A lighter made in the shape of a cask with the phrase 'The Open Casket" written on the side.

"Now I know it isn't my business to get involved with you folk, so I'll just leave you to it. Come to me when you're done and I'll arrange some transportation." Said Eastland

Brimstone nodded at the man before turning to Detective Grant. "This person has to have some sort of knowledge of our kind. Unless she wasn't disguised. I think I should take a look at the bar she works at. Maybe then we can get some more clues." Brimstone said in a somewhat quieter tone.

"I suppose so. Hopefully we can find something there." He said, somewhat impassive. "Given the... nature, of this killing, I highly doubt it was random. Hopefully we'll be able to figure out where she met our mystery killer from The Open Casket." Grant pulled of his gloves and threw them in a nearby trashcan.

"You said something about transportation, Eastland? I think we're about finished here."

"Yeah. I got a car waiting for you all. It's the least I can do to help." Eastland said. He takes the detectives to a requisitioned taxi and after slipping the taxi driver a Franklin he tells the driver to head to the Open Casket. Around a 10 minute drive the taxi reached a small bar located on the corner of Gallon and Mistletoe. The bar itself is a rather run down, but at the same time managed well enough with faded brown paint on its walls and on its front is a sign and logo 'The Open Casket' next to a skeleton rising form an open coffin raising a glass of liquid in celebration. Upon entering the bar smelled of alcohol and peanuts. Inside is a dozen or so patrons and tending to the bar is gruff looking man with black hair and brown eyes. He walks over to the detective and addresses them.

"I don't get many suits this time of day. I assume you're here about the money?" Asks the man.

??? - Open casket

Inside the bar is the quiet murmur of various patrons going about their business.

On a stool beside the bar itself sits a man with a gray suit quietly chatting with a nearby woman. The man wears black aviator sunglasses covering his eyes. The woman herself wears sunglasses though she doesn't move her head as if sight is something she doesn't have. They seem to drone on about random topics about their day.

In the corner is an old man with his face obscured by a newspaper several days too old. He wears a tattered jacket filled with holes and dirt. Every now and again he would glance from his paper to look at the newcomers but his features are incredibly hard to make out although his body is tense.

Finally, a raven with pitch black eyes had somehow gotten into the bar. His feathers black as night and his focus seem to be on the leftovers on the tables. However, it glances all over the room its head craning side to side as if waiting for something or expecting something to happen.

An averagely-sized female walked into the bar, attractive in a subdued, almost ethereal way. Her tanned skin seemed paler than normal, the creases across her forehead as well as the dullness in her usually bright, turquoise-coloured eyes showing that some sort of anxiety was plaguing her mind. She tucked a stray piece of her blonde, waist length curly hair out her face before wiping her hands on the tight jeans she wore before inhaling deeply to calm her troubled self. Her eager eyes scanned the room, coming across the barman talking to some people dressed way too smartly for an establishment like this. Either cops or loan-shark lackeys looking for a debt to be paid. She thought to herself, not waiting but instead making a beeline for where the barman was standing.

The girl, who went by the name of Valerie Lyra, spoke in a soft but clearly worried tone as she interrupted the men's conversation with a query aimed at the black-haired barman. "I am sorry to disturb you, but did you see Abbie last night after I left, or hear where she was going...she didn't come home last night." She eyed the men in suits with wary, distrusting eyes, pulling down the bottom of the grey sweater she wore with delicately shaped fingers before rolling her shoulders to ease the tension in her muscles there. Her wings always grew restlessly when she was in a bothered mood and Abbie's disappearance without an explanation would cause such displeasure that the feathered appendages, currently molded perfectly to her back to keep them out of sight, would be giving her an itching sensation.

She returned her gaze to the barman, wetting her peach-toned lips before continuing to speak "You know it's not like her to at least leave a note or a text on what's going on Jerry. I waited all morning and even woke up to check if she was back but there was no sign that she had."

Drahken Brimstone - Open Casket

The huge man stepped out of the Taxi with a wince. "This is why I hate vehicles like those. Always so cramped." He whined whirling his neck in a circle. The detective followed his partner inside and quietly stood behind him as he spoke to the bartender and the female that interrupted the two. "Should I take this?" he asked Grant stepping towards the female trying to make himself seem a friendly as possible as to not look like a threat.

Grant Michigan - The Open Casket

Grant stepped into the bar with a frown. He never liked these places, always too grimy, and the patrons never good. But, they were on work, so he kept his mouth shut and surveyed the room, finding little of interest. He ran a hand over his shaved head. Hearing Drahken's offer, he made a sweeping gesture with his arm. "Be my guest." He said in reply. "My dour disposition never helps too much with these kind of things." He muttered sarcastically.

The bartender was irritated by the waitress's intrusion. "Go wait the tables. I'll talk to the guests." He told her before readdressing the detectives. "What do you want detectives? I'm just a bartender. Name's Jonah by the way. Jonah Clark. Jerry's a nickname of mine." He pours the detectives several quick drinks of whisky and invites them to sit at the bar to talk. "Now this is about Abbie? What about her? Is she doing ok?"

Drahken Brimstone - The Open Casket

"Sir, if you don't mind I'd actually like to the speak the waitress separately. If she knows anything about Abbie's whereabouts last night we need to know." The detective replies. Drahken made his way over to the Waitress and held out his hand to say 'after you'. "Do you mind if we speak in private?" he asked gently leading the woman away from Grant and the patrons.

Back